Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

A Storm on The Horizon Part 1

Draco Apparated into the foyer of Black Hall at four o'clock on Tuesday. Over the last couple of days Ginny had taken to greeting him here after work and giving him a very nice welcome home kiss. He was disappointed when she didn't appear. Maybe she was busy with the children. He made his way to the family parlor and saw the boys playing outside.

"Hello, Mother," he said kissing her cheek and removing Leo from her arms.

"Good afternoon, Draco dear. Ginevra thought you would be home around four."

"Where is Ginny, Mother?"

Narcissa gave her son a perplexed gaze. "I assumed you knew, Draco. She merely informed me she had an appointment."

The boys ran over and welcomed their father home having noticed his presence. He greeted each child with a hug before questioning his eldest. "Thuban, do you know where your mother went?"

"No I don't, Daddy. She said that Aunt Pansy would be coming over to watch us but I want to go to the Quidditch trials with you please!"

"Uncle Blaise!" Serpens screamed as he ran into the family parlor.

Simon appeared on the patio. "Master, Mr. Zabini and Ms. Parkinson are here."

"Thank you, Simon," Draco said and then greeted Blaise and Pansy. "Do either of you know where my wife is?"

"I have no idea, mate. But she invited the team back here for an informal dinner after the trials."

"I think she's doing something with or for her brothers," Pansy added.

Draco smiled. "Ah, she's likely shopping for a gift. The twins' birthday is Saturday." He kissed his mother. "Thank you for watching the boys, Mother. I'll see you, Thursday."

Narcissa bid farewell to the group and Disapparated. Pansy peered into Draco's arms and noticed that Leo was awake. "Oh, Blaise," she cooed, "Look at Leo." She removed the babe from his father's arms and walked over to her boyfriend.

Blaise was holding Serpens on his hip, so he learned into Pansy to peer at the baby, "Well, the loin cub is awake."

Thuban walked over to the bassinet, removed the green stuffed train and went over to his godfather. "Uncle Blaise, he really likes this train." Blaise took the train and showed it to the baby who followed the object intently with his eyes.

"Uncle Blaise," Cam said pulling on his trouser leg. "Did you hear that I can transfigure?"

Draco looked on in disbelief as his children doted over Blaise and Pansy. He moved quickly over to the group. "Parkinson, I'd like my son back."

She reluctantly handed the baby back to his father. "You really need to learn to share, Draco."

"Me?" He pointed to the boys grouped around her and Blaise. "You have them all. I came home early to play with this one while he was awake. Besides, Parkinson, don't you think it's time you started having your own?"

Blaise glared at his friend, "Shut it, Malfoy. I'm still into borrowing them and she can't have them without me."

Pansy sneered at her boyfriend. "I won't be waiting much longer for you, Zabini. I want my first children before I'm twenty-eight."

Draco snickered then whispered to his friend, "Sorry, mate. I didn't know you were the hold out. But it appears you're time limited now."

"Millicent and Daphne have Miles and Richard on one too. Miles is folding this weekend," Blaise whispered back.

Draco really didn't understand his mates. Blaise had been living with Pansy for three years, Miles had lived with Daphne for two years, and Richard and Millicent had been living together for six years. They were as good as married.

"Daddy, may Cam and I go to your trials? You said we could go to your practices," Thuban asked.

"Draco, Daphne and Millicent are watching Vinnie's and Greg's boys there. I'm willing to watch yours too."

"That's fine with me, Pansy. Thanks," Draco said. Thuban called Simon to bring his and Cam's brooms. "You won't be needing them," Draco informed the little wizard.

"But Daddy, Greggy and Gary are bringing their brooms," Thuban pouted.

"I won't have time to fly with you. They stay at home. And if you don't stop your pouting, you will be remaining here also," Draco ordered.

------*******-------

Millicent, Daphne, and Pansy sat in the stands with Leo sleeping in his pram next to them. The seven older boys played with a group of other children in the field next to the pitch. The witches were watching another team's trials. Ron Weasley was the Keeper, Fred and George were the Beaters, Charlie was the Seeker and Bill was a chaser along with Michael Corner. The third chaser no one seemed to know. The small build made everyone believe it was a witch. But she wore a bandanna covering her hair, an old baggy jumper and baggy Muggle sweatpants. She flew on a Cleansweep 11 which was years old, but that didn't seem to be a problem. In the short time they were watching, she had scored five goals. The Slytherin witches paid her little attention. But a number of other Quidditch team captains in the stands discussed the witch's abilities.

"Merlin, Charlie Weasley has a nice behind," Daphne sighed.

"Bill's is much nicer," Millicent commented.

"He's married to the Delacour witch from France. They have a couple of kids," Daphne spat.

"I know that. But he can still have a nice bum," Millicent replied.

"I can't believe that Ron is still a skinny little git," Pansy added. "He looks like a seventh-year. But the twins! Merlin, look at those arms!"

Millicent pointed to the female Chaser. "She's outstanding. Is that Katie?"

"No Katie's pregnant and Roger wouldn't trust her around Fred or George," Daphne said.

"Bloody hell, is that a team of Weasleys?" Miles hissed.

"Corner, that arse. How did he talk them all into playing? And who in the hell is that Chaser? She's marvelous," Greg said as she scored her seventh goal.

"She must be new to the area. Damn, they're going to be hard to beat," Crabbe added.

Blaise shook his head. "What the hell is Charlie Weasley doing in London? Thuban, Thuban! Come here, please."

Thuban ran over to Blaise followed by the other boys. "You wanted me, Uncle Blaise?"

Blaise pointed to the team on the pitch. "How long is your Uncle Charlie going to be in England?"

"Grandpa said for seven or eight months." Thuban looked up into the sky and pointed at the Chaser making her way to the goals once again. "What's Mummy doing out there?"

Blaise looked at the Chaser. "That's not your mummy, mate."

"She flies like Mummy," Cam confirmed.

"Thanks for the information, Thuban. You may go back and play." Blaise shoed the boys away quickly before turning to Greg, "Go delay Malfoy. He'll go nutters if he sees…"

"Damn, stubborn witch!" Draco hissed from behind his friends as he watched Ginny fly. "Not even a month postpartum and she's flying like a mad woman."

"Blimey, Malfoy, she looks better than ever. The championship's in the bag for us with her," Richard committed.

Draco sneered at his friend. "She shouldn't be flying! Her health is more important then a damned cup."

"She looks healthy to me," Miles interjected.

Blaise walked over to his mates. It was clear that Miles and Richard were increasing Draco's anger. There would be wand play soon if someone didn't calm down the irritated blond wizard soon. He tried to distract his friend, placing his hand on Draco's shoulder and turning him around and back to the changing room. "We've got eight Chasers trying out of our one open spot; that's excellent, mate. Let's take another look at the list."

"I don't need to look at the list again. I need to talk to my wife," he growled through gritted teeth. Draco walked to the side of the pitch where the Chasers trying out for Corners' team had just landed. He put his arm along Ginny's waist. She jumped in shock and he pulled her close. When she looked at him, he leaned in and kissed her cheek. "Hello, Love. I'm surprised to see you here. I believe we need to talk, Ginevra," he said in a very calm tone.

Ron leaped over to his sister's side to get in-between the couple, but Draco would not let go of his witch. "Get your hands off my sister, Malfoy. You don't own her. She's decided to fly with us," Ron yelled.

Ginny moved uncomfortably in his arm. "Loosen up, Draco. It hurts."

He released his hold on her hip, took her hand and kissed her cheek. "I'm sorry, love," he whispered to her before turning to face Ron. "Calm down, Weasley. I merely wish to have a discussion with my wife. Your trial is over is it not, Corner?"

Michael glared at him. "The pitch is yours. Do I bother flooing Ginny or will you not allow her to play?"

"I'll play if I want. He has no say," Ginny stated firmly.

Draco smiled at his wife and whispered in her ear, "We need to talk in private, now."

"I'll see you later, guys," Ginny said to her brothers. "Let's go talk, Draco."

They walked to a wooded area close to the pitch. Her brothers watched them.

"Do any of you know how her Healer's appointment went Monday?" Bill asked. His brothers all shook their heads. "I don't think she should fly if she's not healthy."

"I agree with that and I don't want her to play with anyone but us or Draco," Charlie added.

"I want her to fly with us. She's the best Chaser around," Ron said.

"That's why she needs to fly with us or Malfoy. She's going to be a target of every Beater in the league. She needs great protection," Bill stated.

"Then she needs to fly with us. We can't trust Malfoy," Ron hissed.

"Ron, she trusts Malfoy. Besides if he wanted to hurt her, he'd let her play with us and arrange an accident." Bill patted his little brother's back. "I hate to say it, but Malfoy loves her. We're gonna have to get used to having him around."

Fred shook. "That will take some getting used to."

"But it's nice to have Ginny back," George added.

"Well blokes, love to stay and chat," Fred started.

"But we have to get back to the shop," George finished.

"You can't go. What if Malfoy starts something with Ginny?" Ron argued.

"Little brother, she's safe. If he didn't yell at her by now, he's not going to. Besides, the boys are here." Bill pointed to Ginny's children.

Charlie walked away from his brothers and over to the boys, when he was only meters from them, Serpens saw him. "Uncle Charlie, Uncle Charlie," the little wizard screamed and jumped into his uncle's arms. "What dragons did you track down today?"

"I found a hatchery today, mate. There were four baby horntails and a dozen eggs," Charlie answered tapping the little wizard's nose lovingly.

"Are you going to give me one of the horntails for my birthday?" Serpens inquired.

Charlie chuckled, "Sorry, mate. I can't do that. But I can get you photos of them."

"Okay," he answered with great disappointment. "Tell me all about the dragons, Uncle Charlie."

-----*****-----

Once Draco had gotten Ginny far enough away so their children couldn't hear them, he turned her to face him. "What the hell do you think you're doing? We agreed that you weren't fit to play Quidditch for a couple of months and your Healer's appointment yesterday confirmed that," he barked.

"We didn't agree to anything, Draco. You decided I shouldn't play. Besides, I asked my Healer and she gave me the go ahead for trials," Ginny argued back.

"If you didn't agree with me, we should have discussed it. You didn't need to sneak around and do this behind my back."

"Yes, I did, Draco. You would have told me not to. You would have stopped me. But now that I have a spot on Corner's team, there's nothing you can do."

Draco face grew red with anger and he clinched his fist. "Damn it, witch! You need to start trusting me. You're the best blasted Chaser in the league. It kills me when you're unable to play. You make our team unbeatable. But fuck it all, you can't take a chance with your health."

"I told you my Healer said I was fit for the trials."

Draco summoned a house elf. "Simon, go get Mrs. Malfoy's broom." The couple remained quiet while the elf disappeared and moments later handed Draco the newest Firebolt model and disappeared again. "If your Healer agreed to the trials, I think you should tryout for our team with a broom appropriate to your skill."

"I won't fall for it, Draco. You'll put me on the team then you won't play me," Ginny said.

"Just fly the bloody trial, Ginevra. I don't wish to argue with you here."

She looked at him bewildered. "It can't be this easy."

He sneered at her. "You're right, my Love. This topic is far from over. Once our guests have left after dinner we will have a long discussion."

"I'm going to play Quidditch this season, Draco."

He hissed at his wife, "Ginevra, we will discuss this at home. I will remind you, I asked you about my playing Quidditch, I didn't inform you of my decision."

Ginny responded very skeptically, "You would stop playing Quidditch if I told you too."

"Yes, Ginny, if my playing caused our family hardship. Now, let's try to enjoy our trial. It's going to be a long night."

The couple walked back to the pitch where Blaise had the team practicing. Draco looked at Charlie who was having an animated conversation with Serpens. When the little boy saw his father he spoke, "Daddy, Uncle Charlie is telling me all about the dragons he found today. May he come over? I want to show him all my dragons."

Draco smiled at his young son, "If you're not busy, Charlie, you're welcome to join us for dinner. I only think it's proper to warn you, your sister has invited my team and their families to dinner, also."

Charlie smirked, "So, how many Slytherins will I be dinning with?"

"Only nine. Where's your Gryffindor courage?" he joked.

"Nine Slytherins is nothing but how many little tikes?"

"Our four, Crabbe's two, Goyle's two."

Ginny smiled, "Padma's bringing Patty by also."

Charlie bounced Serpens on his knee. "What do you think I should do, little mate?"

"I want you to come to my home so I have someone to play with. They," he pointed to the other boys. "think playing dragons is for babies."

"Thanks for the invitation, Draco. I will join you." Charlie removed Serpens from his knee. "I need to go home and clean up, mate."

"It's an informal dinner, Charlie. What you were wearing before your trial will be fine," Ginny stated.

"I don't think so, Ginny. I needed a shower before I got here. I'll be back before your parents' trial is done, little mate."

"I want to go with you. Mummy, I want to go with Uncle Charlie." He turned and smiled brightly and lovingly at his uncle. "Please, Uncle Charlie. I'm a really good boy."

Charlie looked at Ginny, who shook her head. "Not this time, little man. I can't watch you while I'm cleaning up. I'll be back soon."

Serpens looked at his uncle then his parents with tear filled eyes. He sniffled and wiped a tear from his eye. "But the other boys are being mean to me. They keep playing games I can't win."

Pansy pulled the little boy into her lap and removed a book about dragons from the nappy bag. "Come here, sweetie. I'll read to you until your uncle gets back."

------******------

Draco, Blaise, Greg, Vincent, Miles, Richard and Charlie sat on the patio of Black Hall enjoying a meade while watching the boys play in the yard.

"So Malfoy, is Ginny flying with us?" Miles asked.

"I don't want to talk about it right, now," Draco growled.

Greg chuckled, "Ginny should have been a Slytherin. Great plan she had, going to the trials without telling you and then making sure we were all here for dinner so you couldn't row with her about it."

Charlie looked at Draco with surprise. "You didn't know Ginny was there?"

"No, I didn't. Personally, I think she needs more time to recover from Leo's birth. But I can't believe she did this without discussing it with me, first. Damn it, the witch has been on my arse about not doing things without informing her first and then she goes and does this." Draco looked at Charlie. "I love your sister. But I won't be anyone's wiping boy again." He had a death grip on his mug of meade.

"Calm down, Draco," Blaise said patting him on the shoulder. "This is all new for both of you. Ginny's not used to having any say in your marriage. She's had to go along with what you wanted all the time."

"She always had her say," he growled.

"And you ignored her most of the time, mate. You need to be honest if you want your marriage to last. I'm not saying what she did was right and if Pansy did the same to me I'd be pissed. But Ginny had good reason for her actions," Blaise said.

"Shite, this isn't easy." Draco said before looking at the swing set where the boys were playing. Thuban was climbing on the side of it and was about eight feet up. "Bloody hell," he hissed, drew his wand and made his way to his son.

The witches came out onto the patio and saw Thuban. Ginny was about to yell when Charlie stopped her. "Don't say anything, Ginny. You may scare him and he'll fall. Draco has his wand at the ready."

Draco quickly had the little wizard on the ground and was leading him back to the patio table.

"Thuban Charles Malfoy, what have I told you about climbing on the play set?" Ginny bellowed at the boy.

"Not to do it," he replied.

Ginny took a chair, placed it by the wall and put the little wizard in it. "You can sit here until dinner is ready. You're lucky I didn't take my wand to your bottom."

The witches joined the men at the table and watched the other children play. Greggy and Victor, Vincent Crabbe's six-year-old son, were playing on the slide. Serpens, Gary and Kenny, Vincent's four-year-old, were playing tag. Cam was pushing Vincent's five-year-old daughter, Patty, on the swing.

"Cam and Patty are so cute," Millicent said. "He is always so nice to her."

"He has to be, they're betrothed!" Thuban stated a little annoyed that she didn't know why Cam was being good.

"They're what?" Ginny screeched.

"Betrothed, Mummy. They're to be married when they grow up," Thuban answered in a matter of fact tone.

Ginny glared at Draco, who chuckled in his meade. "Don't look at me, love. It's the first I've heard of it."

She turned to Vincent. "Wasn't me either, Ginny. I would have negotiated for Thuban," Crabbe laughed.

"Yucky! I'm not getting betrothed!" Thuban stated loudly. "Aunt Bella and both Patty's grandmothers agreed Patty and Cam were betrothed. 'Cause lots of Blacks and Crabbes get married."

"Well, if they think…" Ginny started infuriated.

Draco put his arm around her and kissed her cheek. "Love, they have no say, but it appears to be doing some good." Draco laughed. "They play together nicely now." Laughter rang around the table.

"Speaking of engagements," Daphne started. "I heard that Ron and Luna are getting married. Is that true, Ginny?"

"Yes, my mum is so excited. Luna's mother passed years ago, so Mum's helping her plan everything."

"Ron's going nuts," Charlie added with mirth. "She's already decided on nine bridesmaids." He took a drink of his meade. "You do know, ladies, it's not marriage that scares us wizards to death. It's the wedding."

"Here, here!" said Greg. "Some witches are monsters when they become brides. There's no one more self-centered than a bride!"

"I would have been happy getting married at the Ministry, then having a party at the house," Crabbe stated.

"Spoken like divorced wizards. What do you think, Draco?" Pansy asked.

"I think I wanted to stay married," Draco spouted and the wizards laughed. While the adults had a heated discussion about weddings, Cam had snuck over to the table and had relieved Pansy of her wand without any of the adults' knowledge.

Once back by the other children, he placed his shoes in front of him. He showed the others that he could perform a number of very simple spells, like tying and untying the shoes, making the shoes take a couple of steps, having the shoes kick Serpens, enlarging the shoes, shrinking the shoes and having the shoes come to him.

"Wow, that's wonderful, Cam," Patty said dreamily. "I can only made things bigger with a wand."

"I can transfigure things too. Watch." Cam tried a number of times to turn the shoes into field mice but nothing at all happened.

"You need Mummy's wand," Serpens told him. "That's how you did it last time."

"No," Cam huffed. "I used Aunt Pansy's wand Monday morning and it worked better than Mummy's." Cam waved the wand a number of times but the shoes remained the same. He got mad and flicked it hard a couple of times causing small sparks to come out.

"Stop it, Cam," Vic said. "Our daddy will spank us for playing with a wand."

"But your parents are nulled. He won't spank you anymore because he wants you to like him more than your mummy."

"He doesn't care about that," Kenny said. "He'll still spank me and Vic if we're bad."

"Don't you get lots more things with them nulled?" Cam said.

"We have two houses now, Mummy's and Daddy's," Patty said. "We have two of some things but not everything."

"Do you like them being nulled?" Cam asked.

"Yep, because they are both happier living apart," Vic said.

"They don't row now," Kenny answered.

------******------

Draco poured Blaise a fire whiskey and they sat in front of the fire in his study.

"Serpens seems to get along with Charlie very well," Blaise started.

"They sure do. I don't think Serpens will be going into the Malfoy family business until he's to old to handle dragons."

"Lucius won't be happy about that," Blaise chuckled.

"My father can sob off," Draco replied before tossing down his whiskey and pouring himself another. "In fact my aunt and uncle can sob off too. Those pains in the arses are causing me problems. I know one of those wankers is causing the problem with Ginny's powers."

"I thought everything was fine, Draco."

"That's what we've decided to tell everyone but her magic was weaker when she went to the Healer's yesterday. She was so worried she came to my office after. That's why I can't believe she pulled this stunt with Quidditch trials. She knows it's our magical powers that allow us to take bludger hits without serious injury. Damn her..." He got up and walked around the room. "How in the magical world am I going to keep her safe when she keeps putting herself in harm's way?" Draco exhaled and turned to his closest mate. "Blaise, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to her. This issue with her magical powers has me worried to death. But I can't show her that. Damn it, I have to hold this together."

Blaise walked over to his mate and slapped his back. "You've still got a bodyguard watching her, right?"

"Great idea, I'll have him report back to me hourly. Then if she's doing anything dangerous, I'll Apparate…"

Blaise gave his friend an exhausted look, "Malfoy, you prat. Don't spy on her, fool. Ginny would leave you in an instant if she even thought you were doing that." Blaise took a drink of his whiskey. "What I was going to say was, see if she'll allow him to follow her from a closer distance and maybe get another one." Blaise poured Draco another fire whiskey. "Listen, mate. I know you have a lot to discuss with Ginny tonight but remember to discuss it, don't demand she do things your way. She's likely going to rebel a little. Everyone does when they get their first taste of freedom."

Draco sneered at his friend. "She was never a slave."

"Bad choice of words. She felt like she had very little power and say before. She's going to try to make a point of having it now. Mate, you love each other so don't do anything dumb like throwing that away."

-------*******-------

Ginny stood in her dressing room in her bathrobe. One of her legs was propped on her chair and she was applying lotion to it. She had removed the invisibility charm from her birth control ring so she could put lotion under it. Draco came up to the door as she was running the lotion over her upper thigh. His eyes followed her hands down her long thin leg. Blimey, her legs were gorgeous, he thought. His eyes took in the ring around her ankle.

"Gin, what's that?"

She looked at the ring and placed the invisibility charm back on it. "That's a birth control ring, honey. The potion was awful and I had to remember to take it everyday. I simply need to replace the ring monthly. It's easier and safer."

He folded his arms and legs and leaned against the door-frame. "And how long have you been using it?"

"I got them on holiday, why?"

"I didn't realize we were using birth control. I thought you wanted more children."

Ginny put on her knickers and slipped into her nightgown. "What's the big deal, Draco? While I'm nursing Leo at night it's likely I wouldn't get pregnant anyway. Besides, I'm the one who has to carry the baby!" she spouted.

"Let me get this straight. You get to make decisions that concern our family without informing me. But I have to discuss every minor thing I want to do with you first?" He sneered at her. "I thought you wanted our marriage to be a partnership. But it appears that you merely want to dictate my life," he yelled.

"Shut it, Draco. You're the one who had the midwitch give me the potion to begin with," she screamed back.

"But I told you later that I wanted more children and then during holiday you stopped taking the potion. When I asked you about it, you told me you didn't need it anymore. Why didn't you tell me about the ring then?" he continued to yell.

"Stop being a pain in the arse!" she screamed.

"Mummy! Mummy!" Cam yelled from the bedroom door.

She and Draco turned to see to frightened little boys looking at her. Both Cam and Thuban had tears in their eyes. But Thuban appeared more upset than his brother. "What do you need, sweethearts?"

"You and Daddy were rowing. I hate it when you row," Cam said while running to his mother and hugging her legs. Ginny picked the little boy up.

"We're sorry we woke you, baby," Ginny hugged the boy. "But sometimes mummies and daddies row."

"You have to hug and say you're sorry. That's what you make us do when we row," Cam scolded her.

Draco walked over and kissed Ginny's cheek. "I'm sorry for yelling at you, love. Let's get these two back into bed. I'll take Thuban and check on Serpens."

"Serpens isn't awake. He sleeps through everything," Thuban stated.

Ginny returned to her bedchamber first. The baby had just started to cry, so she sat up on the bed and tried to nurse him. Sensing his mother's distress, Leo fussed at her breast and wouldn't feed. Draco entered the room and went over to the distraught infant and mother. "Scoot up, love." She moved forward on the bed. He climbed in behind her and started massaging her shoulders and neck. He whispered to her sweetly, "I love you, Ginny. We need to discuss a couple of things but we're going to be all right. Calm down. Relax. Take a deep breathe. Good girl. There you go." As the tension and stress left her body, Leo started to suckle at her breast. The boy nursed for the next twenty minutes and Draco massaged her shoulders and kissed her neck the whole time. When the baby was feed, Draco placed him into the cradle and returned to the bed.

He laid down on the bed and collected her into his arms. "First, I was furious at you," he said calmly. "You should have told me about the birth control ring and about Quidditch trials. You know that, right?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I just…"

Draco placed his finger over her lips. "I don't need an excuse. This is new for both of us. We're going to make mistakes. Now, we need to discuss birth control and your playing Quidditch. Why don't you want to get pregnant right now?"

Ginny had been preparing herself for this question. She had decided not to lie to Draco, but she wasn't going to be a hundred percent truthful either. Telling her husband, I don't want to get pregnant until I'm sure we're going to last. Or I want to be in a solid relationship before I have another baby, wouldn't help their marriage.

"I'd like the children to be two or three years apart. Thuban and Cam were too close for me. It's hard meeting the needs of a one-year-old and a newborn. It's easier with a two or three year old and a newborn. If we wait two years Thuban and Cam will be with their tutor for six hours a day not just three."

He kissed her cheek. "That's fine with me. So, we wait for two years and using the ring is fine with me if your Healer approves."

She kissed him on the lips. "That was easy. And if I want to have a baby sooner I'll talk to you."

"Agreed. Now about Quidditch, if you play, I'd like you to play on my team. Not only are you the best damn Chaser in the league but if we're on different teams we'll be spending double the time at the Quidditch pitch causing us to spend too much damn time apart," Draco stated.

"I'll play on your team if you promise to play me."

"Well, we need to discuss if you should be playing. I think you should only play if your Healer agrees and your magical abilities haven't decreased since your Monday appointment," he said. "Ginny, we both know it's the strength of one's magic that keeps you safe in Quidditch. If you're not a hundred percent you shouldn't play. I'd put the same restriction on myself."

"All right, Draco. I agree. If my magical powers are still decreasing on Thursday, I won't play Quidditch until we find out what's wrong with me and it's fixed. I'd love to play on our team."

-----*****-----

Draco sat at the breakfast table talking animatedly to his three older boys. His morning prophet laid untouched on the end table next to the entrance to the room. To Lucius' dismay, Draco had refused to read the paper before coming to the office for the last four years. He loved to connect with his family before leaving each morning and believed it couldn't be done with a paper in front of his face. It would wait until his morning tea at the office.

Serpens bounced excitedly in his chair telling his father all about the dragons his Uncle Charlie worked with. "Daddy, one day I'm going to work with Uncle Charlie. He'll teach me how to be the best dragon handler in the whole world. Most dragons don't live in England, so I'll have to travel a lot. I'll miss everyone but it will be fun."

Thuban rubbed the sleep from his eyes and sneered at his little brother. "Well, I won't miss you!" he growled. "Your voice squeals like a banshee's and your bouncing shakes the table. I …"

"Your remarks are uncalled for, Thuban," Draco scolded his eldest.

"Sorry," the grumpy boy said before going back to his breakfast.

"Daddy, Uncle Blaise said that Sunday, after Quidditch practice, he'd go flying with you and me," Cam informed his father.

Thuban leered at Cam. "Grandfather said he was taking me and Daddy looking for a jumping pony after Quidditch practice Sunday. So, Daddy can't go flying with you," he hissed.

Draco stared at his son for a moment before responding. The boy was yawning from time to time, his eyes were drooping and his movements were slow. There was no doubt the boy had not gotten a good night's sleep. So Draco decided not to punish him for the time being. "Thuban, you are being very rude this morning. You need to change your tune and speak nicely. If you feel that you are unable to do that then I recommend you keep your mouth closed," he said firmly. Thuban nodded to his father.

Ginny walked into the room to see an ill-tempered Thuban yawning. Draco stood and helped his wife into her chair between the two younger boys at the table. A small fruit plate and a croissant were placed in front of her along with her morning tea. Serpens started talking again about his fun evening with his Uncle Charlie, with Cam chiming in from time to time about how much fun it was to have the Goyle and Crabbe boys over to play. Thuban ate his breakfast with a stoney face. The boy would be a terrible grouch all day if he didn't get a couple more hours' sleep. Ginny was thinking of a number of ways to trick the boy back to bed when Draco spoke.

"Gin, if we're not busy after Quidditch practice Sunday, would you mind if I take these three and go looking at a couple of jumping ponies with my father?"

"You're buying a new pony? What's wrong with Stormy?"

"Father is planning on buying a well trained jumping pony. Thuban needs a smaller pony to learn on," Draco informed her before looking at his watch. "I have to be going, love. Think about Sunday and floo before noon with your answer." Ginny nodded and Draco finished eating quickly. He kissed each of his son's cheek and whispered "I love you, be a good boy for Mummy," in their ears.

Ginny accompanied him to the foyer of their house. Draco took her into his arms and tried to give her a short and sweet goodbye kiss. But when he felt her mouth open he deepened the kiss and the two where lost in each other until there was a knock on the door. The young couple broke apart before the house elf Apparated into the foyer. Draco welcomed Molly and kissed Ginny one more time before Apparating to his office.

"I'm glad to see you, Mum," Ginny said. "Thuban needs some more sleep and it's a task to get him back down. He's unbearable to deal with when his tired."

"He sounds like Bill as a child," Molly answered.

"We're just finishing breakfast, Mum. The dinning room is this way." Ginny and Molly walked into the room. Thuban and Cam had finished their breakfast and were waiting to be dismissed from the table. Ginny sent the two with Tipsy to wash up and then to the playroom. She and Serpens had just finished their breakfast when a Ministry Owl arrived for Ginny.

She opened the letter. It was a request to testify at the Goyle annulment trial that morning. The document made it clear that her attendance was optional. She thought for a couple of minutes before turning to Molly.

"Mum, I need to go to the Ministry. Would you mind watching the boys for me?"