Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Lost. Love Found. by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Lost. Love Found.

Harrys Mistress

Here's another update! Thanks again for all your reviews! Hope you guys enjoy this next one and I promise to get a new one up soon!

Chapter 17

It was that time of year again. A time Harry despised every year. It was Recruitment Week…a week filled with going through applications of wizards all over the world who had a desire to work under him. Although there were many other respectable Aurors from different regiments all over the world, most Auror hopefuls applied to Harry first, wanting to be one of the select few to work under the great Harry Potter.

To Harry, it just meant more paperwork to go through. Luckily, his team went through all the applications and narrowed it down to the best on parchment, before Harry looked himself. The goal was to at least get the applications down to a hundred. He wanted the best and after looking at each application and reading all letters of recommendations from professors or other existing Aurors, he cut it down to about forty, sometimes fifty if it was a good year.

Those lucky recruits would have a one on one interview with him and after all the interviews were completed, he and his team would pick twenty-five to go into training camp. After that, it was up to them to pass training and become an Auror. Usually, half of them would bow out and only the strong and determined would make it all the way.

Harry had just finished another interview and it did not look good for Mr. Glynn Tyson who just graduated from Hogwarts. Although he was decent on parchment and had high scores in almost all his classes, in person he was edgy, stuttered excessively and sweated so much Harry's palm was still wet from their departing handshake.

Knowing his next interview was sitting just outside his office, he let out a deep sigh as he fished out his application to do a quick glance through. It was impressive…very impressive. How he would do in the interview, though, was another story. When he was ready, he got up and went to the door. Opening it, he stepped out long enough to make eye contact with him, and then nodded his head. "Come on in."

The young man darted to his feet and walked past Harry into his office. "Have a seat," Harry said motioning to the chair sitting across from him. Harry sat in his own chair and picked up his quill so he could take notes. "So…ho are we doing today?"

The boy stood straight in his seat with his elbows resting on the arms of the chair. "Good, sir."

"Nervous?"

"I'm trying hard no to be, sir." He desperately wanted to fidget in his chair, but he resisted. "I want to be a part of this division, sir."

Intrigued, Harry leaned back in his chair. "And if you don't make it?"

He lifted his chin. "I'll try again next year."

Harry lifted a brow. "You won't apply for another Head Auror?"

"No, sir…this one is the best and I want to be a part of the best. Whether it takes me a year…or five years…I will be an Auror and I'm determined to take my orders from you."

"Some might cal that being cocky."

"No, sir…confident."

"Why do you want to be an Auror?"

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. "It runs in the family.

Harry's eyes narrowed. "Is that the only reason?"

He immediately sobered. "No, sir," he said firmly. "I've wanted to be an Auror practically my whole life. I want to make a difference…I know no one can do what you did, sir. It was amazing what you did…and the world isn't as dangerous as it use to be…"

"Doesn't mean this job won't be risky…there's still evil out there."

"Which is why I want to be an Auror, sir…I want to conquer evil…as big…or as little it might be."

Harry was impressed, but did not dare let the boy see it. He calmly started to scribble notes, keeping his peripheral eye on him. He didn't budge or squirm. Not bad. "Your application is quite good. O's in Dark Arts and Charms, an E in Potions…your D.A teacher gave you a lot of credit in his recommendation…said you were naturally gifted and was his best student. I fully know that Professor Crabtree is hard on his students, so that says something."

"Thank you, sir."

Harry nodded. He asked a few other questions here and there, pausing to scribbled notes in between answers. "Well…I think that covers it," Harry said, rolling up the parchment. "We'll let you know at the end of the week."

The boy's brows shot up. "That's it? Er…I mean…you don't need anything else?"

"I've heard enough…you may go," Harry said standing up.

The boy hesitated a moment then stood to his feet. "Yes, sir," he said giving him a quick handshake. "Thank you, sir."

Harry watched him head out and he had his hand on the door when Harry said his name.

The boy stopped, turned. "Sir?"

Harry circled his desk and went over to stand in front of him. The young man let go the door handle and waited for him to speak. Harry then stepped towards him and pulled him in for a hard hug. He stood there a moment before returning the hug with equal force.

"I'm awfully proud of you," Harry said.

"Thanks. So…do you do this to all the interviewers?"

Harry smacked him on the back of his head before letting him go. "Don't be a smart ass."

James grinned. "Sorry, Dad. So?"

"So what?"

James rolled his eyes. "Did I make it?"

"You know I can't tell you that…now get lost, I only have a little over an hour till my next interview and I need a good long break.

Harry started to nudge him to the door but James kept on talking. "You're not going to actually pick, Glynn, are you, Dad? He looked like he was about to melt when he came out."

Harry had to bite his lip to keep from smiling. "James…leave. Don't you have a pretty girlfriend you can annoy?"

James grinned. "Yeah…okay. I'll see you tonight."

"Looking forward to it. The kids miss you."

"Geez, I only moved out last week."

"They miss you, nonetheless. Although, Al is enjoying your room."

James snorted. "Yeah, I'll bet. Hey, can I bring Sam?"

"Of course…she's always welcome."

"Thanks, Dad…see ya."

"Bye…and look professional when you leave."

"You got it."

When he left, Harry sighed as he leaned against the door. Although Harry was proud of his son, that didn't change the fact that he was worried. The thought of sending his own son out on assignments…putting him in danger…made him sick to his stomach. He needed to talk to someone. No…not just someone. He needed to talk to Hermione. Knowing exactly where she'd be, he quickly shut down his office, let his secretary know he'd be gone until the next interview, and headed out.

Just a few moments later, he found himself standing just inside her office she had set up at home. She sat at her desk, which she had picked out in a muggle antique store. The desk was made out of dark glossy wood and planted in the center of the glossy surface was her beloved laptop. She had set up pictures of friends and family around her desk along with a few knickknacks here and there. Harry smiled when she saw the small fairy statue he had given her for her birthday awhile back and she had told him later that her fairy had become her Muse. The fairy was always perched next to her…no matter where she was writing.

Her back was facing the window, which showed a spectacular view of the cliffs. She picked out a chair that swiveled so she could turn to look at her cliffs when she chose to. He could hear the click and clatter of the keyboards as her eyes were trained on the screen. Her hair was piled messily on top of her head, but a strand would get in her way and she would hastily bat it away. You are so darn cute.

Hermione lifted up her head. "What?" She blew away a strand of hair from her face. "What?"

He must have said that aloud. "Nothing," he said stepping into the room. "Where are the kids?"

Hermione shook her head out of her haze. She had been in a zone so she was still trying to come out of it. "The kids? Oh…right…um…they are all over at Draco and Natasha's place. How long have you been standing there?"

"Awhile," he said as he stepped around the desk and leaned against it. "I like watching you work."

Hermione blinked up at him, and then blushed. "Well…that's just silly."

Harry smiled. It always amused him when she got embarrassed. "So…all the kids? Even Nora?"

"Hmm," she said as she reached up to fiddle with her pins that had slipped out of her hair. "She threw a fit when they were all leaving…she really wanted to go."

"You think they can handle that many kids at once?" Harry asked starting to get a little worried. "I mean they are just now having their second child and…"

"Don't worry, I went over real quick an hour ago to check on them and they're fine. They were swimming in their pool and Natasha told me Nora has Draco wrapped around her little finger. He's smitten."

"It's hard not to be smitten by her….why are they over there, we have a perfectly good pool out back."

"I guess they wanted a change of scenery, Harry and to be honest I'm enjoying the peace and quiet….plus, their house is also enormous and they have a Quidditch Pitch."

Harry's eyes brightened. "Yeah? Man, it's been years since I've played a match."

"Well, maybe one day you and Draco can play against each other for old time sake."

Harry winced. "That could get ugly."

Hermione laughed but then her laughter slowly died when she noticed his smile didn't quite reach his eyes. Not everyone would have caught it, but now that she was paying attention, she realized that something was upsetting him. "Hey…everything okay?" she asked placing a hand on his knee.

Harry sighed shaking his head. "And here I thought I was actually doing a good job fooling you."

"You know better."

"Yeah." He then gave a shrug. "I had a long morning and…I wanted to see you, I guess…"

"The interviews are going on, right?"

Harry nodded. "I just finished interviewing, James."

Hermione's eyes softened and immediately understood. "Oh, Harry." She got to her feet and leaned into him. Harry immediately opened his arms for her as she tucked her head under his chin. He was still leaning against her desk and she was now pressed up against him. Harry placed his lips against her hair and breathed in her musky scent. Merlin she felt good in his arms…good, and so right.

"How did he do?" she asked as her hands traveled up his back until her fingers were strumming his hair at the nape of his neck.

Harry closed his eyes at her touch. "Brilliantly…the stupid prat."

Hermione smiled. "You're proud of him."

"Yes…but why couldn't he take up Quidditch?"

"Because it's not what he wants to do…that would be Al who wants to be the Quidditch star."

Harry began to lightly stroke her back. "When James first told us he wanted to be an Auror…Ginny freaked. She told me I had to do all I could to talk him out of it. He was only five years old…"

"Ginny loved her kids…she was just a tad…"

"Overprotective," he finished for her.

"Yes…sometimes. However, that was just who she ways. If she were alive today she'd probably do everything she could to talk James out of becoming an Auror."

"I wanted to talk him out of it," he said as he moved his head so he could nuzzle her neck.

She shivered at the feel of his warm breath on her skin. "But you didn't."

"No," he murmured. "Hermione, if it was Hugo."

"It doesn't matter if it's Hugo or James…I love James just as much as my one children. I will support him…no matter how scared I am."

Harry held her close. "If anything happens to him, Hermione…"

"No, don't even go there, Harry."

"But how could I not? Hermione…"

She arched her back slightly so she could look up at him. Her hands came up to his face and her thumb caressed his rough cheek. "We've got at least two years till he makes it into field work. He's young and has a lot to learn. The more he trains…the more he is able to accomplish…the more confident you will be that he will always come out on top."

Harry let out a shaky breath as he dropped his forehead to hers. "How do you always know the right things to say to me?"

Hermione smiled softly as she closed her eyes. "Years and years of practice."

"Merlin, we have known each other quite some time, haven't we?" he asked lifting his head to smile down at her.

Her eyes fluttered open and she returned the smile. "Well, I don't know," she teased. "I guess just shy of three decades would be a lot."

Harry groaned. "Damn, that's a long time…we're getting old, Hermione."

"Bite your tongue," she said as she gave him a light playful slap on the cheek.

"Hey," he laughed rubbing his cheek. "That hurt."

She rolled her eyes. "You're such a baby," she teased but shifted up his body and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek.

Later, both of them would wonder why it was that kiss. From so many other times she had kissed him on the cheek…why was it that kiss that changed everything. One minute they had been teasing and as soon as her lips touched his stubble cheek, something dramatically changed. A spark erupted between them that neither of them were prepared for. Harry's smile that was plastered on his face faded as soon as he felt her body slide up his. Hermione's heart began to hammer against her chest when she slowly moved her lips away. She didn't want to look into his eyes because she knew that as soon as she did they would both be in trouble.

Harry tilted her chin up so she had no choice but to flicker her eyes to his. So much was said between them from that one look. Desire. Passion. Longing. How could this have happen? How did one simple peck on the cheek change everything in an instant?

"Harry," she said shakily as her eyes shifted to his mouth for only a quick moment.

"Hermione," he whispered as his lips moved towards hers.

They were only inches apart but covering that small space between them seemed like an eternity. Finally, their lips touched in a timid kiss. Harry's hand that had been on her chin slid up to her cheek while Hermione shyly placed her palms on his chest.

As their lips absorbed, a soft sigh merged with a throaty moan. Harry pulled back, but only to come back for more sweet, soft kisses. He had to use all his will power to keep the kiss gentle when all he wanted to do was devour. This was new territory for them and the last thing he wanted to do was scare her.

He was doing a good job of it, but then during one of the moments where they paused to breath, Hermione's lips parted ever so slightly and when their mouths merged again, she teased her tongue into his mouth. It was a light caress between tongues and ended just as quickly as it began, but it was enough to send him over the edge. He groaned low in his throat as he slid an arm around her waist and held on tight while he pried her lips open with his tongue and plunged.

Her shy hands were no longer shy as she flung her arms around his neck and held on tight. The soft, sweet kisses and gentle touches they started out with were now replaced with open mouths, sliding tongues and eager gropes. Harry's hands were lost in her hair and neither of them noticed the hairpins falling out and scattering on the desk and floor.

"Merlin, Hermione," Harry breathed pulling away hoping to give them a breather, but just groaned and went back for more. She was so sweet…so seductively addicting…he couldn't stop kissing her. His tongue stroked hers over and over again and he thought he was close to losing his mind. He didn't know when the last time he kissed a woman like this. Probably because he never had. His kisses with Ginny…even the frantic ones…had never been this intense. Bloody hell, he wanted to touch every inch of her.

Hermione gasped when Harry suddenly turned so she was now pressed up against the desk. He was so fast she didn't even realize how he did it, but the next thing she knew she was sitting on the desk and Harry was pressed up between her thighs. Never breaking the kiss, she shifted her hips up and wrapped her legs around him, then moaned in delight when he pressed his pelvis against her.

Harry tore his lips away from her mouth only to run frantic kisses down her neck while his hands snuck under the hem of her blouse. He wanted flesh and groaned in approval when he discovered she had been going braless. His fingers grazed the sides of her breasts and felt her tremble against him. "Mione." He turned his attention back to her mouth, nipping her bottom lip while his hands gently cupped her.

She gasped, arching her back when his thumbs brushed over her nipples, then moaned before pulling Harry down for a passionate kiss. They both were losing control. They couldn't stop touching each other, kissing each other. "Harry," she said practically sobbing as she tugged at the buttons of his shirt. "Please…it's been so long."

"I know," he growled against her throat when her hands explored his bare chest. "I know…

Hermione shrugged his shirt off his shoulder as their mouths met yet again. Harry took his hands from under her shirt only for the purpose of fully removing it. However, as soon as he had started to lift the material up, the sound of the front door opening halted their actions.

"Aunt Mione?" James' muffled voice carried through her office door. "You home?"