Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well this story is finally starting to draw to a close- we're guessing anywhere between 2 and 4 chapters left before it's finished!!!

This is the chapter a lot of you have been waiting for- Harry and Nick have their chat, and Nick and Julie also see each other again for the first time since the disastrous night at the club. Josh and Lizzy also have a cute moment in the kitchen as well.

As always, please take a few seconds and let us know what you think of this chapter! See you all on Saturday!!

Someday We'll be Together - Diana Ross and the Supremes

My love is yours, baby
Oh, right from the stars
You, you, you posses my soul now honey
And I know, I know you own my heart
And I wanna say:

Someday we'll be together
Some sweet day we'll be together
Yes we will, yes we will
Someday (tell everybody) we'll be together
Yes we will, yes we will

Long time ago
My, my sweet thing
I made a big mistake, honey
I said, I said goodbye
Oh, oh baby
Ever, ever, ever since that day
Now, now all I wanna do is cry, cry

Nick sat on the sofa between Greta and Arthur, looking through an old photo album. Molly was on the other side of the room, knitting needles flashing in the firelight beside her as she knitted several blankets for her grandchildren with the aid of magic.

"I just can't believe that's my mother," Nick said, looking at an old newspaper clipping of his mother and her siblings in Egypt. "She looks so..."

"Happy?" Arthur said fondly looking at the 12-year old Ginny waving enthusiastically at them. "She was such a sweet girl, Nicholas."

Nick shook his head. "She's so different now."

Arthur nodded and turned the page of the photo album. This photo was of Ginny, Ron, and Harry sitting in the backyard of the Burrow. Ginny was laughing at something Harry said.

"That was taken the summer before Harry and Ron's sixth year at Hogwarts," Arthur explained.

Nick smiled. "Uncle Ron doesn't look much different."

"Always looked like he was up to something," Molly said looking over at them.

"Harry doesn't look much different either," Nick noted.

"I should think he looks more relaxed now than he did then," Arthur said quietly. "He's been through hell and back..."

Molly nodded. "He was always a nice, polite boy though."

Nick nodded. "Julie has his eyes," he said.

Arthur smiled and flipped the pages toward the back of the album. "We have some photos of your girl when she was just a baby."

"You do?" Nick asked with obvious interest.

Arthur nodded and pointed to a Muggle photograph. "That was her christening."

Nick smiled at a baby Julie. "I miss her," he said, so quietly he didn't know if anyone had heard him or not.

Greta rubbed his back. "You'll get her back Nick," she said.

"I'm not so sure," Nick said with a frown.

"I am," Greta said. "You're quite charming when you want to be."

"I agree," Molly smiled at him from across the room.

"And it's not like you to give up," Greta continued. "I know you better than anyone Nick."

"I know," Nick said. "I have always loved a challenge, but you didn't see the look on her face the other night, Greta. And on Chiaki's...they both hate me."

"They don't hate you," Arthur said. "I'm willing to wager they don't understand what happened, and when they find out, everything will be fine."

Greta smiled at Arthur. She didn't know what she could do to thank them for the hospitality they'd shown not only Nick, but to her, too. She was a stranger to them, but they'd treated her like family the moment they'd arrived. Once again she wondered how Ginny and Draco Malfoy could have kept their son away from these wonderful people.

"Arthur's right," she told Nick.

"I hope so," Nick said.

The fireplace whooshed at that moment and a few seconds later Ron was tumbling through, brushing himself off. "Hi Mum, hi Dad."

"Ronald!" Molly said with her hand over her heart. "You scared me half to death!"

"Sorry," Ron grinned. "Hullo Nick."

"Hi, Uncle Ron," Nick said warmly.

"Where are my babies?" Molly asked scolding her grandson. "Luna owled me that you were going to stop by for Maddie's robes, but I really wanted to see them, Ronald."

"I dropped Maddie and the girls off at Harry's," Ron explained. "I had to take them shopping today."

Arthur laughed. "Tired you out, did they?"

"That they did," Ron nodded. He saw the older woman sitting next to Nick and held his hand out. "You must be Greta," he said. "It's nice to finally meet you. Nick's told us a lot about you."

"Believe half of it," Greta said playfully nudging Nick. "He tends to exaggerate."

"I do not," Nick said, smiling at her.

Greta laughed. "It's nice to meet you, Ron. Nick told me how kind you and your family have been to him."

Ron grinned at his nephew. "Aye, he's a good bloke," he replied. "Hey Mum, I was hoping that you might have something set aside from dinner. Hermione's trying to cook and things were getting pretty bad back there."

"Oh dear," Molly said grimacing. "What is she trying to make?"

"I don't know," Ron replied. "It was black and smelled like rubber when I left. Everyone else was being polite but I'm too hungry to do anything else."

"So you let your children and wife to suffer?" Molly asked shaking her head. "You are too much, Ron."

"I asked if they wanted to come," Ron shrugged.

Molly didn't believe him, but she stood up anyway. "You're in luck. I made some Shepherd's Pie."

Ron's mouth started to water. "You're the best Mum." he looked over at his nephew. "I also wanted to have a quick word, Nick."

Arthur and Greta went into the kitchen with Molly to give them their privacy.

"Is this good news or bad news?" Nick asked.

"Well I know that you going to the club the other night didn't work," Ron said.

"It was a disaster," Nick said grimacing at the mention of it. He had a feeling that Julie had shared this news with everyone and he was persona non grata in the Potter household as a result.

Ron patted his shoulder. "Well... I do have a bit of good news..."

"I'll take it," Nick said sitting back down.

"I talked to Harry," Ron said. "And he agreed to hear you out. I know it's not Julie... but if you can convince Harry then you'll at least be able to go over there."

Nick paled. "He'll never believe me, Ron."

"He will if you're honest," Ron replied. "I know Harry. I've been best mates with him since we were eleven. He's got a temper but if there's one thing he respects, it's honestly."

Nick sighed. He could still remember the look on Harry's face that last day at Hillsdale. This wouldn't be an easy task. "I don't know what you did to get him to agree to this, but thanks."

"I care about you Nick," Ron said. "Despite what my sister has said and done, you're still my nephew."

"I appreciate it more than you know," Nick said hugging his uncle. "I hope your kids know how lucky they are--to have both you and Luna."

"You should tell them that," Ron said. "Sometimes I don't think they know it." he laughed.

"Next time I see them, I will," Nick promised. "How are they all doing? I miss them."

"Everyone's fine," Ron replied. "By the way, Maddie wanted me to make you promise you'd be at Julie's party. She wants to dance with you," he grinned.

Nick laughed. "If Julie's dad doesn't grind me into a pulp tell Maddie she's got a date."

"I will," Ron replied. "And don't worry about Harry. Like I said- just tell him the truth."

"That I can do," Nick said with a wry smile. "Whether or not he believes me, that's out of my hands."

"Right," Ron said. "I think he will. He's seen and been through enough to know when someone is lying and when they aren't."

"So when should I talk to him?" Nick asked.

"Anytime you want," Ron said. "Although, I do recommend you do it before Julie's party if you want to attend."

"Maybe I'll go by his office," Nick said thoughtfully.

"That's a good idea," Ron encouraged.

"Come on, Ronald," Molly called from the kitchen. "Dinner is served!"

Ron gleefully got up. "Hungry Nick?"

"Starving," Nick said. "And just so you know---before you got here, Nana said I could get the biggest serving."

"I'll race you for it," Ron replied.

Nick opened his mouth to respond, but his uncle had already taken off for the kitchen. "No fair!" Nick called out.

"All's fair in hunger and food Nick," Ron sat before the largest plate. "And I've got the bigger stomach."

"He's definitely got the biggest mouth," Molly teased, winking at her grandson.

"Hey!" Ron said his mouth already full.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Molly admonished.

"Okay Mum," Ron said, shovelling in more food.

Nick shook his head. "Was he always like this?"

"He used to be worse," Molly said with a grin. "If you can imagine that."

"Hello," Ron said staring at them abashed. "I am sitting right here, you know."

"Sorry love," Molly replied. "But you know it's true."

Nick shared a smile with Greta. He'd meant what he said to Ron earlier. He hoped that his cousins did realise what a great father they had.

*** *** ***

The party plans were well underway as Julie's birthday party was that weekend. Julie had a third interview with that school in Guilford so she couldn't help out like she'd planned.

Hermione was going over some of her last minute lists as she and Ethan enjoyed a late breakfast. All morning long her son kept looking at her as if he wanted to ask her something, but every time she looked at him, he just went back to eating his French toast.

Harry walked into the kitchen and kissed his wife on the cheek as he helped himself to some French toast. As he walked past his son, he ruffled Ethan's hair.

"I thought you had to be in the office at nine," Hermione said looking up from her notes.

"I'm going in a little bit later," Harry said. "Thought I'd help out this morning."

"You should really go and pick up those extra chairs and tables," Hermione said checking those off the list. "I was going to meet Lavender to talk about the decorations. But I have a doctor's appointment at one."

"Okay," Harry replied. "You didn't make this did you?" he asked, about to dig into his French Toast.

"No," Hermione said glaring at him. "Anna did."

Ethan grimaced at the memory of his mother's attempt at cooking last night. "What was it supposed to be, Mummy?"

"Chicken," Hermione answered, glaring at her husband. "And not a word from you."

"I wasn't going to say anything," Harry said innocently. "I just really wish you would have told me you were planning on cooking so I could have talked you out of it."

"Yeah," Ethan nodded. "Although I liked the Chinese food we got instead. I think I like it better than fish and chips!"

"Here, here," Harry said before tucking into his breakfast.

Hermione stood up to get herself some more juice and as she came back to the table, she noticed Ethan's eyes on her tummy.

"Something the matter, sweetheart?" Hermione asked taking her seat again.

Ethan shrugged. "I was just wondering..."

"What?" Harry asked when Ethan hesitated.

"Well, I was wondering where..." Ethan began. "Where did the baby come from, Mum?"

Hermione choked on her juice and began coughing.

Harry patted his wife on the back and suppressed a grin.

"The baby?" Hermione finally managed to say. "You want to know where the baby came from?"

"Yes," Ethan nodded. "How does it get in your tummy?"

It was Hermione's turn to blush as she thought about the best way to explain this to a seven-year old.

"Um," she started. "Well, you see Ethan...."

"When a mummy and a daddy love each other," Harry said. "Especially when they love each other as much as your mum and I do..."

Hermione nodded. "They can...well that is they sort of..."

"When they get married, a mummy and a daddy make love," Harry tried to explain. "And sometimes, when they do that, they might have a baby."

Ethan looked at them both in confusion. "How can you make love? Is it something you have to cook?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and laughed. "No sweetheart," Hermione said. "It's something that happens when two people love each other."

"But how does the baby get in there?" Ethan asked pointing at Hermione's stomach.

Harry looked at his wife. "Well..." he said.

Hermione decided to take the biological approach. "Well you see Daddies have sperm cells and mummies have egg cells...."

"What cells?" Ethan looked confused. "And you have eggs in your body Mummy?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes, I do. And see the tiny sperm cell from the Daddy comes together with a tiny egg cell from the mother and this makes a baby. "

Ethan looked at his father. "I don't understand."

Harry smiled at his son. "It's not as easy question to answer, little man."

"How come?" Ethan asked.

"You're still very young and some things you aren't able to understand," Harry explained. "But to put it simply I think that you should know that a little part of the Dad comes together with a little part of the Mum and that's what makes a baby. The baby is going to grow in your Mum's stomach for about nine months..."

"And I grew in there too?" Ethan asked, his eyes looking at his mother's still flat stomach.

"You sure did," Harry answered. "And so did Julie."

"Wow," Ethan said. "I can't believe a whole baby can fit in there!"

Hermione laughed. "Neither can I sometimes. But as he or she gets bigger so will my tummy."

"So when will the baby come out of your tummy?" Ethan asked, trying to process all this information. "And how does it get out of your tummy?"

"The baby will be ready to come out in about nine months," Hermione replied. "The doctor will take the baby out when it's time."

"How does the doctor take the baby out?" Ethan asked. His eyes grew wide suddenly. "Does the doctor have to cut your tummy open?"

"Sometimes they do," Hermione said. "But the baby can come out another way too..."

"Which way?" Ethan asked.

Harry patted his son's shoulder. "Well..." he began. "Mummy will have to push the baby..."

"How can she push the baby when it's in her tummy?" Ethan interjected. "Will you use magic?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "We'll use magic."

"Oh, okay," Ethan said, nodding. He was still trying to process this information, but he seemed to be getting the gist of it.

"What brought all this on, little man?" Harry asked.

"I'm just curious," Ethan said. "I like to know things."

Harry nodded and looked at Hermione. "He gets that from you, you know that?"

Hermione smiled. "Obviously," she said smugly.

"Can I have some more French toast?" Ethan asked.

"Of course," Harry said, dumping another three slices on his son's plate.

Hermione gratefully went back to her list.

Ethan looked at Harry. "Dad, can I ask one more question?"

"Sure you can," Harry said.

"Why does everyone call you and Mummy rabbits?" Ethan asked innocently.

Hermione looked up from her list and began to laugh.

"Would you look at the time?" Harry asked, taking one last bite of his breakfast. "I should really get going on those chairs and tables..."

"Daddy," Ethan said. "I'm just curious!"

"Yeah," Hermione said smiling at her husband. "Why does everyone call us that?"

"Because when your mum was younger, she had three rabbits as pets," Harry said quickly. "And she named them Binky, Winky and Slinky."

Hermione stifled a laugh.

"I don't get it," Ethan said looking back and forth between them.

"You won't until you're older love," Hermione kissed the top of his head.

"You always say that," Ethan said grumpily. "But when I'm older, you'd better tell me."

"I think you'll figure it out on your own," Harry teased.

"I could always ask Aunt Cho," Ethan said smiling at them. "She'd tell me."

"No she won't," Harry said.

"Yes she will," Ethan countered.

"Not if I blackmail her first," Harry replied.

*** *** ***

Josh crossed his arms as his brother turned to Allison and they began snogging again. They were all finishing their lunch and Maddie was staring at Jon with her eyes wide. "Josh why is Jon doing that to Allie?"

"Apparently Jon and Allie have decided to be joined at the lips," Josh wisecracked.

"I think Al just needs some oxygen," Lizzy started teasing as well.

"Watch this," Josh whispered conspiratorially to Lizzy. He looked across the table. "Hello, Mr. Longbottom. Did you want to have lunch?"

Jon jerked back as if he'd been burned. "Hey!" he frowned at his brother. "Just because you're too shy to snog Lizzy doesn't mean you have to take the Mickey out of me and Al for it."

Josh blushed. "Shut it, Jon!"

Allison grinned at Jon. "Come on. There's something... out back that I want to show you."

"Allie, you're not fooling us," Maddie looked conspiratorially at Josh. "Right Josh?"

"We can't get anything past you can we, Maddie?" Jon asked.

"Nope," Maddie shook her head. "I'm the smartest one!"

Drew grinned at her little sister. "Come on then. Dad wanted us to help upstairs."

"Okay," Maddie climbed out of her chair. "Be good Josh," she said to her other brother.

"Always," Josh grinned. He turned back around and looked at his brother. "Come on. We should probably clean up. And you're not getting out of it this time."

"But there's something that Al has to show me," Jon grabbed his girlfriend's hand. "You don't mind Josh, right? Didn't think so. You're the best." and like that he pulled Allison out of the room.

Josh shook his head and looked at Lizzy who was still sitting at the table with a bemused expression on her face.

"Can you believe him?" Josh muttered. "Al has something to show him? She probably wants to show him her tonsils. They never come up for air, Lizzy. Never. If her dad knew what they were doing..."

"Come on Josh don't be a cold fish," Lizzy said. "I'll help you."

Josh smiled sheepishly at her. They gathered up the plates, glasses and silverware and made their way over to the kitchen sink. "So do you want to wash or dry?"

"I'll wash," Lizzy ran water into the sink. "This would be so much easier if we could do this with magic.

"Tell me about it," Josh agreed. He changed a sideways glance at her and had to admit that she was a pretty girl. She wore her hair in plaits again and he realised that he'd never seen her with her hair down since she'd arrived.

"One more year for you, two for me," Lizzy replied. "I can't believe you're in your last year already."

"Neither can I," Josh said with a laugh. "It seems like just yesterday I was some scrawny, gawky 11-year old getting on the Hogwarts Express. Now, I'm just a scrawny, gawky 16-year old."

"You're not scrawny," Lizzy said boldly. "Geeky, maybe." she laughed.

"Geeky?" Josh asked frowning at her. He splashed some water on her. "How's that for geeky?"

"Hey!" Lizzy sent a small wave of water his way. "Take that Weasley!"

"Oh, you're going to pay for that!" Josh said, grabbing some of the soapy water in his hands and dousing her with it. "HAHA!"

"You!" Lizzy started laughing. She cupped her hands full of water and flung it at him. It hit him square in the face.

Josh lunged for her and tickled her side. "You don't fight fair, Elizabeth!"

"You started it Joshua!" Lizzy retorted, wiping off her glasses.

"That's because you called me geeky," Josh retorted. He laughed. "You've got some soap on your chin..."

"I do?" Lizzy asked, "Where?"

Josh stepped closer and grabbed a dishtowel. He gently dabbed at her chin with it. "Right there."

"Thanks," she said softly.

Josh's hand lingered on her cheek. "You're welcome."

"So um..." Lizzy actually felt flustered. "What... were we talking about before our little water war?"

"I forget," Josh whispered before leaning in and softly kissing her.

Lizzy's eyes popped open in surprise before she snapped them shut and kissed him back. Was he finally returning her feelings?

Josh rested his hands on her waist and pulled her closer. As he spent more time with Lizzy, he liked her more and more. Truth be told, he didn't really know what to make of her.

Lizzy kissed him harder as she wound her arms around his neck. She felt him pull her glasses off and set them on the counter.

They kissed for a long period of time before Josh felt water on his feet. He looked down to see that they'd left the water running and the sink had overflowed.

"Shite!" Josh swore pulling away from a dazed Lizzy.

"Uh oh," she said, giggling.

Josh turned the water off and picked up the dish towel. "We were supposed to be cleaning up and we made more of a mess."

"We have a good reason for it," Lizzy said.

Josh blushed. "Something tells me Aunt Hermione and Uncle Harry wouldn't be too happy to see that we flooded their kitchen."

"Probably not," Lizzy grabbed another dish towel and began mopping up the water.

"So," Josh asked as they both mopped up the water. "Julie's party...."

"What about Julie's party?"

"Well, I'm going to be there," Josh began. "And you're going to be there...."

"Yes," Lizzy realised where he was going with this and grinned.

"And you know we could probably---you know---go together, if you wanted."

"I'd love to go with you," Lizzy agreed immediately.

Josh sighed. "It's okay. I mean if you don't want to go..."

"Hello Josh?" Lizzy tossed her wet towel at him. "I said I'd love to go with you."

"You would?" Josh asked. "Really?"

"Really," Lizzy replied.

"Great," Josh said smiling at her. He was about to kiss her again when Anna came into the kitchen.

"Lizzy?" Anna asked. She saw her daughter and Josh sitting on the floor both nearly soaking wet. "Elizabeth, what on earth happened?"

"We had a little accident Mum," Lizzy replied, her face red.

Anna laughed. "It would seem so. Come on then. Remember? We were going to get you some new dress robes for the party."

"Right," Lizzy got up. "Um... what do we do about all the water?"

"I'll take care of it," Josh said quickly. "You go on ahead with your Mum."

"Are you sure?" Lizzy asked. "I mean... it was party my fault too."

"You can pay me back later," Josh said hoping she got his meaning.

"Right," Lizzy said.

"Or I could help you both out with this," Anna teased, producing her wand.

"You certainly could," Josh said smiling at Anna. "Thanks."

"No problem," Anna waved it and a moment later the entire kitchen was sparkling clean, and more importantly, dry.

"Thanks Mum," Lizzy said, putting her glasses back on. "I'll see you later Josh. This was fun," she smiled at him.

"You still owe me one," Josh whispered winking at her.

"We can discuss payment later," she said in his ear as her mother left the kitchen. When she saw they were alone, she pressed her lips to his again.

"See you later, Elizabeth," Josh said with a grin when they pulled apart.

"All right Joshua," she replied. "Sorry about that Mum," she said, joining her mother in the hallway.

"Anything you want to tell me?" Anna asked.

"Well..." Lizzy said. "Josh asked me to go to the party with him."

"He did?" Anna asked. "Before or after you had a water fight?"

"It was after, while we were trying to clean it up," Lizzy unwound one of her plaits and then the other.

"That's great, Lizzy," Anna said. "We'll have to get you some nice dress robes. My baby has her first date!"

"Mum!" Lizzy protested.

"That's right," Anna said. "This will technically be your second date!"

"Do you have to announce that to the entire Wizarding World?" Lizzy was red.

"I'm your mum," Anna said, putting an arm around her. "I'm supposed to embarrass you."

"Honestly," Lizzy pushed her glasses up.

"I can't wait to talk to Luna about this," Anna said happily. "Does she know about you and Josh?"

"About her and Josh what?" Luke said coming into the bedroom.

"We're going to the party together," Lizzy said, running her fingers through her long hair. "It's not a big deal."

"I think I might just have to have a few words with young Mr. Weasley," Luke said in his best stern father voice.

"Stop it," Lizzy said. "Mum's being embarrassing enough."

"Yes, Luke," Anna teased. "We should at least wait until their fourth date to have the 'talk'."

"Come on Mum, let's go," Lizzy said.

"I promise I won't say anything," Anna said grabbing her bag. "Now your father..."

"Dad promise you won't embarrass me," Lizzy said sternly.

"I promise I won't embarrass you," Luke vowed. "Intentionally."

"Fine," Lizzy shook her hair back- it was wavy now from being in the plaits and being splashed with water during her fight with Josh. "Mum and I will go out and spend all your money now."

"Anna," Luke said. "Tell me she's joking!"

Anna laughed at him. "Of course not love."

"Have fun then," Luke said kissing his wife. "And I promise to stay away from Josh, Elizabeth."

"Right," Lizzy grinned at her father.

*** *** ***

Harry was going over some old case files when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," Harry said absently.

Nick took a deep breath before pushing the door open hesitantly. He peeked around. "Um... hello..." he said.

Harry looked up and stared at the young man. "Close the door behind you."

"Sure," Nick said, doing so quickly. "So um... my uncle Ron said you would see me... I hope this isn't a bad time. If it is I'll come back. You name the time and I'll be here," he was speaking too fast and it made him wince.

Harry's expression was unreadable as he motioned for Nick to sit down. "Let's get something straight first, Malfoy. The only reason I agreed to meet with you is because Ron believes in you. If it weren't for him, I'd never have agreed to this...not after what you did."

"I understand," Nick said, sitting right in front of Harry.

"What is it you have to say then?" Harry asked leaning back in his chair.

Nick gulped nervously. He'd rehearsed what he was going to say all morning but now that he was actually here, the words left him. "Well... I wanted to explain why I did what I did."

Harry nodded.

"Well I know while we were all at Hillsdale, I told you about Greta." Nick continued, trying to make his voice not shake so much. "The last day we were there, after I left your cabin, my parents were waiting for me. They told me if I didn't dump- I mean break up with Julie, then they would sack Greta." Nick found his foothold. "Not just sack her, but they were going to spread the word that she stole from the house, and they would make sure she never got another job."

Harry could certainly believe Ginny and Draco were capable of a stunt like that, but it all seemed sort of convenient.

"I wouldn't have broken things off with her if it wasn't for that." Nick said. "I love her. I love Julie- when I first met her I wasn't looking for something long term but after I got to know her, I can't imagine being without her." he sighed and looked down. "The thing with Greta is... she's like my mum. She raised me. She's been around as long as I can remember. I'd do about anything for her because of everything she's ever done for me."

"Why didn't you tell Ron about this?" Harry asked quietly, his expression still giving nothing away. "You could have even told me when I came to question you."

"I couldn't," Nick said. "If I told you or my uncle, and you confronted my parents, who knows what they would have done to Greta?"

"So what happened when you returned to Sydney?" Harry asked

"They sacked her anyway," Nick said miserably.

That definitely sounded like Draco and Ginny, Harry thought. As he looked at Nick Malfoy sitting across from him, Harry saw the younger man's sad, faraway look. An overwhelming sense of deja vu came over Harry as he remembered walking into Dr. Robert Granger's office over 20 years ago and asking for Hermione's hand in marriage.

"So..." Nick took Harry's silence as a means to continue. "I packed up some things, and Greta came here with me. My parents froze my account, so I can't get to any of my money. My grandparents are letting us stay with them as long as we need."

"Molly and Arthur are good people," Harry commented.

Nick nodded. "They really are," he said. "It's been great getting to know them since I got here."

Harry was silent as he processed all that Nick had just told him. It certainly seemed plausible. Harry had even suspected from the very beginning that there was something more to Nick's sudden change of heart where Julie was concerned. But, Harry wasn't so quick to forgive. He'd spent the past few days watching his daughter try to pick up the pieces and carry on with her life.

"So um..." Nick clasped his sweaty hands together. "Is there anything else you wanted to know?"

Harry shook his head. "I think I've heard all that I need."

"Oh," Nick blew out his breath. "Okay..."

"I believe you, Nick," Harry said.

He stared at Harry for a moment. "You do?" he finally asked.

"Yes," Harry replied. "But it's not me you have to convince."

"I know," Nick said. "I still have to get Chiaki to believe me again too."

"You hurt them both a great deal," Harry said. "No matter how good your intentions were, you still hurt two people who thought they could trust you."

"I know," Nick bowed his head.

"It's not my place to invite you to her party," Harry said. "That will be up to Julie."

"Do you um... do you know how I could see her?" Nick asked.

Harry hesitated. He saw how well Ron's attempt to help things out between Nick and Julie had gone. Harry didn't want to be the cause of his daughter crying in a dark room again.

"Hermione, Ethan and I are taking her out tomorrow evening for a celebration dinner. She got that teaching job she wanted," Harry answered.

"I don't know if it's a good idea that I show up," Nick answered. "I mean... that's what happened last time and it didn't work."

"You can come by the house after our dinner," Harry suggested. "If she wants you to leave, I hope you'll respect her wishes."

"I will," Nick said. They were both silent a moment. "Do you think she'll listen to me though? I wouldn't blame her for wanting to throw me right out."

"Neither would I," Harry admitted. "But, I've been in your shoes, Nick."

"You have?" he asked.

Harry nodded. "Hermione and I had a problem in our relationship right after we moved in together. His name was Gordon."

"What did he do?" Nick was curious.

"What didn't he do would be the more appropriate question," Harry said sarcastically. Truth was, he hadn't thought much about Gordon Devereaux in years. "He was an old schoolmate of Hermione's. Long story short, he was a very sick individual. He manipulated everything and made Hermione feel sorry for him. She thought he could do no wrong."

"And she finally realised that he wasn't all she thought he was?" Nick guessed.

"Not right away," Harry replied. "I had your Aunt Luna dig up some information on him and I showed it to her and she dismissed it all. She didn't even look at it, Nick. Here I was with concrete proof and she didn't even want to look at it. I was at the end of my rope and I-I walked out on her."

Nick was so surprised at that his eyebrows shot up. "You did?"

"It's not something I'm proud of," Harry answered. "But yeah, I did. And I was scared that I'd lost her forever."

"But you didn't," Nick was eager to hear the rest of the story, even though the ending was obvious.

"No, I didn't," Harry said with a smile. "I stayed out all night and went to see her father the next morning. I was about as nervous as you were before you walked in here. I told him that Hermione and I had a terrible row, but that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. When I came home, she was finally ready to listen to what I'd found out."

"And after that you worked everything out and got married," Nick said.

"That's the condensed version," Harry said laughing. "But yeah, that's what happened."

"I hope I can make that work for me too," Nick smiled. "Despite what I said to Julie I do love her."

"I know," Harry said. "We should be home tomorrow evening around nine."

"I'll come by then," Nick said. "This really means a lot to me sir."

"Good luck, Nick," Harry said giving him a reassuring smile. "My daughter's as stubborn as her mother."

Nick let out a shaky laugh. "Well here's hoping I can get through to her then."

"And to Chiaki," Harry said. "I guess I don't have to tell you, she's not your biggest fan right about now."

"I know," Nick said. "Guess I'll just work on everyone one at a time. Something tells me she'll be easier to convince than Julie."

"I'm not so sure," Harry said. "Your father said some horrible things to her, Nick. She trusted you and thought that you weren't like him. Not only did you hurt her best friend, you betrayed her trust. Chiaki's my goddaughter and I love her dearly, but she can hold a grudge better than anyone I've ever met in my life."

Those weren't words that Nick was hoping to hear and his face fell. "Maybe I should go over and see her right now," he said.

"That might be a good idea," Harry said.

Nick nodded. "I really appreciate this," he said. "It means a lot that you believe me."

"I didn't want to," Harry said. "Especially not after seeing Julie these past few days. But, I know it must have taken a great deal of courage for you to do what you did for Greta."

"She means a lot to me," Nick replied. "But so does Julie."

"Your parents knew that would have been a tough choice for you to make," Harry said quietly. "They knew that either way you went, someone you loved would be hurt."

"Well I'm hoping that this way I can make both people I love happy," Nick said, scuffing his foot along the carpeted floor.

"I wish you luck," Harry said. "Just tell her the truth like you told me."

"I will I promise." Nick stood up but he must have looked like he was going to say something else for Harry stood up as well.

"So I guess we'll see you tomorrow evening?" Harry asked walking Nick to the door.

"Yeah," Nick said. "You know, my uncle Ron was right about you. He said you were a fair guy. He said you'd listen to me and believe me if I told the truth and I did."

Harry smiled. "He said that, did he? Well, like I said before, I've been in your shoes before."

"More than I ever knew," Nick put out his hand.

Harry shook Nick's hand. "If she decides to give you a second chance, don't screw it up, Nick."

"More like a third chance," Nick said ruefully. "I was a bit of a prat the first time around too."

Harry could also relate to that. He remembered how horrible he'd been to Hermione when she'd first arrived at Hillsdale.

"See you tomorrow evening," Harry said patting him on the back.

"Right," Nick said. "And thanks again."

Harry watched Nick walk away. He hoped that everything would go okay and that most of all his daughter wouldn't end up hurt again.

*** *** ***

Julie arrived back at the house, feeling happier than she had in awhile. She had the job she'd been wanting since she had first interviewed there and her parents had been flanking her with attention all evening, as had Ethan. "Thanks for a great night Mum, Dad." she said. "It was really nice."

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Hermione said putting an arm around her. "We're so proud of you!"

"Thanks," Julie leaned against her mother, a smile on her face. "How come you keep checking your watch Dad?"

"Yeah, Harry," Hermione teased. "You have a date or something?"

"No," Harry replied. "Smartarse. Ethan's tired so I wanted to be back somewhat early."

"I'm not tired, Daddy!" Ethan exclaimed skipping up the stairs.

"All right, then I am," Harry replied.

"Okay Dad," Julie shook her head as they came into the house. "I'm going to get something to drink."

"I'm thirsty too," Hermione said following Julie into the kitchen. Julie, however, had stopped abruptly and Hermione nearly bounded into her. When Hermione saw who it was, she scowled. Nick Malfoy was sitting in her kitchen talking with Ron as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"What's he doing here?" Hermione asked narrowing her eyes at Ron.

"He's here to explain some things." Harry said naturally. "Come on into the bedroom."

"Right," Ron got up. "I think I'll go to bed as well."

"You knew about this?" Hermione asked as Harry practically pulled her out of the kitchen.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Not so loud love."

Nick nervously stood up and stared at Julie as he heard Harry leading Hermione away.

"Hi," he said with a slight smile.

Julie folded her arms over her chest and stared coolly back at him.

This wasn't starting out well at all, Nick thought morosely. He picked up the bouquet of pink roses he'd bought on his way over here. "These are for you."

"Oh," Julie said coolly, making no movement at all.

Nick nodded and placed the flowers back on the counter. "Congratulations on your job, by the way. That's really great news, Jules."

"Thank you," Julie finally softened her stance and moved a little into the room.

"Don't be angry at your dad," Nick began.

"Why would I be angry at him?" Julie asked. "There's only one person in this house I'm in a strop with right now."

"As you should be," Nick said. "But you really don't have the full story, Julie."

"Really," Julie said in a disinterested tone.

Nick sighed. "No, you don't. I love you, Julie. I always have. I never stopped. What I said that last day at Hillsdale, that wasn't me."

"Right," Julie said sarcastically. "And I forgot to mention that I'm the Queen of England."

This was a bloody disaster, Nick thought. He stepped closer to her. "Julie, if I didn't love you why would I have come back here---humiliating myself and asking for your forgiveness? I gave up everything for you---can't you see that?"

"You what?" Julie forgot her anger for a moment.

"I don't know what my uncle has told you, but that last day at Hillsdale, my parents gave my an ultimatum. They said that if I didn't break things off with you, they'd sack Greta. They made it clear that they'd tarnish her reputation and make sure she never worked for any family ever again."

He shook his head. "When we got home, they sacked her anyway, Julie. She's been with them for years and they just...sacked her. I thought we'd had a deal, but I should have known better that my parents' word doesn't mean much. So, Greta and I left. We didn't know where we were going to go or what we were going to do, but we left. As you can probably imagine my dad didn't take too well to this. He froze my accounts."

Julie stared at him, comprehending what he just told her.

Nick shrugged. "I've been staying with my grandparents. They've been really great. I've met my Grandpa and he's as brilliant as you told me he was."

Julie was conflicted- she wasn't sure whether or not she could believe him.

"If this was all some ruse on my part or if I thought what you and I had was just some fling, would I be here? Ask yourself that, Julie."

"I suppose not," she finally said quietly.

For the first time in days, Nick felt a surge of hope. "I keep seeing the look on your face that day. I hated saying those awful things to you, Julie."

"Then why did you?" Julie asked.

"What?" Nick asked taken aback. "I--I just told you..."

"You could have come to me Nicholas," Julie said. "You could have told me what your parents were doing. I'd have helped you stage some false break-up or something," Julie snapped. "But instead you chose to hurt me."

"I know," Nick said with a pained expression on his handsome features. "I didn't think, Julie. My parents didn't give me much time."

Julie shook her head. "I just don't know Nick," she said softly.

"If you need time to think about it---that's okay," Nick said. "But I'm not going anywhere, Julie. I'm here. I love you."

"I love you too," Julie said, surprising herself.

Nick hadn't expected her to say it either. He smiled. "Still?"

"I had this dream the other night," Julie said as he sat down beside her. "You came into my room and you told me all this. Not as detailed, but after you kissed me, your mother and father were there, and they were laughing, saying that you tricked me again. And then you started laughing at me too, and it was like you breaking things off all over again."

Nick took her hand. "Jules, I'm sorry for everything. You believe that, right? I mean you do understand why I did what I did, don't you?"

"I don't know," Julie looked away from him.

It was silent between them for a long time. Nick didn't know what else he could say to convince her.

"Your birthday party is this weekend, right?" he asked quietly.

"You know it is," Julie said softly.

Nick smiled. "Am I still invited?"

"I don't care what you do," Julie said, still trying to pretend she wasn't interested in what he did.

"So if I showed up, you wouldn't care?" Nick asked her. "And if I did, you wouldn't hex me or anything?"

"There's going to be a lot of people there," Julie shrugged. "I probably wouldn't have any time for you."

"If its all the same to you, I think I will go," Nick said. "I'll get to see my cousins and I'd really like to talk with Chiaki, too."

Julie shrugged again. "Whatever." she looked back at him.

Nick didn't want to leave, but he certainly didn't want to overstay his welcome. It was enough for now that she'd agreed to hear him out and that she admitted that she still loved him.

"It's late," Nick said standing up. "I should probably get back to the Burrow."

"Fine," Julie pulled her knees up and hugged them to her chest.

Nick nodded and looked down at her. He kissed the top of her head. "Good night, Julie."

"Goodbye Nicholas," her tone was cool, but not as cold as it had been before.

Nick gave her one last smile before walking out.

Julie let out a breath once he'd left the room. He certainly had some good points but she didn't know if she truly wanted to forgive him. She picked up the flowers he'd brought her and buried her nose into them.

"Those are pretty flowers," Hermione said from the doorway.

"Mum!" Julie jumped, startled. "How... how long were you there?"

"Just a few seconds," Hermione said. "I'm not very happy with your father at the moment."

"He let Nick in to see me," Julie got up and started searching the cabinets for a vase.

Hermione walked over to the cabinet by the icebox and pulled out a crystal vase. "Here you are love."

"Thanks," Julie said softly. She pulled the flowers out of the wrapper and began to arrange them.

Hermione was still upset with Harry for not telling her that he'd spoken with Nick. She was also mad that he hadn't at least warned Julie so she wouldn't have to be ambushed.

"Are you okay, Julie?" Hermione asked.

"I'm fine," Julie replied.

Harry came into the kitchen and looked at his wife who turned away from him.

"Dad it's okay," Julie said before either of her parents could talk. "Really."

"You're really not angry?" Harry asked.

Julie shook her head. "I know he talked to you," she replied. "I knew it before I even saw him here tonight."

"How?" Harry asked.

"I just did." Julie said, playing with the pink roses.

"Well I didn't," Hermione said angrily.

"Hermione, I told you--"

"No," Hermione said rounding on him. "Once again you decided what was best for everyone!"

"It's fine Mum," Julie picked up the vase. "I'm taking this to my room."

"Good night, sweetheart," Hermione said, deliberately ignoring her husband as she made her way to the icebox.

Harry caught his daughter's arm as she was about to leave the room. "I didn't do it to hurt you sweetheart. You know that right?"

Julie nodded. "I know, Dad. Good night."

"Good night," Harry kissed her forehead.

Hermione poured herself a cup of pumpkin juice and sat down at the table.

"Hermione," Harry began. "You know I'd never do anything to hurt--"

"I know that!" Hermione snapped.

"Then why are you acting like this?" Harry asked.

"Because you didn't tell me," Hermione replied. "As usual..."

"He only came to see me yesterday," Harry said, his tone rigid. "And in case you've forgotten, we're entertaining guests and I, once again, had to make dinner for about twenty people, with Ron's appetite."

"We were alone last night," Hermione pointed out. "And this evening when we were getting ready to take the kids to dinner."

"I forgot, okay?" Harry said. "I don't have the memory that you do."

"You forgot?" Hermione asked incredulously. "The reason your daughter has been walking around here all sad and depressed comes to see you and that just slipped your mind? Give me a little credit, Harry."

"Hermione, I'm not perfect okay?" Harry snapped. "The guy made a mistake. He came to my office and told me what happened and I believed him. He told me he loves Julie."

"I just wish you'd have told me," Hermione said her tone somewhat softer. "That's all."

"What would you have done?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said quietly. "I just would have liked to know what was going on. She's my daughter, too."

Harry sighed. "I know. But I do believe him. And I believed him when he told me he loves Julie. So I told him to come over here tonight to try and talk to her."

"You believe him?" Hermione asked. "Really?"

Harry nodded. "I can tell when someone's being honest."

"I know," Hermione said. "I'm sorry for getting so mad..."

"It's okay," Harry said. "I should have said something to you."

Hermione smiled. "You're really hard to stay mad at, Harry."

"It's part of my charm," Harry pulled her onto his lap.

"I love you," Hermione whispered.

"I love you," Harry kissed his wife.

"Let's go upstairs," Hermione said softly.

"And do what?" Harry asked mischievously.

"Make up of course," Hermione replied.

"And," Harry stood up with his wife in his arms.

Hermione grinned. "Whatever you want."

"I have one idea in mind," Harry kissed her hungrily as they left the kitchen.