Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing; Hillsdale Nights

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys- Heaven had to babysit and it lasted far later than she thought it would ;) But never fear, the chapter is here! Amy responded to reviews earlier and we're BOTH glad you all are enjoying this story so far!

Runaway By Janet Jackson

I've seen the world, been to many places
Made lots of friends, many different races
I've had such fun around the world it's true
African skies with a Nairobi mood
I fell asleep in Tuscany and dreamed
The one thing missing was you

When Ron had gotten home from the shop that evening, Luna had bombarded him with the letter asking them to come back to Hillsdale for a reunion. It hadn't taken them long to decide that they wanted to go back and now Ron was talking to his mother through the fire, hoping she would take care of their youngest, Ron Jr. and Madeline (Maddie).

"I don't know if she'll be there," Ron said thoughtfully. "I can't imagine Ginny wanting to go back there after... after the way they left."

"She never writes anymore," Molly said sadly. "The last time she wrote was nearly three years ago. And I have to find out about her and that husband of hers when I read the newspaper. Not to mention the fact that I've never even laid eyes on my grandson."

"None of us have," Ron pointed out. "And you've seen him Mum. It's not like his singing career is small. He's a pretty big star in his own right."

"Yes, but I've never met him," Molly said. "I blame that Malfoy for all of this. Ginny was never like this before he came along...if it wasn't for him, she'd still be here with us."

Ron was quiet. "Maybe you're right, but I guess we'll never know." he shrugged. "Anyway, I wanted to know if you'd be up to taking care of R.J. and Maddie for a little while." he explained the invitation to Hillsdale to his mother. "Just for part of the time. I'd like them to join us after a couple weeks."

Molly's mood and tone of voice brightened almost immediately. "We'd love to watch them!"

"Fantastic," Ron grinned. "Drew, Darla, Jonathan and Josh are coming with us." he shook his head. "Josh is in his room writing to see if Julie's going."

"Still fancies her, does he?" Molly said with a laugh.

"Always has," Ron shook his head. "Thanks for taking Maddie and R.J., I know they love coming to the Burrow to stay with you."

"And you know I love having them," Molly said. "I'm going to have to go now, Ron, but give my love to everyone, okay?"

"I will," Ron smiled at his mother as she ducked out of the fire. "We're all set," he said, coming into the kitchen and putting his arms around his wife. "R.J. and Maddie will come and stay with us three weeks into the holiday."

"Molly saves the day yet again," Luna said smiling. She was quite looking forward to seeing Hillsdale again and couldn't wait to show her children the place where she and their dad fell in love. Of course, the kids weren't very interested in this part of the holiday at all.

"Couldn't ask for a better grandmother," Ron said, sitting down. "Loves seeing her grandkids, and loves sending them back to us spoiled rotten even more."

Luna opened her mouth to respond, but she heard the sound of someone running down the stairs and she and Ron exchanged knowing looks. With a house full of children, commotions like this were an everyday occurrence.

"Jon, give me back my letter!" Josh screamed at his twin brother.

"No way," Jon grinned devilishly. "It's a LOVE LETTER TO JULIE!"

"GIVE ME BACK MY LETTER NOW!" Josh said, his face red from both his anger at his brother and the embarrassment that in fact, this was an actual love letter to Julie.

"Not until I read it!" Jon unfolded it and was about to read it aloud when Ron whisked it out of his hands. "DAD!" he groaned. "Come on!"

"That's your brother's letter, Jon," Ron said sternly. "And you have no business reading it."

"We already know what it says!" Jon fluttered his eyes. "Dear Julie, I love you so much!" he mimicked in a high voice.

Josh turned even redder. "Shut up Jon," he took the letter back from his father. "Thanks Dad."

"No problem," Ron said, patting Josh on the back.

"She's never going to like you back, Josh," Jon couldn't resist taunting. "For one thing, she's almost 20 years old. And for another...you're still at Hogwarts. What did you plan on doing...taking her to the next Yule Ball?"

"Shut UP JON!" Josh's ears were also red. "Just because no one likes YOU--"

Jon was about to respond with a scathing remark, but Luna stood between her two sons. "Enough! You two have been at each other's throats since you came home. I, for one, am sick of it."

Ron nodded agreement. "If you two can't behave then you'll stay with your grandmother while Darla and Drew come with us to Hillsdale. And you'll also be grounded from going to Julie's party next month."

Josh's face fell at this news. He didn't want to miss Julie's party for anything in the world. "Fine," Josh said, turning to his brother. He offered his hand. "I'm sorry..."

Jon wore a smirk but shook his brother's hand. "Sorry," he grunted back.

"Good," Luna said, smiling at them, though she doubted their sincerity. Out of her twin sons, Josh was always the more sensitive one and Jon liked to use this to his advantage way too often.

"This is your last warning," Ron said to his sons. "If I hear you two arguing like that again that's it."

Both boys knew their father meant business and Jon reluctantly agreed to go upstairs and help his mother with Maddie. When Josh and Ron were alone in the kitchen, Josh looked at his father as if he wanted to ask him something, but didn't know how to ask it.

"What's on your mind?" Ron asked, picking up the newspaper Luna had left on the table.

"Dad?" Josh asked. "Do you really think Julie will go? I mean, I know she's older and all, but I really do think that Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione would want her to go with them, don't you? And I mean if Chiaki goes, I'm sure that Julie would go, too...right?"

"I'm sure she'll go," Ron chuckled. "If Harry and Hermione are even going, that is. We don't know if Hermione can get away from her duties yet."

Josh nodded. "It wasn't a love letter, you know? I was just writing to see how she was doing. I-I probably won't even send it."

Ron ruffled Josh's hair. "You don't let your brother get to you. If you want to write Julie letters you go ahead and do it."

Josh smiled at his father. "Thanks, Dad."

*** *** **

Ginny Malfoy's ball gown rustled behind her as she walked down the immaculate, elegant corridor to her penthouse suite. She'd just returned from yet another fundraiser ball for a charity whose name she couldn't even remember. It didn't matter what it was for, however. It mattered that she was seen presenting a big check to the committee members and having her photograph taken. Draco hadn't been able to go. He'd had an emergency at the hospital and had played the part of the heroic healer to the hilt.

She loved living in Sydney, where they'd been ever since they left England twenty some years ago. Draco was a very successful healer, and their son Nicholas... he was doing well making his own way in life.

Nick Malfoy was in the kitchen, his head in the icebox as he heard the front door to their large penthouse open.

"Draco?" his mother's voice drifted into the kitchen. "Are you home love?"

"No," Nick rolled his eyes. "It's just me."

Ginny couldn't hide the disappointment on her face, but she gave her son a weak smile. "Nicholas, I didn't know you'd be home."

He shrugged, setting the container of juice on the counter. "I have a concert tomorrow night. Don't worry; I'll be out of your hair after that."

Ginny walked across the room and gave her son a peck on the cheek. "You're not in my hair, Nicholas. It's good to have you home."

Nick rolled his eyes again. "So where's dad? Dashing off into the fray again is he?"

Ginny hoped that was all Draco was up to. For awhile now, she'd thought that he was having an affair. "I don't know," Ginny said quietly. "I think so..."

"He's always busy," Nick said. "I've been here for three days and this is the first time I've seen either of you." He hardly ever came home at all, choosing to spend most of his time with his band.

"You're one to talk," Ginny scoffed. "We hardly ever see you. You treat Greta better than you ever treated me."

Greta was Nick's nanny who had basically raised him herself. After Nick grew up, she remained behind as a housekeeper and it was her love for Nick that kept her in the Malfoy home. Both Ginny and Draco treated her terribly.

"I know Greta better than I do you," Nick muttered.

Ginny shook her head. "You've always been ungrateful, Nicholas. You went to the best schools, lived in the best homes...and this is how you repay us?"

The blond snorted. "I'm going to my room. I'm tired and I have to rest up for tomorrow night."

"Fine...walk away like you always do," Ginny said dismissively, watching him go. She never knew what to make of her son and she certainly didn't know why he was so moody all the time. She saw some owl post on the counter and decided to go through it. A familiar logo caught her eye on one of the envelopes and she wondered why on earth they'd be getting mail from that place.

Draco Malfoy let himself into their flat, tired as hell from another day of life saving activities. He was the best damn healer in the entire Wizarding population of Sydney and sometimes the pressure could really take its toll. He saw his wife standing in her ball gown looking through the post and snuck up behind her.

Ginny jumped as she felt cold hands on her bare shoulders. She turned around and scowled at her husband. "You nearly scared me to death!"

"I'm sorry," Draco leaned in and kissed her. "What are you looking at?" he felt a rush of affection for her, which was still extremely rare for him. He loved Ginny but he didn't always exactly know how to show that to her. Instead he showered her with riches and she got whatever she wanted with his gold.

"You wouldn't believe me," she answered, handing him the envelope. "I think there must have been some mistake...."

Draco scanned the letter. "A fucking reunion?" he snorted disdainfully. "Why would we want to go to that?"

"We did work there," Ginny answered. "And we did have some friends there..."

"What friends?" Draco asked sarcastically. "Dudley? Right."

Ginny laughed right along with him, but a part of her did want to go this reunion. It wasn't to see friends, of course. Draco was right. They'd only really had each other at Hillsdale. "So, I take it you don't want to go?" she asked cautiously.

"Of course not," Draco tossed the letter aside.

"I-I think we should go," Ginny said, causing him to look at her as if she's sprouted another head.

"Did you have too much FireWhisky?" he asked incredulously. "Have you forgotten the way we were run out of that hellhole? The embarrassment your brother caused us?"

"Of course, I haven't forgotten!" she retorted. "But wouldn't you like to rub all of their noses in it about how well we're doing? Wouldn't you just love to see the looks on all their faces when the two people who had to leave in disgrace came back looking better than ever. Wasn't it you who told me that the best revenge was looking good? And we, my love, are looking pretty damn good right now."

"I have nothing to prove to anyone," Draco said flatly. "I'm not going."

Ginny frowned. She had thought he would have jumped at the chance, but obviously she didn't know him as well as she thought she did. There had to be some other reason why he didn't want to go. "I take it SHE won't let you go," Ginny said haughtily.

"Who the hell are you talking about Ginny?" Draco asked sharply.

"Don't you think I know what you do?" Ginny asked, finally voicing the questions she'd been mulling around in her head for weeks. "Don't you know that I know where you go? You've got someone else, Draco. Don't you? You're never home and when you are, you're so bloody preoccupied, you might as well not even be here!"

Draco stared at his wife. "I have NEVER, EVER cheated on you," he said coldly. "I may be a lot of things but I'm not a fucking cheater."

"Whatever," Ginny said, grabbing the discarded invitation from the counter. "I'm going to this and I'll take Nicholas with me. I don't need you to have a good time!"

"Fine," Draco snapped. "Go and be laughed at."

"The only one who will be laughing is me," Ginny said, briskly walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs. She had no idea how she was going to convince Nick to come along, but she knew damn well she wasn't going alone. And after the way she'd acted, there was no way she could back out now.

*** *** ***

Seamus laughed as his girlfriend of three months, rising starlet Summer Rayne, twirled around in the hallway outside his flat in Los Angeles. Over the past twenty years, his hard work and determination had paid off and he was now one of the best and most respected directors in the movie business.

"I can't believe you got me that movie part!" Summer said breathlessly. "It's the part of a lifetime!"

"You had a wonderful audition," Seamus said, giving her a hug. "And I couldn't truthfully see anyone else playing the part after you read for it."

"But still," Summer said breathlessly. "All those actresses have so much more experience than I do."

Seamus knew this was true, but Summer had worked very hard over the past few weeks with her acting coach and it had shown in her audition. Of course, it helped that she was also gorgeous.

"You were great, Summer," Seamus said, kissing her gently. "Really."

"I'm so glad you think so," Summer kissed him back and followed him in. "I'd really like to celebrate..."

"So would I," Seamus said apologetically, "but I've still got some editing to do."

Summer pouted. "Come on, I just got the breaking role of my lifetime Seamus!"

Seamus liked Summer very much, but when she didn't get her way, she tended to pout and whine, which could become very trying very quickly.

"I really can't, Summer," Seamus said. "But how about we meet back here for a late dinner?"

"I suppose that'll have to do," she wrapped her arms around him and kissed the side of his neck.

Seamus laughed and couldn't resist turning around and kissing her properly. Seamus all but forgot about the editing he had to do, until his assistant knocked on the door. Reluctantly, Seamus pulled away from his girlfriend. "Taryn," he said, clearing his throat.

"I have your mail, Seamus," Taryn said, putting a stack of mail on a table. She couldn't help but notice the irritated look on Summer's face, but Taryn ignored her like she always did. "And the shooting schedule you wanted, too."

"Thanks," he said. "I appreciate it Taryn."

Taryn smiled. "Will there be anything else?"

"Not at the moment," he smiled. Sometimes he liked the fact that he used the top floor of his office building as his flat but other times, like this one it was a right pain in the arse. "I should be in there in just a bit."

"Okay," Taryn said, walking out of the room.

"She's always doing that," Summer said crossly. "I don't think she likes me too much."

"Don't worry about her," Seamus said. "I don't let my assistant pick out my girlfriends."

"Good," Summer said, relaxing. "Because I have a feeling if she did, she wouldn't have picked me."

Seamus kissed her again. "Want to come back about ten?" he asked suggestively. "I should be finished up by then, and if I'm not... it can wait till morning."

"You've got a date," Summer said smiling at him. "I think I'll go shopping."

"All right," Seamus gave her one last kiss and watched her go. He turned to his mail and noticed with surprise an envelope with the Hillsdale logo on it.

Taryn came back into the office as soon as she saw Summer leave and looked at her boss, who was looking at a card intently.

"What have you got there, Seamus?" Taryn asked pleasantly.

He stared at the letter a moment longer. "It's a reunion," he said finally. "When I worked at that resort a long time ago. The previous owner died and left the place to his son who sold it to one of the waiters that had worked there a long time. He's invited us all back for a reunion..."

"Sounds like fun," Taryn said, grinning at him. "Is that back home for you?"

"Yeah back in England," Seamus said thoughtfully. He wondered for a moment if Lavender would be there but quickly drove it from his head. She had never been an employee, therefore she wouldn't be there. "I think I might go back," he said.

"Can it be?" Taryn asked in mock surprise. "My boss is actually going to take a vacation? I'll alert the media."

"Funny Taryn," he smirked at her. "It's just been awhile since I've seen my old friends."

"Will she be going with you?" Taryn asked, trying not to frown at the mere idea of Summer Rayne. No one in the office cared too much for her, but out of respect for Seamus they all put up with her.

"I'll have to ask her tonight when she comes back," Seamus didn't notice the look on Taryn's face. "Our picture doesn't start for two months while we set up all the financial ends, so it's not like she has to be here."

Taryn nodded, wondering how Seamus' old friends would take Summer Rayne.

"Should I make the arrangements for you then?" Taryn asked.

"That'd be fantastic," Seamus said. "You're the best you know that?"

Taryn laughed and gathered up some old scripts. "You could always give me a raise," she said, walking out of the office.

Seamus laughed but mentally thought to do just that sometime soon. The last thing he wanted to do was lose Taryn to another company. He looked at the invitation again and wondered who would show up at Hillsdale.

*** *** ***

"We're home!" Neville called out, setting down the shopping bags beside the door. Allison and Frankie were giggling about something they'd picked up in one of the shops and although he was worn out, he'd had a good time with his youngest daughters. "Cho? Chiaki?"

"We're in here love!" Cho called back. "In the sitting room."

Chiaki sat on her hands so her father and sisters wouldn't see her ring just yet and gave Julie a warning look to keep quiet. Chiaki wanted to be the one to break the news.

"Chiaki!" Frankie said, hugging her sister. "I didn't know you'd be home! We thought you'd still be rehearsing!"

"We called it an early night," Chiaki said.

Neville nodded and kissed his wife on the cheek. "Hello, Julie. It's seems like ages since I've seen you..."

"I'm sorry Uncle Neville," she hugged him back. "I've been so busy trying to find a job in London..."

"Hermione says you're trying to get a job at one of the primary schools in Muggle London, isn't that right?" Neville asked.

Julie nodded. "I love working with kids," she said.

Neville smiled and sat down and Frankie promptly sat down on his lap. "These two nearly bought out all of Diagon Alley today."

"We didn't buy that much," Frankie said defensively. "And before you say anything, Mum, we spent our own money."

Cho shook her head. "As long as you didn't waste it on those silly jokes you and Allison love so much."

"I bet if Josh was here we'd get them for free," Allison thought about the red haired boy she'd held a fancy for since they started their fourth year at Hogwarts.

"We didn't," Frankie answered. "I mostly bought books."

"My mum would be so proud of you," Julie teased her.

Neville looked with concern at his oldest daughter. "Are you all right sweetheart? You're being awfully quiet tonight."

"I've just got a lot on my mind, Dad," Chiaki said, smiling at him. "In fact, I have something really big on my mind..."

"What?" Frankie asked excitedly before Neville could and everyone laughed.

"Thank you, Frankie," Neville said, squeezing her shoulder. "What is it, Chiaki?"

"Well..." Chiaki looked at her mother and then Julie, who nodded encouragingly. "Dad... I'm getting married!"

Frankie and Allison descended on Chiaki immediately demanding to see the ring. Cho and Julie stood up so the younger girls could get a better look. Neville just sat there, in stunned silence.

"Dad?" Chiaki asked, pulling free of her sisters.

"M-married?" Neville finally managed to choke out.

"Yeah," Chiaki held her hand out so her father could see her ring. "Toshio asked me today after practise was over..."

"It's a nice ring," Neville said, feeling a bit emotional. Chiaki had been their first-born, after all. Of course, she'd not been his biologically, but he'd loved her as his own the moment he'd set eyes on her. The news that she was getting married made her seem so...grown up.

"Neville isn't it wonderful?" Cho asked, trying to jolt her husband out of his trance.

Neville slowly smiled and stood up from his chair. "Forgive your old dad for getting emotional over you getting engaged. Of course, it's wonderful!"

Chiaki hugged him in relief. "Toshio wants to come talk to you soon," she said. "He's ready for the overprotective father speech, although he'll probably have to deal with you, Uncle Harry AND Uncle Ron."

"The terror trifecta," Julie teased. "Poor Toshio won't know what hit him."

Cho slid an arm around her niece. "Wait until you get engaged Julie." she teased. "Your father will interrogate the hell out of the poor bloke and leave his knees knocking together."

"That probably explains why I haven't dated too many wizards," Julie said laughing. "I've concentrated my efforts with Muggles and you see where that got me...."

Chiaki knew her friend was trying to make the best out of that bad situation and she gave her a sympathetic smile.

"Just elope, Jules," Chiaki said. "That way you'll have the ring and the poor bloke can't back out then."

"Don't give her any ideas Cho," Neville grinned. "Harry would kill you if Julie eloped."

"Mum?" Allison said, picking up a card that Cho had discarded on the coffee table. Cho frowned. She'd meant to put that invitation in the rubbish bin before anyone had been anymore the wiser. "What's this? Hillsdale? Isn't that where you and Daddy used to work?"

"My dad worked there, too!" Julie said, coming up behind Allison and looking at the card. "It's where my parents met. A reunion?"

Cho grabbed the card from Allison. "It's nothing really."

"What's nothing?" Neville looked at the card over his wife's shoulder. "A Hillsdale reunion? That sounds like fun."

"Yes, I'm sure it would be," Cho said with clenched teeth, trying to communicate to her husband that perhaps this wasn't the best place to discuss this...especially with Chiaki in the room. "But we couldn't possibly go."

"Why not, Mum?" Allison asked curiously. "The invitation said it was for former employees and their families. I'd love to see where you used to work. I think it'd be cool."

"Yeah me too," Frankie said. "We can see where you and Uncle Harry used to dance together."

"I wonder if my parents got an invitation too." Julie wondered aloud.

"They probably did," Neville said. Cho grabbed his arm and led him into the kitchen.

"Neville," she said in a hushed tone. "We can't go back there...."

"Why not?" Neville rubbed his arm. "It's not like WE had a bad time there..."

"I know we didn't," Cho said quickly. "It's just...what if THEY go?"

"They?" Neville was confused.

"Malfoy and that cow he married," Cho answered.

Neville shook his head. "Why should we care?" he asked. "Malfoy wouldn't bother us, and besides, why would they even want to come back with the way they were run out?"

"I know," Cho said. "But what if they did? Chiaki's never met him and you know if he met her, he'd be just as cold and nasty to her as he was with us. I don't want to watch him hurt her, Nev. I won't."

Neville stroked her cheek. "Chiaki's a tough girl Cho. I don't think Malfoy would reveal who he was if they met. Remember how easily he gave her up before she was born?"

"I know all that," Cho hissed. "But you never know with him, do you? I just think we'd all be better off it we just stayed home."

"Why should we miss out on a holiday just because Malfoy might be there?" Neville asked, folding his arms. "If we're going to think about it that way we may as well never go anywhere ever again!"

"That's not fair and you know it!" Cho retorted crossly. Chiaki walked into the kitchen and stared at her parents.

"Okay....you two mind telling me what's going on?" she asked, holding up the card.

Cho shook her head. "Don't worry about it Chiaki."

"That worked when I was five years old, Mum," Chiaki said sarcastically. "But I'm not a child anymore. I wish you'd stop treating me like one!"

"Chiaki," Neville spoke now. "Your mother does not treat you like a child."

"Yes, she does!" Chiaki said angrily. "She always has!"

Neville held up a hand. "We're not talking about that right now. Your mum and I need to figure this out."

"Do what you want," Chiaki said angrily. "I'm going over to Toshio's. At least HE doesn't treat me like a toddler."

"Chiaki--" Cho began but her daughter stormed out. "THIS is why I don't want to go." she snapped angrily. "We're not even going yet the place is causing us trouble."

"She just needs to cool off," Neville said sighing. "We all do."

Cho threw the letter into the garbage. "I don't want to go. I don't want Malfoy hurting her if he decides to 'grace' us with his presence."

"That's just great, Cho!" Neville said, now nearly as angry as Chiaki had been. "It's like I said... let's just never go anywhere ever again in case HE might show up somewhere. In fact, why don't we both quit our jobs, take the girls out of school and go live on an island somewhere like hermits. But then again, Malfoy might come along then, too. I guess we're doomed!"

Cho rolled her eyes. "Now who's being overdramatic?"

"I don't like fighting with you, Cho," Neville said, trying to keep his emotions in check. "I have never liked it. But, I think you're being unreasonable. I seriously doubt the two of them would be invited. Need I remind you of how the two of them left? Come on. It would be great to go back and see our old friends...."

Cho shrugged and he could see her weakening. "I suppose it HAS been awhile since we've seen Seamus, if he decides to come." she sniffed.

"So you'll think about it?" Neville asked, grinning at her. "Come on...Frankie and Allison would love it. And I really do hope Chiaki comes along, too. Her last family holiday before she goes off and gets married."

"Damn it," Cho said. "I hate it when you're right."

"Let me have this one triumph," Neville said, laughing. "I live in a house with all women. I'm outnumbered here. Let me be right at least once!"

Cho smiled. "All right," she said. "But make sure you tell Harry it was YOU that convinced me to go and not him."

"Deal," Neville said, kissing her. "So, we're okay then?"

"Okay," Cho kissed him again. "Very, very okay."

*** *** ***

Even though it had been two years since Hermione had been elected Minister for Magic, Lavender Brown was still awed at the size of the place her cousin lived in with her family. She was a regular guest, coming over whenever she could, and although her own flat was nicely laid out, it just didn't compare to this palace.

"Did you want some coffee?" Hermione asked, smiling at her cousin. Lavender's visit had been unexpected, but Hermione had been up anyway. She'd woken up to wish Julie good luck on her interview at a Muggle school. Harry was still upstairs fast asleep as was Ethan.

"That'd be lovely," Lavender tossed her sunglasses on the table. "I was out too late again and up too early as usual."

"You didn't wake up married for the weekend again, did you?" Hermione asked jokingly. Over the past twenty years, Lavender had been married twice. Both marriages had been annulled and hadn't lasted more than 48 hours.

Lavender gave her cousin a dirty look. "Not everyone has the romance that you do with Harry," she said haughtily. "And my second marriage lasted two weeks thank you very much."

"My mistake," Hermione said, trying not to laugh. She handed Lavender a mug of coffee and sat down opposite her at the kitchen table.

Lavender yawned and sipped her coffee. "How are Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore?" she asked conversationally. "I haven't stopped by there in a few weeks."

"Good," Hermione said. "Dad's enjoying his retirement. He and Mum are actually leaving on cruise right after Julie's birthday."

"That's lovely," Lavender said. "No one deserves a nice holiday more than they do."

"Speaking of holidays," Hermione said, smiling slyly at her cousin. "Harry and I are taking the kids on one and we'd like you to go as well."

"Oh?" Lavender asked. "What sort of holiday do you and Harry want me to go with you for? And why?"

"You could call it a trip down memory lane," Hermione said, handing Lavender the invitation.

"Hillsdale?" Lavender asked. "Why do you want to go back there? And why would I, for that matter?"

"Because both of us met the loves of our lives there," Hermione answered simply. "Don't look at me like that, Lav. You know I'm right. Say what you want, but Seamus was the love of your life...your soul mate."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "If he was my soul mate then he wouldn't have cheated on me. And he wouldn't have just up and left for Los Angeles, he would have stayed and fought for me." she said primly.

"He tried, but someone wouldn't listen, would she?" Hermione pointed out gently. "He never would have left if you'd just given him the chance to explain, Lavender."

"There was nothing TO explain Hermione," Lavender said testily. "He cheated on me with that assistant of his, Lola." she spat out the other woman's name.

Hermione wasn't so sure about that. But, she knew that Lavender didn't want to hear anything more on that subject. "Harry said he doesn't reckon Seamus will go. I'm apt to agree. For one thing, he hasn't had much to do with any of us since he left."

Lavender shrugged, pretending that just hearing Seamus's name didn't bother her when in fact it hurt more than she could ever tell anyone. "That doesn't explain why you want me to go with you," she said instead.

"Because we had a great summer there," Hermione answered. "And wouldn't you like to get away and have a bit of fun?"

"I'm a busy girl Hermione," Lavender said. "I've got six shops to look after."

"And I've got a Ministry to run," Hermione said. "But right now, my family's more important. I've not been around as much and Harry thinks we need a proper holiday."

"Ahh, the plot thickens," Lavender replied. "Translation- you and Harry want to go shag in all your old spots and want me there to watch the kids."

"That's not true!" Hermione said defensively. "And even if it were, you'd only have to look after Ethan."

"I just don't get why you'd want me to go," Lavender said. "It wasn't exactly the time of my life there. First there was that horrid Draco Malfoy, and then..."

"You met someone you fell in love with," Hermione interjected. "Not to mention you and I became best friends there, too. I'd really like to have you there, Lavender. Really."

"You would?" Lavender asked uncertainly.

"Yes," Hermione said honestly. "And not just to baby-sit. Really. Come on. It will be just like old times. And I really don't think Seamus would be there."

"I wouldn't care if he was," Lavender stuck her nose in the air. "I wouldn't talk to him."

"On the off chance that he was there," Hermione said. "What would you do?"

"Ignore him," Lavender said with the slightest tremble in her voice. "Seeing him would have no effect whatsoever on me."

"I find that hard to believe," Harry said, coming into the kitchen, his hair as messy as always and he was wearing only his pyjama bottoms.

"Sod off Harry," Lavender frowned at him.

"That's Mr. Wonderful to you," Harry corrected with a wide grin.

Lavender made a face. "Sometimes I wish I never called you that. Completely went to your head."

"You were just telling it like it is," Harry said pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Did Julie leave for her interview already?"

"You missed her," Hermione nodded. "But I told her you wished her good luck."

"You know that daughter of yours is pretty fantastic," Lavender said with a grin. "She could have had her pick of any job in the world because of who she is, but she wanted to make her own way."

"She's determined just like her mum," Harry placed a hand on his wife's shoulder.

"I think she got a little bit of that from you as well," Hermione said. "I seem to remember someone being offered a free pass at Auror training, but he told them he wanted to go through it like everyone else."

Harry grinned. "That seems so long ago," he said. "Things were different back then."

Lavender smirked as she watched Harry massage Hermione's shoulders. "And some things have stayed the same. Honestly, you two never do give it a rest, do you?"

"I love my wife," Harry said. "I take any chance I can get to touch her," he grinned wickedly at her.

"On that note, I think I'll get on out of here," Lavender said, picking up her sunglasses and bag from the table. "Just remember that you have an innocent young boy in the house that you don't want to scar for life."

"He's learned not to walk in without checking the room first," Harry said shamelessly.

"Harry!" Hermione gasped.

"That's way too much information," Lavender said, shaking her head. "Now I see that I should definitely go with you two to protect that poor little boy."

"Go with us where? To Hillsdale?" Harry asked. He didn't think Lavender would be interested in going and didn't think Hermione was actually going to ask her.

"Yes," Lavender said, shaking her head. "I must be crazy..."

Hermione smiled at her. "I'm glad you're coming with us. I haven't heard yet from Ron or Cho, but I assume they'll be going as well."

"Good," Lavender said. "I'll see you later then, rabbits."

"That's Mr. and Mrs. Wonderful to you!" Harry called cheekily as she left.