Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Sorry we didn't get to review responses this time but we'll try and pick it back up for Saturday's update.

Nerdypurdy drew us some fanart, which you can check out here. We both love it- we hope you all do as well!

As always, please let us know what you think- everyone's favourite bad guy makes an appearance in this one!

All I Need - Matchbox 20

And that's all that I need, yeah
Someone else to cling to, yeah
Someone I can lean on
Until I don't need to
Just stay all through the night
In the morning let me down
Cause that's all that I need right now

Hermione laughed as Harry listened at the door. "Is she in bed yet?" she asked, referring to their daughter who had arrived home from her date just a little while ago.

"I just heard her bedroom door shut," Harry said, winking conspiratorially at his wife. "You ready?"

"Of course I am," Hermione tugged her shirt down. She and her husband were sneaking out to the lake for some extracurricular activity involving her red bikini. They'd gotten rained out the last time and she had been looking forward to this.

"I can't believe we're sneaking out," Harry said, grabbing his old Invisibility cloak. "Parents aren't supposed to this sort of thing, are they?"

"Maybe not," Hermione replied. "But we're not just any parents are we? We're the rabbits."

He grinned at her. "Yes, we are. And we do have a reputation to uphold."

"Exactly," Hermione crept under the cloak. "Is it just me or have you gained a stone? I don't remember it being so tight under here." she poked his side teasingly.

"If I have, it certainly wasn't from your cooking," he countered.

"Harry James," Hermione poked him harder.

"You're going the right way to get thrown in the lake, Hermione Jane," he teased her.

"And you'll be dragged right along with me," Hermione retorted. "Come on." she quietly pushed the door open so it wouldn't creak.

"You just stepped on my foot," he said, as they ungracefully tried to manoeuvre their way down the stairs.

"Do you want to wake our children?" Hermione asked. "Then we'll never get down to the water."

"Point taken," he said, lowering his voice.

"That's a good boy," Hermione patted his hand.

"This is like going back in time, isn't it?" he asked her as they made their way toward the lake. "Only now, we don't have to worry about your dad finding out."

Hermione laughed. "That's right," she grinned at him. "We're recapturing our youth here."

"Yes we are," he said. "Could you have even imagined all those years ago that someday we'd be back here with our own children and that our own daughter would be dating the Malfoy's son?"

"No," Hermione shook her head. "But then again I'd have never thought that Draco and Ginny could have a son as polite and well mannered as Nick."

"If he didn't look so much like Draco, I'd swear the kid was adopted," Harry said.

Hermione laughed. "All right," she pulled herself out from under the cloak. "You've got to turn your back now Potter."

"What?" he asked. "Hermione...I've seen you loads of times...oh...right...I guess we're doing this exactly like we did back then?"

"Uh huh," Hermione said. "Turn around please," she quickly stripped off her shirt and jeans. "It's a little more snug, but then again back at that point I hadn't given birth to two children..."

He turned around and looked at her. From what he could see, she looked the same as she did that night so long ago. He told her as much.

"You're sweet Harry," Hermione leaned forward and pecked him on the lips.

"And I'm also overdressed at the moment," he said, smiling at her.

"You are," Hermione said. "I'll wait for you in the lake..." she turned and dove in, surfacing a few feet away.

"How's the water?" he called out to her, as he pulled his t-shirt off.

"A little cold," Hermione called back. "Get in here and warm me up!"

"You're awfully bossy," Harry said, as he slipped out of his shoes. "You realise that, right?"

"And on more than one occasion you've told me that's part of what you love about me," Hermione smiled sweetly.

Harry laughed and then dove in, surfacing just behind his wife. "You sent for me?" he asked, whispering in her ear.

"I did," Hermione circled her arms around his neck.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered before leaning is and kissing her.

"Mmm..." Hermione said when she pulled away. "I love you so much Harry." she let her fingers play in his wet hair.

"I love you," he said as his hands went around her back and untied her bikini top.

"Harry Potter are you getting frisky with me?" Hermione teased.

"I believe I am," he said, laughing. "Or trying to at the very least."

"You're succeeding," Hermione kissed him as he pulled her top off and flung it onto the dock.

"Could it be?" Harry asked, pulling her close. "The Minister for Magic is actually skinny dipping?"

"Don't tell anyone," Hermione said, holding a finger to her lips. "We might take over Lav's spot as Queen of the Tabloid."

"Your secret is safe with me," he said huskily, crushing his lips to hers.

Hermione kept one arm around his neck while the other went down to his swim trunks. "Let's free Harry Jr," she said devilishly. "He wants to play."

"Most definitely," he said, chuckling. He had a sharp intake of breath as he felt her hands go inside his trunks. "Are you deliberately trying to torture me?"

"Maybe," Hermione drew the word out.

She finally lowered his trunks and he manoeuvred out of them quickly. He pulled her close again, kissing he with everything that he had.

"Now I'm the overdressed one," Hermione nipped playfully at his ear.

"Let's see what we can do about that," he said, hooking his fingers in her bikini bottom.

Hermione helped him pull the rest of her bikini off. "Now we're about even," she wrapped herself back around him. "Now you can do what we've been looking forward to... all... day... long..."

Harry pushed into her immediately. He'd been holding off as long as he could, but she really had been torturing him by deliberately taking things slow. He wanted to tell her that he'd been looking forward to doing this again for almost twenty years, but he soon lost the ability to form a coherent sentence.

"That's it..." Hermione let her head fall back, her hair trailing in the water behind her. "Oh Merlin Harry..." she bit down on her lower lip to keep from crying out.

He buried his face in her shoulder to avoid crying out as well. If they kept this up, he knew they'd both wake the entire resort.

"Kiss me," Hermione demanded breathlessly.

She was definitely bossy, he mused silently to himself. But, he did as he was told, claiming her lips in a fiery kiss.

Hermione opened his mouth with hers, tasting every bit of her husband that she could as their lower bodies moved together. With one last thrust, Hermione let out her gasp into his mouth.

They held each other for a long time afterwards. Harry didn't want to let her go just yet, amazed at how after twenty years of marriage they could still do this to each other. He kissed her softly.

"You are...amazing," he said, cupping her face in his hands.

"So are you love," Hermione leaned her forehead against his. "Still one of the best things that ever happened to me."

"Every good thing in my life comes back to you," he said, kissing her again. "You and the kids are everything to me."

"Same here," Hermione grinned. "We've had a pretty good life together haven't we?"

"Pretty good?" he asked, nudging her playfully.

"All right, extremely good," Hermione laughed. "We've had our ups and downs but I can barely remember a time when it's been down for more than a day."

"Even with that deranged psychopath plotting against us," Harry said, still shuddering at the thought of Gordon Devereaux.

Hermione nodded. "Sometimes if I stop to think about it, I really can't believe how bloody stupid I was about him. And you were amazing about it- any other guy would have given up on me." she smiled at him. "But not you."

"I never would have," he said seriously. "I was in too deep with you by then just to walk away."

Hermione leaned forward and kissed him. "That's why I love you so much."

"Come on, Mrs. Potter," he said, caressing her cheek. "Let's get dressed and back to the cabin before our children find out what we've been up to."

"Good idea," Hermione kissed him one more time. "After all we've got a nice soft bed to snuggle up in."

"Yes we do," he said. "And I say we sleep in late tomorrow."

"I'm with you," she said.

"See?" he asked her as they found their discarded swimsuits and got dressed. "I have been a bad influence on you..."

"And I've loved every minute of it," Hermione joked.

"So have I," he said. "And I've got a bit of a secret for you...I'm not finished corrupting you yet."

Hermione laughed. "What's that mean? Twenty years and you haven't shown me all you've got?"

"I still have a few tricks up my sleeve," he said, as they towelled off.

"Like what?" Hermione sidled up next to him.

"Can't tell you that," he said smugly. "That would ruin the surprise. You'll find out at the proper time, believe me."

"Can't wait," Hermione said.

He grinned at her as they huddled under the cloak.

"We'll have to sneak out again before we leave." Hermione said. "Makes me feel quite mischievous."

"Definitely," Harry agreed. "Too bad we can't tell Ethan how much fun you can have in that lake."

Hermione laughed. "I wonder if he and Julie ever plan on telling us that she's giving him swim lessons. It's fairly obvious to me now that that's what they're doing."

"Well, I guess if we can have our little secrets, they're allowed to have a few of their own," Harry said.

"Of course," Hermione replied.

"I still wish Ethan felt like he could tell us if he was scared about something," Harry said thoughtfully.

"He will," Hermione reassured him. "I read about this before- it's common in young kids. They just don't like admitting they're scared of things."

"Well, did that book tell you what we should do about it?" Harry asked.

"Just let it run it's course," Hermione advised. "Sooner or later he'll either come forth about it or he'll get over it."

"Jules is obviously helping him with it," Harry said. "At least that's something."

"Well they're close," Hermione smiled up at him. "It's sweet of her to help with him."

Harry nodded. "Aye, it is. We're lucky that they get along. They could be as bad as Josh and Jon Weasley. Brothers who can't stand each other."

"Someday the two of them will be best friends," Hermione nodded. "Although," she began to giggle. "Know what Luna told me earlier?"

Harry shook his head. "What?"

"That Jon fancies Allison, who fancies Josh, who they think, actually does fancy Allison back but he's too stubborn to give up on Julie," Hermione shook her head, still laughing.

"How on earth do you keep track of that?" Harry asked, laughing. "That sounds like a soap opera plot."

"I laughed so hard when Luna told me I thought we'd fall in the lake," Hermione replied.

"It's a shame that Josh isn't older," Harry said. "I always did think he'd be a good match for Julie. Of course, she's gone and landed herself a Malfoy."

"I don't think Julie ever liked Josh back in that way," Hermione said. "She's always thought of him like she does Ethan."

Harry nodded and as they passed the Malfoy cabin, he couldn't help notice that every light was on in the cabin. "I guess Ginny's turned into a night owl," he commented.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Among other things," she said darkly. "I still don't understand how she once could have been nice."

"She once was," Harry said, remembering the young girl, who had always been so shy around him. He'd often wondered what happened to her. "I started to notice a change in her during my last year at school. She started getting into trouble sneaking out after curfew...you name it and she did it."

Hermione shook her head. "Was she with Malfoy even then?"

"I'm not sure," Harry said, shrugging. "I wouldn't be surprised."

"And to think she believes she could have landed you," Hermione scoffed.

"She never had a chance," he said. "Even if she'd stayed the same sweet girl I always knew, I guess I would have always seen her as a little sister."

Hermione hugged him around the waist. "And I had you trapped," she said smugly. "You were all mine from that first day we saw each other."

"Was I?" he asked teasingly.

"Yes you were," Hermione poked his side. "And you know it too Harry Potter."

He kissed her. "I do know that and I'm grateful for it everyday."

"That's right," Hermione kissed him back. "Come on, let's get to bed. I want to have my way with you again."

"So you're not sick of me yet then?" he asked.

"Please," Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Far from it..."

"That's good to hear," he said. "Because you're stuck with me."

"Forever and ever," Hermione affirmed.

"Sounds perfect to me," he said, pulling the cloak off of them and kissing her again. "I can't get enough of you..."

"Right here?" Hermione teased.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "But how about we race each other back to the cabin? You've never been able to beat me..."

"You're on," Hermione took off instantly.

"Hermione!" he called, laughing as he ran after her. "You're such a cheater!"

"And I'm going to beat you this time!" she giggled.

"No, you're not," he said, grinning at her as he ran past her.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed, taking a burst of speed and jumping up onto his back.

"Ohhh!" Harry said, laughing. "Okay, I guess this works, too."

"Damn right it does," Hermione said, letting him carry her the rest of the way back.

*** *** ***

Julie, Josh, Jon and Allison were all sitting together the next afternoon by the lake. Ethan was down with Darla and Drew playing in the sand by the water. She was trying to concentrate on her plans for her party, but her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Nick. She'd had a wonderful time on their date and she thought he'd enjoyed it too, but when he hadn't shown up to their swim lesson that morning Julie had automatically assumed the worst.

"I should stop thinking that way," she said to herself. "Maybe he was tired and slept in..."

"What?" Josh was leaning over to her. "Did you say something to me?"

"Oh no, sorry," Julie smiled at him. "Just talking to myself is all."

"Allie?" Jon asked, smiling at her. "Did you want me to put some suntan lotion on your back? We wouldn't want you to get sunburned."

Allison smiled and sat up in her lounge chair. "That'd be really sweet of you, Jon," she said, pulling her hair over her shoulder.

Josh turned from Julie. "She can't possibly like that," he muttered.

"Why not?" Julie asked. "He fancies her. It's sort of sweet..."

"Sweet?" Josh asked in disbelief. "Jon has never in his life been described as sweet."

"That tickles, Jon," Allison said, giggling.

"Sorry," Jon grinned. He liked running his hands over her smooth bare shoulders. "If you're getting too warm we can always go for a dip in the lake."

Allison had never really thought of Jon the same way she thought of Josh. But, Jon was the one paying attention to her. Jon was the one who seemed to fancy her. Despite her feelings for Josh, she was finding that she did like Jon quite a bit.

"Okay," she said, looking over her shoulder at him. "But you have to promise and not splash me like you did last time."

"When did the two of you go swimming together?" Josh asked incredulously.

"A few days ago," Jon said. "While you were busy fawning over... someone else..." he grinned mischievously. Josh scowled at his brother.

"And Allie did promise she'd go into town with me after dinner for some ice cream," Jon said squeezing Allison's shoulder.

Julie smiled. "I'm sure you two will have a nice time. The pub Nick and I went to was really nice."

"Nick?" Josh asked, looking at her. "You, um, you went out with Nick?"

Julie turned red. "Yeah, last night," she murmured.

Allison smiled at her. "He's very cute Jules." she teased.

"Something the matter, Josh?" Jon asked his brother, knowing full well that he wasn't taking this particular news very well.

"JULIE!" Ethan called out for his sister.

"What?" Julie asked, glad to escape Josh's gaze.

"I need some help!" Ethan asked, waving at her to come toward him. Julie quickly excused herself to go and see what Ethan wanted, leaving the two boys alone with Allison.

"Chiaki said something was going on between the two of them," Allison said, as Jon finished rubbing suntan lotion on her back. "But, I don't think she knows that they went out on a date. Wait until I tell her!"

"You should probably let Julie tell her," Jon advised.

Allison smiled. "You're probably right. Jon, you're so smart!"

Jon beamed at her. "I'm nowhere near as clever as you, Al."

"Oh give me a break," Josh stared at his brother in disgust.

"Now, now," Jon said, smiling at Josh. "Just because the woman of your dreams is dating someone else, it's no need to get so tetchy with the rest of us..."

Josh grew bright red. "When will you leave me alone about her?" he asked furiously.

"When you finally see that she's never going to be with you," Jon said. "I'm only looking out for your best interests, Josh."

"Best interests my arse," Josh snapped.

"Okay," Jon said, not wanting to push the issue any further in front of Allison. "Al? How about I go and grab us a few sodas from the snack bar?"

"Sure," Allison smiled at him. "Sounds good to me."

Jon squeezed her shoulder once more before heading off for the snack bar.

"Al? You let him call you Al?" Josh asked her. "You once told me you hated being called Al."

Allison shrugged. "Maybe 5 or 6 years ago I hated it."

"He's just putting on an act for you," Josh said. "You know he doesn't really like you."

Allison's jaw dropped. "How could you say that?" she asked. "What is wrong with you today Josh? You're being so mean to everyone!"

"I didn't mean it like it sounded, Allie," Josh said quickly. "I just don't think Jon is the right person for you."

"Well that's not really any of your concern is it?" she asked, pulling her legs up.

"Yes it is," he said, starting to feel angry himself. He was just trying to look out for her and she was reacting to this all wrong. "You're my friend, Allie."

"Not your girlfriend," Allison said, a bit sadly. She wondered if this conversation was her proof that Josh would never see her as such. "And with that in mind I think I can decide who I'd like to go out with."

"Fine," Josh said, grabbing his t-shirt and towel. "Go ahead and do what you want. But don't come crying to me when he acts like the jerk he really is!"

He stalked off, leaving a very confused Allison staring after him. Julie came back to the chairs and noticed the expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked, sitting back down.

Allison shrugged. "I'm not sure really," she said softly.

"Jon really fancies you," Julie said, smiling at her. "I've never seen him act this way over a girl before."

Allison blushed. "He's nice," she agreed. "And I always actually preferred Josh over him. But ever since we came to Hillsdale Jon's been really attentive and sweet."

"And what about Josh?" Julie asked.

"Josh is being different," Allison answered. "He's tetchy whenever we talk."

Julie nodded. "Boys sure are hard to figure out, aren't they?"

"No kidding," Allison sat back. "So when did this start with you and Nick?"

Julie considered this question. She explained briefly to Allison about meeting him at the club that first night and how he'd been pursuing her. She even told her about yesterday when Nick had saved Ethan from drowning. "Truth be told," Julie said. "I thought he was a pompous git the first time I met him, but he's really not so bad. The only thing is that just when I think I have him figured out, something happens that makes me wonder if I know him at all."

"What do you mean?" Allison asked.

"He knows that I'm down here every morning giving Ethan a swimming lesson," Julie explained. "And I haven't seen or heard from him since last night. I guess he didn't enjoy our date as much as I thought he did..."

"You don't know that for sure," Allison said. "Maybe he's giving you some space or something- maybe he thinks you don't want to see him so soon."

"Maybe," Julie said, with a slight smile. Jon came back their drinks and handed an ice cold soda to Allison.

"Here you go," he said, sitting back down beside her. "I'm sorry that took so long. There was a long queue."

"That's all right," Allison smiled at him. "Thank you Jon."

Jon smiled back at her. He saw that Julie had returned and he pulled an apologetic face.

"Jules? You can have my soda if you want. If I'd known you'd be back, I'd have gotten one for you as well."

"It's okay," Julie said. "I should probably get Ethan and go back to our cabin. Mum and Dad will be looking for us."

"Okay," Allison replied. "Good luck with Nick."

"Thanks," Julie said, gathering up her belongings and sticking them in her beach bag. She went down to the shore and collected Ethan.

"Come on, little man," Julie said, kneeling down beside him. "We need to get back before the parentals start asking questions."

"Okay," Ethan got up and said goodbye to Drew and Darla.

"Did you have fun today?" she asked him, as they walked back to their cabin.

Ethan nodded. "I just wish Nick would have come along."

"Me too," Julie mused. "I wonder where he's been..."

"Right here," Nick said, coming up behind them. Julie turned around and saw that he looked very exhausted. He was also wearing the same clothes she'd seen him in last night.

"Nick!" Ethan said happily.

"Hey, little man," Nick said, tussling the young boy's hair.

"We missed you this morning," Julie said, folding her arms.

"Yeah," Nick said. "I'd like to talk to you about that..." he took her arm. "Can we go for a walk or something?"

"Yeah," Julie said. "I just need to take my brother back to the cabin first."

"Okay," Nick nodded.

A few minutes later, they'd dropped Ethan back at the cabin with Lavender and set off for their walk.

"You look terrible," Julie said. "Like you haven't slept..."

"I haven't," Nick replied. "After I brought you back last night..." he told her what had happened with his mother and Ron. "And I stayed up all night to make sure she didn't fall asleep..." he shook his head as he remembered her angry, hurtful words whenever he'd make a loud noise or start talking to keep her from closing her eyes.

"Nick," she said, hugging him. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

"It's all right," Nick slid his arms around her. "Uncle Ron and I took her to the medic here this morning so I was finally able to get some sleep. That's why I wasn't by the lake this morning."

"I feel so guilty," she said, resting her head on his shoulder. "When you didn't show up this morning, I thought you'd not enjoyed our date."

"Jules," Nick rubbed his hand over her back. "That was the best time I've had in awhile."

"Me too," she agreed. "I'm sorry you had to go through that last night with your Mum. Does your dad know?"

"Don't think so," Nick said. "We haven't heard from him since we got here last week."

Julie nodded. "I'm glad Ron was there to help you."

"I don't know what I would have done without him. We were almost ready to go get your Mum and see if she knew what to do when my mum woke up."

"I'm sure your mum would have loved to see mine hovering over her," Julie said.

"That's what my uncle said," Nick smiled. "Almost wish she HAD woken up to see that. She'd certainly deserve it."

Julie laughed. "There was something I wanted to ask you. I know you're really knackered and all, but I was really hoping that tonight at dinner, you'd sit with me and my family."

"Sure," Nick replied instantly. "I'm awake now. Been sleeping since about half past nine."

"Great," Julie said happily. "My parents would like to get to know you better and you know Ethan would love it, too."

"I'm looking forward to it," Nick said. "Will I get to at least sit by you?" he teased.

"Of course," Julie said, grinning at him. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Good," Nick pulled back and stroked her cheek.

"I really like you, Nick," she said, almost shyly.

He smiled at her. "I like you a lot too..." he said softly. "I really meant that when I said it to you yesterday."

"I know," Julie said, smiling up at him. "It's really hard for me to trust someone after what happened with my last boyfriend."

He didn't want to push her but he couldn't help but be curious about what made her so distrustful of other guys. So instead Nick nodded. "I hope I'm not anything like him..."

"He let me down," Julie finally said. "And you've not done that. You've stood behind everything you've said to me so far, Nick. I appreciate that."

"I won't let you down Jules," Nick said.

"I want to believe you," she said, hugging him again.

"You can," Nick held her close.

"I should probably let you get back to your cabin," she said, reluctantly pulling away from him. "We usually eat around seven. We'll meet you in the restaurant, okay?"

"Sure," Nick held onto her hand. He wanted to kiss her again so badly but he didn't want to overstep his bounds either.

Julie took matters into her own hands when she saw his hesitation. Standing on her tiptoes, she pressed her lips to his.

Nick was overjoyed as she kissed him and he felt his hesitation fly out the window. Pulling her back into his arms, he pressed harder against her mouth.

"I'll see you tonight," she said breathlessly when they finally pulled away from each other.

"Tonight," Nick kissed the back of her hand before releasing it.

Julie grinned at him before walking back in the direction toward her cabin. She'd been so close to telling him about Ryan. The wounds from that relationship were still a bit fresh, though. She just hoped that Nick Malfoy would be the one to make all that pain go away.

*** *** ***

Chiaki knocked on the door to the Potter cabin, hoping that Julie was home. She really needed to talk to her friend and find out what was going on with her and Nick. Allie had mentioned in passing that Julie had some news for her, but wouldn't say anything more than that.

"Hi," Julie said, opening up the door. "What's going on?"

"You tell me," Chiaki said, narrowing her eyes at her best friend.

"Come on in," Julie held open the door.

"Where is everyone?" Chiaki asked, coming inside.

"Getting ready for dinner," Julie sat down on the sofa. "I'm glad you're here. I want to tell you something."

Chiaki sat down beside her and hugged her knees to her chest. "Tell me everything."

"Well..." Julie smiled slightly. "I'm sure you know that Nick and I... that we're..."

"Shagging each other like rabbits?" Chiaki suggested, laughing at how red Julie's cheeks got at this question. She couldn't resist giving her friend a hard time after she'd kept her in the dark for so long.

"No!" Julie protested. "Chiaki! I've only known him for a week! And you know I'm waiting!"

"I was only having a go at you," Chiaki said. "Come on. Spill your guts, Julie Liliane Potter."

"Well... he took me out on a date last night," Julie began. "Just to the pub over in the town. We had a really, really nice time."

Chiaki squealed. "And...?"

Julie blushed again. "Well we talked, and he was really sweet. And this time when he kissed me I didn't have to slap him afterwards." she laughed.

"This is fantastic!" Chiaki said, giggling. She hugged her friend. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Well we'll see where this goes," Julie didn't want to think too far into the future, at least not yet. "And I'm just hoping you're okay with it too."

"Of course, I am!" Chiaki said, nodding. "Nick's my brother after all and you are my very best friend in the entire world."

"Okay good," Julie said in relief. "I didn't want it to be awkward."

"It wouldn't be," Chiaki promised. "This is so great. It's just a shame that he lives in Australia and we live here."

"I know," the smile fell from Julie's face. "Guess what else. He wants me to come and see his band play down there sometime. Maybe you and I can go together."

"Absolutely," Chiaki said reassuringly. Then, it suddenly hit her that by going to Australia, she might have to see Draco Malfoy. "On second thought, maybe that's not such a great idea."

"How come?" Julie asked. "Oh... your fa- your birth father..."

"Yeah," Chiaki said, leaning back on the sofa.

"Well for what it's worth..." Julie said. "I think it takes a much bigger person to do what your father did. Your dad took you and your mum in when you both had nowhere else to do. Your birth father isn't worth anything you've got Chiaki."

Chiaki nodded and felt fresh tears welling up in her eyes. "I know that, Julie. I do. It's just so hard, you know? This man didn't even think twice about signing away any right he had to me. How could a person do that to their own child?"

"I know," Julie hugged her. "It's horrible. And if he's anything like his wife I wouldn't be surprised. I just can't believe Nick turned out so normal. Thank goodness for his nanny."

"And thank goodness for my dad," Chiaki said, an overwhelming sense of loyalty coming over her. "My real dad."

"Exactly," Julie smiled at her.

"So, you heard that we're all eating together tonight, right?" Chiaki asked, wiping the tears from her cheek.

"What?" Julie asked.

"Everyone," Chiaki repeated. "My dad thought it would be nice if we all ate together tonight instead of splitting up like we've been doing. Why do you look like I've just told you were going in front of the firing line?"

"Well I invited Nick to eat with us all tonight. My parents wanted to get to know him better..." Julie said. "Oh well... it'll just give me an excuse to invite him again right?"

"Right," Chiaki said. "And look at it this way; if Nick can survive all of us at one time, he's definitely a keeper."

Julie smiled. "Let's hope so," she agreed.

"I'll see you tonight," Chiaki said, giving her friend another hug. "Thanks for listening to me."

"No, thank you," Julie said. "Is Toshio coming in again? Maybe we can double."

"This weekend," Chiaki said, crossing her fingers. "He promised."

"Good," Julie said. "See you in a bit."

*** *** ***

Julie walked in with her family, pushing her hair back over her shoulder. She had taken care to dress a little nicer since she knew Nick was meeting them there. Craning her neck, she tried to catch sight of him around the crowded restaurant.

"Potters," Steve came over and smiled at them. "How are we all this evening?"

"We're great, Steve," Hermione said, smiling at him.

"We're hungry!" Ethan exclaimed, causing his parents and sister to laugh right along with Steve.

"Well let's get you to your table then," Steve grinned at the young boy. "I don't want to keep you waiting!" he led them through the restaurant. "Since I heard you and Weasley and Longbottom were eating together, I set you up out here," he took them to a brand new patio he'd had put in when he bought the place.

"It's gorgeous out here," Hermione gushed, and Julie nodded in agreement, still looking for Nick.

"This is really nice," Hermione said. "And as usual we're the first to arrive."

"All thanks to you dear," Harry teased gently.

Hermione laughed as she took her seat beside Harry. Ethan sat down on the other side of Harry. Julie took a seat beside her mother and decided to save the seat beside her for Nick.

"Do we have to wait for everyone, Dad?" Ethan asked his father. "I'm really hungry."

"They're bringing out some bread Ethan." Harry laughed. "Save some for the rest of us will you?"

Ethan nodded and pulled out his crayons to occupy his time until the other guests arrived.

"So did you tell Nick that he was eating with everyone?" Hermione asked Julie.

"No," Julie said. "I didn't know until Chiaki told me."

"Oh, dear," Hermione said, shaking her head. "He's really in for it, then."

"We'll go easy on him," Harry said, winking at his daughter.

"I hope so," Julie said.

"Evening!" Ron had arrived with his family. "Where's the food?"

"Mummy said we had to wait until everyone got here," Ethan said, looking up from the picture he was drawing. "And I get first dibs on the bread, Uncle Ron."

Harry laughed at his best friend's expression. "Sorry Ronniekins, he was here first."

"Hi Josh," Julie smiled at him as he sat down beside the empty seat she was saving for Nick. "Hey Jon; Drew." Darla was sitting down next to Ethan.

"You look really pretty tonight," Josh said, grinning shyly at Julie.

"Thanks Josh," Julie replied. "You look nice too." she was pleased to see he looked happier than he did earlier that day.

Josh beamed back at her and ignored the amused look on his brother's face.

Ron shot them both warning looks and both boys knew that this was not the night to try their father's patience.

"You look a little tired, Ron," Hermione said. "Is everything okay?"

"Fine," Ron replied. "Long story- I'll tell you both later."

Hermione and Harry exchanged a look, but decided to drop it for now. Julie looked up to see Nick, smiling at her. He looked very handsome in a white dress shirt and khaki trousers.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show," she said, smiling as he sat down beside her.

"Sorry," Nick said. "I didn't know where you all were sitting so I was wandering around inside there."

Julie laughed. "I'm sorry for not mentioning that you'd be subjected to everyone tonight..."

"Hey!" Ron exclaimed with mock indignation. "We're well-behaved, aren't we?"

Luna laughed. "Try saying that with your mouth closed while you're chewing your food, Ronald."

"Hey!" Ron's indignation was real. "Making me look bad in front of my nephew are you?"

"Don't you think he should know how you really are?" Luna asked. "Where did you get food from anyway?"

She saw that Ron had placed the basket of dinner rolls on his lap. "Ron! Were you planning on sharing those with the rest of us?" she asked, scowling at him.

"Eventually," Ron passed them to Ethan, who grabbed for it eagerly.

"So is this what I've been missing all this time?" Nick asked teasingly. "I gather my uncle has a very large appetite."

"Large doesn't cover it Nick," Harry cackled.

"I prefer to call it a healthy appetite," Ron corrected him. "And don't listen to them, Nick. They have no idea what they're talking about."

Julie laughed. "Come on, Uncle Ron. Do you remember that year you 'accidentally' ate all of our Christmas cookies?"

Drew laughed. "Or that time Daddy ate almost an entire turkey by himself!"

Ron turned a deep shade of red as everyone laughed.

"So we're just in time for taking the mickey out of Ron!" Neville was just coming out onto the patio. "Excellent!"

"Hey Al," Jon grinned. "Saved you a seat..."

Allison smiled brightly at him and sat down beside him. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Josh glaring at them, but she wasn't going to let him spoil her evening. "Thanks, Jon. You look really nice tonight."

"So do you," Jon turned a bit red.

"Well this is about it," Julie whispered to Nick. "If you can handle this... you're in."

"I think I'm doing okay so far," Nick whispered back to her. He didn't tell her that when his mother found out where he was going, she'd called him a traitor along with some other names that he couldn't repeat in polite company.

"Where's Lavender tonight?" Luna asked Hermione.

"She decided to stay by herself in the cabin," Hermione rolled her eyes. "She's been really moody since the other day. Something about trying to talk to Seamus."

"She hasn't done that yet, has she?" Luna asked. "We ran into Seamus and Summer on our way over here. They were headed into town."

"I think she tried to talk," Hermione replied. "Apparently he stopped by and it didn't go too well. I think she's depressed. I'm worried about her."

"Maybe we should have a girl's night on the town one night," Luna suggested. "It would help cheer her up and we've not done anything like that in ages."

"That sounds like a great idea," Hermione smiled.

"Can we come along, too?" Chiaki asked. "Julie and I are now old enough, aren't we?"

"Sure," Luna replied. "I have no problem with that. Lav loves spending time with you two."

Chiaki grinned. "I asked if she'd design my dress robes. If there anything like what she did for my mum, I'm going to look radiant."

"Hello everyone!" the woman in question suddenly swept outside. "Sorry I'm late..."

"Lav?" Hermione looked at her cousin. "I thought you were staying in tonight?"

"I'm not going to let Seamus Finnigan send me into hiding," Lavender said, leaning down to peck Hermione on the cheek. "I'm going to enjoy my night with my family and my friends."

"Here! Here!" Luna said, smiling at her. "You look very nice, Lav. Is that new?"

"Why yes it is," Lavender beamed, tossing back her shoulder length hair. "Got it in town the other day."

A waiter finally came over and took their orders. Nick was enjoying himself more than he could say. Everyone was being so warm and friendly to him.

He looked over at Ethan who was still drawing a picture.

"What are you drawing little man?" Nick asked.

"A boat in the lake," Ethan said.

"I told you that you'd be loving the water before too long," Nick said, smiling at him.

"I don't.," Ethan replied quietly.

"But you've come so far with your swimming lessons," Nick said. "Julie told me you're getting..."

He saw the stricken expression on Ethan's face and his voice trailed off.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

Ethan was silent. Julie reached across the table and patted her brother's hand.

"Go ahead and tell them, Ethan," she said gently.

"I don't want to," Ethan was red faced.

"You can tell us anything, Ethan," Hermione said. "Right, Harry?"

"Of course he can," Harry replied.

"I can't tell you this, Dad," Ethan said, shaking his head. "You'll think I'm not brave like you."

"Ethan that's silly. Of course you're brave like me," Harry replied.

Ethan looked away. "No, I'm not. No one's as brave as you, Dad. I tried, but I...I'm scared of the water. That's why I didn't want to go out on the boat with you or go swimming. But, Julie's been helping me."

"Ethan, sweetheart," Hermione put an arm on her son's shoulders. "You went back in this morning didn't you?"

Ethan nodded.

"I think that's VERY brave," Hermione said gently. "To get back in even after you had some trouble."

Harry nodded in agreement. "That's very Gryffindor of you son."

"Really?" Ethan asked, hopefully.

"Absolutely," Ron chimed in.

Ethan grinned and went back to drawing his picture.

"I'm sorry," Nick whispered in Julie's ear. "I thought they knew..."

"I think you just made it all better," Julie grinned at him, squeezing his hand.

Nick smiled back at her and continued to hold her hand.

"Nick?" Harry asked. "We all know that you're a musician, but what we all want to know is how you are on a broom?"

"Um... pretty good." Nick replied.

"Can we please not have a discussion about Wonky-Feint things again?" Hermione asked, rolling her eyes.

"Wronski Feint," all the males corrected simultaneously, Nick included.

Harry grinned at Nick. "You definitely fit in, Nick."

"Good to hear," Nick laughed. "I definitely know my Quidditch. Believe it or not, I'm a big Cannons fan."

Ron looked as if he'd won the lottery. "Finally!" he crowed. "Someone who understands!"

Julie and the other ladies groaned as the conversations started flowing about Quidditch.

Nick really felt as if he was a part of it all. He wished he would have met them all sooner so he would have known their inside jokes and their stories. But, he knew that there'd be a time when he would know them all and he'd be chipping in with tales about his uncle's large appetite or about Ethan learning to swim.

The food arrived then and Ron applauded heartily. "Good service!" he boomed.

Everyone laughed. Josh picked up his silverware, but Drew bumped his arm and his fork fell to the floor. He bent down to pick it up and his heart nearly stopped when he saw that Nick was holding Julie's hand.

He couldn't help but stare for moment at their intertwined fingers, his thumb rubbing over the back of her hand. 'How could he do this?' Josh thought. 'We just met him and he's stolen Julie from me!'

"Josh?" Luna called out to her son. "Have you gotten lost down there?"

"No," Josh turned red. "Couldn't find my fork."

"When are Maddie and R.J. getting here?" Cho asked Ron. When she saw that he was concentrating on eating, she rolled her eyes and laughed. "Luna, when are Maddie and R.J. coming? I haven't seen R.J. since he was born."

"End of next week," Luna shook her head at her husband, who was frantically shoving everything he could in his mouth at once. "I can't wait to see them again."

"That's if Molly and Arthur let them go," Cho said, with a laugh.

"I think by then they'll be ready," Luna laughed. "Maddie and R.J. are your other cousins," she turned to Nick. "Maddie's four, and Ron Jr.'s only a year old."

"You mean there's more of you normally?" Nick asked, wide eyed.

Luna laughed. "Yes, If you think this is a crowd, just wait until you have Christmas dinner at the Burrow."

"Sounds mad," Nick grinned. "Can't wait."

"Don't eat anything Uncle Fred and Uncle George offer you," Drew said, grimacing.

Darla nodded. "And they won't go easy on you just because you're new, either."

"Who are they again?" Nick asked.

"They're my uncles," Jon replied. "They own joke shops called Weasley Wizard Wheezes." he looked over at his father. "My dad manages all the shops in Ireland where we live."

"And you can't trust them," Luna chimed in. "They've even tried out a few things on R.J. and he's just a baby."

"What sort of things do they do?" Nick asked.

Julie laughed. "Anything and everything. They once gave me some bubblegum that made me cluck like a chicken for a week."

Nick laughed. "I'd have paid to see that." he teased.

"They're relentless," Julie said. Everyone at the table had their own Fred and George story that they shared with Nick.

Lavender was laughing right along with the rest of them when she saw through the glass window a familiar person yelling at Steve. It couldn't be him, she thought.

Hermione caught her cousin's glance. "What is it?" she asked.

"Is that...?" she asked, but her voice trailed off as Draco Malfoy had stormed out onto the patio, glaring at all of them.

Nick, who'd been laughing at another story, felt the smile slip off his face as his father strode towards him. "What are you doing here?" he asked, shocked.

"That's the exact same question I was about to ask you!" Draco retorted angrily. "Associating with these...people."

"My family, you mean?" Nick stood up.

Draco laughed. "Your family? You think these people are your family?"

Chiaki stared in disbelief at the tall, blonde man. She felt her father put a hand on her shoulder, but she couldn't move, couldn't speak.

Harry glared at his archenemy. "Get out of here Malfoy," he said in a low, tense voice.

"Oh, yes," Draco said, glaring at Harry. "Saint Potter."

He turned his attention to Hermione. "And you...what on earth did you have to do to become Minister, Mudblood? Marrying Potter must have done it for you, eh?"

Nick was so angry as he stood up. "What do you want?" he asked angrily- Harry looked ready to punch his father's lights out, as did Ron and Neville.

Julie stood up as well and put a hand on Nick's arm.

Draco saw this and laughed even harder. "Your mother has so much explaining to do it's not even funny. She takes you here and the next thing I know; you're associating with these people and shagging the Mudblood's daughter."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by his shirt collar. "That's enough," he said through clenched teeth. "You do NOT insult my wife and my daughter do you understand me."

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME, POTTER!" Malfoy yelled.

"Get the fuck out of here Malfoy," Harry said his tone dark. "You're not welcome."

"I'm not going anywhere without my son," Draco said, wrenching himself free from Harry's grasp.

"Now, I'm your son?" Nick asked in disbelief.

"Nick's not going anywhere," Ron said, standing up. "And I don't appreciate you saying what you did in front of the children."

"Children?" Malfoy asked, looking around. "Ah, yes. Breeding like your poor Mum and Dad are you, Weasley?"

"That's none of your business," Ron's face was as red as his hair.

"And Lavender Brown," Draco said coldly. "Look at you. Are you the only one not married? I'll let you in on a little secret, no bloke's going to wait around for you..."

Lavender's lip trembled. "You're not worth anything I'd have to say," her voice was cold. "At least I would treat my own children better than you've treated Nick."

Draco turned his attention back to his son. "Been telling them stories, have you? About your poor, lonely childhood?"

"All thanks to you," Nick said. "Why don't you go see Mum? Maybe you can bring her back out of her drunken stupor you've put her in."

"I would," Draco said icily. "But I don't know which cabin the two of you are in. Van Ark wouldn't tell me."

"Sixteen," Nick replied coolly. "I'm sure you can find the way yourself," he sat back down.

"Nicholas..." Draco said, staring at his son. "I'm not leaving you here!"

"You left me a long time ago," Nick replied.

"Leave, Malfoy," Harry ordered. "Now."

"Don't order me around Potter," Draco snapped.

Harry rounded on him again and Draco just sneered in his face.

"Come now, Potter," Draco said. "You don't want to embarrass Minister Mudblood, do you?"

"That is enough, Malfoy." Hermione said her voice cold and tight. "Before I hex you into oblivion you'd best get out of here."

"I'd like to see you try," Draco spat back at her. "You know, Granger...they can put you in the highest office. They can even bow down at your feet, but at the end of the day, you're just another Mud..."

Malfoy didn't get a chance to finish his sentence as Harry's fist slammed into Draco's jaw. Malfoy fell back onto the floor.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I don't care," Harry said his green eyes dark.

Ron glared at the blond lying on the floor. "Get out of here Malfoy before I give you a shiner to match that jaw." he felt bad for his nephew, who had his head in his hands.

Draco stumbled to his feet, clutching his jaw.

"You'll pay for this, Potter," he said angrily. With one last glare at his son, Malfoy walked away.

"Tell me one I haven't heard before!" Harry shouted after him.

"Nick...," Julie said, wanting to comfort him, but he held up a hand.

"Why is he here?" he asked angrily.

"I don't know," Julie said, wishing she knew the right thing to say.

"Chiaki?" Neville asked his daughter. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Chiaki shook her head. "That... that… that can't be my father." How could she be related to someone so awful?

Nick couldn't believe this had just happened. His father had just shown up out of the blue and come in here and ruined their perfectly good evening. And hearing what Chiaki had just said, Nick felt even more terrible.

"Thank you for the evening," Nick said, pushing back from his chair. "I'm...sorry."

"Nick...," Ron called out to his nephew, but Nick had already walked away.

Julie got up and left the table. "Nick!" she called, running after him.

"Go back to your family, Jules," Nick said, not even bothering to turn around and look at her. "Just leave me alone, okay?"

"No," Julie grabbed his arm. "It's not okay. That wasn't your fault back there!"

Nick stopped walking. "If I hadn't been there, he wouldn't have come, Jules! He said those horrible things about everyone...you, your parents, my uncle. That's what he does! That's what he's always done! And I brought that back for all of you tonight."

"How do you know that?" Julie asked, forcing him to turn around. "How do you know he wouldn't have come out there to belittle everyone?"

"I don't," Nick admitted. "But I still feel bad, especially about Chiaki. She's heard stories about him, but you don't really know what dear, old dad is like until you see him up close and personal."

"Chiaki's going to be just fine," Julie said. "Sure, it's a tough situation, and I know I can't imagine what it's like, but she's got a wonderful family who loves her. Just like you now have family who loves you..."

"You think they're going to want me around after that?" Nick asked.

"Of course they do," Julie looked flabbergasted. "Nick no one holds you responsible for what your parents have said and done."

Nick nodded. He took her in his arms and hugged her tightly. "I'm so sorry, Julie. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry Nick," Julie hugged him back. "You've nothing to be sorry for, nothing at all."

"I just don't want you to hate me," he said, burying his face in her shoulder.

"I can't hate you Nick," Julie stroked his hair.

"You can't?" he asked, staring into her green eyes.

"No," Julie said, staring back. He really had gorgeous eyes; they were grey but as he looked down at her, filled with warmth.

He pulled her even closer and kissed her, softly at first, but deepening the kiss when she wrapped her arms around his neck.

She felt his need for closeness as she wound her arms around him. Julie felt his tongue line around her lips and she opened them, tasting Nick Malfoy for the first time.

"Julie," he breathed, reluctantly pulling away from her.

"What?" she asked dazedly.

"I don't deserve you," he said, looking away.

"What makes you say that?" Julie asked.

"I don't know," he said, still holding her hand. "I don't want to let you go though. I care about you more than I've cared about anyone."

Julie felt a surge of butterflies in her stomach at his words. "I care about you too," she said softly. "And I don't want you to let me go."

He smiled down at her. They kissed again and when Nick asked if she'd take a walk with him, she didn't hesitate. "I just want to know why he decided to come now," Nick asked, kicking up some dirt in frustration. "Everything was going fine, you know?"

"Too good I guess," Julie agreed. "People always have a way of turning up when you don't want to see them."

"But he's never shown up for anything where I was concerned," Nick said. "He missed my graduation. He's never come to any of my gigs. Nothing."

"Sounds as if he's here more for your Mum," Julie said, carefully choosing her words.

"I don't even know why the two of them even had a child," Nick said morosely. "You couldn't find two more selfish people if you tried. They only remember they have a son when its convenient or beneficial for them."

"I'm glad they did," Julie looked up at him. "Otherwise I'd be walking out here by myself..." she attempted to lighten the mood a bit.

Nick let out a slight laugh. "You're so lucky, Julie. You and Ethan, you have parents that love and care about you. Did you hear your parents tonight when they were talking to Ethan about swimming? My parents would never do something like that. Never."

Julie felt horrible for him. She couldn't imagine what life would be like without her parents around or being as horrible as Draco and Ginny were to Nick. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "I wish there was something I could do for you."

"But you have, Julie," Nick said softly. "You're here with me now. That's what I need."

Julie smiled at him. "Anything else I can do?"

He grinned, wrapping his arms around her. "Two things, really. First, you could give me a kiss. And two, you could let me walk you back to your cabin."

"How about three things?" Julie asked slyly.

"Three?" he asked.

"One, I kiss you, two, I let you walk me back, and three, that you stick around for awhile so we can do what we originally planned for this evening- you can talk to my parents so you can all get to know each other better."

"I'd like that," he said softly, touching her cheek. "I'd like that quite a bit actually."

"Good," Julie wound her arms back around his neck.

He leaned down and kissed her again. As he let himself relax into the kiss, he couldn't help wondering what was the real reason his father had come to Hillsdale and what it would mean for his relationship with Julie.