Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Promises! Promises!

Draco felt quite proud of himself as he crawled back into bed with Ginny. He had dressed all three older boys, given them each a pain-au-chocolat and sent them to the stables with a couple of house elves to feed the horses. He had an hour with his wife now and he planned to make the best of it. They were moving from heavy petting into full action when there was a knock at the door.

"Daddy, Daddy, Grandmother and Aunt Bella are here!" Thuban yelled through the door.

"Bloody hell!" Draco groaned in pleasure before whispering into his wife neck. "I'm so sorry, Gin. I didn't mean to. I lost focus."

Ginny giggled into her husband's chest. In their almost seven years of marriage, she could count the number of times he left her behind on one hand. And his remorse for those events made for mind-blowing sex the next time. "It's all right, Honey. But you owe me one." She patted his shoulder. "Get going before your mother…"

"Daddy, Grandmother said if you're not out in ten minutes she's coming in. I'm sorry for bothering you but Grandmother told me to. Will you still take me flying?" Draco put on his robe and headed for his room.

Ginny bestowed an angry eye on her husband. "He was awake?"

Draco gave her a pouting look. "I needed you, Love."

"Daddy, we had to tell Grandmother you were awake. She was yelling at Tipsy for feeding us pain-au-chocolat for breakfast."

"You fed him a chocolate pastry for breakfast? Wait, he said us. Draco, are all the boys awake?" she hissed at her husband.

Draco raised his wand and removed the charm. He opened the door a crack and looked at Thuban. "I'm going to my chambers, mate. Tell your grandmother I'll be down in ten minutes." The little boy nodded and walked off. Draco turned to see his wife glaring at him. He was caught. He knew Ginny wouldn't be happy with his actions but she wouldn't have found out if his mother hadn't come over so early this morning. He gave his wife his most charming smile. "You're too alluring for me to pass up, Love. Last night was outstanding, I needed more."

"Draco, are all the boys awake?" Ginny asked firmly. It had taken all of her strength not to smile back at him.

He looked over at the cradle. "Not all the boys," he said with a smirk.

She put her robe on and started for the bathroom. She passed him on her way and kissed his cheek. "Next time, tell me they're awake and have the house elves feed them a full breakfast."

"I promise, Love," he said with a smirk.

-----*****-----

"Good morning, everyone," Draco said as he walked into the dining room. It didn't surprise him to find the boys sitting at the table eating a full breakfast. His mother was sitting in Ginny's normal spot between Serpens and Cam and Bellatrix was sitting on the other side of Cam. The witches were drinking tea and talking with the children.

"Daddy, Serpens and I didn't bother you, so we still get to go flying right?" Cam asked.

Draco started to sit but a noise at the door stopped him. "Daddy should have time to take you flying before we have to leave," Ginny said entering the room. Narcissa stood up and started to move. "Narcissa, it's fine, you can remain there."

"I want to speak with Thuban anyway, Ginevra."

Thuban stood and helped Narcissa into a chair next to him, while Draco did the same for Ginny. He walked back to his chair and sat down.

"Mother, do you mind if I have a cup of tea before we talk?" Draco asked.

"Eat breakfast, Draco dear. Bella and I would enjoy visiting with the children. How are you feeling, Ginevra?"

"I'm fine, thank you, Narcissa. But Draco seems to think differently." Ginny sneered at him.

"Your mother agreed with me last night," Draco added, "we'll discuss it later."

"I'm going to be three really soon!" Serpens said looking at Bellatrix. He wasn't sure if she remembered. "Grandmother and Mummy won't let Daddy or Grandfather buy me a dragon. Does Lestrange Mansion have room for a dragon?"

All eyes turned to Bellatrix, Narcissa gave her sister a meaningful look. Bella laughed before she answered. "We have room at the Mansion for a dragon, but there are a number of Potion Masters who visit us."

Serpens shook his head. "A dragon isn't safe around Potion Masters."

"We'll have to show your Aunt Bella the play equipment you picked out," Narcissa interjected.

"Play equipment, Mother?"

"Daddy, we all picked out something. There's this really great pirate ship. It even has cannons that work," Thuban excitedly informed his father.

"I want a castle. It has cannons too," Serpens almost yelled.

"I want a tree house," Cam stated looking at Bella. "It can fit in the big tree out back."

"And how much of our grounds will this play equipment take up?" Draco asked.

"They're charmed, Draco. You can reduce their size when the children aren't playing in them," Narcissa answered. Although her son was a very good father most of the time, he had a little too much Lucius in him when it came to his house and its grounds. He disliked toys on the lawn or in any room except the playroom or the boys' bedchambers.

"We looked at a toy catalog too," Serpens said. "I picked lots of things." He looked wide-eyed at Narcissa. "Grandmother, Mummy and Daddy got us neat trains. There's a book saying there're more."

"The train tracks are like building blocks you can made different layouts with them. We'll show you after breakfast," Thuban added.

"It's a Muggle toy. It would be a lot more fun if it was magic," Cam spouted.

-----*****-----

Draco took his mother and aunt to the library. He wanted to talk privately with them but not make it seem like a punishment for his aunt. The plan was to keep it very low key. Narcissa and Bella sat on the settee and Draco sat in an armchair across from them.

"First thing, mother, I hope you can help us. Molly agrees Ginevra needs more rest. Ginevra won't allow me to obtain a nanny and it would likely add stress if I did. But she has agreed to letting the family help. I was wondering if you could help with the children twice a week while I'm at the office?"

Narcissa couldn't contain her enthusiasm. She had always helped with her grandsons and missed having them around daily. "I can come over everyday if you need, son, around eight?"

"Thank you Mother, but we will only be needing you on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mrs. Weasley will be helping Ginevra the other days. We will need you to watch the boys this Monday and any other day that Ginny won't be at home."

"Draco, darling," Bella drew, "Do you really think it's safe or wise to have those people around the children?"

"It's very safe with all the wards on the house and when Ginny is here. As for wise, Molly wouldn't stop fussing over Gin at the banquet after hearing about her health and she loves the boys." He turned to Narcissa. "The boys are confused right now with all the changes, so we are setting up a new schedule for them. Mother, we would like to schedule a weekly dinner with you and Father every Friday evening. If you like we can have dinner at the Manor, and the boys can spend the night."

"That's a lovely idea, Draco." Narcissa smiled at her son. She wouldn't need to check with Lucius. He missed his grandsons deeply and would be delighted to spend Friday evenings and Saturday mornings with them.

"Aunt Bella, I think we should arrange your visits also. It would be best if you came when Mother was here." He smirked at his aunt. "I wouldn't want the boys to see wand play between you and Molly."

Narcissa smiled at her sister. "We will make Friday dinners a family affair. You and Rudolph will join us."

"I will visit the boys around ten each Tuesday and Thursday. But Draco, I still believe it is unwise to have those people around the boys so often. They are not of our class and…"

"Aunt Bella, those people are their family. And they are not that bad. Look at Ginny's brother Bill. He is a director at Gringotts now and attends many of the same society events we do," Draco answered.

"But he is still below us as is all of her family."

"Aunt Bella, please. I know your opinions and I tell you now to keep them to yourself. You will no longer speak ill of my wife to our children. You will treat Ginny and her family with respect or you will no longer be welcome in my home," Draco hissed at his aunt.

Bellatrix turned to her sister. "Cissy, are you going to sit there and let your son talk to me in that tone?"

"Bella, they are Draco's children, and it is his home."

"I never!" Bella exhaled.

"Please, Aunt Bella. Do as I ask. Cam… Cygnus loves you. I don't want to cause him pain by not allowing you to visit with him. But I promise I will if you do not stop bad mouthing Ginny in front of my sons."

"But she is…"

Draco stood. "My wife, the mother of my children and the witch who holds my heart. She is as good as anyone and better than most. You can leave…"

"Draco, sit down. It is not necessary. Bella will agree to your wishes." Narcissa looked at her sister.

"Ginevra is not the same person you married. She behaves as an aristocrat now," Bella started. "I didn't agree with her Muggle loving attitude but I will not discuss it with Cygnus or the other children."

"Thank you, Aunt Bella."

"Draco, I understand you are trying to keep your family together but you are letting her lead you around by your nose." She cackled, "Or is it your genitals she has you by?"

Draco growled at his aunt. "I'm not being lead by anything. I am the head of my house and I am making the rules."

Bella patted Draco on the cheek. "Keep saying that to yourself, Draco darling, and one day you may even believe it. I must be going. Have a good day, my boy. I'll see you here Tuesday at ten, Narcissa. I'll keep my opinions to myself around your sons."

Bellatrix left the room. She would bide her time for now. Cygnus was a Black after all. The Weasleys would not be able to turn him against her, not as long as he lived in Black Hall. The portraits would explain his place in the world to him. Yes, the portraits she thought. I will talk to my father's portrait when I get home. I will have him talk to both Cygnus and Draco.

-----*****-----

Draco flew around the grounds with his sons for an hour. Flying always tired them out and he really didn't need three hyperactive boys running around the Burrow. It was going to be a difficult day without that and he needed to have some daddy-son time with them. They were all a little upset that they hadn't done much with him since Thursday night.

He landed by the woods beyond the stables. He needed to talk to them about a couple of things that were going to change in their family life. He uncoupled Serpens' harness from his own and placed the boy on the ground. When Draco sat down by one of the tall black trees all three boys came over. Thuban and Cam leaned next too him and Serpens climbed onto his lap.

"Thanks for taking us flying, Daddy. I'm sorry I bothered you but Grandmother was going to anyway," Thuban informed his father.

"It's all right, mate. I'd rather you did it."

"Is Mummy mad at you?" Thuban asked

"Not really. Like Grandmother, she didn't think chocolate pastries were good breakfast food."

"Witches are funny. Aunt Lav was mad at Uncle Greg for feeding Gary a Muggle cereal called Coco Pop Straws," Cam informed his father.

"I like coco," Serpens added.

Draco hugged his little son. "I think we all do, but it's not good for breakfast. Listen up, mates, you remember on holiday I told you things were going to be changing?" The boys all nodded.

"You really love Mummy now, right?" Thuban asked with great worry.

Draco tapped the tip of his eldest son's nose. "Yes, I love your mummy." Thuban and Serpens smiled but Cam looked away trying to hide his anger.

"And she loves you so everything is going to be fine, if you keep your promise and be good to her," the boy stated.

"I hope so, Son. But it's hard work being a good husband."

"It's hard to be good," Serpens confirmed while nodding his head.

The Malfoy wizards chuckled at the innocent statement. "But we're all going to try and be good. Now, I want to let you know, starting Tuesday your grandmothers will be spending the day at our home helping Mummy watch you. Grandmother Malfoy will be here every Tuesday and Thursday. Aunt Bella will be visiting on those days at ten." Cam smiled brightly at his father, he missed Grandmother and Auntie Bella. "Every Friday night, we will have dinner at the Manor. Mummy and I will stay until your bedtime, but you will be spending the night at the Manor so you can have the morning with Grandfather. We will collect you at eleven."

"But, Daddy. Saturday is our day with you," Cam hissed while making an angry face and folding his arms.

"We'll have from eleven to five, mate. Plus, I think you and Thuban are old enough to come to my quidditch training and Mummy will be bringing you to my quidditch games."

"Wow!" the two older boys yelled.

"We'll have lots of time together, mates. Now, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays your grandmother Weasley will be coming over to help Mummy."

"Why can't Grandmother come everyday?" Cam huffed.

"You know Grandmother has a busy schedule plus Mummy wants to have her mother around too."

"I'd rather have Grandmother and not some Muggle loving fool," the little wizard hissed.

"Cam, talk like that will get you a very sore bottom," Draco advised him.

"But she is!" Cam stated.

"She's a Muggle lover and a Mudblood lover but she isn't a fool. She's really smart," Thuban argued. The two little boys squabbled back and forth for a few minutes before their father stopped them.

Draco looked at his sons sternly. "You will not be rude to your mother's family. You will show them respect or my belt will be gracing your bottom until you display good manners around them. Is that understood, Cygnus Abraxas Malfoy?"

Cam unfolded his arms and answered quickly. He knew he had pushed his daddy too far when he called him Cygnus and he couldn't remember when Draco had used his full name last. "Yes, Daddy. I'll be nice to Mummy's family. I don't need a sore bottom."

"Good, man."

Thuban whispered to Cam, "The Mudblood isn't part of her family."

Draco had an internal battle with himself over this. Telling his sons to show respect to Hermione Granger Potter was making his stomach turn. "She is a good friend of your mummy's. You need to be nice to her."

Both boys frowned. "All right, Daddy."

"Thank you. Now, we're going to go back to the house and go have Sunday Roast with your mummy's family. I expect you to be on your best behavior. I don't want to hear any rude comments. You will greet everyone politely. Their house is smaller than most that you have been in, but you are not to comment about what they have or don't have. There will be other children, be very nice to them. No hitting, no kicking, no pinching, no biting, no spitting, no name-calling or doing anything else mean. I don't want to hand out sore bottoms today, so no misbehavior. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Daddy," each boy said.

Ginny Apparated next to the group as they were getting to their feet. "We need to get going, Honey. I want to help Mum with the roast."

Draco put an arm around his wife and kissed her cheek. "We were on our way back, Love. We've already talked."

"That's good." She looked at her boys. "I don't want any teasing or bragging. No one goes near the pond unless an adult is with him. And if I hear the "M" word come out of anyone's mouth I'll take my wand to your bottom were you stand," Ginny stated and the boys nodded.

------******------

Arthur and Molly were still greeting Bill's family when the Malfoys arrived. Thuban was the first to approach the group with his waders in his hands.

"Thuban brought his waders, Mum. May I go in the pond too?" asked the redheaded blue eyed seven year old boy.

"Hello, Gabe. Are you going to Phillip's party next week?" Thuban asked.

"Yep." Gabe walked towards Thuban. "Let me show you around."

The two boys were almost out the front door when both Draco and Bill cleared their throats. They greeted their family members and went outside after Arthur had promised to take them in the pond to hunt for tadpoles when dinner was over. Serpens, Cam and Bill's little girl, Brittany. played a game of old-hag in the front room. Ginny, Molly and Fleur went into the kitchen to finish dinner. Draco was having a hard time deciding what he should do. Thuban was outside but Ginny and his other children were inside. He decided to call Thuban in but when he went to the door, Bill stopped him.

"They're fine, Malfoy. Let them be. Gabe knows where he can go and if we lose sight of them the women can see them from the kitchen." Draco looked at the two windows in the front room and sat in a chair that gave him a good view of both.

"They have a lot of grounds here," Thuban said.

Gabe picked up a stick and started poking the dirt with it. "They don't own it all." He pointed to a field. "There are lots of different plants that can be used in potions over there. I help Uncle Fred collect things all the time and help him with the potion making too."

"I didn't know you liked making potions."

"My dad lets me go to Uncle Fred and Uncle George's shop all the time," Gabe answered. "They brew lots of different things. You should come. Wednesday, we're making a daydreaming potion."

"I can't help with potion making until May." Thuban kicked the dirt.

"Oh, what'd you do wrong?"

"I tried to make Polyjuice by myself." Thuban looked around the yard. "Are there any wards or can we go anywhere?"

"There aren't any wards, but we have to stay within sight of the house. We can't get to close to the pond and we can't go into Grandpa's shed. If you do, Grandma will take her wand to your bottom. She's the one you have to look out for. Grandpa lets you get away with things, but she is really strict."

"I'll remember that." Thuban walked over by the pond. "How close can we get?"

"We have to stay two meters away." Gabe points at a tree. "Stay behind that tree."

The boys started throwing pebbles into the pond. Thuban looked back at the house. Molly was not looking out the window, so he stepped forward to collect a nice flat-sided pebble that was perfect for skipping.

"You're too close...," Gabe started to whisper.

Molly's loving but strict voice come from the kitchen, "Thuban, sweetheart. You're too close to the pond. Stay behind the tree."

He glanced back at the little shack and shook his head. "She's like Mummy, she sees everything."

------******------

Draco couldn't help but look around the small room once the older two boys walked out back. He had confirmed with Ginny that she could see their eldest son then walked back to the front room. A funny looking clock caught his attention. It had seventeen hands, one for each member of the family. It didn't surprise him that there wasn't a hand for him on it. But what did astonish him was the placement of Ginny's hand. It rested firmly on "mortal peril".

Damn his father was Draco's first thought. What the hell was he up too?

Bill noticed his brother-in-law. He always thought that Draco had feelings for Ginny, but he wasn't sure if it was love. The relationship between the two had been a hot topic in the Weasley family over the last three weeks. Most of the family believed Malfoy was just playing nice to Ginny, so he didn't lose his sons. But the look on the blond wizard's face now told Bill that the man loved his little sister. He walked over and patted his back. "We think it's broken. That hand has been there since the baby's birth."

Draco looked questioningly at Bill.

"Her hand and Fleur's always move to "mortal peril" when they go into labor. It usually returns to normal a couple hours after birth, but Ginny's didn't last time. That's likely why Ron went overboard. But it didn't move when she was with us either."

"I hope it's broken." Draco walked away from the clock.

"The clock is very pessimistic. All of our hands were on mortal peril during the war and it meant nothing. Come on, we should get the kids cleaned up for dinner."

Thuban and Gabe joined them in the small bath to wash up for dinner and by the time the five little sets of hands were washed, the kitchen was filled with the Weasley family. The room and table had been expanded to accommodate everyone. Hermione and her twins were hugging Molly and the rest of the Weasleys, sans Ron, were standing behind chairs.

Molly walked the Potter twins over to the other children. Gabe whispered to Thuban, "Those are Aunt Hermione's kids. We only met them a couple of days ago. Their daddy died."

Thuban smiled at the messy haired boy and his sister. He stepped forward and offered his hand to Sirius. "I'm Thuban Malfoy. I'll be six in June." He motioned to Cam. "This is my brother, Cygnus but we call him Cam. He'll be five in May." He motioned to Serpens. "This is my brother Serpens. He'll be three in a couple of weeks." Thuban looked at his extended hand. Sirius was making no attempt to shake it.

Sirius eyed Thuban. "Sirius Potter."

Harriet pushed pass her brother and shook Thuban's hand. "Harriet Potter." She looked at her brother. "You should have shaken his hand, Siri. That's what people with manners do."

Thuban slightly pulled on Harriet's hand and brought it to his lips, kissing the back of it, causing her to giggle. He bowed his head. "It's my pleasure to meet you, Miss Potter." He released her hand and she covered her mouth with it in an attempt to hide her giggles.

"Yucky, Thuban, you need to wash your lips now. You kissed a Mudb…Muggleborn," Cam stated causing a number of eyes to stare at him. Draco knelt down and whispered into the little boy's ear.

Serpens looked at the little girl and pointed at Hermione. "Is she your mummy?" Harriet nodded. He looked at the other children. "She is a Half-blood less she is a Squib." He turned to Harriet. "You do magic?"

Harriet and Sirius had puzzled expressions on their faces. Their mummy told them that she was a witch. Their daddy had been a wizard too. And they knew that everyone at the Burrow were magical. But they didn't know what the words Muggleborn, Half-blood, or Squib meant. Harriet knew by Cam's tone that he was being rude to her, so she glared at the boy.

Cam smiled at Harriet as Draco stood up. "I'm sorry for being rude. You didn't give Thuban any germs." Many of the wizards in the room had trouble containing their mirth.

"Well, let's all sit down for dinner," Molly stated. The adults moved quickly to the table, but the seven children moved slowly.

Brittany looked at Harriet. "Can you do magic?"

"Brit, it's time to eat," Bill addressed his daughter.

"Coming Daddy." Brittany sat across the table from Thuban.

He looked around the table and counted the wizards softly to himself. There were only seven, someone was missing, to himself he looked at the wizards and said their names. "Daddy, Uncle Bill, Uncle Charlie, Grandpa, Uncle Percy, Uncle Fred, and Uncle George." He addressed Arthur. "Where's Uncle Git?"

Ginny gasped, Draco had to cough into his napkin, Arthur stared at him, and Molly put her hands on her hips before addressing the eldest Malfoy child. "What did you say, young man?"

Thuban was puzzled by everyone's reaction to his simple question. "Where's Uncle Ron?"

The twins chuckled heartily when he answered the question so innocently.

"That is not what you said little boy!" Ginny interjected.

"Yes, it was Mummy," Thuban replied naively again.

"You called him Uncle Git the first time," Brittany informed him.

Thuban eyes grow the size of saucers. "It was an accident, Mummy. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say that." He turned to Molly. "I'm sorry, Grandma." The sincerity in the little wizard's voice convinced her it was a mistake.

"Any more accidents, Thuban and we'll be taking a trip to my study when we return home," Draco informed the boy.

"I promise, Daddy. I'll be good. Grandma, where is Uncle Ron?"

"Uncle Ron, doesn't always make it for dinner, mate," Bill answered.

Molly poured each child a glass of pumpkin juice. Serpens stared at his grandma and the food on the table for a couple of minutes.

"Grandma, where's your elf?" Serpens asked sweetly.

"I don't have one, darling."

"Oh!" he smiled at her, "I give you one of mine."

"You can't do that, Serpens. House elves go with a house," Cam informed his brother.

"Why'd Tipsy come to Black Hall, then?"

"Because Daddy still owns part of the Manor."

"Oh," the little boy turned to Draco. "Daddy, can we bring an elf to help Grandma next time?"

"If your grandma wants us to we can," Draco answered giving his wife a smile. Ginny was busy serving their children dinner. She placed roast beef, roast potatoes, carrots, green beans and Yorkshire pudding on her eldest son's plate.

Thuban looked down at his plate and then exhaled. "Thank, Merlin. No sprouts!"

Chuckles were suppressed around the table. Sirius put two of the four green beans from his plate into his mouth. He chewed quickly and took a big drink of pumpkin juice as if washing down a hideous taste. "I don't like any green vegetables. But I really really really hate brussels sprouts." The children all made faces stating their dislike for the vegetable as did a few of the adults.

"My grandmother has brussels sprouts every Sunday and I have to eat two or I don't get any dessert," Cam said.

Thuban started to giggle. "He tried to shallow one whole once. He turned blue."

"It wasn't funny, Thuban. Cam was choking. He could have…" Ginny started.

He turned to Gabe. "It wasn't funny while it was happening but it is now. Mummy and Daddy were at a business dinner. Grandmother panicked but Grandfather calmly raised his wand and the sprout shot out of Cam's throat and into the dust bin." Thuban laughed louder. "Grandfather put another sprout on Cam's plate and said," Thuban put on a stone face and made his voice deep. "Cygnus, I suggest you cut and chew your sprout this time."

"And we thought Mum was strict about finishing our greens," Fred chuckled.

"Apparently, even near death doesn't get you out of it at Malfoy Manor," George replied shaking his head.

The entire table erupted in laughter.

-----******------

Seamus walked out of the room into the St. Mungo's hallway. Ron and Jimmy stared at his hands, which were both in Muggle casts.

"What are those?" Jimmy asked.

"They can't repair my bones magically. They have to do it the Muggle way. I'll be in these for six weeks."

"Malfoy did this!" Ron yelled.

"Ron, calm down," Luna said placing her hand on his arm.

"Calm down, my arse. I know where the bastard is. He's going to pay for this." Ron pulled his arm away and Disapparated.

He appeared on the porch of the Burrow. Cam, Serpens, Brittany and Harriet were running through the yard. Sirius, Gabe and Thuban were wading in the pond with Arthur. He heard the voice of the wizard he was looking for coming for the kitchen. He walked for the door but he felt someone grab his arm.

"Ron, this isn't the time or place. Please. The children are here," Luna pleaded.

Ron snarled at her, "It's time for them to know what kind of a monster their father is."

He barreled into the kitchen with his wand drawn. Draco, Bill, Charlie and the twins were having a meade and talking at the table. The women's voices were coming from the front room. "You bloody bastard. What a coward you are? You hid behind your wife's wand at the café and now you hired hit-wizards! I should hex you into next week."

Draco turned to the red haired wizard. "What are you on about?"

"What happened to you?" Charlie asked taking in his youngest brother's bruised and swollen face.

"That fucking ferret happened to me!"

"Ronald!" Molly scolded coming into the room. "Oh, Ron!" she said again in shock after taking in his face. She started to go to him.

"Stay away, Mum. This is between me and the ferret."

"What's between you and me, Weasel?" Draco hissed lifting his wand.

"You gutless wonder. You buried yourself behind Snape on the tower and ran away from the war. You fucking Death Eater scum," Ron yelled.

"Ron, what happened?" Hermione asked.

"The ferret hired blokes to attack Seamus, Jimmy and myself. They used hexes that can't be magically removed. Seamus' wrists are broken."

"I did no such thing. If I would have wanted to cause you pain, I would have joined in at the café and not stopped Ginny," Draco said calmly.

"You didn't because you're a pillock and a coward. For years I wondered why we never came across you during the war. You and your father were hiding in the States, waiting for us to get the Dark Lord on the run. You returned only to change the outcome of the war to benefit yourself. You caused his death. He was there, Ginny. The night they both died. He watched the Dark Lord torture my best friend, the ferret was so frightened he could move."

"You git! You know nothing!" Draco raised his wand to hex Ron but before either wizard can finish their spells Thuban ran into Draco's legs knocking him off balance. The women gasped hoping both wizards could control their spells. The other wizards in the room drew their wands to minimize any damage.

"No, Daddy, you promised. You promised! You promised! You can't fight with Mummy's brothers. You promised!" Thuban cried into his father's leg. To everyone's amazement neither wizard's spell was cast.

Draco lowered his wand and knelt down to comfort his son.

"So, now you're going to hide behind your children," Ron spat.

"Shut it, Ron," Bill barked then collected his own frightened children. "Put down your wand, you git. This is not the time or place."

"Bill, that bastard paid blokes to do this!" he pointed to his face. "Seamus has two broken wrists that won't heal for six week."

"Is he the Irishman, Mummy?" Cam questioned.

"Yes, he was, baby, but he didn't…." Ginny started.

"It wasn't Daddy. Auntie Bella told me she'd made sure the Irishman got two fold what he did to me," Cam finished.

Arthur walked up to his youngest son. "Put your wand away, Ron. We've had enough drama for the day. You, Draco and I will talk about this outside."

Draco quickly collected Serpens, Cam and Thuban and turned to Arthur. "With all due respect, Mr. Weasley, I'm been insulted enough today. I had nothing to do with your son's or his friends' injuries." Draco started for the front room with the three boys. "Gin, Love, I need to go home now before I explode. You and Leo stay as long as you wish." He threw powder in the floo and they were gone.

"I'm glad he left but why did he have to take the boys?" Ron smirked.

Ginny walked over and slapped Ron. "And to think, I was going to punish Thuban for calling you a git. Consider yourself un-invited to Serpens' birthday party unless you grow up." She said her good-byes to the rest of her family, collected Leo and Apparated away.

Arthur hissed at Ron, "You have brought a horrible end to what had been an enjoyable day with four of my grandsons. You will learn to control yourself in front of the children or you will no longer be welcome in my home." He walked his youngest son to the table. "Now, tell me what happened to you and Seamus. And where did you hear about Draco being at the finial battle?"

------******------

Thuban's and Serpens' weeping got Ginny's attention when she Apparated into the foyer of Black Hall. She made her way quickly to the family parlor.

"Please, Daddy, please. You have to go back and tell Mummy you're sorry," Thuban pleaded.

"He pulled his wand on me first, Thuban. I had to do something."

"I don't care," the boy pleaded, "Go back. I don't want to lose you or Mummy."

Draco exhaled and paced the floor. He didn't know what to do. He loved Ginny but he couldn't let Ron get away with what he was saying. Two of his sons were howling and the other was moping. He sighed, what good was pride anyway? "All right, Thuban. We'll go back. But, first, I need to cool down. I'm still very upset with your Uncle Ron."

"Uncle Git!" Cam said.

"Uncle Git, is right," Ginny said as she came walking into the room. Thuban and Serpens wiped away their tears and ran to hug Ginny. "We're not going back tonight. Mum and Dad need to talk to Ron. I don't agree with your trying to hex him. But I can't expect you to just take whatever he decides to hand out." After hugging her boys she put Leo in the cradle and walked over to Draco kissing him on the cheek. "I love you. Why didn't you go for a walk or a broom ride to calm down?"

"I love you too, Ginny. I'm sorry I left, but I could only take so much."

"You didn't have anything to do with the attack on Ron, Seamus and Jimmy did you?" Ginny gazed into his eyes.

"I promise I didn't, love. I'll be back in about twenty minutes." He walked out the door wall. He was relieved that Ginny didn't ask about the night the Dark Lord and Harry had died. Ron was right, he had been there.

------April 1999------

"Little Harry Potter," cackled Voldemort. "Once again you are at the mercy of Lord Voldemort. Crucio" Harry, wandless, fell to the ground and the four Death Eaters with Voldemort laughed loudly.

Hidden behind a tree, Draco whispered to Rastaban Lestrange, "How did this get screwed up? He shouldn't be here. We have to do something."

"No, Draco, we have to wait for the sign. We can't take them ourselves. Tonight is our best chance to end the war. We must wait."

Nagini circled Harry, while Voldemort continued to curse and mock the young wizard. "You are a fool, Potter. It was my mistake that gave you your power. But your idiocy made it easy to overcome. You see, Potter. You should have let the Wealsey girl carry your children. Your Mudblood wife will give them no protection from me. But the Weasley girl's sons will be the leaders of the wizarding world. Only a very powerful witch could bring me to life through my diary. Crucio," Voldemort said again. But Harry's body no longer moved. The Dark Lord cackled, "Enjoy your dinner, Nagini."

As the snake approached Harry, Draco pointed his wand at it, "Avada Kedavra!"

-----******------

"Draco!" Ginny called to him. He had walked out the door wall twenty minutes ago and stopped. She didn't want to bother him but something was wrong. When he didn't turn to answer her she walked out and touched his shoulder. "Draco, Honey."

He turned around a little startled. "I'm sorry, Love. I just can't seem to get my mind straight." His sons were watching them worriedly through the window. He took his wife into his arms. "We're still all right, aren't we, Ginny?"

"I'm not mad at you, if that's what you're asking?"

He kissed her and then whispered into her ear. "I love you. Always remember that." They went back into the house where Draco eyed his sons closely for the first time. "Well, if the amount of dirt on you three is an indication, it appears you had a lot of fun at the Burrow."

"It was fun until Uncle Ron showed up," Thuban answered.

"Uncle Charlie works with dragons. He's going to get me one," Serpens informed his parents.

Ginny rolled her eyes and looked at her husband. "Don't look at me, Ginny. This is the first I heard of it." He summoned the house elves, Tipsy and Nan. They took the boys upstairs to be bathed. Draco led his wife to the settee and cuddled her into his chest.

"I'm sure it was my father that ordered the attack. I'm doing my best to control him, Ginny. Last night you asked about the scroll my mother gave me. Well, love, Saturday afternoon I noticed someone following us. My father was having you watched. I told him to stop or he wouldn't be allowed to see the boys again. That scroll proved he had stopped. I truly don't think he's trying to hurt you, but just in case, I have a man guarding you."

Ginny pulled away and looked at him. "Guarding me?"

"Yes, Love. He is watching over you from a distance."

"I can take care of myself, Draco," she said determinedly. "I don't need a bodyguard."

"You have no choice in the matter. He stays," Draco answered firmly.

"We've talked about this, Draco. We should decide these issues together. My wand is working and I can take care of myself. There is no reason for a bodyguard."

"Ginevra, your magic is not back to a hundred percent. And it is my job to make sure my family is safe. He stays!" he growled at his wife.

She stood up and put her hands on her hips. "This is what I'm sick of, you making all the decisions. I don't need to be watched. I don't want to be watched. I won't be watched. You can sleep in your own bedchambers until you call him off." She folded her arms and huffed at him.

"Fine. Should we place Leo in the nursery? Or do you want to deal with him by yourself at night?" he stated as if being kicked out of her bed did not bother him one bit.

"We won't be shagging either you understand?" she huffed.

He nodded at her, "I understand."

Her anger grew, how could he not care. "Do I have to send you back to the Manor until you call the bodyguard off?"

"The bodyguard stays, Ginevra. Nothing you do or say will change that."

"You'd give up seeing your sons everyday just to have your way?" she snapped.

"Yes, I would give up seeing my sons to keep their mother and the love of my life safe from harm. The guard stays and if I feel the need, I will add more guards. Right now, I believe it is safe for him to watch you from a distance and no one will know that he is there."

She sat down in the chair across from him.

"So, Ginny. Should I pack for the Manor?"

"No."

"Should I place Leo in the nursery?"

"No."

"You're going to take care of Leo yourself?"

"No. You may sleep in my chambers to help with the baby." She crossed her legs. "But stay on your own side of the bed."

"I'll be a gentleman, my love. I'll just have to repay my debt to you at a later date." He smirked.

"What debt?"

"We were interrupted this morning and I owe you a very good one." He raised his eyebrow and winked at her.

"Master - Misses, misses' father is here," said the house elf.

------******------

Ginny lay in her bed reading a book when Draco came into the room.

"They're all asleep. It was nice of your father to bring Thuban his tadpoles and potion plants. He had a great time with your father. He seemed to get along with all of your family."

"He wants to go to Fred and George's shop to make potions after his punishment is over," she informed Draco.

"Well, I'm sure we'll know if that's safe to do in the next month." Draco removed his shirt and undershirt. He sat down in the chair next to the bed and transfigured his shoes into hand weights. He started to lift the weights as he talked to Ginny.

"So, you think in a month, you'll feel fine with me taking the children to my parents by myself?"

"I think so." The muscles in his chest were starting to bulge from his minor workout. As a bead of sweat ran down a line that defined his pectorals, Ginny rubbed her legs together. She could feel her desire growing.

"It would be nice to have my parents stay here with the boys when we're out Saturday nights." She looked away from her husband. Damn prat. He knew that she couldn't help but want him after seeing him workout his chest. "Could you stop that?"

"Is it bothering you, Love?" he asked with a devilish grin.

"You know it is and I'm trying to be mad at you." Just hearing him breath and the clanks of the weights had caused her to soak her knickers.

He touched her shoulder rolling her over and looking into her eyes. "There's no reason to be angry with me, Love. I'm merely making sure that you are safe." He kissed her and she pulled him onto their bed.