Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Author's note: As my friend read this chapter, she looked up at me and said, "Someone as evil as Lucius Malfoy can't be so loving. He is totally out of character." I decided to share my response to her with all of my readers.

In the books, we mainly see Lucius interacting with wizards he dislikes. We see him interact with Draco a little and he appears to be a strict but doting father. The mere fact that he has the boy with him shows love. In addition, it appears that he talks to Draco daily. The boy talks about his father too much for there not to be love.

As for the statement someone so evil cannot love, I give you this example.

During the 1970's, my neighbor was the most loving person I knew. He showed us how to make snow castles and ice slides. He was our baseball coach and taught many of us how to swim. My parents worked and I was left alone many times. He invited me into his family. I ate breakfast and dinner with them and slept in their guest room many times. His wife wasn't as nice, I had heard her tell him a couple of times that she had too much to do with their own children. Somehow, he always talked her into treating me like one of their own.

Well, twenty years later, I see this man's picture in the newspaper. He was on trial for the murder of three black men in the Mississippi in the 1960's. The story went on to tell how he had been a member of the Klan for over forty years. They knew he had killed more people but they could only prove these three. I base my Lucius on my knowledge of this man.

The Many Woes of Lucius Malfoy

------******-------

Ginny flattened out her dress in the front. She smiled in the mirror at her now flat tummy. "That didn't take long. You can't tell I had a baby a month ago."

"You look wonderful, deary," her mirror replied.

"I'd say gorgeous," Draco added in a deep, desire-filled voice as he leaned against her dressing room door-frame.

There was a knock on the bedchamber door. "I'm here, Mummy."

"Come on in, Thuban," she replied as she walked past her husband to the bed the boy had climbed up onto, close to the edge. Ginny turned her back to Thuban so he could zip up her dress.

Draco moved to the pair and tried to push the boy away. "That's my job, mate."

Thuban tapped his father's hand and zipped up the dress. "She doesn't need you tonight." Ginny turned around and the little wizard kissed her cheek. "Your dress is elegant, Mummy. You're more beautiful than a goddess."

Draco plucked the boy from the bed, placed him on the floor, and playfully patted his bottom. "Go find your own witch. This one is taken."

Ginny giggled as she watched her son retreat and her husband pulled her into a hug. "The Malfoy charm, how can a witch resist it."

"One can't," he answered before kissing her very passionately. They were breathless when she pulled away. "Dine with me tonight, Ginny."

"I have dinner plans with my friends, so don't make me late. The boys' things are already at the manor. You just need to take them. I'll be dining and then going to the theatre. Because of that lust-potion mishap, I'll have to return to the manor at ten to nurse Leo before I go to the nightclub."

"I thought you'd pumped enough feedings for this week, love."

"I did but I'd like to have an extra one in case. I'd rather go there at ten than be woken at six am because he ate more than expected," she answered.

"Maybe I'll see you at ten. We're going to the new sports pub after dinner."

She smirked at him. Wizards could be so funny. For seven years, she allowed him to have his monthly mates' night out. Now the first time she decided to have a witches' night out on the same night, he wanted to have dinner with her and call it an early night. Well, she wasn't biting. He could come to the Manor at ten but she was returning to the nightclub after Leo was fed.

"Whatever you like, Draco dear." She turned and left the room.

------******------

Draco walked into the formal dining room of Malfoy Manor. He was surprised to see only Lucius sitting at the head of the table. "Where's Mother?" he asked as he placed Serpens and Cam into their chairs. Thuban sat himself.

"Did your wife not inform you? Your mother is dining and attending the play with her."

Draco pulled out the chair his mother normally sat in and sat down. "I'll help you fed the boys."

"I am more than capable of making sure my grandsons are nourished. Don't you have plans?"

"Yes Father, but the boys aren't easy to handle…" Draco started.

Lucius waved his hand at his son dismissively. "Go." The older wizard had never been so insulted in his life. He had controlled troops of twenty and more grown wizards. Why did everyone doubt his ability to handle four little ones? One of whom would likely sleep the whole time.

After Draco left the room, the elves placed the first course, tomato soup, on the table. Thuban sat up straight and gazed at Lucius from time to time. His Grandfather's napkin still sat at the wizard's side. Cam picked out his outer most spoon and placed it in the bowl. Serpens grabbed the spoon closest to his plate, the small desert spoon, and placed it in the bowl. The two younger boys started to eat. Lucius cleared his throat and Cam placed his spoon on the plate under his soup. The sound startled Serpens and he dropped his small spoon into the soup. Without thinking, the toddler placed his hand in the bowl to retrieve the utensil.

"Ouchie! Ouchie! Ouchie!" Serpens cried as he shook his hand spraying the small amount of soup that was on it around the table.

Lucius hurried to the boy's side. "Let me see," he said calmly then placed a soothing charm on the boy's hand. Tears were still flowing down the boy's face, so he placed a number of kisses over it. "Is it better now, little man?" The boy nodded and Lucius went back to his chair. "Now, do not do anything until I instruct you." The boys nodded.

"Cygnus, what was your mistake?" Lucius asked.

"We shouldn't have started to eat until you placed your napkin on your lap," Cam said.

"You're close. After the host, which is Grandfather, places his napkin on his lap, we put ours on our laps. We don't eat until he starts to eat. Plus Serpens used the wrong spoon," Thuban answered politely.

The younger boys made faces at their older brother. "Now. Now. Boys. There is no place for rudeness at my table." Lucius turned to the house elf. "Clean up the mess and get Serpens a new bowl of soup and a spoon." Once the bowl was in place, the blond wizard placed his napkin on his lap, had the boys do the same, and then started eating.

All went well for a short time but when Lucius started to converse with Thuban, Serpens and Cam started playing with their soup instead of eating it. Serpens was bringing his spoon down fast and making the soup splash. Cam was blowing on it making waves. Thuban saw everything his brothers were doing, but when Lucius would turn to look, they always stopped. Thuban gave his brothers a stern look, causing Cam to sneer.

While Lucius was talking with Serpens, Cam whispered, "You're not the boss of me, Thuban. I'll behave however I want."

His voice must have been too loud because Lucius gave him a stern look, "It would do you well to mimic your older brother's behavior this evening, Cygnus. Your grandmother has worked very hard to instruct you in proper table manners. She would be deeply disappointed to learn you weren't using them."

"Yes, Grandfather," he replied and when Lucius turned away, mouthed the words, 'butt kisser', and made kissing motions with his lips at Thuban.

The soup bowls were taken away and a simple garden salad was placed in front of each.

Serpens made a face. "There are red things in my salad. They made me sick. I can't eat them. Tipsy," he called the elf. "Take them away."

His grandfather scowled at him. "What has gotten into you? Those are tomatoes. If you are served something you don't like you may eat around it or simply do not eat it."

"I like the lettuce," the little wizard said. He speared a large piece and tried to place it into his mouth using his fingers along with his fork to cram the food inside.

Lucius rolled his eyes. "You need to cut your salad and never use your fingers," he ordered.

"I can't cut," the little boy started to cry.

"Calm yourself, I'll do it." Lucius stood behind the boy and cut the lettuce into small pieces by mistake he cut a very small sliver of tomato. Before going back to his seat he addressed Cam, "Cygnus, do you need your salad cut too?" The boy nodded. Once completed with the task he returned to his chair. He decided that conversation was not safe this evening. He needed to keep an eye on the boys.

He started to beam after a couple of seconds of peace and quiet. He should have known it wouldn't last for long. Cam whispered in Serpens' ear and the boy started to cry.

Lucius scowled at Cam. "What did you say to him?"

"He put a piece of tomato in his mouth," Cam replied.

The old wizard grimaced. "He wouldn't have known if you hadn't told him."

"Sorry," Cam stated concealing his mirth.

"Red things made me sick," Serpens whined.

"Don't be ridiculous. The soup didn't make you sick did it?" The boy shook his head. "Well, it was made from tomatoes."

"You shouldn't have said that, Grandfather," Thuban whispered giving Lucius a very grave look.

"I'm gonna be sick!" Serpens placed his hand over his mouth. The green color of the child's face set the older wizard into action.

He scooped up the boy and ran from the room.

Cam started to laugh madly. "Oh, that was so funny. Serpens is a silly git. How dumb can one be?"

Glaring at his brother Thuban said, "I'm looking at someone dumber."

"Get off it. That was funny and you know it."

"I'll tell Daddy if you don't start behaving. No, I'll tell Grandmother. Grandfather was right, you know. She will be disappointed in your behavior, Cam."

"She won't care."

"She let's you get away with being bad outside of the dining room but not in it." Thuban smirked.

Cam sneered at his brother. He was right. Narcissa would take a wand to the little wizard's bottom for not using proper table manners. Mistakes she tolerated but being bad on purpose was not allowed.

Lucius returned with Serpens shortly and the main dish was served.

"Grandfather, they will need help with the peas and the meat. You should sit next to them unless you want peas flying around the room," Thuban advised.

Lucius decided to take Thuban's advice and sat between the two boys. He was very grateful that he had. Spearing peas on the end of a fork wasn't easy. He gave up trying to teach them and did it for them after five minutes. How Narcissa and Ginerva managed this task on a regular bases he didn't know. Although he was sure of one thing, even though peas were one of his favorite vegetables, he would never request them when the children were dining with him again.

-------*******-------

Ginny and Narcissa approached the table of six. An older witch stood up and welcomed Narcissa.

"Cissy, it's wonderful to see you. When Pansy told me you would be dining with her tonight, I had to invite myself along," Violet Parkinson cheerfully said. "I'm sure your grandsons are keeping you busy."

"Narcissa has been a great help as always," Ginny stated. "She needs this evening out as much as I."

The women sat down with the other witches, Hermione, Luna, Parvarti Patil, Pansy and Millicent Bulstrode.

"Who's watching the boys, Ginny?" Pansy inquired.

Ginny giggled slightly, "Lucius."

Violet Parkinson smiled, "By himself? You fed them before you left, correct?"

"No, he can manage. It is high time he learned the difficulties of teaching children proper table manners. He gives Ginevra and me little credit for our effort in that area," Narcissa replied.

"Proper table manners!" Millicent softly exclaimed. "I'm been helping Goyle with his children lately. Feeding them is hard enough. I'm always looking for finger food."

"They're not that bad, Millicent," Pansy offered. "Place a warming charm on your plate when it arrives and be patient with them. It didn't take long for Greggy or Gary to get the knack of eating pasta properly."

"It sounds like Greg is having other people watch his children again," Narcissa interjected.

"Not really, Mrs. Malfoy. We only help. He's always there. He is trying to be a better father to his boys. It's sad we can't say the same for Lavender. She is spending most of her time with Adrian and always flooing Greg or his mother to keep the children for her weekend," Millicent added.

The two grandmothers frowned and shook their heads.

Parvarti bounced in her chair a little. "I learned a piece of news before coming to dinner. When I dropped my baby off with my mother, I was surprised to see Padma's children there. It's Vincent's weekend after all. Well after a brief discussion with Kenny, I learned that Vincent does not pick the children up on the weekends anymore."

The witches at the table sighed and "that's so sad" was uttered under a couple of their breaths.

Parvarti smiled. "He doesn't pick them up because he stays at the house with them. In fact according to Kenny, his daddy is spending a lot of nights at the house."

"You're joking!" Pansy said.

"Oh, it gets better. My mother said something about Vincent sleeping on the sofa and Kenny informed her that he slept in his mummy's room and they were always locking the door. My mother isn't happy to hear that but she was rather pleased that they're getting along." Parvarti turned to the direction of Ginny and Pansy. "Patty said her mummy want out on a date tonight so one of you has to ask the guys if Vincent was with them tonight."

Ginny smiled. "I can already tell you the answer. Draco mentioned something about Vincent not coming tonight."

"It would be wonderful for their children if they got back together," Narcissa said. "Pansy dear, how are things progressing between you and Blaise?"

Violet sighed. She hated the fact that her best friend, Narcissa Malfoy, had four grandchildren and she had none. The fact that her daughter had been living with Blaise for three years made the matter worse. Well, at least Narcissa never mentioned that fact the way others did.

"We're not progressing that's our only problem. I've put him on notice. If one more of my friends has a baby before I have an engagement ring, he's out on his backside," Pansy declared.

"Good for you, Pans. They'll string you out forever if you don't put your foot down sometimes," Millicent replied as she looked down at the ring on her left finger. She had been a little more demanding of her live-in boyfriend of many years, Richard, when, two weeks ago, he came home to see his belongings packed in cases and boxes. The silly wizard thought Millicent had found them a better flat at first. Until she clarified that she wanted a husband and children and it was apparent he didn't want the same. She directed him to a flat of his own and didn't see him for three days, at which time he showed up on her doorstep with flowers, candy and a ring.

-------*******-------

Cam whispered in Serpens' ear. The pair giggled and ran off in two different directions on the Manor grounds. Lucius and Thuban had been walking behind the pair on an after dinner stroll around the lake.

Lucius growled and muttered under his breath, "What those two need is my cane across their bottoms." They seemed to know that their grandmother had wagered him that he wouldn't be able to control the three little wizards without spanking them.

"Cygnus! Serpens! Stop!" he ordered, but the boys continued running and giggling. "Do not make me chase you!" he stated firmly as they ran away.

"Grandfather, I'll go after Serpens," Thuban helpful suggested.

"Thank you," Lucius stammered as he ran off.

It didn't take long for Thuban to catch up to Serpens, although he had to tackle his little brother to get him to stop.

"Thuban hurt me! Thuban hurt me!" Serpens screamed as he cried and held his knees. "I'm telling Daddy."

"Good," the older boy spat. "Then I'll tell Daddy I had to tackle you because you wouldn't stop when Grandfather told you. I'll also tell him that you were bad at dinner too." He looked at his little brother's knees, dusted them off, kissed them and helped him up. "Mind you, I don't want to tell Daddy you were bad because it will make him very sad."

"I don't want Daddy to be sad either," Serpens replied.

"Well, when you're bad it makes him very very sad. He asked you to be good, didn't he?" The boy nodded. "And you promised to be good, didn't you?" He nodded again. "Then you broke your promise and that will hurt Daddy's feelings and make him very sad."

The toddler was in tears by this time. "I don't want to hurt Daddy. Don't tell him, Thuban. I'll be very good now."

-------*******-------

Blaise laughed heartily. "Please Malfoy, let me look at one of the boy's memories of this."

Richard walked up to the table. "What's he on about?"

"Draco left all four of his little ones alone with Lucius. He had to feed the toddlers dinner," Greg chuckled.

"That can be exciting! Was Cam in a playful mood?" Richard asked.

"I'm sure he was after I left. I was so upset with the way my father dismissed me I forgot to remind them to behave," Draco smirked.

Miles chuckled into his meade. "Cam won't let that go unnoticed. Nothing against your boys, mate, but they can be a handful."

"A handful… A handful… Cam can be four or five hands full when he's in the mood. I love him to pieces but he takes after the Weasley twins a little too much for my liking," Blaise stated jokingly.

Greg shook his head. "He's like Ginny was in school. She was worse than the twins. They were up front with their pranks. She was sneaky about it."

"She's a handful, my Ginny, wouldn't have her any other way." Draco smirked at his friends.

Blaise ordered another round of meade. "Yep, you need someone to keep you in your place."

"What about you, Zabini? Ready to let Pansy keep you in your place?" The blond wizard raised his brow at his friend.

"As a matter of fact, Malfoy." Blaise removed a photo from his pocket. It showed a ring, in the center was a round brilliant cut pink diamond with a pear shaped white diamond on each side. "I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. I'll give it to her before the ball."

"Well, thanks for telling me, mate. I'll have to go ring shopping now," Miles frowned.

"At least I forewarned you," Blaise patted his friend's back.

------******-------

"It's all the way up into his hair!" Cam made a face in disgust. Serpens held his nose with his thumb and forefinger. Thuban ran a nappy to his grandfather. Lucius rolled up his sleeves and baby Leo cried.

"He's been pooping up his back for the last two days. Mummy does a quick cleaning charm then she bathes him to get the rest off. He'll calm back once he's in the bath, Grandfather. Do you want me to call Tipsy?" Thuban advised in a very helpful tone.

Lucius performed a cleaning charm, placed his wand on the changing table then lifted the babe. "Hush now, Leo. We will get you cleaned up. Thuban, have Tipsy clean the cradle, please."

"Yes, Grandfather."

The older wizard walked into the bathroom with his infant grandson. He rocked the babe in his arm as he started the water flow into Draco's custom-made baby bath. He collected the baby soap and wash cloth, tested the tub water and then gently placed the infant in it. The babe gurgled. "So, you like baths. You father did too," he said in a subdued tone.

"Grandfather, Tipsy is cleaning his bed." Thuban stood on a small stool and watched his grandfather carefully wash his baby brother. Lucius was very much like Draco in this manner. Neither wizard trusted the elves to bathe infants and Lucius had even watched over the elves as they bathed his older grandsons minutes before.

Thuban tried not to stare at the very faint skull and snake tattoo that was on his grandfather's left arm. His daddy's uncles and aunt had the same one, as did Uncle Greg, Aunt Millicent and Uncle Sev. He had asked about it a couple of times but really didn't get a good answer. He was certain the tattoo meant they were in a club. His daddy and mummy got quite upset the last time he talked about it. The little wizard had asked why his father don't have the tattoo. Wasn't his daddy good enough to be in that club? His mummy started to cry and his daddy had sent him to his room. He caught himself staring at the mark and forced himself to look at his brother.

"What do you think, Leo? Should we look to you to run our offices in Spain or should your father and I build more business in Ireland so we can keep you close? Your hair color would serve you well in Ireland. Scotland too," Lucius asked the babe as he bathed him.

"I get to the run the French offices, right? They are our second biggest. When you retire, I'll come back to England and help Daddy," Thuban beamed.

"That's correct, Thuban." Lucius returned his attention back to the baby. "Would you like to run a caldron company or a broom company? Maybe we should start a potion research company for you?"

The babe gurgled and wiggled. Lucius smiled at his eldest grandson. "I believe that was a 'yes' for potion research."

"We don't do that now. Strange isn't it with our all being so good with them," Thuban said.

"Good show, Leo. Potion research it is! What an outstanding idea. We'll start your father on that task Monday morning," Lucius said as he sponged off the infant completing his bath. He looked for his wand but could not find it. "Thuban, hand me a towel, please."

"What about the warming charm?" he asked as Lucius wrapped the baby.

"I left my wand on the changing table."

"I'll go get it." Thuban scampered off into the other room but quickly came back. "It's not there, Grandfather. Serpens and Cam aren't in there either."

Lucius swiftly walked into the nursery and placed Leo in his crib. "Thuban, watch your brother for me." The little wizard nodded and Lucius rushed out of the room.

It didn't take him long to locate the two younger boys. Laughter was coming from Cam's bedchambers.

"Make his fur brown again, Cam," Serpens giggled just before Lucius kicked opened the door.

Startled, Cam directed the spell he was casting at the doorway, where his grandfather now stood hitting the top of his head. The two little wizards stared wide eyed at the once blond wizard in front of them.

"My wand, Cygnus," he ordered. "What spell was I hit with?"

"Color changing," Cam whimpered. "I'm sorry."

"You shouldn't have taken my wand. I will be discussing this matter with your father, now, into bed with you."

Cam crawled into his bed. Lucius tucked the covers around the little wizard, placed a warming charm on them then kissed the child. "I love you, Cygnus. Sleep well." The now brown haired wizard offered his hand to Serpens, who took it and they started out of the room.

"Grandfather, what about a story?" Cam asked.

"Wizard's who misbehave are not rewarded with stories."

Lucius walked to the next room and tucked in Serpens. Once again, he tucked the covers around the little boy, placed a warming charm on them then kissed him goodnight. "I love you, Serpens. You know you should inform an adult when a child is playing with a wand, correct?"

"Yes, Grandfather. We could get hurt."

"Yes, you could. I'm putting you to bed early because you misbehaved. Sleep well, little man." Lucius kissed the boy's forehead again when Thuban hurried into the room.

"Grandfather, Leo needs you. He's crying," the older boy said and then really looked at his grandfather. "What happened to your hair? It's dark brown."

"Cam did it. That's why we're in bed," Serpens said.

"Oh, are you going to change it back, Grandfather? I don't think Grandmother will like it."

Lucius growled under his breath. Of course he was going to change it back but he would need to check a spell book first. On the other hand, he might merely wait for his wife. She was brilliant with hair and glamour charms.

"Come Thuban," he said. "Let us see what Leo's problem is."

------******------

Lucius paced in the nursery's sitting room with a nightgown clad Leo crying into his chest. Thuban in his pajamas walked next to him.

"He's never cried like this before. I don't know what else to have you try." Thuban sat down on the settee and rested his chin into his hands, in moments he was smiling. "Grandfather, when Serpens cried look this Daddy would start a fire, lay in front, put Serpens on his chest with his eyes facing the fire and talk softly to him."

After forty-five minutes of crying Lucius was willing to try anything. He lay on the floor with the baby on his chest but it didn't seem to help.

"Put his head right underneath your chin, so his head is on your throat. Now talk softly," Thuban advised.

"And what should I talk about Thuban. Is there a special topic that your…" The babe started to quiet. "Well, I'll be. He does like this."

"I think humming works too." Thuban laid down on the other side of his grandfather. Lucius started to hum and the baby remained quiet.

After a few minutes Lucius spoke, "Thank you for your aid this evening, Thuban."

"You're welcome, Grandfather." Thuban touched the skull and snake tattoo. "Grandfather, why do you have this?"

Lucius' face hardened. "It's a personal matter, Thuban."

The little wizard looked lovingly into the eyes of the older one. "Grandfather, if it's something bad. I'll still love you."

Lucius hugged the boy close and kissed his forehead. "I love you and I always will. When you are older I will explain that mark to you."

------******------

Ginny and Narcissa Apparated into the nursery at the Manor. Draco Apparated in moments later. Ginny turned and smiled at him. "I thought you wanted a night out with your mates?"

"I did. However I have something to tell you."

"So, out with it," Ginny said.

"Mother, Ginevra, you must promise to tell no one, especially not your best friend, Mother."

Narcissa smiled and fidgeted with great excitement before blurting up, "Blaise bought Pansy any engagement ring!"

Draco couldn't help but chuckle at his mother. Engagements, weddings, pregnancies and births always brought out the child in her. "He's asking her before the ball, so keep it to yourself."

"Violet had talked about Blaise's unwillingness to get married at dinner tonight. She will be so pleased. I hope we are at their table tomorrow night." She walked to the door. "Come along, your father must be around with the baby somewhere."

They walked through the door and were stunned at the sight before them. A tall, dark brown haired man was lying on the sitting room rug with Leo on his chest and a sleeping Thuban hugged close to his left side. Narcissa gasped. Draco and Ginny drew their wands as the man turned his head to look at them.

"Cissy, hush. Thuban is asleep," Lucius said.

Narcissa approached the man, "Lucius?" she questioned not believing her eyes.

"Draco. Ginevra. Sheath your wands, please. What's wrong? Why are you staring?" he asked.

"Your hair!" Ginny pointed.

The dark brown haired wizard grinned. "Cygnus did it. You really need to come up with a punishment that will stop his wand theft, Draco. It was harmless this time but it does show that he's careless enough to use the wand on others." The babe on his chest moved. "It appears Leo is ready to eat."

Draco picked the baby up and handed him to Ginny, who walked into the nursery. He came back to his father and lifted Thuban into his arms resting the boy against his chest. "I'll put Thuban in bed. Goodnight, Mother, Father."

As he started away, the little wizard whined, "Daddy, I want Grandfather to tuck me in."

-------******-------

Ginny walked into the newest wizarding nightclub wearing her favorite little black dress. She had a feeling her husband was going to show up at the club sometime that evening and she wanted to look her sexiest for him. This would be a fun little game. She had told him while she was feeding Leo that he could come to the nightclub if he liked but he wouldn't be sitting at the same table as her and her friends. This was their witches' night out, after all.

Hermione, Luna, Pansy, and Millicent waved to her from across the room. As she walked, someone pulled onto her arm.

"Sexy!" Daniel Jones said. "I knew it. I felt it. The first time I held you close. What an insane husband you have! If you were mine I'd wear you on my arm everywhere I went."

Ginny pulled away from him. "I'm not interested. If you touch me again…"

Preston, an extremely tall man, stepped up next to her. "Is there a problem, Mrs. Malfoy?"

"Yes, Preston, this is the man I discussed with you."

"I'll…"

Greg Goyle walked over to the group. He kissed Ginny on the cheek. "It's wonderful to see you, Gin. I'm guessing you're the reason Draco wanted to come here. Are these gentlemen bothering you?"

"Just this cad was." She pointed at Daniel. "My friend, Preston, was about to show him out."

"I'd be honored to help Preston with that task," Greg said with a smile.

"Where's Draco?" she asked.

"He's not here yet, Ginny. Granger and Pansy are coming this way."

She turned to see her friends. Greg took Daniel by his left arm, Preston took him by the right and they walked him to the door.

"Is that the git who's been hitting on you, Ginny?" Hermione asked. She nodded still watching the wizards.

"To bad he's a prat. I think he looks your type, Hermione," Pansy said.

Hermione furrowed her brow at the dark haired witch. "Parkinson, you've been trying to set me up all night. Stop it."

"Oh Merlin! I've got to go," Ginny started for the door where Greg, Daniel, Preston, Blaise, and Draco now stood. The other two witches followed.

"If I see you within one hundred meters of my wife again..." Draco hissed in a low and dangerous tone before being interrupted by someone pulling on his arm.

"I love this song. Dance with me," Ginny pleaded.

"I'm busy," he replied.

She pulled again. "You made a promise to me last night. Please dance with me." She caressed his face and whispered in his ear. "I'll make it worth your while. I have your favorite knickers on."

He kissed her cheek and placed his arm around her waist. "Preston, show the man out." He led Ginny to the dance floor.

"So, Mr. Jones. You are the git that keeps bothering our Ginbug. He left because he promised his wife he wouldn't do anything illegal to you. Didn't let that make you feel safe, for none of us have made that promise. I assure you, each of us knows how to torture, kill and dispose of bodies," Blaise said with a devilish smirk. "Ah! Pans. Hermione," he said cheerfully before wrapping an arm around each witch. "Let me buy you beautiful ladies a drink while Greg shows the gentleman out."

------******-------

Ginny eyed the blonde server who was working the guys' table. She had touched Draco's hair a number of times and was making sure to wiggle in front of him and and had even rubbed up against him a couple of times. Ginny saw Draco flash his wedding ring at the wench a number of times but the blonde appeared not to be taking 'no' for an answer.

Hermione and Pansy had both warned the witch, 'watch who you touch', but she laughed at them. Draco had danced with Ginny a number of times, invited her over to his table and offered to sit at hers. She refused, saying everything would be fine as long as he kept his hands to himself.

The red-hair witch relaxed a little as the server approached the guys' table. Draco wasn't around this time for the blonde to manhandle. Out of the corner of her eye, Ginny saw him approaching the table. As the server walked by him, she grabbed his arse. Ginny shot up from the table and drew her wand.

"Ginny, what's the problem?" Pansy asked.

"That slut groped my husband's arse!"

Ginny ran towards the server. Hermione and Luna ran after her. Pansy and Millicent ran for the guys' table.

"Malfoy!" Pansy yelled. "Ginny! Stop her!" She pointed to the redheaded witch who was only a step away from the blonde server.

Draco started after his wife. "Ginny, NO!" he screamed.

She placed her hand on the blonde's shoulder and turned her around. "You were warned, bitch! That's my husband you touched."

"Sweetie, if my husband looked like that I wouldn't be sitting at a different table. I'll touch whomever I like," the blonde hissed at Ginny.

"You think so!" Ginny raised her wand and cast a spell.

The blonde sneezed and giant bat-boogies came out of her nose and attacked her.

"Ginny!" Draco hissed as he placed his hand over hers and lowered her wand.

"What, sweetheart? I was only protecting what is mine." Ginny squeezed his bottom.

"I can't believe you, Ginny," Hermione said with disgust. "You're as bad as Ron at times."

"Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy, I'm sorry about this but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Wand use is prohibited in the building," the manager said.

"Well, groping the customers should be grounds for termination," Ginny spat.

"I'll look into that, Madame." The manager bowed and left.

"Hermione, let everyone know we're fine and we went home," Draco said. "Come on, Ginny." They headed for the door.

Blaise sat down and pulled Pansy on his lap. "I think you should stay here. The wench was eyeing you, too."

Greg watched the blonde server try to run from her boogies. "Damn, Ginny keeps getting better with that hex."

------******------

The blonde server walked up to Daniel Jones. She handed him a small glass tube that contained a number of white blond hairs. "I was going to have my friend use these. A little game we play, you know. I get to sleep with a different man every night while remaining faithful. However, that bitch deserves this. I hope you trick her good."

------******-------

Draco and Ginny walked in front of Malfoy International.

"How long will you be?" Ginny huffed.

He looked into her eyes and gave her a pleading stare. "Please don't be that way, Love. It will be an hour at the most. We're leaving for France tomorrow at ten. I have to make sure everything is in order for my meeting Monday morning. Why don't you head to the toyshop? I'll meet you there." He kissed her and walked into the building.

Ginny continued down the street as a tall man in a hooded cloak watched her. He had been listening closely to the couple's conversation.

------******-------

Cam and Serpens stood outside the fenced paddock that contained the new jumping pony. Thuban sat on top of the fence watching his grandfather set up a couple of jumps. Lucius looked around the area.

"Thuban, I've forgotten the lead. Will you please retrieve it?"

"Yes, Grandfather," he said before climbing down from the fence and skipping about the ground. Serpens ran after his older brother. They had been at the paddock farthest from the stables. They had to walk through a small wooded area before they could see the building. As the building came into sight, Thuban decided to take a short cut through the small paddock next to it. Lucius and Draco had told the boys many times to never walk through the paddocks unless they were with an adult. However, in his excitement, Thuban decided to chance it.

He told Serpens to wait for him, climbed over the fence and ran for the stables. The small boy was only a short distance into the paddock when the sound of hooves caught his attention. His Grandfather's prized stallion, Zenith, was aggressively heading for him. He turned and ran for the closest fence. Serpens screamed repeatedly as the horse neared his brother.

The blood curdling screams of the toddler rung throughout the grounds of the old Manor. Somehow, in his terror he had invoked his magic increasing the volume. Narcissa was in her parlor when she heard it. She managed to control her panic, collected her wand and Apparated to the stables. Lucius had gathered Cam into his arm and Apparated also.

When they arrived, Thuban was climbing the fence and the horse used its head on the boy's bottom knocking him up and over the fence. Narcissa quickly conjured cushions for the boy to land on and Lucius slowed the rate of his fall. They swiftly went to the boy.

"Thuban sweetheart, are you all right?" Narcissa stammered as she ran her wand over him and found no injuries. She helped him to his feet, lovingly brushed him off and hugged him. "Thank Merlin, you're fine."

The little wizard rubbed his bottom. "My behind hurts some."

The witch ran her wand over the boy again. Once she was sure that the little boy only possessed a tender backside, she scowled at him. "If I see or hear of you walking across a paddock again your behind will hurt more than some. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, Grandmother."

"You march yourself into your bedchamber this minute. Tipsy will come for you when your parents return," she firmly ordered.

The little wizard ran at top speed for the house before his grandfather could scowl at him too.

Narcissa turned to her other grandsons. In the course of making sure Thuban was fine and hadn't noticed Serpens was still crying. Cam was trying to comfort his little brother. She scooped the toddler up into her arms. "There. There. Serpens. Thuban is fine."

"I thought horse would kill him. He's a mean horse," the toddler was barely able to string the words together and he continued to cry on her shoulder.

Lucius patted the boy's back and looked sorrowfully into his wife's eyes. "Zenith will go to the Manchester stables immediately. I will no longer house stallions at our home stables."

She nodded gratefully at him and returned her attention to the boy. "Would you like some ice cream, Serpens? I'm sure your grandfather would be happy to run to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor and retrieve any flavor you like."

------******-------

Ginny stopped in front of Madam Malkin's and turned to her husband. She folded her arms and tapped her left foot. "Draco, I'm not going anywhere until you explain your strange behavior. First, you told me you're going to be an hour in the office and ten minutes later you're in the toy shop. Then you say that you're hungry and you want lunch and we start walking this way. There's no place to eat up here."

"Yes, there is the Leaky Cauldron," he said.

"The Leaky Cauldron?" she looked perplexed. Draco would never take her to the Leaky Cauldron.

"What did you pay Thuban last weekend?" Ginny questioned.

The impostor Draco chuckled, grabbed her wrist and showed Ginny that he had her wand. "You're a smart one but not smart enough. I have a job to do and I plan on doing it." He placed a spell on her.

"Now be a good witch and come along." She was able to fight the curse enough to slow down their pace. "Come now, my love, I only need a couple of photos of us in a moment of intimacy. You may even enjoy yourself.

"NO!" Ginny shouted before the curse took hold of her again.

Upon walking out of Ice Cream Parlor, Lucius heard his daughter-in-law's voice shouting in fear. He looked around and saw her with his son across the street. Ginevra was walking strangely, as she followed Draco and her eyes were very fearful of the blond wizard. Something was not right. He hastily approached the couple.

Lucius looked at the witch then hissed at man in front of him, "Who are you?"

"Why, Father…."

"You are not my son. Draco could perform a proper Imperius Curse at sixteen."

"Very well, I'm your servant, Mr. Malfoy. In the process of getting the photos you have ordered," said the imposter.

"I didn't order this. I wished to see if she was faithful to my son." Lucius drew his wand. "Remove the curse or I will kill you."

The Polyjuice started to wear off and the wizard dropped both wands. Ginny was able to break free of his curse and collected her wand. She looked at the wizard after the polyjuice had worn off. It was Daniel Jones.

She pointed her wand at her father-in-law. "You sick bastard. You sent him."

"I didn't send him to do this…"

"Shut up! If you even come near me or my children again, I will kill you!" She lifted her wand and Disapparated.

Lucius took the man's wand and forcefully pulled him to his feet. "Come, I will hand you over to my son."

--------********--------

Ginny rushed her children to the floo at Malfoy Manor. Narcissa was right behind her. "Ginevra please explain this to me."

"Tipsy. Nan. Help the children floo to Black Hall. I will be there shortly." She turned to her mother-in-law. "I'm so sorry, Narcissa, but I can't have my children around Lucius. You are welcome in my home anytime but he is not. The children will no longer come to the Manor."

"What has he done, Ginevra?" the older witch asked.

--------********--------

"I turned him over to the Aurors, Father. There is still a large price to pay for using an unforgivable. He's claiming you paid him," Draco bit his lower lip trying to hold back his anger.

"I employed him to verify your wife's fidelity not to trick her into an affair. I merely needed to be certain she loved you," Lucius stated. "I will remind you that it was I who stopped him."

"If you hadn't to have happened by he would have raped my wife," Draco raged. "Bloody hell, Father, you do realize that. I was lucky, she was lucky and you were lucky. It's good we're leaving for France tomorrow. Hell, I think we'll leave today."

"Calm yourself, Draco. All is well. Ginevra is fine and she has proven her love for you. She is truly a member of the Malfoy family now."

"You're mad!" He glazed at his father. "All is not bloody well. My own father put my wife in danger."

Narcissa burst through the door of Draco's office and rounded on her husband who was sitting in a winged back chair. "Is it true? Did you hire that man?" she spat.

"Calm yourself, Cissy."

"DID YOU HIRE THAT MAN?" she snarled emphasizing each word.

"Yes," he said. "Let me..." She Disapparated before he could finish. He turned to his son. "Your mother has always had a temper. I will speak with her once she calms down."

"I wouldn't count on that, Father. As for my family and I, we will be going to France for the week. I will be discussing this matter with Ginevra. I will tell you now, you old fool, the best you can hope for is that I will continue to work in these offices and you will be allowed to watch your grandsons grow up from afar." The young wizard lifted his wand and Disapparated.

Draco Apparated into the foyer of Black Hall not noticing Thuban's little hands gripping the rails on the first floor landing. The sobbing of two witches came from the parlor off the foyer. Narcissa and Ginny sat hugging each other. Three of his mother's large traveling trunks sat of to the side of the room. The older witch looked up when she saw her son and motioned for him.

"You're safe now, Ginevra," she repeated as she patted the young witch's back.

"Mother?" Draco whispered.

"She'll be fine, darling. She's had a very dramatic day. She merely needs to be comforted through a good cry." She patted the empty seat behind her and he sat down. She slowly moved away from Ginny and handed her off to Draco.

"I'll check on the children," Narcissa said and Draco nodded.

Hearing his grandmother, Thuban ran to his room. He didn't understand everything that was said but he heard enough to know his grandfather had hurt his mother. He sat down and wrote a quick note. He gave the note to his father's owl and ran off looking for his grandmother. He caught up with her outside of his parents' chambers. She sent him to Tipsy and directed the elf to assist the children in washing up for lunch. He tried to watch as his father came out of the room.

"How is she?" Narcissa asked.

"Sleeping, she'll be fine."

The blonde witch started to break down. "I am so sorry, Draco. I had no idea what he was doing. I would have..."

He ran to his mother and collected her into his arms. "I know, Mother. He betrayed both of us. Where do you plan on going?"

"The country house, maybe the London flat. I haven't thought."

"He will look for you." He lifted her chin and kissed her forehead. "My family is leaving for the Villa in France after lunch. Come with us. Ginny will love the company and the help with the boys. If you do not wish to return to Father after the trip, you can stay in our guest house until a more suitable place can be found."

"Only if Ginevra agrees, Draco."

He smiled at his mother. "She will."

--------********--------

Lucius stood at the top of the staircase. "Her clothing and personal items are gone. Who helped her pack and where did she go?" he hissed at the house elves below.

"Master, no one helped her. She be silent. We only hear her leave. She go to Master Draco's."

"Damn it!" he screamed.

Draco's owl flew by and dropped a letter at his feet. The bird didn't wait. It flew away instantly. Lucius grabbed the letter in hopes it was from Narcissa. The handwriting was Thuban's. He ripped open the envelope and removed the letter.

Grandfather:

WHY? You've broken my heart. WHY?

Thuban

PS: I wanted to send you a howler but I didn't know how!

Draco was right. He was a fool! Narcissa told him not to interfere. His son had told him the same. However, he had to be in control and what did it get him? An empty house! He looked down at his watch.

Noon, I would be eating lunch with my grandsons if I hadn't hired that man, he thought. He saw the ice cream he had bought for the children on the table by the door. He placed a cooling charm on it. "Take that to Black Hall, Serpens will be waiting for it," he ordered and an elf disappeared with it.

"I saved Ginevra. They will see that when they calm down. I have hope. I will always have hope." He continued to mumble as he walked down the stairs and to the bottle of fire whiskey in his study.