Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thank you all soooo much for your continued support- all your feedback has been great to read and respond to!

You J/A fans will not like this chapter so much, and D/G also find out what was thought to be a well kept secret. And remember- they might be leaving Hillsdale soon but there's still more story to come :)

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am

Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies

The Weasleys, Longbottoms and Potters were among the last guests to leave the ballroom that night. Allison had tagged along with Jon and they'd been inseparable most of the evening. Maddie, who had spent the last few minutes asleep in Luna's arms had now discovered one of her trademark second winds and was making faces at her brothers over her mother's shoulder.

"Jon," Maddie whispered. "You're going to read to me tonight, okay?"

"Mad Dog," Jon said, using his nickname for her. "I thought you were going to bed as soon as we got back to the cabin?"

"But not until you read me a story!" Maddie grinned at her brother. "And you have to play with Dolly and me too."

"Maddie," Jon said, wanting to turn her down, but once Maddie smiled at you like that it was hard to turn her down. "I was going to walk Al back to her cabin."

"Its okay, Jon," Allison said, winking at Maddie. "I understand."

"Are you sure?" Jon asked.

"Yes," Allison said, squeezing his hand. "I'll be fine. Besides, Maddie's counting on you."

"Okay," Jon pulled her back for a moment to give her a quick kiss. "You're the best you know."

"You're not so bad yourself," she whispered, smiling at him. "I guess I'll see you all later. Good night, Maddie!"

"Bye Allie," Maddie waved to her. "Don't let the bedbugs bite!"

"Hey Allie," Josh said. "How about I walk you back to your cabin?"

Allison smiled at him. "Oh, that's okay, Josh. It's late. I wouldn't want you to go out of your way."

"It's not a problem," Josh tried not to be too eager.

"That'd be really sweet of you," Allison said. "If you're sure you don't mind..."

"No it's fine," Josh replied. "Is that okay with you Jon?"

"Sure," Jon said, turning around. "Thanks, Josh. You make sure my girl gets home okay."

"I will," he promised as Allison blushed deeply at Jon's words.

Allison and Josh set off for the Longbottom cabin. Josh kept stealing sideways glances at her as they walked, but Allison didn't seem to notice.

"So are you looking forward to going back to school?" Allison asked conversationally.

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "I think this will be a good year."

"I do too," Allison said, smiling at him. "I'm even thinking of trying out for the house team this year. Jon thinks I might have a chance."

"You like Quidditch?" Josh hadn't known that.

Allison nodded. "I do. I was going to try out last year, but you remember how I twisted my ankle, right?"

"I forgot about that," Josh said.

"I wish I could," Allison joked. "But I think I might have a shot this year. Keep your fingers crossed for me."

"Okay," Josh said. "Hey um... I'm glad I got a chance to walk you back. I haven't seen so much of you lately..."

"I'm sorry about that," Allison said sincerely.

"Yeah, it's my own fault though," Josh pushed his hand through his hair.

"It's not," Allison said, putting a hand on his arm. "We should have made more of an effort to include you."

Josh stopped on the path. "Really?"

"Of course," Allison said. "We've been friends since we were kids, Josh."

Josh stared at her, wondering why he had waited so long to realise how he felt about her. "Al..." he whispered. "I want to be more than friends with you."

"What?" Allison said, stopping in her tracks. "W-what did you just say?"

"I like you Allison," Josh said. "I have for awhile. But I haven't realised it until now."

Allison stared at him in disbelief. She couldn't be hearing him right. "Me...You like me? As in fancy me?"

"Yeah," Josh swallowed nervously. "I know this is bad timing and I know that you're with Jon but you and me... we're better suited."

"I-I don't know what to say," she stammered. "You never acted like you did, Josh. Never. You were always...I just don't know what to say."

"I thought I was in love with Julie," Josh replied. "But I'm not, I know that now. I never was."

Allison exhaled sharply and felt as if she was going to pass out just standing in front of him. These were the words she'd been dying to hear from him for so long, but now that he was saying them, she didn't know what to do.

"Jon asked me to be his girlfriend, Josh," Allison heard herself say. "He wants to take me to the Yule Ball this year."

Josh didn't know what to say. He wanted to be angry at his brother, he wanted to hate him for stealing Allie away but he couldn't. "Will you at least give me one chance?" he asked, cupping her chin in his hand

Allison's breath caught in her throat as Josh inched his face closer to hers. As he did, she closed her eyes.

"We can't," Allison said, pulling away from him, right before he could kiss her. "I'm sorry, Josh. I'll see you later."

"Al..." Josh caught her hand. "I know you felt something there."

"Let me go, Josh," Allison said, struggling out of his grasp. With that, she turned and ran toward her cabin.

"Allison!" Josh didn't want to give up.

Allison ran up the steps to the cabin and closed the door on Josh.

He knew none of the Longbottoms were back yet so he knocked on the door.

Allison reluctantly opened the door when it became obvious that he wasn't going to go away anytime soon.

"I don't know what you want from me," she said quietly, leaning against the door.

"A chance," Josh pleaded. "I just finally realised how I feel about you and I can't let it go."

"I've liked you for a long time, too," Allison admitted, looking away. "But, I finally realised that you'd never think of me anyway but as a little sister or something. And...I got to really know Jon and he's sweet and funny and charming...this is so damn complicated, Josh."

"It doesn't have to be," Josh replied.

"How could it not be?" she asked him incredulously.

Josh stared at her. "You can go with me."

Allison opened her mouth to reply to him, but to her relief her family was coming down the path.

"Hello, Josh," Cho said, grinning at him as she and Frankie walked up the steps.

"Hello," he replied. "I guess... I'll go now."

"I think that's a good idea," Allison said quietly.

"Will you at least think about it?" he asked in a low voice.

"Yes," Allison said, nodding. "Good night, Josh."

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" Cho asked, as Allison walked back inside the cabin.

"I'm fine Mum," Allison replied quietly.

"It's late," Cho said, knowing that things weren't fine, but deciding to let it drop for now. When Allison was ready to talk, she'd talk. "You and Frankie should probably get ready for bed."

"I know. Goodnight," Allison went into the bedroom she was sharing with her sister.

*** *** ***

Hermione stuck some sheaves of parchment back into her file folder so it was ready when they returned in a few days. She'd enjoyed her time at Hillsdale and was sorry that the month was already coming to a close. She was setting the folder in her case when Lavender strolled in nonchalantly. "Well... I would say good morning but for you it looks like afternoon already," Hermione teased. "I haven't seen you smile that big in a long time.

"Right," Lavender said, with an embarrassed grin. "I think I'll just go and freshen up."

"Not so fast," Hermione said. "You can't just leave me not knowing what's going on here!"

"Don't you have something important to do?" Lavender asked, as Hermione grabbed her arm and led her back to the couch. "Like shag your husband? I'm sure there's some place in the resort that you and Harry haven't. How about you go check out Ginny and Draco Malfoy's cabin?"

"That's just gross," Hermione pushed her down. "All you told me last night was that you were going out with Seamus and not to wait up."

"And I went out with Seamus," Lavender said trying not to smile as she remembered their romantic dinner.

Hermione glared at her in reply.

"Okay," Lavender said grinning. "He took me to this really nice restaurant in town. We talked for hours, Hermione! It was like old times."

Hermione's face relaxed into a smile. "Talked for hours? That's what Harry and I used to say when we first got together." she shook her head. "You didn't stay up all night talking, I know you too well."

"Well," Lavender said blushing. "Afterwards, we walked back here and I got cold so he let me have his jacket. And he was all set to walk me back to our cabin, but he asked if I wanted to go back to his for a bit and I couldn't say no, could I?"

"Of course not," Hermione said.

"We had the best time, Hermione," Lavender said dreamily. "We laughed and joked like we used to. And we did snog a little..."

"Oh please," Hermione replied. "Snogged a little?"

"A lot," Lavender corrected. "But that's really all we did. Don't look at me like that! It is!"

"And I don't believe a WORD of that," Hermione crossed her arms.

"We may have done a little more than that," Lavender admitted. "But we didn't shag or anything, Hermione. We're taking it slow."

Hermione looked at her a moment before smiling. "That's really great," she said. "I'm happy for you Lav. I knew once you two saw one another again sparks would start flying."

"Me too," Lavender said happily. "And you're not going to believe this! I knew it all along, of course, but Seamus said he didn't. Guess what, Hermione?"

"What?" Hermione asked expectantly.

Lavender scooted closer on the couch and had that look on her face that she always got when she was getting ready to divulge a secret or share some gossip. "Summer Rayne? Those weren't her real boobs and her lips? Complete collagen injections. I mean, come on! It was totally obvious!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "As if I care about that," she laughed. "Honestly Lav."

"Come on, Hermione!" Lavender said, shaking her head. Harry chose that moment to walk out of the bedroom and Lavender winked at her cousin.

"Hey, Harry?" Lavender asked. "What did you think of Summer's breasts?"

"Who?" Harry looked confused.

"Summer Rayne," Lavender said, rolling her eyes. "Seamus' ex? You knew her boobs were fake, didn't you?"

Harry's brow knitted together. "I really didn't look Lavender. I have a perfectly nice, natural set at my disposal," he grinned at his wife.

"Gross," Lavender said scrunching up her nose. "I don't know how Hermione puts up with you."

Harry grinned. "Do you really want an answer to that?"

"No," Lavender said. "That's quite alright. But, even if you didn't notice, which I don't believe for a second, Summer's breasts were not real. And those lips? Complete collagen."

Harry looked completely bemused. "I met her all of once Lavender," he pointed out. "And why do you care anyway?"

"I don't," Lavender said, smugly. "But at least all my equipment is real. Summer's wasn't."

"What about that surgery you had a few years back?" Harry asked.

"What surgery?" Lavender asked.

Harry and Hermione shared a look. "The top secret surgery you didn't say anything about until we saw the stitches?" Hermione asked.

"That was dental surgery!" Lavender hissed at them. "I have never had plastic surgery!"

"Then how come your eyes looked different afterwards?" Harry asked.

"Okay," Lavender said sheepishly. "I may have had a little work done to my eyes, but that's it!"

Harry laughed at her while Hermione shook her head. "I really am happy for you," she said.

"Thank you," Lavender said. "I am too. Now, if you don't mind, I think I'm going to go and take a nice, long bath."

Harry and Hermione watched her go. "What is she so happy about? And what are you happy for?" he asked.

"She and Seamus," Hermione answered. "They're unofficially back together."

"Oh really," Harry's eyebrows shot up. "Since when?"

"Since last night apparently," Hermione replied. "They've been getting closer throughout the holiday and last night, they had a really nice dinner and she stayed at his cabin. But, she says nothing happened other than snogging."

"As if I'll believe that," Harry snorted.

Hermione laughed. "That's what I said."

"Mum?" Ethan asked coming out of his bedroom. He still wore his pyjamas and his hair was dishevelled more than usual. He plonked down on the sofa beside Hermione.

"You look more and more like your dad everyday," Hermione said, smiling at him.

"What are you up to little man?" Harry asked, tousling his son's hair even more.

"Nothing," Ethan answered laughing. "Aunt Lavender woke me up. She was singing in the bath!"

"She's happy," Harry grinned. "For a change."

"I still think she's going to marry that Seamus bloke," Ethan said. "And I think this time, it will count."

Harry and Hermione both laughed. "You may be right love," Hermione said to her son.

"Are we going to the lake today, Dad?" Ethan asked. "You said we could go out on the boat."

"Sure if you'd like," Harry replied. "We can stay out there all afternoon if you want."

"You've come so far, Ethan," Hermione said, putting an arm around him. "A few weeks ago, you didn't even want to go near the water!"

"I know I got really brave," Ethan nodded. "I want to be a Gryffindor!"

"You will be," Harry said, ruffling his hair again. "I don't have any doubts."

"I'm going to get dressed," Ethan jumped off the sofa.

Hermione watched him go and laughed. "He is a chip off the old block."

"Aye," Harry sat back. "He's a good kid."

"Who worships the ground you walk on," Hermione said, cuddling close to him.

"For good reason," Harry replied. "I'm the best," he grinned at his wife.

Hermione shrugged. "You're okay, I guess."

"Excuse me?" Harry poked her side.

Hermione smiled. "You're right. You're right. You're...better than average."

"Hey!" Harry said.

Hermione squealed as Harry started to tickle her.

"Okay," she said laughing. "You're the best. Happy now?"

"Quite," Harry gave her a kiss. "Guess I'd better get my swim costume on."

"Need any help?" Hermione asked cheekily.

"Well if you're offering," Harry pulled on her hand. "I suppose it might be a bit difficult on my own."

"Well, I was hoping you'd help me, too," Hermione said. "You know those ties are always hard to tie by yourself."

Harry leaned in and nibbled on her neck. "That they are," he murmured.

"Now that I think about it," Hermione said, as Harry continued doing what he was doing "You're...absolutely fantastic, Harry."

"Thank you," He replied. "Only the best for you."

*** *** ***

Since it had been such a late night, Ron and Luna decided to have breakfast in their cabin and were busily setting things up when Jon walked out of his bedroom, a wide grin on his face.

"Who are you and what have you done with my son?" Luna asked, as Jon helped himself to some orange juice. "You are never this happy in the morning."

Jon grinned at his mother. "Just had a good night with a great girl," he replied, still unable to get the conversation about Allie being his girlfriend out of his head.

"Something tells me he's not talking about Maddie," Ron teased. "What time did you finally get her to go to sleep?"

"About an hour after we got back," Jon replied.

"Well, if Allison is the reason you're this happy," Luna said. "Remind me to thank her next time I see her."

"Very funny Mum," Jon said, "Yeah she is the reason. I really like her a lot."

"You two looked so adorable last night dancing," Luna said sighing happily.

Jon turned red. "Mum I am NOT adorable," he replied.

"Luna," Ron teased. "You know you never refer to your sons as adorable. Never, ever."

"Thanks Dad," Jon replied, picking RJ up from his chair where he was cooing happily.

"So this is serious, eh?" Ron asked, picking up two muffins.

"I guess," Jon said. "I mean... it's not serious like... if we were out of school you know," he didn't want his parents thinking he and Allie had done things far beyond their age and revoke his dating privileges. "We've been good."

Josh walked out of his bedroom and yawned.

"Look who finally decided to join us," Jon asked as he bounced R.J. on his knee. "Good morning, sunshine."

"Shut up," Josh replied, but it was without the malice that would have normally been dripping from his words. "Morning," he said to his parents.

"Morning, Josh," Ron said, with his mouth full.

"Ronald," Luna chastised.

"What?" he asked cluelessly.

"Thanks for seeing Al home for me last night, mate," Jon said to his brother. "I really appreciate that."

"It's no problem," Josh mumbled, not wanting his brother to guess what had transpired. Granted, Allison had not kissed him, and she hadn't exactly looked thrilled when he told her his feelings, but Josh figured there still might be a slight chance. "Glad to do it."

"This is so nice," Luna said, smiling at her sons. "Seeing you two get along..."

"It sure is," Ron agreed. "I was beginning to think the two of you didn't know how to talk without yelling."

Josh and Jon smiled at each other. "Well... we just figured we weren't showing RJ and the girls the proper example," Jon began saucily.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's it," Luna said, nodding.

"Hey I won't look a gift horse in the mouth," Ron grabbed another muffin.

"Yes, but you'll certainly stuff yours, right Dad?" Jon teased.

"Right," Ron took a large bite.

"So, do you have big plans for today, Jon?" Luna asked. "Planning on seeing Allie?"

"Later on," Jon nodded as he broke off tiny bits of a banana muffin to feed to RJ. "I'll go by the cabin. At least her dad stopped giving me the dirty looks."

"Since you made it official?" Luna asked. When Jon looked at her surprised, Luna grinned. "I'm sorry, Jon. Cho told me!"

"Yeah," Jon turned red again. "We made it official the other day." he smiled.

"You what?" Josh asked.

"Allie's my girlfriend," Jon was unaware of the look on his brother's face.

Josh stared at him in disbelief. Allison hadn't mentioned this last night.

"And they're going to the Yule Ball," Luna squealed.

"Merlin's beard, Mum!" Jon exclaimed. "You know everything, don't you?"

"I can't help it that Cho can't keep a secret," Luna replied.

"Good for you," Ron nodded, working on his 5th muffin. "Allie's a sweet girl."

"I didn't know you two were so serious," Josh said weakly.

Jon shrugged as he fed RJ more muffin. "We'll see where it goes," he replied. "I'm having fun being with her."

"Just fun?" Josh asked. He'd been counting on the fact that this wasn't very serious and in the long run, it wouldn't take Jon very long to get over it.

"I really like her," Jon looked at his brother properly. "And she said she really likes me too."

"She said that?" Josh asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Yeah the other day," Jon laughed as RJ grinned up at him.

It made sense, Josh suddenly thought. That was the reason why she hadn't kissed him last night. That was the reason she had acted so conflicted last night.

"Josh?" Luna asked. "Aren't you going to eat anything?"

Josh shook his head. "I'm not hungry, Mum."

"I am!" Drew had come into the room.

"That's what we like to hear!" Ron said, hugging her.

"There's no more banana muffins!" Drew said, looking at the empty plate. "Daddy! You know those are my favourites!"

"I'm sorry sweetheart," Ron said apologetically.

"I saved you one," Luna said, producing one for Drew. She glared at Ron.

"Thanks, Mum!" Drew said, happily taking the muffin.

"What?" Ron asked.

"You polished off six muffins in the span of five minutes," Luna said. "That's what."

"I'm hungry!" Ron replied.

"Me too!" Maddie said, bounding into the room in her pyjamas. She looked at the table and frowned. "Daddy ate all my muffins again, didn't he?"

"I saved your chocolate chip ones," Luna produced another plate.

"How much food do you have hidden?" Ron asked.

"Enough to feed our children with Ron," Luna said,

"You okay, Josh?" Jon asked. His brother had a far-away expression on his face.

"What?" he jumped. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" he asked quickly.

"I don't know," Jon asked good naturedly. "Maybe because you looked like you were a million miles away?"

Josh shrugged. "Guess I am." he said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to school."

"We're still on summer hols, Josh," Jon said.

"I like school," Josh said defensively.

"I'm looking forward to school, too," Jon said smiling at R.J. "Don't look so surprised, Josh. I am."

"Only cause you get to take Allie to the Yule Ball," Josh muttered.

"Not only that," Jon admitted. "But that is a big part of it."

Josh couldn't take listening to his brother talk about Allie anymore. "I'm going to take a shower," he said, getting up.

Luna walked over to her son and put a hand on his shoulder. "Josh? Is everything okay, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine Mum," Josh forced a smile on his face. "I didn't sleep well that's all."

"Okay," she said, giving his a sympathetic smile. "If you need to talk though, I'm here."

"Thanks," Josh got up and left the room.

"I'm going to get dressed too," Jon handed RJ off to his father.

"Okay," Ron said, his mouth still full of chocolate chip muffin.

"Daddy you ate my last muffin!" Maddie put her hands on her hips.

"No, I didn't," Ron said, trying to talk without opening his mouth. He swallowed. "Maybe it was Dolly."

"Dolly's in her cage," Maddie said.

Luna shook her head. "You're caught Ron."

"I'm sorry," Ron said sheepishly. "I'll make it up to you, Maddie. I promise."

"I want chocolate ice cream," Maddie said sternly.

"How about if Daddy pays for it," Luna said, picking her daughter up. "And Mummy takes you to go and get it? Because we know if Daddy goes, he'll just eat yours, don't we?"

"Hey," Ron said. "I do not eat everyone's ice cream!"

"You ate my muffins," Maddie pointed out.

"But sweetheart," Ron picked her up. "Muffins aren't ice cream."

"I don't even want to hear it," Maddie said.

Luna turned away to hide her laughter.

"Sweetheart," Ron toyed with his daughter's blonde curls.

"Chocolate ice cream, Daddy," Maddie said. "Okay?"

"Chocolate ice cream," Ron nodded. "And I won't touch a bite of it, I promise."

"Yeah, right," Drew teased her father.

"Hey now," Ron said. "How about ice cream for everyone? And I won't eat anyone's but my own!"

"Better," Drew said.

"Well..." Ron set Maddie down. "Soon as all of you get dressed we can go!"

"That might take some time," Luna said grinning at him.

"It always does," Ron said happily.

*** *** ***

Nick was looking forward to meeting Julie that afternoon- they'd only had a few minutes together the previous night as they were both rather tired after the struggles in the ballroom between their families and had decided to get together in their cove early that afternoon instead.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show," Julie said, smiling at him as he swam towards the cove.

"Sorry," he pulled himself up onto the shore. "Had a bit of trouble getting away from my mother."

She nodded and handed him a towel. "How are things?"

"Okay," he shrugged as he dried off. "I can't stand being around them anymore."

"Only a few more days," Julie said, standing on her tiptoes and kissing him.

"I know," Nick replied as he put his arms around her. "It's just never easy with them."

"So what did you do last night?" Julie asked, hoping to take his mind off his parents. "I'm sorry about last night. We were both knackered."

"I know I was exhausted," Nick gave her another little kiss. "Actually... I rang Greta back at home in Australia."

"Yeah?" Julie asked. "Did you tell her about me?"

"I did," Nick smiled at her as they spread their towels out and sat down. "She says she can't wait to meet you."

"I can't wait to meet her," Julie said, grinning. "Hey, you know what? You should invite her to spend Christmas with all of us at the Burrow!"

"She's coming back with me," Nick said. "I didn't tell her about what's been going on, about my parents using her to keep me in their clutches."

"Does she have any family of her own?" Julie asked, wanting to know more about the woman who'd raised her boyfriend.

"She had a husband but he died back before I was born," Nick replied. "She never had any kids."

"Yes she did," Julie said, putting a hand on his arm. "She had you."

"Well I was her unofficial kid," Nick smiled. "Know what she told me?"

"What?"

"That anyone who could make me sound so happy was fine by her," Nick brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. "You make me happy Julie."

"I do?" Julie asked, pressing her cheek into his palm.

"You do," Nick said softly.

"You make me happy, too," Julie whispered. "More than I thought was possible."

Nick smiled before leaning in to kiss her.

They fell back onto the towels and kissed for quite some time. When they finally came up for air, Julie nestled herself in the crook of Nick's arm.

"My parents took Ethan out on a boat today," she said conversationally. "I wish we could have gone with them."

"He's certainly gotten over his fear," Nick replied.

"He has," Julie said. "Thanks in no small part to you."

"I'm glad to help," Nick ran his hand up and down her arm.

"I can't wait for you to get to meet my friends back home, too," Julie said. "And hopefully, I'll get that teaching job I want, too."

"Everything will fall into place," Nick smiled at her. "I can't wait to move to London."

"What a coincidence," she said, grinning at him. "I can't wait for you to move to London, too."

He laughed. "Going to show me off are you?" he teased.

"Trust me," Julie said. "I will have nothing on Molly Weasley. She's going to be over the moon about you coming home."

"She's great," Nick thought about his maternal grandmother. "They've all made me feel like a part of their family within just a few minutes of meeting them."

"That's the way they are," Julie said. "And even with how they feel about your dad, they would have done everything in their power to make him feel at home. They'd have done it for your mum."

"I know," Nick replied. "That's what makes me so sick about this. There's no reason for my parents to be as horrible as they have been."

"I know," Julie said. "And as much as I don't like them and what they've done. I'm glad they were here because it brought you and I together."

"The silver lining," Nick laughed.

"I think I'll hold off on giving them my thanks," Julie joked.

"Good idea," he said.

"I've had enough talking," Julie said softly. "How about you?"

"More than enough," Nick reached for her.

On the shore a little while later, Ginny was trying to get some sun, but Draco wasn't making it easy on her. For one thing, he kept pacing in front of her lounge chair.

"Do you know where he is?" Draco asked her.

"No and I don't care," Ginny had had enough of her son's behaviour and after his vicious words the night before she'd given up hope of ever being close with him. She had Draco with her and that was all that mattered.

"You were supposed to be watching him," Draco pointed out. "I wanted to talk to him about starting up classes at University. I pulled some strings to get the ungrateful brat in and he stands me up. You're so careless sometimes, Red."

Ginny lowered her sunglasses. "He'll show up sooner or later, so why don't you just sit down and get some sun on that pasty posterior of yours?" she laughed at her little joke.

Draco didn't laugh, but he did sit down beside his wife. "We've been far too lenient with him. It's time we got down to business."

"What do you suggest we do?" Ginny asked lazily.

"I don't know," Draco said, reaching for his sunglasses. As he did so, he caught sight of his son coming out of the water hand in hand with Julie Potter.

"We'll I'll be," Ginny drawled.

"What the hell is that?" Draco asked, glaring at his wife. "Did you know about this?"

Ginny shrugged. "He was seeing her earlier this holiday but I thought you put a stop to that."

"So did I," Draco asked, watching as Nick looked around before giving Julie a chaste kiss goodbye. "I think I'm going to be sick."

"Obviously he doesn't see us," Ginny said. They were rather concealed behind some bushes. She made a face as her son kissed that Potter girl more deeply.

"This is going to stop," Draco said sternly. "And it's going to stop today."

Ginny smiled at her husband. "I love it when you're angry and determined."

"Well, you haven't seen anything yet," Draco said, watching as Julie walked away from Nick. "You haven't seen anything yet, Red."

*** *** ***

Jon was practically floating on air as he walked toward the Longbottom cabin. He was going to ask Allison is she wanted to join the Weasleys for dinner that evening. As he approached the Longbottom cabin, he didn't see anyone at first. The front door burst open and Frankie came out, looking upset about something.

"Can't I listen, please?" Frankie said. Chiaki and Allison followed and Jon resisted the urge to wave and make his presence known.

"If you promise to be quiet and let Allie talk," Chiaki said, sitting down on the porch swing. "We'll let you stay here. Okay, Frankie?"

Frankie nodded eagerly and sat down on the swing.

Chiaki put arm over her sister's shoulders. "All right, tell us what's on your mind. You've been looking troubled all morning."

Jon frowned. He had a feeling that he shouldn't be eavesdropping on something like this, but if something was bothering Allison, perhaps he could help.

"It's just so complicated," Allison said with a sigh.

"What is?" Chiaki asked her. "Come on, Allie. Tell us."

"It's about Jon," Allison said quietly. "And Josh... I'm not sure what to do."

Josh? Jon thought. What would Josh have to do with anything?

"I thought you weren't still hung up on Josh," Chiaki asked quietly. "I mean, you're dating Jon."

"I know," Allison fidgeted with a strand of hair. Her voice grew even quieter. "When Josh walked me home... he told me he fancies me. Why did he say it now?"

Jon strained to hear her voice and he knew if he left his hiding place now he'd risk being seen so he stayed put and hoped she'd talk louder.

"It's just that... I've fancied Josh for so long," Allison continued. "And the way he was looking at me made a few of those old feelings flare up..."

"I thought he was in lurrrve with Julie," Frankie interjected. Both her sisters glared at her.

"Frankie? Quiet, remember?" Chiaki asked her younger sister.

"I know," Frankie said sheepishly. "But he was!"

"Was," Allison nodded. "He told me doesn't think of her that way anymore. And any fool can see that Nick and Julie are head over heels for one another."

"That's true," Chiaki said. "But, Al. Jon really fancies you. I saw how he was with you that night we all went out."

Allison smiled. "That's what I'm hoping you'll help me figure out Chi."

"Well, I'll try," Chiaki said gently. "But I can't tell you which one you fancy more. That's up to you to decide. Either way, one of them is going to be hurt."

Jon felt the bottom of his stomach drop out. Allie fancied Josh?

"I've liked Josh for so long," Allison told her sisters. "Since we were kids. I never in a million years thought he'd like me, too. Last night when he told me, I didn't know what to do or say..."

Jon backed away quietly and turned and ran so he didn't have to hear anymore.

"Well... I guess what we have to think about here is who makes you feel happier," Chiaki replied. "Who do you feel like yourself with?"

Allison looked thoughtfully at Chiaki. "Jon."

"Who makes you laugh?" Chiaki smiled at her sister.

"Jon," Allison said with a grin. "He's really funny, Chi. We always have the best time together."

"Who did you go and snog in the theatre?" Frankie asked mischievously, her legs swinging.

"Frankie!" Allison giggled, playfully swatting at her sister.

"You did, Allie!" Frankie said, grinning.

"Well, I'm not the smartest girl in the world," Chiaki said. "But I think the answer should be obvious, don't you, Al?"

"Yeah," Allison smiled. "And it didn't even take that long to figure out either."

"See?" Chiaki teased. "You're the smartest one in the family, aren't you?"

"Maybe," Allison grinned at her sisters. "Thanks you guys, for hearing me out."

"It's what sisters do," Chiaki said. "I'm glad to help. How many times did I talk about Toshio with you?"

"All the time," Allison laughed.

"You never talk about him with me!" Frankie pouted.

"I would," Chiaki teased. "If you didn't want to know so much. I still have nightmares about how you used to hide behind the sofa to catch us snogging."

Allison laughed. "She spies on the boys in the loo at Hogwarts as well."

"I DO NOT!" Frankie protested. "That was Caroline Davies. Not me!"

"You were with her!" Allison said. "I caught you both red handed!"

"She...she made me do it," Frankie said, her cheeks beet red.

"Yeah, I'm sure she did," Chiaki said sarcastically. "I think you might want to give up on trying to follow in dad's footsteps as an Auror, Frankie. You're spying skills leave something to be desired."

"You're not funny Chiaki," Frankie crossed her arms. "If Mum and Dad would let me have a boyfriend--"

"You're 12!" Allison interjected. "No one dates at 12, Frankie. Chiaki didn't. I didn't. Julie didn't."

Frankie obviously wasn't pleased with this answer as Chiaki and Allison grinned at each other. "It's just not fair."

"It never is," Chiaki said, putting an arm around Frankie. "But tell me, Frankie. Is there any boy that you do fancy?"

"There's a whole bunch," Frankie said eagerly.

"Like who?" Chiaki asked. "Oliver Wood?"

Frankie grinned and Allison couldn't help but laugh. "Who DOESN'T fancy Oliver Wood?"

"Exactly," Chiaki said. "Even if he is our parents' age...the bloke is hot."

Allison laughed again. "Listen I'm going to go find Jon okay?"

"To snog?" Frankie teased.

"Wouldn't you like to know, blabbermouth," Allison got up. "Thanks again."

"Good luck," Chiaki said, watching Allison walk away.

Allison walked towards the Weasley cabin with a bounce in her step. She couldn't wait to see Jon and she would talk to Josh as well and tell him where they stood. She hummed a little as she knocked on the door.

Drew answered the door. "Hi, Allie!"

"Hey Drew," she grinned at the little girl. "Are your um... brothers here?"

"Josh went swimming," Drew replied. "And Jon's in his bedroom."

"Oh," Allison was relieved that Josh wasn't there. "Do you think he'd mind if I talked to him?"

"I wouldn't see why not," Drew said, standing back so Allison could come inside. "You are his girlfriend after all, right?"

Allison turned red. "Yes," she ruffled Drew's hair.

Drew led Allison to Jon's bedroom and knocked on the door. "Jon! Your girlfriend's here!"

Allison blew out a deep breath. "Thanks Drew," she replied. "I don't think they heard you back home."

"You're welcome," Drew said, grinning at her before turning around and heading for her own bedroom.

"What are you doing here?" Jon asked coolly when he opened the door.

Allison was surprised at his tone. "Why wouldn't I want to come by?" she asked.

"Josh isn't here," Jon said, folding his arms. "I saw him down by the lake on my back here. If you hurry, you might be able to catch him."

She looked at him, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I thought you really liked me, Allison," Jon said, trying to keep his emotions in check. He didn't want her to know how much what he'd overheard earlier had hurt him. "But, I guess you were just using me to make Josh jealous, eh? Well, mission accomplished. Glad I could help."

"I really do like you!" Allison exclaimed.

"What happened last night when Josh walked you home," Jon asked her, ignoring what she'd just said.

Allison bit her lower lip. "Nothing happened," she said, which was true.

"Right," Jon said sarcastically. At that moment, Josh came back inside the cabin. He froze in his tracks when he saw Allison and Jon. "Well, isn't this just great. There he is, Allison. I hope the two of you will be very happy together. I'm glad I could play a part in getting the two of you together."

With that, Jon slammed his bedroom door.

"What's going on?" Josh asked weakly.

"I don't know," Allison's eyes suddenly filled with tears.

For a moment, Josh felt hopeful that this meant what he thought it did. Allison had come here to tell Jon that she fancied Josh and that she'd hoped that she and Jon could still be friends. But, the look on his brother's face, didn't leave Josh feeling very happy.

"Allie?" Josh tried again. "What's going on?"

"He thinks..." Allison's voice shook. "He thinks I was using him to make you jealous. I wouldn't do that!" she began to cry.

Josh stared at her, wondering if he should try and comfort her. "Allie, you really do like him, don't you?"

"Yes," she whimpered, sitting on the sofa.

"I didn't say anything to him about what happened last night, Al," Josh said, taking a few tentative steps toward her. "This morning, he was so happy about you and Mum and Dad were teasing him."

Josh sank down onto an armchair and put his head in his hands. "I've really cocked things up, haven't I?"

Allison didn't say anything for a moment. "Josh I don't want to hurt you..." she began.

"I know," Josh said, putting a hand up. "I waited too long. I shouldn't have said anything to you. I didn't think the two of you were that serious, Allison. I-I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Allison said. "I just wish he'd let me explain. I don't know where he got the idea that I was using him from."

"He was going to see you earlier," Josh said quietly. "We'd all gone into town for some ice cream and when we got back, he asked Mum if he could invite you to dinner with us."

Allison rubbed at her eyes. "I don't know what to do," she said quietly.

"I could talk to him for you," Josh said, getting up from his seat and walking over to sit beside her on the sofa. "Try and explain that last night it was all me. You didn't do anything."

"Do you think he'll listen?" she asked hopefully.

"It's worth a shot," Josh said. He looked at Allison sympathetically. "I really am sorry, Allie. I'm an idiot."

Allison managed a tremulous smile. "You're also a really good friend Josh. I imagine you're sick of hearing that but it's true."

"Well, at least you didn't tell me that you think of me like the brother you never had," Josh said, trying to lighten the mood. "That would have been the kiss of death."

Despite herself, Allison laughed. "Then I guess I better go before I say something I'll regret." she got up as did he, and after a momentary pause, she kissed him on the cheek. "I hope he'll listen. You'll tell him how I feel, won't you?"

"Yeah," Josh said, smiling reassuringly at her. "He really does like you, Allison. You should have seen him in here this morning. I've never seen him talk like that about anyone."

"Well I hope it's not too late," she replied softly. "Thanks again Josh. I know this can't be easy for you."

"I'm sort of getting used to it," Josh deadpanned. "Two rejections in one holiday. It doesn't get better than that."

"You'll find a girl someday and you'll wonder why you ever wanted me and Julie," Allison said.

"Yes, and I'll never introduce her to any male member of my family," Josh joked. "Until after we're married, of course."

"Right," she got up. "I'll see you later then?"

"Yes," Josh said, giving her a hug. "I'll do what I can with Jon, Allie. I promise."

"Thank you," she rested her head on his shoulder a moment before pulling away and heading out the door.

Josh stared at the closed bedroom door and hesitated for a moment before going inside. Jon was sitting on the bed, listening to some Muggle headphones on a portable CD player. He glared at his brother as Josh walked inside.

"Mind if I have a quick word?" Josh asked.

"Actually I do," Jon turned to look in the other direction. "Why aren't you out snogging my girlfriend? Oh wait, I'm sorry. She's yours now isn't she?" he scoffed and sat back.

"No," Josh said calmly. "She's yours. She never was mine, Jon."

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes.

Josh sat down on the edge of his brother's bed. "Look, Allison may have fancied me before, but you know what, Jon? I was too blind to see it. She finally gave up on me and she started seeing you. I won't lie to you, Jon. I do like her. But, she doesn't like me. She wants to be with you. She told me so herself. If I really wanted to be with her, do you think I'd be in here convincing you to give her another chance?"

Jon turned up the volume on the CD player to drown out his brother's voice.

"Okay," Josh said, seeing that now probably wasn't the best time to talk. "I guess you need some time to cool off."

Jon glared at him. "Yeah, go out and have a nice snog at my expense."

Josh ignored the comment and left the room. In the span on one holiday, he'd managed to be rejected by two girls and he'd alienated his twin brother. If it could get worse, he didn't want to know.