Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who continues to read and review! We both appreciate it so much. Julie and Nick finally see each other in this chapter---but will she be so quick to forgive? And the junior couple in our story---Jon and Allie---have a nice little moment too. We hope you enjoy the story and as always please read and review!

Open Arms-Journey

So now I come to you, with open arms
Nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms

Harry watched as his wife ran around the kitchen making sure everything was in its place. "Relax will you?" he asked, catching her arm and pulling her to him. "It's just your parents coming over, not the Greek Minister for Magic."

"I want everything to be perfect," Hermione said sheepishly. "This is the first time they'd been over in awhile and I'm just...nervous."

"Why, because you're telling them about the baby?" Harry ran his fingers through her hair. "Everything's fine. The scones are in the oven, you know your dad loves those. And all I have to do is smile at your Mum," he teased.

"Someone's awfully confident," Hermione said with a grin. "You do remember when we told them when I was pregnant with Julie? You were so scared you threw up twice before they arrived. You thought my dad was going to kill you for touching me..."

"That was also twenty years ago," Harry refused to feel intimidated. "By now he knows we shag all the time."

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"What?" he asked, feigning innocence.

"They most certainly do not know that!" Hermione protested. "And I certainly don't think that's something you should bring up when we tell them. I still think my dad likes to believe Ethan and Julie were the product of Immaculate Conception."

Harry laughed. "Whatever you say dear," he kissed her hungrily.

The doorbell chimed and Hermione pulled reluctantly away from her husband. "So, good behaviour, okay?"

"Of course," Harry flashed his grin that never failed to make her go weak at the knees.

Hermione shook her head in amusement as she walked out of the kitchen and down the hall. She nervously patted her stomach before opening up the door.

"Hermione!" Elinore said, giving her daughter a hug.

"HI, Mum!" Hermione said with a laugh.

Robert smiled at his daughter as he kissed her cheek. "How are you, sweetheart?"

"Great," Hermione said, ushering them inside. "Harry's in the kitchen."

Hermione was glad that Ron and Luna had volunteered yet again to take all the kids out for dinner. Julie was also out of the house on a girls' night out with Chiaki. Hermione was glad to see her daughter out and about and not moping in her room.

"How was Hillsdale?" Elinore asked. "Did you all have a lovely time?"

"We did," Hermione said happily. "And it looks so much better since Steve took things over. You two should definitely go back yourselves."

"We've got that cruise coming up," Robert said. "Ellie and I are looking forward to it."

Hermione led them into the kitchen and shared a secret smile with Harry.

"Hello, Harry," Elinore said warmly. "Something smells delicious!"

"That would be my scones," Harry said, hugging his mother in law. "You look fantastic, Elinore," he said charmingly.

Elinore beamed at him. "You're just being nice, but I appreciate it just the same."

"It's a shame Julie and Ethan aren't here," Robert said frowning. "We never get to see them anymore."

"You'll get to see Julie at the party Dad," Hermione said as Harry took the pan of scones from the oven. "She's had a tough time of things lately."

Elinore pulled a concerned face. "She hasn't heard back from any of those schools? Oh, Hermione! I can't believe that those schools wouldn't be fighting over her. She's fantastic with children and as smart and clever as her mother."

"That's not it Mum," Hermione said. "I wish that's all it was."

"What is it?" Robert asked. "Is she still upset about Ryan?"

Harry shook his head as he set the glass dish of jam on the table along with the warm scones. "She met someone at Hillsdale..."

"He was the son of that awful Draco Malfoy," Hermione interrupted. "And he broke her heart."

"Oh," Elinore said. "That's terrible."

"Where is this boy?" Robert asked angrily. "Hurting my granddaughter..."

"Back in Australia," Hermione said, shaking her head.

"She deserves so much better," Elinore said as she sat down at the kitchen table. "She's smart, funny, and beautiful. First, this Ryan--and now this horrible Malfoy bloke."

"I know," Harry said. "I wanted to kill him when he wouldn't even look me in the eye."

"She's doing much better now," Hermione said. "She wouldn't come out of her room at first, but having the Weasleys here has done a world of good. And she's gone out with Chiaki tonight."

"Good," Elinore said. "I'm glad to hear she's okay. She's a wonderful girl."

"What about the little man?" Robert asked. "How's he doing?"

"Ethan's fine," Hermione said, smiling. "You'll be proud to know he got perfect marks on his last term in school."

"It runs in the family," Robert said proudly.

"Yes it does," Harry said, looking at his wife.

"Hermione?" Elinore asked. "You look a little pale, sweetheart. Is everything okay?"

Hermione smiled and took Harry's hand. "Everything's perfect, actually."

Harry grinned. "We're glad you both came over. We wanted to tell you both in private that we're having another baby."

"Another baby?" Elinore squealed. "Really?"

Hermione grinned. "We just found out the day we got back. I'm only about a month along."

"This is fantastic," Elinore said, getting up to hug her daughter. "Another grandchild!"

Robert shook Harry's hand. "Making me a grandfather again aye?"

"They say good things come in threes, right?" Harry joked.

"That's right," Robert smiled at his son in law.

Hermione stood between her husband and father and just shook her head. "Did you ever think we'd be here like this after all that happened when we were at Hillsdale?"

"Eventually, yes," Harry slid an arm over her shoulders.

"I wish I could say the same," Robert said truthfully. "I wasn't ready to see my little girl grow up and she seemed to do it all in one summer."

"Dad..."

Elinore laughed. "Hermione, in his eyes you still haven't grown up," she teased.

"Well, I'm sure Harry feels the same way about Julie," Robert said defensively. "I'm just saying that it wasn't easy to watch my daughter sneak around and lie to me."

"Dad!" Hermione said, turning red in the face.

"But that's all in the past now," Elinore said playing peacekeeper. "Right, Robert?"

"Of course," Robert said. "Sorry sweetheart."

"I didn't like sneaking around and lying, Dad," Hermione admitted. "It wasn't easy for me, either."

"It wasn't," Harry confirmed.

"I don't know why I suddenly started bringing all this up," Robert said apologetically. "I guess it was talking about Hillsdale..."

"Yeah," Hermione smiled. "Wish we could have spent an extra two weeks there. That month went by entirely too fast."

"Apparently," Elinore teased, patting Hermione's tummy.

"We all think it's a girl," Harry grinned. "Ethan's especially excited."

"We have so much to plan!" Elinore said clapping her hands together. "Eight months isn't that much time, Hermione. You're going to have to think about the nursery, of course. And we'll need to go shopping for maternity clothes..."

"I still have some of my maternity clothes," Hermione said. "But nursery, definitely."

Elinore took Hermione by the arm and led her into the sitting room leaving Harry and Robert in the kitchen.

"So," Robert said.

Harry looked up at his father in law, wondering what was on his mind.

"How's work?" Robert asked when he couldn't think of anything else to say.

"It's great," Harry replied. "Hard to get back into after being gone on holiday."

Robert nodded. "I hope I didn't open up an old can of worms with what I said a few minutes ago, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "It's all right," he replied. "It was all a long time ago. Lots of things have changed since then."

"They have," Robert said quietly. "It's just never easy to admit your daughter's grown up. Ellie's right---in my eyes, Hermione is still that sweet little girl sitting on the sofa reading a book that was as big as she was."

Harry grinned. "She still reads books bigger than she is."

Robert laughed. "I'm sure you feel the same way about Julie."

"I do," Harry nodded. "The thought of her moving out... I wish she could stay my little girl forever."

"So I guess you and I have something in common," Robert said with a grin.

"Aye, because I still hate golf," Harry laughed.

"And all this time I thought you were just letting me win," Robert said.

Harry scoffed. "If you knew how to play Quidditch, now THERE'S a real sport." he said.

"The only thing you're supposed to do with brooms is sweep," Robert argued.

Harry stared at him, slack jawed. "I'm going to take you on with Ethan," he challenged. "Brooms are far more practical than those golf clubs."

"Need I remind you that I'm a complete Muggle?" Robert asked.

"Exactly," Harry sat back in his chair and grinned.

Robert sat back down and helped himself to a scone.

"And you know that peach would be lovely, whether it's a boy or girl," Elinore was saying as she and Hermione came back into the kitchen.

"You're not going to paint the walls peach are you?" Robert asked. "And since when is peach a colour? That's a fruit last time I checked."

"Be quiet Robert," Elinore chastised. "You don't know anything about colour."

"I do," Robert said defensively. "I know about reds, blues, greens, yellows. What I don't understand is when we started calling colours---mints, banana, cranberry, pumpkin and cherry."

Elinore folded her arms across her chest as Hermione giggled and slid into the seat next to her husband. "Don't get her started Dad."

"Okay," Robert said. "But she knows I'm right."

"I do not," Elinore huffed.

"You do," Robert said with a grin.

"Dad!" Hermione laughed. "Stop it."

"Back me up on this one, Harry," Robert said looking at him expectantly.

"Hey I don't want to be in the doghouse tonight," Harry said, putting up his hands.

"Good boy, Harry," Elinore said. "He knows his place, see?" she said to Robert.

"He's still young," Robert said frowning. "He'll learn."

"I think he's just fine," Hermione smiled dreamily at Harry.

"Big surprise there," Robert teased.

"Robert!" Elinore swatted his arm. "So where's Lavender? She hasn't stopped by in ages."

"You'd never guess in a million years," Hermione replied.

Robert groaned. "Don't tell me. Married, again?"

"To Seamus!" Hermione said excitedly.

"Finnigan?" Elinore asked.

"Yes!" Hermione clapped her hands together. "He came to Hillsdale and they fell in love all over again."

"That's fantastic!" Elinore said happily. "I always liked him."

"Lavender's very lucky then," Robert replied. "After what happened between them before..."

"It was all a big misunderstanding," Hermione answered, not wanting to get into the specifics. "But needless to say they cleared everything up and are as happy now as they've ever been."

"That's fantastic," Elinore said. "When you see her tell her to come by, with Seamus."

"I will," Hermione promised.

"So have you gotten bored with retirement yet?" Harry teased.

"Not hardly," Robert admitted. "I'm enjoying being able to relax and take it easy. Ellie and I are travelling like we always wanted to and I get to golf whenever I want."

"How anyone can golf all day is beyond me," Lavender announced from the doorway. "Most boring sport in the world."

"Lavender Brown," Robert said, standing up. "You look quite familiar...."

"Hi Uncle Robert," Lavender beamed and hugged him tightly. "Hi Aunt Elinore."

"Hermione tells us you have news," Elinore said grinning at her.

"Thanks Hermione," Lavender said, but it was obvious she wasn't bothered. "Yes I do, actually."

"And this one is going to count?" Elinore asked.

"Of course it is," Lavender said. "We're already making plans for it."

Hermione silently counted in her head backwards from ten for the moment when her mother would "volunteer" her services for the wedding planning.

"We have to get started straightaway," Elinore said. "Were you thinking of something small or were you wanting to be completely extravagant?"

"We're only having family," Lavender held up a hand. "I already have dress robes, flowers and my hairstyle in mind. We've even booked a place. We're getting married in a month."

"Lavender!" Elinore said, trying to hide her disappointment. "A month isn't enough time to plan a wedding, sweetheart."

"It's not a big wedding," Lavender said. "Seamus and I don't want to spend any more time apart."

"Oh," Elinore said, the smile returning to her face. "Well, I can certainly understand that. Will the two of you be staying in your flat? Or does Seamus have a place here?"

"Well..." Lavender faltered for a moment and looked at her cousin.

Hermione squeezed Lavender's hand for support. "You can tell them, Lav."

"Seamus and I... we're moving to Los Angeles. Well I'm moving there, he already lives there." Lavender said in one breath.

Elinore stared open-mouthed at her niece, at a loss for what to say.

"Ellie," Robert said, patting her shoulder. "It's not like she's leaving the planet. We'll still see her."

"Please don't be angry," Lavender pleaded. "I'll still come back and visit all the time... it's just that I made such a mistake before by thinking he cheated on me and I let him go for too long. I have a second shot and I'm not missing this one."

Tears welled up in Elinore's eyes as she smiled at her niece. "I know, sweetheart. I--I'm just going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Lavender hugged her aunt tightly. "But you'll get to come visit me and once I get used to the city I'll take you all around there."

"Of course you will," Elinore said, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I am happy for you, Lavender. And I'm sure your mum and dad would be, too."

"Thanks," Lavender said, turning to hug Robert.

"So I guess this means that you won't be stopping by unexpectantly at three in the morning, anymore?" Harry asked Lavender.

"There's always floo powder," Lavender replied pertly. "You'll never be rid of me Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes and in a near pitch-perfect imitation of Lavender said, "Hermione, I have split ends. Please get out of bed and let me cry on your shoulder!"

"Oh shut up!" Lavender put her hands on her hips. "At least MY hair behaves itself," she eyed his messy strands with obvious distaste.

"Or what about that time when Julie was teething and Hermione and I were getting by on no sleep and you showed up in the middle of the night wanting to know if your arse looked big in the dress you were going to wear to some fashion do?" Harry retorted.

"Oh honestly you two," Hermione said. "Break it up all right?"

"She actually did that?" Robert asked earning a glare from his niece. "Sorry..."

"Lav knows I'm going to miss her," Harry said, giving her a hug. "I just hope Seamus knows what he's getting himself back into."

"He does and he loves every moment of it," Lavender said. "By the way Harry- there's a thing called gel. You should look into it." she teasingly mussed his hair even more.

"My hair looms large in my legend," Harry said defensively.

Lavender burst into laughter. "All right you win that one."

Robert and Elinore engaged Lavender in conversation about what happened at Hillsdale and the engagement. Hermione and Harry decided to give them some time alone and they retreated to the sitting room.

"So?" Hermione asked as they settled down on the sofa. "What did you and my dad talk about? Surely not the fact that we 'shag all the time'?"

"Of course not," Harry replied. "Just about how we never want our girls to grow up."

Hermione nodded. "It seems like just yesterday we were bringing Julie home for the first time."

"I know," Harry said a bit sadly. "Soon she's going to want to find her own place."

"I don't want to think about that," Hermione said. "She's always been here with us. To think of her leaving is sad."

"I agree," Harry replied. "At least we'll have baby number three to keep us occupied."

"That we will," Hermione said. "And we still have a seven-year old to keep our hands full..."

Harry laughed. "He's more than a handful."

"At least he doesn't have a Cornish Pixie for a pet," Hermione said with a grin.

"And we're going to keep it that way," Harry said.

*** *** ***

Later that same evening, Jon was walking Allison through Diagon Alley. They were enjoying not being under the watchful eye of Frankie whose latest obsession was to catch her sister snogging.

"She's driving me crazy," Allison said to Jon as they sat down on one of the benches outside Flourish & Blotts. "I think she's trying to read my diary, too."

"Your diary, eh?" Jon asked. "Would a certain red-haired, handsome bloke be mentioned at all in this diary?"

Allison giggled. "I'm not telling you that," she said, bumping his shoulder. "It's called private for a reason."

"Did you write about what we did the other night in the backyard at the Potters?" he teased, putting an arm around her.

Allison blushed deeply. "Maybe," she said.

"I bet it is," Jon said tickling her.

"Well that's for me to know, and you to find out," Allison said, laughing.

"And how exactly would I find this out?" Jon asked.

"You won't!" Allison said. "I meant to say and for you not to find out!"

"Do I get you flustered, Allie?" Jon teased.

"Shut up," Allison said, still laughing.

"And if I don't?" Jon countered devilishly.

"Then you won't get to kiss me goodnight," Allison teased in return.

"That's rather harsh, isn't it?" Jon asked. He looked thoughtfully at her. "Okay. Well, if that's what you want...I won't talk the rest of the evening."

He scooted away from her on the bench and sat with a smug expression on his face.

"Jonathan," Allison said. "Don't you try and turn this around."

Jon shrugged his shoulders and tried not to laugh.

Allison looked at him a moment before a thought occurred to her. "Well all right. You can stay there and be a prat and I'm going for ice cream." She got up and began to walk away; swinging her hips like Chiaki and Julie had showed her one afternoon back at Hillsdale.

Jon certainly hadn't expected her to walk away, but he had to admit that he liked the way she was moving. He quickly focused his attention and took off after her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Yes?" she turned and batted her eyelashes.

Jon remembered his vow not to speak and he mouthed the words "I'm sorry" to her.

"Jon," she began to laugh.

He nodded and pouted at her.

"Stop it," she said, still giggling. "You can talk, you silly git."

"This silly git would like to tell you something," Jon asked, pulling her into a doorway. "I love you, Al."

"I love you too, Jon," Allison said before he claimed her lips.

Jon pressed her against the glass window and pulled her close. He'd wanted to do this all evening, but they'd been in the restaurant and then out on the sidewalk. It hadn't seemed appropriate to kiss her then. But here in this private space, he was able to do what he wanted. Best of all, no one could see. He pulled away only to get air and he was pleasantly surprised when Allison grinned and pulled him back to her.

"Don't even think of taking a breath," she said in his ear before returning her mouth to his.

Jon pulled the strap of her dress down and kissed her shoulder as she ran her fingers through his hair. He looked up at her. "Is this going to make it in the diary?" he whispered.

"In full detail," she said breathlessly. The tingling that had started in her stomach was rapidly spreading downwards as she pressed herself into him; she ran her hands down his chest repeatedly as her head fell back.

"Please," she whimpered quietly. "Please keep doing that..."

"Allie," he breathed. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, but he didn't care. He didn't know if he was doing any of this right, but her last words told him he was doing okay.

"I wish we were older," she said as he began to press his mouth to her neck. "I wish we could do things that we shouldn't be doing yet..."

"Me too," Jon whispered. He ran his hands down her arms. "But we have time, Allie. I'm not going anywhere."

"Me either," she said, her arms around his neck.

"And I'd never force you to do something you weren't ready for," Jon said earnestly. "I want you to trust me."

"I do trust you, Jon," Allison said. "I know you would never push me into doing something we're not ready for…yet."

He kissed her once more. "Are you ready for that ice cream now?"

"Yes," Allison smiled up at him. "I need to cool down."

"You and me both," Jon grinned. "Come on, Longbottom."

"All right Weasley," she said, pecking him on the cheek. "And just so you know, you most definitely ARE in the diary."

*** *** ***

Chiaki kept a watchful eye on her best friend as she danced with Toshio. "I'm still worried about her," she shouted into his ear over the loud music. "Even though she finally looks like she's having a good time."

"It's good to see her smile again," Toshio commented. "You're not mad that I intruded on your girls night out, are you?"

"You're not the only guy," Chiaki wound her arms around his neck. "It's good that you got a few of our friends out here too. Looks like Danny over there is helping out."

Toshio followed Chiaki's gaze to where Julie was laughing at something Danny Tyler was saying. Danny was an old school friend of Julie's.

"Come on, Jules," Danny was saying to her. "Come and dance with me. I've improved since the last time we did."

"Danny," Julie said with a laugh. "I'm not going out there. It's too...crowded."

"That's why you're here," Danny grinned. "You're not a wallflower Jules. You can't fool me."

"You're not going to give up, are you?" Julie asked as he got down on one knee in front of her. "Will you get up! People are going to think you're asking me to marry you or some rubbish like that!"

"You know I'd marry you in a heartbeat," Danny teased.

"No, you wouldn't," Julie said. "You're afraid of my father for a start."

"Who isn't?" Danny asked. "He's a right terror when he wants to be. Faced down the Dark Lord and everything."

"My father is a complete teddy bear," Julie said dismissively. When Danny looked at her as if she was mad, she just shook her head. "He is! You just were too scared to get to know him."

"Right," Danny got back up. "Come on Jules. One dance."

"Okay," Julie said laughing as he led her to the dance floor. "But if you step on my toes, I'm gone."

"Deal," Danny agreed.

Nick ducked into the club, peering around the dim, smoky room. "Easier said than done," he thought of Ron assuring him it would be easy to find Julie in the club.

Julie laughed as Danny pulled her close. "This is a fast song, Danny. We shouldn't be slow dancing..."

"I've got my chance to get a hold of you Jules," Danny said. "I'm not above taking advantage of it."

Nick stared at the girl he loved laughing and dancing closely with another guy. Was she over him already? Pushing through the throng of Muggles dancing madly on the floor, he approached them.

Julie felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around expecting to see Chiaki, but she paled when she saw Nick Malfoy. She blinked wondering if she was imagining him.

"Can I cut in?" Nick decided to play things cool.

"No," Julie said icily, turning back around and giving Danny a weak smile.

"Come on," Nick said, catching her hand in his. "I owe you a dance."

"Can I help you?" Danny asked.

"I don't want anything from you," Julie said glaring at Nick and pulling her hand away. "Come on, Danny."

Danny put an arm around her. "Are you all right Jules? Who was that guy?"

"He's no one," Julie said quietly. "He doesn't matter to me...not anymore."

Nick ground his teeth together and followed them. "I'd just like to have a word with you Julie," he said once he caught up with them. "Privately."

Julie laughed. "What could you possibly have left to say to me? And why the hell are you here? Go away!"

"No," Nick said firmly. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"You heard the lady," Danny said angrily. "She wants you to leave her alone!"

"I heard her," Nick said grimly. "Now she needs to hear me out."

"I don't need to do anything with you," Julie spat at him. She looked apologetically at Danny. "I'm just going to go home, Danny. Could you tell Chiaki that I had to leave?"

"Jules..." Danny said at a loss as she turned and disappeared into the crowd. Danny turned to give this bloke a piece of his mind, but he was already following Julie out the door.

"Julie," Nick said. "I'm not going to leave until you talk to me."

Julie pretended not to hear him as she made her way out of the club. She'd been having a good time and then he had to show up out of nowhere; almost as if he was rubbing salt in her wounds.

Nick followed her persistently. "Ignore me if you like. You know I'm as stubborn as you are."

"You're not stubborn," Julie said walking down the sidewalk at a brisk pace. "You're an insensitive, arrogant arse who only thinks of himself."

"I have a reason why I did what I did," Nick said walking faster alongside her. "If you'll just hear me out--"

"I know what your reason was!" Julie said rounding on him. "You told me loud and clear outside my cabin, Nick. If you were worried that I didn't get it, I can assure you that I did."

"I wasn't..." Nick faltered a moment. "It wasn't real Jules, what I said to you that last day there."

"None of what you ever said to me was real!" Julie exclaimed. "Nothing!"

"That's not true," Nick grabbed her arm and forced her to stop walking. "I love you. I meant that!"

Julie stared at him and for one moment, he thought that she was going to believe him.

"You don't know what love is," Julie said quietly. "You never have and you never will."

"Julie!" Chiaki called running down the sidewalk after them. "Danny said you were..."

Her voice trailed off as she saw Nick. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Chiaki asked him.

"I'm here to straighten things out," Nick said, almost cowering at the look in her eyes.

"We don't need to hear anything you have to say," Chiaki said coldly. She put an arm around her best friend. "Jules, are you okay?"

"No you do," Nick said firmly. "Things happened at Hillsdale that were beyond my control and I had to do things I didn't want to do."

"I'm fine, Chiaki," Julie said ignoring Nick. "I just want to go home and he won't leave me alone."

"Go back in the club," Chiaki told her. "Toshio will make sure you get home okay." She looked at Nick. "I'll take care of him."

Julie stared at him a moment longer before turning away. Nick made to follow her but Chiaki grabbed his arm. "Not so fast," she said coolly.

"Chiaki," Nick began. "You don't understand."

"I didn't," Chiaki interjected. "I didn't understand when I heard what you'd said to her. And then I thought about your father and your cow of a mother and I knew...you're nothing but a liar and a phoney and I'm glad you're not a part of my family."

"I am," Nick said. "Whether you like it or not, we share the same father."

"No, we don't!" Chiaki snorted. "My father is Neville Longbottom. Draco Malfoy means as much to me as I mean to him."

Nick exhaled. "Look, will you give me a chance to explain here? Without interruptions?"

"No," Chiaki said shaking her head. "I don't think so. I don't owe you anything. And if you as much as come near Julie..."

"You'll what?" Nick was starting to grow angry. "If I had lied, and if I was really using Julie like you all think, would I have come back for her?"

"I don't know," Chiaki retorted. "I don't know anything about you, Nick."

"Chiaki," Nick's tone turned pleading. "Please... please hear me out. If you don't believe me afterwards... I'll leave you alone I swear."

Chiaki stared at him. "What? What do you have to say, Nick? Tell me....I'm dying to know."

"Can we go somewhere and sit down?" Nick asked. "It might take awhile."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Chiaki said. "Either you say what you have to say here or you don't say it at all."

"Fine," Nick said. "I did it to save Greta all right? And before you say anything I'm not using her as an excuse. My parents were threatening to sack her, and ruin any chances of her making a life for herself if I didn't break up with Julie." he began.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Chiaki said, shaking her head. Nick smiled in relief as he thought she believed him. "You're really unbelievable."

"Chiaki!" the smile dropped from his face. "Why would I lie about this?"

"Because you're a Malfoy!" Chiaki answered hotly. "All they know how to do is lie."

Nick shook his head. "You know what? Fine! Don't believe me. I'll stay away from you, but if you think I'm going to give up on Julie you've got another thing coming." He shoved his hands in his pockets and brushed past her.

Chiaki stared after him and couldn't believe she'd actually trusted him; that she'd actually thought of him as a brother. He wasn't any better than his father. If Nick thought that Harry or Hermione would let him anywhere near their daughter, he had another thing coming.

Nick stopped about fifteen feet away and turned to look back at her. "I really thought I could trust you." he called out. "Even if you're angry with me we're still brother and sister."

Chiaki walked toward him. "I thought I could trust you. And I did. We all did. We let you in. And you betrayed us all. You probably went back home with your parents and had a great big laugh at our expense."

"I bloody HATE my parents," Nick wanted to explode. "I left Sydney! I left them, my band, my home, I have no money here and if it weren't for my grandparents I wouldn't have a place to stay either. So before you go on thinking that I'm in league with Draco and Ginny Malfoy, keep that in mind!"

"You what?" Chiaki asked, taken aback by what he'd just said.

"I left," Nick snapped.

Chiaki got over her surprise. She wasn't about to let him get to her again. "They probably kicked you out after they found out you'd shagged a Potter!"

Nick raised his eyes to the sky, as if asking for some sort of assistance. "Are you bloody deaf?" he couldn't help asking.

"Chiaki?" Toshio asked coming back to join them. "Are you okay?"

Chiaki nodded. "Where's Jules?"

"Danny took her home," Toshio said, glancing at Nick and back at his fiancée.

"Good," Chiaki said. "I think I'd like to go home, too."

"Right," Toshio took her arm in his.

"I'm not leaving you alone," Nick said. "I think deep down you believe what I just told you."

Chiaki shivered. On some level, he was right. She wanted to believe him, but she just wasn't going to let him take advantage of her or Julie ever again.

"Come on, Tosh," Chiaki said. "Let's go home."

Nick watched her go before kicking a few loose stones across the street. Tonight may not have worked but he knew how persuasive he could be. It would only be a matter of time.

*** *** ***

Harry had stayed up late to go over some case files. He'd meant to go over them earlier, but the visit from his in-laws had derailed those plans. Hermione and the others had gone to sleep ages ago.

His stomach was growling and he thought he might go and grab a quick scone before heading off to bed. He was almost in the kitchen when he heard the sound of muffled crying in the sitting room. His hunger forgotten, Harry walked toward the sitting room.

When he opened the door, he saw his only daughter sitting in the dark, crying.

"Jules?" Harry asked, waving his hand to turn on the lights. "Sweetheart? What is it? What's wrong?"

Julie jumped, obviously startled at the glare which suddenly filled the room. "Oh... it's nothing," she wiped her eyes.

Harry sat down gingerly beside her on the sofa.

"You've never been a good liar," he said softly wiping a tear from her cheek. "You get that from your mum."

"I guess," Julie said, sniffling as he handed her a kerchief. "Thank you."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Harry asked softly.

For a moment she was quiet and then the tears started again. "Why did he come here?" she asked, her face crumpling.

"Who, Julie?" Harry asked, taking his daughter in his arms. "Nick?"

She nodded into his shoulder. "He showed up at the club tonight."

"How did he know where you were?" Harry asked, hoping that Malfoy's son wasn't going to start stalking his daughter.

"I don't know," she sobbed. "I don't want to see him anymore and there he is, trying to act like nothing happened."

"Did he do anything to you?" Harry asked, pulling back to look at her. "If he did, I'll..."

"No he didn't touch me, I wouldn't let him," Julie looked down. "I was just starting not to think about him every other minute and now he's here."

"Oh, sweetheart," Harry said tilting her chin up to look at him. "It's going to be okay. I'll make sure he doesn't come near you again, okay?"

Julie nodded before her father hugged her again. "It's just hard," she whispered brokenly.

"I know," he said gently. "But it will get better, Jules. I know it doesn't seem like that now, but it will."

"It doesn't feel like it," Julie sobbed again. "I hate it! I'm never dating again, not ever."

"As a father, I'm glad to hear that," Harry said smiling down at her.

Julie managed a weak grin. "Yeah I guess."

"But you know what?" Harry asked, as she rested her head on his shoulder. "I said the same thing when I was about your age. I'd had my share of girls who only wanted to be with me because of who I was and what I could do for them. And I told Neville and Cho and Ron that I'd never fall in love, never date anyone ever again. And do you know what happened, Julie?"

"You met Mum," Julie said softly.

"That's right," Harry said with a smile. "So, don't give up just yet, my sweet girl. Think of what you could be missing out on..."

"I suppose," Julie replied. "I just hate the thought of getting close with anyone right now."

"Well, no one's saying that you have to get close to anyone right now," Harry said. "You need time to heal, Julie. And I hope you know that your mum and I will do anything we can to help you."

"I know," Julie wiped her eyes again. "You guys have all been really great."

"Well we love you very much," Harry said hugging her again. "And we want you to be happy."

"I love you guys too," Julie pressed her face into her father's shirt. "I don't know about the happy part though."

"Ah, you'll get there," Harry said, patting her back. "And I know how we could start you on your way. What do you think of one of your dad's world-famous scones?"

"That sounds fantastic," Julie said, smiling genuinely. "Thanks Dad," she gave him a peck on the cheek.

Harry led her into the kitchen. "Your grandparents said to give you their best."

"I should have stayed to see them," Julie said, sitting at the table.

"They missed you," Harry said as he walked over to the icebox. "Of course, we had quite the eventful night. Your grandparents found out about your mum being pregnant and Lavender stopped by to tell them about Seamus and moving to the States."

"How did they take all that?" Julie asked.

"Really well," Harry said handing her a plate. "Well, after your Grandma had a good cry about Lavender."

"I'll miss her," Julie said as she bit into her scone. "There's something about Aunt Lav that just makes me laugh all the time."

"Yes, well she's so...," Harry said, trying to think of a correct word to describe Lavender. "Dramatic."

"No, she is," Julie smiled. "Everything that happens is blown a hundred times bigger with her."

"Exactly," Harry grinned. "But that's Lavender."

Julie nodded. "But you won't miss the three am calls she makes right?"

Harry vehemently shook his head. "No, I won't miss those. But as she reminded me tonight, there's always floo powder."

"So you'll never escape Dad," Julie laughed.

"No, I don't think I will," Harry said with a grin. "But you know something I have missed? You and me doing things like this. We used to have our little midnight snacks all the time."

"I know, back during my summers when I was home from Hogwarts," Julie reminisced. "I miss it too."

"We'll have to do it more often," Harry promised. "I keep wanting to get Ethan to join me, but once he's asleep, he's out like a light."

"Out like a light and heavy as can be," Julie smiled.

"There's something I like to see," Harry said grinning at his daughter, who pulled a confused face. "Your smile, Jules."

"It's come few and far between these days," Julie looked down at the remnants of her scone.

Harry reached across the table for her hand. "It's going to be okay, Julie. I promise."

"I know, all in good time right?" Julie asked.

"Yes," Harry said with a grin. "And this too shall pass and that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Oh, and there are plenty of fish in the sea. Think we covered all the clichés?"

"I think so," Julie giggled.

"It's late," Harry said, clearing their plates. "I think we should probably call it a night."

"Okay," Julie stood up and hugged her father tightly. "Thanks Dad. You always know what to do to make me feel better."

"You're my little girl," Harry said. "It's my job."

"You're the best," Julie replied.

"No," Harry argued. "You're the best."

"How about we're both the best?" Julie asked, grinning.

Harry looked thoughtfully at his daughter. "I like the sound of that."

"Good," Julie kissed his cheek. "I'm sure Mum's missing you by now."

"Yeah, she probably is," Harry said, squeezing her hand. "Love you, Julie."

"Love you too Dad," Julie returned before leaving the kitchen for the comfort of her bed.

Harry watched as his daughter left and he wished that he could do something to take away her pain. There were some things he couldn't protect her from, no matter how much he wished he could. But, Harry thought as he made his way upstairs, he'd do whatever he had to do to make sure Nick Malfoy never hurt her again.