Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Lost. Love Found. by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Lost. Love Found.

Harrys Mistress

I bet you guys thought I went up and bailed on you, huh? Sorry it has taken so long, it's been really busy and it's only going to get worse so I tried so hard to get an update in before Christmas. I won't be able to get another update until after the New Year, the holidays are always busy for me and my huge family, plus I'm going off to Mexico for my friends wedding on January 3rd and not coming back till the 8th. So hopefully when things start to settle down I will update more frequently. So here is my Christmas update and I hope you enjoy it! Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday!

~HM

Chapter 14

"To all kids still upstairs, if you're not ready in five minutes we're leaving without you," Harry called out from the den.

"Harry, that's awful," Hermione said while putting on Nora's shoes, who was sitting on Hermione's lap petting a very happy black kitten named Boo.

"They know I'm not serious, but we only have three kids down here and you know Molly's pet peeve is tardiness."

"I'm sure she'll understand this year…Hugo…stop messing with your tie."

"But it's choking me," he complained as he fake choked, rolling his eyes behind his head before collapsing on his cousin Lily, who only laughed and shoved him off.

"Very dramatic, Hugo," Hermione said dryly.

"Where is Rosie?" Harry asked puzzled. "She's usually one of the few that's prompt."

"She's having a difficult time picking out an outfit," Lily said. "She knows Scorpius is going to be there and she's all a flutter. Not that I blame her…he is so hot."

Harry held up a hand, wincing. "Please…I don't want to hear that from you…you are way too young to like boys."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh please, Daddy….I'm twelve and a half….practically a grown up."

"Sure you are," Harry muttered as he put his fingertips on his forehead. "I'm getting a headache."

"We got another one," Hermione said when she saw Albus walk into the room.

"Thank Merlin…Al…go sit on the couch and…" He paused and with a frown leaned over and sniffed him. 'Are you wearing cologne?"

Albus turned red with embarrassment. "No! Well…maybe a tad…so what?"

"He knows Mia is going to be there," Lily teased as she fluttered her eye lashes. "Ever since he kissed her at the ball Albus has been all gooey eyed over her."

Albus scowled. "Knock it off, Lil…it was one of Freddie's mistletoe…I had to kiss her because….wipe that smirk off your face or…"

"Or you'll what? Suffocate me with your cologne?" she teased waving a hand over her face.

"All right, you're dead," he warned as he pounced at her. Lily shrieked as she got up just in time, avoiding his tackle.

Hermione watched Albus chase his little sister with a hint of amusement before finally having enough. With a wave of her hand she sent Al flying back on the couch and Lily collapsing next to him a second later. "That's enough nonsense…you two sit there quietly and keep your hands to yourself.

"Brat," Albus muttered to Lily.

"Dork," she fired back.

"Hey!" Hermione warned firmly. "Don't make me use the 'Stuck On You' punishment."

"What's that?" Albus asked.

Hugo winced. "It's awful…she makes it where you are stuck shoulder to shoulder and you'll stay that way until both of you apologize. Rosie and I one time were stuck together for three days." He shuddered. "We finally couldn't stand each other's stank since we hadn't showered and we both forced out an apology."

"Wow," Albus said in awe and looked at Lily. "And I thought Mum was tough."

"Tell me about it…let's not ever fight again…at least in Aunt Hermione's presence.

"Deal."

"I'm ready," Rosie said as she hurried in. "Sorry…I just couldn't make up my mind to wear so…"

"You're wearing make-up," Harry interrupted, tilting her chin up to look at her face. "You never wear make-up."

"Uncle Harry, did you ever thin that maybe I'm growing up?" she asked with a sweet smile.

"Maybe," he teased with a smile. "You do look pretty grown up."

She beamed up at him. "Really?"

"Really," he said tweaking her nose. "Now go and sit down…we're just waiting on James who….

"Hey, sorry…I'm ready," James said as he hustled into the room. "It took me forever to find my jumper…then my trousers were under my bed for some reason…then…"

"Okay, okay, we get it," Harry said cutting him off. "And you might find things easier if you clean up your room every once in awhile but that's another discussion for another day. We're already late…kids let's move out."

Everyone popped up and ran over to the fireplace eager and impatient. "Calm down everyone will get there eventually," Hermione said as she grabbed the pot full of Floo Powder. "Okay…you know the drill get in line…speak clearly…I don't want anyone lost on Christmas Eve, okay?"

Albus was first and grabbed some powder before stepping into the fireplace. "The Burrow!" he screamed and green flames engulfed him before he disappeared.

"Okay Lil…you're up next."

"Dad, can I go ahead and Apparrate?" James asked from the back of the line.

"Sure…Apparrate in the garden…and stay in one piece please."

"Don't worry," he said with a grin and then ran out the front door since he couldn't Apparrate from the inside.

Once the older kids were all gone, Hermione stepped in with Nora at her hip and Harry quickly followed. As Harry stepped into the kitchen of the Burrow he was hit with warmth, the wonderful aroma of Molly's fine cooking…and a whole lot of commotion.

Molly was taking a break from the stove with Nora already on her hip. The kids were scattered everywhere, greeting aunts or uncles, laughing with cousins. "Harry!" Molly exclaimed going over to greet him. "Happy Christmas, dear."

"Happy Christmas," he said giving her a kiss on her cheek. "I see you're already got the munchkin."

"Yes and if I didn't have supper to cook I'd hold her all night." She gave Nora a quick kiss before placing her down on the floor. "Go on, luv…go play with your cousins."

Nora ran along clapping happily as she chased after the kids who were leaving. "Hey, Lily, keep an eye on Nora, will you?"

"Sure Dad," she said before holding her hand out to her baby cousin. "Come on, sweetie…let's go play."

"Harry, you might want to go rescue Draco…he and his family are already here…his wife is a dear by the way…she's helping with the dressing. Anyway, you should probably go rescue Draco over by the kitchen door. Aunt Perla has him cornered…you know she's a pincher."

Harry winced as he rubbed his bum. "Don't I know it….and thank you for letting them come tonight…They don't really have any other family…and Albus and Rosie have gotten to become good friends with Scorpius."

"Mia too, I hear. They both went upstairs to wait on Al and Rosie. Neville is with Arthur in the study making holiday beverages and smoking cigars if you want to grab Draco and join them."

"I think I'll do that," he said with a smile before making his way over to his new friend. "Draco."

Draco's panicked eyes turned urgent as he spotted him. "Harry, hey….I was just…er…"

"There's cocktails and cigars being served in the study…want to go?"

"Yes," he said urgently. "Sounds great."

"Harry, dear!"

Harry turned quickly to Aunt Perla to keep his bum away from her bony pinchy fingers. "Hey…Aunt Perla…Happy Christmas."

"Such a handsome young man," she said leaning up and pinching him hard on the cheek since she couldn't reach his other kind of cheek.

Harry winced. "Ah…er…thank you…good to see you, too." He pulled away as soon as he could…rubbing his bruised face. "Let's go," he muttered to Draco and quickly pulled him away. "Sorry you had to deal with her…she's a little on the crazy side."

"You think?" Draco asked sarcastically. "The woman pinched my ass at least three times….she's sneaky!"

"Tell me about it," Harry said as they walked into the study where the fire was cackling and the scent of rich cigars filled the air. He never really smoked, except on special occasions…and this was definitely a special occasion. "This is more like it."

"You can say that again," Draco said as he picked up a cigar that a house elf was passing around. "Let's go get a stiff drink and spread some Christmas cheer."

XXXX

"So, how are you and Harry doing?" Luna asked as she sat next to Hermione on the couch. They had just been kicked out of the kitchen after Molly had assured them things were under control and that there was nothing they could do.

"We're doing okay," she said accepting the glass of red wine Luna handed her. "I know it's hard for the kids being that this is the first Christmas without them, but…they are all putting on a brave face."

"It can't be easy for you and Harry either," Victoire commented as she sat in the chair by the fire, sipping on eggnog.

"No, it's not….but we're helping each other out." She gave them an assuring smile. "We keep each other sane I guess you could say. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have Harry."

"Well, you do have Harry, so no worries," Luna assured her. "I can't think of a time where Harry wasn't by your side…he would do anything for you."

Hermione blushed. "I know. I'm lucky to have him."

"Speaking of Harry…and the rest of the men for that matter," Victoire said looking around. "Where have they disappeared to?"

"I can answer that," Natasha Malfoy said entering the room. "I believe Arthur has taken them out to the barn. Molly told me he just got a ridiculously expensive Muggle car so I'm guessing he's showing it off to the guys."

Katie snorted a laugh as she walked in behind Natasha. "Typical Arthur. I need some wine…Natasha, would you like a glass?"

"Oh…no, I'm fine with water," she said walking into the room and sat down in one of the vacant chairs. "I just found out a few days ago I'm pregnant."

All the girls gasped and awed in joy. "Really?" Hermione asked with a smile. "That's wonderful, Natasha. How's Draco taking the news."

She winced. "Well…I haven't told him yet. I know he's going to freak out so…I'm going to wait till after the holidays."

"Why would he freak out?" Katie asked sitting herself down after pouring herself a glass of white wine. "He seems like a wonderful father."

Natasha huffed out a breath. "You would think the insufferable man would know that himself, but he's too much of an idiot to realize it. He thinks he's terrible with kids and he's nothing but sweet…he has this fear that he's going to turn out like his father."

Hermione gave her a sympathetic look. "Since I knew his father, I guess I don't blame him."

"I understood when I first got pregnant, but you would think that he'd realize by now he's nothing like his horrible father."

"Well, he'll warm up to the idea," Luna assured her. "He's a great father….it's obvious Scorpius worships him."

Natasha let out a laugh. "That's the truth. Why just the other day…"

Before she could finish a loud thud came from upstairs, causing them all to jump in their seats and look up at the ceiling. A clatter of feet came down the stairs and Hermione's hurt lurched in her throat when she heard Rosie calling for her. "Mum! Hurry! It's Nora!"

Hermione flew up from her seat and ran quickly to the stairs, the rest of the gang following close behind her. "What is it?" she asked urgently as she met Rosie at the top of the stairs. "What happened?"

"She's in the playroom…she fell…"

Hermione burst through the door to see kids surrounding the loud cries of her baby girl. "Move aside…move aside." She found James holding Nora who was crying so loud her face was red. "What happened?" Hermione asked kneeling by them and taking Nora into her arms.

"I don't know how it happened…she wanted to ride the toy broom but we told her it was too dangerous…she must have gotten on it when no one was looking. I'm so sorry, Aunt Mione…I…I wasn't in the room, I was…."

"It was my fault," Lily said as she stepped into the circle. "I was suppose to keep an eye on her…Dad asked me too." Tears now swarmed her eyes. "I just had my eye off her for one second. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault, sweetie," she assured her reaching up and caressing her hair. "It was an accident."

"Is she going to be okay?" she asked putting a hand on Nora's small back. "She won't stop crying."

"She has a little bump on her head, but I think she'll pull through."

Molly came busting through the circle of kids. "Is she okay?"

"I think she's okay," Hermione said standing up and tried her best to sooth her. "It's okay, Nora…you're okay."

"Da..Da..Daddy!" she cried loudly. "I want my, Daddy!"

Hermione's eyes widened with shock while she looked at Molly, who had tears in her eyes. "Oh, sweetie…"

"Has she ever cried for her Dad when she was hurt?" Molly whispered as she ran a hand over Nora's sensitive bump.

"Never. And it was never Daddy…she always called Ron, Dada."

"Daddy!" she cried. "I want my Daddy!"

"It's okay," Hermione cooed as she bounced her up and down.

"Where is she?!" Harry asked urgently as he flew into the room. "What happened?"

"She's okay," Molly assured him and then watched Nora's eyes go wide when she saw Harry.

"Daddy!" she cried out flinging her arms and body at him so he had no choice but to catch her and pull her into his arms. "Daddy, I huwt! I huwt, Daddy!"

Panic filled him as he looked over at Hermione who could only watch in awe. He then looked over at Molly who had a hand over her mouth while tears were now pouring down her cheeks. "I…I'm sorry," he said urgently looking around at all the stunned faces. "She didn't mean…she doesn't realize…I'll…I'll correct her…I…I'm so sorry."

He escaped from the room as quickly as she could with Nora still whimpering as she held onto him tight. He walked into the room that had once belonged to Ron and made his way over to the bed. He stretched out and brought Nora against his chest as he tried his best to sooth her.

"It huwts, Daddy…"

Harry closed his eyes as he felt his heart break at the sound of her sweet voice calling him 'Daddy.' Not being able to bear her being in pain any longer, he put his hand over her small bump and whispered a healing spell and the pain she was feeling quickly slipped away from her and he now felt the pain in his head and tried his best not to wince. "Oh munchkin, that did hurt, didn't it," he said as he kissed the top of her head.

"Uh-huh," she said as she sniffed back her tears.

"Feel better?" he asked as he lifted her up so she could sit on his lap. "Pain all gone?"

She nodded as she wiped her tears. "I fewll…" She tapped her head. "Booboo."

"I know you fell and got a booboo, but you're okay now." Harry smiled and pulled her back to his chest. "C'mere munchkin." Harry kissed the top of her head and then looked up to see Hermione standing at the door. "Hey…she's okay now."

Hermione closed the door behind her and walked over to the bed, sitting down at his hip and rubbed Nora's back. "I'm glad. Harry…I know what you're thinking…don't feel guilty."

He sighed as he looked away with remorse. "I don't want her to forget Ron…I never wanted to replace him."

"Of course you don't," she said softly putting a hand on his arm. "Harry, she can have you both…and she will never forget Ron…I wouldn't let her." Hermione reached for the picture of Ron on the nightstand. "Nora…sweetie…who's this?"

Nora looked at the picture and smiled. "Dada."

"Dada…that's right…and whose got you?"

Nora smiled shyly as she snuggled against Harry's chest. "Daddy."

"Daddy," Hermione said as she brushed back her daughter's bangs and then looked at Harry who still had a guilty look on his face. "See? She can have you both, Harry." Hermione sighed and set the picture back down on the table when Harry remained silent. "If you had been the one to die, Harry, who would you want to raise your kids?"

"You know the answer to that, Hermione, but there is a big difference between raising…and having your daughter call another man, 'Daddy'. My kids are big enough to know what's going on, so are the rest of your kids which is why they still call me Uncle Harry."

"Exactly, but Nora isn't so you can't blame her for it."

"Of course I don't blame her," Harry said holding a now sleeping Nora tighter against him. "It's not her fault; I've been the only constant male companion in her life. It's Ron I'm thinking about. I just can't help but feel guilty, Hermione."

"Don't," she said softly as she gripped his hand. "It's not what Ron would have wanted. He'd want you to be the father for Nora…you know in your heart you are the only one he would want to raise Nora."

"I know, but…"

"No buts," she said firmly shaking her head. "Nora adores you…She loves you so much…"

Harry's eyes grew with panic when he saw tears form in her eyes. "Oh Merlin, don't cry Hermione…"

"Sorry," she blubbered as she wiped away her tears. "Can't you see that she that she needs more than her Uncle Harry…she needs a father."

"Okay," he said softly reaching up to wipe away some lingering tears. "It's all right…I love her, too…I'll be a father to her…I promise."

She nodded as she sniffed back her tears. "Sorry…I guess I'm more emotional than I thought I'd be."

"It's understandable. This is our first Christmas without them."

"Yeah," she said sadly as Harry wiped away the last of her tears before she could. "I just don't want you to feel guilty, Harry."

"I don't." When Hermione gave him a look he sighed. "Okay, I'll try my best not to feel guilty. I can't just turn it off, you know."

"I know," she said reaching up to brush his bangs. "You'll get use to her calling you 'Daddy' and…" She stopped short when he winced at her touch. "What is it? Harry, why do you have bump on your head?"

"Er…well, I…"

"Harry, you didn't," Hermione sighed shaking her head. "There are other healing spells that you could have used."

"I know, but they wouldn't have healed her fast enough…don't look at me like that, I couldn't bear seeing her in that much pain and let me tell you…she was in a lot of pain."

"I know you meant well, but…"

"Look, it's already done, Mione, so why don't you just kiss it to make it feel better and let it go."

Hermione huffed out a breath. "You are so stubborn…but very well." She shifted up on her knee and loomed over him as she softly pressed her lips on his small bump. "There…better?" she asked shifting her eyes to his.

He gave her a grin. "A little…maybe you should do it one more time to make sure."

"You're horrible," she said laughing softly before giving him another kiss then sighed when Harry pulled her down next to him. "You're wonderful," she said with her head on his shoulder.

"You're just trying to make me blush," he teased as he wrapped an arm around her.

She couldn't help but giggle as she snuggled closer. "I love you."

"Now you've done it…I can feel my cheeks getting warm." Hermione laughed again as Harry kissed her temple. "I love you, too."