Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: Well, illness, traveling and deadlines aside, I think I'm back. My apologies for the delay, sometimes real life does interfere. I think all you Harmonians (including me) will really enjoy this chapter, and since you have been so kind and generous with your reviews and sent me over 200, I will be posting another one really soon!

No matter how hard I try to let go, they are embedded in my heart. I don't own them; they own me.

Chapter 21

Relationships and Day Trips

Rounds were made in silence that night as Harry was deep in thought. He couldn't figure out what Malfoy was up to. It angered him to think Malfoy was wandering around out there without any repercussion for what he had done. He felt Hermione take his hand, and he sighed. Trust Malfoy to ruin a perfectly good quiet time with Hermione. He pushed all thoughts of Malfoy aside and smiled at Hermione.

"He'll pay for what he did, Harry," Hermione said, guessing his thoughts.

"I hope so," replied Harry.

"So how did your meeting go with Lupin?" Hermione asked, changing the subject.

Harry thought back to all that had happened and decided on sharing information first.

"Lupin gave me a spell that reveals dark magic in objects,"

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"Ostendo Vestri Veneficus" Harry said. "The object glows and shakes when there is dark magic present."

"So that will get rid of the piece of soul in the Horcrux?"

"No, that will just reveal it. There is another spell apparently that will destroy it. Lupin and I had to stop after I had trouble with the boggart."

"But Harry, you don't usually have any problems dealing with the Dementors."

"That's just it. They are no longer my worst fear. My boggart had changed," Harry said, not meeting her gaze. That knot returning to his stomach.

"Was it Voldemort?" Hermione asked.

"No, it was something much worse."

"What could be worse than Voldemort?" Hermione asked.

Harry stole a glance at her, steeling himself for what he was about to tell her.

"I saw you," he said quietly. "But you were dead and covered in blood. Just like my nightmares."

"Oh Harry, I'm so sorry," Hermione said as she stepped in front of him to look him in the eye.

Harry shook his head as he wrapped his arms around her. "It's not your fault. I'll just have to get past it. Besides, it turned out okay."

"Oh, what did you use that was so funny?" Hermione asked.

Harry grinned down at her. "Remember Millicent Bulstrode's cat?"

Hermione pushed herself away. "You didn't…" she said.

"Well, that's what I started thinking about. You have to admit, it was really funny."

"To you maybe," she said as she put her hands on her hips.

"Yes, well, it was, but then I started thinking," Harry said as he backed Hermione up against the wall, the images from earlier filling his mind. Maybe he shouldn't be afraid of what was to come…

Hermione noticed that Harry's eyes were starting to smolder again, like last night.

"What?" she said breathlessly, looking up at his face.

"I wondered what it would be like to kiss a furry Hermione," he said as he leaned into her. "Would your lips still be as soft?" Harry murmured before capturing her lips with his.

"So what happened?" Hermione whispered as Harry pulled away to rain kisses down her neck.

Harry looked at her face again, drinking in every detail.

"The boggart changed, but you weren't a cat. You were wearing this incredible nightgown with spaghetti straps. You looked beautiful."

Hermione blushed at the thought that Harry would envision her that way.

"So did you banish me?" She asked as she ran her hand up Harry's chest.

"Merlin, no. I couldn't. You were so beautiful," he said huskily. "Luckily Lupin was there to stop-"

Hermione pushed Harry away.

"Lupin saw me like that?" she asked.

`Oops,' thought Harry.

"Well, uh…he promised not to…uh…discuss it with you."

He'd blown it now. He knew that Hermione hated being in the center of attention.

Hermione turned away from him and he could see her shoulders shaking.

"Hermione, I'm sorry! It was my fault! It's just that I think about you so much! Please don't cry!" Harry reached for her and turned her around, but instead of tears, Hermione was laughing, her eyes sparkling. Harry grinned in relief.

"And how am I supposed to look him in the eye knowing that he has seen me in my night clothes?" She asked.

Harry shrugged. "Um…picture him in his?" He offered with a smirk.

"Thanks, Harry, thanks a lot," she said as she started walking again, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry," Harry said, running after her. "How was I supposed to know boggarts could do that? You didn't tell me!" He put his arm around her waist and Hermione leaned on his shoulder.

"Do I have to teach you everything?" Hermione teased.

"Yes," Harry said and he hugged her closer as they strolled down the hall. "With lots of private lessons," he winked at her suggestively.

"Harry James Potter!" Hermione laughed. "You are pushing this relationship thing too fast!"

Harry stopped and turned Hermione to face him again.

"Does that mean that you want a relationship? With me?" He asked seriously.

Hermione looked up at his eyes and saw the hope there. She smiled shyly at him.

"I'm willing to give it a try if you are," was all she said.

Harry pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. Hermione circled her arms around Harry's waist and laid her head on his chest, listening to his heart beat excitedly. Harry closed his eyes and for the first time in a long time, felt content.

"We should head back," Hermione said after a moment.

Harry reluctantly let her go and took her hand in his as he started walking again. He was surprised that his feet were even touching the ground. They walked in silence for a few minutes before Harry remembered something.

"So do you want to go to Hogsmeade next weekend with me?" He asked.

"You mean, like a date?" Hermione asked with a smile.

"Is that okay?" Harry asked nervously.

"You are not going to take me to Madame Puddifoot's are you?"

"No," Harry said with a grimace. "I wasn't planning on it…unless you want to," he said hurriedly.

"No, I would prefer not to, and yes, it's okay," Hermione said.

They returned to the common room to find that Ron hadn't arrived yet, so they sat on the couch to wait for him, looking through some of the books that Hermione had brought back from Godric's Hollow. Harry was sitting with his back to the side of the couch, and Hermione was sitting between his legs with her back against his chest. Harry was running his fingers through Hermione's hair, enjoying the closeness now that the barrier had been breached. It felt comfortable and yet so new. He was in awe of the feeling of it.

They both looked up as they heard Ron come in, but didn't move.

"Well this looks cozy," he said as he came over to lean on the couch. "So is there something going on, or are we still at the `we're just friends' stage?"

"Are you going to be an even more insufferable prat since you've been right for once?" Harry asked.

"Hey! I've been right loads of times, and I'm not insufferable, I'm just…brilliant" Ron said with a grin.

Hermione rolled her eyes as Harry laughed. "Thanks for being so understanding, mate," Harry said as he hugged Hermione, the relief evident in his voice.

"What's to understand?" Ron said shrugging. "Except, if you hurt my adopted sis, I'll have to take a piece out of you."

"Don't have to worry about that," Harry said.

"Good. Oh, and no heavy snogging while I'm around, okay? I don't think I'm ready for that. It's just too weird."

"I don't think that you will have to worry about that. We want to keep this quiet for a while, just between us three," Hermione said.

"And Lupin," Harry muttered, earning him an elbow in the ribs.

"So are you still going to come with us to Hogsmeade next week?" Harry asked, changing the subject. "We were going to see your brothers."

"Yeah, sure," Ron replied vaguely, "but I may skive off for a bit, you know, so you two lovebirds can uh…have some private time."

"So who is she?" Hermione asked abruptly as she sat up.

"What? I…I…don't know what you're…you're talking about," Ron stuttered as he blushed.

Hermione just cocked an eyebrow at him.

"You're just mental, you know that? Seeing things that aren't there. I'm going to bed. `Night, Harry." Ron said as he quickly headed for his room and shut the door.

Hermione leaned back against Harry and he wrapped his arms around her, nuzzling the back of her neck.

"Prefect duty must have been interesting tonight," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Hmmm," Harry said as he leaned back and closed his eyes.

"Aren't you the least bit interested?" Hermione asked.

"Nope," replied Harry. "He'll tell us when he's ready."


The week passed by in a flurry of activities for Harry. His fighting skills were showing improvement, thanks to Tonks and Mad-Eye Moody. Tonks might a klutz at times, but as an Auror, Harry admired her. He hadn't been able to get the upper hand on either her or Moody, and quite often he limped back to his room with the bruises as proof.

Harry's work with Lupin was just as exhausting. He was able to dispel the boggarts much quicker, and Lupin had taught Harry the spell to destroy the Horcruxes. The only thing was he didn't know if it would work, since he hadn't found one Horcrux yet. By the time the weekend rolled around, Harry was looking forward to some free time and the thought of spending time with Hermione caused his heart to leap.

Hogsmeade morning dawned crisp and clear. There was a bit of a chill in the air and the surrounding trees were beginning to show their autumn colors. The Gryffindor tower was buzzing from the many conversations, while friends waited for friends. Seamus and Dean were sitting in one corner playing exploding snap while Neville sat beside them reading his newest Herbology book. Harry wandered over to watch the game while he waited for Ron and Hermione.

Soon they were all heading downstairs, laughing and chatting about their plans for the day. Just as they reached the front hall, Harry heard his name called. He turned to find Lupin and Tonks heading towards them.

"Good morning! Mind if we join you?" Tonks asked.

"Please do, Professor. Is this visit to Hogsmeade for business or pleasure?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," replied Tonks with a twinkle in her eye.

"Something we should know about?" Harry asked.

"We hope not," replied Lupin. "But we want to be sure, seeing it's the first visit of the year."

As they followed the road to Hogsmeade, Harry leaned over to Hermione and said, "This date is getting more and more crowded."

Hermione smiled up at him and reached over to give his hand a squeeze before letting go.

"So where should we go first?" asked Harry. "Should we start at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes?"

"Sure," said Ron. "I want to check out the new shop and see what they have been up to lately."

"We're just going to wander around for a while," Lupin said. "We'll catch up with you later."

As the group began to disperse, Harry caught Ron looking around as though he was searching for someone or something.

"What are you looking for Ron?" Harry asked.

"What? Uh…nothing, just…you know…taking in the sights," Ron said unconvincingly.

Hermione caught Harry's raised eyebrow and smirked. As they approached the Weasley twins' store, they noticed it was as busy as their shop in Diagon Alley. The bright colorful signs advertised all the latest gadgets and gizmos and many passers-by would stop to have a look. Ron, Harry and Hermione entered the shop to join the many customers browsing the shelves. The door opened again, and Ginny entered, joining Ron at the counter.

"Harry! Over here!" called George above the heads of the prospective shoppers.

The foursome moved through the crowd to join the older Weasley boy.

"Good to see you again," George said, shaking Harry's hand. "I've got some items to show you, things the Ministry hasn't seen yet."

They made their way to the small room at the back of the store.

"First things first, we were able to get enough material for three more of these," he threw a package at Harry.

Harry opened it up and recognized the long flowing cloaks immediately.

"Invisibility cloaks? Brilliant!" He said to George as he threw one of them around his shoulders. All that remained was his head.

"You can decide who uses them. You will note that we added a hood to each of them, so you don't need to hold it over your head. If you give me yours, I can add one to it as well."

Harry pulled the hood over his head and completely disappeared. He snuck over behind Hermione and wrapped his arms and the cloak around her waist; startling her and making her legs disappear.

"Harry!" She laughed as he let go to grab another cloak sitting on the table.

He unfolded the cloak and put it over Hermione's shoulders so that just her head was showing.

"Wait a minute," Harry said in surprise, pulling off his hood. "I could see an outline of Hermione even though she had the cloak on."

"That's the reaction of the material to each other, you can see each other, but only if you are both wearing the cloaks," George replied.

"Well, take them off," Ron groused. "It's weird talking to floating heads."

Harry got a gleam in his eye, and before Hermione could react, he reached over and pulled up her hood, making her disappear, and then doing the same to his own. He turned to her, and bringing his cloak up against hers, he slid his arms around her and pulled her in for a kiss. He felt Hermione smile against his lips and he savored the taste of her before pulling away reluctantly.

"I have been wanting to do that since we left this morning," he whispered so only she could hear. "This could have real potential."

Harry quickly moved to the other side of the room, away from a flushed Hermione, and purposely gave Ron a poke as he brushed past him.

"Come on, Harry, enough games," Ron said impatiently, as he tried to make a grab for where he thought Harry was standing.

Harry pulled his cloak off at the same time as Hermione did.

"Oh yes, this has merit," he said, looking pointedly at Hermione who blushed again.

"Something I missed?" George asked, frowning.

"No," Harry said nonchalantly as he folded the cloak back up. "So what else have you been working on?" he asked to change the subject.

"We've been working on Hermione's idea, which is brilliant. Very difficult, but brilliant," Fred said as he came in with a box in his arms. He put it down on the table and pulled out a badge and tossed it to Ron who caught it.

"What's this?" He asked, looking at the badge.

"That, dear brother, is a portable portkey," Fred said as he passed everyone else a badge to inspect. It had two crests, one on top of the other. The top one was the Hogwarts crest from their uniform.

"Pretty snazzy huh?" George said grinning.

"So how does it work?" Harry asked.

"Fairly simple really. You have several master portkeys that are connected to the student portkeys. The ones worn by the students would be simple badges, but key people would wear the master portkey. They would be the ones who decided when to transport if there is an emergency. The master portkey has two functions. It activates the other portkeys and acts as an emergency portkey itself. Once activated, you would have about fifteen seconds before you are transported to a safe destination," Fred explained. "All you have to do is tell the badge where you want to go and tap it twice."

"What about the wards around Hogwarts? I was having difficulties with that one," Hermione said.

"Yes, well that was the tricky part. We had to set up a resonance to get through the wards. McGonagall would only let us have them for apparating out. You still can't apparate in," George replied. "Although you can apparate to different parts of the school from the inside."

"So what do you have to do?" Ron asked.

"Simple," said Fred. "You just need to turn the top shield a quarter turn to the right to activate the student portkeys, or a quarter turn to the left to activate the master portkey."

"Like this?" Harry asked, giving his badge a quarter turn to the right.

"Right, then you say somewhere, like, oh, `Three Broomsticks', and tap it,"

Ron was trying to twist his badge back and forth as Harry tapped his.

"Bloody brilliant you idiots, it doesn't work!" He said looking closely at it.

Just then he disappeared.

"Just like that," George grinned.

"Exactly," Fred chimed in as they both looked at the spot where Ron had been standing, with a look of childish glee on their faces.

-->