Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well we have a nice long chapter for you guys today- we think you'll be pleased with what comes out of this one ;) at least much more than the last one! As always, please take a few seconds to let us know what you think- we both thrive on feedback!

The World Outside - The Devlins

Your light in my dreams
Light up my skin
You're so far away
You're holding it in
I'm looking around
Watching it spin
Got my world outside
It's changing
Something within

*** *** ***

Lavender sat on the floor of Seamus' cabin with her sketchbook in her lap. Seamus was talking to his assistant on his mobile. Talking was an understatement, Lavender thought to herself. She could just picture his poor assistant holding the phone away from her ear so she wouldn't take the full brunt of his tirade.

"And I've already said that no one can do this better than Summer," Seamus replied. "I don't want to be difficult but this is how it has to be."

Lavender frowned at the mention of Seamus' ex. But, from what Seamus said, the girl was a good actress. At the moment, Lavender was more amused at his comment about not wanting to be difficult.

"I'm not coming back straightaway," Seamus replied. "Taryn you told me yourself that you were glad I was taking a holiday." he paused for a moment. "And I am not being any more a tyrant than I normally am." Lavender burst out laughing at his comment.

She bit her lip to try and stop her laughter.

"Sorry," she mouthed to him between giggles.

"I'll be back in a few weeks," Seamus replied. "And I'm sure you miss me right Taryn?" he laughed in reply.

Lavender went back to her sketches and waited patiently for him to finish his phone call.

"So you saw that extra bit in your pay did you?" Seamus asked smugly. "Told you I appreciate you."

Lavender grinned. Seamus was a notorious taskmaster, but he also rewarded those who worked as hard as he did. It was one of his qualities that she admired so much.

"So I'll see you in a few weeks." Seamus said. "Right Taryn. Thanks." he clicked off his phone. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay," Lavender said, looking up from her sketchpad. "I was amused."

"Oh were you?" Seamus slid down next to her. "Why are you sitting down here anyways?

"It's comfortable," Lavender said, leaning against the bed. "Don't you remember? I used to do this all the time at your flat."

Seamus smiled as he recalled those days. "Feels so long ago sometimes yet other times I still feel as if it was yesterday."

"I know what you mean," Lavender said with a smile. "I couldn't help overhearing that you plan on staying a little longer."

"Well... for Julie's party," Seamus said. "It's good being over here again. I didn't realise how much I've missed it here." he moved closer to her. "I also plan on staying for you, Ms. Brown."

Lavender had hoped that she may have played some part in his decision to extend his holiday. "You do realise that there will probably be dancing at Julie's party, don't you? As I recall, you used to hate it when I made you dance with me."

"Aye and I still have two left feet," Seamus replied.

"You weren't that bad," Lavender teased.

"And I think I've gotten worse," Seamus said.

"Come on, Seamus," Lavender said. "You must have gone to how many parties in Hollywood? You had to have danced at those, didn't you?"

"I managed to avoid it," Seamus said smugly. "I don't hang around actors all day and not have something to show for it."

Lavender grinned and closed her sketchpad. Her eyes lit up as an idea came to her. She held out her hand to help him to his feet. "Come on, Finnigan. Let's see how bad you still are."

"No," Seamus protested as she pulled him up. "Lav come on..."

"I have to know if you're going to embarrass me at Julie's party," Lavender said, going over to his bedside table and turning on the clock radio. She scanned through the stations until she found a suitable song.

Seamus stood unwillingly in the middle of the room. "We don't HAVE to dance at her party," he said.

"Yes we do," Lavender said, crooking her finger at him. "Come on, Finnigan. You know I'm going to get my way in the end. Why do you even bother fighting?"

He groaned as she tugged on his hands. "I'm not doing any fancy moves."

"Do you know how to do any fancy moves?" Lavender asked teasingly.

"No," he replied.

"Okay then," Lavender said. "Come on, Seamus. Loosen up."

Seamus allowed her to place his hands on her hips. "What do you want me to do?"

"Move," Lavender instructed. "Look like you're having a good time."

Seamus tried to imitate her movements but only wound up stepping on her foot instead. "Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"It's okay," Lavender said, wincing. "I'm lucky I decided against the pedicure this morning."

Seamus kept trying to move like she did but it was fruitless. After stepping on her toes three more times he pulled away. "You're going to have to leave here on crutches."

"It's okay," she reassured him. "It wasn't that bad, Seamus. I had an ulterior motive for asking you to dance with me. I wanted to be in your arms again."

"Well you don't need an ulterior motive for that," he grinned at her.

"Why didn't you tell me that before you stomped all over my toes?" she asked.

"Payback?" Seamus asked mischievously.

"Wanker," Lavender said shoving him.

"Come over here and say that," Seamus said, lying on his back on the bed.

"Now, who has the ulterior motive?" she asked, but did as she was told.

Seamus pulled her on top of him. "Are you complaining?" he asked huskily.

"No," she said looking down at him. "No complaints from me."

"Right," he tugged on her arm, pulling her down so he could kiss her.

"Hmmm," Lavender purred when they pulled apart. "I always did like it when you did that."

"And this?" he nibbled down her neck. "Still like that?"

"I still love that," she breathed.

"Good," he kissed her again on the mouth, rolling them over so she was underneath him now.

"Merlin, I've missed you," Lavender whispered.

"Can you believe this?" he asked stroking her hair. "That we're back together?"

"We never should have been apart," Lavender said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"No more of that," Seamus put a finger on her lips. "Let's let bygones be bygones."

Lavender smiled up at him. "I love you, Seamus. I always have and I always will."

"Same here," Seamus said softly before leaning in to kiss her again. "Hey close your eyes a minute."

Lavender wondered what he was getting at, but decided to go with it and closed her eyes as he asked.

"I don't want you to think you have to read too much into this," he sat up and reached into the bedside drawer. "I've carried this with me since I left England. I always take it with me when I travel." he opened the jewellery box and took out a lovely amethyst and diamond ring. "This has always been yours," he slid it onto her finger.

Lavender felt her breath catch in her throat as she opened her eyes and looked at the ring. She was speechless as she looked from him to the ring.

"It's...it's beautiful," she finally managed to say.

"I bought it because it reminded me of you," Seamus said softly.

"I can't believe you kept this all these years," she whispered.

"Yeah well..." Seamus gave her an embarrassed smile. "There were a few times I wanted to get rid of it, especially right after we ended things. But something told me to hang onto it. I'm glad I did."

"Me too," Lavender said, touching his cheek. "So I know you said that I didn't have to read too much into this, but does this mean what I think it does?"

"If you want it to," he said nervously.

"I haven't had the best track record in the marriage department," Lavender said quietly. "You could do a lot better than me."

"I'll be the judge of that," Seamus stroked her cheek.

Lavender smiled. She didn't think she deserved a second chance after all that she'd done to him and the years that her stubbornness had cost them.

"Well, if you're asking," she said, tears shining in her eyes. "Then my answer would be yes."

"Then I'm asking..." he whispered. "Marry me Lav?"

"Yes," she said happily. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

He laughed as she launched herself on top of him, kissing him passionately. Their clothes were flung to the floor several minutes later.

Lavender hadn't felt this happy or complete in years. She was going to marry the only man she'd ever loved. She kissed him soundly. "This wasn't some ulterior motive of yours to get me into bed, was it?" she asked with a wide grin. "Because you wouldn't have had to try so hard."

Seamus laughed. "I didn't plan any of that my dear," he replied.

"You do realise we'll have to dance at our wedding, don't you?" she teased.

"Guess you'd better start showing me a few moves now then," Seamus said. "Well not now... maybe in awhile after we're finished in here."

"You won't be able to move after we're finished in here," Lavender said, nuzzling his neck.

"That goes double for you love," He ran his hands through her hair.

"Welcome home, Seamus."

"Welcome back Lavender."

*** *** ***

Dinner that night was a fun affair for the adults, but where all the younger people were sitting it was rather tense. Chiaki had filled Julie in on what had happened that afternoon with Allison and Jon was studiously ignoring everyone, choosing instead to stare moodily at either the floor or the ceiling.

Julie had brought her party list to the table and Chiaki was currently helping her write down everyone that was planning to attend.

"Don't forget to put Luke and Anna down," Hermione called out to her daughter. "She sent an owl the other day. They're going to bring Lizzy down with them."

"Okay Mum," Julie said, writing down the names. "It'll be good to see them. Since they relocated to Glasgow we hardly hear from them anymore."

"Lizzy's around 16 now, isn't she?" Chiaki asked.

"She's in Ravenclaw," Allison answered softly.

Jon looked over at her, surprised to hear her voice. When she caught his gaze, he looked away.

Luna laughed and poked Josh in the side. "Do you remember how the two of you used to play together when you were little?"

"No," Josh replied. "Not really..."

"You were only four at the time," Luna said. "Don't you try and seek her out at school?"

Josh shook his head. "She's in another house, Mum."

"It's not that hard to see your friends in other houses," Ron replied.

Josh shrugged.

"Mum?" Jon asked icily. "Could you ask Josh to pass the dinner rolls?"

Luna stared at Jon. "You can't ask him? He's sitting right across from you, Jon."

"No," Jon said, glaring at his brother. "I'm afraid he'll want them once he knows that I do."

Allison bit her lower lip at Jon's words and she grabbed the basket and passed them over to him.

Jon's hand brushed hers as he took the basket and their eyes locked again. "Um, thanks," Jon said taking the basket and looking away.

"Sure," she replied softly, hoping he would agree to talk with her after dinner.

"Well, look who has finally decided to grace us with their presence," Hermione said, as Lavender and Seamus walked into the restaurant arm-in-arm.

"Sod off Hermione," Lavender replied. "We were busy."

"Is that what you kids are calling it these days?" Cho teased.

"Call what?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah, what?" Maddie asked. She and Ethan were sharing a box of crayons and drawing while they waited for dinner to be served. When the adults brushed their question off, Maddie and Ethan sighed in frustration. Maddie jumped out of her chair and grabbed her paper. She walked around the table to Harry.

"Here, Uncle Harry," she said, handing it to him. "It's a bunny rabbit. Daddy says that's your favourite."

Everyone laughed as Harry turned red. "Well thank you Maddie," Harry pulled her onto his lap and kissed her cheek. "Did you hear what your Daddy's favourite thing is? A big hairy spider?"

Maddie shook her head. "Daddy's scared of spiders. He's a bit of a baby about them, don't you think?"

"I agree," Harry nodded as Ron sputtered indignantly.

Julie laughed and was about to go back to her list when a bright sparkle on her aunts ring finger caught her eye. "Aunt Lav!" she gasped.

"What?" Lavender asked nonchalantly. She and Seamus had made a wager that Lavender wouldn't be able to keep quiet about this. In an effort to prove him wrong, she hadn't burst into the restaurant yelling the news to everyone. She had wanted to do that so badly, but money and a massage were on the line so she'd kept in control.

"What's that on your finger?" Julie asked, her eyes wide.

"Just a ring," Lavender said, beaming at Julie.

"Just a ring?" Hermione asked sceptically.

"Well, if you want to get technical about it," Lavender said smiling at her cousin. "It's an engagement ring. Would you mind passing the dinner rolls?"

"Wait just one minute!" Hermione replied. "You're ENGAGED?"

"YES WE ARE!" Lavender squealed unable to keep quiet any longer.

"And thank you Hermione and Julie," Seamus grinned. "I just won ten quid and a massage."

"I held out longer than you thought I would, didn't I?" Lavender asked him.

"A bit I suppose," Seamus leaned in and gave her a peck on the lips.

"When did this happen?" Luna asked, smiling dreamily at her friends.

"This afternoon," Lavender replied. "He took me completely by surprise of course."

"So he is going to be the third then?" Harry teased.

"First Harry," Lavender gave him a dirty look. "The other two-"

"Didn't count," Seamus finished for her.

"Well you know what they say," Hermione said, winking at her cousin. "Third time is the charm."

"Right," Lavender said. She held out her hand so everyone could see. "Isn't it gorgeous?" she asked proudly.

"It is," Julie said with an admiring look at the ring. "So have you set a date yet?"

"No not yet," Lavender replied. "We still have a few things to figure out first."

"Well hopefully this time you'll make sure your friends and family are present for this wedding that will count," Julie teased. "No eloping, okay?"

Lavender smiled back at her niece. "We'll see," she said, leaning against Seamus. "I promise you that you'll all be there at the very least."

"Great," Hermione said, raising her glass. "To Seamus and Lavender!"

Everyone echoed the sentiment as Lavender blushed. "Thank you everyone," she said.

Julie smiled at her aunt and looked back down at her list. Chiaki looked over her friend's shoulder. "This is quite a guest list, Jules. Then again, you only turn 20 once."

"Well I blame my mum," Julie replied. "She's added half these people herself. They're people from the Ministry. And then Dad had to put on some of his fellow Aurors... and then there was also someone who decided she wanted me to invite her entire ballet company..." she glared good naturedly at Chiaki.

"At least you know them," Chiaki said defensively. She looked down at the list. "Since when have you ever met someone named Beatrice Pine?"

"She works with my Mum," Julie said, swatting her friend away.

"Right," Chiaki said dryly. "We'll have to go shopping once we get back to London. We both need something new for this party." she looked over at her sister who was staring at Jon. "Hey Al, want to go shopping with me and Jules when we get back?"

"What?" Allison said distractedly.

"Hello..." Chiaki waved her hand. "Shopping for the party for new robes to wear?"

"Oh," Allison said blushing. "Yeah, that sounds like fun."

"Allison?" Neville asked, looking at his daughter. "Sweetheart, are you okay? You've not seemed yourself all day."

"I'm all right Dad," Allison replied quietly. "Just got a lot on my mind is all."

Neville looked at Jon who was stealing glances at his daughter and felt anger rise up in him. As if sensing this, Cho patted her husband's knee under the table.

"Leave it, Nev," Cho whispered. "Please?"

Neville relaxed at her look and sat back in his chair. "It's going to be hard getting back into work after having so much time off." he said, purposefully changing the subject.

"You're telling me," Hermione agreed. "I don't even want to think about going back to work."

"Hermione Potter?" Ron asked. "You? You of all people aren't looking forward to going back to work?"

"I've gotten her distracted," Harry said proudly.

"Since day one," Hermione said, resting her head on his shoulder.

As if on cue all the adults rolled their eyes at once. "Poster couple of the year," Lavender muttered.

Julie grinned. "Speaking of couples...will you be coming with Aunt Lav to my party, Seamus?"

"Of course I will," Seamus smiled at her. "I've decided to stay on in London for a little while longer. I can put off my picture until I get back. That's the only good thing about negotiations."

"I think she's got such a large guest list so she can get loads of presents," Josh teased, smirking at Julie.

"You stuff it Josh Weasley, and you'd better get me one yourself," Julie teased back.

"I've already bought it," Josh called out to her. "And I'm not telling you what it is so don't even bother asking."

"Well make sure you tell Aunt Cho," Julie said. "So I can get it out of her later."

"I'm not that stupid," Josh said. When he felt his brother glaring at him again, he sighed and leaned back in his chair.

Allison tapped Jon on the shoulder. "Would you mind going for a walk after dinner? I'd really like to talk to you..."

"I'm busy," Jon said coolly.

"Please," Allison said softly. "I really think we need to talk."

"I have to read Maddie a story," Jon looked directly at her. "It's nice that at least one female around here prefers me to Josh."

"That's not true," Allison said, biting back her tears. "I want to be with you, Jon. Not Josh."

"Right," Jon got up abruptly.

Allison pushed back from her chair and walked over to her mother. "Mum? Would it be okay if I went back to the cabin? I'm really not feeling well."

"Are you sure sweetheart?" Cho asked concernedly. "I'm really worried about you..."

"Yeah," Allison said nodding her head. "I'm fine."

"Jon since you're leaving why don't you walk her back," Ron said.

"Dad," Jon opened his moth to protest, but his father looked at him sternly. "Okay. Fine."

Allison shared a look with Chiaki as she grabbed her jumper off the back of the chair. Jon kept himself a step ahead of her as they went outside. "You know, you can actually walk with me," she was surprised at how bitter her voice was.

"We both know that's not what you want," Jon said angrily.

"And how would you know?" she countered. "You won't even try and talk to me!"

"We're talking now," Jon said quietly.

"That's not what I mean and you know it," Allison said, fighting her tears back again.

Jon stopped walking and looked at her properly. He could see tears welling up in her eyes and he'd always hated to see her cry. His anger was momentarily forgotten. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Us," she said, her lower lip trembling.

"The other day I came by your cabin to ask if you wanted to eat with us," Jon said slowly. He couldn't believe he was actually telling her this. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard what you said about Josh to your sisters."

Allison stared at him disbelievingly. "You heard that? But if you heard that then..."

"I didn't stick around to hear anymore," Jon interjected. "I left as I heard you say that you'd always fancied Josh."

"You git!" Allison replied. "You didn't hear Chiaki ask me who made me happier, who made me laugh all the time did you?"

"I didn't need to, did I?" Jon asked, turning away. "I'm not a glutton for punishment, Al."

"You're an idiot is what you are," Allison replied.

Jon turned back around. "I'm an idiot? I guess I was because over this holiday I fell in lo..."

"What?" Allison felt her heart stop.

Jon blushed. "It's not important..."

"What were you about to say?" Allison asked, a large lump in her throat.

Jon couldn't believe he'd been about to tell her how he'd really felt. But, he thought as he looked at her, he'd already been humiliated. Why not go all the way with it then? "I was going to say that...that I fell in love with you," Jon said softly. "Happy now?"

Allison's eyes filled with tears again. "Jon..." she said softly.

"What?" he asked, looking down at his feet. He braced himself for her to tell him that while he was very sweet, she loved Josh.

"If you'd stuck around to hear what I was saying when I was talking to my sister," she began. "You'd have heard me say that you make me happy, you make me laugh..." she moved closer to him. "I don't want Josh. I used to fancy him but it was until I spent more time with you that I realised I liked you more. And now it's only you."

Jon looked up in surprise. "Really?"

"Really," Allison smiled through her watery eyes. "You git."

"I am a git, aren't I?" he asked her, smiling for the first time in two days.

"Yes," Allison said. "You're a git but I love you too."

"You do?" Jon asked hopefully. He put his hands on her waist and pulled her close.

"Yes," Allison wiped at her eyes. "I mean... we are young but I think we know what love feels like."

Jon nodded. He brushed a tear from her cheek and felt terrible that he'd been the cause of her pain.

"I'm sorry, Al," Jon whispered.

"It's okay," she said softly. "Now it's okay..."

Jon shook his head and then leaned in for a kiss. "Now, it's okay," he whispered when they pulled apart.

Allison smiled at him. "Very much so," she said, pulling him down again. He wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around in a circle.

He looked at her mischievously. "So, you know everyone will be in the restaurant for a long time, right?"

"Right," Allison grinned back. "What are you thinking?"

"It'd be shame to let an empty cabin go to waste, don't you think?" Jon asked her innocently.

She giggled. "Yours or mine?"

"Mine, I think," Jon said thoughtfully. "I just had an image of your dad busting in on us...it wasn't pretty."

"That works for me," Allison kissed him again.

"Race you?" Jon asked.

"Right on," Allison immediately took off down the path.

Jon took off after her laughing the entire way.

"Beat you," Allison was breathless but giggling as they got to the Weasley cabin.

"I let you win," Jon said trying to catch his breath.

"Sure you did," Allison leaned against him as he wrapped his arms around her. "Hey Jon?"

"Yes, Al?"

"Remember how you kissed me in the movie theatre?" she asked, resting her chin on his chest as she looked up at him.

"Oh, I definitely remember that," he replied.

"Good," Allison said. "Cause I'm starting to forget... I think perhaps I need some refreshing..."

Jon grinned and opened the front door. "Come on in here, Longbottom. I'll see what I can do."

*** *** ***

Nick headed out to meet Julie but his mind was preoccupied that day. They only had a day or so left of their holiday but his parents had been acting awfully strange. When he'd informed them that he was going out to see his uncle, they'd smiled, actually SMILED, and told him to have a good time.

That in itself worried Nick. His parents never smiled that way unless they had something up their sleeve. He wondered if they'd somehow caught wind of his relationship with Julie.

Julie spent most of the morning in the dance studio watching Chiaki rehearse. Nick was supposed to meet her later and she'd left word for him to meet her here instead of at the cove.

"I can't believe I haven't danced properly in two whole weeks," Chiaki groaned as she turned the music off. "You could tell, couldn't you?"

"Chiaki," Julie said, laughing. "You've always been your own worst critic. You're amazing."

"I wish I believed you," Chiaki grimaced as she turned to the side. "I've gotten fatter since I came here."

"You have not!" Julie exclaimed. "You're as thin as a rail, Chi."

Chiaki sucked in her stomach. "I guess..." she replied. "I don't know how I'll do lifts with Toshio. He's going to think he's lifting up a killer whale."

"You are not fat, Chiaki," Julie told her. "Deluded, yes. But fat...no."

"Maybe I won't eat until your party," she said, turning the other way.

"You're going to fast for two weeks?" Julie asked her, shaking her head. "Come on, Chi. Quit fishing for compliments."

Chiaki dropped her shirt. "All right fine," she replied. "Come on Jules dance with me until the love of your life gets here."

Julie laughed. "Okay. What did you want to do?"

"I don't care," Chiaki twirled around the room.

Julie imitated Chiaki's movements. She was surprised that she wasn't as rusty as she thought she'd be. It had been three years since she'd given up dance lessons. She'd been taking them from Cho since she'd been four years old.

"See you're still good," Chiaki said, swinging her hips. "I miss dancing like this all the time... I love ballet but this is so much fun."

"I know," Julie agreed. "We should do stuff like this more often."

"I agree," Chiaki laughed. "You're the only one that likes to go to the clubs with me. Toshio just wants to sit around at home."

"I go to make sure you stay in line," Julie said, nudging her friend.

"Oh please," Chiaki scoffed. "I'm a good girl!"

"Tell that to someone who hasn't know you her entire life," Julie retorted.

Chiaki bumped her best friend. "Look who's talking. Ever since you got with Nick all you've talked about is shagging."

"I have not!" Julie argued.

"You have too," Chiaki laughed.

"Well, you're my best friend. I'm supposed to talk about this with you. I can't very well talk about it with my dad, can I?" Julie asked.

Chiaki laughed harder. "I'd pay to see the look on Uncle Harry's face if you told him you're no longer his innocent baby girl."

"Yes, well your dad still thinks you and Toshio haven't done anything, either," Julie countered.

Chiaki shook her head. "I don't know how he could miss it."

"Fathers are blissfully clueless about these sorts of things, I guess," Julie said thoughtfully. "And what they don't know, can't hurt them, right?"

"Exactly," Chiaki nodded.

"Okay," Julie said. "You didn't tell me what happened with Allie and Jon after they left. They didn't come back so I'm guessing things are okay between them now?"

Chiaki began laughing. "She didn't show up until almost midnight, if that means anything to you."

Julie giggled. "You're kidding! Being as Jon is still alive, I'm assuming your dad knows nothing about this?"

"We covered for her," Chiaki replied. "And Frankie doesn't know either because she wouldn't be able to shut up about it. My dad's loosened up a bit, but the only reason he's allowing this at all is because it's Jon Weasley."

"Frankie takes after your Mum a little too much I think," Julie commented. She looked at her watch and wondered what was keeping Nick.

"She just wants to be a grownup," Chiaki replied. "She doesn't realise how good she has it being a kid."

"Ethan's the same way," Julie said. "He hates it when Mum and Dad make him leave the room when they have to talk about 'grown-up' stuff. All kids are that way, though. We were."

"Don't I know it," Chiaki said. "Hey little bro," she teased as Nick came into the studio.

"Hey big sis," Nick joked. He smiled at Julie. "Sorry I'm late."

"It's okay," Julie smiled back. "We were just having a little fun in here."

"Girl talk?" Nick guessed.

"Something like that," Julie replied. "We were dancing too."

"And I'm completely out of practise," Chiaki said with a groan.

Julie rolled her eyes. "Don't let her trick you into complimenting her Nick."

"Oh shut it, you," Chiaki said. She looked at her own watch. "I've got to get going. Not only because I want to give you two love birds time on your own, but also because I promised Frankie I'd play croquet with her."

Julie laughed. "Have fun with that. You know it's only her reason to get you alone so she can grill you about boys."

"I'll just tell her about you and Nick," Chiaki teased. "Goodbye, lovebirds."

"Bye Chi," Julie replied. "I'm glad you came," she smiled at Nick once they were alone. "I'm going to miss you so much when we have to leave here."

"You act like you're not going to see me ever again," Nick said giving her a hug. "I just have to tie up some loose ends with my band and make arrangements for Greta. Then, you'll have me all to yourself in London."

"Do you even know how much I can't wait for that?" Julie rested her chin on his shoulder. "Just to be able to walk around with you out in Diagon Alley and not worry about who sees us?"

"I know," Nick said. "I want the same thing, too. I'm sorry you've had to put up with my parents and all their drama this holiday. It hasn't been fair to you or to your family."

"It's worth it though," Julie replied. "I'd do this all over again if it meant we would still be together."

"So would I," he whispered, pulling away so he could look at her properly. "Well, I'd do without that slap you gave me right after I kissed you that first time."

Julie laughed. "If I had known back then how hard I would fall for you I'd have just snogged you right there."

"At least we'll have a good story to tell our grandchildren, right?" he asked her with a laugh.

"Our grandchildren?" Julie asked teasingly.

"Yeah," Nick said, hoping he hadn't scared her off by talking about the future like that. "When we're old and grey and sitting on the front porch swing we can tell our grandchildren all about how their mean, old grandma smacked the living daylights out of their nice, sweet grandfather."

"I beg your pardon," Julie said, laughing.

"We could leave out the 'old' part," Nick said. "But the mean part that has to stay. Because it was completely mean, Jules. Not to mention that it hurt like hell."

Julie shook her head. "Maybe this will help you feel better," she pressed her lips softly to his cheek.

"It's a start," Nick said with a grin.

Julie kissed his neck, working her mouth down. "How's that?" she purred.

"Much better," Nick said, pulling her closer.

"Mmmhmm," Julie said lazily as he leaned in to kiss her.

"Jules?" Nick said breathlessly when they pulled apart. "I think you should know something. I think my parents might know...or at least suspect that you and I are together."

"Why do you think that?" she asked softly, pushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"For one thing, they were actually pleasant to me this morning," Nick explained. "And they smiled at me, Jules. They never, ever smile at me. Which leaves me to believe that they're up to something."

Julie thought for a moment. "But if they were going to do something... would they already have done it? You said yourself they wouldn't put up with this for a moment."

"True," Nick said. "But if it's not about you and me, what else could it be? They're obviously planning something. I just think you and I should be extra careful these next couple of days."

"Okay," Julie kissed him again. "What about if we go back to my cabin? They wouldn't think of going in there."

Nick nodded. "That sounds perfect."

"Great," Julie kissed him before taking his hand.

"Two more days," Nick said. "Two more days."

"That's all," Julie said, feeling excited about their future together.

They were half way to the Potter cabin when Nick stopped in his tracks. "I forgot something back at my cabin. Would it be okay if I just met you there?"

"Sure," Julie said. "You know the way."

"I think I do," Nick said, chancing a quick kiss. "I bought a little something for Ethan. I'll just grab the gift and meet you at yours in about fifteen minutes, okay?"

"All right," she smiled as he turned and went back in the direction of his cabin. She was strolling at a leisurely pace when a cold drawling voice made her stop in her tracks.

"Julie Potter," Draco said, coming up behind her. "I don't think we've been formally introduced."

Julie stared evenly back at Nick's father. "No but I know you've met my parents," she said coolly.

"Ah, yes," Draco said, nodding. "I do know your parents. You look very much like your mother. Has anyone ever told you that?"

"All the time," Julie replied. "If you'll excuse me," she attempted to go by him on the path but he grabbed her arm.

"Don't go just yet," Draco said with a fixed smile. "You've been dating my son after all. We should get to know each other, don't you think?"

Julie stared at him a moment. "Nick and I haven't been dating," she lied. "Not since you came."

Draco laughed. "You're not a good liar, Julie."

Julie rolled her eyes. "It was nice meeting you but I have to go," she again tried to walk past him.

"And I said you weren't going yet," he said, tightening his grip on her arm. "I can certainly understand what Nicholas must have seen in you. You're feisty just like your Mum. We Malfoy men have always liked a challenge."

"Don't touch me!" Julie jerked herself away.

"Sorry," Draco said giving her a fake smile. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, Miss Potter. I only wanted to have a few words with you about my son."

"Like what?" Julie crossed her arms over her chest.

"My son is a member of one of the most powerful and oldest Wizarding families in the world, Miss Potter," Draco answered. "He's a pureblood wizard. My entire family is pureblood. Do you really think we'd allow a Malfoy to marry someone of...questionable heritage?"

"That's none of your business," Julie shot back. "He doesn't want to BE a part of your family anymore!"

Draco threw his head back and laughed. "Well at least you're not denying that you are seeing each other. That's refreshing."

"I have to go," Julie snapped. "I'd appreciate it if you left me alone. I'm sure my FATHER would appreciate that as well."

"Oh, yes," Draco said grinning at her. "Your father. I was wondering when you'd throw his name around. Such a hero he was. I seem to remember a time when he couldn't protect you, Julie. Though, you were just a baby then."

Julie narrowed her eyes. "Stay away from me," she said, not allowing this man to intimidate her.

Draco ignored her. "It was a shame they couldn't follow through with that."

Julie pushed past him, not wanting to listen to any more of what the had to say. She couldn't remember her attempted kidnapping and was glad of it.

"Good bye, Julie," Draco called after her. "Keep an eye out, won't you? We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you."

"Is that a threat?" Julie asked hotly.

"No," Draco said, stepping closer to her. "That's a word of warning. You stay away from my son and no harm will come to you. It's as simple as that."

"You can't order him around," Julie replied. "He's not a child."

Draco was finding it hard to keep his anger in check. This girl obviously had no idea who and what she was dealing with.

"I can order him around," Draco said coldly. "And I certainly can do whatever it takes to keep him in line."

"You're as bad as he's always said you were," Julie retorted. "Trying to make him go be a healer like you. Why don't you let him decide what to do with his own future. It's not yours."

"And its not yours, either," Draco said, grabbing her arm again. "This little relationship of yours is going to stop and its going to stop today."

"Let me go!" Julie tried to pull away but his grip was much stronger this time.

"Listen here you filthy little Mudblood," Draco said through clenched teeth. "You stay away from my son or you'll regret it. And if you think I'm joking, I'm more than willing to prove to you I'm not."

He smiled down at her. "Your little brother...he likes to go swimming, doesn't he? I've seen him down at the lake quite a bit."

"You leave my brother alone," Julie's green eyes were dark with anger.

"And he likes to fly, too, doesn't he?" Draco said, a gleam in his eye.

"What has that got to do with anything?" Julie was still trying to pull away.

"Nothing," Draco said. "But I want you to realise that if you don't stay away from my son, bad things could happen. That's all. Do you understand?"

"Don't you dare threaten my brother," Julie said scathingly.

"I think I just did," Draco said sarcastically.

"What the HELL is going on here?" Nick had seen his father and Julie from a ways down the path. He strode towards them, his eyes dark.

Draco released his grip on Julie's arm and smiled at his son. "Your girlfriend and I were just having a friendly chat, Nicholas. Weren't we, Julie?"

"No," Julie rubbed her arm, where a rather large bruise was already forming.

"What did you say to her?" Nick asked his father.

"He's trying to threaten Ethan," Julie answered before Draco could. "If we don't stop seeing each other."

Draco laughed. "I didn't threaten the little kid. I just was advising Julie that she should keep a better eye on her brother."

"Why don't you just leave people alone?" Nick asked, coming up next to Julie.

"Look," Draco said losing his patience. "Your mother and I have put up with just about enough from you, Nicholas. We let you go forward with that music nonsense to get it out of your system. Playtime is over, Nicholas. You have a future. And that future doesn't involve this...filthy, little..."

"Don't you dare say it," Nick's eyes had almost darkened to black.

Draco nodded. "Filthy, little mud-"

Nick pushed back on his father's shoulders, nearly sending him sprawling onto the ground. "Damn you," he hissed. "Why can't you leave me alone? Why do you have to ruin everything?"

Draco steadied himself and the look on his face was like nothing Nick had ever seen before. Before he or Julie could say or do anything, Draco had hit Nick square in the mouth.

"DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!" Draco yelled at him.

"Fuck you!" Nick shouted back, holding his hand to his face. "I HATE YOU!"

Julie put a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Let's just go, Nick. Please?"

"Fine," Nick replied, blood dripping under his hand. "Stay away from me," he said to his father.

Draco gave them both one last menacing look before stalking away toward his cabin.

Julie winced as she looked at Nick's lip. "Come on, let's get you back to my cabin."

"What a bastard," Nick said furiously. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," Julie said, rubbing her arm. "He just bruised my arm a bit. He was making all these threats about me and my brother...I need to tell my dad."

"I can't believe him," Nick said, still holding his lip.

"Well, at least the cat's out of the bag now, eh?" Julie asked, trying to make him smile.

He only shook his head. "They're planning something, I can tell."

"You think?" Julie asked, bringing his hand down so she could get a better look at his lip. "Come on, Nick. Let's go back to my cabin. My parents should be there. I need to tell them about what just happened and we need to get you cleaned up."

"Okay," he muttered.

Meanwhile in the Potter cabin, Hermione was trying unsuccessfully to read over some reports but Harry was making goofy faces at her trying to distract her.

"Come on, Hermione," he said. "We only have two days left here and you're sitting here on the sofa...reading. You can do that when we get home."

"We can also do THAT when we get home," she said, biting her lower lip so she wouldn't start laughing.

"Yes, well," Harry said, scooting closer to her on the sofa. "We could do THAT here...and we could do THAT there, too."

Hermione shook her head. "You're incorrigible Harry."

He winked at her. "But that's what you love about me, isn't it?"

"Of course it is," Hermione set her reports aside.

"Works like a charm every time," Harry said smugly, pulling her closer for a kiss.

Hermione relaxed against him as they kissed, her hands moving over his shoulders and into his messy hair.

"Mum! Dad!" Julie's voice came from outside.

Harry and Hermione jumped apart. "What is it Jules?" Harry called back.

Julie swung open the front door and walked inside, followed by Nick. Hermione saw the blood on his hands and his lip. "What happened?"

"We had a run in with his dad," Julie replied.

Hermione noticed the bruise on Julie's arm. "Sweetheart, did Malfoy do this to you?"

"Yes," she replied in a small voice. "He threatened Ethan too. Said if I didn't stay away from Nick he'd do something to him."

"HE DID WHAT!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Who did what?" Ron was standing in the doorway. He saw his nephew and his eyes narrowed.

"I had a run in with my dad's fist," Nick answered. "It's not as bad as it looks, Uncle Ron."

"No Nick it is," Ron replied.

"He threatened Ethan too," Hermione replied.

"That's not all, Dad," Julie said quietly. She'd been reluctant to bring this up because it was a painful memory in her family's history. "He...he sort of implied that....well, that he might have had something to do with that kidnapping attempt."

Harry's face set in a frown. "Come on," he said to his wife and Ron. "It's about time we go had a talk with our old FRIEND." he looked at Nick. "I'm sorry about this," he said.

"It's not your fault, Mr. Potter," Nick said. "I'm sorry that you all had to get dragged into this."

"I'll help you clean this up," Julie said to him.

"Ethan's in his room kipping," Hermione told her daughter. "Don't tell him about any of this, okay?"

"We won't," Julie promised.

Hermione nodded and followed her husband out of the cabin. He and Ron were nearly running.

"Wait up!" Hermione called out to them.

Harry barely heard his wife as he strode towards the Malfoys' cabin. He was seeing red- how DARE Malfoy threaten his son?

"He's gone too far this time," Ron said shaking his head. "Hitting his own son....I'm going to kill him, Harry."

"Get in line," Harry said. "If he really had anything to do with Julie almost being taken when she was younger I'll hex him before stringing him up and pulling him apart limb by limb."

Hermione wanted to be the voice of reason and remind them that they couldn't go in there and beat Malfoy to within an inch of his life, but she couldn't tell them that when that was exactly what she wanted to do. Malfoy had crossed a line when he'd threatened her children.

Harry banged roughly on the door when they reached the cabin.

Ginny opened the door and smiled sweetly at him.

"Hello, Harry. What brings you by?"

"Where is your husband?" he asked without prelude. Hermione stepped up on the side of him, Ron behind her.

"In the shower," Ginny answered. "I was about to join him when I heard you banging on our front door."

"Get him out," Harry snapped. "I want to have a word with him."

"I don't like your tone," Ginny retorted.

She tried to close the door, but Harry blocked her. "Get your husband, now."

Ron glared at his sister. "Get him Gin. We'll break down the bloody door if we have to."

Draco came out of the bathroom, wearing a pair on pyjama bottoms. His hair was still damp from his shower and he grinned when he saw Ron, Hermione and Harry standing in the doorway.

"I was wondering how look it would take for you three to show up," Draco said calmly.

"How dare you hit your son?" Ron charged in immediately.

"What I do with my son is not your concern, Weasel," Draco said, laughing as Ron got in his face. "He's my son, not yours."

"At least I care about him," Ron snapped.

Harry held his wand out directly in Draco's face. "You threatened my son," he said coldly. "And you implied you had something to do with my daughter's kidnapping when she was a child."

"I never threatened your son," Draco said, trying not to act as if he was scared. "And I certainly didn't have anything to do with your tart daughter's kidnapping. I've been in Australia, dumbass."

"Don't' you call her a tart," Harry pointed his wand between Draco's eyes.

"Surely you know she's been shagging my son," Draco said icily. "Seems she's about as easy as your wife was. How long did it take for her to spread her legs for you, Potter?"

"You," Hermione was speechless. "You bastard!"

"You shut up!" Ginny said, pushing Hermione back. "You can't talk to my husband like that."

"You stay out of my way," Hermione said coldly. "I'd have absolutely no problems hexing you right now if you don't watch yourself."

"You're the Minister for Magic," Ginny said. "You wouldn't want to end up in the papers...again, would you?"

Before Hermione realised what she was doing, her fist had connected with Ginny's left eye. "You leave me and my family out of your stupid gossip column," she hissed angrily.

"Good one, Hermione!" Ron said admiringly.

"Such loyalty you have to your family Ron," Ginny snapped, holding her hand over her eye.

"That's rich," Ron said coldly. "Sounds to me like a pot-kettle issue, don't you think?"

Draco sneered at them. "Get out of here," he snapped. "Before I have you all arrested for trespassing."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by the neck. "Listen to me, you son-of-a-bitch. You leave my children alone."

"Or you'll do what?" Draco countered. "Kill me? Just because you're Harry Potter you think you can get off easily?"

"We can certainly get YOU into some trouble for threatening minors," Hermione replied icily.

"Get out of my cabin," Draco said, struggling to get out of Harry's grasp. "And take your Mudblood wife with you."

"Don't you call her a Mudblood," Harry squeezed Malfoy's neck, his eyes almost glowing.

"Let him go!" Ginny yelled at him. "You're hurting him!"

"And I'm going to hurt you if you don't shut up," Hermione said angrily.

"Look, Potter," Draco said weakly. "I didn't have anything do with your daughter's kidnapping. I could care less about you and your fucking family, okay? I just want her to stay away from my son. That's all."

"Why do you bloody care what he does?" Ron asked furiously.

"Why do you?" Draco countered. "He's not your son. No one in your bloody family cared one jot about him until he got here. If you were so all fired up to see him, why didn't you drag your sorry arse to Sydney?"

"WE DO CARE ABOUT HIM!" Ron roared. "My mother has sent him birthday and Christmas cards for his whole fucking life!"

"WHAT?" Draco asked, looking over at his wife. "What's this about, Red?"

Ginny's face was red. "Nothing," she replied stonily. "Nothing at all."

"I guess she neglected to mention that," Ron said glaring at his sister. "And I imagine she also forgot to tell you how she came to our cabin to meet my Mum when she brought Maddie and R.J."

"What is this, your family bonding experience Red?" Draco glared at his wife.

"I hadn't seen her in years," Ginny said quietly. "I wanted to see her. What's so wrong about that?"

"So badly that you had to run in and out and hurt her even more?" Ron asked coolly.

"This isn't about me," Ginny said hotly. "This is about the three of you barging in here!"

"Only after you threatened our children," Harry snapped.

"Why would we care about your brats?" Ginny retorted. "We have enough trouble with our own."

"You didn't care about him until you got here and saw that he was socializing with us," Ron replied. "Don't give me that bullshit like you actually care about him. You come first in your life Ginny. Then Draco. I don't think Nick even comes above your job, or excuse me, your socialite status."

"GET OUT!" Ginny said, walking over to the front door and holding it open. "NOW!"

Harry gave Malfoy's neck one more squeeze. "You come NEAR either one of my kids I'll kill you," he said darkly. "I faced down Voldemort I am NOT afraid of you."

"Oooooh," Draco said, rolling his eyes.

Harry shoved him backwards. "Don't tempt me," he snapped.

"Come on, Harry," Hermione said. "Let's go."

"You're not worth it," Harry said to both Draco and Ginny.

"You both don't deserve a son like Nick," Ron said as he was in the doorway. "You don't know how lucky you both are to have a good kid like him."

"Whatever," Ginny said, slamming the door in their faces.

"That bitch," Hermione curled her hand into a fist. "I want to blacken her other eye."

"That was brilliant, Hermione," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm sorry Ron, I don't understand how you can be related to her."

"I'm thinking she may have been adopted," Ron said only half-joking. "You throw quite a punch, Hermione. I think we should have just left her in the room with Malfoy."

"I'll go back," Hermione glared back at the cabin. "I'd love to punch that look off his face."

"We'll keep that as Plan B," Harry said. "Come on, I want to go and check on the kids. Make sure they're okay."

"Do you think he had something do with what happened to Julie when she was a baby?" Hermione asked. "Or do you think he was just trying to get a rise out of us?"

"I think he was just trying to bait us," Harry replied. "He was right about one thing- he was in Australia. And the people who tried taking Julie were dead set followers of Voldemort. To give the devil his due, Malfoy didn't take the road of his father."

"Yes, well he still threatened Ethan," Hermione said. "If he hurts one hair on Ethan's head..."

"I'll kill him," Harry said immediately.

"I'll help you," Ron volunteered.

Harry shook his head. "He's a thorn in our side. Always has been."

"It looks as if you got Ginny in trouble," Hermione said to Ron as they made their way back. "I don't think dear old Draco knew about Molly's cards and he certainly didn't know about her going to see her."

"Well that's her problem then," Ron said roughly. "If she was honest with him from the start she wouldn't be so unhappy."

"Ginny-honest?" Harry asked sarcastically. "That's not likely to ever happen."

"Not now it isn't," Ron replied.

Hermione stopped in her tracks, suddenly feeling a little dizzy.

"What is it?" Harry looked back at his wife, who suddenly had gone quite pale.

"Nothing," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I just got a little light-headed for a moment."

"It's probably the heat," Harry replied. "Let's go back and get you something to drink."

Hermione nodded and gave him a weak smile. "You're probably right."

Harry put an arm around her waist. "Ron you coming back with us for a bit?"

"If you don't mind," Ron said. "I'd like to check on Nick."

"I'm sure Julie's helped him clean up," Hermione said. "I hope Ethan didn't see his lip all split up."

"You and me both," Harry said, as they walked up the steps to the cabin. When they walked inside, Hermione saw Nick and Julie curled up on the sofa together, both fast asleep. Nick's lip was completely healed.

Ron smiled. "Looks like he's feeling better."

Hermione nodded. "I think I'm going to lie down, too."

"I'll get you some water," Harry said.

Hermione pecked Ron on the cheek and headed off for her bedroom. Ron looked at his nephew and hoped that he wouldn't have to endure much more from his dreadful parents.

"I'm going to go," Ron whispered to Harry. "If he wakes up, will you tell him that if he needs to talk, he knows where I am?"

"Sure mate," Harry replied. "I'll see you later."

"I hope Hermione feels better," Ron said quietly heading for the door.

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Harry said. "I think she's just been outside and the heat got to her."

Ron nodded and with a quick goodbye left the cabin.

Harry looked at his daughter curled up in Nick's arms and smiled. He remembered being like that with Hermione when they were here at Hillsdale before.

"Hi, Dad," Ethan said groggily, coming out of his bedroom.

"Hey," Harry smiled at his son. "Have a good kip?"

Ethan nodded and looked at Nick and Julie on the couch. "What's Nick doing here?" he whispered.

"Sleeping," Harry replied with a grin.

Ethan nodded and looked around the room. "Where'd Mum go?"

"Bed," Harry replied. "Why don't you bring this to her?" he filled a glass with tap water and handed it to his son.

Ethan took the glass from his dad and walked toward his parents' bedroom. Hermione was lying down on the bed, hugging a pillow.

"Mum," Ethan said softly. "You don't look too good."

"Hey sweetheart," Hermione sat up. "I really don't feel so great right now."

"Dad said to bring you this," Ethan said, setting the glass of water on the bedside table. Gingerly, he sat down on the bed beside her. "I could read to you like you do to me when I'm sick."

"I'd love for you to read to me," Hermione patted the spot next to her. "Thank you love." she hugged him to her for a moment.

"I love you, Mum," Ethan said, hugging her back. "I don't like it when you don't feel well."

"I love you too," Hermione kissed his forehead. "I don't like it either, but having you here makes me feel better already."

"I'll go and get a book," Ethan said smiling at her as he walked out of the room. He grinned at his dad who'd watched the whole scene from the doorway.

"That's a great kid we have," Hermione said, sharing a smile with her husband.

"Aye," Harry replied. "Two great kids. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Hermione reached for her glass of water and took a long sip. She wasn't feeling as dizzy, but she still felt a little queasy.

"Anything else I can get you?" Harry asked softly, brushing a strand of hair off her forehead.

"No," she said softly. "I just think I needed to rest. We've been staying up late and I think that and the heat just got to me."

"Right," Harry said. "We'll call it an early night tonight... we've got a bit of a drive ahead of us in the next few days."

"At least Lav won't be with us," Hermione teased. "We won't have to suffer through her off-key singing, right?"

"Exactly," Harry chuckled.

"Okay, Mum," Ethan said, coming back into the bedroom. He was carrying at least ten books in his hands. "I couldn't decide so I brought all my favourites."

"That's my boy," Hermione laughed as she propped a few pillows behind her back.

"I'll understand if you go to sleep while I'm reading," Ethan said, settling in beside her.

"That's what you do all the time," Hermione teased as he opened the first book.

"I'll leave you to it," Harry said.

"Thank you, Harry," Hermione said softly to her husband. She didn't have to say for what. He already knew.