Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Lost. Love Found. by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Lost. Love Found.

Harrys Mistress

Thanks for all the reviews! Here's another update! Enjoy!


Chapter 5

Hermione could have easily slept longer, but an annoyingly bright light had her eyes squinting open. She lifted her head from the pillow, blinking her blurred vision into focus. Hermione's mouth dropped when she realized the bright light was Harry's Patronus.

"Hermione," the stag suddenly said in Harry's voice. "Get your lazy but out of bed and come downstairs. Your birthday breakfast is ready."

Hermione smiled as the stag disappeared, then sniffed the air greedily, catching the aroma of brewed coffee and fried bacon. She had always had a small weakness for Harry's cooking.

She sat up in Harry's bed, but looked over at the other side that was still neatly made. On the first night after the kids left, Harry said he'd stay in one of the extra rooms.

"I know we only shared a bed because we had to," he said awkwardly after they put Nora down. "But with the kids gone…I can just sleep in the boys room until we move into the new house."

"Oh," she said frowning slightly at the door to the room. She hadn't even thought about that. "Right, of course."

"I mean, is that okay?" Harry asked holding up his hands. "I just figured…"

"No, it's fine…I mean, you're right…it's silly to share a bed when we don't have to."

However, that night she had a hard time falling asleep. They never slept close when they did share a bed, but she had gotten use to the way he would constantly move around, he could never stay still, or the slow steady breathing once he finally found a comfortable position. She missed his presence and the dark room seemed so quiet without him. She wasn't use to sleeping alone.

Hermione shook her head clear and whipped the covers off. It was on the time to feel sorry of herself. She had a birthday breakfast waiting for her.

"Okay, Nora…let's get you in the highchair," Harry said after putting the milk back in the fridge.

Nora jumped up and down, lifting her arms up to him. "Eat! Eat!"

"We're going to eat," he said plucking her off the floor. "As soon as your mum comes down."

"Mum!" She jumped in her seat while Harry buckled her in. "Mum Bifday!"

"That's right, munchkin. It's your mum's birthday."

"My pesants?" she asked pointing to the pile of presents.

"No, silly, you already had your birthday."

Nora sighed sadly. "Yeah."

Harry just smiled and leaned down to her. "How bout a kiss?"

Nora gave him a toothy smile before leaning over and smacking her lips against his.

"Hmm…I think Uncle Harry needs another one."

She giggled and leaned over to kiss him again, but then let out a squeal of laughter when Harry playfully attacked her neck, growling as if he was taking monstrous bites out of her. It had always made her laugh when he did it, no matter how many times he surprised her with it.

That was how Hermione found them and the sight simply melted her heart. She had walked in just as Harry had asked her for a kiss, but the scene was too sweet to ruin it, so she stood quiet and enjoyed. She always knew Harry adored Nora, but watching him now made her realize that he didn't just adore her, he loved her, and that made all the difference in the world.

"Mummy!" Nora shrieked when she finally spotted her. "Mummy! Bifday! Mummy Bifday!"

Harry looked over and smiled. "Hey birthday girl, I didn't see you standing…woah." Hermione was all of the sudden wrapped around him, clutching him tightly. "Hey…what's this? Man, I should make you breakfast more often if…are you crying?" Harry rubbed her back as he tilted back to look at her face, that was now streaming with tears. "Mione, what's wrong? Is something wrong? Are you hurt or…."

"No, no, no," she said shaking her head. "Silly really…these are happy tears."

Harry's shoulders slumped in relief. "Oh. You'd think I'd be able to tell the difference by now, but I never can."

"Promise me you'll stay a part of her life," Hermione said looking up at him while he wiped her tears away. "Nora. She's still so young and…without a father…she loves you so much."

"And I love her," he assured her framing her face with his hands. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know she's not your daughter but…"

"She's as good as," he said before she could finish. "And not just Nora…all of your kids…I've always felt that way about them."

"I always knew that, but…just seeing you with her just now made me realize how much my kids needs you…how much I need you."

"And I need you just as much," he said smoothing back her hair before bringing her into a hug. "My kids as well…especially Lily once she hits puberty." That got a soft chuckle out of her and he gave her a little squeeze. "We're stuck with each other, Hermione. My family and yours…we're one big family now." She nodded against his chest and he smiled before kissing her on top of the head. "Now…let's enjoy your breakfast…then…you've got presents to open."

"Sounds good," she said stepping away, smiling shakily as she wiped away the last of her tears.

"Now sit down and I'll get the coffee."

"Mummy sad?" Nora asked as Hermione sat down next to her.

"No, luv," Hermione assured her, kissing her on the cheek. "Mummy happy."

"So, how does it feel to turn forty?" Harry asked returning with the coffee.

Hermione sighed. "At the beginning of the year I was dreading this day," she said as Harry walked back to the kitchen counter. "But now…with everything that's happened…" She looked over at Nora who was playing with her eggs. "I feel blessed. Not everyone gets to make their fortieth birthday, so…there's no reason to be depressed about it, is there?"

Harry came up behind her placing a hand on her shoulder. "No…there isn't." He then placed a warm, just fresh out of the oven, coffee cake in front of her. Four lit candles were on it, each representing a decade. "Make a wish, Hermione."

Hermione closed her eyes and did just that, before blowing out the four candles. Nora clapped and cheered for her Mum while Harry sat across from Hermione. "Was it a good one?" Harry asked pulling out the candles before cutting the cake.

"A great one," she said giving him a smile, then sniffed the air. "Everything looks so yummy. I'm really going to need some of that bacon."

Harry watched her pluck two pieces from the plate, then grinned when she hesitated before picking up a third. It was good to see her with an appetite again, she had lost so much weight since they had lost Ron and Ginny. She was slowly eating more and more now and with his cooking, for he knew that Hermione was a fan of it, she should be healthier in no time.

Her hair was still as crazy as it was the day he met her. Wild and untamed. She wore it in a loose ponytail now, with strands of hair escaping here and there. Her eyes were still the same shade of chocolate brown, but had aged in the years that had passed. She had learned a lot since that little miss know it all he had been lucky enough to meet.

"Harry, you're staring," Hermione commented with a smirk before sipping her coffee. "What exactly are you thinking about over there?"

"Just about how much you've changed since that day you came into Ron and mine's compartment looking for a toad. Haven't changed a bit." Harry laughed when she gave her that famous look when she was always amused. The one little arch of her right eyebrow with a tiny bit of a smirk. "Okay, maybe you have changed a bit. You are taller…and have filled out in…certain places."

Hermione let out a laugh throwing her head back. "Gee, thanks, Harry."

"What I'm trying to say is," he said leaning over the table with a grin. "Yes, you've changed since the first day I met you…but nothing inside of you has changed. You're still the same old Hermione. Loving, caring and…"

"Mental, was one of Ron's favorite adjectives."

Harry chuckled. "Yes, but he sure did adore you. So did I…I still do." Harry reached across the table for her hand. "You may be turning forty today, but you still look as beautiful as you did on your wedding day."

"Oh, Harry," she said softly looking down embarrassed. "You're going to make me cry."

Harry lifted her hand to kiss her knuckles. "No, don't cry. It's not allowed today."

"I will try to contain myself. Well, let me say then, you look just as handsome on your wedding day, as well."

"Now you went and made me blush," he teased and gave her a wink. "Why don't I clear the table and you start tackling that big pile of presents."

"Pesants!" Nora exclaimed when she heard the word.

"Yep, she's going to open her presents now," Harry said standing up. "Then later we all are going over to look at the new house."

"Really?" Hermione asked with her eyes lit up. "We can go see it today?"

"Yep, but…don't get your hopes up, there's still a lot of work to do and it doesn't look its best, but…it has potential." Harry picked up a package and tossed it to her. "Start with this one…once the last package has been ripped open we can head out."

"What are we doing tonight?" Hermione asked as she started to undo the ribbon.

Harry was on his way to the kitchen but paused behind her. "It's your birthday," he said and leaned down to kiss the top of her head. "We'll do whatever you want to do."