Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Lost. Love Found. by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Lost. Love Found.

Harrys Mistress

Here's another update! It's kind of lengthy which I'm sure you guys won't mind. Thanks for sticking with it even though I know it's going slow between H/Hr. Don't worry, I promise I will do my best to make it worth the wait. Enjoy and Happy Halloween!

~HM

Chapter 13

After a long day at work Harry decided to stop in at his favorite pub just around the corner from his office. He had been going to the Corner Pub, easily named since it was nestled on a corner, since he started his Auror training just shortly after the war.

It was owned by the Finkle family, whose great-great-great-grandfather had opened up the pub after he retired as an Auror. It was tradition that the eldest son of that generation was to take over after he retired from being an Auror. Being an Auror was another tradition in the Finkle family, almost every person born into the family, male or female, had become an Auror.

The pub had become like a second home to Harry and he always felt he could be himself. Ginny had never cared for the Corner, mostly because it kept Harry away from her some nights. She never really understood that there were times he needed to get away from everything and let loose with his buddies. A guys night out was something every man deserved now and again. They had had many fights over the years about him showing up at home late after spending hours at the pub.

He hadn't been back since the death of his wife, mostly because he had his hands full with the kids and of course with getting the new house ready. They were all moved in now and towards the end of his day he had a longing for the Corner Pub. He wanted to sit in his favorite booth and sip on his favorite beer while he took time to himself.

He didn't know what to expect from Hermione when he Owled her to let her know of his plans. Was she going to get snippy like Ginny? Demand him to come home instead to help with Nora? He couldn't see her saying that, but then again, one never knew when it came to women. However, when she Owled back a response he was pleasantly surprised by her answer…

Don't worry, I understand. Everyone deserves a little time on their own to unwind. Have a drink for me. Nora and I will see you when we see you.

~Hermione

p.s. If you come home late drunk…try your best to be quiet and not wake Nora. I'll have to hurt you otherwise.

Harry chuckled to himself as he walked into the pub. It was a relief that Hermione was so laid back about it. Although they weren't married like he was with Ginny, he still lived with her and had the same responsibilities towards her…minus the whole sex thing. So it was cool of her to let him do this.

Merlin, he missed sex, he thought as he slid into his booth. He couldn't even remember the last time he had sex. It had been at least a month before the accident, he and Ginny had been going through a dry spell. Could he even remember what it was like? Ginny had been his first and only so was their sex life even any good? Yes, it always felt good, but what if it wasn't great? He had no one to compare it to so he wouldn't know. Maybe he needed to have a fling. Just a fling. He wasn't anywhere near ready for a serious relationship.

He did, however, had a glimpse of what it was like to snuggle up to a soft female body a few weeks ago when he had fallen asleep in Hermione's bed. He had woke up to find himself spooning with Hermione and it felt so good to be in a woman's arms again. So good in fact, that he had to quickly slip out of bed before Hermione woke up and felt just how good he felt. The evidence had been firmly pressed against her ass. It was a good thing she had never woken up, because it would have been extremely awkward.

It wasn't as if he felt that way about her. It was just him having a typical male reaction to a female body. Hermione happened to have a nice one, so naturally…he would react. So what if he had felt the urge to roll her on her back, nestle himself between her legs and sink deeply into her. It was just because he had been deprived of sex…that was all. That's all it could be because Hermione was his best friend and that was it. His best friend…with legs that went on for miles. He wondered what it would feel like to have those legs wrapped tightly around him in…

"Hey there, stranger." Harry jumped in his seat so suddenly, the owner of the voice laughed. "Woah there, Harry," she laughed. "Sneak up on you, did I?"

Harry sighed placing a hand over his heart, laughing softly. "Sorry, Alex," he said to the waitress he had known for years. "I must have been daydreaming."

"I'll say," the only daughter of George Finkle Sr. said. "The usual for you?"

"Yeah, that be great," he said with a small smile. "Thanks, Alex."

"Be right back," Alex said, spinning around as she whipped her long black hair in the process.

Alone, Harry scrubbed his face with his hands, getting rid of images he shouldn't be having of Hermione out of his head. He really needed to get laid or else he'd have to tell Hermione to lock her bedroom door before she went to bed.

"Here you go," Alex said placing a pint in front of her. "Good to see you back, Harry."

"Good to be back," he said before taking his first sip. "Really good," he added smacking his lips. "You look great, Lexie. No possible way you've had five kids with a body like that."

Alex playfully slapped him with her towel. "Careful, Potter, or I'll leave my husband for you."

"Only in my dreams, Lexie," he teased with a wink. "How is that husband of yours?"

"Oh, he's back in the kitchen," she said nodding her head back. "Hale just got back from a field mission, which you know since you assigned him the Head Auror on the case."

Harry nodded. "He did a good job."


"I'm just glad he got back in one piece," she said looking back towards the kitchen, even though she couldn't see him.

"He's one of the best, Lexie," he assured her. "I'd tell you not to worry, but since you practically grew up with the risk, I know it won't work."

"I know the risk," she said sighing as she decided to take a seat across from Harry since her feet were killing her. Plus, she really missed looking at the man. So what if he was a little younger than she, he was still a looker and she had an appreciation for the male form. Even if she was happily married. "Never gets easier, though."

"No, it doesn't. So, how are the girls?" he asked hoping to get her mind off it.

"A handful as always," she said beaming at the thought of them. "Bianca has a little crush on Hugo, you know."

"She does?" Harry asked with a laugh thinking of Alex's youngest daughter who just started her first year. "I won't tell Hugo, it would terrify him."

"He's a good kid…all of them are. Yours and Hermione's. How are you two doing?"

"Better," he assured her. "Especially since we have each other, I couldn't imagine going through this without her."

"She's a dear, you should bring her along next time."

"Maybe I will," he said taking another healthy sip. "She does like it here. We both appreciate you and your family making it to the funeral. Merlin knows the Finkle family doesn't shut down the pub in the middle of the day for just anyone. It meant a lot to us."

"Of course, sweetie," she said flipping back her hair and leaned against the table. "You're practically family, you know."

He smiled and gave her a wink that sent her stomach into a flutter. "I know."

"Oh, you are a sweetie," she said getting up from her seat and went over to kiss his cheek. "Don't be a stranger anymore, okay? We all miss seeing you around her."

"I'll try not to," he promised.

"I'll hold you to that. Now…I better get to work and it looks like this fellow over here wants to talk to you."

When Alex walked away, he didn't know what to think when he saw Draco Malfoy standing there. "Malfoy," he said with a nod.

"Potter." He walked closer to the table and nodded his head to the seat Alex had just occupied, "May I?"

"Sure."

Draco shrugged out of his cloak and slid in the booth across from Harry. Alex walked up and took his order and when she left he looked at Harry. "I'm sorry about Ron and Ginny."

"Thanks." Harry gave a little shrug. "Things are getting better."

Alex placed Draco's pint in front of him and quietly disappeared again. "How's Hermione?"

"Doing good. She's writing again."

"That's good to hear. My wife will be pleased, she liked her books."

Harry lifted a brow. "She did?"

"Yes." He took a sip. "Tell Hermione I said hi."

"I'll do that." Harry cocked his head to the side. "Draco, are we having polite conversation?"

"Looks that way," he said with a smirk. "Is it freaking you out?"

"A little," he admitted before topping off his drink.

"Me too," he said taking another sip. "We can stop if you want."

"Another one, Harry?" Alex asked picking up his empty glass.

"Please," he said with an almost urgent tone in his voice. "Er…Lexie…this is Draco Malfoy."

"Nice to meet you," she said shaking his hand. "Welcome to the Corner."

"Thanks."

"Just let me know when you need a refill," she said before walking off.

"Have you ever been here before?" Harry asked.

"No, but I always have been curious about it," he said looking around the room. "My wife and I didn't see eye to eye on something and had a little fight."

"Came here to lick your wounds, did you?" Harry asked with a grin as he picked up his newly fresh pint.

Draco winced. "I wouldn't say it like that. Just…decided to come here on a whim to…"

"Hide out?"

Draco scowled. "You're pushing it, Potter."

Harry laughed. "Now this is more like it," he said lifting his glass to him. "So what was the fight about?"

"I'd rather not discuss it, but ask me again after I a few more beers."

"Okay. I'll keep that in mind."

"Have you heard from your son lately?"

"Which one?"


"The youngest. Albus. According to my son, they're friends now."

Harry's mouth tilted up. "Yeah, he told me. Ironic, huh?"

"Very. Who would have thought that our sons would end up being best friends."

"I sure wouldn't have."

"And not only that, but Scorpios is going to the Yule Ball with Rose." Harry choked on his beer, causing Draco to wince. "Guess you didn't hear about that."

"Rose?" Harry coughed as he banged his fist on his chest. "My Rose?"


Draco lifted a brow. "Your Rose?"

"She's as good as…I thought Rose hated Scorpios."

"And I thought Scorpios hated Rose." Draco shrugged. "We were both wrong."

"So…are they dating now?"

"I don't think so…just friends from what I can tell, but that might not be the case for long."

"I'll worry about that when it happens," he said letting out a deep breath. "Besides, Rose is too young to date."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Oh, please."

"Hey, you don't have a little girl, you don't know what it's like"

"Thank Merlin for that…one son is enough."

"Yeah, why is that?"

"What?"

"Why did you and…Natasha, right?"

Draco nodded. "Yeah."

"Why didn't you and Natasha have anymore after Scorpios?"

Draco squirmed in his seat. "Funny you should ask, because that was what the fight was about."

Harry blinked. "Excuse me?"

"Natasha wants another child."

Intrigued, Harry leaned back in the booth with a grin on his face. "Oh yeah?"

Draco winced. "Yes. She's always wanted another one…she first brought it up when Scorpios was about two, but…I told her I wasn't ready. Having one was scary enough, I can't imagine having two. So what if Scorpios is an only child, so was I and I turned out okay, right? No, don't answer that," he added quickly when Harry had opened his mouth to comment. "I thought she had forgotten about it, but she all of the sudden told me she wanted another one…during sex of all times." Harry chocked on his drink again and Draco smirked. "Sorry…to much information?"

"Just a bit," he said recovering from another shock. "Although, I'll have to admit I'm jealous. I haven't had sex in almost seven months."

"That sucks…I figured you and Hermione would have shagged by now."

Harry didn't choke this time, but he did sputter beer down his chin. "Dammit, Malfoy…stop doing that!"

Draco chuckled. "Sorry…it's not like I'm doing it on purpose."

"Could have fooled me," he said wiping his face cleaned. "Me and Hermione? Where the hell did that come from?"

"Why is that surprising? You two have always been close."

"Yes, but as friends and friends only. Hermione and I…we've never…I mean…not even anywhere close to…it be too weird."

Draco just shrugged it off. "Okay…if you say so. You would know more than me I guess."

"You bloody well right about that!" Harry snapped banging his fist on the table. "So just back off and stop talking about Hermione and I shagging, because it's not going to happen!"

Draco lifted his hands in surrender. "Woah, easy Tiger…and you might want to keep it down. I think half the bar heard you."

Harry groaned as he buried his face in his hands. "I really need a shag."

"You can say that again," Draco said with a chuckle. "And another drink couldn't hurt either. Hey Alex? Another drink for Harry, here…and put it on my tab."

XXX

It was just shy of noon when Hermione finally heard Harry rummage around upstairs, so she decided to put on another pot of coffee and make some toast. She figured he had a late night last night, so he would want his favorite hangover remedy. A hot cup of coffee and buttered toast slathered with strawberry jam.

She had waited up as long as she could last night, but then gave up around eleven and finally went to sleep. He must have been quiet coming in as she asked, because she didn't hear so much as a peep. In fact when she woke up the next morning, she snuck her head in his bedroom just to make sure he made it home safely. He had been lying flat on his stomach on top of the sheets still fully clothed and completely passed out. But he was safe.

When the coffee was done and the toast was ready, she put everything on a tray and made her way up the stairs to his bedroom. "Harry?" she called out as she opened the door with her foot. "You alive in there?"

"Barely," he said coming out of the bathroom dressed only in a pair of jeans half buttoned. "The shower helped, but…is that what I think it is?"

Hermione tried not to stare, she really did, but how was that possible when Harry was stripped to the waist, still damp after a shower and looking absolutely delicious. "What?" she asked dazed and then realized he was looking at the tray. "Oh…yes…er…thought you would need it."

"A hot cup of coffee and buttered toast with strawberry jam," he said walking over to her. "You remembered."

Hermione blushed. "Of course I did…it's been awhile since I've had to make it for you, but I didn't forget."

Harry grinned as he took the tray, then leaned over and kissed her cheek. "You're a doll."

"It was nothing," she said silently enjoying that brief brush of lips on her skin. And did he have to smell so good? "You were out late."

Harry set the tray down on his desk and took a greedy sip of the coffee. "Mmm…yeah…sorry about that."

"Oh, you don't have to apologize," she said sitting down on the edge of his bed. "You're entitled to a night out."

"Thanks," he said before taking his first bite of toast. "Did I wake you?"

"No, you were pretty quiet," she said. "I didn't hear you at all."

"Good," he said finishing off his toast and then concentrated on his coffee. "Hey, where's the munchkin?"

"Molly picked her up this morning," she told him. "She's watching her all day…you and I need to start our Christmas shopping."

Harry winced. "I guess we do," he admitted. "Have you gotten the kids Christmas lists?"

"Every single one of them. They're pretty specific so it shouldn't be that bad."

"I can't believe they'll be back in a few weeks," Harry said setting down his coffee and went over to the closet to finish changing. "I can't wait for them to see the new house."

"I'm sure they'll love it," Hermione said while she watched Harry slip on a white undershirt, sighing wistfully when the thin cloth covered his washboard abs. "So who were you drinking it up with last night?"

Harry grinned as he tugged on his green sweater Hermione had gotten him last Christmas. "You'll never guess," he said grabbing a pair of socks and his trainers, before walking over to sit next to her on the bed. "Draco Malfoy."

Hermione's jaw dropped. "Uh-uh, you're lying."

Harry chuckled. "Honest…he came strolling in the bar and asked if he could sit down. He wanted to tell you hi by the way."

"That's weird."

Harry shrugged as he started to put on his socks. "I know, but after awhile the two of us started to have a pretty good time. We're going to try an make it a monthly thing."

"Seriously?" she asked surprised.

"Seriously," he said laughing in disbelief. "I guess you can say our sons inspired us to be friends."

Hermione shook her head in amazement. "Well…I guess it's a good thing. Maybe you two will become just as close as friends as you two were as enemies."

"Interesting theory." Harry said as he finished lacing up his shoes. "Maybe we will. Oh, and I also found out that Scorpios asked Rose to the Ball."

Hermione grinned. "Yes, I know. She Owled me the other day. She's trying to make it sound like it's no big deal and that they are just friends…but I can tell she's excited about it."

Harry frowned. "Rosie is too young to date."

Hermione rolled her eyes with a laugh. "She's almost fifteen, Harry."

"Almost, being the key word…don't look at me like that, I'm entitled to worry about Rosie, Ron will find a way to come back from the dead and kick my ass if I don't."

She smiled. "I know…I think it's sweet that you look after Rose like that. I also think that you're terrified because you know it won't be long till Lily starts liking boys."

Harry winced at the thought. "Don't talk about it, the idea of my Lily dating is very unsettling."

"I think she likes that Jack boy…Hugo's friend? At the train station I saw Lily blush when Jack gave her a little awkward one arm hug."

Harry scowled. "Hermione, are you trying to upset me?"

Hermione laughed. "Sorry, Harry…I'll drop it." She gave him a friendly pat on the leg. "You ready to go?" she asked standing up. "Because you and I have a lot of shopping to do."

Harry sighed standing up as well. "As ready as I'll ever be I guess."

"Don't look so wounded," Hermione laughed. "Sure our shopping list has doubled this year, but…at least we have each other."

"There is that," Harry said putting an arm around her as they descended down the stairs. "At least we have a list…kids are harder to shop for as they get older. I just don't think I can get away with buying Lily a stuffed animal anymore."

"Probably not," Hermione agreed with him. "But Nora's a sucker for stuffed animals."

Harry grinned. "I'll keep that in mind."