Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: In this chapter, you get to know Lizzy a bit better (as does Josh). You will also see Julie trying to deal with her heartbreak and a nice Seamus/Lavender scene too (we know you've all been wanting one of those)! The Harry/Nick talk doesn't take place in this chapter, but it it forthcoming. As always, we ask that you let us know what you think.

Insensitive - Jann Arden

Oh, you probably won't remember me
It's probably ancient history
I'm one of the chosen few
Who went ahead and fell for you
I'm out of vogue, I'm out of touch
I fell too fast, I feel too much
I thought that you might have
Some advice to give on how to be
Insensitive

Julie retreated to her room after she helped her mother clean up the kitchen. She was still thrown for a loop after seeing Nick the previous evening and she wondered what him being in London meant exactly.

Ron knocked on Julie's bedroom door a few minutes later. She'd been quiet at dinner and he was worried about his goddaughter.

She was startled at the sound. "Come in," she called.

Ron opened the door and smiled warmly at her. "Hey, Jules."

She smiled back. "Hi Uncle Ron."

"Mind if I sit down?" Ron asked. When she nodded, he sat down on her window seat. "Harry tells me you ran into Nick last night."

Julie scuffed her feet along the carpet. "Yeah, I did," she said tonelessly.

"That was my fault, actually," Ron admitted. "I sort of told him you were going to be there..."

"What?" Julie looked up properly. "Why?"

"The other day my mum asked me to stop by the Burrow," Ron explained. "I thought she was just going to have some biscuits or something for me, but she wanted me to see Nick. He's been staying with her, Julie."

"Why did he have to come back?" Julie shook her head.

"He told me that his parents threatened to sack his nanny and tarnish her name if he didn't break things off with you," Ron replied. When Julie opened her mouth to protest, Ron held up his hand. "He didn't want to do it, Julie. But this woman raised him since he was a kid. What else was he supposed to do? Anyway, when they returned to Sydney, Malfoy sacked Greta anyway."

"What?" Julie asked in shock.

"They sacked her," Ron repeated. "So, Nick packed everything up and left Australia with Greta. His parents cut him off completely, Julie. He has no money and he had no place to go until he went to the Burrow."

"Oh..." Julie trailed off.

"I imagine that's what he was trying to tell you last night," Ron said gently. "I'm sorry for telling him where you were going to be, Julie. You know I wouldn't hurt you for anything in the world, don't you?"

"I know," Julie said quietly.

"He really does care about you," Ron said.

"He sure has a funny way of showing it," Julie mumbled.

Ron nodded. "I know, Julie. But just...just think about what I said, okay? Why would he have come back here if he didn't?"

When she didn't answer him, Ron figured he'd said enough. The rest was up to her. "I better go and check on the girls before I go to bed. Good night, Julie."

"Good night," Julie said, still quiet. She lay back on her pillow and closed her eyes, thinking about what Ron had just told her.

"I'm sorry," Nick said as they stretched out in their cove together. "I know I've apologised about it before, but I hate that we have to sneak around."

"Nick it's okay," Julie replied. "Really. It's all worth it."

"I'm glad you think so," he said, leaning in to kiss her.

Julie responded to his kiss as she ran her hand around his nape. "Mmm…" she said softly.

"Like that did you?" Nick asked, stroking her cheek.

"I did," Julie said, grinning at him. "And I love you."

"I love you too," Nick said. "You mean a lot to me Jules. You and everyone else."

Julie knew who he meant. "They all like you so much Nick," she moved a bit closer to him. "Me especially."

"I should hope so," Nick squeezed her side a little.

Julie moved over and rested her head on his chest. "How do you think the rest of this holiday will pan out?" she asked. "Do you think we'll make it to the end without your parents finding out about us?"

"I think so," Nick said thoughtfully. "I mean, we've been really careful about meeting up in a hidden place like this one."

"That's true," Julie said as he pulled her hair out of the clip and began stroking the long locks.

They were silent for a few minutes as Nick continued to stroke her hair. "I can't wait though, for you to move to London." Julie said. "I can't wait to introduce you to my grandparents, and for Molly and Arthur to see you. And of course for all my friends to meet you too."

"I can't wait either," Nick said. "We're going to have a great time together."

Julie smiled before pressing her lips to his again. They kissed deeply for a few minutes before Nick tugged her to her feet.

"Where are we going?" Julie asked.

"Nowhere," Nick said, pressing his nose into her hair for a moment. "I just want to dance with you that's all." he grinned.

"There's no music," Julie said with a laugh.

"Are you forgetting, Ms. Potter, that your boyfriend is a musician?" Nick asked lightly. "I happen to be quite a good singer."

"You're going to sing for me?" Julie asked excitedly. "My own private concert with the world famous Nick Malfoy?"

"That's right," Nick said, twirling her around before pulling her close again. "Your own private concert..."

Julie felt as if she was floating on air as they began to move slowly against each other.

He lowered his lips to hers for a moment before turning to sing softly in her ear. "It's a little bit funny this feeling inside… I'm not one of those who can easily hide…I don't have much money but boy if I did…I'd buy a big house where we both could live…If I was a sculptor, but then again, no…Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show…I know it's not much but it's the best I can do…My gift is my song and this one's for you..." he trailed off for a moment.

Julie smiled up at him. "Nick..."

He pressed his lips to hers again and then continued. "And you can tell everybody this is your song…It may be quite simple but now that it's done…I hope you don't mind…I hope you don't mind that I put down in words…How wonderful life is while you're in the world..."

When he finished, Julie kissed him softly. "That was...amazing. No one's ever sung to me and that's....well, that's one of my favourites. It's my parents' song."

"Was it really?" Nick asked, still turning them around in a slow circle.

"It was the first song they danced to as husband and wife," Julie said nodding. She looked up at him again. "Thank you."

"Anything for you," he kissed the tip of her nose. "I like being the first." he teased.

She laughed. "You're terrible..."

"But you love me anyway," Nick replied confidently.

"Just a little," she teased.

"A little?" he asked. "A little?"

"More than a little," she admitted slyly.

"How much more than a little are we talking about here?" Nick asked. "Because, if it's a lot, I might be convinced to sing for you again, even before your party."

"More than I ever dreamed possible?" Julie quickly added. "How's that?"

"That's perfect," Nick leaned in and kissed her again.

Julie looped her arms around his neck and he spun her around. She felt about as happy as she could ever remember feeling in her entire life. It was all because of Nick.

Julie sighed and turned over onto her stomach and tried to hold back the new onslaught of tears. If he had been acting the whole time, it had certainly been convincing.

She closed her eyes. Truth be told, she hadn't slept very well over the past few days. It was all beginning to catch up with her and she finally fell asleep, still thinking of Nick.

"Hey, beautiful," a familiar voice called to her.

"What?" Julie jerked awake. "Who's there?"

"It's me," Nick said coming out of the darkness. He looked as handsome as ever and Julie's heart ached at the sight of him. "I tried to stay away, Jules. But I just couldn't."

She stared at him a moment. "I don't want you here," she said quietly. "And how did you manage to sneak past my father and into my room?"

"I explained everything to him," Nick replied, sitting down on the edge of her bed. "He was angry at first, but I think I won him over. My uncle helped, too. He said he spoke to you."

"He did..." Julie sat up and drew her legs close. "I don't know if I want to forgive you though. You really hurt me."

"I know," Nick said apologetically. "But it won't happen again, Julie. You can trust me."

He inched closer to her. "You want to trust me. I can see it in your eyes."

She looked away. "Don't come any closer Nicholas."

"You don't mean that," Nick said, touching her cheek.

"Please," Julie pulled away. "Don't."

"Don't do what Chiaki wants you to do or your parents," Nick whispered. "This isn't about them, Julie. This is about you and what you want."

Julie looked back at him with tears in her eyes. "I do want you," she whispered. "But I don't know if I can trust you again."

"Kiss me," he said looking into her eyes. "You'll know if you kiss me, Julie."

"I'm scared," she said as he leaned in until they were only an inch apart.

"You don't have to be," he whispered pressing his lips to hers.

Julie couldn't stop herself from kissing him back. She wrapped arms around his neck and pulled him as close as she could.

A woman's laughter filled the room and Julie pulled abruptly away from Nick. She saw his parents standing at the foot of her bed sneering at her.

"Excellent work, Nicholas!" Draco boomed. "You said she'd fall for it and she did."

"What?" Julie looked back and forth between Nick and the Malfoys. "What's going on?"

"We were bored in Sydney," Ginny answered in between fits of laughter. "Nick thought he'd see if you were still hung up on him and he was right!"

Nick laughed. "Did you see her face, Mum? And those tears!"

Julie pushed him away as he began to laugh scornfully. "You bastard," she whispered. "I knew I couldn't trust you."

"What are you going to do about it, Jules?" Nick said haughtily. "Cry?"

Julie shook her head. "I've wasted too many tears on you Nicholas."

"Your parents are downstairs laughing at you, too," Ginny chimed in happily. "They can't believe you fell for it all..."

Julie shook her head. "Get out!" she snapped, pushing them all towards her door.

"Come on, Jules?" Nick said grinning at her. "How about one more go?"

She went to slap him but her hand passed right through his face. "What?" she asked in confusion.

Nick disappeared in front of her as did Ginny and Draco. Their laughter continued though and got louder and louder.

"Julie?" Hermione's voice called out. "Julie? Sweetheart?"

"Leave me alone!" she cried. "I hate you!"

"Julie!" Hermione called out again. "It's Mum. Wake up, sweetheart."

"No!" Julie cried again before her eyes snapped open.

Hermione stepped back and took in her daughter's flushed cheeks. "Julie? Are you okay? We heard you crying out."

Julie breathed in deeply for a minute. "It was all a dream?" she asked.

"Sounded like a bad dream," Hermione said softly brushing back Julie's hair. "I was just checking on your brother when I heard you scream for someone to get out."

"I had a dream about Nick," Julie said quietly. "And he wanted me to forgive him then his parents were there and it was just another trick of his."

Hermione smiled sympathetically at Julie before giving her a hug. "It's okay, Julie. It was just a dream."

"It felt so real though Mum," Julie buried her face in her mother's shoulder.

"I know it did," Hermione said, her voice soothing. "I wish I knew what to do or say to make you feel better."

"I guess there isn't anything," Julie said softly. "I'm just glad you're here right now though."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Hermione said. "You're my sweet girl."

"You're the best mum," Julie replied.

Hermione just smiled and hugged her daughter close, wishing there was some way to take away Julie's pain. "Want me to stay with you until you fall back asleep, love?"

"Will you?" Julie asked.

"Of course," Hermione said propping up some pillows and situating herself comfortably on the bed.

"I feel like I'm Ethan's age," Julie attempted a smile.

Hermione laughed. "Well, you didn't make me check under the bed and in the closet for monsters, did you?"

Julie laughed too. "No... maybe not completely Ethan's age then."

"Don't tell him I told you that," Hermione said. "He'd kill me."

"I won't," Julie snuggled next to her mother.

"I can't believe in a few days my baby is going to be 20 years old," Hermione said, running a hand through Julie's hair.

"In eight months I won't be your baby anymore," Julie said. "I can't wait for this new baby."

"Nor can I," Hermione agreed. "But you will always be my special girl. I can still remember how I felt when they first placed you in my arms. It was the happiest moment in my life."

"Was it?" Julie asked, already feeling better.

Hermione nodded. "I never believed in love at first sight until that moment. You opened up your eyes and you just looked at me and you smiled. It was the most beautiful moment, Julie."

Just thinking about it brought tears to Hermione's eyes.

"I'm glad I've made you and Dad so happy." Julie said softly. "You've been really great parents."

"You have Julie," Hermione said hugging her close. "You've made us both so happy and proud."

"I'll make you guys even more proud when I finally get that teaching job," Julie answered, yawning.

Hermione yawned, too. "You'll get it, Jules."

"I hope so," Julie closed her eyes sleepily and leaned on her mother's shoulder.

"Sleep my girl," Hermione whispered as her own eyes closed.

"Night Mum..." Julie said. "Thanks..."

"Good night," Hermione whispered before drifting off to sleep.

*** *** ***

Jon and Allie shared a menu and exchanged goofy grins with each other as they both fought over what to get on their pizza. Lizzy and Josh sat across from them, each not really sure what to do or say.

"No onions," Allison said decisively.

"Why not?" Jon asked.

Allison looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Think about it..."

"Oh... right," Jon replied. "Bad breath later on."

"Right," Allison said squeezing closer to him. "So let's see what would be some safe choices?"

"Double cheese?" Jon asked, slipping an arm around her.

"If you two were any cuter I'd have a toothache," Lizzy teased.

"Try putting up with it day in and day out and see how you feel," Josh said with a grin.

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Jon shot back good naturedly.

"Just making an observation," Josh said dryly.

Since Josh and Lizzy hadn't exchanged more than a few pleasantries since they'd sat down, Allison decided to step in and help them along.

"So, Josh," Allison said. "Did you know that Lizzy's a prefect?"

Josh nodded. "I know, Allie. I'm one, too."

"Right," Allison said, sinking back under Jon's arm. "Are you both looking forward to it?"

Lizzy nodded. "It's really hard when you have to try and tell someone older than you that they can't do something, but other than that, it's okay."

"Well we only have a year before we're the oldest," Allison shared a grin with her.

"Are you going to the Yule Ball this year?" Jon asked Lizzy conversationally.

"I was hoping to," Lizzy looked meaningfully at a blissfully unaware Josh.

"What about you, Joshie?" Jon asked teasingly.

"What?" Josh asked. "Don't call me Joshie Jonny."

"Joshie?" Lizzy asked laughing.

Josh turned red. "It's just a stupid nickname," he mumbled.

"I think its cute," Lizzy said with a wink.

Josh turned even more red as Jon and Allison both laughed. "Great."

Thankfully, the waitress came up to take their order and after some last minute debates about toppings, they settled on a large double cheese pizza.

"When are you going back to Ireland?" Lizzy asked Josh.

"After Julie's party," Josh replied. "We've been having a good time here though. I wish we didn't have to go home."

"Me too," Jon said with a meaningful look at Allison.

Allison leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the lips. "At least it's only a few weeks after that we go back to school."

"I wish you could go back with us," Jon said softly.

"Me too..." Allison said quietly.

"And here they go," Josh said to Lizzy as his brother and Allison started snogging.

Lizzy giggled. "They're cute..."

Josh rolled his eyes. "It'd be cuter if they stopped snogging every ten minutes."

"Are you okay with it?" Lizzy asked in a hushed tone so Allie and Jon couldn't hear.

"I'm fine with it," Josh replied. "I really am. It's my fault for waiting too long to tell her how I felt. And now I really think she and Jon are a great match."

Lizzy smiled. "And you and Julie?"

"We're just friends," Josh replied simply.

"That's good to hear," Lizzy said boldly. She took a sip of her soda and smiled sideways at him.

"Yeah," Josh said as Jon and Allison finally broke apart. "Welcome back,"

"What?" Allison asked dazedly.

"Nothing," Josh looked at Lizzy and shook his head. "See what I mean?"

"They're not so bad," Lizzy said nudging Josh. "You sure are moody tonight, Joshie."

"I am not," Josh defended himself. "I'm fine!"

"Are you?" she asked, inching closer to him.

"Yes," Josh looked properly at her.

Before Josh knew what she was doing, Lizzy pressed her lips to his. "Didn't want you to feel left out."

"What?" Josh pulled back, his eyes wide.

Lizzy blushed. She usually wasn't so bold, but when he'd looked at her, she'd decided it was now or never. He was never going to make the first move and she decided to go for it.

"Whoa!" Josh said in surprise as Lizzy kissed him again. His eyes closed of their own will.

Allison nudged Jon and they both looked on as Josh returned Lizzy's kiss.

"Well, well..." Allison grinned at Jon.

Josh pulled away breathlessly and stared at Lizzy.

"If I'm not mistaken, you responded there Joshie," Lizzy said, licking her lips.

He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to make of this girl.

"It's okay to talk Josh," Jon teased.

Josh glared at his brother. "Shut it, Jon."

Allison grinned at Lizzy. "Want to use the loo?" she asked.

"Sure," Lizzy said pushing back from her chair.

Jon watched his girlfriend lead Lizzy from the room then looked at his brother. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"She...kissed me," Josh answered.

"Aye she did," Jon replied. "How'd you like it?"

"It doesn't matter how I liked it," Josh said avoiding his brother's gaze. "I'm the one who should kiss her. Not the other way around."

"So you're saying you want to kiss her?" Jon asked.

"No!" Josh answered quickly. "Yes. Oh, hell, Jon! I don't know!"

Jon grinned. "Well it's nothing to be ashamed or upset about. Lizzy's a nice girl and she's cute."

"I don't want to get involved with anyone at the moment," Josh said. "In case you've forgotten, I haven't had the best luck lately. Knowing my luck, Lizzy will come back and say she's fallen in love with Ethan and wants to wait until he's 15 or something...why are you laughing at me?"

"Because," Jon said, snorting. "That's ridiculous. You've known Julie was out of your league for quite awhile... and well... we don't need to get into what happened with Allie."

"I'm happy for you two," Josh said sincerely. "I hope you know that."

"I do," Jon nodded. "And I appreciate that too."

"Aside from the excessive snogging," Josh teased. "How are things going with you two?"

"Perfectly fine," Jon said with a smile. "She's an amazing girl. I love her."

Josh coughed on his drink. "Wait a minute. Love?"

"Yeah," it was Jon's turn to blush.

"Really?" Josh asked. "How long have you liked her, Jon? I thought it was just since this summer."

"It started in third year," Jon confessed. "I just started noticing how pretty she was all the time, and I always wanted to ask her to a Hogsmeade weekend but then I always did something to mess up, like when you guys were studying and I would burst in with one of Uncle Fred or Uncle George's jokes."

"I thought you were doing all that to get on my nerves," Josh said shaking his head. "You were an obnoxious jerk, Jon."

"I'm sorry," Jon apologised.

"It's okay," Josh said with a smile. "So all this time you just wanted her to notice you?"

"Yeah," Jon said. "It's a bit stupid now, isn't it?"

"Just a little," Josh said. He laughed. "Do you remember that time you came in the common room with all that silly string? She wanted to kill you!"

Jon laughed. "I remember that. It just spurred me on. She talked to me, and that's all I needed."

"What are you boys talking about?" Allison said as she and Lizzy returned to the table.

"You," Jon said, sliding his arm back around her. "And how I used to try and get you to notice me. Remember the silly string?"

Allison rolled her eyes. "You covered the entire common room with that mess. I couldn't find my potions notes, you prat!"

"Yet you still got a perfect score." Jon returned.

Allison nodded. "Yes, but you needn't have tried so hard to impress me."

"I realise that now," Jon said, grinning at her.

Allison squeezed his hand under the table.

Their pizza arrived and Josh and Lizzy both reached for the same slice at the same time.

"You go ahead," Lizzy said, withdrawing her hand.

"No, you go ahead," Josh said, blushing. "You were reaching for it first."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked.

"Yeah," Josh said, taking the slice and putting it on her plate. "It's all yours," he smiled at her.

"Thanks," Lizzy said smiling at him. "You're quite the gentleman."

"Thanks," Josh said, pulling his own slice from the pie.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Lizzy said softly. She shook her head. "No, I'm not. I just didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"You didn't," Josh said. "I'd uh... I'd like to maybe take a walk with you after this if you want..."

"A walk?" Lizzy asked, pretending to think really hard about his question. "Gee, Josh. I don't know..."

"Well it's okay if you don't want to I'd understand," Josh took a long swallow of his soda to cover up his embarrassment.

"Lighten up, Weasley," Lizzy said grinning broadly at him. "I was only joking. I'd love to take a walk with you."

Josh coughed. "Really?"

"Really, really," Lizzy said nodding. "But you never know, I just may kiss you again."

"Maybe next time I'll be ready for it," Josh said boldly. Jon was right- Lizzy was definitely cute.

*** *** ***

"Daddy," Drew said as she came up behind her father. "Can we please go to the dress shop now? We've been in the Quidditch store for a long time!"

"Don't you want to look at the new racing brooms?" Ron asked. He'd tried every diversionary tactic he knew to keep them away from the dress shop, but he'd run out of ideas.

"No," Drew crossed her arms. "Please Daddy?"

"Merlin, you look just like your mum when you do that," Ron said. "Okay, let's go. Come along, Maddie."

"Okay Daddy," Maddie held her arms up so that her father would pick her up.

Ron laughed as he lifted Maddie into his arms. "You can keep me company while your sisters try on their dress robes, okay?"

"Okay," Maddie replied. They left the Quidditch store, Ron giving the racing brooms in the window a lingering glance.

"Now Mummy said we have to find nice robes," Drew took charge once they were in the shop.

Ron looked around the crowded shop and frowned when he saw he was the only bloke in the entire store.

"Come on Daddy," Darla tugged at his free hand.

Ron allowed Darla to lead him toward the back of the store and the sales person smiled warmly at them. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Ron nodded gratefully. "My daughters need new dress robes."

"Of course," The woman smiled. "What colours do you young ladies like?"

Drew shrugged. "I like blue, but not that light, light blue. I like dark blue."

The woman laughed. "And you?" she asked Darla.

"I like red," Darla said. "Or green."

"Okay," the woman said. "I have some new designs in the back. How about you girls come with me..."

"Daddy I want to go look too!" Maddie said.

Ron shook his head. "You don't need to go look, sweetie. You have dress robes already, remember?"

"But I want to go look," Maddie began squirming.

"Madeline," Ron said gently. "The answer is no..."

"But Daddy I just want to look!" Maddie said.

"I know you do," Ron said, silently deciding that he wasn't going to back down this time. "But if you go, I'll be all alone. Don't you want to keep Daddy company?"

"No," Maddie said. "I want to see some new robes like Drew and Darla."

"No, Maddie," Ron said quietly, but firmly. "This isn't up for discussion. You're just going to slow them down. We don't have much time, okay?"

"But Daddy," Maddie said. "I like the robes they have here."

Ron sighed. If he was grateful for anything, Maddie wasn't the type to throw temper tantrums when she didn't get her way. She was more of a negotiator. She'd try everything she could do get someone to change their mind or come around to her way of thinking. "I know you do. They're very nice. But you have your own perfectly nice, perfectly new set of robes that Nana made for you."

Maddie crossed her arms. "I know but I want two sets. What if something happens to my first set? What if Dolly rips them up?"

Ron grinned. The kid was definitely good. "Maddie, what did we say would happen if Dolly messed up one more thing?"

"That she would go," Maddie kicked her foot out.

"Right," Ron said, sitting down on one of the plush sofas. "And you don't want her to go, do you?"

"No," Maddie shook her head. "I love Dolly, Daddy."

""I know you do," Ron said, pulling her into his lap. "You're going to look so pretty in those robes Nana made for you. They have those pretty flowers on the collar that you like so much, remember? And you even helped Nana when she made them, didn't you?"

"Yes," Maddie replied. "You're right Daddy," she nodded. "I have good dress robes. And I'd rather have Dolly."

Ron smiled and he and Maddie chatted while they waited for Drew and Darla to come back. The sales woman came toward him and she grinned. "The girls are ready for you to see them now."

"Great," Ron picked his youngest daughter back up as Drew and Darla paraded out of the dressing room.

"Wow!" Maddie crowed at her sisters.

"What do you think, Dad?" Darla asked shyly. "That lady said I would look good in this colour, but I'm not so sure..."

"You both look gorgeous," Ron said proudly. "I can't believe I have three beautiful daughters."

Darla and Drew beamed at him. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Ron said. "Are these the robes you two want?"

Darla and Drew exchanged a look before nodding.

"See, Daddy," Darla said giving him a hug. "Shopping isn't so bad, is it?"

"Not at all," Ron replied, grinning at them.

Drew and Darla both went back into the dressing room to change out of the robes.

"They looked really pretty, didn't they Daddy?" Maddie asked.

"Yes they did," Ron said, gazing after them.

"Do they make dress robes for Cornish pixies?" Maddie asked innocently. "Dolly's going to be the only one without them."

Ron laughed. "Why don't we ask when they come back out?"

"She'd look really good in red, I think," Maddie said thoughtfully. "Because she's blue."

"You've got a good eye for colour Madeline," Ron said, kissing her cheek.

Maddie smiled and gave a little yawn. "I'm sleepy, Daddy."

"Are you?" Ron asked. "I guess that means you'll have to go back to Uncle Harry's while the rest of us go out for ice cream..." he shook his head.

Maddie shook her head and suddenly became very alert. "I can stay awake. I promise."

"Are you sure?" Ron asked mock seriously. "I don't want you to fall asleep in your ice cream sundae."

"I won't fall asleep," Maddie said. "Weasleys never fall asleep when its time to eat."

Ron laughed heartily at that. "You've got it," he hugged her and then got up as Drew and Darla came back out with their new robes in hand.

"All set?" Ron asked them.

"Yes Daddy thank you!" Drew hugged him around the waist as did Darla.

"I should take you lot shopping more often if this is the reaction I get," Ron said, grinning down at them.

"We won't argue with that," Darla shared a look with her twin.

"Who wants to go look at racing brooms after we get ice cream?" Ron suggested.

"I will Daddy," Maddie said happily.

"Can we get a racing broom?" Darla asked hopefully.

Ron laughed. "How about once you two are at Hogwarts," he suggested.

Drew and Darla frowned.

"It was worth a shot," Maddie said consolingly.

Ron laughed. "Aye it was," he said as he paid for the robes and they were wrapped. "All right, I am in the mood for chocolate ice cream. Who else is?"

"You're always in the mood for chocolate ice cream," Drew said linking arms with her dad.

"That I am," Ron replied. "And if my three girls are anything like me then you are too."

Darla and Maddie walked ahead toward the ice cream parlour and Drew looked up at her father.

"Daddy?" she asked hesitantly. "I really like it here, don't you?"

"Here you mean in London?" Ron asked.

She nodded. "All of our family is here and our friends. Why do we have to live so far away?"

"Because of my work, love." Ron answered. "I didn't want to move away to Ireland either away from my friends and family."

"Oh," Drew said taking in what he said. "But couldn't you run one of the shops here instead?"

"Well your Uncle Fred and George run the shops here in England," Ron answered. "They gave me control of all their shops in Ireland."

"I know, but I just miss being around everyone," Drew said looking away. "It's been nice to see Nana and Grandpa. And to be with everyone again everyday."

"I know," Ron replied. "I really miss it too. But right now we have to stay over in Ireland. But I promise we'll come back and visit more often, how does that sound?"

Drew frowned, but nodded. She quickened her pace to catch up with her sisters.

Ron sighed. He knew that moving away was tough on his family but it had been an even tougher decision to take the job in the first place.

As they finally made it into the ice cream parlour, Maddie and Darla placed their orders, but when it came time for Drew to order, she was silent.

"What do you want sweetheart?" Ron asked her.

"I'm not hungry anymore," she said with a shrug.

"You aren't?" Ron asked with concern. "Why not?"

"Just don't feel like it," she said. "I'll just go and wait at the table."

Ron watched his daughter walk away as he paid for the ice cream. "You two bring it over when it's ready okay?" he asked his other two girls. He went back to where Drew was sitting. "All right, want to fill me in?" he asked, sitting next to her.

"I just like it here, Daddy," Drew said quietly.

"I do too love," Ron said. "And I miss being near Nana and Grandpa as well. But you'll understand when you get older about having to make sacrifices for work, and to make money."

Drew nodded, but she didn't really understand. All that she knew at the moment that everything and everyone she cared about was here in London.

Ron put an arm around her. "I wish I could cheer you up love. I miss being here too if that makes you feel any better. If I had the chance to move back I'd do it in a heartbeat."

"I know Dad," Drew said wiping a tear from her cheek. She smiled weakly at him. "I really do like my new robes. Thank you, Daddy."

"Anything for you love," Ron said, pulling her close. "I love you very much Drew."

"Everything okay?" Darla asked as she and Maddie arrived at the table. Darla handed her father a bowl of ice cream.

"Everything's great," Ron said. He noticed the look on Drew's face. "Want mine?" he asked her.

"You wouldn't mind?" Drew asked shyly.

"Not at all," Ron pushed his bowl over to her.

*** *** ***

Lavender blocked the door to her studio and put on her most serious, stern face. Seamus had stopped by one of her boutiques unexpectedly and had asked to see the dress robes she was working on for the wedding.

"But you're not supposed to see them before the wedding," Lavender protested. "It's bad luck or something, right? After all we've been through, we don't need to tempt fate, Seamus."

"I don't believe in any of that," Seamus replied. "Come on Lav. I love you and nothing is going to stop us from getting married all right?"

"Well, I saw both of my other 'husbands' before those non-weddings," Lavender admitted. "And they both turned out really bad, so I guess it's okay if you see them."

"What, cause you think I'm going to turn out really bad?" Seamus put his arms around her waist.

She shook her head. "No, but this is one that I want to count. I just want everything to be on our side, Seamus."

"It's going to count," Seamus kissed her lightly. "Everything's going to be fine."

Lavender smiled and stepped back so Seamus could walk inside her office. She held her breath as he looked at the dress robes. They were a pretty ivory colour with intricate pearl stitching along the collar and hem.

"What do you think?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Can you put them on?" he asked.

She shook her head. "That's where I'm drawing the line. I don't want you to see me in them yet."

"Actually, I was looking forward to you undressing more than you putting those on," Seamus said playfully.

Lavender hit him on the chest. "If that's the case why don't I just walk down the aisle in my bra and knickers then?"

"I would have no problem with that," Seamus grinned before leaning in to kiss her again.

"Somehow I thought you wouldn't," Lavender teased when they broke apart. She rested her head on his chest. "I can't believe we're finally doing it, Seamus."

"I know," Seamus kissed the top of her head. "I can't wait Lav."

"My aunt actually asked if we were rushing things," Lavender said with a laugh. "Can you believe that?"

"Well I suppose we are in a time sense, but we've also been waiting fifteen years for this." Seamus said, stroking her hair.

"True," Lavender said. "And if I hadn't been so quick to rush to judgment...no, I'm not going to do that again. We can't change the past."

"We can't," Seamus agreed. "But we've got this second chance. Not everyone can say that."

"That's right," Lavender said smiling. "And we have so much to do in such a short time. With the wedding and the move..."

"That's right," Seamus said. "Actually, part of the reason I came in here was to tell you I have to go back to LA the day after Julie's party."

"What?" Lavender asked. "Why?"

"Just some more film negotiations." Seamus replied. "And it's only for a couple days. Then I'll come back again." he leaned down so his forehead was touching hers. "I was hoping I could somehow get you to come with me."

"Really?" Lavender asked excitedly.

"Really," Seamus answered. "You can come see my studio and how I do things over there."

"We'll have to do all the tourist-y things, too," Lavender told him. "And you'll have to take me shopping."

"We'll only be there for a few days," Seamus laughed. "But you're going to love Rodeo Drive."

"Love it?" Lavender asked. "I'm never going to want to leave, Seamus. That is THE place to shop."

"Yes it is and the stores are waiting for you," Seamus teased her.

"And I've heard that there are some great sushi bars, too," Lavender teased him back.

Seamus shook his head. "I don't know about any of those," he replied. "I'm not likely to take you to one either."

"Oh come on," Lavender pouted. "Come on, Shamy."

"I don't think so," Seamus squeezed her side.

"My pout has always been foolproof, Seamus," Lavender said squeezing him back. "You aren't going to fall for it once more for old time sake?"

"I'm pout proof now," Seamus joked. "Do you know how many actresses have tried the pout on me these last fifteen years?"

"Do I want to know?" Lavender asked.

"You probably don't," Seamus replied jokingly.

Lavender frowned. "Now I'm intrigued. How many? More than 10?"

"Maybe," Seamus said. "Let's not get into that, aye?"

"No, no," Lavender said. "I want to know!"

"Why?" Seamus asked.

"Because I need to know," Lavender answered. "Do you know how many times I picked up a magazine over the years and saw your picture in there with some actress and they'd always have that standard 'we're just friends' rubbish. I'm not going to be mad, Seamus. I have you now and no one else is going to ruin what we have. I just...want to know."

"I only dated a few different people Lav," Seamus said, sitting on her sofa.

"Define 'a few'," she said sitting down beside him.

"Well for the first four years after leaving England I didn't date at all." Seamus said. "I didn't want to. Then... I would start noticing your characteristics in some actress on the set or around town. And we would be together, but it never lasts out there."

"You were looking for someone like me?" Lavender asked not bothering to hide her satisfaction with his answer. "But Summer---she was nothing like me, Seamus."

"You don't understand how much she was like you," Seamus replied. "Maybe not in looks necessarily, but her energy was a lot like yours, and her spunk."

"I have nothing in common whatsoever with that...toddler," Lavender scoffed. "She was an absolute airhead, Seamus. I admit I'm nowhere near as smart as Hermione, but at least I know what's going on and I have some common sense."

"If you took some time to talk with her you'd realise she's not a bad person," Seamus said gently. "She's still my friend Lav. You're the woman I love but she is a friend. I hope you can accept that."

"I'll accept it," Lavender said reluctantly. "But I won't have to like it."

"You won't at first if I know you," Seamus grinned at her. "But eventually I think you'll find her to be a good shopping partner." he nudged her side.

"Don't count on it," Lavender said. "Let's put it this way. I'll go shopping with Summer when you go golfing with Draco Malfoy. How about that?"

Seamus shook his head. "How about we wager on this?" he asked.

"What sort of wager?" She asked.

"Three massages, thirty quid, and a very romantic date, paid for by the loser," Seamus said as if he'd rehearsed it.

"Prepare to pay up because I'm never going shopping with Stormy Weather or whatever she calls herself these days," Lavender said confidently.

"Lav," Seamus said. "These people are a part of my life."

Lavender sighed. She really was trying to be more mature than she had in the past about this. Seamus was with her now and he wanted to marry her. "I know, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Seamus replied. "I know this is all moving fast but I just hope you'll keep an open mind. She's really nice, as are most of the people I know. And they're going to love you. You're going to fit right in like a glove."

"I'm glad you're so confident," Lavender said, finally voicing the slight doubts she had about this move. "I'm not going to know anyone, Seamus."

"This is Hollywood we're talking about," Seamus grinned. "Even if no one knows you, when they find out what a great designer you are they'll want to be your best friend."

"I wish I could take Hermione and the kids with me," Lavender said wistfully. "I suppose running the Ministry is more important than keeping me company."

Seamus laughed. "Maybe a bit," he replied. "But they'll come over to visit anytime you want. And the first few days, I want you on set with me so you can meet everyone."

Lavender nodded. "And she did say that I could still pop in whenever I wanted, too. Harry wasn't too happy about that, but he just doesn't understand."

Seamus laughed harder. "Harry just likes giving you a hard time."

"He's very good at giving me a hard time," Lavender said laughing. "I think he's going to miss me, too. He'd never admit it, but he will."

"Of course he will," Seamus said. "You're a hard person to let go."

"So are you," Lavender said.

Seamus gave her another kiss. "I'll let you get back to work then," he replied. "I'm glad you're coming back with me after Julie's party."

"Me too," Lavender said standing up so she could walk him out. "Do you really like the dress robes?"

"I do," Seamus replied. "They're gorgeous, just like you."

"Sweet talker," Lavender said opening up her studio door. "Now get out of here so I can get back to work."

"Right," Seamus said. "I'll see you later for dinner?"

"Of course," Lavender said kissing him one last time.

Seamus kissed her back. "Around seven?"

"Sounds perfect," she said softly. "I love you, Finnigan."

"Love you too, soon to be Finnigan," he replied.