Unofficial Portkey Archive

Confusion by RowlingIdol
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Confusion

RowlingIdol

Confusion

By Lauren G. (aka RowlingIdol)

Author's Note: Lets see if I can write another chapter. Hope everyone liked the last two. It would be nice for people to review more *hint hint* It encourages me to write more knowing that people like the story. :D This one's a doozy.

Chapter 6: Oops

What had she just said? She said that she was his wife!!! She was in for it now. She quickly hid her hands behind her back and reached for her wand that was in her back pocket. With a whispered spell, golden rings appeared on both her and Draco's left ring fingers.

"His wife?" Scrimgeour asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. I've been taking care of him."

"Well… That does change things."

"It would be so tragic to have my Drakey-Poo taken away from me." Ginny said. She faked a sniffle. "He was almost taken from me once before, I can't bear to have that happen!" She then began to fake sobs into her hands.

"There there, cupcake." Draco said, chiming in with the act and putting his arm around her.

"Oooh! Boo hoo!" Cried Ginny. Roberts and Ashford stared at each other.

"Well… We have changed the rules regarding married couples." Roberts said slowly.

"Shall we continue with a trial and request Ministry check-ups be held on Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy?"

"What's a Ministry check up?" Draco asked. Scrimgeour cleared his throat.

"It's a nicer term for a raid. We will check up on you and your family once a month to make sure no dark activity happens to be occurring."

"Is that okay jelly bean?" Draco asked Ginny. Ginny sniffled, trying not to laugh.

"Fine with me. As long as they don't dirty up my fine oriental rugs." Ginny said.

"I assure you, Miss Weasl… I mean Mrs. Malfoy, that we not track dirt and grime onto your oriental rugs." Ashford spoke up.

"Thank you." Whispered Ginny. Scrimgeour wrote up a slip for a trial and sent them on their way.

As they exited the office, several people stared after them. Voices whispered and fingers pointed. Draco and Ginny stayed quiet the entire time. As they exited to the fountain plaza, they were greeted unexpectedly by a group of photographers. Ginny stopped in her tracks. Draco just put his arm around her shoulders and rushed her to the phone booth. Ginny held her head down. They had reached the elevator and were on their way to the London streets. Once out, Ginny let out a big breath.

"Oh my gosh." Ginny said. Draco ran a hand through his hair.

"What time is it?" He asked. Ginny looked at her watch.

"Around ten." Ginny said. There was silence between them. Ginny looked down at her finger. The golden ring was still there. She grabbed it and tried to yank it off.

"Damn, it won't budge." Ginny grumbled.

"Just leave it." Draco said.

"Why?"

"Because we have one last stop." Draco looked at her.

"Where?" Draco said.

"Somewhere I've avoided." He reached for her hand and suddenly Apparated.

oooooo

They landed outside a large stone house on a hill. Ginny instantly knew where they were. The Malfoy Manor.

"Why are we here?" Ginny asked as Draco made his way to the house.

"The Ministry has probably informed my parents of my whereabouts."

"How do you know that?"

"Do you really think the Minister of Magic would go without informing people of important information regarding family members who are alive who were presumed dead?"

"No." Ginny said.

"Exactly." Draco said. He knocked on the big wooden door with a large steel doorknocker in the shape of a curled up snake. The door opened and a thin blonde woman basically fell out of the door.

"My baby! My baby! My son!" Narcissa bawled, gripping Draco tightly.

"Hi mum." Draco whispered softly. Narcissa stood back, still crying.

"Oh my son. I've missed you! Why did you run?" Narcissa sobbed.

"I ran because I wouldn't do what dad wanted. He'd have me killed."

"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore." Narcissa sniffed.

"Why? What happened?" Draco asked.

"I'll tell you inside. Come in." Narcissa ushered Draco in the house. Ginny stood in the doorway. Narcissa looked at her, wiping her eyes.

"Who are you? *gasp* Did you find my son?"

"Um.. Yes. I'm Gi-"

"Oh bless you!" Narcissa sobbed again, embracing Ginny. She ushered Ginny into the house. Ginny's mouth fell open at the extravagance of the Malfoy home. It resembled the Slytherin common room, but with a homier touch. It was also much warmer. Draco was sitting on a large couch. A house elf had bustled into the room bringing tea. Narcissa sat down in a puffy chair across from Draco. Ginny sat down on the couch with Draco. Narcissa took a cup a tea with shaking hands.

"Mum, where's dad?" Draco asked slowly. Narcissa took a sip of tea.

"Azkaban. Again." Narcissa said.

"I see."

"After the war your father ran as well. I knew perfectly well he was alive. But then he got himself captured by Ministry Wizards and he is in Azkaban for the murder of several people, most Muggles."

"At least he's alive." Draco said. Narcissa started to cry again.

"I'm so happy to see you Draco! You've worried me so! I guess I ought to go and have your tombstone taken down."

"You had a TOMBSTONE for me, mum?" Draco asked.

"We thought you were dead. I needed somewhere to go to pray for you." Narcissa blubbered. A house elf brought her a box of tissues.

"Now.. You… You helped my son."

"Yes…" Ginny said uncomfortably. Narcissa gave her a weak smile.

"You look familiar dear. What's your name?"

"Which one?" Ginny asked. Narcissa looked confused. Ginny blushed.

"Ginny Weasley." Narcissa dropped her tea.

"Young lady! I would never have expected you to be so kind to my son after all he's done to your family! I am shocked!"

"That's not all of it." Draco muttered.

"What was that Draco dear?" Narcissa asked, scooting her chair back so the house elf could clean up the spilt tea.

"We went to the Ministry today. Let them know I wasn't dead."

"Yes, yes. I know that."

"They almost sentenced me to a trial and death, mum." Draco said softly. Narcissa gasped.

"Oh my sweet dear son! They're not going to take you away from me again are you?"

"No mum. Thanks to Ginny." Draco said.

"What else did she do?" Narcissa said, looking curiously at Ginny.

"Lied." Ginny and Draco said at the same time.

"That isn't right children." Narcissa scolded. "What did you tell them?" Ginny looked at Draco and hesitated.

"I said that we were married." Ginny told Narcissa. Narcissa dropped her second cup of tea.

"MARRIED!?!?!?!" screeched Narcissa. "You're not REALLY married are you?"

"No, mum. But it did save my life." Draco said.

"Well, sounds like you've gotten yourself into a lot of trouble." Narcissa said. "What if people find out you're not really married?"

"It's not a problem mum. Don't worry about it. No one is going to know. Ginny is going to go back home to the… Bur…. Her house. And we both will pretend like nothing happened." Narcissa finished her tea and set it down on a saucer.

"Well, I'm glad that's settled. Ginny, dear… Ginny, is that your full name?"

"No, its Ginevra." Ginny replied, looking down at her hands.

"Well, Ginevra, I am very thankful that you returned my son to me. You are in the debt of the Malfoys."

Ginny wanted to snort. The Malfoys never new actual debt. She would have made a comment about what Narcissa had just said, but she couldn't help feeling sad about what Draco had just said. Ginny stood up.

"Thank you for the tea. I ought to get home." She said.

"Of course. Thank you again. Draco, walk Ginevra to the door." Draco stood up and walked next to Ginny to the large front doors.

"I know it's not in your vocabulary Malfoy, but you're welcome." Ginny said rudely to Draco.

"Malfoy? So now we're on last name terms again?" Draco crossed his arms.

"Sure. Why not? I didn't help you. I didn't feed you and provide you with shelter. I didn't save your damn life. I'll just go home and forget about it. Draco who? He's dead right?" Ginny mocked, tapping her finger against her chin, mimicking thinking. Draco eyebrows furrowed.

"I want a divorce." Draco said nastily. He then reached for his own left hand and tried to pull off the ring. Just like Ginny's, his wouldn't budge. He said a naughty word that rhymed with `duck'.

"Damn woman, what spell did you use?" He angrily asked.

"One that saved your life." Ginny snapped. Draco let out a grunt and gave up on the ring.

"Listen, Weasley. I know you saved my life, okay? But we have no use for each other. The Ministry knows I'm not dead and I am home. I can be fed and given shelter here."

"Don't understand why you didn't come here in the first place." Ginny said, crossing her arms.

"You don't know? You know my father Gin! You know what he did to you your first year. You know everything that happened my 6th year. If my Dad had been here, he would have killed me and then you, right there on the spot!" Ginny hung her head, a small smile playing at her lips.

"What. Does the thought of my estranged father killing you make you happy?" Draco sarcastically snapped.

"You said Gin. Only my friends call me that." Ginny whispered. Draco's shoulders slumped.

"I thought we were friends. After these past couple of days… I thought." Draco whispered.

"I thought we were too. That's why I got mad when you said you just wanted to forget about everything."

"I said that because I thought that's what you wanted."

"I don't want that." Ginny whispered, shaking her head. There was silence. Ginny shuffled her feet.

"Then what do you want." Draco asked. Ginny desperately wanted to say that she wanted him to come back to the Burrow, so that they could spend more time together. So that she could continue to get to know the real Draco, not the one she had known all throughout school. She wanted to touch him again, as weird as it sounded in her mind. Hug him when he smelled like pine, even dirt. Either one didn't bother her. She just didn't want to leave him. And she knew that if she left, she wouldn't.

"I don't know." Ginny lied.

"Well… Let me know when you know." Draco said. He opened the door. Ginny walked out.

"Ginny." Draco said. She stopped and turned to look at him. Draco wanted to say that he didn't want her to leave. That she should stay at the Manor, at least just until dinner. So he could get to know her a little bit better. He wanted to invite her over again and again, so they could always see each other. He wanted to touch her, feel her soft hair. Smell those flowers again. He didn't want to see her go. He had a strange feeling that he would never see her again after she left. He took a deep breath.

"Thank you." He said, before slowly closing the door. Ginny bit her lip, fighting back tears, before Apparating home.

oooooo

Ginny Apparated to Diagon Alley and quickly darted into the Leaky Cauldron. She took a handful of Floo from the tin bucket near the fireplace and flooed back to the Burrow. She stumbled out of the fireplace.

"Hello." She said to everyone. Ron and Harry were dirty and sweaty, brooms propped up against the kitchen table. Hermione had Crookshanks in her arms and was looking emotionless. Mr. Weasley was even downstairs, his crutches propped next to the brooms.

"What's everyone doing in the kitchen?" Ginny asked, brushing soot from her robes. Mrs. Weasley turned around from the kitchen sink.

"We just received a special edition of The Daily Prophet." Mrs. Weasley said, holding up the newspaper. There was a moving picture of Ginny and Draco leaving the Ministry. Draco had his arm around her, leading her away. And they both were holding their heads down. Big bold letter blared above the picture.

`Malfoy Alive! AND Married!" read the titled.

"What do you have to say for yourself?!?!?!" Mrs. Weasley practically screamed. Ginny looked around at everyone in the kitchen.

"Oops."

Author's Note- Ah… I love my endings. Sorry this took a while to get out. I had to re-do part of the chapter, plus I was busy with doing stuff for college. Hope everyone likes my story, and if you do, please review! Now, I am off to get ready to go shopping. Its back to school time and Hot Topic got in Goblet of Fire tee-shirts.


-->