Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Our sincerest apologies for not responding to review replies this time around. The weekdays are kind of hectic for both of us and work took precedence, but we did read them! We're really glad that you all seem to be taking to our original characters---Nick & Julie, Jon/Allie/Josh and the other kidlets. I know some of you might be upset with the decreased "air time" for Harry/Hermione, but they are happy---especially after what happened in Time of their Lives. Please read and review!

2nd A/N from Heaven: My apologies to all of you who expected this up last night- I'm working the overnight shift at my job this week and it's screwed up my sleep schedule as well as my trains of thought- Amy and I had this all ready to go up and then she signed off for the night and so did I, only to realise at 3 this morning that I had not posted. So I'm very VERY sorry to make you guys wait and I hope you'll all forgive me!!

Pretty Baby - Vanessa Carlton

Pretty baby don't you leave me
I have been saving smiles for you
Pretty baby why can't you see
You're the one that I belong to
I'll be the embrace that keeps you warm
For you're the sun that breaks the storm
I'll be alright and I'll sleep sound
As long as you keep comin' around, oh pretty baby

"Come on, Allie!" Frankie asked, scooting closer to her sister on the porch swing. "What was it like? Did he try and stick his tongue down your throat? Isn't that kind of gross?"

"Frankie!" Allison said. "I'm not giving you details I told you that already!"

"You told Chiaki about it!" Frankie retorted.

"Yes but she's actually snogged with someone," Allison replied. "You haven't!"

Frankie groaned and stalked back into the cabin, slamming the front door behind her.

"Frankie!" Allison called out in vain. Her sister didn't reappear and she didn't feel like going in to argue over it, so she stayed on the swing, pushing herself with her foot.

Jon smiled as he saw Allie sitting on the porch swing outside her cabin. She was reading a magazine and absently curling a strand of hair around her finger. He crept closer to her cabin and ducked behind some bushes.

"Pssst!" he called out.

Allison looked up. "Who's there?" she called.

"It's me, Allie," he whispered, raising his head above the bushes. "Right behind you!"

"Jon?" Allison got up from the swing. "What in Merlin's name are you hiding in there for?"

"Because of your dad," Jon said, looking around for any sight of Neville Longbottom. "He's not here, is he?"

Allison laughed. "He's inside."

"I should probably go," Jon said reluctantly. He'd really wanted to see Allison, but he certainly didn't want to get either of them into further trouble.

"No," Allison said. "Jon it's okay."

"Really?" he asked, standing up.

"Yeah," She grinned at him. "I talked to him this morning after breakfast. I think my Mum must have said something to him, because he seemed okay with us now... well... as okay as a dad can be with his daughter dating."

Jon let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. I didn't make you feel uncomfortable that day at the movies, did I? That's the last thing I wanted to do, Al."

"No you didn't," Allison said as he climbed up onto the porch. "I liked it actually."

"You did?" he asked, smiling at her. "I liked it, too."

She slid next to him as he sat down. "Frankie's been asking me about it all morning."

He put an arm around her and squeezed her shoulder. "And what did you tell, Miss Frankie?"

"Nothing detailed," Allison giggled.

"Well, at least you didn't have Drew and Darla following you around singing the K-I-S-S-I-N-G song," he said, rolling his eyes. "And horribly off-key, too."

Allison laughed. "That's adorable," she snuggled in closer next to him.

"Al?" Jon teased. "You keep doing that and I might have to kiss you again."

"You won't see me complaining," Allison said a bit boldly.

Jon grinned before leaning in and kissing her softly.

She responded instantly, turning her body so he could slip his arms around her,.

"Mmmmm," Jon said, huskily pulling away from her for only a moment before kissing her again. He knew this was dangerous and that Mr. Longbottom could come out at any moment, but he didn't care at the moment.

"Oooh!" Frankie crowed from the door. "Allison's snogging with her BOY FRIEND!"

Jon froze and he and Allison pulled apart.

"Frankie GO AWAY!" Allison said through clenched teeth. "Or I'll tell all the boys at Hogwarts that you like to spy on them in the loo."

"I DO NOT!" Frankie yelled at her.

Jon laughed. "Does she really?"

"Yes," Allison glared at her younger sister.

"Allie!" Frankie scowled at her sister. "You wouldn't dare!"

"Then leave us alone!" Allison said. "And don't you dare go running to Dad either."

"Fine!" Frankie said, sticking out her tongue at her sister before going back inside.

"Little sisters, gotta love 'em," Jon teased.

"Glad I only have one," Allison replied, her face red at what her sister had been saying.

"There's something I wanted to ask you,'" Jon said, hoping to take her mind off of what Frankie had said.

"What's that?" she asked.

Jon wrung his hands nervously. "Well, you know the Yule Ball, right? I know its a few months away, but I was hoping you'd...well, that'd you'd go with me."

A grin spread across her face. "I'd love to go," she agreed instantly.

"If you didn't want to, that'd be okay," Jon said, not hearing her response. "Wait, did you just say yes?"

Allison laughed at him. "Yes," she said. "I said yes."

Jon beamed at her and kissed her chastely on the lips. "I think we'll have a great time, Al."

"I think so too," Allison kissed him back.

"So," he said, taking her hand. "So, you know people will probably think we're boyfriend and girlfriend now."

Allison gulped. "Is... that what we are?" she asked softly.

Jon rubbed his thumb along her hand. "Well, I know we haven't been together very long, but I...would you be okay with that?"

Allison bit her lower lip. "I think I'd like that a lot," she said shyly.

He kissed her again. "I should probably get going. Did you want to go for a walk or something later?"

"Sure," Allison smiled at him- her boyfriend. "That sounds great."

Jon kissed her once more and slowly backed off the porch, stumbling on the last step. He blushed. "You see what you do to me?" he called back to her, laughing.

"What, make you a clumsy oaf?" she teased back. "You do a fine job of that on your own Jonathan Weasley!"

"All because of you Allison Longbottom," he said, winking at her.

"I'll see you later Jon," she called.

"You can count on it," Jon called back to her, disappearing down the path.

*** *** ***

Harry was leaning back while Hermione rubbed her hands over his shoulders. Ethan's swimming lesson had tired him out and Lavender was nowhere to be found, so he and his wife had brought him back and were relaxing in the cabin while he slept. "That feels so good," he said, his eyes closed.

"You're really tense," Hermione commented. "Lots of knots."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I'll tell you why when we're finished."

Hermione nodded and continued the massage. "This brings back old times, doesn't it? I used to do this for you all the time when you were still in training."

"I know," Harry smiled up at her. "And I love you for it."

"I still think its the major reason why you married me," she teased, kissing the top of his head.

"Of course," Harry grinned. "Unlimited massages the rest of my life."

She laughed and squeezed his shoulder. "Okay, Harry. What happened?"

Harry groaned as she moved around his side. "This morning when I woke up there was a note on my bedside, signed by you, saying to meet you in the boathouse."

Hermione pulled a confused face. "I didn't leave you a note, Harry."

"I'll give you one guess as to who did," Harry said sarcastically.

Narrowing her eyes, Hermione shook her head. "No, please tell me it wasn't..."

"Our favourite Malfoy," Harry put his hand on his forehead.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Hermione exclaimed, trying to keep her voice down so they wouldn't wake up Ethan. "Did she really think that would work?"

Harry snorted. "She had it all planned out. Draco shows up and she tried to pretend that she and I were up to something."

"Even he isn't that thick," Hermione said angrily. "Why can't she just leave us alone?"

"I don't know," Harry was disgusted. "She was half in the bag too."

"Doesn't that just complete the pathetic picture?" Hermione said dryly. "You didn't...I mean, I know you wouldn't have, but you didn't kiss her or anything, did you Harry?"

"No," Harry shuddered at the thought. "She almost had me. It was dark in there and I couldn't see anything."

"Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn," Hermione said quietly.

Harry reached for his wife. "I'd have never let her do anything," he said. "I love you too much. I knew something was off when I stepped in there and then when she said she didn't even care about where Jules and Ethan were..."

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I trust you, Harry. But, her...I never have trusted and I never will."

"I don't trust her either," Harry replied.

"She's up to something," Hermione said thoughtfully. "First she pours wine all over my dress. Next, she and that sick husband of hers sic reporters on us and now, she's throwing herself at you. What I don't get is why? If she has this perfect life, why is she doing all of these things?"

"Because she doesn't have a perfect life," Harry stroked his wife's hair. "I'd feel sorry for her if she hadn't made her own bed with Malfoy. It's a wonder that Nick turned out so normal, living with two people like them."

"You know if they knew about Julie and Nick," Hermione began, but her voice trailed off. "If they even think of hurting..."

"I'll hurt them so bad they won't be able to walk for a week," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "There's something else I think you should know. I spoke with Cho at breakfast this morning. Chiaki had a run-in with Malfoy."

Harry tensed. "What did that asshole say to her?"

Hermione explained how Chiaki had run into Malfoy outside the disco and how he'd said some hurtful things to her about her family and he'd still refused to acknowledge her as his daughter.

"But Chiaki stood up to him," Hermione said proudly. "She said that she didn't need him and that Neville was more of a man and father than Malfoy could ever hope to be."

Harry grinned as he thought of his goddaughter. "She's a tough one, like her mum." he said fondly. "Good for her. I bet Malfoy was too stunned to talk."

"Probably," Hermione said, touching his cheek.

Harry leaned in and gave her a thorough kiss. "I'd never betray you," he said softly.

"I know," Hermione whispered. "I trust you completely, Harry."

Harry felt his body relax as she moved her hands over his shoulders. "I love you," he said.

Hermione kissed along his neck. "Harry? It would be a shame to waste this time we have, don't you think? We're all alone. Our son is asleep..."

"Exactly," Harry stood up then scooped her into his arms.

"Somehow we always end up here, don't we?" she said, smiling at him.

"I blame you," Harry replied. "If you weren't so damn tempting all the time..."

"Even after twenty years?" she asked him.

"Even after twenty years," Harry kissed her as he carried her into the bedroom and shut the door behind them.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, everyone gathered in the ballroom after dinner. At the moment, everyone was watching Cho and Harry dance in the middle of the floor. As the music came to a close, Harry dipped Cho to the applause of the entire ballroom.

Another song began and other couples joined them on the dance floor. Frankie squeezed her father's hand as they watched Cho dance with Harry.

"I wish I could dance as well as Mum and Chiaki," Frankie said, frowning.

"You're a great dancer," Neville reassured her. "How about you go out with me on the floor and show me what you can do?"

"Okay," Frankie agreed.

Neville led his daughter onto the floor and they slowly began to do a waltz. Frankie laughed as she stepped on her father's toes.

"I'm so sorry, Daddy!"

"That's all right sweetheart," Neville grinned at his daughter. "You should have seen your Mum's feet before she showed me a move or two."

Frankie laughed and she tried not to concentrate so much on her feet. Her mother always said you should never look down at your feet while you dance.

Draco Malfoy watched with a sneer as Longbottom took his young daughter around the floor. "How pathetic," he murmured to his wife.

"What?" Ginny asked.

"Longbottom," he said.

"He's such a nonentity," Ginny snorted.

"You went to the fucking Yule Ball with him," Draco laughed at her.

"It was a pity thing," Ginny said defensively. "Give me a break. It was a big deal and I wanted to go. At least I didn't slum around with that troll Pansy Parkinson."

"Pansy wasn't a troll," Draco sounded amused.

"Oh, please," Ginny huffed. "She was a complete troll."

"You sound jealous," Draco eyed her.

"I am not jealous of Pansy Parkinson of all people," Ginny said, putting her glass down on an empty table. "Come on. Let's dance."

Nick watched his parents go onto the dance floor with a sigh of relief. He'd been trading looks with Julie all evening whenever his parents weren't watching.

"Nick!" Maddie said, running at her cousin. Ron and Luna were in tow. "Do you like my new dress?"

"Hey," Nick grinned and picked her up. "You look gorgeous Maddie!" he kissed her cheek.

Maddie grinned and hugged him. "Mummy and I caught a Cornish pixie. I named her Dolly."

"You named your Cornish pixie Dolly?" Nick asked with a laugh.

"She names everything Dolly," Ron smiled at his daughter.

"I do not!" Maddie said, glaring at her father.

"Maddie," Luna teased. "You've had three hamsters, two cats and one dog. What did you name all of them?"

"Dolly," Maddie said. "And Wanker." she grinned proudly.

Luna rolled her eyes at Ron. "Do you see what you've done? You've turned our daughter into a potty mouth."

"Maddie?" Ron asked, taking her back from Nick. "What did we say about using that word?"

"It's okay to say it when I get big like you Daddy?" Maddie grinned innocently.

Nick ruffled Maddie's hair. "I love this kid."

"Are you going to come over and see my new Pixie soon?" Maddie asked brightly.

"I can't wait to see your pixie," Nick said grinning at her.

"Isn't this nice," Draco said, coming up behind them. "This another one of your sprongs, Weasley? How many do you have now? Ten?"

Nick exhaled sharply as Ron handed Maddie over to Luna.

"What do you want Malfoy?" Ron asked coolly.

"Hi," Maddie said, smiling at Draco from her mother's arms. "I'm Madeline Weasley, but you can call me Maddie."

Draco stared at the four year old with tremendous dislike.

"If it isn't my brother and his brood," Ginny came up aside her husband. "Hello little Martha. Hello Loony," she said coldly.

Maddie laughed. "My name's not Martha. It's Maddie. And my mummy's named Luna."

Nick watched this little scene and he swore if his father said one unkind word to that little girl, he'd regret it.

"My son has a father, Weasley," Draco said, turning his attention back to Ron. "I don't think you need to keep coming around and trying to get him into your little clan. Besides, you've got more than you can handle, right?"

"Your son deserves far better than either you or my sister has ever given him," Ron retorted. "Be a father instead of an asshole for once."

"You'd better watch your mouth, Weasley," Draco said icily. "Wouldn't want your brat to pick up on your language!"

Maddie began to cry and buried her face in Luna's shoulder.

"Look what you did," Nick said angrily. "What did she ever do to you to make you be so nasty all the time?"

"She's a Weasley," Draco said coldly. "That's enough for me."

"YOU MARRIED ONE!" Ron spat at him.

Luna held her daughter closely. "Come on sweetheart, let's go sit down okay?" she cast a dark look at the Malfoys, excluding Nick, before turning to leave.

"I'm a Malfoy now," Ginny said, linking arms with her husband.

"I don't care what you are," Ron retorted. "But you and your husband better stay away from me and my family. Or you'll regret it, Malfoy."

"I'm scared of you Weasel," Draco smirked. "I really am."

"You'd better be," Ron said angrily. His tone softened as he regarded his nephew. "Good evening, Nick."

Nick nodded, too upset to say anything. He hated his parents for continuously doing this to him.

"He's unbelievable," Draco sneered, watching Ron walk away.

"No, you two are," Nick snapped. "Can't you both leave me alone? You both ruined what could have been a good relationship between me and Julie. Now every time I talk to my uncle, you have to barge in."

"We're just saving you the time," Ginny said, trying to put a hand on her son's arm, but he angrily shoved her away. "You won't see them after this holiday, Nicholas."

"I could have if it weren't for you two," he glared at them both and stomped off.

Julie had been standing outside getting some fresh air. She was about to go back inside when she saw Nick stalk past her.

"Nick?" she called after him. "Hey! Wait up!"

He turned and relaxed when he saw who it was. "Hey Jules," he said. "Sorry... I didn't see you there."

"Is everything okay?" she asked him, concern etched on her face. "What happened?"

He sighed. "Just another run in with my parents," he shook his head. "I can't even talk to my uncle without my father barging in and ruining everything. My mum is no help either."

Julie hugged him tightly. "It's going to be okay, Nick. Really."

"I wish I could believe that," Nick replied.

"It will be," she said, pulling away a bit so she could look into his grey eyes. "Trust me."

He looked at her for a moment. "I do trust you," he said quietly. "I just don't trust THEM."

Julie nodded and hugged him again. "Just stay away from them as much as possible. We only have a few more days."

"Is that all that's left?" he asked, relaxing in her embrace. "I'm going back to Australia to get Greta and then I'm coming to London."

"See?" Julie smiled. "You've got it all figured out."

Nick smiled back at her then leaned in for a kiss. "I love you," he said quietly.

"I love you," she whispered, kissing him back.

"I wish I didn't have to go back in there," he said his forehead resting on hers. "Can we meet later after everyone's asleep?"

"I'll try and get away," Julie promised. "I should get back inside, too."

"Okay," Nick gave her one more kiss.

"Don't let them get you down, Nick," Julie said squeezing his hand. "Everything will be okay."

"Yeah," he said, still a bit unconvinced. "I guess I'll see you later then."

She nodded and walked back inside, wishing that they could walk in together. But, as she told Nick, it was only a few more days.

He sat outside for a few more minutes to calm his nerves down before re-entering the ballroom. He made a beeline for his parents as soon as he saw his father face to face with Neville.

"You were in my way, Longbottom," Draco was saying angrily. "Then again you always were a clumsy oaf."

"You're lucky I don't send my fist through your face right here," Neville was trying to keep his temper down. "I don't know where you get off acting all high and mighty here Malfoy."

"You couldn't hit your way out of a paper bag, Longbottom," Draco snorted.

"What the hell is going on now?" Nick asked, rounding on his mother.

"This klutz nearly knocked me over," Ginny snapped. "I could have twisted my ankle!"

"Your ankle is fine," Cho said, glaring at the redhead. "We barely bumped into you."

"You did it on purpose!" Ginny hissed at her.

"Right because I've been just DYING to come in contact with you," Cho rolled her eyes.

"Right," Draco said, stepping in between them. "Why don't you keep that daughter of yours..."

But he couldn't finish his sentence because Neville had grabbed him by the collar.

"You say one word about my daughter and so help me God, I'll kill you with my bare hands," Neville said, his cheeks flushed from anger.

"Easy Longbottom," Draco smirked.

"Dad!" Nick said, getting behind Neville. "Please. Just let it go!"

"Nicholas mind your own fucking business," Draco pulled free of Neville and glared at his son.

Nick got in his father's face. "What are you going to do about it if I don't?"

Draco sneered at him. "You just WAIT until we get back to the cabin Nicholas. You're in for it now."

Nick just shook his head and laughed. A crowd had gathered around all of them and Harry and Hermione joined the fray.

"Oh, wonderful," Draco said, smiling at them. "The gang's all here now!"

"What are you doing Malfoy?" Harry asked. "Why do you always have to stir things up?"

"I wasn't doing anything," Draco replied coolly. "My wife and I were dancing when Longbottom here bumped into us and nearly knocked Ginny to the ground."

"Enough Malfoy," Cho said coldly. "You've made your point."

"Come on, Ginny," Draco said, grabbing his wife's hand. "I think I need a drink."

"I think I need a double. And a shower. All this filth all over me." she looked at her son. "We're leaving Nicholas."

"He doesn't have to go with you," Ron said. "He's not a child anymore, Ginny."

"He's our son," Ginny glared at her brother. "And Nicholas you'd do well to remember Greta."

Nick scowled at his mother. Julie's words kept echoing in his mind that they'd only have to wait a few more days, but he honestly didn't know how was going to make it.

"I'm going to go with them," Nick said, turning to face his uncle. "Please apologise to Maddie for me."

"Nick," Ron put a hand on his nephew's arm. "You can talk to me if you need to..." he said so his sister couldn't hear.

"I know," Nick said with a weak smile. "Thanks Uncle Ron."

Ron watched him follow his parents out. "I want to kill my sister." he said to Luna.

"Stand in line," Luna said, holding Maddie who thankfully had fallen asleep.

Ron brushed a tearstain from his daughter's cheek. "Let's go sit down," he muttered.

Luna nodded and patted her daughter's back soothingly as they walked to the corner of the ballroom.

"You okay Jules?" Hermione asked her daughter, who was still staring after where Nick had disappeared.

Julie shook her head and hugged her mother. "I just don't understand why they're like that, Mum."

"None of us do sweetheart," Hermione replied. "I imagine you're going to be a bit of a strong shoulder for Nick until we leave here."

"How did you do it?" Julie asked Hermione. "When you and dad were sneaking around? Did you ever worry that it wouldn't work out and that Grandpa would never accept you and Dad?"

Hermione looked pensive. "I guess I always figured in the back of my mind, once we left here, I would make my father see what Harry was truly like. I knew he wasn't the horrible person Vernon made him out to be and I was determined to make your grandfather see this as well."

"Something tells me it won't be that way with Nick's parents," Julie said sadly.

"Probably not," Hermione kissed the side of her daughter's head. "But at least you don't have to prove to your father and me that Nick's a good guy."

Julie smiled. "At least we have you on our side."

"If it isn't the two most beautiful women in the room," Harry said, putting his arm around both of them.

"Dad you're biased," Julie smiled at him.

"Even if I didn't know you, I'd think that," Harry said, winking at her.

"Thanks," Julie pecked him on the cheek.

"Mum?" Ethan said, yawning as he came back up to join them. "Can we go now? I'm bored."

"Sweetheart I was hoping you'd dance with your Mum," Hermione teased her son.

"You're kidding, right?" Ethan asked her.

"You look just like Dad when you say that," Julie laughed.

"Duh," Ethan said, rolling his eyes. "I'm a chip off the old block."

"Old being the operative word," Julie teased, elbowing her father.

"Hey!" Harry pretended to be offended. "I am not old!"

"Sensitive about our age, aren't we?" Julie asked.

Hermione laughed at her husband. "Forty is still young with our kind," she replied.

"She's only saying that because she's the same age as Dad," Julie said to Ethan.

It was Hermione's turn to huff.

"Come on," Ethan said, tugging at the hem of his mother's dress. "I'm ready to go back to the cabin."

"Are you sure you won't dance with me sweetheart?" Hermione smiled at her son.

Ethan looked up at her. "If you really want me to...."

"Of course she does," Harry answered. "Jules you can dance with your old man."

"Let's see if you can keep up then," Julie laughed following her family back onto the dance floor.

*** *** ***

When they'd gotten back to the cabin, Draco and Ginny were far too involved with digging their tongues into each other's mouths to pay attention to their son, so Nick had taken the opportunity to sneak onto the phone to ring Greta back in Australia. He listened to it ring and hoped she wasn't out and about.

"Hello?" Greta's familiar voice came across the line.

"Greta," Nick smiled. "It's me."

"Nick!" Greta exclaimed with a laugh. "I'd thought you'd forgotten about me. You haven't rung since you've been gone."

"I've been busy," he sat back on the sofa. "I got to meet my family- I have loads of cousins."

"You mean to tell me your mum allowed that?" Greta asked in surprise.

"No," Nick sighed. "She's been a right pain in the arse about it. My dad's been even more awful."

"He was pretty horrible after you and your mum left," Greta related to him. "He'd come home from work and hole up in his study, drinking."

"Yeah well my mum's been drinking, and then they were fighting once he got here, and now they can barely stay apart from each other." Nick said.

"They've always been that way," Greta said with a sigh. "One minute they can't stand the sight of each other and the next minute they're inseparable. You doing okay, Nick? You sound a little sad."

"I'm okay," he twisted the phone cord in his fingers. "It just hasn't been easy having my parents here. You know they normally don't even acknowledge me but here it's like they won't let me out of their sight."

"Your dad is still trying to get you to be a healer, isn't he?" Greta asked. "He brought home some pamphlets from some universities for you. Told me that when you got back I was to give them to you and steer you in the right direction, of course."

"And I'm sure you burned them," Nick smiled.

"I might have deliberately misplaced them," Greta admitted with a laugh. "But you didn't hear that from me, okay?"

"Of course not," Nick laughed. "So um... there's something else I wanted to tell you about."

"Okay," Greta said. "What's on your mind, Nick?"

"Well..." Nick twisted the phone cord some more. "I met somebody..."

"Did you now?" Greta asked.

"Yeah," he grinned. "You won't believe who her parents are."

"Nothing with you is ever easy, my boy," Greta teased. "Who are her parents?"

"Harry and Hermione Potter," Nick said.

"You're kidding!" Greta exclaimed.

"Yeah, her name is Julie." Nick replied. "We had a bit of a rocky start... but now it feels like we've been together for a long time."

"Your parents don't know, do they?" Greta asked. "I imagine your mother would be ballistic if she knew."

"She knew when it happened at first," Nick replied. "But we're having to keep it a secret right now. Her parents like me though. They're really nice. Not at all how my parents described them."

"Well, I for one, am very happy for you," Greta said sincerely. "And I can't wait to meet this girl."

"I think you'll really like her," Nick smiled as he thought about his girlfriend. "It's a good feeling, to be in love."

"If she can make you sound this happy, I'm sure we'll get along just fine," Greta said. "What about everything else? You met your family? What are they like?"

"They're really fantastic." Nick said. "My cousin Maddie is adorable- and my uncle Ron- he has two sets of twins! And I have a sister too."

"Two sets of twins?" Greta asked. "I had my hands full with just one of you. I can't imagine two sets of twins."

"That's what I said," Nick laughed. "They're all really good kids though."

"I'm really happy for you, Nick," Greta said. She'd always wished that Mrs. Malfoy at least would let her son meet his family, but she'd never once relented.

"Thanks Greta." Nick decided to wait on telling her about his impending move to London until he got back. "I can't wait for them to meet you. I've been giving them all quite an earful about my nanny."

"Nothing too bad, I hope," Greta teased.

"Of course not," Nick said. He heard a thump in his parents' room and sat up. "I have to let you go Greta, but I'll see you in a few days."

"I promise I'll have your favourite chocolate biscuits when you get back," Greta said. "Take care, Nick. Okay?"

"I will," Nick said. "Bye Greta."

As Nick hang up the phone, his mother came out of her bedroom wearing her dressing gown. She stumbled into the sitting room. "Nicholas, what on earth are you doing sitting out here in the dark?"

"What do you care?" he snapped irritably.

"You could have stood up for your father tonight," Ginny lectured. "He needed your support. Those people were really awful and nasty to us."

"You two don't need any support from me," Nick replied coolly. "The family I've met while here care more about me than either one of you."

"Blah, blah, blah," Ginny said rolling her eyes. She poured some wine into two glasses. "I'm so tired of hearing this poor me act of yours, Nicholas. You are a member of one of the most prestigious families. You went to the best school. We bought you everything you could ever need. You could show a little gratitude."

"For what?" Nick stared at her. "For leaving me with Greta all my life? That's the best thing you ever did for me."

"She's not your mother, Nicholas," Ginny reminded him. "I am."

"By birthright only," Nick said.

Ginny frowned. "Whatever. I should get back to your father anyway."

"Right," Nick glared at her. "Because he's the only one that matters to you. I hate you both."

"You don't mean that," Ginny said, trying not to let on how his words hurt her. Nick couldn't hate them, she told herself. They were his parents.

"I do too," Nick crossed his arms. "When I was younger all I wanted was your approval. I wanted you and Dad to look at me and smile, and be proud. As I got older those things didn't matter so much anymore. And now you're trying to keep me away from people that actually give a damn about me."

Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but Draco's muffled voice filled the room.

"Red?" he called out to her. "Get your sweet little arse back in here!"

Ginny smiled. "Be right there!"

"Look, Nicholas," Ginny said. "We'll talk about this more in the morning, okay?"

"Whatever," Nick muttered. "If I'm even here."

Ginny opened the bedroom door and squealed with delight forgetting all about Nick's hurtful words as she allowed Draco to lead her back to bed.