Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

I'm THREE!!!!!!

------******-------

Draco thought it was a dream at first, until his son's knee came in contract his groin. The blond wizard moaned and opened one eye.

"Daddy, I'm three!" Serpens squealed in his father's ear as he excitedly jumped on the bed.

Draco looked at the clock. Merlin help me it's four a.m., he thought. He grabbed the little boy and hugged him close. "Yes, you are three now, although it is far too early to wake. What do you say to cuddling for a couple more hours?"

The little wizard burrowed into his father's chest. "I love to cuddle."

The light whimpers of his youngest son woke him two hours later. Serpens was sound asleep on his chest. Draco placed the birthday boy next to Ginny and headed for the cradle. As he placed Leo on the changing table, he felt a tugging on his pajama bottoms.

"NO! Daddy! It's my day not Leo's! You and me today, Daddy. Just you and me," Serpens cried.

Draco kept one hand on the baby while he rubbed the three year olds' back with the other. "I still need to help Mummy this morning, mate. It will go faster if you help." He stopped rubbing Serpens' back and handed the little boy a fresh nappy. "Hold this for me, please."

Unhappily, the little wizard held the nappy and waited for his father to clean up the baby. That little red-haired thing was becoming a big problem in Serpens' eyes. It wasn't any fun being a big brother. Everyone had lied to him. Leo didn't care when he was around, all that baby did was take up Mummy's and Daddy's time. Ever time Leo cried someone come running. The three year old sat on the floor and started to howl. Draco looked at him and realizing the boy wasn't hurt, he went back to changing the baby who was hungry and crying loudly. As Leo's crying increased so did Serpens' and when his increased volume didn't get him results, he crawled over, sat on his father's feet and continued to cry.

The noise woke Ginny. She went over and retrieved the freshly changed baby. "I'll feed Leo," she said and then turned and smiled at her three year old, "Happy Birthday, Serpens."

He stopped howling and whimpered, "Thank you, Mummy." He dried his tears, hissed and pointed at the babe in her arms. "Bad baby. It's my day! My Daddy!" The little wizard raised his arms to his father. "Up, Daddy. Up!" he demanded.

Draco eyed the boy, whose expression softened under his father's gaze. Serpens' batted his large puppy eyes, "Please, Daddy, carry me," said the sweet voice of the child.

Draco couldn't help himself, he loved the little wizard at his feet too much to deny a simple request. He lifted the boy placing him on his hip, walked over to the chair on Ginny's side of the bed, sat and placed Serpens on his lap.

"Leo is not a bad baby. He was wet and hungry. Babies can't speak and they communicate by crying. It is your birthday but I still need to help your Mummy."

"It's no fun being big brother. I liked being youngest better. Everyone says Leo's cute now, not me. And he doesn't do anything," the little wizard cried into his father's shoulder.

Draco rubbed the little boy's back. "Come now, Serpens, very soon we will need your help and you'll see how much fun it is to be the older brother. You'll help us teach Leo how to play different games, laugh, talk, crawl, walk and other things."

"Why'd you have him? We didn't need him. We were happier without him. Everything changed when he came," Serpens spat.

"It wasn't Leo's fault things changed, Serpens. Besides, I'm happy they have." Draco kissed away the boy's tears. "As for not needing Leo, well, I needed him. I love Mummy, Thuban, Cam and you so much I thought it was time we shared our love with another baby."

Two pairs of fist pounding on the door interrupted their conversation. "For Merlin's sake stop knocking and come in," Draco ordered.

Thuban and Cam ran into the room. "Serpens! There's a gigantic package in the foyer for you," Thuban exclaimed.

"It's the biggest present I've ever seen," Cam added.

"Come on, let's see what's inside," the two older boys said while pulling their father's arm.

"Get dressed for the day first," Ginny commanded. "Then we'll all go downstairs and watch as Serpens opens his gift." She eyed her husband, who placed Serpens on the floor.

"You heard your mother, off with you. I'll send Tipsy and Nan to help," he said.

"I need business robes, right, Daddy? I'm going to work with you, right?" Serpens asked.

"Draco?" Ginny questioned.

"Yes, Serpens, business robes. Now get to it," his father answered.

"Draco?" she inquired again.

Once the boys were out of the room he closed the door and sat next to her. "My father has arranged to be away from the office all day and, in addition, I have no idea who sent the gift in the entryway or what it is.

-------*******-------

The family gathered around the five-foot tall, five-foot long, two-foot wide crate. Thuban removed the card and handed it to Draco.

"It's from Grandfather, Serpens," Thuban announced.

Draco quickly read the card to the little wizard and helped him open the box. Serpens couldn't contain himself as his father guided what appeared to be a live, five feet tall, Antipodean Opaleye out of the crate. The iridescent, pearly scales and glittering, multi-colored, pupilless eyes made this the world's most beautiful species of dragon. It had always been Serpens' favorite. The three year old patted the dragon and it produced a very vivid scarlet flame causing the Malfoy children to watch in amazement.

Ginny gasped, "A real dragon, how could he?"

"It's not real, Ginny. It is an enchanted toy. The flames won't burn, they're not even warm," her husband advised.

Thuban sat on the stairs manically reading the directions for the toy. "Sweet Merlin's ghost, you lucky little git, this is the best present any of us has even gotten. It FLIES! And you can ride on it! It does all the great things that a real dragon does and none of the bad ones! You're gonna share it with us right, Serpens?"

The three-year old smirked; he had never before had a toy his eldest brother envied.

"You'll need someone to help you train him, Serpens," Cam interjected as he read over Thuban's shoulder. "We can help you do it." The four-year old looked at his father. "Daddy, it has levels you can set for flying like our brooms do but it also has a more basic setting. I bet he could fly on it now."

Draco beamed and hurried over to his sons on the stairs. An evening flight on their brooms and Serpens on his dragon would be a perfect end to his special day.

"Oh my goodness!" Narcissa exclaimed as she walked into the entryway. "He persuaded them to do it."

"Persuaded them to do what, Narcissa?" Ginny asked.

"That only came as a Welsh Green. Lucius had been trying to persuade them to fill his special order for an Antipodean Opaleye for months."

Serpens led his dragon over to his grandmother. She lifted the little wizard up. "Happy birthday, Serpens darling," she said, kissing his cheek.

"He's the greatest! Thank you!" he said as he hugged her tight.

"You are welcome, Serpens, although I had nothing to do with that gift. Your grandfather acquired it. My gift for you is at the guesthouse. I believe we should eat breakfast first." Narcissa started to carry the boy towards the dining room with the rest of the family close behind.

--------********---------

Draco returned from the office, Apparating into the foyer of Black Hall with a sleeping Serpens in his arms. He slowly and carefully walked up the stairs and towards the boy's bedchamber. Ginny exited Cam's rooms in time to open the door for her husband.

She giggled and smiled at the pair. "You wore him out already?"

"It wasn't me, it was Mandy. She had him running all over the office this morning. We barely made it through our business lunch."

They removed the boy's cloak and robe before covering the little wizard with a blanket, kissing his forehead and leaving the room. Draco placed a possessive arm around Ginny's waist as they walked down the hall and tried to guide her into their sitting room.

"Nice try, sir, but if we go in there, you'll have me naked and on my back in no time," she said as she guided them to the stairs.

"And what's wrong with that?" he asked raising his brow at her.

"My family, your mother, Blaise and Pansy are coming over to celebrate Serpens' birthday in a couple of hours. We don't have time for sex."

He quickly moved and pinned her against the wall. He locked his fingers with hers and held her hands over her head as he lovingly attacked her neck with kisses.

"Draco," she giggled. "We really don't have time."

His lips left her neck and he playfully nibbled at her left breast through her robe and shirt before capturing her lips in a very passionate kiss. When he pulled away he rained kisses on her left ear and whispered, "I love you." He released her, kissing her cheek. "Until tonight then?" he questioned.

She guided him down the stairs. "If you're good!" she giggled.

"I always am," he playfully replied before pinching her behind.

"Ouch, Draco! I wouldn't call that behaving!"

"You didn't say anything about behaving." He smirked at her as their feet touched the landing. "You merely stated that I had to be good." He pulled her close into a kiss, rubbing his body against hers and running his hands down her back. His lips left hers to caress her neck and she melted into his gentle kisses and soft touch. As his hands cupped the curve of her behind, she moaned and he murmured, "I am good, aren't I?"

Ginny couldn't stop the giggles from escaping but she was able to push away from him and teasingly slap his hands, "Not that kind of good, Draco. The helpful and well behaved kind of good is what I need this afternoon."

He genuflected to his wife. "I'm at your service, my lady."

"Now, that's more like it." She lifted her nose to the ceiling and walked away very authoritatively. Once she reached the family parlor, she turned to him and smirked. "By the way, you were correct." His expression become one of puzzlement. She kissed his cheek and whispered seductively in his ear. "Your statement on the stairs, darling. That other type of good, you are always very very good that way."

He entered the parlor with a renewed spring in his step now truly ready to perform whatever task she placed in front of him.

--------********--------

"Uncles Gred are trying to flank us," Thuban screamed to Gabe for him to operate the cannon on the right back tower. "Cam, there's a group to the left too." He pointed to Uncles Bill and Charlie. "Serpens! You and your dragons take care of Daddy and Uncle Blaise. They're coming from behind. I'll take him," he pointed at Ron who was making a frontal attack.

The four little wizards manned their posts on the play castle Lucius and Narcissa had built next to the guesthouse for Serpens' birthday. The twenty feet high, fourteen by fourteen building looked more like a house than a child's toy. It was three stories high, the top floor, open, with high stone rails and even higher towers on each of the four corners. Each tower was armed with cannons which fired soft cannon balls at attackers and the entire castle was surrounded by a two feet wide, one foot deep moat.

Cam and Gabe fired the soft cannonballs at the advancing wizards, while Serpens ordered his enchanted Opaleye, along with the six small enchanted dragons Ron had given him for his birthday, to attack Draco and Blaise from behind. Thuban watched Ron easily breach the shallow moat. Noting that Ron's focus was fixed on the tower to his left, Thuban took advantage of being on his blind side to the right and opened the window on the first floor of the castle. Climbing out onto the window ledge seven feet above the ground, Thuban fearlessly launched himself towards his uncle.

All five witches, enjoying tea on the guesthouse patio, looked up in time to see Thuban jump. Their screams stopped the men from their play and set them in a frantic run to the front of the castle.

"For Merlin's sake catch him, Ron!" Ginny yelled.

The youngest Weasley brother turned in time to cushion Thuban's impact, but the force still caused them to tumble, landing Ron on his back with Thuban on top of him. The little wizard pulled out a play wand and pointed it at his uncle.

"You are my prisoner now."

Lost in their game, Ron placed his hands over his head and chuckled, "You win, Thuban."

The little wizard smirked before throwing both of his arms around his uncle's neck. "You've been great fun today, Uncle Ron."

Ginny arrived and lifted her eldest son to his feet and ran her wand over him before Ron had a chance to reply or return the hug. She pulled the boy in close against her still trembling body. "Thank goodness you're alright." Her mood quickly turned and she scolded him, "What were you thinking? You could have killed yourself. I should take my wand to your bottom right now."

Draco came around the corner still shooing the small dragons away and, much to Thuban's relief, drew his panic-stricken wife into his warm embrace. "What happened, Ginny?"

"Draco, he jumped out the window." She pointed a shaky hand at the open window.

He turned to the boy and growled, "I told you, no jumping off the castle."

Thuban slowly shook his head, "You said not to jump off the top and I didn't."

Another low growl escaped Draco's throat but Thuban stood his ground. Not wanting to lose either control of his temper or the battle of words, Draco looked down at his watch and grinned. As he thought, it was bedtime. "Boys, it's bedtime. Say goodnight to everyone. Thuban, I believe you have something else to say to the ladies?"

"I'm very sorry for causing you a scare. Although, I assure you, Uncle Ron would have broken my fall," Thuban said before kissing each woman good night and saying his goodbyes to the rest of the family.

"We need to get going too, Bill," Fleur said.

"It's late, we should be going as well," Percy added.

"Us too," Fred added.

"Yes, we'll need our rest. Someone's coming over to make potions with us tomorrow." George rubbed Thuban's head.

"We'll show you out then," Ginny said. "Narcissa, will you join us at the main house to finish our tea?"

"Yes thank you, Ginevra."

The group said their good-byes on the way to the house. Percy, his wife, Fred, George and Charlie Disapparated on the back patio while Bill and his family used the floo.

The remaining women, Ginny, Narcissa, Molly and Pansy settled themselves in the family parlor where tea was quickly served by the house elves.

"Gin, I'll put these three to bed and have a drink in my study with the gentlemen," Draco informed her.

"That would be wonderful, thank you." She kissed his cheek then took her chair.

As the group walked away they heard Narcissa's voice. "Thuban is going to frighten me to death one day."

Arthur turned to his son-in-law. "Baths first for these three, Draco?"

"Ginny bathed them before dinner so it's straight to bed."

"Way to go, Thuban," Cam started. "We'd still be playing in the castle if it wasn't for you."

"I thought they were too busy talking to be watching. And it isn't my fault witches overreact," Thuban replied giving his brother a little push.

"What do you say to not ending this evening with a trip to my study, sons?" Draco firmly stated.

"Sorry, Daddy," the two replied.

"Our moat's too easy to cross, isn't it, Uncle Ron?" Thuban asked.

Ron chuckled, "It just got my boots a little wet."

"We'll dig and make it deeper," Serpens said as they came to the stairs.

"Uncle Blaise, you can buy me a few Grindylows for our moat for my birthday," Cam added.

"Great idea! And you can get me a few Kappas for my birthday," Thuban interjected.

"I don't think so, boys." Draco shook his head. "The moat will remain as it is, shallow and free of dark creatures."

"Be a good sport, Malfoy. At least let them put some blood sucking leeches in it," Ron said.

The three little wizards smirked at their uncle. Maybe he wasn't that big of a git after all.

"Thanks, Weasley," Draco sarcastically replied. "Gentlemen, please go on to my study. I'll join you all shortly."

--------********--------

Ron sat back on the settee, his face flushed with disbelief after viewing Draco, Snape and Doge's memories from the night his best friend had died. He looked at Doge and asked, "Do you believe Draco tried to save Harry?"

"Yes," Doge replied. "He was the only one who could have and it almost cost him his life."

Ron stared at Draco. "Why didn't you tell me? Why'd you let me believe you were the reason he was dead?"

"You would have never believed me, Weasley. Besides, at the time, I didn't care what you thought of me. I still don't." Draco poured everyone a fire whiskey and, when he handed Ron his glass, he looked into his eyes. "Well, I care a little what you think, Weasley. It would make my wife happy if we learned to play nicely with each other."

"Make Ginny happy?" Ron stuttered.

"Yes, Weasley. Her happiness is one of my top priorities, second only to her safety and well-being."

Both Ron and Arthur were taken aback by Draco's candor. It took a minute for Ron to find his voice. "Thank you for trying to save him. Now, we know it wasn't Remus with Harry. Who could it have been?"

Snape stepped forward. "The plan was know only to Rufus Scrimgeour, Lucius, Draco, Elphias, Rastaban, Rodolphus, Bellatrix, Owen Carrows, William Rosier, Minerva, Kingsley, Hestia Jones, Remus, Tiberius Ogden, Griselda Marchbanks and myself. It had to be one of us. We can eliminate Remus, Draco, Lucius, Elphias, Rastaban, Rodolphus, Owen, Minerva, Kingsley, Hestia and myself. The full moon made it impossible for Remus to have been there in his human form and our memories show who else was there when the fake Remus appeared."

"It wouldn't be an order member, so only Bellatrix and Rosier are left," Blaise said.

"I wouldn't count out Order members," Ron added. "If Harry hadn't died, Rufus Scrimgeour, Tiberius Ogden and Griselda Marchbanks could have lost their positions. Although I think we can take Griselda Marchbanks off the list."

"How do we figure out this puzzle? We can't take it to the ministry, three of our suspects are high ranking government officials," Arthur stated.

"I'm already keeping an eye on my nutter of an aunt. I'll look into her doings," Draco said.

"I can check Rosier. My mother still has links into his family," Blaise added.

Ron chuckled, "He's single, Zabini. Maybe she should just marry him."

The room was quiet for a few seconds until Blaise started to laugh. His mother did have a way of getting rid of husbands. The rest of the room joined Blaise in his laughter.

--------********--------

Thuban's eyes were the size of saucers as he looked around Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. His parents had never brought him into this shop. The time he had spent in it had always been limited to five minutes here and there when he was able to sneak away from his mother. As he took his time reading the displays and product information, he realized he should have taken longer on his previous trips.

This shop had always had Draco's attention. Many of the items were more than gags and were downright useful. Malfoy pride had stopped Draco or Lucius from doing business with the Weasley twins, but now things had changed. It would make Ginny happy if he increased her brothers' business opportunities and it would make Malfoy International even wealthier.

"See anything you like, Thuban?" Fred inquired.

"Loads!" the little wizard almost screamed before turning sad, "but Mummy said I can only bring home a couple of fireworks. She doesn't want her home overrun with your silly items. She had enough of it growing up."

George shook his head. "You're letting her spend way to much time with Mum, Malfoy!"

"She really needs to loosen up a little," added Fred.

"Our poor nephew here needs some fun. A couple of fake wands, a canary cream to give to a pesty little brother."

"Don't give him any ideas, you blokes, or Ginny will never let him back here again," Draco chuckled.

"I'll be back if she likes it or not. This place is well worth any spanking," Thuban announced.

"Thuban!" Draco tried to scold the boy.

"Look around, Daddy. I'm only telling the truth."

Draco knelt in front of his eldest son. "That's a truth you should keep to yourself."

"Hey, Uncle Fred! I've got an idea. You need to create a product called iron behind. You know like your puking pastilles. You take one end before you get a spanking so it doesn't hurt."

"He's going to be a great asset to our business, Fred."

"I can see it now, George. A whole shelf of Thuban inspired products."

The little boy smirked broadly and puffed out his chest. His twin uncles were the greatest, well second only to his grandfather and his father. Making potions with them would be really neat, although he did wish he were at the manor working with Lucius instead.

The group walked through the back hall to the potion lab. Once in the room, the twins changed from their normally playful selves to very serious potion makers. They gave Thuban a list of rules to follow at all times and then placed protective gloves, cloak, and glasses on the boy. Once Thuban was suited up, the adults did the same.

They worked on a simple stink pellet potion. It was one of the easiest but contained the most ingredients. The little wizard spent a great deal of time cutting things up. The older wizards sat back and watched the boy work.

"He's a natural in the potion's lab, Malfoy," Fred said. "He really doesn't need all the protective gear but it's easier to make him wear it all the time."

"We've learned from letting Gabe work with us. Mum doesn't take well to potions being spilled on her grandchildren."

"One little drop of stink pellet potion and we were hexed into next week," Fred added.

Draco chuckled. "Do you have Gabe over often?"

"Every other week. He's nothing like Thuban in the lab," Fred said.

"Poor lad Gabe, he's all thumbs when it comes to potions," George added.

"Thuban can come whenever he likes, if he's always this helpful."

"I'll speak with Gin about it," Draco said. "Now, what type of importing and exporting lines do you have in place?"

"Daddy! You promised not to talk business!" Thuban said as he cut up the stinkweed.

--------********--------

Andromeda Tonks stopped and stared at the great house in front of her. It had been over thirty years since she had been back to her childhood home. Since marrying 'mudblood' Tonks, she hadn't been welcome back here until today. Her husband Ted touched her elbow.

"It will be fine, Andie. Molly is waiting inside for you."

"Wow, Grandmum. You grew up in this big house?" her eldest grandson, TJ, asked.

"Yes, dear."

"Let's go inside, Mum," her daughter Nympahdora said.

"I think she needs a couple of minutes, Dorie," Remus whispered in her ear. Remus had taken to calling her Dorie after they had been dating for a number of months. He preferred it over Tonks and in time so did everyone else.

"It's a beautiful house, Mummy," six-year-old Cassie Lupin added. "I like all the flowers by this entry."

Andromeda smiled at her granddaughter. "I planted those flowers years ago with my sister Narcissa. We fought for days over the color."

"I still think coral would have been a better selection," Narcissa softly stated, as she stood in the doorway that led directly to the ballroom. "Welcome back home, Andie." Narcissa walked down and embraced her sister. The blonde witch was torn between her deep love for her sister and her dislike of the choices that she had made. They would never be close again and Narcissa would never truly welcome Ted Tonks into her family, but she would welcome her sister warmly.

"Your grandchildren are beautiful," Narcissa said before four-year-old John walked out for behind his father. The blonde woman gasped at the sight of him. "For the love of Circa, he looks the image of Uncle Orion."

Andie giggled and hugged John close. "Yes, he does and I hear your grandson, Cygnus is the image of Father?"

Narcissa pointed her arm towards the door. "Come alone inside, Andie, and I'll introduce you to my little cherubs. It appears, between the two of us, we've reproduced two different Black patriarchs."

The group walked through the hallway into the great ballroom. It was beautifully decorated with streamers containing enchanted dragon pictures. Stuffed dragons stood at the side of the doorway and a four foot tall dragon-shaped cake graced a large table.

Serpens, the Malfoy family crest on the right side of his dress robes, sat on his father's hip at the doorway welcoming his guests. The rest of his family was dressed nicely but their attire was more casual. They greeted the Tonks and Lupin families briefly with promises of coming over to their table for a longer visit after lunch. Andromeda walked her family over to their table and couldn't hold back her giggles of delight.

"Although this room never hosted a little wizard's birthday while I was a child, Ginny and Cissy have recreated the traditional Black child's party, down to the party crackers. All the old society bats are invited to the luncheon. Once that is over they will go home and the children will play games in the courtyard." She pointed to a table. "All the gifts go to needy child or the hospital's children ward."

"You mean he doesn't get any birthday presents?" John said appalled by the idea.

"His family and close friends will have given him his presents on his actual birthday," Andie informed the four year old, to his great relief.

"I don't think you need to worry about a Malfoy child not getting gifts. I'm sure Serpens has everything he wants," Ted Tonks added.

"Not according to Gabe, Granddad," TJ interjected. "Thuban wanted a horse and a puppy but his dad wouldn't get him either."

The formal luncheon went well for everyone at the party. Ginny made sure the food was to the liking of both adult and child. It was also easy to cut and spear with a fork. After the last course, the dragon cake was moved in front of Serpens and the guests sang 'Happy Birthday' to the little wizard. When the song ended, the birthday boy cut the first piece of cake with Ginny's help and everyone popped their crackers. A paper crown, gift and joke come out of each one. Cassie received a toy necklace, TJ a toy soldier and John a toy horse.

TJ picked up the papers from the crackers and read them. "What is the most popular sentence at school?" he giggled before finishing, "I don't know."

"I like that one," Cam said as he walked up to their table. The elves had just finished serving cake to the group. "Feel free to eat your cake, I've already had mine." He walked over and stared at John. "You're a Black! I'm the Black heir you know. Cygnus Abraxas Black-Malfoy." He offered his hand to John, who shook it. "You can call me, Cam. My whole family does... well not Grandmother, Grandfather, Uncle Rodolphus or Aunt Bella."

Andie giggled, "I imagine they would use your given name."

"It was my great grandfather's name." Cam raised his brow at her. "Are you my grandmother's other sister?"

"Yes, I am."

Cam smirked, "That's why Aunt Bella's been looking at you funny all luncheon. It's very nice to meet you." He returned his focus to John. "What's your name?"

"John Lupin."

Cam disappointedly replied, "Oh, you're not named after the stars like most Blacks."

"My middle name is Cepheus."

"That's good. Would you like to go play the games with me?"

"Daddy, may I?" John asked Remus, who nodded. The two little wizards skipped out onto the ballroom patio.

The first game the boys saw was "Wizards' Ninepin", where both the ball and pin were bewitched to move and talk. The ball would give the bowlers advice, sometimes tricking them. Its cries of "Chuck me harder next time!" could be heard throughout the courtyard. The next game was "Pin the Flame on The Dragon". Each child got a dragon's flame to pin and then was blindfolded and spun around a number of times. If s/he got the flame close enough, the enchanted poster would came to life and burn itself up. Another game involved throwing magical darts at balloons. When the balloon popped, it was replaced by a toy. The last game had children throwing a small Quaffle through giant hoops. There were also pony rides and a puppet show to complete the entertainment.

Once his guest had collected a large bag full of small toys, Cam led John to a secret door saying, "Come on, John. I can show you around Black Hall quicker this way. Plus the secret passageways are really neat." The two little wizards slipped into the dark hall as Bella watched and followed moments later.

"It's dark in here," John said.

"Lumos," said a cold female voice before the hallway candles lit.

Cam gasped then turned. "Oh, it's only you, Aunt Bella."

"Introduce me to your friend, Cygnus."

"He's more than a friend, Aunt Bella. He is a Black."

John step forward and offered the older witch his hand. "I'm John Cepheus Lupin."

"I will call you Cepheus, if you don't mind. All Blacks need noble names and John is so common," the witch said.

The little wizard smiled. "Cepheus was a king."

"Cepheus it is then. Now, Cygnus, let us show our fellow Black the many secrets of this house and land." She turned to the small boy. "What you are about to see, Cepheus, can only be told to another Black."

The boy nodded and the three headed down the path.

Out in the courtyard, Draco tended to Serpens' every need as the boy and his friends, Kenny Crabbe and Gary Goyle, played the party games. A short distance away Greggy Goyle, Victor Crabbe and Gabe Weasley teased Thuban.

"Hold my hand, Thuban. You look handsome today," Gabe said in a girlish voice.

"You look lovely today," Victor said trying to sound like Thuban. The boys began to sing.

"Thuban and Harriet sitting in a tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G."

"I don't like her. My daddy's making me be nice to her," Thuban hissed.

"First comes love, second comes marriage," the boys continued to sing.

Thuban turned and walked over to Harriet who was watching the puppet show with Cassie and Brittany. He got in the little girl's face. "I don't like you. I'll never liked you, so don't hold my hand anymore, understand?"

"Thuban?" Harriet started to cry.

"You're mean, Thuban! I'm telling your mummy," Brittany spat.

Sirius ran to his sister's side with TJ Lupin close behind. "Stop making my sister cry!" he ordered.

"I did't make her cry. I just told her to stop touching me. She's always hanging on me, now everyone thinks I like her. But I don't. She can be my friend but that's it. I'm going to marry a pureblood and your mother is a Mud..." the little wizard caught himself before the rest of the word came out, although that did not stop the girls from gasping and Brittany running for Ginny.

"Aunt Ginny! Aunt Ginny! Thuban's making Harriet cry and he said a really bad word!" the little blonde witch yelled as she headed for her redheaded aunt.

Harriet's crying increased, so Sirius pushed Thuban. "Be quiet!"

Thuban pushed Sirius back. "Don't push me!"

The boys pushed each other harder and soon they were rolling on the grass with other children yelling around them. The next thing Thuban knew a female hand was on his back and pulling him to his feet.

"Thuban, what were you thinking?" Narcissa hissed in the boy's ear. "Behaving like a common wally. Come, let us find your father."

"But Grandmother, he started it," Thuban protested.

"Mother" Draco nodded as he approached the pair.

"He was rolling on the ground fighting," she whispered handing the boy to his father.

"Daddy!" Thuban pleaded.

"We'll discuss this in your room while you're cleaning up," Draco ordered.

"Draco." Ginny stopped him inside the ballroom. "He called Hermione that name again."

"No, I didn't Mummy. I stopped before I said it all," Thuban pleaded.

"Ginny, this needs to be handled privately. We'll speak when we return."

She nodded and walked back to the courtyard. The wizards remained quiet until inside Thuban's bedchamber.

"I didn't mean to make her cry. I only wanted the others to stop teasing me. I didn't say the word either. I stopped after I said Mud," Thuban explained quickly. "Sirius pushed me first. I couldn't let him push me again. I'm too little to have a wand so I had to use my hands. I tried really hard to be good, Daddy. I really did." By this time, Thuban was crying uncontrollably.

"Calm yourself, Thuban," Draco said rubbing his back. "Explain yourself more clearly. How did it start?" It took a few moments for Thuban to calm himself, but he was eager for his side of the story to be told.

"Greggy, Victor and Gabe were teasing me because Harriet always wants to be around me and hold my hand. I was being nice to her all day and they kept teasing me more and more. So, I told her I didn't like her like that and she started to cry. Then Sirius pushed me and I had to push him back and we started fighting. Grandmother's really mad."

"What about using the word Mummy doesn't like?"

"I only said Mud. I stopped before I said the rest."

"Go wash up. I'll get you a clean shirt." Draco walked into the dressing room and removed a shirt. While doing so he heard noises and pushed open the secret passageway door. He spotted Cam's blond hair. "Cygnus," he called. The boy and his friend stopped running and returned to his father.

"We were only playing, Daddy," Cam said.

"Go sit on Thuban's bed you two. I told you not to play in the passages today," Draco reminded the boy.

"I forgot. Sorry Daddy," Cam replied sleepishly.

Draco helped his eldest put on a clean shirt, before leading the three boys, back to the ballroom.

Andie Tonks ran up to the group outside the ballroom and hugged her grandson. "We've been looking everywhere for you, John."

"Cam showed me the secret passages."

Andie smiled. "Tell me about your fun as we look for your mother. I played in those passages as a child too." She led the boy away for Draco.

He turned to his sons. "You will behave yourselves the rest of the day. We will be discussing your punishment this evening."

--------********--------

Thuban peeked through his bedroom window and watched as his godparents Disapparated. He was put to bed after all the guests except family members and the closest of friends had left Serpens' party as punishment for his earlier misbehavior. The little wizard wasn't upset, being sent to bed was better than getting a spanking. The boy watched because he knew once all the guests were gone his parents would put his little brother to bed and check on him. He planned to make his escape after that.

Serpens, with his new purple Pygmy Puff on his shoulder, ran into the house. Thuban then made sure his father's invisibility cloak was completely out of sight. He thought over what he was about to do as he climbed into his bed. He would be severely punished if he were caught, although he had to do this. When Lucius didn't show up for Serpens' formal birthday party, the little wizard knew his mother would likely never allow him to see his grandfather again. Seeing his beloved Grandfather was worth the risk and the danger. Thuban had never flooed by himself before and if he made a mistake, who knows where he might end up.

The door to his bedchamber opened and his parents entered. Ginny sat on his bed and kissed his forehead. "I love you, Thuban. Sleep well," she whispered.

Draco also kissed the boy's forehead and whispered, "I love you." He then cast a charm so the room remained the perfect warmth throughout the night, with a second flick of his wand a soft lullaby started to play. Thuban exhaled extremely annoyed with his father. How does Daddy always know when I'm pretending to be asleep? he wondered.

"How'd you know?" Ginny asked.

Draco chuckled. "He's very much like me and I used to pretend too," he said before closing the door.

Thuban got out of bed and softly walked back and forth, it was the only way to fight the lullaby. He decided to wait thirty minutes before he tried to made has way to the family parlor. It was a good thing he had, for Draco popped in to check on his eldest before the time had gone by. Thuban was able to get into his bed moments before the door had opened. After his father left for the second time, he put on the invisibility cloak and placed the extendable ear he had gotten at his uncles' shop into his pajama top pocket.

The walk to the family parlor and the floo trip to Malfoy Manor went perfectly. Although he was lucky to think about looking into the mirror before going to his grandfather's study. The trip left ash on the cloak causing it to appear as a giant ash ball floating down the hall. A quick brushing of the cloak fixed the problem.

Voices were coming from his grandfather's study so he placed the extendable ear on it and went around the corner to listen.

"I have all the members of the Wizengamot in agreement now. A new law will be passed within the week. Pureblooded wizarding children will always be placed with a parent whose powers are intact," Bellatrix said. "Once the charm has transferred Ginevra's powers to Serpens, you will have Kelly show up at the door with the child."

"Yes, I'm sure he has never told Ginevra of his American lover. Of course, I couldn't persuade the real witch to perform the task but Polyjuice will fix that small problem. We'll use a slight appearance charm on the child so he resembles Draco," Lucius said.

"She will surely divorce him for abandoning his child," Bellatrix added.

Thuban sat in shock as he listened. How could his grandfather work against his parents? He wanted to run to the floo and go home but his need to collect all the information he could for his parents won out.

"Excellent," Bellatrix said. "We will have the children back here in a few weeks. By summer's end Draco and Narcissa will realize Cygnus should come and live with me."

"Letting you have him is a small sacrifice for my other grandsons," Lucius coldly stated.

"Yes, then I will need your help acquiring Cepheus Lupin," Bellatrix ordered.

"That child is not a pureblood. What do you want with him?" Lucius inquired.

"If you were to see him, Lucius, you would know that his blood is pure. He is all Black. He has none of his maternal grandfather's blood. Orion Black would surely name this child as his heir. I must raise both boys. They should have come from my womb but Gideon Prewett's hex stopped it," Bellatrix hissed.

"We will find away for you to raise Cepheus also," Lucius added.

"Good evening, my friend," Bellatrix replied before Disapparating.

Thuban slowly moved to the study door to remove the extendable ear but stopped when he heard his grandfather's voice.

"Draco Malfoy, Black Hall."

"Master is busy," replied a house elf.

"Tell my son to put his pants on and get over here. This matter concerns the well being of his family, especially his wife."

Thuban moved back to his corner. He had to hear this conversion and he didn't have to wait long. The boy heard an Apparition pop then his grandfather's voice again.

"Ah, you must have had your pants on," Lucius chuckled.

"What is it, Father?" Draco asked in an annoyed tone.

Thuban listened and smiled broadly as his grandfather repeated his previous conversation. Thuban had to hold back his laughter when both wizards in the study referred to Bellatrix as crazy and a nutter. Happiness replaced the fear he had been feeling only moments before. The two greatest wizards in the world were discussing how to keep his mummy and brothers safe. Nothing bad could happen now.

"I have arranged bodyguards for Ginevra and the children, Draco. I wouldn't put it past Bellatrix to have more than one plan."

"That is not…" Draco started.

"It has already been done, Draco. I'm taking no chances," Lucius demanded.

"As you wish, Father. Thank you for your help. I need to return to Ginny and discuss this matter."

"Draco!" Lucius' voice cracked. "Serpens' party went well?"

"Yes, it did. You will see for yourself shortly. I believe Mother is preparing a Pensieve for your viewing," Draco replied happily. "Good evening, Father."

Thuban heard his father Disapparate. He waited a couple of minutes before going to the study door and opening it. He looked around the room quickly and after seeing only his grandfather staring at the open door, Thuban threw off the cloak and ran to him.

"Grandfather! Grandfather! I've missed you so much." The boy jumped into the loving arms of the blond wizard.

Lucius' face displayed his shock and great happiness. For the last two weeks, hugging one of his grandsons had been foremost in his mind.

"I've missed you also, Thuban, although you shouldn't be here."

"But I may never be allowed to see you again, Grandfather."

Lucius sat the boy on his desk. "I'm working on that, Thuban. It will take some time but your parents will let me visit you and your brothers again. It will take longer if you run off to visit me without their permission."

"But I need you to keep me safe, Grandfather!"

The older wizard opened a drawer and removed a coin. "If you are ever in trouble, Thuban, rub the coin and I will come." He looked in the eyes of the little boy. "It has to be real trouble, understand?"

"Yes, Grandfather." Thuban placed the coin in his pocket.

Lucius kissed the boy's forehead and started for the fireplace. Thuban jumped into his grandfather's arms. "What are you doing?"

"Flooing your father."

"I don't want to go, stop."

"Sumtin!" The old elf appeared. "Go inform Draco of Thuban presence at the manor." The elf bowed and disappeared.

The boy held Lucius tight around his neck. "I don't want to go. I can stay the night. Please, Grandfather. I want to stay here."

Three pops behind him caused Lucius to turn to face Ginny, Narcissa and Draco.

"How did you get him?" Ginny spat.

Thuban growled at his mother, "I flooed over here. Grandfather didn't have anything to do with it. I want to stay with him. I miss him."

"Thuban, do not speak to your mother in that tone," Lucius scolded.

"I'm sorry," the boy replied sweetly. "I want to stay with Grandfather, please."

Draco walked over to the pair. "Come now, Thuban. You should be in bed." He started to take the boy from Lucius' arms. The older wizard released his grip, but Thuban held tight and screamed in anguish.

"I want to stay with Grandfather!"

As the little wizard lost his grip, he tried digging his fingernails into the flesh of his grandfather's neck to remain attached to the older wizard. His actions and cries caused Lucius to say softly.

"Come now, Thuban. Everything will be fine soon. Please go with your father. I love you."

"I love you. I love you," Thuban screamed as Draco finally removed the child, they quickly Disapparated along with Ginny.

Narcissa walked over to her husband and looked at the deep scratches on his neck. He moved her wand hand away when she went to heal them.

"Lucius, they need to be healed."

"No, dearest. I've earned this pain. My actions caused Thuban's despair."

She embraced him, which he returned. He looked into her eyes. "Will you stay the night please, Narcissa?"

"I will stay as long as you wish, Lucius."