Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Thanks to everyone for reading. We realize that keeping all these new characters straight is a little confusing---trust us we know. We had to set up a cheat seat for ourselves. If you read some of the review responses we did for Chapter 6 you can get your own little "cheat sheet". Keep reading and we're sorry for the Nick-less chapter last time. But he's back in this one. Hope you enjoy!

Uninvited - Alanis Morissette

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before
But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate.

Lavender hummed to herself as she walked down by the lake. The moon was exceptionally bright that evening and she decided to take her sketchpad down outside and catch some fresh air while she worked.

Dropping into one of the lounge chairs, she propped her legs up and sketched furiously for several minutes. The sound of approaching laughter made her sit up and hold her book close so no one could see it.

Summer smiled mischievously at Seamus as they finally made it to the lake. It had been his idea for a moonlight swim and she'd jumped at the chance.

"Are you sure you don't want to skinny dip?" she asked, flirtatiously.

"If it was later I'd say yes," he grinned. "But it's kind of early; there still might be kids about."

"Spoil sport," Summer said, throwing her t-shirt on the grass.

"You won't be saying that later," Seamus eyed her lithe body in the tiny bikini.

Lavender's mouth fell open and she wished she could somehow make herself disappear. She was just grateful that neither Seamus nor Summer could see her.

Seamus dove in first, laughing as Summer toed the water line. "Come on," he called. "It's not cold!"

Summer walked further in and promptly squealed.

"SHAMY!" she said, splashing him. "It is too cold!"

"I'll warm you up then," Seamus pulled her close.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Shamy," she said to herself. "What a ridiculous nickname."

Summer giggled as Seamus kissed her neck. Knowing she wouldn't be able to watch anymore of this, Lavender quietly stood up and started to walk away.

"Shamy?" Summer whispered. "Someone was watching us. Look, right there!"

Seamus turned around. "Who's there?" he called out.

Lavender froze. She thought briefly about making a run for it, but if she did, the lights from the boathouse would give her away. Slowly, she turned around.

"Lavender?" Seamus asked. "What are you doing down here?"

With a shaking hand, she held up her sketchbook. "I was working on some designs. Um, Harry and Hermione took Ethan into town and I thought I might be inspired down here by the lake."

"Oh," Seamus pulled Summer down in the water as if they HAD been caught skinny dipping. "Well... sorry we startled you."

"No, it's okay," Lavender said uncomfortably. "I'll let you get back to your...whatever it was you were doing."

Seamus opened his mouth to tell her she didn't have to leave but shut it as she turned and walked away. He couldn't help but let his eyes rest on her curvy figure and moonlit blonde hair and Summer cleared her throat. "Sorry about that," he said sheepishly.

Summer nodded. "It's okay...did you and that girl used to date or something?"

Seamus frowned. "Something like that," he muttered.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Summer asked. "I thought something like that was going on."

"It's nothing important," Seamus nearly choked on his words.

"She still likes you," Summer commented.

"What?" Seamus whipped his head around. "No she doesn't. She broke up with me."

Summer shrugged. "A girl can tell when another girl likes her man. And I think she's still quite smitten with you."

Seamus didn't know what to say.

Summer inched closer to him and nibbled on his ear. "Can't say as I blame her, though."

Seamus forced thoughts of Lavender out of his head. Summer was his girlfriend now, and possibly his future. "Am I that irresistible?" he joked.

Summer nodded. "So have you changed your mind about that skinny dip, yet?"

Seamus laughed. "Maybe we can come back out around midnight," he said.

Summer pouted. "Shamy..." she leaned in and gave him a slow kiss.

"It is getting late," Seamus said, grinning at her. "And if we're quiet, I think we may just get away with it."

"Is this how I get my way with you," Summer wrapped her legs around his waist. "Pout?"

"That and what you were just doing to my ear can be quite convincing," he said huskily.

Lavender practically ran back to the cabin, her sketchbook tightly clutched in her hand. She hated Seamus! How could he go around with that little teenage tart on his arm when she was walking around the resort as well?

Hermione looked up in surprise as her cousin stormed back into the cabin. "Shhhh," she said, putting her finger to her mouth. "Harry's trying to get Ethan to sleep, Lav."

Lavender huffed and threw her sketchbook down. "I hate Seamus Finnigan!" she shouted in a whisper. "Why did he have to come Hermione?"

"Slow down, Lav," Hermione said, motioning for Lavender to sit down beside her. "What happened?"

"Do you know what's he's doing right now?" Lavender asked furiously. "He's down in the lake, skinny-dipping with that... that... that child!"

"How do you know that?" Hermione asked. "Lavender, please tell me you haven't been following them around!"

"Hermione Jane!" Lavender turned angry eyes on her cousin. "I have better things to do with my time! I was down there FIRST!"

"Okay, okay," Hermione said, smiling sympathetically at her cousin. "Lavender, they are dating, after all. I mean, what did you expect that the two of them do in their spare time? Play cards?"

Lavender pouted. "I don't want to think about that," she snapped. "But does he have to go and flaunt her in front of me all the time?"

"He didn't know you were down there, did he?" Hermione asked. "Come on, Lavender. He's not doing any of this on purpose and you know it. Now, I know you don't want to hear this, but why do you care about whether or not he's skinny-dipping in the lake with this girl? If he truly meant nothing to you, you wouldn't care at all."

Lavender stared open-mouthed at her cousin.

"I think you should talk to him," Hermione said.

"I don't want to talk to him," Lavender replied. "I don't have anything to say to him."

"I think you do," Hermione countered. "If anything, it will give you some closure."

"I hate it when you're right," Lavender stared at the floor

"I know you do," Hermione said, giving her cousin a hug. "I'm on your side, Lavender. I just want you to be happy."

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender hugged her back.

Harry came out of Ethan's room and smiled at the two women. "The little man is finally down for the count."

"How many of his new toys did he take to bed with him?" Hermione asked.

"Seven," Harry replied. "And he had me read two stories to him in that book you bought him. But, as he reminded me, I don't do the voices as well as you do."

Hermione laughed. "He is completely spoiled rotten," she said.

Lavender nodded. "But he's a sweet kid."

"Aye, he is," Harry sat next to his wife. "What are you two talking about?"

"Old times," Lavender said, frowning. "And young tarts who try and skinny dip with men right out in the open as if no one could walk by at any moment."

Harry looked at her in confusion. "Are you jealous over Seamus and his girlfriend?"

Lavender turned and glared at him. From behind her back, Hermione nodded at Harry.

"Why don't you just talk to him?" Harry said.

"That's what Hermione said," Lavender said with a sigh.

"Great minds think alike," Hermione rested her hand on his thigh.

"Okay, okay," Lavender said. "I'll talk to him. If I can pry him away from that...girl."

"Maybe you two will be friends by the end of holiday," Harry said.

"Don't count on it," Lavender got up. "I'm going to bed early."

"Good night, Lavender," Harry and Hermione chorused.

"Good night rabbits," Lavender rolled her eyes.

*** *** ***

Chiaki was in a very, very good mood. Her fiancé had surprised her after dinner by showing up at the resort (with the help of Julie) and after deafening half the people around them with her excited screaming, she, Toshio and Julie were currently sitting near the bar in the employee club.

Nick knew they'd be in the club, as he'd seen them heading up that way a little while ago. He hadn't seen Julie all day but he'd been looking forward to meeting up with her that night, hoping that they could pick up where they'd left off.

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me he was coming!" Chiaki said, raising her voice so Julie could hear over the music.

"What kind of surprise would it have been if you'd known about it beforehand?" Julie asked laughing. "Besides, he swore me to secrecy."

"Ladies," Nick had found them. "How are you both this evening?"

"We're fine," Chiaki giggled as Julie's face turned pink. "Nick! I want you to meet my fiancé! Toshio, love," she pulled on his arm.

"Yes?" Toshio said, smiling adoringly at his fiancée.

"I want you to meet my brother!" she said, nearly falling off the stool. "Oops," she giggled.

"Looks to me like you've had a few too many," Nick began to laugh.

"I'm okay!" Chiaki bubbled. "This is Nick, and this is Toshio..."

"Nice to meet you," Toshio said, shaking Nick's hand. "Forgive her; she had a few drinks to celebrate my arrival."

"Congratulations," Nick replied. "Have you two set a date yet?"

"Tomorrow," Chiaki said dramatically, making them all laugh.

"Next year," Toshio said, putting an arm around Chiaki to steady her.

"That's great," Nick nodded. He looked at Julie. "How are you tonight?" he asked.

"I'm okay," she said smiling at him. Chiaki leaned forward and bumped into Julie causing her to stumble forward and Nick caught her.

"Sorry, Jules!" Chiaki said, giggling.

Nick didn't want to help her back up- he liked the way holding her felt. "Good going Chiaki." he teased.

"I think I may just take her outside for some fresh air," Toshio said, helping Chiaki to her feet. "We'll catch up with you later."

Julie wanted to protest and tell them not to leave her alone with Nick, but Toshio was already manoeuvring through the crowd with a giggling Chiaki in tow.

Nick watched them go. "Wow how many did she have?" he asked, taking the seat Chiaki had been occupying.

"She was working on her seventh when you showed up," Julie answered with a nervous laugh.

"Shite," Nick said. "Can I buy you a drink?" he asked.

She shook her head. "You don't have to."

"I'd like to," Nick replied.

"Okay," she said. "I'll have another soda then."

"Sure you don't want something with a kick to it?" Nick asked for a pint of bitter.

"Trying to get me pissed, Mr. Malfoy?" she asked.

"Maybe," he grinned devilishly at her.

"Soda is fine," she said, grinning back at him.

"All right," Nick asked for a soda for her. "So..." he realised he didn't know what to say.

"So, what did you do today?" Julie asked conversationally.

"Just hung around, avoided my mother as much as possible," Nick shrugged.

"I saw her sunbathing down by the lake," Julie admitted.

"Yeah and that's why I wasn't at the lake," Nick smiled at her and moved closer as the crowd around them swelled.

"I've been at the lake quite a bit," she said. "With my brother."

"Oh really?" he asked. "Ethan likes to swim does he?"

Julie shook her head. "No, not really. He's bloody terrified of water."

"Why?" Nick asked, moving even closer as he was jostled.

Julie shrugged. "I'm not really sure. It's sort of crazy, because he loves to fly. The higher, the better. But, he's terrified of the water. I think he's afraid some creature or something is going to bite him. Anyway, he didn't want my dad to know he was scared, so I agreed to help teach him how to swim."

"Well if you ever need some help let me know," Nick finally gave up his seat. "I'd be glad to help you teach him."

"Yes, but then you'd have to go to the lake where your mother is," Julie teased. "I thought you wanted to avoid her at all costs?"

"Well what time do you go?" Nick asked. "She normally doesn't head there until early afternoon."

"Usually in the mornings," Julie said. "But really you don't have to. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than help me out."

"I don't have anything else to do," Nick answered.

"That'd be great," Julie said, surprising herself because she actually meant that. "Thank you."

"Really?" Nick grinned at her. "You really want me to help?"

"Sure," Julie said, smiling back at him. "I'd like that."

"What time in the morning should I be there?" Nick asked.

"Um, we usually get started around ten," Julie said, wondering if he would actually show up. "I know that's a bit early for you since you're a musician and all."

"I'm sure I can make it," Nick replied. "So um... do you perhaps want to dance or something?"

Julie shook her head. "No, that's okay. I'm fine here."

"Come on," Nick said. "It looks like fun."

"No," Julie said, turning pink. "I'm okay. Besides, it's really crowded out there."

"But that's part of the fun," Nick didn't want to give up. "Come on, one dance."

"No, thanks," Julie said firmly. "But if you'd like to, go right ahead."

"I can't dance by myself," Nick reached for her hand. "Besides, if you're Chiaki's best friend I'm sure she's shown you a move or two."

"No, really, Nick," Julie said, shaking her head. "I'm really okay." She didn't want to tell him that the real reason she didn't want to dance was because she was afraid of what might happen if they were dancing close. Besides, she fully believed that Nick Malfoy wasn't looking for a commitment with anyone. She wasn't going to set herself up to fall for someone who wouldn't be around for the long run.

"All right," Nick decided to try another tactic. "I guess I was wrong and you don't know how to dance after all."

Julie glared at him. "I CAN DANCE! I could probably dance circles around you!"

Nick shrugged. "I don't know," he had to bite his lower lip to keep from grinning.

Julie grabbed his hand and led him onto the dance floor, grumbling the entire way. "Can't dance! The nerve! I can too dance..."

Nick laughed. "Let's show off how good we are," he pulled her close.

Julie felt her breath catch in her throat. "W-what?" she asked weakly.

"Don't be shy Julie," Nick tipped her chin up with his fingers.

"I'm not being shy," she whispered, nearly losing herself in his grey eyes.

"Good," Nick said, winding her arms around his neck.

"We're not dancing," Julie pointed out.

"You have to move first," Nick grinned at her.

"Oh, yeah, right," Julie said, blushing. She started to dance and was grateful that it was a song that she knew and liked. She'd even danced to it in a club back home. "You're not that bad," she said, smiling shyly at him.

"Neither are you," Nick said. "I've had some practise- the agent for our band insists we have to know how to dance."

"I'm sure you get loads of practise at the clubs in Sydney," Julie said.

"Sometimes," Nick said. "I'm not really much of a clubber. It's no fun unless you have someone you want to go with." he noticed suddenly that people were gathered around watching them so he decided to put on a little show. He dipped Julie back dramatically before swinging them both around.

Julie didn't know what he was doing, but she was aware that all eyes in the club seemed to be on them. She felt a little uncomfortable in the spotlight, but she was having fun with Nick, so she decided to go with it.

He noticed her loosen up and took advantage of it. Pulling her close, he ground his body against hers.

Chiaki, who had just come back in with Toshio, watched with her jaw dropped. "I can't believe that's Julie!" she gasped.

The music came to an end and the crowd applauded heartily for them. Julie cheeks were beet red and she turned around to thank Nick for the dance. She didn't have the opportunity to do so as Nick pulled her close and promptly kissed her. This only delighted the crowd even more and they hooted and hollered.

Nick wasn't sure what had overcome him when he kissed her but it felt amazing to have her lips on his. Her arms came up and her hands rested on his shoulders as he kept his mouth pressed to hers.

He pulled away from her a few moments later and Julie stared at him in disbelief. She gave a slight smile as the music started back up again and she took Nick's hand to lead him out of the club. She heard Chiaki call out to her, but she ignored her friend.

When she and Nick were outside, she slapped him square on the cheek as hard as she could.

"Ouch!" he said. "What was that for?" he asked, confused.

"YOU KISSED ME!" she exclaimed.

"I know that!" Nick pressed his palm to his cheek. "I didn't realise that would warrant you slapping me!"

"Why did you do that?" she asked. "No, don't answer. You were putting on a little show for their benefit, right? You like to have a crowd cheering you on, Nick? Well, go back inside because no one out here is going to cheer you on. I never want to see you again!"

"Julie!" Nick said. "I kissed you because I wanted to!"

"And what you want, you always get, right?" Julie asked coldly. "You're as bad as I thought you were!" She felt tears welling up in her eyes so she turned around and ran as fast as she could back to her cabin.

Nick knew she was angry but he didn't understand why. "Julie," he followed her. "I'm not letting you go like this!"

"Leave me alone!" Julie called back to him.

"No!" he caught her arm as she was about to go up the stairs. "Why are you so afraid?" Nick asked. "You act as if you've never been kissed before!"

"I'm not afraid!" she said, turning around to face him. "And for your information, Nick Malfoy, I have been kissed before. And I know this may come as a shock, but not every girl wants to be kissed by you! Please, just leave me alone!"

He tried to grab her arm again but she was already inside. Cursing at himself, he kicked the dirt on the path as he stomped back to his own cabin. He'd be at the lake when she arrived the next morning, whether she wanted him there or not.

*** *** ***

Neville and Cho were sitting on the sofa in their cabin, cuddling close and watching a movie. Allison and Frankie had gone to sleep long ago and Cho was well on her way to joining them. The movie wasn't very good, but she was determined to stay awake long enough to finish it.

"This is really horrible," she whispered to Neville.

"I know," Neville replied quietly. "Wish Seamus was here so he could tell us why it's so bad."

"For one thing, the acting is atrocious," Cho pointed out. "And for another, the plot is stupid."

Neville yawned. "I think this is a lost cause," he said.

Cho nodded and turned off the television. "There! We're officially out of our misery."

"Thank Merlin," Neville replied. "I can think of another thing I'd like to do before we go to bed."

"Oh really?" she asked, leaning against him. "What did you have in mind?"

Neville pulled her over so she was on his lap. "Something like this," he brought her mouth down to his.

"I like the way your mind works," she said, giggling.

"Me too," Neville laughed.

"I still can't believe it was Julie!" Chiaki was saying as she opened the cabin door.

Neville and Cho jumped apart so fast they may very well have been electrically shocked. "Hi sweetheart," Cho pushed her hair out of her eyes.

"Mum!" Chiaki said, stifling a laugh. "Are we interrupting anything?"

"No," Cho turned pink. "Hello Toshio," she greeted her daughter's fiancé.

"Mrs. Longbottom, Mr. Longbottom," Toshio said warmly. He, too, was trying not to laugh. "I hope you don't mind. I came up to surprise Chiaki."

"How sweet of you," Cho finally got up and hugged both of them. "Your father and I were just watching a rather awful movie. We were fixing to go to bed."

"I'll say," Chiaki couldn't help saying.

Neville was red-faced as well as he shook Toshio's hand. "What were you saying about Julie?" he asked trying to change the subject.

"Dad! You won't believe it! Julie and Nick kissed! And danced!" Chiaki gushed.

"Sweetheart?" Neville asked. "Have you been drinking?"

"A little," Chiaki said.

"She'll be all right," Toshio replied.

"Julie and Nick kissed, eh?" Neville asked. "I wonder how Ginny would feel if she knew about that."

Cho snorted. "She'd probably arrange to have him hung," she muttered.

"Aren't you worried about how Julie's parents would react as well?" Toshio asked. "Didn't you tell me that the Malfoys and the Potters have never gotten along?"

"Well..." Cho said. "Nick's actually left quite a favourable impression on all of us despite who his parents are."

"He seemed okay to me when I met him," Toshio agreed. "Besides, anything would be an improvement over Ryan."

"That goes without saying," Neville said darkly. "Well anyways- your sisters are already asleep so keep the noise down."

"You too," Chiaki teased, laughing.

"Watch it," Cho kissed her daughter goodnight. "We'll see you two in the morning- are you staying Toshio?"

"I can't," Toshio said. "I was only able to get away for the evening, I'm afraid."

"Awww..." Chiaki pouted. "Are you sure I can't convince you to stay?"

"You probably could," Toshio said, smiling at her. "But I really do have to get back."

"You can stay for a little while longer right?" Chiaki asked as her parents bid them both goodnight and went into their bedroom.

"A few more minutes," he said, pulling her close. "I have to work tomorrow. You know that."

"I know," Chiaki kissed him. "But I just miss you."

"You won't be here too much longer," he said, kissing her. "You'll be home before you know it."

"Maybe you can come again," Chiaki said.

"I will," he promised.

"I already can't wait," she hugged him tightly.

"Now, how about we make the most of our time?" he asked, grinning at her.

"Sounds good to me," she laughed as he brought her over to the sofa.

"I have missed you," he said softly.

"When I get back we'll have to dive into those wedding plans," she said. "I can't wait to get married."

"Are you okay with waiting a year?" he asked.

"Of course," Chiaki said, touching his cheek. "Gives me time to plan an insanely large, beautiful wedding."

"Insanely large?" he asked.

"Yes," Chiaki laughed. "Very insanely large."

"Are we talking twenty bridesmaids and groomsmen?" he asked. "And thousands of guests?"

Chiaki laughed. "Don't tell me you have stage fright Toshio Hanari. Not after the way you can get up and dance onstage."

"Not stage fright," Toshio said. "I was thinking of your parents having to pay for all that, that's all."

"They want to do it," Chiaki snuggled against him. "Mum wants me to have a big wedding since she and Dad had such a small one."

"I see," Toshio kissed her again. "I think I'd better get going. My portkey activates in a few minutes."

"What if I make you miss it?" Chiaki asked mischievously.

"Then I'll get in trouble with our company manager for not being back tomorrow morning," Toshio teased. "And then I might not be able to come back again."

"All right," she got up off him. "I'll miss you again."

"I'll miss you too," he touched her cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too," Chiaki gave him another kiss.

*** *** ***

Julie yawned as she led Ethan down to the lake. She had slept horribly the previous night and she blamed it fully on Nick and his lousy attitude. Why did he have to go and just kiss her like that? Just when they were making headway... she sighed. "Let's make this a short one today little man," she said. "I didn't sleep well."

"Okay," Ethan said, smiling. He didn't mind cutting the lessons short at all. "Do you think I'm getting any better, Jules?"

"I do," Julie nodded. "Dad's not going to know what hit him when you two get in the water."

"Do you think Dad's afraid of anything?" Ethan asked thoughtfully.

"Probably," Julie replied.

"Mum said he was afraid of Great-Grandpa Brown," Ethan said.

Julie laughed. "I think everyone was afraid of him." she remembered her cantankerous old grandfather with a smile.

Julie and Ethan turned the corner and Ethan felt an uneasy feeling in his stomach as he did every time he saw the lake. Thankfully, there weren't too many people out and about this early.

"Oh no," Julie moaned. Nick was sitting on one of the lounge chairs, towel next to him.

"What is it?" Ethan asked, looking up at his sister.

"Nothing," Julie had half a mind to cancel the lesson but Nick looked up and saw them at that moment.

"Good morning," Nick said brightly, leaning down and rustling Ethan's hair. "How are we doing this morning little man?"

"I'm good!" Ethan said. "Are you going to help me swim?"

"No he's not," Julie answered for him. "You aren't welcome here Nicholas." her voice was cold.

"You asked me to help out," Nick pointed out to her. "I thought you were going to stand me up which is why I made it a point to get here a little early."

Julie closed her eyes briefly. "I can handle this on my own," she replied tightly.

He knew that what he was about to do was a low move, but he was desperate. He knelt down and grinned at Ethan.

"Ethan wants me to help him, don't you little man?" Nick asked, beaming at the little boy.

"Yes!" Ethan said excitedly.

"See," Nick said, staring up at Julie. "That's two against one. We win."

Julie was so angry that her eyes darkened dangerously. "You are a sneaky underhanded bastard," she whispered furiously as Ethan went to dip his toes in the water. "And don't you dare think this is going to help win me over. You ruined any chance you had with me last night!"

"So you admit that I had a chance then?" he asked cheekily.

"Ugh!" Julie threw her hands up in exasperation.

"Don't worry about Julie," Ethan said to Nick. "She didn't sleep well last night. She's always angry when she doesn't get enough sleep."

Nick grinned at the both of them. "So what have you been practising so far?" he asked.

"Treading water," Ethan answered when Julie wouldn't. "And floating on my back."

"I'll bet we can get you underwater," Nick said.

"It'd be nice if you didn't push him," Julie snapped.

"I wasn't pushing him," Nick said. "But most of swimming is done underwater, isn't it?"

"It doesn't have to be," Julie said through clenched teeth.

"Okay," Nick said calmly. "You're the teacher, after all. Whatever you want to do is fine by me."

"Thank you," Julie replied. "And I'd like you to stay out of our way."

Normally, if a girl treated him like this, Nick would just call it a day and cut his losses. For some reason, with this girl, he wasn't willing to give up so easily. "Fine," Nick said. "How about I just sit and watch then?"

"And don't say a bloody word. And if you'd like to leave, I won't stop you." Julie turned away and began to pull off her shorts.

"You look really nice in a bathing suit," Nick said admiringly. She was wearing that deep blue bikini he'd seen her in before. "Very, very nice."

"Don't check me out!" Julie nearly shouted.

"Perhaps you should have stopped by the restaurant to get a caffeine fix before you came down here," Nick suggested with a sly smile.

Julie stared at him coldly, wishing she still wasn't so bloody attracted to him. "Will you please go away?" she asked.

"No," Nick said grinning at her. "Because that's not what you want and we both know it."

Julie huffed and turned around. "Come on Ethan."

Ethan nodded and followed his sister into the water.

"You sound as scary as Mum when you're angry," Ethan commented.

"Well he makes me angry," Julie replied, stealing a glance at Nick. He'd removed his shirt and was sitting back on the lounge. "Smarmy git."

"If you want, I could kick him for you," Ethan said helpfully. He liked Nick, but if his sister didn't, he figured there was a good reason for it.

Julie finally smiled. "Thanks Ethan, but I think I can handle it."

"Okay," Ethan said, nodding.

Nick watched through lidded eyes as Julie instructed her brother patiently in the water. He still couldn't figure out why she'd reacted the way she had last night when he kissed her.

Nearly a half-hour later, Julie and Ethan emerged from the water. Julie bent down for her towel, but was upset to see that it wasn't where she'd left it.

"Looking for this?" Nick said, handing her the towel.

Julie snatched it away, wrapping it around herself without a word.

"How do you think I did, Nick?" Ethan asked. "Did you watch?"

"I did watch," Nick said smiling at him. "And you did great little man. You've got a great teacher."

"Yup I do!" Ethan nodded excitedly.

"So what do the two of you have planned for the rest of the day?" Nick asked.

"We're busy," Julie said.

"No, we're not," Ethan said. "Julie has to watch me because Mummy and Daddy were going to some other resort...what was it called again?"

Julie turned red. "Ethan we have to go." she said.

"Julie," Nick said, as she began putting her shorts and t-shirt back on over her suit. "Look, I just want to talk to you. Please? Five minutes is all I ask."

"Ethan can't walk back by himself," Julie said.

Nick pulled some money from his pocket and handed it to Ethan. "Hey, Ethan?" Nick asked. "Why don't you go and get yourself a soda and a snack for doing so well today?"

Julie stared open-mouthed as her brother eagerly grabbed the money and took off. "I can't believe you just did that!" she said.

"He did a great job today," Nick said. "And it gives you and me a chance to talk. I would have given it to him anyway, Julie. Believe it or not, I like your brother. He's a sweet kid."

"Yes he is," Julie said. "Too bad I can't say the same about you."

Nick groaned in frustration. "Julie Potter, what on earth did I do to you that was so wrong?"

"You kissed me!" Julie hissed. "Without even bothering to ask me! You just thought because I danced with you that meant you could take me and just snog me in front of a crowd to prove something to yourself."

"If I'd have asked you beforehand, it would have ruined the spontaneity of the whole thing," Nick said. "If I overstepped my bounds, I'm sorry. I really am, Julie."

"It's too late," Julie sat down on the chair. "You can't take it back just by being all... charming now."

He smiled and sat down beside her. "We started over before once. Maybe we could do it again?"

Julie shook her head. "We can't this time. I can't trust you."

"You don't even know me, Julie," Nick argued. "And you think you can't trust me because I made a mistake by kissing you in front of a crowd of people? I don't understand."

"You wouldn't understand," Julie replied, trying to ignore the fact that he was inching closer to her on the lounge. "And I'm not going to explain myself to you."

"Someone hurt you, didn't they?" he asked gently. "That's why you're so scared, isn't it?"

"It's none of your business!" Julie snapped.

"I don't know what I have to do to you to prove that I'm not like my parents and I'm not like this bloke who broke your heart," he said. "You want honesty, Julie? How's this? I like you. I like you more than anyone I've met in a long time. I think we'd be good for each other."

Julie couldn't breathe as he put his hand on her shoulder. She stared straight ahead and willed her tears to stay away.

"What did he do, Julie?" Nick asked again.

"Nick... stop it please..." she said quietly. "I don't want to talk about my past relationships with you."

"Okay," he said, dropping his hand from her shoulder. "But, if you do want to talk about it, I'll listen."

Julie didn't respond as he moved even closer to her. Their faces were so close and Nick tried not to smile as he saw her close her eyes and lean towards him.

"Julie," Ethan said, coming back over to join them. "I had enough money to buy you a candy bar, too."

Julie jumped back from Nick. "Thanks little man," she forced a smile onto her face.

"Thanks, Nick," Ethan said happily.

"You're welcome, Ethan," Nick said, getting to his feet.

Julie grabbed her bag. "We have to go," she didn't look at Nick.

"Bye, Nick!" Ethan called to him, over his shoulder.

Nick watched them go. He still had quite a ways to go with her, but he knew he was making progress.