Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Hi all- sorry for the late update- and to our anonymous reviewer who has taken to swearing at us if the chapter isn't up- we do have lives, I'm sorry, and we both happened to be busy and not home until late. Fanfiction unfortunately has to come second to work and real life duties.

Anyways- there are two more chapters after this and Hillsdale Nights will be finished! We hope as always that you enjoy this and please leave us a few words to let us know what you think!

Beautiful Life - Charlotte Martin

You can't judge the love by the lover
The sky by its thunder
The road with no sign
You can't make the snow fall in summer
Or make him not want her
And not leave you behind
Maybe he'll stay in touch years down the road
And hope that he's still on your mind

The sun may come up and go down again
I'll still swear it's a beautiful life

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Hyde Park. Many people were taking full advantage ofthe day and were sitting on the grass enjoying picnics or playing impromptu games of football. Chiaki sat on one of the park benches deep in thought waiting for Toshio. After what had happened this morning, she needed to see him more than she ever had in her life. Her parents were both at work and she didn't want to disturb them.

"Okay, beautiful," Toshio said striding toward her. "What was so urgent that it couldn't wait?"

Without a word, Chiaki stood up and threw her arms around her fiancé. "Thank you so much for coming," she said, her face buried in his shoulder.

"What is it, Chi?" Toshio asked, hugging her back.

She pulled him down next to her on the bench. "My brother came to see me this morning," Chiaki said quietly.

Toshio frowned. "I'll say something to him. Tell him to leave you alone..."

"I don't know whether to believe him or not," Chiaki interrupted him. "He seemed so honest, but after what he did to Jules..."

"You trusted him before and you see where that got you," Toshio reminded her. "What exactly did he say to you?"

Chiaki explained to him what Nick's parents had done to them. "I guess I find it hard to believe anyone could do that to their kid, even though I know how horrible they are." she looked up at him. "I didn't tell you about meeting my birth father at Hillsdale."

"You met Draco Malfoy?" Toshio asked her. "I take it that it didn't go well?"

Chiaki shook her head. "He basically denied that I was his, even though we have the same eyes. He's horrible Tosh."

"We knew that," Toshio said gently, pulling her close. "Makes you appreciate Neville even more, doesn't it?"

"More than anything," Chiaki wiped her eyes. "But what do you think about Nick though? Part of me wants to believe him but the other part says he's just lying and wants to trick us again."

Toshio looked thoughtfully at her. "From what I've heard about his parents, it certainly seems plausible, Chi. But I can't tell you whether or not to believe him. That first day you met him---not that night at the club---but that day you met him with your family. What made you believe he was sincere then?"

"He was with my uncle Ron," Chiaki said. "And he was so nice to my sisters and they were squealing and making him sign their silly magazines."

"And when he talked to you this morning," Toshio said softly. "What was your first thought; your first instinct?"

"I almost slammed the door in his face," Chiaki said ruefully.

"Chi," Toshio said wiping a tear from her cheek. "Like I said before, I can't tell you what to think or how to feel. But, it sounds to me like he was telling you the truth. And Ron and his parents seem to believe him, too. They're usually a pretty good judge of character I think. They liked me, didn't they?"

He got the reaction he was hoping for when she laughed. "I suppose you're right," she said.

"There's that beautiful smile I love so much," he said, kissing her forehead.

Chiaki leaned against him as he put his arms around her. "Thank you," she said, her voice muffled. "I knew you'd help me figure things out."

"That's what I'm here for," Toshio said with a grin. "And if he is lying, I'll wipe the floor with him. See, I can be protective and caring all at the same time!"

Chiaki laughed harder this time. "I love you so much," she hugged him tightly.

"That's good to know," he whispered. "Because I love you so much, too."

"I can't wait until we're married," Chiaki replied. "And you're going to be such a good father someday."

"Will I now?" Toshio asked grinning at her.

"Yes," Chiaki said, giving him a kiss. "But don't expect that to happen anytime soon."

"Okay," Toshio said. "But I happen to have my flat to myself for the first time in days. No pesky flatmates to bother us. How about we go back to mine?"

"That sounds fabulous," Chiaki said as he helped her up.

"Alright now?" Toshio asked squeezing her hand.

"It will be," Chiaki said. "Sooner or later. I just wish Julie was as happy with someone, even Nick as I am with you."

"She will be," Toshio said with a cheeky grin. "But you realise good guys like me are hard to come by. Too bad I can't clone myself or something."

Chiaki laughed. "Two of you is more than this world could handle."

*** *** ***

Drew sat on the sofa, kicking her heels sullenly. Beside her, Jon was moodily staring out the window. Josh was happy, but only because Lizzy was sitting next to him, quite closely, on the loveseat reading a book. Luna and Maddie were wrapping the presents they had gotten for Julie and Darla was teasing Dolly, who was locked in her cage.

"It's not fair Mum," Drew burst out a moment later. "Why do we have to live all the way in Ireland?"

Luna looked up in surprise. "That's where your father's shops are, Drew."

"But Uncle Fred and Uncle George have shops here too!" Drew said angrily. "Why can't Dad run those instead?"

Luna had never heard Drew get this upset. Before she could answer her, Jon spoke up. "Yeah, we have no family in Ireland, Mum. No friends."

Josh looked up at his brother. "You never complained about it before," he said.

"I didn't have Allie before, did I?" Jon asked.

"Jon," Luna said quietly. "You'll only have to be away from Allie for a couple of weeks. Then, you'll be back at school."

"Whatever," Jon resumed his moody staring.

Drew swung her foot out again and kicked Dolly's cage. "I hate that stupid pixie," she snapped.

"Drew!" Luna chastised her.

Maddie began to cry. "You scared Dolly!"

"So what?" Drew kicked the cage again.

"Drew!" Luna exclaimed. "Don't do that!"

"It's just a stupid pixie," Drew was ready to throw quite a tantrum. She kicked the cage so hard it turned over on its side.

Maddie walked over and kicked her sister in the shin and both girls started crying.

"Lizzy?" Luna asked trying to stay calm. "Would you mind leaving me alone with my children?"

"Of course," Lizzy said, jumping up. "I think I hear my mum calling me anyways." she shot Josh a look as she made a graceful exit.

"You're mean!" Maddie hollered as soon as Lizzy had left. "You hate Dolly!"

"Everyone hates Dolly!" Drew retorted. "You get everything you want! I bet if YOU wanted to move back here we would!"

"Well I wouldn't do that to Daddy!" Maddie shouted back. "I don't make him sad like you do DREW!"

"I don't make him sad!" Drew said getting in her little sister's face. "At least I don't have some horrid pet that ate his favourite shirt!"

"I FIXED DADDY'S SHIRT!" Maddie's face was streaked with tears. "You just pouted and ate all his ice cream!"

"ENOUGH!" Luna exclaimed getting in between her daughters. "Apologise to your sister, Drew. And you apologise to Drew, Maddie."

"No," Drew crossed her arms.

"Drew Caroline Weasley," Luna hissed. "Apologise now or you'll go straight up to your room."

"No," Drew boldly faced her mother.

"Drew just say you're sorry." Josh said. "Don't be a brat." Maddie had retreated to his side and he was stroking her hair protectively.

"I'm sorry, Maddie," Drew said reluctantly.

"I'm sorry," Maddie said in a tiny voice. She still had tears running down her cheeks.

"I just don't' get why that thing gets to live here and we don't," Drew muttered.

"Dolly's coming back with us, isn't she Mummy?" Maddie asked.

"Yes, if she doesn't get into any more trouble," Luna answered.

"It's just not fair." Drew crossed her arms as tears pricked at her eyes.

Luna hugged Drew. "Sweetheart, what brought all of this on? I thought you loved living in Ireland. You never mentioned anything before."

"Yeah but I never had as much fun here," Drew complained as her twin sat next to her.

"Yeah, Mum," Jon chimed in. "All of your friends are here. All of your family. You heard Granddad yesterday when we visited him at the Quibbler. He kept talking about how great it was that we were there."

Josh nodded, although he didn't feel one way or the other about it. "How come Dad can't ask Uncle Fred or Uncle George about moving back here?" he asked.

"I suppose he could," Luna said. "But--"

Ron opened the door to the sitting room and took in the scene before him. Two of his daughters were in tears and Luna was standing before them with her arms crossed. "What's going on?"

"Drew's having a fit about not living here in London," Jon answered.

"You feel the same way!" Drew pointed out. "Don't you, Jon?"

"I'm not having a tantrum over it and kicking my sister's pet around," Jon shot back.

"Drew?" Ron asked walking over to his daughter. "Did you really do that?"

"Yes," Drew answered sullenly.

"But I thought we talked about this the other day," Ron said. "You said you understood."

"But I don't!" Drew said, starting to cry again. "I want to live here!"

Ron looked at Luna for help. "Do they all feel this way?"

"I don't know," she answered.

"I'd just like to live here with all my friends," Jon said. "And Allie."

"What about you, Josh?" Ron asked.

Josh shrugged. "It doesn't matter to me Dad."

"It doesn't matter to me either, Daddy," Darla said. "I'm happy either place."

"I like it where you are happy Daddy," Maddie said quietly, rubbing her tearstained cheeks.

"Well I like it here," Drew said, her arms crossed. "And none of you can change my mind!"

Ron sighed. "I'd ask R.J., but I don't reckon he would understand."

Maddie shook her head solemnly. "I bet he wouldn't." she got off the sofa and picked up Dolly's cage and hugged it.

"You're all acting as if we live on another planet," Ron said quietly. "We can visit anytime we want."

"It's not that easy Dad," Jon said. "I'm not trying to be difficult but you know it's not."

"I know," Ron said. He sat down beside Drew. "Sweetheart, I want you to be happy. You know that, right? I don't like seeing you upset. And you're not the type to go kicking things around and saying hurtful things to your little sister."

"I know," Drew said, trying to stifle her sobs. "I'm just going to miss everyone so much!"

Ron hugged her. "I know. I will, too."

Luna stroked Drew's red hair. "Sweetheart maybe we can work something out that we can come visit more often." she offered.

"It's not the same, Mum," Drew said.

"Well Drew we can't just move back." Ron said. "You know, when I was your age, my parents barely had enough money to support us. I always said when I got older and had kids I would do what I had to do to make sure they lived comfortably."

"But can't you manage one of the shops here?" Jon asked. "Don't get me wrong, Dad. I appreciate all that you and Mum have done for us and provided for us."

"I've tried," Ron said. "I really have. I'd love to move back here but right now it's just not possible."

"You really tried, Daddy?" Drew asked, looking hopefully at him. "Really?"

"I really did sweetheart," Ron kissed her cheek. "I want to make you all happy."

Drew hugged him. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"It's all right," Ron brushed her hair off her forehead and pressed his lips to her skin.

Luna looked at Jon expectantly, waiting for him to apologise to Ron as well.

Jon caught his mother's glance and grunted. "I'm sorry too Dad. I didn't mean to make a fuss about moving."

"It's okay," Ron said smiling at him. "I understand wanting to be with the girl you love, Jon. I would be helpless if I didn't have your mum."

Jon grinned back, realising that his father understood a lot better than he let on.

Luna mussed Jon's hair. "Perhaps we can talk Nev and Cho into letting her come stay with us for a few days."

"Really?" Jon brightened. "You think they will?"

"Couldn't hurt to ask," Luna said, putting an around him. "Especially if you promise to behave."

"Hey I behave," Jon said. "I'm not the one flinging water all over the kitchen."

"You're just the one sneaking off to snog everywhere," Josh retorted, glaring at Jon.

"At least we sneak off so everyone doesn't have to watch." Jon returned,

Luna laughed. "Boys...just when I thought you were getting along..."

"We're getting along fine," Jon said. "Especially now that Josh got himself a girlfriend. But don't let her see RJ mate. She may change her mind." he teased.

"I don't have a girlfriend!" Josh exclaimed. "I've gone out on one date and suddenly she's my girlfriend?"

"Two dates," Jon pointed out. "You are taking her to Jules' party."

"And you snogged her in the kitchen," Maddie said. "I heard it from Lizzy's mummy."

Josh blushed. "Are you listening in on people's conversations now, Mad Dog?"

Maddie shrugged, still clutching Dolly's cage.

"Maddie," Luna said. "Don't listen in on other people's conversations. It's not polite."

"Okay Mummy," Maddie was clearly losing interest in the conversation as she carried her pixie's cage over to the corner of the room.

Ron took Luna's hand and led her outside.

"What about you?" he asked softly. "You didn't say how you felt about this."

"I'm with you Ronald," Luna said. "You're all I really need. You and the kids."

Ron kissed her. "I would be completely helpless without you."

"I know you would," Luna laughed as she kissed him back.

"You know I expected this from Jon, but I really didn't realise Drew was so unhappy, Luna," Ron said quietly when they pulled apart. "I thought the other day when she and I talked about it, she did understand."

"I guess she really enjoys being here with her friends and family," Luna said. "She's never seemed unhappy before we came here."

"I know," Ron said. "We should probably try and visit more often. If there was anything I could do to get us back here, I would. You know that, right?"

"I know," Luna kissed him again. "And the kids know too Ron."

"Good," Ron said feeling much better.

'"Right," Luna said. "I love you."

"I love you," Ron said. "And where is my little boy? The only one who can't give me much grief yet?"

"He's asleep," Luna laughed. "Thankfully. If he saw Maddie start crying he'd start too."

Ron smiled. "Those two are thick as thieves."

"Getting there fast," Luna leaned against him. "Let's savour this peace and quiet for a moment shall we?"

Ron nodded and hugged her close.

*** *** ***

Chiaki led Allison and Frankie down the hall toward Julie's bedroom. They'd all decided it would be fun to get ready for the party together.

"Why do you think aunt Luna wanted to speak to Mum?" Allie asked. "I mean she sort of descended on her right when we walked in."

"Probably because she caught you and Jon doing something you weren't supposed to do," Frankie answered simply.

"Shut up Francesca," Allison retorted.

"It's probably nothing," Chiaki reassured Allison. She knocked on Julie's bedroom door. "Where's the birthday girl?"

Julie opened it immediately. "I'm here," she smiled.

"Happy Birthday!" Chiaki said giving her friend a hug.

"Happy Birthday, Jules!" Allison and Frankie chorused.

"Thanks you guys," Julie gave them each a hug. "Thanks for coming over. Maddie's been looking forward to getting dressed with 'the big girls' all morning."

Allison smiled at Maddie who was sitting on the edge of Julie's bed. "I heard your dress robes were really adorable, Maddie."

"I helped my Nana make them," Maddie nodded, her blonde curls bouncing on her shoulders. "They have flowers on them!"

"I'm sure they're very pretty," Allison said. She touched Maddie's curls. "You don't know how lucky you are to have such pretty hair. I wish my hair would curl like that."

"Thank you!" Maddie smiled at her and then reached up for a hug.

Chiaki grinned. "We could curl your hair like that, Al. If you wanted us too. And I think Jon would flip when he saw you."

"You could?" Allison asked. "Really?"

"Of course I could," Chiaki said motioning for Allison to come over to the dressing table. "I could also do your makeup if you want."

"I'll do my own makeup," Frankie replied.

"Okay," Chiaki said nonplussed.

"I can't wait to see what she comes up with," Allison whispered to Chiaki.

"Come on Drew," Julie said. "I'll help you if you want."

"I want to do Darla's makeup," Drew said. "And she's going to do mine."

"Will you put some on me?" Maddie asked. "Please Julie?"

"Sure," Julie grinned picking up Maddie. "But I don't see how we could make you any cuter than you already are."

"You can make me pretty like you!" Maddie appealed.

Julie beamed at her. "Come on, Maddie."

Lizzy poked her head inside. "I'm sorry to interrupt. Would you lot mind if I hung out with you?"

"No way," Allison said. "Get in here Lizzy! I want to give you the third degree about you and Josh."

Lizzy blushed. "There's nothing to tell."

"Please," Allison said as Chiaki began to mess with her hair. "I know you two got caught snogging in the kitchen."

"By your mum," Frankie chimed in.

Lizzy groaned. "Don't remind me."

All the girls laughed, even Maddie. "So Jules are you looking forward to this disgustingly large party?" Chiaki asked. "I know you are, especially with all the gifts you're getting."

Julie laughed. "The presents are nice, but I'm really glad that all my friends and family are going to be here."

"Even..." Chiaki's voice trailed off. Even though she had decided to give Nick the benefit of the doubt after talking to Toshio, she didn't know yet what Julie's stance on the matter was.

"He said he was coming, but it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't," Julie said. "I'm going to have a good time today. There's not going to be any more moping and feeling sorry for myself."

Allison smiled at Julie. "I'm glad to hear that," she said.

"Me too," Julie said. There was a knock on the door and Darla got up to answer it. It was Hermione.

"Julie?" Hermione said smiling at her daughter. "I have something for you."

"What's that Mum," Julie set down the brush she'd been using for Maddie's cheeks and got up.

Hermione held out a small, neatly wrapped box. Julie grinned as she took the box from her mother and unwrapped it. Inside was a beautiful silver locket much like the one Harry had given to Hermione.

"I thought it would look nice with your robes," Hermione said softly.

"Mum," Julie's eyes filled with tears. "It's... it's beautiful."

"I'm so glad you like it," Hermione said, giving her a hug. "Happy Birthday, Julie."

"Thank you so much," Julie hugged her mother tightly.

"Thank you, Julie," Hermione whispered. "My sweet, beautiful girl."

"You're the best," Julie said, smiling at her. "You and Dad have already given me so much today." Her parents had presented her with a solid gold watch earlier that day at breakfast.

Hermione smiled. "I won't keep you girls any longer. Have fun getting ready."

"We'll be down in a little while," Julie promised.

When the girls were alone again, they all crowded around Julie to see the locket.

"That's beautiful, Jules," Chiaki said admiringly.

"I can't wait to wear it tonight," Julie said. "I wonder... do you think it does what my Mum's locket does? Where it shows the person I'm thinking of?"

"One way to find out," Allison said. "Open it."

Julie pulled it carefully from the box and pried it open.

"I knew it," Chiaki said as a picture showed up inside. "I knew you were thinking about him." she grinned at her friend.

Julie's cheeks reddened. "I almost wish he wouldn't show up, Chi. I'm scared...to let him back in."

"Don't be," Chiaki reassured her.

"Easier said than done," Julie said. She closed the locket and set it on the dressing table. "Anyway, let's get ready."

"Right," Chiaki and Allison returned to the table and Julie started doing Maddie's makeup again.

"Francesca," Chiaki said a few minutes later. "You are NOT wearing that red lipstick!"

"Why not?" Frankie asked. "It's pretty!"

"It clashes," Maddie said looking over Julie's shoulder.

"Besides that it's tacky," Allison answered. "And it would only be cute if you were Maddie's age."

"Fine," Frankie said grabbing a tissue and wiping off the lipstick. "How about I just wear gloss instead?"

"That's fine," Chiaki said. "You know Mum and Dad would never let you wear that colour anyway."

"Probably not," Frankie admitted.

Allison looked at Lizzy who was brushing her hair. "Lizzy, you should wear your hair down today. Look at how wavy it is."

"I guess," Lizzy said. "It's just so unruly sometimes."

"I know what you mean," Julie said sympathetically. "Mine drives me crazy."

"I'll help you with it as soon as I'm done with Allison's," Chiaki offered.

"Thanks, Chiaki," Lizzy said gratefully.

"I know something you don't know," Maddie said turning her head to look at Allison.

"What?" Allison asked.

"If I tell you it might spoil the surprise and your mummy might say no," Maddie said grinning at her.

"What?" Allison nearly bounced in the chair. "Madeline Weasley!"

"My mummy is asking if you can come and stay with us for a few days in Ireland," Maddie replied.

"WHAT?" Allison shrieked.

"Maddie!" Darla exclaimed. "You weren't supposed to say anything in case Allie's mum says no!"

"She won't say no," Chiaki replied. "It's Dad they'll have to convince."

"You don't think he'd say no, do you?" Allison asked. "Merlin, Chiaki! He's never going to say yes!"

"If Mum works things the right way she'll convince him to let you go," Chiaki said confidently. She grinned. "You're going to visit Jon in Ireland," she said in a sing song voice.

"I hope so," Allison said with a shy grin. "I hope mum can work her powers of persuasion."

Julie smiled at her. "I hope you get to go Allie. Jon really likes you a lot."

"No, he doesn't," Maddie said shaking her head.

"Maddie!" Drew exclaimed.

"He loves her, Drew!" Maddie answered giggling.

"Awwww!" Julie and Chiaki both cooed at once.

Allison blushed. "You guys..."

"That's so sweet," Chiaki said. "You and Jon are in love!"

"We are," Allison admitted with a bright smile.

"How's this?" Frankie asked, turning around so everyone could see.

"Frankie! No one wears orange lipstick!" Chiaki said trying not to laugh. "Why don't you just let me do your makeup?"

"I can do it!" Frankie insisted.

"Fine," Chiaki rolled her eyes. "There Allie. How do you like your hair?"

Allison gasped as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Chiaki had styled her hair in wavy curls.

"Is that really me?" Allison asked.

"Yes," Chiaki laughed. "You look gorgeous."

Allison smiled. "Thank you, Chiaki. I certainly couldn't have done this myself."

"Anytime," Chiaki grinned at her sister. "Now go let Julie do your makeup once she's finished with Maddie. Lizzy, let's see what I can do for you."

"Good luck with my bird's nest," Lizzy said as she took Allison's empty seat at the dressing table.

"You have nice hair," Chiaki waved off Lizzy's words.

"All right Miss Madeline," Julie said. "You are finished and drop dead gorgeous!"

"Thanks, Julie," Maddie said giving her a hug. "Happy Birthday!"

"You're welcome," Julie said, hugging her back. "Thank you- now go get your robes on and show us how pretty they are!"

"Okay," Maddie said. "I think they're in Mummy and Daddy's room. I'll be right back!"

"How cute is she?" Chiaki asked.

"Too cute," Julie said as Allison sat down in front of her. "What colour are your robes Allie?"

"Periwinkle," Allison replied. "It's my favourite colour."

"That's the same colour as the robes my mum is wearing today," Julie said, selecting some blush. "They're the first set of robes my aunt designed for her back on her birthday a long time ago." She began to stroke the brush across Allison's cheeks. "She made me some for today. They're a really light pink."

"I'm sure you're going to look beautiful as always," Allison said. She groaned as she saw Frankie putting on purple eye shadow.

"She's not going to get it is she?" Julie giggled quietly. "Drew and Darla are doing a better job than she is."

"I wish she'd let one of us help," Allison whispered back.

"Sooner or later she'll give up," Julie said softly. "But she'll never let Chiaki do it now."

"Maybe she'll let me," Allison said thoughtfully. "Frankie gets on my nerves sometimes, but she can be really sweet when she wants to be."

"When she wants to be," Julie laughed. "Close your eyes."

Allison did as she was told and Drew stepped forward to watch. She wanted to do Darla's makeup as well as Julie was doing Allie's. Julie smiled at the younger girl.

"Hey, Miss Drew," Julie said grinning at her. "Are you feeling better? Josh said you were really sad about not being able to stay here."

Drew nodded. "I'm okay. Daddy said we could come visit more often."

"I'm all for that," Julie said. "I've really enjoyed having you guys here. It's helped me out more than you know."

"We're glad Jules," Allison said.

"Me too," Julie said getting back to work on Allison's makeup.

Maddie came back inside the room and she was now wearing her dress robes. She spun around for everyone to see. "I made Daddy close his eyes. 'Cause I don't want him to see me yet."

"Awwww!" Chiaki and Julie chorused again. "Maddie you look beautiful!"

"Thank you," Maddie beamed at them.

"What did Mum say about your makeup?" Drew asked.

"She said I looked very pretty," Maddie said happily. "But she's not going to let me take Dolly to the party. She was afraid she'd get loose."

"She'd probably tear everything down," Darla said. "Drew come on, do my makeup!"

"Okay, okay," Drew said. "Let's make you beyooootiful."

Chiaki was still fussing with Lizzy's hair. "There," she said. "How's that?"

"Wow," Lizzy said in awe. "That's...that's amazing. You are a miracle worker."

"Thank you," Chiaki grinned. "You learn a few things backstage." She'd pulled Lizzy's hair back on the sides and let it fall down her back.

"Wait until Josh sees you," Allison said grinning at her friend. "I bet he doesn't recognise you."

Lizzy turned red. "He will," she replied. "I don't look that different. I only put my contacts in that's all."

"I like you in your glasses," Maddie said smiling at her. "You look nice either way."

"Thank you Maddie," Lizzy said. "I'm going to go get into my new robes."

Julie finished up with Allison's makeup and Allison gave her a hug. She walked over to Frankie and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Frankie," Allison said tentatively. "Let me help you."

"I can do it!" Frankie insisted stubbornly.

"I know you can," Allison said quickly. "But I just wanted to help you. Remember like we used to when we were younger? Come on, Frankie. It'll be fun."

Frankie looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. "Okay Allie."

"Yay!" Allison said clapping her hands together. She led Frankie to the corner of the room.

Drew and Darla finished each other's makeup and they both went off to change into their robes. Maddie decided to go and check on Dolly before the party.

Chiaki saw that Julie was sitting in front of the mirror with a far-away look on her face. "Jules?"

"Yeah?" Julie asked.

"How you doing?" Chiaki asked. "Nervous?"

"Not really," Julie shook her head as she fastened her new locket over her neck. "Do you think he'll really come Chiaki? I know he and I talked the other day but--"

"I think he'll be here," Chiaki said thoughtfully. "He's come all this way, hasn't he? I don't see him backing down now."

"He talked to you didn't he?" Julie disappeared into her closet to change into her new robes.

"Yes," Chiaki admitted. "I wanted to shut the door in his face, but I wanted to hear what he had to say."

"What did you think?" Julie asked softly, still in the closet.

"I'm still not sure," Chiaki said truthfully. "But...but I want to believe him, Jules."

"I do too," Julie emerged with her new robes on. "I can't stop thinking about him Chi."

"He said the same thing about you," Chiaki said softly. She looked at her friend. "You look amazing."

"Thanks," Julie began fiddling with her hair. "I love him but I'm scared of getting hurt again."

"I know," Chiaki said softly.

"What should I do?" Julie asked.

"I wish I could tell you," Chiaki replied. "This is one you have to figure out on your own. I'd like to think that he's not so stupid that he'd try to pull something over on all of again. There'd be a queue around the block to hex him."

That made Julie smile. "You're right," she said. "I guess I don't think he would try and fool me again. He wouldn't have come back, would he, if he was trying to trick me?"

"I don't think so," Chiaki said.

Julie nodded. "Well?" she asked. "The finished product." she struck a pose and laughed.

"Gorgeous!" Chiaki said dramatically. "Simply mah-velous!"

"You look gorgeous too," Julie said. "But then again you always do."

"Please," Chiaki said rolling her eyes.

"Shall we?" Julie asked. "I'm sure everyone will be arriving soon."

"After you, Birthday Girl," Chiaki said, putting an around her.

"Thanks Chi," Julie said. "When's Toshio getting here?"

"Soon, I expect."

"Good," Julie said as they descended the stairs. Harry was in the hallway, making sure some last minute decorations were in place.

He looked up and grinned. "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

"Thanks Dad," Julie said. "You look handsome too."

Harry laughed. "Well, I had to clean up nice on my daughter's big day."

"Where's Ethan?" Chiaki asked. "Last time I saw him he was complaining about wearing robes."

"He's around here somewhere," Harry said. "Probably in the sitting room."

"Thanks for my locket," Julie said kissing her father on the cheek. "I love it, Dad."

"You're welcome love." Harry said. "It works just like your Mum's. She wanted to get it for you because she knows how much you like hers."

"I love hers," Julie said grinning at him. "Thank you both so much for this, the watch, the party..."

"You're the best Jules," Harry said. "We want you to be happy."

Julie smiled and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

Chiaki put her hands on her hips. "Thanks, Uncle Harry! Now she's going to ruin her makeup!'

"No I'm okay," Julie carefully wiped her eyes.

"Absolutely not!" Neville was saying adamantly as he and Cho walked down the stairs. "She's not going!"

"Neville she's a big girl," Cho argued. "And you said you trusted Jon. I trust him and besides that Ron and Luna are our best friends."

"I thought Hermione and I were your best friends," Harry teased.

"You are," Cho said. "We can have more than one best friend."

"Harry," Neville said. "Back me up on this one. Would you let your 15-year old daughter go and stay with her much older boyfriend?"

"He's barely a year older than she is," Cho said shaking her head.

"Neville," Harry said. "You can let her go. Sooner or later she's going to be moving out of your house and then what will you do? This is just practise mate."

"She's 15," Neville said scowling at Harry. "She's not going to be moving out any time soon."

Cho sighed impatiently. "Your overprotective is sweet Neville but it's getting annoying. Allie's a good girl, and smart. And Jon is a perfectly respectable, nice young man."

Jon and Josh picked that moment to come downstairs as well and Jon froze when he saw the look on Neville's face.

"He looks like he wants to kill me," Jon whispered to his brother.

"Just play it cool," Josh replied out of the corner of his mouth.

"Hello boys," Cho said smiling at them. "Don't you look handsome!"

"Thank you," Josh said and Jon mumbled something. "Has um... has anyone seen Lizzy?"

"She and Allie should be down soon," Chiaki said. "Allie was helping Frankie with her makeup and last I saw Lizzy she was going to put on her robes."

"Okay," Josh said.

Ethan came into the room, grumbling about something. He put a hand up when Julie moved to pinch his cheeks.

"Don't even think about it!" he said folding his arms. "Dad, these robes are making my neck itch!"

"You look handsome Ethan," Harry said. "They'll be fine after an hour or so."

"You're lying," Ethan said grumpily.

"He is not," Hermione said. "You look very nice Ethan. And if you touch those robes I'm going to put a spell on them so that you won't be able to take them off at all."

"Mum!" Julie exclaimed turning around to get a look at her mother. "You look brilliant!"

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione said. "You look gorgeous yourself."

Upstairs, Ron and Luna were waiting outside their bedroom door for Maddie, Drew and Darla.

"The party will be over before Drew and Darla get ready," Ron said. He could smell the food and he was nearly salivating.

"Ron be patient," Luna said. "There's plenty of food even for you."

"Are you ready?" Drew called out from behind the door. "Close your eyes, Mum and Dad!"

"Okay," Ron and Luna both said obediently.

Drew slowly opened the door and she and her two sisters tiptoed out of the room. They stood in front of their parents with their arms linked.

"Open your eyes!" the three girls chorused.

"How do I look Daddy?" Maddie asked brightly as her parents stared at the three of them.

Ron grinned at her. "You're going to be the three prettiest girls at the party."

"We are," Maddie nodded decisively. She touched the pretty silk flowers her Nana had sewed onto her robes. "I can't wait for everyone else to see us too!"

Ron picked Maddie up and swung her around. "And look at you in makeup, Maddie!"

"Julie only put a little bit on," Maddie explained. "And then Drew and Darla did their own!"

Luna grinned at her twin girls. "You did a good job, girls."

"Thanks Mum," the twin girls grinned at each other.

"Nice to see you smiling again, Drew," Ron said.

"I'm feeling better Dad," Drew replied.

"My girls, are you ready to go downstairs?" Ron asked.

"I'm ready to eat, Daddy!" Maddie said putting her arms around his neck.

"So am I sweetheart," Ron said. "And I can't wait for everyone to see what beautiful daughters I have."

Luna smiled adoringly at her husband. She wondered if he even knew what a great father he was.

Downstairs, Julie had just gone into the large room where the party was taking place. It was times like this when she was glad that her family lived in such a large house. The ballroom had an attached balcony, and the French doors were wide open, allowing the breeze to blow through.

"There she is!" Robert said chuckling as his granddaughter came into view. "Happy Birthday!"

"Grandpa," Julie beamed at the sight of her grandparents. "I missed you both!" she hugged them tightly.

"I can't believe you're 20 years old," Elinore said starting to tear up.

Julie smiled. "Not until about half past seven tonight."

"I stand corrected," Elinore said wiping a tear from her cheek. "And your mother tells me congratulations are in order on your new job!"

"Just got word the other day," Julie replied. "I start in September."

"And may I say, your robes look absolutely fabulous on you," Lavender joined her aunt, uncle and Julie. She smiled and hugged the younger girl. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Aunt Lav," Julie said hugging her back. "And not just for the robes..."

"I'm going to miss you so much when I move," Lavender said, tearing up as she hugged Julie tighter.

"We'll owl each other all the time and visit," Julie promised. "I've never been to Los Angeles."

"Well once I know my way around, you'll come visit and we'll go shopping," Lavender promised.

"You'll have that place mapped out in a day," Julie joked.

"Aye," Lavender nodded as she spotted Seamus across the room and waved him over. "I was just telling the birthday girl that she'd have to come visit us in LA."

"Definitely," Seamus said pecking Julie on the cheek. "We'll even bring you by the studio."

"Really?" Julie asked excitedly. "So I can see you work?"

"He's sort of..." Lavender said, searching for the best word to describe Seamus when he was on the set. "He's more like...well he's..."

"According to her, I'm a tyrant," Seamus smiled at his fiancée. "But I get things done. I'm one of the top paid directors in the business."

"I wouldn't say you were a tyrant," Lavender said quickly.

"You have before," Seamus teased.

Lavender looked helplessly around. "Where's that birthday cake?"

Julie laughed. "Right Aunt Lav. I've got to get myself settled into my new job before I can come out to visit."

"Which will leave you plenty of time for this," Robert said pulling an envelope out. "I know it's not time for presents yet, but your grandmother and I wanted to give you this..."

Julie took it and carefully opened it. "You gave me this much?" she cried in shock, looking at the cheque.

"We'd give you more if we could," Robert said smiling at her. "I know you've been talking about getting your own place. I hope this will help..."

"It will," Julie hugged them again. "Thank you both so much!"

Chiaki came over to Julie and tapped her on the shoulder. She smiled apologetically at the Grangers. "Do you mind if I steal Julie away for a moment?"

"We'll see you later sweetheart," Elinore said.

When she and Julie were alone, Chiaki squeezed her friend's hand. "He's here, Jules."