Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Hi guys- sorry for the short A/N but I (Heaven) am completely exhausted- working in a grocery store around any holiday is like a death wish and I'm pretty much dead on my feet at this point.

You L/S fans will enjoy this one most of all! Thanks for reading and please let us know what you think! It only takes a few seconds to leave us 10 words of feedback :)

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

Juliet

the dice were loaded from the start
And I bet and you exploded in my heart


And I forget the movie song
When you wanna realise it was just that the time was wrong

Juliet?

Nick went along the path that evening towards the Potter's cabin. He and Julie hadn't made any plans for that night so he decided to stop by and see what she was up to. His parents were busy ignoring one another and it made him only too glad to escape the confines of the cabin the three of them were sharing. He knocked on the door and Ethan answered it a moment later. "Hey little man," Nick greeted him.

"Nick!" Ethan said, giving him a high-five. "You haven't been here in ages!"

"I know," Nick said. "Sorry about that."

"Come on inside, "Ethan said. "I have some really cool toy cars and this really wicked track to race them on..."

"Actually..." Nick said. "I'm here to see if Julie's around..."

"She went out with Kiki," Ethan said, frowning.

"Kiki?" Nick asked, confused. "That's.... not another guy is it?"

"It's what he calls Chiaki," Hermione explained from her perch on the sofa. She was going over some paperwork. "When he was little he could never say her name correctly. But, don't ever call Chiaki that. She only lets Ethan call her that."

"Oh," Nick said. "I'm sorry- I didn't notice you back there Mrs. Potter."

"Hello, Nick," Hermione said warmly. "It's good to see you."

"You too," Nick smiled at her. "So Julie's not here?"

"No," Hermione said. "She and Chiaki went dancing."

Ethan tugged at Nick's hand. "Come on, Nick. There's no one else to play with. My dad had to check in with his division. He's an Auror, you know."

"Yeah I know Ethan," Nick said. "They're up at the club then?"

Ethan stomped off and sat down beside his mother on the sofa.

"What's wrong, Ethan?" Hermione asked.

"No one wants to play with me anymore!" Ethan crossed his arms angrily.

"Of course they do," Hermione said, setting her paperwork aside. "Daddy's going to be back very soon and you were going to play a game of Exploding Snap with me, remember?"

"It's not the same," Ethan huffed.

Nick felt out of place. "I'm sorry Ethan," he apologised. "Hey, if you're having a swim lesson tomorrow how about I stop by and help you out then?"

"Really?" Ethan asked happily. "You'd do that?"

"Sure I will," Nick promised.

Ethan grinned and went back to playing with his cars. Hermione stood up and walked over to Nick.

"That's really sweet of you to offer, Nick, but what about your parents?"

Nick shrugged. "They're too involved with bickering these days to pay attention to me, so I use it to my advantage."

Hermione certainly wasn't surprised to hear this, but she decided to keep her comments and opinions on his parents to herself. "Well, we'd love to have you join us tomorrow."

"I'll be there," Nick smiled at her.

"You going to try and catch up with Julie and Chiaki?" Hermione asked him.

"Yeah, I hope so," Nick stepped back outside. "Thanks- I'll see you all tomorrow at the lake then."

"Bye, Nick," Hermione and Ethan called out to him.

Nick hurried up towards the employee disco and slipped inside, looking around the room for his sister and Julie.

"Nicholas Malfoy," a sultry voice purred in his ear. He turned around to see the raven-haired girl who'd chatted him up a few weeks ago at the lake. "You've been in hiding."

"Selena..." he said in surprise. "Hey how are you."

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she said, winking at him.

Nick nodded. "What have you been up to?"

"A little bit of this," Selena said, fingering with the collar of his shirt. "And a little bit of that. You know how it is."

Nick smiled and pushed her hands down. He was used to dealing with fans who liked to overstep their bounds.

"You smell really great," she said, not deterred in the slightest. She stood on her tiptoes and buried her face in his neck. "Is that cologne?"

"Probably," Nick pulled back. "I have to find my girlfriend if you'll excuse me."

"You don't have a girlfriend, Nicholas," Selena said, following him. "I read it in the papers that you are S-I-N-G-L-E."

"I was before I came here," he was starting to get annoyed. Most fans would just accept what he said and go, but apparently not this one. "I met someone I enjoy being with very much."

"Oh," Selena said, frowning. "I had no idea. But you've only been here a few weeks. It can't be that serious."

"I like her a lot," Nick explained. "It's all happened fast."

"Hey little brother," Chiaki said, slapping him on the back. "I was wondering when you'd get here!"

"Hey Chiaki," Nick greeted her. "This is Selena."

Chiaki took one look at the girl who was wearing a form-fitting dress and her smile faded. "Hello, Selena."

"Hello," the other girl purred. "Nicholas here was telling me about his new girlfriend."

"Yes," Chiaki said coolly. "That would be my best friend."

"Speaking of Jules, where's she at?" Nick asked. "I went by the cabin to look for her."

"She went to get us another round of drinks," Chiaki replied.

"You got her drinking?" Nick asked, laughing.

"No," Chiaki said with a laugh. "She's getting herself a soda. I'm not that bad an influence on her yet."

"Too bad," Nick grinned.

"So, Nick?" Selena asked, pushing Chiaki aside. "Want to dance?"

"I uh..." Nick didn't want to be impolite. "If it's all the same, Selena, I appreciate it but no thanks."

"Come on," Selena said, grinning at him. "Your girlfriend wouldn't mind one dance, would she?"

"She might not care," Nick said. "But no thank you."

"You know where I'll be if you change you're mind," Selena said, with a shrug. "Nice to meet you, Cha-Cha."

"It's Chiaki," Nick said.

"Whatever," Selena said, grinning at him before disappearing into the crowd.

"So," Chiaki said, beaming at him. "Jules is your girlfriend?"

Nick laughed. "I should think so."

Chiaki hugged him. "That's fantastic!"

"Ow," he said as she squeezed him tight. "Chiaki... can't breathe here..."

"What are you two doing?" Julie came up to them.

"Nick just called you his girlfriend," Chiaki explained, letting go of her brother.

Nick turned red as Julie looked at him.

"Girlfriend?" Julie asked.

"Well I should think you would be," Nick replied. "After... everything we've done."

"Well, yeah," Julie said nervously.

"I think I'm just going to go and dance," Chiaki said quickly. "You two kids have fun."

Nick watched her go. "I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Remember that girl you saw me talking to that one day by the lake?"

Julie nodded. "The fan?"

"Yeah, her name's Selena- she's here tonight. She was trying to make a move so I told her about you and me." Nick replied.

"So you called me your girlfriend to get some fan off of your back?" Julie asked confused.

"Well in a sense yes, but I think if we were to label our relationship I would call you my girlfriend," Nick smiled at her. "It's not like I tell every girl I see that I love her you know."

Julie smiled. "You don't?"

"Jules," Nick gave her a look.

"Well, you never know with you show biz types," Julie said. "My aunt Lavender tells me all the time that you never mean what you say..."

"Jules are you telling me that you think I'd lie to you about saying I love you?" Nick asked, feeling slightly hurt.

"Nick," Julie said, looping her arms around his neck. "I was only teasing you. I know you meant it."

"That's better," Nick said. "Because I do love you Potter."

"Well, that's good to know," she said, kissing him. "Because I love you too."

Nick pulled her close and kissed her again. "I missed you today," he said in her ear. "Tomorrow I'm coming to help with Ethan's lesson in the afternoon."

"That's great, but what about your Dad?" Julie asked. "What if he sees?"

Nick shrugged. "Don't care. He and my Mum are too busy ignoring one another to pay attention to me," he said.

Julie smiled, elated that they'd be able to be together with her family tomorrow. "I'm never too busy to pay attention to you, Nick."

"That's good to know," Nick said, pulling her close again, his arms curving around her waist.

"Let's dance," she whispered in his ear.

Nick allowed her to drag him onto the floor. "You're not going to slap me for kissing you this time afterwards are you?" he asked.

"No," she said laughing. "I promise."

"Okay then," Nick said, dropping his hands lower.

"My boyfriend," Julie said happily as they danced. "My boyfriend."

Nick laughed. "Something tells me you like the sound of that."

"Just a little," Julie said. "I like the sound of you coming to the lake with us tomorrow, too. I feel guilty for not spending as much time with my family. Tomorrow, I get to spend the day with the most important people in my life."

Nick dipped her back. "So... that makes me part of your important crowd?" he asked teasingly.

"Definitely," she said, laughing. "Definitely."

Nick leaned in and gave her a firm kiss.

When they pulled apart, Julie was true to her word and didn't slap him. Instead, she just rested her head on his chest and felt like all was right with the world when she was in his arms.

Chiaki watched her best friend and brother from the sidelines. She was happy that Julie had found someone to be with, especially after what that snot of a Muggle had done to her.

She thought about interrupting them to let them know she was going to head back to her cabin, but she decided to just leave them to it. As far as they were concerned, they were the only two people in the club.

It was quite chilly when she walked outside and Chiaki wished she'd brought a jumper. She quickened her steps as she set off for the path to her cabin.

Draco was out for another walk, as his temper with his wife was short these days. She ignored him, acted like he wasn't even there whenever they were in the same room together.

Chiaki's mind was on Toshio and she wasn't paying much attention to where she was walking. As she turned the corner, she collided with another person.

"I'm so sorry," Chiaki said, going over to help the man to his feet. "I wasn't looking where I was..."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Young people," he said snidely. "You all think the world should just watch out for you."

Chiaki was speechless as he dusted himself off. She'd thought about what it would be like to come face to face with her biological father and now that it had happened, she didn't know what to say or do.

Draco stared back at her. "Is there something I can help you with?" he sneered, unaware of who this girl was.

"Um, no," Chiaki said in a small voice. "I'm sorry for bumping into you."

"You should be," Draco replied coldly.

"You don't know who I am do you?" Chiaki asked.

"Why on this bloody earth would I care who you are?"

Despite herself, Chiaki was stung by his words. "I'm Chiaki Longbottom, Mr. Malfoy."

He stared at her a moment, the words registering. "You're Chang's little bastard baby, the one she thinks is mine aren't you?" a cruel smile mocked her.

Chiaki had expected him to say many things, but she certainly hadn't prepared herself for this. She wanted to run, but she stood there staring at him. They had the same eyes, she found herself thinking.

He glared at her. "What the hell do you want?"

An image of her real father came into her mind. She saw Neville as he taught her how to ride a broom. She saw him sitting up with her when she was sick. She saw him making her laugh when she was sad.

"Nothing," she said, a grin coming over her face as she thought of her father. "Nothing at all from you."

"I wasn't offering," Draco returned coldly. "What the fuck are you smiling about?"

"My father," Chiaki answered. "He's more of a man than you'd ever hope to be."

"Longbottom?" Draco laughed harshly. "That's rich."

"I don't expect you to understand," Chiaki said. "You know all of my life I wondered what meeting you would be like. And now that it's happened, I just feel completely and utterly happy. And do you want to know why? Because I wasn't raised by someone as cold and heartless as you, Mr. Malfoy. You can laugh about my family. Go ahead. Your opinion means as little to me as I meant to you the day you signed your rights to me away."

Draco was actually speechless as the girl turned and walked away. "Good!" he called out after her, but it didn't feel as triumphant as he wanted it to.

It was late when Chiaki crept inside the cabin. All the lights inside were off and she knew everyone was asleep. There was something she had to do before she went to sleep though.

She knocked gently on her parents' bedroom door. "Mum? Dad?"

"Wha..." Neville, who had finally just fallen asleep, was jerked awake.

"I'm sorry to wake you," Chiaki whispered, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Tears shone in her eyes as she looked at her father. "I just wanted to tell you how much I love you, Daddy."

"What's the matter sweetheart?" Neville sat up.

"Nothing," Chiaki said, hugging him. "Nothing at all."

Neville held his daughter close. "Why are you crying?" he asked in concern.

"I spoke with Mr. Malfoy," Chiaki managed to choke out between sobs.

"What?" Neville fully woke up at that remark. "What did he say to you? I'll kill him..."

Chiaki shook her head. "You don't have to, Daddy. He said some horrible things, but it doesn't matter. He's not my father. He wasn't there for me all the time like you were. I'm so sorry, Daddy."

Cho patted her daughter's back and she felt tears welling up in her own eyes.

Neville kissed the side of her head like he would do when she was a child. "Chiaki... you have nothing to apologise for."

"I love you," Chiaki said softly, resting her head on her father's chest. "I love you both so much."

"We love you too sweetheart," Neville said. "You're our firstborn baby girl."

Chiaki smiled. Normally, she would remind her father that she wasn't a baby anymore, but tonight it was just what she needed to hear.

Cho stroked her daughter's long hair. "Don't let anything he says make you upset love," she said gently. "He's a horrible man who hates himself and his life, so he has to make everyone else miserable too."

"I know," Chiaki said. "He was just as horrible as everyone always told me he was."

"You're a good girl Chiaki. You're nothing like he is." Neville said to his daughter.

"I have his eyes," Chiaki said quietly.

"No you don't," Cho said. "His eyes are cold, grey and dead."

"And yours are warm and inviting," Neville said, pinching her nose.

Chiaki smiled tearfully at her parents. "Thanks," she said quietly. "I'm sorry to have woken you both up but I needed you guys."

"That's what we're here for, sweetheart," Cho said. "We're so proud of you, Chiaki."

"Thank you," she buried her face in her father's shoulder.

"It's going to be okay," Neville said, patting her back and kissing the side of her head.

"I know," Chiaki replied. "I don't know what I expected from him but it wasn't that." she smiled. "I told him I was glad he signed me over to you Dad. You're the best father in the world."

"I don't know about that," Neville said modestly, thinking Allison might disagree at the moment, but nevertheless he was touched by his oldest daughter's comment.

"I do," Cho said, smiling at her husband. "You are."

Chiaki nodded. "Okay... I'll let you guys get back to sleep." she wiped her eyes. "Thanks again." she gave her mother a tight hug.

"Good night, my girl," Cho said hugging her back.

*** *** ***

Hermione and the rest of the family were at breakfast the next morning while Harry slept. He hadn't returned from headquarters last night until very late. He could vaguely remember Hermione whispering in his ear that she'd be a little late getting back because she wanted to take Ethan into town to pick up something.

He awoke a little after ten and groggily rubbed at his eyes. There was a note on the bedside table and he could see it was in Hermione's handwriting.

"Meet me at the boathouse at eleven," he read as soon as he slipped his glasses on.

Shrugging, he took a quick shower and got dressed.

In the boathouse, it wasn't Hermione that was waiting for him, but Ginny Malfoy. She was packing back and forth inside the dark room and wondering why she hadn't picked some place that was much cooler. This place was as hot as a sauna. But, she thought as she looked around, it was dark and it would suit her plan just perfectly. As long as her two special guests showed up at their assigned times, it would work like a charm.

Harry wondered what Hermione was up to with the boathouse- they'd never met in there for anything during their previous time at Hillsdale. He knocked on the door. "Hermione?" he called.

Ginny grinned and stood back so the light wouldn't hit her when he opened the door.

"In here, Harry," Ginny said, in a soft voice.

He pushed open the door. "What are we doing in here?" he asked, squinting through the darkness for a glimpse of his wife. "It's hotter than hell in here."

Ginny came up behind him and ran her hands over his back.

"Whoa..." Harry said. "Hermione..."

Ginny smiled as she ran a hand through his hair, which was still wet from his shower. He still smelled as good as she remembered. Although she was only doing this to make Draco jealous, she was enjoying being able to touch Harry.

Harry couldn't put his finger on it, but something was very off about this. And besides that, it smelled of stale, old liquor and it was making his stomach turn.

Slipping her hands underneath his shirt, Ginny felt a prickle of excitement. This was working better than she'd planned.

"Hermione," Harry said. "Come on... let's find somewhere nicer for this. And where are Ethan and Julie?"

"Who cares?" Ginny purred, turning him around so she could kiss him.

"What?" Harry asked, pushing her away as their lips were about to touch. He whipped his wand out and held it in front of him. "Lumos!"

Ginny's face was illuminated by the light and she grinned seductively up at Harry.

Harry stared at her a moment before his lip curled in disgust. "I should have known," he spat. "You fucking bitch."

"Come on, Harry," Ginny said softly. "Isn't it time, we kissed and made up? Let bygones be bygones?"

Harry pushed her away. "I don't know what game you're playing," he said coldly. "But I want no part in it. You were trying to get me to cheat on my wife!"

"I didn't have to try too hard, did I?" Ginny asked him. "Come on, Harry. You know you want to. You've always wanted to."

"I NEVER WANTED TO!" Harry roared. "I was NEVER attracted to you, not EVER."

Ginny looked surreptitiously at her watch. Where in the world was Draco?

"If you come near me or any of my family again while we're here, I'm not going to be responsible for what I do," Harry said icily.

Ginny knew he was about to leave, but she had to keep him here a little longer. She covered her eyes and began to sob.

"You just don't understand," she wailed.

"Understand what?" Harry spat. "That you're miserable? I'd feel sorry for you if you hadn't done it to yourself."

"I know," Ginny said, turning away from him. "It's been my fault. But, I want to change Harry. I really do."

Harry stared at her a long moment. "I don't believe you," he said flatly. "This is all some sort of act isn't it, you want Hermione to catch me in here with you or your pathetic husband is going to walk in isn't he?"

"It's not an act," Ginny said quickly. "It's not an act, Harry. I-I've just been thinking about how different things would have been if you and I had gotten together. I'd have led a much happier life."

"Well it's too late for you to ever have found that out." Harry said, his wand still held out in front of him. "I wouldn't have married you even if Hermione hadn't come into my life."

Draco opened the door and looked at his wife and Harry. "What the fuck is going on here?" he demanded.

"Draco!" Ginny said dramatically. "We didn't want you to find out this way!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Malfoy," he said coldly. "Perhaps you should give your little wife some more attention so she stops throwing herself at other men." he pocketed his wand and gave them both dirty looks before leaving.

Draco looked at Ginny. "What were you doing in here with him?"

Ginny was so angry she couldn't see straight. "What did it look like?" she sneered.

"Like a desperate act by a desperate woman," Draco said, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "It's hot as hell in here, Ginny!"

"Want to know why?" Ginny asked. "Harry and me, that's why. We're hot together Draco, like you and I USED to be!"

Draco rolled his eyes. "You mean to tell me that you just shagged Potter in here?"

"What are you going to do about it?" she lied.

"Nothing," he answered, walking out of the boathouse. Ginny was hot on his heels though.

"So that's it then? I shag your worst enemy and you don't even care? Some husband you are!"

"I would care if it actually happened," Draco said with a shrug. "But it didn't."

"Oh you're just such an expert aren't you!" Ginny screamed at him.

"He can't stand you, Ginny," Draco said icily. "And keep your voice down. You'll cause a scene."

"I don't care!" she started to cry in frustration.

"And I don't need this!" Draco said, taking her by the arm. "Potter doesn't want you, Ginny. He never has, never will."

"Ouch!" Ginny tried to pull away from her husband. "Well you don't want me either so why should you care!"

"That's not true, Ginevra," Draco said, holding on to her tightly. "I do want you, but look at what you've turned into. You're a joke. Drinking and throwing yourself at Potter of all people!"

"You want me?" she asked in a small voice.

"Not when you're like this," he replied. "Red, what's going on with you? Are you going soft on me?"

Ginny didn't answer.

"Do you really want to go back to your little drab life as another of the Weasley clan? Do you want to be a pathetic nobody? Because if you keep acting like this, that's exactly what's going to happen," Draco said coolly. "Is that what you want?"

"So you're saying you're going to leave me and go with your blonde bimbo," Ginny returned coldly.

"For the umpteenth time, I don't have anyone else!" Draco said angrily. "I have never cheated on you, Ginny!"

"Well then why are you gone all the time?" she shrieked. "Every time I want you to go somewhere you can't. You can't take a holiday, you can't ever just stay with me. I miss you and you come home and it's like you don't even care anymore!" Ginny huffed.

"I do care, Red," Draco said. "But its a little hard to love you when you keep throwing Potter in my face every five minutes!"

"I wouldn't have to if you would just pay attention to me," Ginny sobbed. "You've stopped loving me!"

"How on earth can you say that?" he asked her incredulously. "If I didn't love you would I have come to this horrid place again? I came here because I missed you, Red."

Ginny looked up at him again through her tears. "I wish I could believe that. You started treating me different after I got pregnant. I know you hate Nicholas but I wish you didn't hate me because I had him!"

"I don't hate Nicholas anymore than I hate you," Draco said in a tone that implied that this should have been obvious to her. "I thought you were trying to trap me, Gin. Just like Cho Chang did. But, I went along with it because unlike with her, I actually loved you."

"Loved, as in past tense?" Ginny asked.

"No, you daft girl," Draco said, his tone much softer than before. "I do love you even though you drive me insane most of the time."

Ginny stared up at him sniffling. "Will you take me back to our cabin?" she asked in a small voice.

"Yes," he said, taking her hand. "But I don't want to hear anymore about Harry Potter, you got that?"

Ginny shook her head. "Not if I've still got you."

"You do," he said, kissing her soundly.

*** *** ***

When Nick had left Julie the previous evening they had agreed to meet at the lake for Ethan's swim lesson. According to her, he'd gotten pretty good and was more brave about going underwater and such. Nick looked forward to helping him out and spending some time with the young boy again.

He dropped his towel on a lounge and pulled his shirt off. He'd gotten a bit brown in the sunlight and his hair had gotten lighter as well. He smiled at a few other guests who obviously knew who he was.

"Hey," a voice came from behind him. Nick grinned when he saw Julie approaching, Ethan eagerly in tow behind her.

"Hey yourself," Nick greeted her. "Hey little man!"

"Hi Nick!" Ethan said excitedly. "Guess what, Julie says I can practise diving if I want to."

"All right!" Nick grinned at him. "I'm a champion at diving so you're in luck."

"Thank you so much for doing this," Julie said in a low voice as she pulled off her shorts. "Ethan's been so excited all morning."

"I'm glad to do it," Nick stretched. "Gives me time to spend with him, and especially with you."

Julie blushed a little at that remark. "Okay then," she leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. "My parents are coming by a bit later, so maybe the two of us can sneak off to our cove."

"Sounds like a plan," Nick replied. They went down to the water's edge where Ethan was waiting for them. "Come on little man, let's get you in the water." Nick scooped him up and walked in a few feet before dropping him in where it started to get deeper.

"Nick!" Ethan sputtered, but he was laughing.

"Good one," Julie slid into the water, going under for a moment and surfacing. "I bet Ethan and I can take you down Malfoy."

"Try it," Nick crossed his arms. "Come on!"

Julie shared a glance with her brother before they jumped up and tackled him. Ethan jumped onto Nick's back while Julie pulled him forward.

"Hey!" Nick clearly had not expected this and he tumbled into the water with Ethan still on his back. "Okay I give! Two Potters against one Malfoy is too much."

"We win!" Ethan yelled triumphantly.

"Yes you do," Nick pushed his wet hair out of his eyes. "Good job little man. That's the way to tackle someone." He high fived the younger boy.

As the next hour rolled by, Ethan couldn't remember the last time he'd had so much fun. Julie and Nick gave him all of their attention and during the several water fights they had, he practised diving into the lake.

"He's come so far," Julie said as she watched her brother climb onto the dock. "Just a month ago he was scared to death of being in here."

"He's got a good teacher," Nick gave her a little nudge.

Julie smiled. "It's a shame I can't put this on a resume," she joked. "Teaching brother how to swim doesn't exactly impress employers."

"I know what impresses me," Nick leaned in and nibbled at her ear.

"Nicholas!" she exclaimed, laughing. "Not here!"

"What's wrong with here?" he flirted. "We're underwater… mostly."

"Exactly," she stopped his wandering hands. "Once we get a chance to sneak off then you can put your hands wherever you want."

"Is that a promise?" Nick grinned.

"Of course it is," Julie replied.

"Hey Jules!" Ethan shouted for his sister. "Watch me!"

Julie and Nick watched Ethan put his hands over his head and go headfirst into the water. "Fantastic!" she called as her brother surfaced.

"That was great little man!" Nick said. "I'm really proud of you! Look at you, diving and treading water!"

"Thanks Nick," Ethan said happily. "Hey Mum and Dad! Did you see me dive just now?"

"We certainly did," Hermione beamed.

"Way to go son," Harry grinned.

Julie reached out and pinched Ethan's cheeks. "I'm proud of you,"

"Jules!" Ethan pulled out of her reach.

"He hates it when I do that," Julie said mischievously to Nick as her parents got into the water.

"Hello Nick," Harry greeted him.

"Hello sir," Nick replied.

"Why are you calling him sir?" Julie teased.

"Well, he's your father," Nick answered quickly, not realising that she was joking. "And I want to make a good impression."

"You're being so formal," she continued to tease. "You haven't been so formal with me..."

"This from the girl who slapped me the first time I kissed her," Nick said, playfully swatting at her.

"She did, did she?" Harry asked, beaming at his daughter. "That's my girl!"

"Dad!" Julie exclaimed. "You aren't supposed to be listening in!"

"I couldn't help but overhear," Harry said, winking at her.

"Right," Julie pulled Nick's hand. "Come on..."

As they swam away, Lavender was approaching the beach. She hadn't heard from Seamus in a day or so and wondered if everything was okay with him.

"Lavender?" Hermione asked as her cousin walked past them without a word. She exchanged a puzzled look with Harry. "Earth to Lavender?"

"What?" Lavender turned around. "Oh it's just you."

"Gee, thanks," Hermione said sarcastically. "It's always great to see you, too."

"Sorry," she said contritely. "Have you seen Seamus at all?"

"No," Hermione answered.

"Are you going to marry him, too?" Ethan asked innocently.

Harry grabbed a towel and covered his mouth to muffle his laughter.

"Ethan," Lavender frowned at the young boy. "That wasn't very nice."

"Lavender's right," Hermione said, trying to stifle a giggle. "It wasn't very nice, Ethan."

"What?" Ethan asked. "What did I say?"

Hermione put an arm around her son. "Lavender doesn't like to talk about her 'marriages', Ethan."

"They didn't count for the last time!" Lavender retorted.

"Right," Harry chortled unable to keep his laughter down.

"Morning everyone," Seamus had seen them from the path.

"Hey Seamus, Aunt Lavender says she's going to marry you!" Ethan exclaimed mischievously. This was too much for Harry, who dove in the water to drown out his laughter.

"I DID NOT!" Lavender exclaimed, her cheeks red. "Seamus, I said no such thing!"

Seamus gave her a rather wan smile. "I'm sure he's just joking, aren't you sport?"

Ethan shook his head. "She gets married quite a bit, but we're not supposed to talk about it."

Hermione laughed. "Ethan, why don't you and I go and find your dad?"

Seamus watched as Hermione led her son off into the water before turning back to Lavender. "Don't worry about it," he said. "I know he was only kidding."

"I really didn't say that," Lavender said, still blushing furiously. "And I don't get married all the time, for Merlin's sake! It was twice and like I've told everyone, they didn't count!"

"I believe you," Seamus smiled at her. "Would you happen to want to take a walk with me?"

"I'd like that," she said, relaxing. As they set off down the shady path, Lavender looked at him. "So, I haven't seen you around the past couple of days. Is everything okay?"

He shrugged. "I'm okay."

"And what about Summer, Fall, Spring?" Lavender asked. When he frowned at her, she looked away. "I'm sorry. Old habits die hard."

"Well..." he paused a moment. "Things are over between me and Summer, actually."

"Really?" Lavender asked, brightly. "I mean, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it."

"You are not," Seamus looked directly at her.

"Okay, maybe I was just saying that to be polite," Lavender said grinning at him. "Who ended it, if you don't mind me asking? You or her?"

"She did," Seamus replied. "I saw it coming, even if I wouldn't admit it to myself. I just wonder what it is about me that makes it so easy for people to leave me behind is all."

"Seamus," Lavender said softly. "It's not you. You're wonderful, handsome and charming. She's just too young to appreciate it is all."

"Well what about you?" he asked. "Why was it so easy for you to leave me?"

"Well, I thought you'd cheated on me," Lavender answered sheepishly. "It wasn't you, Seamus. It was me."

"You say that now," Seamus replied. "But 15 years ago when it happened things were a different story."

Lavender sighed. "If only I'd have listened to you..."

Seamus scuffed his shoe along the dirt. "We'd both be a lot happier," he muttered.

Lavender nodded. "I still had some trust issues with the whole Malfoy thing, Seamus. It wasn't anything you did. It was me. Our break up was my fault. I was so willing to believe the worst."

"You still had trust issues, five years after you were with Malfoy?" Seamus didn't feel like letting her off the hook.

"Yes," Lavender said weakly. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"That's a bullshit excuse and you know it," Seamus replied shortly.

Lavender glared at him. "Well, why don't you tell me why I did it then?"

"I don't know why you did!" Seamus exclaimed. "But you used Malfoy as an excuse when we first got together and at that point sure, I bought it. But five years later? Come on Lav," he shook his head. "I don't want to fight with you over it."

"You're unbelievable!" Lavender said, rounding on him. "So, I guess since your young starlet dumped you for greener pastures, you thought you'd give me another go, is that it? Planning on getting me back for what I did?"

"That's not true," Seamus snapped.

"It is so!" Lavender retorted.

"No it's not!" Seamus was growing flustered, and it was pissing him off. He'd come out here to tell Lavender that he wanted to give their relationship another chance but with the way she was acting, he wasn't so sure anymore.

"You know what, Seamus?" Lavender asked him thoughtfully. "What happened, happened. We can't change it. For whatever reason, I didn't listen to you back then. Okay? I'm sorry for that. I'm more sorry than you could imagine. But, are you going to make me pay for that mistake for the rest of my life?"

Seamus looked at her for a few moments. "Do you know what I was planning with Lola when you broke up with me?" he asked coolly.

"No," she answered, folding her arms. "What?"

"I was planning on asking you to marry me," he said bluntly. "She was helping me work out a proposal to knock your socks off." he turned away on the path. "Now you tell me who's been paying for what."

Lavender stared at him, her mouth agape. "You...you were...marry you?"

Seamus didn't answer as he began to walk away.

Lavender quickly followed him. "Wait a minute! You can't just say something like that and walk away! You were going to ask me to marry you?"

"I was," he said in the same cool, detached tone. "Look where that got me."

"Seamus," Lavender said quietly. "I didn't know..."

Seamus stopped in his tracks, knowing what she said was right. She hadn't known. "Where do we go from here?" he asked.

She shrugged, still somewhat in shock from what he'd told her. They could have been married, Lavender thought. They might have even had their own children by now.

"I don't know, Seamus. But, I...I don't want to lose you again."

"You don't?" he asked, a hopeful tone creeping into his voice.

Lavender shook her head.

He reached for her and hugged her tightly. "I don't want to lose you either." he said thickly.

Hugging him back, Lavender rested her head on his shoulder. "So we could start over?"

"Does this mean you'll draw my storyboards for me again?" he asked, trying to make a joke.

She pulled away and laughed. "You still can't do that? You're a big-shot director, Seamus! Don't you have 'people' for that?"

"I was just teasing you," he smiled down at her. "I still love you Lav. You know that right?"

"You do?" she asked hopefully. "I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. I certainly haven't made things easy on you."

"Guess you can't help who you fall for," he replied.

"No," she said, grinning back at him. "I guess you can't."

"What about you?" he asked, moving his arms down to her waist.

"I never got over you," she said softly. "I told myself I did, but I didn't. Hence the two non-marriages."

"The ones that never existed right?" Seamus teased gently.

"Exactly," Lavender said with a giggle. "You're catching on, Seamus."

He hugged her again, kissing the side of her head. "So... how about you let me take you out before we leave?"

"Like on a proper date?" she asked shyly.

"Yeah," he said. "Or we could just skip straight to the shagging."

"Don't press your luck, Finnigan," she teased.