Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade by Roz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Desideratum Crusade

Roz

A/N: This is a bit of a light-hearted chapter that I wanted to include. It gives our trio a chance to do some brainstorming, and gives me a chance to deal with Dudley. I hope you like it. My thanks to Dementor149 for helping me with the fight scene.

As before, I still don't own these characters. **Sigh!** I really wish I did, things would be so different…..

Chapter 5

Confrontations

Ron, Harry and Hermione spent the next few days just wandering around Little Whinging. Harry showed them some of the areas where he liked to walk, and of course, the park. It was here on their last day that the trio found themselves.

"I can't wait for tomorrow," grinned Harry, "Imagine! I can legally do magic. I wonder which hex I should use on Dudley…" he pretended to ponder as he stroked his chin.

Ron laughed. "Ooh! Ooh! The Bat-Bogey Hex! Or maybe the Confundus Charm…Nah, he's confused enough."

Harry was holding his sides and laughing as Ron imitated Dudley stumbling around the swings.

"Ooh! The Jelly-Leg Jinx!" Harry said, wobbling around after Ron.

Hermione stood there watching them with her hands on her hips, frowning.

"Ron! Harry! That's not funny! I will not let you hex Dudley!"

Harry and Ron looked at each other with a conspiratorial grin.

"Oh come on, Hermy! Please?" they said in unison.

"DON'T CALL ME HERMY!" she yelled as she ran at them.

Ron and Harry took off in opposite directions, laughing. They spent the next half-hour chasing each other around the park, carefree and happy. Ron finally tackled Hermione and they fell to the grass, laughing. Harry sat down next to them, enjoying the freedom he felt. He was so glad to have found Ron and Hermione as friends. That thought sobered him. He was so afraid of losing them, or having them hurt. He lay back on the grass with his hands behind his head and sighed. Why was it that one man could ruin a perfectly good day? Hermione picked up on his mood change immediately.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Nothing," said Harry, "just thinking."

"About what?" Ron said.

Harry glanced over at Ron. He knew he had to tell him about the vision. He was his best mate after all. Harry sat up, and began to tell Ron all about the vision. As he talked, Ron became paler and paler. When Harry got to the part about them being killed, Ron looked like he was going to be sick.

"No wonder you couldn't sleep! Bloody hell Harry! Why didn't you call for help? The order-"

"The order can't help! Don't you see? It's me he wants. Me, and anyone who is close to me, which means you are both in danger. He could kill you," he choked, "I can't let that happen. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"Harry-" Hermione began.

"No Hermione. I don't want your deaths on my conscience. I need to do this alone."

"Oh, honestly, Harry! Stop playing the hero for a moment will you?" Hermione said angrily. "This is so typical of you! You have no faith in us. Have you ever wondered why we hang around? Because we care about you! We are in this together, Harry! You, Ron and me! We made a choice! You didn't force us to get involved. It's our choice to help and support you during this war. Just as it was Sirius', Dumbledore's, and your parents' choice to protect you."

By now she was up and pacing in front of the two boys.

"It scares the hell out of me, and I know that it scares Ron too. But did you stop to think that maybe we don't want your death on our conscience? That maybe we don't want to feel like we've failed you?"

"I've never thought that," mumbled Harry, feeling quite humbled by her outburst.

"And we have never felt that you are responsible for us. I'm a grown woman, Harry. Ron is a grown man. We can make our own choices, and we choose to be here beside you, fighting Voldemort. And-" she added quietly, plopping back down between the two, "If we die…well, at least we will be fighting `til the end, together. Right, Ron?"

Ron had been staring wide-eyed at Hermione the whole time she was ranting. He had not seen her that angry in a long time.

"Uh, yeah, what she said," Ron said, getting his voice back.

Harry looked between the two of them and his shoulders slumped in resignation. He knew Hermione was right; he needed them. He wouldn't have gotten this far without them. They were silent for a few minutes, just watching the day beginning to fade. During this time, Hermione was tapping her chin with her finger and biting her lip. Harry knew she was thinking.

"Harry, could you tell me about your vision again? Not the end part, mind you. I want to see if you can remember any details about the room. Maybe…maybe if we can figure out where he envisioned himself…"

"We can stop it before it happens," finished Harry.

Ron looked at the two of them. They were doing it again; finishing each other's thoughts. When that happens, he felt like a third wheel. Harry sat deep in thought, his eyes closed.

"We came though big double doors. It was like a big hall. All of the walls were draped with black cloth and there were round cages, like big birdcages, all around the outside wall.

He pushed the palms of his hands into his forehead, as the vision became clearer. "The floor was made of stone; it was cold. At the back of the hall there was a large dais. There was a door to the left…I don't know where it went." He dropped his hands. "The wall at the back where…where…" he swallowed painfully, "there were chains hanging there, and on the dais there was a chair. That's where Voldemort was sitting when I came in. There were other people there, his Death Eaters I suppose, and the chair! I remember! It was Dumbledore's. He must have stolen it."

Harry looked at Hermione and Ron. Both were sitting deep in thought.

"It could have been anywhere," Ron muttered.

"It was not the Riddle house. I know that. It was a big hall."

"Did you see outside the hall? Maybe the surrounding area?" asked Ron.

Harry thought for a moment and then shook his head no. He was still watching Hermione who was deep in thought. She looked up suddenly as an idea came to her.

"Do you remember the ceiling?" she asked.

"Ceiling?" echoed Harry.

"Think, Harry. Could you see the ceiling?"

Harry frowned and closed his eyes again. He could see himself looking around, and then he looked up. In his vision the ceiling was black, like the night sky.

"It was black; like the sky," he whispered, as a feeling of dread came over him.

Ron's eyes went wide. "I only know of one hall like that," he said.

"Hogwarts," both Harry and Hermione said in unison.

"He wants Hogwarts," said Ron.

"It makes sense," replied Harry. "We know he likes to collect trophies. This would be the greatest trophy ever. He has already gotten rid of Dumbledore. He probably figures that he can just waltz in and take over."

"We have to stop him," Hermione said.

Harry jumped up and started pacing, his face flushed with anger.

"There is no way I'm letting him have Hogwarts! NO WAY! If he thinks he can take our school away from us, he has another thing coming."

The anger was building in him.

`How dare he?' Thought Harry, `He's trying to take away MY home. Just like he took away everything else.'

Suddenly he stopped, the realization hitting him in the face.

"He's doing it to get me," he said, "He knows how much Hogwarts means to me because it meant so much to him, but Dumbledore turned his back on him when he wanted to come back to teach. He really was looking for a way to recruit more followers, but Dumbledore saw right through him. Now he's getting revenge because I still have Hogwarts and he doesn't."

Harry ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"I hate him! Why does he have to try and destroy my life and everyone associated with me?"

Ron and Hermione watched Harry as he stormed back and forth, his agitation clearly showing on his face.

Harry's ranting was abruptly interrupted by loud, raunchy laughter, and they turned to look down the path. Coming towards them were Dudley and his pals. Dudley stopped when he saw them, then grinned and sauntered up to Harry.

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in. It's my scrawny cousin and his weird friends."

`Scrawny?' thought Hermione with a snort.

"Sod off Dudley. I'm in no mood," said Harry darkly.

Dudley's eyes flickered over to where Ron and Hermione were still sitting. His eyes raked over Hermione, making her feel uncomfortable. He turned back to Harry.

"Was she good?" he sneered.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Did she moan and squirm a lot Harry, or did she just lie there. She looks like a live one to me," Dudley taunted as he leered at Hermione again.

Hermione's face went white, but she still had the sense to grab hold of Ron's arm and hold him down as he tried to get up. Dudley didn't miss the movement though.

"Ooh, a threesome perhaps? It's a shame I missed that."

Harry didn't think that he could feel any angrier than he already did, but Dudley had managed to push him that much further. Harry could feel the electricity sparking off of him as he turned to face his cousin. His voice was deathly calm, which surprised him considering how he was feeling.

"You need to apologize to my friends," he said quietly.

"Or what?" taunted Dudley.

"Or I will have to teach you a lesson in manners," replied Harry.

Dudley laughed, feeling confident because of his lackeys standing with him.

"It's a day early cuz, no birthday yet. You want to teach me a lesson; you are going to have to use your fists."

"Fine," said Harry.

"Harry," said Hermione in a whisper, "It's not worth it. Let's just leave."

"Need help, mate?" asked Ron in a tight voice.

Hermione looked at him incredulously. Harry just waved him down. Ron leaned back into a relaxed sprawl on the grass, but his taught muscles betrayed his calm demeanor. Hermione just sat looking between the two in shock.

"He needs this Hermione. He needs to get rid of his pent-up anger," said Ron. "Besides, I would love to see Dudley put in his place."

Harry stood on the spot, his hands relaxed at his side.

Dudley sauntered up to Harry, still grinning.

"Who knows? When I'm finished here, I just might have a go myself," leered Dudley.

"You wouldn't know what to do with her, and," Harry said, looking pointedly at Dudley's crotch, "your equipment probably isn't up to snuff."

Ron snorted at that comment and Dudley's smile turned into a snarl. He swung hard at Harry's face and connected with his cheek. Harry tasted blood as his head snapped sideways. He looked around at Dudley and wiped the trickle of blood coming from the corner of his mouth.

"That was your free hit," Harry said to him.

Dudley's grin faltered, and his eyes went wide as Harry threw a punch into his stomach. Dudley sat down with an "Oomph". His buddies began to move forward, but Dudley stopped them.

"No!" he wheezed, "He's mine!" He stood up slowly, rubbing his belly.

"Big mistake, cuz," he said angrily.

He charged at Harry, hands outstretched, with the idea of grabbing and squashing him. Harry just sidestepped as he ran past, and kicked him in the rear. Dudley went flying again. He got up slower this time, watching Harry warily. Harry just stood, looking relaxed, watching him, and Hermione couldn't help but admire the bulge of the muscles on his arms. Dudley came at him, slower, and swung at his head. Harry ducked, but was unable to get out of the way of the fist aimed at his ribs. Harry grunted in pain as he felt something break, but it didn't slow him down. He was filled with anger right now, and it was the adrenaline he needed. He rounded on Dudley and smashed him in the side of the nose, causing it to break. Dudley staggered back, and then came again. The two traded blows back and forth, but it was Harry who was connecting more often. With an uppercut to the chin, Dudley went down again, for the last time. Dudley's two pals closed in on Harry, who was now just trying to remain standing. Ron was up like a shot.

"Oi!" he yelled, "Don't be nutters, or I'll have to take you both on!"

He towered over the other two, who suddenly lost their courage and began backing away.

"Take your garbage with you!" Ron said, kicking Dudley with the toe of his shoe.

The two grabbed Dudley by each arm, and dragged him away as fast as his heavy frame would allow them.

Ron went over to Harry and put his arm around him before he collapsed. Harry winced as he was led back to the grass where Hermione was still sitting.

"Well," he gasped as he clutched his ribs, "that felt great." He winced again as he lay back on the grass.

Hermione whipped out her wand and looked around before tracing Harry's ribs and muttering a healing charm under her breath.

"I should just leave you like that," she said angrily, her eyes blazing.

Harry grinned and then winced as he felt the pain in his face.

"Come on, Hermione. Don't you remember how good it felt to hit Draco?"

"Yes, well, that was different. I didn't beat him to a pulp. What do you think is going to happen when your aunt sees Dudley?"

Harry shrugged. "The stupid git will probably say he was mugged. He'd be too embarrassed to admit I beat him. I've been waiting a long time for that."

Hermione sighed and went to work on some of the other cuts and bruises that were beginning to show. When she was finished, they decided to head back to the house. When they got there, they could hear Aunt Petunia in the kitchen fussing over a very bruised and bloodied Dudley. He saw Harry without a mark on him and scowled. Harry just grinned at him, and the trio went upstairs. They spent the evening helping Harry pack all of his things; he wasn't planning on ever returning. He couldn't wait until tomorrow. He was weary when he finally went to bed, but satisfied with the outcome of the fight with Dudley. He fell asleep with a contented smile on his face.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a review on your way out!

-->