Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Lost. Love Found. by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Lost. Love Found.

Harrys Mistress

Well…here it is. Another update! It's probably going to be the second to last post, but don't worry…I have a little surprise…or as my mom likes to call it…a sussie…for you all after you read the chapter. Hope you enjoy this one! Happy Holidays everyone!

~HM

Chapter 34

"So, do you have any idea what this is about?"

Albus winced at his little sister's question he had hoped no one would ask them as they waited their turn for the Floo. He did have an idea what this was all about, and since he didn't want to particularly lie to Lily, he decided to answer her with a shrug.

"Well, what do you think…"

"You're up, Lil," he said giving her a nudge towards the fireplace once Rose had disappeared into the green flames.

Once she was gone, he took a deep breath before taking a handful of Floo powder their Headmaster held out to him in a teapot. "Thanks," he said.

"You're welcome. See you tomorrow."

Albus nodded and stepped into the fireplace, shouted "Home!" as he threw down the powder. Green flames engulfed him, his whole body spun in a tunnel of light and sound and then tumbled into his father's arms.

"There he is!" Harry laughed as he gave him a jostle. "Last, but certainly not least."

Albus grinned as he stepped back. "Hey, Dad."

"Look at you….have you grown another few inches since I last saw you?"

He shrugged. "I dunno."

"Well…you're just as tall as me almost."

"And definitely taller than me," Hermione said as she squeezed by Harry and reached up on her toes to hug him.

"Hi Aunt Mione," he said hugging her back. "But I was already taller than you when I left."

"That may be," she said leaning back to smile up at him. "But I don't think I had to lean up on my toes to hug you last time…so you definitely have grown a few inches."

"Well…when you put it that way."

She laughed. "Come on…I've made some chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate. Pretty chilly out there."

"Sounds good."

Albus merged in with the commotion in the den, pouring himself a generous cup of hot chocolate, then snagged two cookies before sitting on the small sofa for two next to Rosie.

"What do you suppose this is about?" Rosie muttered to Albus.

Albus sighed, shrugged, then took a huge chunk of cookie so his mouth would be too full to talk.

Hermione and Harry sat in the two chairs they had moved from the kitchen table and set in front of the fire. "It's so great to see all of you," Hermione said. "Is school going all right for everyone?"

Everyone did a nod or murmured an, "Okay" or a "Yes."

"Where's Nora and James?" Hugo asked.

"Nora is spending the day with Ted and Victoire," Harry informed them. "And James…well…he already knows what this is all about."

Hermione cleared her throat. "So…tell me how things are at…"

"Hermione," Harry said as he put a hand over hers. "I know we discussed doing small talk at first…but I think they're all anxious to find out what's going on." When Hermione gave him a nervous smile and a nod of agreement, he turned look at the kids, who were all looking at him with curious eyes. Except Albus…who was looking right at his hand that was still covering Hermione's. His first reaction was to pull away, but since they were all going to have to get use to it, he turned his palm up to hers and laced their fingers. He didn't know exactly where to start and had rehearsed exactly what he was going to say, but that all seemed to go right out of his mind. So he took a deep breath, gave Hermione an assuring squeeze and started to talk.

"I know you all are very confused right now and very anxious to find out why we asked you to come here for the night. Last year…when we lost Ron and Ginny…it was hard for all of us. For Hermione and I…we lost a wife and husband. You kids lost a father or mother. None of it was easy, but we all came together as a family and healed as a family. Every single one of you had someone to help you through it. Not only did you have each other…not only did you have us…but you all had good friends that helped you through it."

"For Harry and I," Hermione continued. "We had friends of our own, and although they helped us as well, no one knew what we were going through except each other. Harry helped me more than anyone else could…and I helped him. We helped each other during that first year. There were times where I'd think of Ron and never thought I'd laugh again…then Harry would swoop in…he always knew when I was feeling sad…he'd say something clever, something funny…until we were both laughing."

"Same with Hermione," Harry pointed out. "We read each other well…knew what to say or how to act around each other depending our moods. After that first year…Hermione and I…we became very close…closer than I've ever been with her….and that's saying something considering she's been my best friend. And…well…we…er…"

"Dad?"

Harry looked at Lily who was now staring at their linked fingers. "Yes, Lily?"

"Are you trying to tell us…" She shifted her eyes back to his. "That you're with Aunt Mione…romantically?"

Harry felt Hermione's fingers clench in his grip and although he wanted to stroke and soothe her, he kept his eyes on Lily, who was still looking at him with her eyes that were identical to her mother's. "Yes," he finally said to her and then looked at everyone else. "Yes…that's what we are telling you." When no one said anything…when they only continued to stare in shock and disbelief, more words tumbled out of him. "I know this is a shock…and I'm sure you all have questions and we will answer every single one of them honestly…you all deserve to know how it happened.

"However…you need to know that…this isn't just some fling…or some flash in the pan. What's between Hermione and I is the real deal and nothing is going to change that. We love each other…whole heartedly…unconditionally…and neither of us have been this happy in a really long time. The only thing that would make us even happier…is that you have our approval."

"And if we don't?" Hugo asked.

Hermione looked at her son and knew he was challenging them. "Then there's nothing we can do…because Harry and I are going to be together no matter what any of you think. We do however, respect you all, and hope that you all can find it in your heart to support us…to be happy for us."

"You do look happy, Mum," Rosie said speaking for the first time. "I noticed it when I first got here…you're both right…this is a shock for me…and a little weird…and of course I'm sure we'll all have questions, but…" She looked over at Harry. "If you're the reason for the spark in her eyes, then…I'll support this….I'll be nothing but happy for you both."

Hermione's eyes filled. "Oh, Rosie."

Rosie smiled and got up from her seat and leaned down to give her mother a kiss and a hug, then did the same to her uncle before she stood behind them and waited for her cousins and siblings to make the next move.

"Well," Lily said as she stood up. "You know me…I'm all about romance and happily ever after." She walked over to her father and hugged him close as she sat in his lap. "Are you really happy, Daddy?" she whispered in his ear.

Harry closed his eyes and let out a shaky breath. "Incredibly happy, Lily-pad."

She smiled as she pulled back. "Then I'm happy for you." She looked over at Hermione and got up from her father's lap and hugged her Aunt. "For both of you."

"Thanks, sweetheart," she said as she wiped away a tear and gently cradled her face. "You're getting more beautiful everyday…you look so much like your mother."

Lily smiled brightly. "Thanks, Aunt Mione."

Hermione gave her a smile and kissed her forehead before releasing her and she stood behind her next to Rosie. Her hand found her way to Harry's again as they both looked over at Hugo and Albus…waiting for one of them to say something.

"Although it's a bit weird," Hugo finally said. "It's not very surprising considering how close you two have always been." He gave a little shrug as he stood up. "I guess I'm okay with it. You two seem all happy and stuff."

Hermione let out a laugh as she opened her arms for him. "Thanks Hugo."

He smiled and then turned to Harry who held out his hand. "Manly handshake?" Harry offered with a grin.

Hugo matched the grin as he slapped his hand into his. "Sure," he said giving it a good pump. "I guess I'd be okay with a manly hug, if you want."

Harry laughed and gave him a nuzzle, before tugging him into a hard manly hug. "You're a good boy, Hu…and well on your way to being a decent man."

"Thanks, Uncle Harry." He leaned back to look at him. "Are you going to take good care of her?"

Yes, Harry thought. A decent man he'll be. "The very best," he assured him as he gave him a quick pat on the arm, before he left and stood behind him.

"I need to say something first," Albus said once everyone looked over at him.

"Go ahead," Harry said as he tried to settle the nerves in his stomach. He had been nervous about his reaction since he caught him staring at their joint hands. "We're listening."

Albus took a deep breath and looked at both Hermione and Harry. "I already knew."

"What?" Harry and Hermione both said at the same time, while the kids behind them gasped and stared.

"What?" Harry asked again a little frantic. "Al…how? When?"

"The night before we left for Hogwarts," he confessed and then winced slightly. "I came downstairs to get water and…I sort of…saw you two…on the couch…kissing."

Hermione groaned as she covered her face with his hands while Harry let out a worrisome sigh. A collective "eww" came out of Hugo and Lily while Rosie only stared at Albus with her mouth hung open.

"I'm sorry…I didn't mean to eavesdrop or anything," Albus rushed on. "It was sort of an accident."

Harry shook his head. "No, son…you shouldn't be apologizing…we should. This is exactly why we wanted to tell you…to avoid…" He let out a shaky breath. "That's how James found out about us…I had just got in from work….had no idea he was there…I…well, greeted Hermione with a…romantic embrace before she could tell me….and he walked in on us. It wasn't pretty…not at first…and it all worked out, but we hoped to avoid another catastrophe like that…it wasn't fair to keep you all in the dark any longer because we knew what we had wasn't going away."

"I know," Albus said. "That's what you said that night…you said you didn't want to tell us until you were sure it would last between you…and I thought that made sense and stuff." He gave a little shrug. "I was a little weirded out at first…sure…but the more I thought about you two together…the more it made sense I guess. Like Hugo said…it's not really all that surprising once you think about it."

"Albus," Hermione said leaning forward in her chair. "Did you ever think about confronting us?"

"No…not really…the whole situation was way to awkward for me to admit what I saw."

"Why didn't you tell any of us?" Rosie asked.

Albus sighed as he looked at her, knowing she actually meant herself. Although he loved his siblings and Hugo…he was closer with Rosie…had a stronger connection with her. "Sorry Rosie…it just…wasn't my secret to tell. I did tell Mia…I hope that doesn't upset you…or anyone…I needed someone to talk about it with."

Lily and Hugo just shrugged it off and Rose gave him a small smile. "I guess I would have done the same if it were me…I understand."

"So…are you okay with this, Al?" Harry asked hesitantly.

Albus turned his attention back to his father and his lips curved into a bright smile. "I'm better than okay with this…I'm thrilled." He got up as did Harry and father and son embraced in a fierce hug. "You deserve to be happy, Dad…both of you."

Harry closed his eyes as he held on tight. "Al…you really are growing up on me." He pulled him back and gripped his arms. "I'm so proud of you."

Albus shifted uncomfortably when he saw tears shimmering in his eyes. "Aw, Dad…you're not gonna start crying, are you?"

Harry let out a watery laugh. "No," he said as he pulled the tears back in and then playfully shoved his son away. "But I can't say the same for, Mione."

"Oh hush," Hermione cried as she got on her feet and slapped Harry's arm. "I'm allowed to get emotional now and again."

"Aunt Mione," Albus laughed as he pulled her into a hug. "I really hope those are happy tears."

"Yes," she whispered as she gave him a squeeze. "Very happy tears."

"Well," Harry said as he pulled Hermione to his side. "Why don't we all sit back down and Hermione and I will answer any questions you'd like to ask."

"And after that," Hermione said as they all made their way back to their seats. "If the cookies haven't filled you up…I'll make you all dinner."

"Okay kids…fire a way."

"When did it happen?" Lily rushed out before anyone could even open their mouths. "How did it happen? Oh! Was it during the mistletoe incident? Or before?"

Harry blinked and then looked over at Hermione who looked just as floored. "Er…how bout we just tell you how it happened…then if we left anything out…just ask."

When everyone nodded in agreement, Harry shared a smile with Hermione before addressing their kids. "Well…it all began the day I interviewed James…"

No one spoke or interrupted him as he told the story of how he and Hermione turned their strong friendship into an even stronger love. He of course left out all the personal stuff…no point of talking about the intimacy between them unless they asked. "And that's pretty much how it happened," Harry said once he finished up telling them about how they confessed their love for each other just hours before. "Did I leave anything out, Mione?"

"No…I think you covered everything," she said as she squeezed his hand and then looked at the kids. "So…any question?"

No one was surprised when Lily raised her hand. "I have one."

"Just one?" Hugo muttered then grunted when he elbowed him in the ribs.

"What is it, Lil?" Harry asked.

"Are you two going to get married?"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And now for the sussie….are you ready?????

THIS WILL NOT BE MY LAST FIC! That's right, I've already started on another one. I really found myself missing writing about my other two pairings. G/D and R/L. So, there will be another H/Hr story for you guys! I'm not going to say this will be my last one…I think I've learned my lesson on that. I always say that, then I think of another story! So…I guess I'll just keep writing until I run out of ideas! I hope that makes you all happy! Especially after I left you hanging on this chapter. Oops;-) Anyway…I'm going to wrap this story up and continue to work on my new one so I can post it up ASAP! Please keep the reviews coming…I love to read them! Thanks again for everything!

~HM