Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

Second Author's note: I have re-loaded this chapter after a glitch appeared on the original story. Sorry for any confusion.

A/N: Greetings loyal readers! For those of you who are following along, our friends have themselves in a spot of trouble, and it's going to get worse before it can get better. Here is your latest installment, a chance to see how nasty Voldemort can be. Thanks to all of you for leaving a review, it warms my heart. Thanks also to Dementor149 for poking me every once and a while to make sure I am doing my job. Happy reading!

The characters are not mine, but I think that I understand them so well, and feel the angst at what they are going through… oh wait! I wrote them that way!

Chapter 53

Sending an Invitation

Hermione shifted slightly and winced as fresh pain shot down her arms and seemed to explode in her shoulders. She wasn't sure how long they had been there, but she vaguely wondered is she would ever be able to lower her arms again. Voldemort seemed to be waiting for something, and she could see he was getting impatient. She heard a commotion by the doors and turned to see Greyback push through a group of Death Eaters and make his way to where Voldemort was sitting. He approached the Dark Lord, but did not bow and simper like so many others.

"Fernir, my friend. How did the raid go?" Voldemort asked.

Greyback gave a feral grin that made Hermione's blood run cold.

"Successful," he replied. "Scrimgeour lives for now, a puppet at your command. I left one of my associates, Silvertongue, to help him remember his place."

"And this Silvertongue, he knows not to kill him yet?" Voldemort asked.

Greyback narrowed his eyes at him. "He answers to me," he growled.

Voldemort gave him a tight smile. "Of course," he said.

There was a moment of silence, which was broken by two Death Eaters arguing as they dragged a student through the doors of the Great Hall.

"My story to tell, Alecto," the shorter one wheezed.

"I just don't want my part left out, Amycus. You tend to do that," Alecto said.

Hermione couldn't see who it was, as the hood of the school robe was covering the student's head. From the way the person was staggering though, the two Death Eaters hadn't been too kind. As they approached the Dark Lord, they pushed the student, who fell to the ground in front of the small crowd.

"Found `er in the library," Amycus said. "All by ourselves, we did."

"I saw her first," whined Alecto.

The student sat up and pulled the hood off of her head.

Hermione gasped.

It was Luna.

Hermione glanced over at Ron, who was straining against the chains, a tortured look on his face. She could tell he was battling with himself, trying not to make the situation worse by calling out. Voldemort briefly glanced at the girl before glaring at the brother and sister. The silence in the hall became deafening, and the two backed up fearfully, not too sure what they had done wrong. The lopsided leer fell from Amycus' face.

"You interrupted our meeting," Voldemort said quietly.

"Apologies, my Lord," Alecto said, bobbing her head and bowing low.

Amycus watched for a moment before mimicking his sister's moves. Voldemort glared at them for a moment longer, and the two Death Eaters flinched, realizing their mistake.

Greyback cleared his throat.

"As for the other matter," he began, as the brother and sister slinked off to avoid the Dark Lord's wrath, all thoughts of a reward being dropped.

Voldemort smiled and held out his hand. "You have it?" he asked.

"I do not fail in my missions," Greyback said as he pulled out the chain.

Hermione could see a red pendant spinning on the end.

Voldemort eagerly reached forward, but Greyback curled his hand around it.

"My payment?" he asked.

Voldemort sat back in annoyance.

Greyback nodded to where Luna had been trying to sit unobtrusively.

"What about that one? She's pretty," he grinned and licked his lips.

"NO! LEAVE HER ALONE!" Ron yelled, as he pulled on his chains, ignoring the pain as the cuffs cut into his wrists, desperate to get loose.

The Death Eaters around the hall laughed and Draco watched the scene in fascination. Voldemort smiled as he watched Ron struggle. He turned back to where the Ravenclaw was sitting.

"Stand up, child. What is your name?"

Luna slowly stood, and after a quick glance at Ron, turned to the Dark Lord.

"Luna Lovegood," she said quietly.

"Lovegood? As in the Quibbler?" Voldemort asked.

"My Father," Luna said.

"I am presuming he has taught you the value of doing as you are told?" Voldemort asked.

Luna nodded. "Daddy has taught me many things, including how to catch nargles without having to kiss anyone."

The Death Eaters laughed again.

"I see," Voldemort said with a small smile.

"Well?" Greyback said as he wiped the saliva from his mouth with his sleeve.

Voldemort studied him for a moment, and Greyback twitched.

"Did you happen to see Harry Potter at the Ministry?" he asked. "I heard he was there."

Greyback fidgeted for a moment, avoiding Voldemort's glare.

"I smelled him," he finally said, "but I did not see him."

Voldemort held out his hand again, and after a moment's hesitation, Greyback placed the pendant there.

Voldemort held it up, studying the pendant.

"I'm glad you completed your mission, so you shall be rewarded."

Hermione heard Ron's intake of breath as Greyback started towards Luna.

"However, I would have been more generous if you had brought the boy as well. I have plans for this one. You may have one of those," he said as he waved at the cages.

"They're no fun when they're asleep," Greyback grumbled.

Voldemort rolled his eyes and took out his wand. Greyback flinched, thinking he had pushed too far.

"Enervate," he said as he waved it at the cages.

"Satisfied?" he said sarcastically.

Greyback bowed as he moved towards the cages where the staff and students were beginning to stir, and Hermione closed her eyes as she heard one of the students cry out, her Gryffindor courage failing her.

"I feel I am a patient man," Voldemort said, and Hermione's eyes snapped open as she realized he was right in front of her.

"However, your friend seems to be taking his time returning. Perhaps he needs some persuasion?"

Hermione held her breath, afraid of what he had planned.

"The vial, Severus," Voldemort said and Snape moved to the Dark Lord's side, and placed the bottle in his hand before going over and standing beside Draco.

Voldemort smiled slowly as he looked at the three.

"Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe, which of you will be the first to go?" he chanted.

He moved in front of Ginny, who tried to move away as far as the chains would allow, which wasn't much. Voldemort smiled in amusement, and moved back to stand in front of Hermione. He reached out and stroked her cheek, as she tried to move away.

"I have such plans for the two of you," he said quietly, before moving to stand in front of Ron. "As for you…"

Before Ron could react, Voldemort grabbed his face and forced the contents of the vial down his throat. Ron coughed and spluttered, as he turned his panic stricken face towards the girls, and then Luna who was being held back by Draco.

"NO!" Ginny screamed. "Bellatrix promised," she cried.

Voldemort shrugged. "I have only quickened the inevitable," he said. "And besides, you should know by now, I answer to no one."

He stood, watching Ron like a student watching a science experiment.

"Oh, you don't need to worry too much. The poison is slow acting, and incredibly painful," he said as he walked away. "If Mr. Potter hurries, he will receive the antidote. If not, well, I cannot be held responsible," he said as he shrugged.

He stopped in front of Luna. "You will be a good girl and do as you're told. Find Harry Potter. Let him know we are all waiting for him to arrive."

Luna looked at Ron before looking back at Voldemort. "How do I know you won't kill him?" she asked.

Voldemort smiled. "My dear, he is already dead. But if you return with Harry Potter he will receive the antidote and I am a man of my word. However…" he continued, "My patience grows short. I suggest you go, before I change my mind."

Luna gasped, and turned and fled to the jeers and laughter of the Dark Lord's court. Voldemort motioned to two Death Eaters, who came forward eagerly.

"Find out where she is going," Voldemort said quietly, "and kill whomever she comes in contact with. Bring the Potter boy to me."

Luna stood outside the Great Hall for a moment, collecting her thoughts, before turning and running up the stairs.

Hermione tried to swallow past the lump in her throat as the tears fell silently down her face She made eye contact with a white-faced Ron, which didn't help.

"It'll be okay," she said brokenly. "Luna will find him."

Ron tried to smile, but failed. "I hope so," he said. "This wasn't how I envisioned the end of my life."

He laughed bitterly and shook his head.

"We really didn't know what we were getting into, did we, Hermione?" he said in resignation.

Hermione looked around the room sadly and sighed wearily as simpler days of trolls and three-headed dogs flashed through her mind.

"I don't think any of us did," she said softly.

-->