Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: And now, the hunt begins. Throughout my story I have tried to use as many obscure clues that JKR left hidden on the pages of her books. This was one of the things that stood out for me that really didn't get any closure. Thank-you to all of you who have been reading and reviewing, the last chapter was tough, but I wanted you to understand the true evilness and self-centeredness (is that a word?) of Voldemort. Our hero has his work cut out for him.

Perhaps if I put these characters on my Christmas wish list, I'll find them under tree wrapped up in a pretty bow! Until then…

Chapter 24

Elegant Evil

The next morning when Harry got up he found Hermione hunched over a stack of books at the table. He walked up behind her and began to massage the knots out of her shoulders.

Hermione sat back and closed her eyes. She was enjoying this newfound relationship with Harry. It felt good to have him care about her so much.

"Mmm, that feels good, Harry," she sighed.

"Good morning," Harry said, as he nuzzled her neck. "Anything of interest in those books?" He asked as he continued his ministrations.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked down at the book in front of her.

"Nothing much. I've found some interesting spells from the Auror training books, and I was just about to see if I could find anything on the four founders of Hogwarts. We still haven't found anything from Ravenclaw. Oh, and I've found a safe house for our emergency Portkey. It's near Grimmauld Place."

Harry chuckled as she detailed her findings.

"What's so funny?" Hermione asked as she turned in her chair to look at him.

"I would be interested to see what you consider `much' if this was `nothing much'," Harry said as he sat in the chair next to her.

"Well, I figured that since I've finished all of my assignments for this term and made up all of the schedules for the next two months of patrol, I would try and see if I could…mphf!"

Harry couldn't help it, he kissed her. He smiled when he felt her responding to him. He pulled away from her and looked her in the eyes.

"You work too much," he said as he pulled her from the table and led her over to the couch.

Hermione grabbed Hogwarts: A Complete History as she was dragged away from the table. Laughing, she fell on to Harry's lap and he wrapped his arms around her waist. Harry treasured these quiet moments with Hermione. They filled him with… contentment? Love? He wasn't sure really. He just knew that he enjoyed every minute with her. The thought of losing her…He hugged her closer and breathed in the scent that was all Hermione as his mind flashed back to the scene in Hogsmeade yesterday. It scared him to think that he almost lost her. The fear of living his life without her seemed to stab at his heart, making it hard to breathe. He buried his face in her hair, wishing that he could figure out a way to keep her safe.

"What's on your mind?" Hermione asked absentmindedly.

"I just want you to be safe," Harry said. "Next time we go out, stay with me, okay?"

Hermione looked at him and frowned. "Are you saying that I can't take care of myself? Because if you are, then that's a big contradiction to what you said the other night about me being stronger than I think."

"No, it's just-"

"Harry, just because we are seeing each other, it doesn't mean you can fight all my battles for me."

"But-"

"No buts Harry. I want this to be an equal relationship."

"But, that's twice now you've been caught unaware. I just figure you need some protection."

The minute he saw the hurt in her eyes and felt the way she stiffened against him, he knew it was the wrong thing to say. He mentally kicked himself. Hermione placed her book on the sofa, got up, and turned to look at him.

"Then I guess my earlier assessment about my reaction to Dolohov was right, and you believe it too, otherwise you wouldn't have said that. Perhaps I had better get some more training if I ever want you to treat me as your equal," she said stiffly before grabbing her bag and heading for the door.

"Hermione, wait!" Harry called, but she was gone.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" Harry muttered as he hit his head against the back of the sofa.

"Talking about yourself again, mate?" Ron said as he came from his room. "You do know that's the first sign of insanity. Now, if you were answering yourself, well, then, I'm afraid it's too late."

"Yeah, how did you guess?" Harry sighed. "Hermione is mad at me."

"Hey! I thought we had a deal that you wouldn't hurt her!" Ron accused, pointing a finger at Harry.

"I wasn't trying to hurt her, I was just trying to explain that I wanted her to stay safe. I…I need to know that she is safe."

"Do you want me to stay safe too?" Ron asked.

"Of course! I don't want either one of you to get hurt."

"And how do you want me to stay safe?" Ron said.

"Well, by being aware of what's going on around you, and, uh…practicing spells, and uh…damn," he trailed off, realizing what he had done.

Ron folded his arms over his chest. "And so that's what you told Hermione as well, right?"

Harry sighed and slumped his shoulders. "No, I told her to stay by me so I could protect her."

"You know, Harry, your earlier assessment was bang on, you are stupid."

"Thanks for confirming it," Harry said. "Do you think she'll forgive me?"

"Maybe, but you don't have time to grovel now. You've got Mad-eye Moody this morning and only a half an hour for breakfast," Ron said as he headed towards the door. "Coming?"

"Yeah," Harry sighed.

***** ***** *****

Harry slowly picked himself up off the floor, wincing as he rubbed his hip. That last spell hurt and he knew Mad-eye Moody was toning it down slightly.

Moody stumped over to where Harry was now standing and glared at him.

"I'm disappointed in you, Potter. You would have been dead five times by now. What do you think this is? A game?"

Harry shook his head. "Sorry. I guess I'm just a bit distracted today."

"Oh, that's a shame," Moody said sarcastically. "Be sure to tell You-Know-Who if it's one of your off days. I'm sure he'll postpone killing you until you are more focused."

Moody stomped back to the other side of the room. "Prepare yourself, Potter. I'm not going to hold back this time."

Harry limped through the portrait hole and headed straight for the couch of their common room. He couldn't remember a time when he hurt all over like this. Not even after a tough Quidditch match. He lay down on the couch, knocking Hermione's book on to the floor.

He reached over and picked it up and sighed. He had looked for her after lunch, but was unable to find her without using his map, and he didn't have the time to retrieve it. He absentmindedly flipped through her book, looking more at the pictures than actually reading. Suddenly he stopped as he came across a picture of the four founders. He had seen this picture before, somewhere in the school, but never really paid it any mind. He stared at it now, taking in its details as the four founders moved and stretched. At one point Godric Gryffindor pulled out his sword and wiped off a mark that only he could see. Harry's eyes shifted to Salazar Slytherin and Harry watched as he sneered at Godric's actions. When Godric turned to look at him, Salazar pretended to be interested in something in his hand.

The locket…Harry realized as he watched the founder trace the ornate `S' with his thumb. Harry scanned the picture again, his eyes lighting upon Helga Hufflepuff. She was sipping wine with a demure look on her face.

The cup…he thought excitedly. He scanned Rowena Ravenclaw, looking to see what she had in her hands…nothing.

Harry slumped back in disappointment as he watched Rowena raise her empty hands to fuss with her hair. As one hand smoothed down any stray locks, the other straightened a small tiara perched on her head. Harry frowned. He had seen that tiara before. Suddenly his eyes widened and any sign of fatigue left his body. He jumped up and walked over to the table, placing the open book on top of the many papers there. He thought back to a time last year as he leaned over the book, studying the picture.

Harry paced back and forth in from of the Room of Requirement. `I need a place to hide my book, I need a place to hide my book, I need a place to hide my book.' A door materialized and Harry rushed in.

Harry closed his eyes. I held it in my hand and used it as a marker.

He turned and headed towards the opening. Just as he was reaching the entrance, the portrait swung open and Ron came in.

"Ron! I've got it! It's here!"

"Bloody hell! Is it catching?" Ron said jokingly.

"No! A Horcrux! I found it!"

"What? Where is it?" Ron said.

Harry headed towards the door, expecting Ron to follow.

"Do you remember when I had that Potions book and I needed to hide it? It's in the Room of Requirement."

"Snape's book is a Horcrux?" Ron asked as he hurried to keep up with his friend.

"No! I hid the book in a cabinet and then used an old tiara to mark where it was. I think the tiara belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw."

"What makes you think the tiara is hers?" Asked Ron.

"I just saw a picture of her and she was wearing it. Here," Harry stopped, and thought back to the words he said that fateful day. When he finished pacing, the door materialized. Harry opened the door and jogged slowly past several alleyways until he saw the broken vanishing cabinet. He slowly approached the large acid-blistered cupboard at the end of the hall, his eyes never leaving the chipped old bust with the wig on it. Ron came up beside him and looked at the tiara perched on the dusty old wig.

"Is that it?" Ron asked quietly.

Harry nodded, not taking his eyes off of the tiara.

"Do you think we can touch it?"

Harry reached out and gently pulled the tarnished tiara from the wig. He had touched it before; he knew it was safe, for now. Harry stared at the headpiece, taking in the intimate details and variety of stones in the settings. Even though it was tarnished with age, it was classy, without being gaudy. The creak of a cabinet door made Harry turn and see Ron opening the cabinet.

"I wonder if that was one of Hagrid's earlier pets?" Ron murmured, looking at the five-legged skeleton.

He leaned in and retrieved the hated potion master's book.

"May as well get it while we are here," Ron said with a shrug.

Harry turned and headed back down the aisle.

"Where are you going?" Ron said as he scanned some of the other items on the shelves, his eyes hungrily taking in some of the forgotten treasures.

"Back to the common room," Harry replied. "I want to check this out in private."

Harry placed the tiara on the table and sat down to look at it. He had no idea how he was going to attempt to connect with the soul fragment he thought was inside.

"So now what?" Ron said, dropping into the chair beside him.

"I guess we try the revealing spell," Harry said a he took out his wand; Ron followed suit.

"Ostendo Vestri Veneficus," Harry said as he pointed his wand at the tiara.

Harry focused all of his energy on the tiara, and…nothing.

"Did it work?" Ron asked. "I didn't see it glow."

Harry slumped his shoulders and sat back.

"No," he said dejectedly. He had been so sure…

"Didn't you say that Dumbledore said you have to connect yourself to it or something?" Ron asked.

Harry picked up the crown with a glimmer of hope, and repeated the spell. Nothing happened.


"Well, maybe you have to wear it," Ron suggested.

Harry looked at him like he was nutters, then sighed. He was running out of ideas.

"Not one word of this to anyone, Ron, or you won't be able to sit comfortably on a broom ever again."

"Wizard's honor," Ron said with a smirk.

Harry scowled at him before closing his eyes and carefully placing the tiara on his head. Hearing a snort, he opened his eyes to look at Ron.

"This isn't funny, Ron," Harry frowned.

"Who said I was laughing?" A red-faced Ron replied as he tried to control the sudden twitch of his lips.

"OstendoVestri Veneficus," he said again.

Ron looked around warily. "I don't see anything, do you feel any different?"

"No," Harry sighed. He had been so sure that this was it.

The portrait door swung open and the two friends turned to see Hermione come through the doorway. She stopped to take in the scene before her.

"Some sort of initiation I missed?" She asked sarcastically.

Harry grabbed the tiara off of his head and tossed it on to the table to the sounds of Ron's laughter.

Harry warily watched as his girlfriend came towards them, wondering if he could still call her that. He flushed, feeling foolish and apprehensive all at once. Hermione, for her part, ignored Harry and went to the table, picking up the discarded crown.

"What's this all about?" She asked. "Ow!"

Harry was beside her in an instant, grabbing her hand.

"What's wrong? Are you okay? Do you need help?"

"I'm fine, Harry," Hermione said, yanking her hand back in annoyance. "I just cut my finger on one of the broken jewel clasps," she frowned as she looked at the blood smear across one of the jewels.

"Harry found one of the Horcruxes, or so he thought," Ron said, bringing her out of her musings.

"The tiara?"

"Yeah, it supposedly belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw," Ron said.

"And so you decided to go and get it without me?" She said coldly.

"Well, uh…" Ron stammered, his eyes following Harry as he flopped down dejectedly on the couch.

"It doesn't matter, Hermione," Harry said as he rubbed his eyes under his glasses and leaned back. "It's not a Horcrux."

"What makes you so sure?" She asked, inspecting the crown again.

"Because I used the reveal spell and nothing happened."

"So not only did you go and get the Horcrux, but you tried to destroy it as well? Without me?"

Harry could hear the hurt in her voice.

"I'm sorry, Hermione, okay? I just got caught up in the excitement of the moment."

"He would have gone alone if I hadn't arrived when I did. He's not singling you out, Hermione." Ron said.

Ron found himself in a strange situation. Here he was trying to play peacemaker between his two friends instead of the one who caused the fight. Hermione ignored both of them as she continued to inspect the tarnished but elegant headpiece.

"What did you try?" She asked as she sat down at the table.

Ron looked over at Harry who didn't even seem to be paying attention.

"Well, Harry tried the revealing spell while the tiara was on the table and then when he held it, but it didn't work, so we thought maybe you have to wear it."

"And that's why Harry was playing princess when I came in," Hermione said as she plopped the tiara on her head.

"Right. Harry had just said `Osteo Ven…' something or other," Ron said.

"Ostendo Vestri Veneficus," Harry repeated tiredly.

`I can't believe how difficult this is. How am I ever going to find these Horcruxes?' Harry thought.

"Harry-"

`What if it wasn't something connected to the founders or the school? What if we are on the wrong track? What if-'

"Harry!"

"What, Ron?" Harry said irritably as he was brought out of his musings.

"Something's happened…"

-->