Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Warning: This chapter contains a character's death.

Going After What Is Mine

------------------***************---------------

Bella hissed at the Dark Wizard in the fireplace. "What do you mean they went to Bulgaria? What did they find?"

"They found nothing. They came into the country and left in two days. No one at the prison or Ministry gave them any information," the wizard replied. "I do have some bad news. Draco knows the Vanishing Cabinets were used. His wife spent a day looking up the documentation about them. She found nothing. However, they know the cabinet is no longer at Lestrange Manor."

"Have you spoken with Fudge?" Bella inquired.

"Just today, they can't trace the cabinet to him. Although they know someone in the Ministry must have helped with the kidnapping."

Bellatrix paced her study for a time then turned to the fireplace with a smirk. "Rookwood's daughter… Michelle, I believe, works in the department that handled the cabinet. Make her disappear then frame her for the kidnapping. Rabastan and she dated recently. Say that she broke into Lestrange Manor and stole the cabinet."

She sat down at the desk. "I'll work out the details and send them to you."

------------------***************---------------

"I'm taking Ginny and the boys to the States with me, Father," Draco stated. "I'm sure our being there will speed the Americans along in assisting us."

"It would be better if I were to accompany you, not your wife and children," Lucius snapped.

"Lucius Abraxas Malfoy, you will do as our son has requested!" Narcissa raged. "Draco is correct. Ginevra's presence is likely to move the American Ministry into action. Wizards can't say 'no' to a mother looking for her child."

"Narcissa," Lucius warned.

"Father, please. I need you to stay here. Bella still has spies watching the happenings in London. We must make her think that I've taken my family into hiding to protect them. Her spies cannot learn that we've gotten the truth out of Fudge. You must stay here to make sure that Kingsley's impersonation of him fools everyone."

Lucius sat down in his chair in defeat, "I'll stay for now."

"Thank you, Father. Now, the boys are waiting in the parlor to say goodbye."

They walked out of Lucius' study. The former Death Eater hated the idea of sitting back and waiting. He was a wizard of action after all. This was his son's family and Draco's plans wouldn't harm Cygnus, so Lucius decided he'd give Draco a week. If the American Ministry wasn't actively helping to retrieve his grandson by then, he would go to the States himself.

After saying their good-bye's, the young Malfoy family portkeyed into the American Wizarding Government building. Draco knew he wouldn't be able to get into the Mauvais compound and rescue his son on his own and hoped that by being in the States, he could get their government to move quicker in their retrieval of the boys. Once they landed, Draco approached the desk saying, "Malfoy party of si… five."

The witch on duty smiled, "Of course, Mr. Malfoy, we wish your visit to our country were under better circumstances." She paused and then continued, "It's currently ten fifteen our time and Mr. Knight will meet you in room 254 at two o'clock. " She handed him a piece of paper, "Your luggage has already been delivered to your Muggle hotel. Once you have checked in, you may use this portkey to transport yourself to the entrance of this building or you may Apparate. Welcome to the United States and our lovely city."

The area of the Ministry they had portkeyed into was close to an exit and once outside they were in a wizarding shopping area. Down the block was a hospital and, unlike London, all the wizarding buildings appeared to be in this one central area. Draco removed the double pushchair from his pocket and enlarged it. Ginny placed a sleeping Leo in the back and Draco placed Serpens in the front. Thuban wasted no time in quickly taking hold of the side of the pushchair finding that much better than being made to hold his daddy's hand.

They found a restaurant at the end of the street and once inside removed their robes to reveal their Muggle clothing, walking out the opposite door into the Muggle streets. It was a beautiful fall day. Thuban was surprised by the number of people walking around at that hour of the afternoon and judged by the number of Muggles with cameras that this had to be a popular vacation spot. The little wizard listened closely as a Muggle woman he passed spoke to a group of children.

"Philadelphia is the fifth most populous city in the United States. It's one of the oldest and most historically significant cities having been the first capital and most populous city of the United States during part of the eighteenth century. At that time, it eclipsed Boston and New York City in political and social importance, with Benjamin Franklin taking a large role in Philadelphia's rise. The city was the ideas and activities that gave birth to the American Revolution and subsequent American democracy and independence. We'll be having a picnic lunch in Independence National Historical Park and then go to Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed. After that we'll go see the Liberty Bell."

Thuban turned to his father, "Is this really an important city, Daddy?"

Draco turned his nose up, "For Muggles, perhaps."

Ginny rolled her eyes at the stuck up wizard she loved and then told Thuban, "For the Muggles of the United States it was very important. What they did here many years ago created their country."

"There was nothing wrong with British rule," Draco hissed.

"Spoken like a true aristocratic land owner," she giggled.

"It was disloyal aristocratic land owners who started that civil uprising, my love."

The redhead smirked, "So you do know Muggle history?"

"Their wars and stupidity do affect us," the blond wizard replied in a slightly annoyed tone.

The little boy grinned as he turned his face away from his parents. It had been a long time since they had bickered about social issues. Their bantering gave him a sense of security. It was the first time since Cam's kidnapping that his parents seemed to be their normal selves. He glanced back and saw his father's left hand still resting on top of his mother's. Draco still had his right arm around Ginny's waist holding her close as they tossed their differing beliefs and points of view back and forth.

Thuban had heard his grandma telling his uncles that losing Cam would either draw his parents closer, binding them for life, or it would divide, separating them forever, and now he was sure that the kidnapping had cemented the bond between them; neither faulted the other for what had happened. They worked together, loving and drawing strength from each other. For the first time in weeks, Thuban felt his family would make it no matter what happened next.

With his immediate fears allayed, Thuban turned his attention to the shop windows they were walking passed. When a giant toy Ferris wheel made with something called K'nex caught his eye, he let go of the pushchair and went to the window. He watched the Ferris wheel move looking closely for the thing called a motor which Muggles used to move things. He finally thought he spotted it and was getting a closer look when he heard his mother's tense call.

"Thuban!"

His little feet carried him swiftly back to her side where he reassured her, "I'm right here, Mummy. Sorry." He accompanied his apology with his most charming smile in hope that she would forgive his momentary mistake and his ploy would have worked if it hadn't been for his father.

Draco held out his hand and called for the boy. Thuban knew what that meant. He walked over to his father and took hold of his hand. With a whispered charm from Draco their hands were magically connected. The boy sighed loudly.

"You have no one to blame but yourself. We can't have you getting lost," his father said tenderly.

"Sorry, Daddy." Thuban looked back at the shop. His father didn't seem upset so he took the chance. "Daddy, they have really nice building toys. May we please go back and see them after your meeting this afternoon? Please?"

----------**********----------

"We have to be quiet, son. Mummy's napping," Draco whispered.

Thuban nodded. His mummy may have needed a nap but that wasn't why his father wanted him to be quiet. For the last three weeks, the blond wizard had been teaching his eldest son to use a wand. He had it all worked out - if Ginny were to find out, he planned to tell her that it was for the boy's protection. Merlin knew it was the truth, but he preferred her not to find out about the training.

There was a knock at the door and without thinking Thuban magically opened it. Draco took the wand from the boy and placed it in his pocket.

"You don't need to hide what you're doing from me, Draco. Children are allowed to use magic here under parental supervision. It's only illegal to use in front of Muggles."

Draco stared at the gorgeous redhead, "It's nice to see you, Kelly. Come in."

The witch closed the door behind her and approached the two wizards. She knelt in front of the little boy, "Hello, I'm Mrs. Fletcher. I'm an old friend of your father's. You must be Thuban."

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Fletcher."

Draco smirked. "So you married Jeff?"

"About four years ago. You're looking good." Kelly walked forward and hugged her old friend as Ginny came out of the bedroom with Serpens. She released Draco and went to greet the English witch, "You must be Ginevra. I'm so sorry about your son. I'm a friend of Draco's. They forgot to give this folder to you when you arrived. My father wants you to review it before your meeting and I also wanted you to know that if you need anything, please feel free to Floo me." She paused and turned to Serpens, "My son, Brendan, is around your age, maybe you can come and play."

Looking at her watch, Kelly said, "Floo me, if you have time or if you need anything. I really must be going." She quickly moved to the door and left.

Ginny looked at the folder, the door and then Draco who chuckled and explained, "Her father is in charge of tracking and apprehending Dark Wizards. She must have been very busy, most of the time she lets others talk."

The couple walked over to the sofa and sat. "Let's see what's in here," Ginny said, "then I'll check and see if Remus and Dora have checked in.

------------------***************---------------

The Lupins sat in an office at American Ministry of Magic where an official told them, "We've been watching the Mauvais compound for some time. The wards there nullify all magical disguises, even those of Animagi and Metamorphmagi. You must show your true self before being allowed inside."

"So the Lestranges would know we were coming," Remus looked at his wife and collected her into his arms after speaking.

"That's correct, Mr. Lupin. Your best chance is to speak to the Dark Wizards Department. They may have spies inside who can help."

The couple said their thanks and headed down the hallway. "It looks like Malfoy's way is the only way," Tonks said.

"Let's get back to the hotel. Molly and Arthur should be there by now."

------------------***************---------------

Draco, Ginny, Remus and Dora walked into a room with five other wizards. Draco walked over and shook the hand of Steven Knight.

"Mr. Knight, it's a pleasure seeing you again. This is my wife, Ginny."

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Malfoy. I only wish the situation were a pleasant one," Steven stated. "Please have a seat."

A tall black wizard was the first to speak, "Steven, I believe you should get proof of parental rights before proceeding. According to our agents in the field, the boys in question believe the Lestranges to be their parents."

An Asian wizard added, "The Lestranges provided birth certification for the boys. In addition, another agent has seen photographs of the family since the boys were infants."

Yet a third wizard added to the cacophony, "We've spent three years and thousands of galleons working our way into the compound. The boys are in no danger. Why are we risking our agents?"

"Gentlemen, let's take this one matter at a time," Steven interjected. "First, Gus, I got the records from England myself this morning. I've also spoken with Mr. Malfoy's other children and Mr. Lupin's children. The boys the Lestranges have belong to the Malfoys and the Lupins. They must be under a magical spell." He looked at the second wizard and said, "Ken, I also checked the birth records in Paris. There were no children born to the Lestranges." Steven then addressed the third man, "Jake, how can you say the children are in no danger? Kidnapping is one of the worst crimes. Do we want others to think they can take our magical children and hide them away?"

"If you are worried about the galleons, sir, I've got access to one million in the States. If more is needed…" Draco started.

"Money isn't the problem," Steven interrupted, "it's getting the children without comprising our agents. The Mauvais don't know we are inside. If we have our agents bring the children out, we may not be able to get new agents back inside."

The oldest wizard in the room looked at the witches, "Do not worry, ladies, we are working on a plan. There has to be some way of getting the Lestranges to bring the children out of the compound."

A tall black haired man with a dark tan walked into the room and said, "I'm sorry for being late. I couldn't break away."

"It's alright, Frank," Steven said, "Frank is one of our agents in the compound," he told the group before him.

The new wizard nodded at the witches and smiled. "I spoke with your boys only minutes ago. They are fine. Cygnus is a handful. The boy's magical abilities are outstanding. Cepheus always wants to be on the go, ready for one adventure after another. Their personalities are as were described to me," he paused. "Rodolphus has befriended me but Bellatrix is not so trusting. She has a Daily Prophet delivered from London every day. Plus she gets one or two owls from there."

"Do they ever leave the compound with the boys?" Jake asked.

"No, and one of them is always close to the boys. Everything they need is in the compound. There is no reason for them to leave."

Remus raised his brow. "How large is this compound? Is it the size of a city? Are there mountains and forests? Few or numerous places to explore?"

Another wizard walked in the room and handed Steven Knight a parchment then left. Mr. Knight started to review his note.

"It's about five miles by three miles. It's dead boring after being there for two or three weeks." Frank stared at English wizard. "What are you thinking?"

Remus grinned. "You said yourself that John 'Cepheus' enjoys adventures. That is what Bellatrix promised him. My son is thrilled to go on trips."

Tonks smiled. "He saw a brochure about a holiday spot in Spain last year. I heard about it daily for seven months."

Frank rubbed his chin. "You may have something there. The boys believe next week is their birthday. The Lestranges spoil them. Maybe, if I tell the boys about my trip to the Hawaiian island of Kauai, Cepheus will convince Bellatrix to take them."

"We'd have to sway her into believing that no one is looking for them. She has spies in London and likely other places," Draco added.

Steven smiled at Draco and pointing to the parchment in his hand said, "Your aunt has just given us a solution." Everyone looked at him and he continued, "This is a message from Lucius. It appears Bellatrix set up Michelle Rookwood to take the fall for the kidnapping. Lucius received an owl from the young witch today saying she has the boys. Why don't we take a dinner break while I arrange a Floo call with Lucius."

------------------***************---------------

Thuban and Arthur looked at the electric plug in the older wizard's hand.

"They're different from the ones in Europe. Strange!" Thuban said puzzled.

"I've heard that Muggles use varying types of eckeltricity in different countries." Arthur handed the plug to his grandson and walked around the room looking at other Muggle items with great fascination. The little wizard in the meantime decided to put the plug back in the socket. He didn't do it right and a blue spark jumped out of the socket and hit the boy's hand.

"Ouch!" Thuban screamed rubbing his hand. "The plug hexed!"

Molly rushed to the little boy, "Let me see, dear." She ran her wand over his hand then kissed it. "Does it feel better, sweetie?" He nodded. "Come now, I think it's best if you don't play with plugs and eckeltricity."

Arthur checked on the boy. "The Muggles call it a shock. I wonder why your rooms do not have a telly. There is one in ours."

"Daddy made them and the wireless small then put them away somewhere. He said they play ill mortal programs." Thuban looked up at his Grandpa, "What's that mean?"

"I'm sure your father said immoral, which means it shows people behaving poorly."

The little wizard flopped onto the sofa and spouted, "This place bores me rigid!"

The stout witch handed him his speller, "Then you should be glad to do your spelling."

He turned his lip up making a face at her after she turned away.

"You'd better stop making faces and move to the desk, young man," she directed without facing him.

He moved slowly from the sofa, eyeing the clock as he sauntered across the floor. If he took long enough maybe his parents would come back and he would not have to do his work. As he placed the speller on the desk, the front door opened and he ran to his parents.

"Daddy, Mummy, I missed you!"

"Daddy! Daddy!" screamed Serpens as he opened his bedroom door. He rubbed his eyes and walked slowly over to his father, a sure sign that he'd just awoken.

Molly smiled at her daughter, "It was time to wake him anyway, Ginny. You wouldn't want him up at three a.m."

Draco knelt in front of his sons, "Were you both good boys for your grandparents?" The boys nodded.

"They were wonderful, Draco, although, Thuban still needs to finish his speller."

Without being told, the older boy hugged his parents then returned to the desk. The little wizard was sure that something happened to witches when they had a baby. All mummies had eyes in the back of their heads and outstanding memories when it came to schoolwork and poor behavior.

Ginny had just started explaining the details of their meeting to her parents when there was a knock on the door. Draco answered it and a woman in a maid's uniform walked in with a basket. "Mrs. Fletcher wanted you to have an English dinner. She knows you needed to return to her father's office shortly."

If there was a question about the woman being a witch or not, it was answered when she got to the dining table. Using a wand, she removed items from her basket and set the table placing Cumberland sausage, Steak and Kidney Pie, Toad-in-the-hole, peas, carrots, chips and finally bread and butter pudding with custard to be added later onto the table.

She walked away from the table and said, "I hope it is to your liking. Those are some of my mother's favorite recipes."

"I'm sure it will be, thank you," Draco said as he showed her out.

Serpens approached the table next to the pudding. He inhaled deeply, "That pudding's making my tummy growl."

------------------***************---------------

Steven, Draco, Remus and four other wizards sat together each reading a copy of the London Daily Prophet.

Ransom Request Received For the Return of Cygnus Malfoy!

According to inside sources, the Malfoy family received a package yesterday morning. Inside was the clothing that both Cygnus Malfoy and John Lupin were wearing the day of their abduction along with a note detailing how they were removed from school by use of Vanishing Cabinets. One was placed at the school and one in Lestrange Manor, which was destroyed after the kidnapping.

Evidence was found late last night proving that Michelle Rookwood falsified Ministry records and ordered the cabinet placed in the school. Ms. Rookwood was a long time friend of Rabastan Lestrange and had access to Lestrange Manor.

Ms. Rookwood made her escape minutes before Ministry officials arrived at her home. She was seen in Rabat, Morocco this morning. The Ministry has long believed that "He Who Must Not Be Named" supporters have been hiding in that city for years. It is unknown if the boys are also being hidden in the African city.

Neither Ministry officials nor the Malfoys would confirm or deny this reporter's information. However, Lucius Malfoy did remove a large sum of galleons from his Gringotts account this morning.

"Do you think she'll buy it, Draco?" Remus asked.

He smirked, "She expected us to buy it, didn't she!"

"Frank is back in the compound today. He has dinner planned with Rodolphus, so we'll know soon enough," Steven stated.

------------------***************---------------

Cam and John stared with amazement at the wizarding photographs in front of them. Their father's friend, Frank, had been to the most marvelous place they had ever seen. It was not only a beautiful tropical island but it had broom races, bubble charm underwater adventures, magical seashell hunts and tons of other wonderful things.

"Cepheus," Cam whispered, "I bet there's even a sea serpent in the area."

"I went on a sea serpent ride once, my grandmamma took me," John said.

"Stop making things up," Cam hissed in a whispered. "Momma gets really mad when we make things up."

"But I remember doing it," John said puzzled.

"Maybe you dreamt it. We both dream lots of things up according to Momma and Papa," Cam finished. "Just don't say anything about sea serpent rides."

The little wizards collected the photos, walked over to the grownups and politely waited for the two men to have a lull in their conversation before speaking, "Mr. Gordon, here are your photos. Hanalei looks great. Were there families with children there?" Cam asked.

"They have a whole resort for families with little wizards just like you two," Frank advised.

"Papa, we'd like to go there for our birthday," John said and Cam nodded.

"I thought you wanted brooms?" Rodolphus teased.

Cam looked firmly in Rodolphus' eyes, "We want both of course."

"I see."

"Please Papa," John pleaded, "there's nowhere left to explore here."

"Go wash up for dinner and I'll think about it."

The boys scampered away and Rodolphus turned to his friend, "So Frank, how do I go about making arrangements for a trip to Hanalei, Kauai?"

------------------***************---------------

The next week passed slowly for the Malfoys and Lupins. Disinformation was passed around the Ministry about the kidnapping in hopes that it would be leaked to the Prophet. When Bellatrix read the paper, she believed they were looking for the boys in Africa while they were actually waiting for the Lestranges to head to the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

The day before the Lestranges arrived in Hawaii, Draco, Lucius, Snape, Remus, Bill, Charlie, Ron and Arthur went to the island and set up a camp close to the rental house the boys would be staying in. They used a number of different charms to make their camp invisible and undetectable. Their plan was simple. They would watch the boys for a couple of days then decide upon the best time to retrieve them.

Draco's heart raced each time he saw Cam, noting that Bellatrix must have placed a growing charm on the boy's hair because it was now long, past his shoulders and pulled back with a tie. Bella had gone to great lengths to make Cam look like Cygnus Black as a child.

It surprised Draco when he spotted John Lupin, having expected him to have been made into an Orion Black look alike and seeing that he hadn't. Instead, John's hair and clothing had been fashioned so that he resembled Rodolphus who was always close to his side. The Lestranges had decided to claim that the boys were twins, John, the first-born even through Cam was truly the older of the two.

Draco and Remus had to restrain themselves the first time they heard their sons call the Death Eater 'Papa'. Death was too good for the wizard who'd stolen their children. As they watched the first day, Rodolphus took the boys flying through the mountains in the morning then they spent the rest of the day at the beach. The made-up family used the Bubblehead charm to explore the ocean for the rest of the day.

On the second day, Rodolphus took the boys flying over the same path. They went on a magical seashell hunt with a large group of other children and returned to their rental house early. Cam and John went out into the yard. As the boys played a one on one game of Quidditch, John pulled Cam's hair to get the Quaffle. This was a move that Thuban always used on his brother.

Cam yelled, "Thuban! Stop playing dirty."

Both boys turned and looked at the house for a moment. "I don't think she heard you," John whispered.

"Good, she gets so mad when we call each other the wrong name. I wish I knew why we did it."

This mistake made the boys' true fathers hopeful. It appeared that somehow they still had some memories of their past.

After watching for three days, it was decided to retrieve the boys during their morning flight. Draco had never been so nervous in his life. He sat in wait at the top of the ridge. They always flew in the same pattern. Cam was first, Rodolphus twenty meters behind him, and John twenty meters behind Rodolphus. Draco would grab Cam on his descent, out of Rodolphus' view. Remus would grab John after Rodolphus went over the ridge. The wizards would Apparate to different locations causing the Lestranges to separate to pursue.

Draco heard Cam's laughter before he saw him and readied his broom while hiding in the trees. Once the boy was over the ridge, the blond wizard zoomed over, jumped on the boy's broom, placed his hand over his mouth, his other arm around his waist, and Disapparated.

Rodolphus climbed the ridge in time to see Draco disappear with Cam. He turned to see Remus vanish with John. "Bloody hell!" was the anguished cry of the Dark Wizard. He flew to the spot of his nephew's disappearance. There was no trace of his Apparition destination; however, he did find one for Lupin. Rodolphus Apparated to his vacation rental.

"Bella! Bella!" he screamed. She came out of the house quickly wearing a worried expression.

"Where are the boys?"

"Draco and Lupin! You must use the blood tracking charm to find Cam. Remus was stupid enough to leave a trail. I will go after him." The wizard Disapparated before she could answer.

------------------***************---------------

"I want my Papa! I want my Momma! Let me go! Let me go!" Cam spat with great anger and no tears.

Draco placed him on the floor of the cabin. The little wizard glared at his father, "My parents will come from me. They are a powerful witch and wizard."

"I know that, Cam," the blond wizard said softly.

"My name is Cygnus!" the boy shouted.

Draco knelt in front of him, placed his hands on the boy's shoulders and looked into his eyes, "I know your name. I'm the one who gave it to you."

Cam stared back at the man. There was something so familiar about him, "Who are you?"

"I'm your real Daddy, Cam."

Draco grabbed his wand and Cam's hand at the sound of Apparition pops. Lucius, Snape, Bill and Narcissa appeared. Cam stared at the group with a bewildered look and spotting his grandmother, smiled and ran to her.

"Grandmother, Grandmother, Take me home," he cried.

Narcissa scooped him up into her arms, whispered a spell and they disappeared.

"Bella must not have removed his memories of her," Snape stated.

"Are you sure Bellatrix will track us here and not follow Narcissa?" Bill asked.

"Cam and my mother are still here. She won't leave until…" Draco started before another Apparition pop was heard.

Everyone in the cabin was wearing a piece of Shield clothing from the twins' shop. When they heard the pop they muttered, "Progtego" for additional hex deflection. Their wands pointed at Bella when another pop was heard. Bill looked at Draco who whispered, "My mother just left with Cam."

All five people took cover and started hurling hexes and little remained of the shack after only minutes.

"Crucio!" "Petrificus Totalus!" "Expelliarmus!" "Stupefy!" were some of the curses used by the wizards and witch in the room. Due to rebounding, no rational wizard used the killing curse in a battle.

"Sectumsempra!" Bellatrix yelled as she pointed her wand at Bill. The spell deflected off the oldest Weasley boy and hit Draco in the chest. The blond wizard was highly susceptible to this spell having been hit with it twice before in the same spot.

Blood splattered from Draco's chest as he reached for his wand. Bellatrix looked at her only nephew and screamed at him, "You made me! You can have more children! Give me, Cygnus!"

Lucius turned to his son whose robes and shirt were covered with blood and became so filled with rage that he mindlessly charged at his sister-in-law. He hit her knocking them both to the ground and causing them to lose their wands at which point Lucius took a chance and tried wandless magic.

"Petrificus Totalus!" he yelled. Surprisingly, it worked.

Bill was quickly at his side reiterating the spell with his wand while, on the other side of the room, Snape healed Draco's wound. Lucius looked over at his son, worried.

"He'll be fine, Lucius," Severus reassured, "although there will be a scar this time. He should go to St. Mungo's when we return to London."

The wizards bound Bellatrix with magical rope before removing the full body bind. She wasted no time and hissed at her captors, "Cam belongs to me, I made sure that Draco married that blood traitor. If it weren't for me, the children wouldn't have been born. You don't need him. He is the Black heir and should be mine to raise!" She looked at Draco, "I know you well, Nephew. You never wanted children. You had them to satisfy your parents."

Draco choked back his tears and said, "You're somewhat correct. I had our first son to get my parents off my back about producing an heir. I didn't want to be a father nor was I ready. The instant I saw Thuban changed my mind though. I love being a father to all of my children and I would die to keep them from harm."

She cackled at him, "Will you kill for them, Draco? You will have to one day. No prison can hold me. Only death will keep me from Cygnus."

Draco turned, pointed his wand at Bella, "Avada…"

Snape knocked the young wizard aside and put his own wand to the witch's throat. The charm he mumbled was not heard by any of the others. The screams that came from the witch were louder than any the former Death Eaters had ever heard. Unable to bear it, Lucius placed a Silencing Charm on her as she contorted in pain. The wizards turned their backs until they heard her hit the floor and move no more.

Bill felt for signs of life and found none, "What was that?"

"The new execution curse used by the Ministry," Snape flatly stated.

"That was inhumane… even for her," Bill replied.

Draco turned to Snape, "I could have done it. I would have done it."

"Of course, I merely thought it would be best if I did it. Would it not be difficult to face your mother everyday knowing you killed her sister?" Severus paused. "You need to get to St. Mungo's."

-----------------***************-----------------

Narcissa, Molly, Arthur and Ginny watched as a Healer looked into Cam's eyes. After ten minutes, the boy looked away and ran into Grandmother's arms.

"I don't understand what's happening. Take me home, Grandmother. Take me home," he cried.

The blonde witch walked out of the room with the child. The Healer addressed Ginny, "All of his memories are intact Mrs. Malfoy. The ones of you, your husband, your family and his brothers have been placed in the background and are difficult from him to retrieve. I can easily fix the problem today."

"You'll have to perform a charm on his mind?" Ginny asked.

"Yes, Mrs. Malfoy. It is an easy process and not dangerous."

"Thank you for coming. I'll need to speak with my husband before we go farther," she informed him.

"There really is no need…"

"A child's mind is not a place one should so easily charm. Good day, Sir. Tipsy!" The house elf appeared. "Show the gentleman out, please."

Ginny turned to her mother, "I have another specialist Flooing into London tomorrow morning. What's keeping Draco?" she asked nervously, "you've been back for hours, Dad."

Arthur hugged his daughter and reluctant to share the fact of Draco's injury with her improvised saying, "Rodolphus was careless. It ended faster than any of us thought. Both Ron and Remus are Aurors so we were not held for questioning."

The young witch pulled from her father's embrace at the sound of two Apparition pops. She ran down the hallway to her husband. She was about to throw herself into his arms when she noticed the blood on his robes. She opened his robes revealing the scar just above his heart and felt faint knowing the hex that had caused it and how close she had come to losing him.

Ginny plastered Draco's face with kisses before pulling him into a very tight hug, "I love you. Merlin, Draco, I really do."

He placed his finger under her chin and lifted it up gazing lovingly into her eyes, "I love you too, sweetheart."

"I should get you to a Healer," Ginny firmly stated.

"I've already been, love."

She eyed him, "And what were your release instructions?"

"I want to see the boys, first," he stated.

"Draco Malfoy," she scolded.

Lucius couldn't help but chuckle, "He's to stay in bed the rest of the day and has a blood replenishing potion to take."

"Where are the boys?" Draco asked again but Ginny pushed him to the staircase saying, "They're all fine. Now up to bed with you."

"I want to see my children!" he demanded.

"Really Draco, look at yourself. All that blood on your robes would scare them to death!"

"Oh, you're right, I forgot about that. I'll shower and be right back."

"You'll shower and get in bed," she ordered. "I'll bring the boys up to see you. Now off with you."

"Alright then," he kissed her cheek and whispered, "care to join me in the shower?"

She rolled her eyes at him, "UPSTAIRS NOW!" she ordered.

------------************------------

Ginny walked into their sitting room to find her husband resting on the settee and not in bed as ordered.

"Draco, you should be in bed!" she scolded.

"I'm to rest and that's what I'm doing. Besides, you promised to bring the boys. It would worry them to see me in bed."

She exhaled in frustration, rolled her eyes and then sat in the chair across from him. He gave her a sad look and pouted, "Don't be that way, Gin. Come over here and sit with me." He patted the place next to him.

"Nothing, doing! If I go over there your hands will start roaming."

Draco smirked at her, "What's wrong with that? A good snog is very healing." He pouted some more, "Please Ginny, I'm lonely over here."

The redhead couldn't take it any longer. She went over and sat next to him and instantly he pulled her into his embrace, "I promise just a little snog." He relaxed his body and cushioned her, "It's over. Bellatrix is dead. While I was at St. Mungo's, I saw the weas… Ron. The Lupins have John back and Rodolphus has also passed on." He hugged her and kissed her neck, "How's Cam?"

"He said he's dreamt about us. He's not scared but he is very confused," she paused. "He remembers that Narcissa and Lucius are his grandparents. He's been clinging to your mother." Ginny smiled at her husband, "You know, he's acting like he did the first few weeks after Serpens' birth."

Draco smiled remembering the antics of their then two year old. Cam had been angry at his parents for bringing that screaming thing into his world. He had decided that if they wanted it they couldn't have him. The little wizard was constantly running to Narcissa giving her his love.

"It would be best if your parents stay here for a couple of days to comfort Cam," Ginny started. "I had the London Healer of the Mind look at him and he believes Cam's memories are still intact. They're merely being blocked so he can't retrieve them. The Healer said it was a simple charm to remove the obstruction. I didn't want anyone touching our son's mind without your agreement. I was also thinking we should get a couple more opinions. I've contracted a Healer in Paris. He can come tomorrow morning. I've learned that the leading expert in the field is Healer Grohol from the Swedish Wizard's Studies of the Mind Center. Healer Grohol is busy for the next two days."

"I think we should have the other two Healers assess Cam. I want him to remember us but I don't want to cause him any problems," Draco stated.

"Good, we agree then."

"Ginny, have you asked my mother to stay?"

"No, I wanted to run it by you first."

"I think it's a good idea if at least my mother stays."

She smirked, "Lucius can stay too. I can handle having him around for Cam's sake."

"He may be busy in Sweden, tonight."

Ginny raised a brow at him, "What?"

"I'm sending him to persuade Healer Grohol to make time for us tomorrow."

"Draco! I will not stand by and allow you and your father to bully…"

The blond wizard placed a finger on her lips to quiet her, "He won't bully anyone, Gin. I'm sure the Swedish Institute could always use more funds."

------------************------------

The young couple argued a bit as they left their sitting room. Ginny was displeased; somehow her husband had convinced her it would be best for him to visit the children on the patio. She walked him over to a garden lounge once outside and ordered, "You have to sit down, they'll come to you. Just tell them you're tired. They've heard that before."

Draco did as he was told, selecting a chair close to his father. He had pushed Ginny to her breaking point by insisting that he come downstairs and if he didn't start doing as he was told, her wand would surely come out to play. In addition his mother had frowned at him when he walked onto the patio. Although both witches loved him, they were also the first ones to put him in his place when needed.

Thuban, Cam and Serpens were passing a Quaffle as they played a Quidditch type game without brooms and Leo was sitting on a blanket just off the patio playing with Molly. Draco listened to the baby making dozens of sounds but no words. Draco had just turned to talk to his father when Leo screamed excitedly having spotted his daddy sitting on the patio.

Leo lifted his arms towards Draco, stopped and said, "Dau… Daa… Dada… Dada… Dada…"

Draco quickly left his chair, went to the babe, collected him and lifted him to the sky, "What'd you say, little man?"

"Dada… Dada."

"Draco," Ginny hissed then eyed his empty chair. He made his way back and sat holding the baby close to his chest.

"Yes, that's me. Dada. You'll be saying Da… dee soon and finally Daddy." The now beaming Draco turned to his wife, "When?"

"The day after you went to Kauai. I think he was asking where you were. He'd point to your picture, look at me and say, 'Dada?'."

"Dada's home now, mate. I won't be leaving anytime soon." He smirked at Ginny, "First word?"

She thought about lying and decided against it, "Of course. He's a fast study."

The other boys had wandered up to the group, "Watch Daddy," Thuban said, "Leo, who's that?" The boy pointed to Ginny.

Leo smiled, "Mama… Mama…"

"That's right Leo, you want Mummy to hold you, right? Go to Mummy, Leo," Serpens said. The three year old didn't care what his brother wanted. He wanted that red haired demon off his daddy's chest.

Leo shook his head and laid himself firmly on Draco's chest. The babe then turned his head towards Serpens and stuck out his tongue. His father had to bite his lower lip to stop from chuckling. Draco touched the tip of the babe's tongue and Leo pulled it back. "We keep that in our mouths, little man," he softly scolded the child. He turned his eyes to the other boys. "Watch, what you're teaching him," he admonished.

Draco made room on his lap and had Serpens climb up. He looked back and forth between the boys, "You two will learn to share if it kills me."

Thuban walked up to Draco while Cam went over and stood by Narcissa. "I'm glad your home, Daddy. I'm really glad you brought Cam home."

"I'm happy to be here and see you, Thuban, and I'm glad Cam's home too." Draco wanted a hug from Cam but he wasn't going to push it. Instead he said, " Cam, I hope you're having fun playing with your brothers."

"Everyone's really nice. Will I ever see Cepheus again?" Cam asked.

"His name is John. Cepheus is his middle name," Thuban advised. "His grandmother is our grandmother's sister. He's our cousin and one of your friends."

"I'll arrange a visit soon," Ginny said.

Cam nodded. "Thuban, can we go play now?"

------------************------------

Draco rolled over and spooned himself around Ginny. He brushed her hair behind her ear and kissed her cheek and rubbed his hand down her arm. He was surprised when she turned to face him, anger in her sleepy face.

"For Merlin sake, go to sleep, Draco. I'm sore! Goodness, what's gotten into you?"

"I'm not after more sex, I just needed to have you in my arms," he answered sincerely. "Are you in pain?"

She kissed his cheek, "No, but I will be if we go another round tonight."

"Then I'll behave myself," he teased. "Merlin, I love you, Ginevra Molly Malfoy. After all we've been through the last couple of months, I know we're going to make it."

Ginny responded with a smile and caressed his face, "I love you, too. I do believe we're going to be together forever. We've even got our families on our side now."

"Your parents want to keep me around?"

"Draco, Mum told me today, before you brought Cam home, that she knows what we have together is true love, the type that lasts an eternity. She realized when you didn't blame me for Cam's kidnapping that you truly love me because many marriages fall apart at times like this but we pulled together. In fact, every time someone tried to come between us we clung together."

He kissed her nose, "Ginny, I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy."

"Good, then get some rest. You were under Healer's orders to rest today."

"I've been in bed since nine!" he tried to act offended.

"What you talked me into doing with you from nine until midnight was anything but resting."

"You weren't complaining at the time," he teased and putting on a perplexed look, rubbed his chin with his forefinger and thumb, "Wait one minute. I do remember you saying, don't stop, don't stop and faster… harder… and maybe a do that again?"

His beloved witch smirked at him, "Those weren't complaints, they were instructions."

He made some faces acting as if he was thinking very hard, "Come to think of it, they sounded more like orders to me."

She rolled over, "Then here's another one, go to sleep."

Draco followed his wife and pulled her back into a spooning position. Moments later there was a knock on the door, "I need to get in!" Serpens yelled.

Draco grabbed Ginny's wand from her nightstand and magically moved the chest blocking the door smirking at her, "The chest kept him out."

The door opened and the little boy jumped on the bed. "Daddy! Cam's crying for you."

Draco groaned and started out of bed. He wasn't upset that his son needed him but he feared the boy was likely requesting Rodolphus. "Serpens, get your Grandmother, please."

"Grandmother is already in Cam's room."

The wizard put on his dressing robe and headed out. Ginny was following but Serpens' yelling woke Leo, so she went to the nursery.

Cam's crying could be heard in the hallway. Draco raced past Serpens quickly entering Cam's room. Narcissa was rocking him in a chair and Thuban was patting his back but Cam wasn't calming down. When his eyes met Draco's, he ran to him and threw himself into his arms.

"Daddy, I wanted to come back. John tricked me into the cabinet. When I went to get back inside, Uncle Rodolphus blew it up. I lost Chestnut! I'm sorry, Daddy," the boy cried.

It took Draco a couple of moments to register what Cam had said. His son remembered him. "It's alright, Cam. Daddy's here. I'll make it all better, sweetie. None of it was your fault." His soft words calmed the boy and Draco kissed his cheek and remembered the toy horse. "Mother, Could you please tuck Thuban and Serpens back in?" Narcissa nodded and Draco kissed the other boys goodnight and started down the hallway with Cam on his hip.

"I've got something for you. It's in Mummy and Daddy's room."

"What is it?" Cam asked.

"It's a surprise." Draco walked into his room at the same time Ginny returned from the nursery. "How's Leo?"

"He's sleeping." She caressed Cam's back, "Did you have a bad dream, baby?"

"I'm a big boy, Mummy."

Ginny contained her gasp of surprised as she realized two things. First, Cam wasn't really awake, he had told them earlier in the day that he dreamt about them being his parents. Second, the Healer said the boy would regain some of his memories in time without the charm.

She followed Draco to her nightstand where he opened the bottom drawer and removed a chestnut colored toy horse. "Cam, look what I have."

The little wizard grabbed the horse and looked at the bottom of its hooves. Seeing the 'C' on each, he hugged the horse to his chest. "Daddy, you found Chestnut!" Cam yawned.

"Do you think you can go back to sleep, now?" Draco asked.

The boy snuffled, "Can I sleep with you and Mummy please?"

"Of course," Ginny said, "what kind of sandwich should we make?"

The boy looked a little puzzled, so Draco quickly replied, "I think a Cam sandwich."

They crawled into bed placing Cam between them. The little wizard remembered his normal sleeping position. He placed his head in the crook of his father's arm, his back touching his Draco's side and then both of his little hands grabbed onto Ginny's hand. It wasn't long before the family was fast asleep.

------------************------------

Draco returned the quill to its stand and sighed. He wasn't going to get any work done and he really didn't need to do any work today. It was, after all, Sunday. He had used work as an excuse to extricate himself from home before the row he and Ginny were having turned extremely nasty. They both needed some cool down time before discussing their disagreement about attending Muggle Bonfire Night in the little town close to the Burrow. Draco hissed at the idea of his pure-blooded children mingling with filthy Muggles.

He grabbed his winter cloak and headed out of his office door. He kicked at a small stone as he walked down Diagon Alley. The wizard needed a better place to think. The lake at the Manor was good for that, but he couldn't risk the chance of running into his mother. She likely knew of their row already and would send him home. He found himself sitting on a park bench.

Merlin, how things had changed in the last nine months, who would have thought that adding another child to the family would be the smallest part of it. He smiled thinking of his youngest son; the boy looked so much like Ginny. Draco loved his red haired fiery little witch more than everything despite her fondness for Muggles. Damn, things had been so perfect for the last three weeks.

Lucius had persuaded Healer Grohol to come to Black Hall the day after Cam's return. The Healer stayed for two weeks slowly returning memories to the little wizard to minimize the emotional impact and after the Healer left the family returned to what had become their normal life. Draco went to the office from eight to five except on Thursday when he came home at four. Cam and Thuban went to school from nine to three. Ginny went to her social events when she could but mostly she was home with Serpens and Leo. The couple would tuck their boys in around nine p.m. and within the hour be in their room making love. The Slytherin smirked, most nights and most mornings they partook in that activity.

Monday was one on one time for each boy. They each got an hour alone with Daddy and one alone with Mummy. Tuesday was Mummy night with the boys and Wednesday was family night. Thursday was Daddy night with the boys and Friday night the boys went to the Manor. He and his lovely wife had time together with no social commitments. Saturday afternoon was family time. Saturday evenings the boys went to the Burrow while he and Ginny attended social parties. Sunday, this was the day he looked forward to the most. Normally, he and his wife slept in and retrieved their children just before Sunday roast. After a filling meal with just his sons and wife, the family would go for a walk or horseback ride. It was a slow paced day for his family to spend time together.

"She had to go changing things!" he spat causing a witch to glare at him strangely. Draco bit his lip so he wouldn't speak out loud again. He was looking forward to a lie in and a couple hours of enjoying his wife's body before collecting their children this morning and what did he get? She woke him up at nine and she was already dressed for the day. He got a firm No get showered and dressed when he tried to pull her back into bed. Draco didn't ask why the change in schedule until they returned home with their boys. They were going to Sunday roast at the Burrow then to the Muggle celebration in town, she told him. That's when their row began.

He could handle Sunday roast at the Burrow once a month and he did remember her telling him about it a couple of times. However, then to go to a Muggle celebration, that was too much. Damn it. The blond wizard sat and watched the children play in the park. Their laughter caused him to wonder what his boys were up to right then. Likely, they were enjoying themselves outside or in their playroom and he was letting his anger cause him to miss it.

All the problems and trials he and Gin had been through in the last nine months ran through his head. When the Weasleys kidnapped his family and then tried to have Ginny declared insane, their relationship had only grown stronger. When his father paid someone to seduce his wife and break them apart, again their relationship grow stronger. When his aunt first had Cam plant information so he would believe Ginny loved and longed for Harry Potter, well, after a few bumps, they were back together and their relationship was even stronger. Bella also tried to kill Ginny and then kidnapped Cam and they had made it through all of that.

"Shite, what kind of idiot am I?" he said to himself. "We can work this problem out too."

He Apparated home and found no one there and moaned at the idea of having to discuss this with his wife at the Burrow. He Apparated to the home of his wife's family a little worried. Landing on the front walkway out of habit, he started for the front door, stopping when he heard Molly call to his son.

"Thuban Charles Malfoy! If you take one more step towards that stream, I'll redden your bottom with my wand."

His mother-in-law was strict and would give you an earful when you did something wrong. That reminded him of the scolding he had gotten last time he visited. He'd made the mistake of knocking at the front and got an hour of nattering about his needing to use the backdoor. The front door was for guests, the backdoor was for family. Not wanting to make any mistakes, he walked around back where he was almost mauled by his three oldest sons. As he hugged each boy, he listened closely for any sounds coming from the kitchen.

"I told you he would come," Molly said. "Ginny, try to keep your temper under control. He loves you and all couples have their share of disagreements."

"Daddy," Thuban pulled on his pants, "she's really mad at you. Mostly because you called Mrs. Potter the 'M' word in front of us."

Serpens nodded in agreement and looked at Cam. "Cammy made it worse."

"Be quiet," the five year old hissed.

"He needs to know," Thuban stated. "Mummy will tell him anyway." Thuban turned to his father and said, "Mummy was walking around whispering about how dare you use that word in front of us and how wrong it was. Then Cam said 'But Mrs. Potter is a 'M'''.

"She spanked his bottom good," Serpens interjected.

Draco knelt in front of Cam and hugged him, "I'm sorry I led you wrong on that one, son. Neither of us should have used that word. Do you promise not to do it again?" The boy nodded and Draco ran his wand lightly behind the boy's bottom, "Does it feel better, now?" Cam nodded then hugged his father who told them, "You three be good. I need to speak with Mummy."

He turned to see his wife in the doorway. "Hello, Ginny. We need to talk."

She nodded. "My old room would be the best place."

They walked to her old room in silence. He closed the door and placed a silencing charm. "First, I want you to know that, I love you. Our views on this topic are very different. We need to have a discussion and come to a compromise." He sat in a chair and pulled her into his lap.

She fought him, "Let me go, Draco!"

"Calm down, Ginny. Merlin, I'm not going to bite you. Holding you calms me." She stilled on his lap. "Thank you. I'm sorry for yelling this afternoon. I started the row and I shouldn't have. I should never have called Hermione that name. I'll do my best to stop using it. I gave Cam's bottom a little pain relief. I hope you don't mind since it was my fault after all."

"That's fine. I shouldn't have spanked him."

He started caressing her arms. "Alright. Now for the hard part. I don't like the boys being around Muggles so much. Muggle children are generally rude, badly behaved and use dirtier language than the Dark Wizards who drink in the back room of the Hogshead."

"That's not true, Draco. But I'm not going to debate it with you. Let's do this, we'll go to the Bonfire and if the Muggle children are unruly, we'll leave."

"I think they're too young to learn about the Muggles' sick ways, Ginny. They burn a man in effigy in the bonfire celebrating the fact that his act of treason failed. Muggles make war and kill each other over the silliest things. This particular instance was over differences in religion."

"Draco, they fight because they have different beliefs. Yes, it's nuts. But what was our last war about?"

He growled, "We don't celebrate our wars. We mourn our mistakes."

She rolled her eyes, "The boys want to see the fireworks and I see no harm in that. They put the effigy of Guy in the fire first thing. We'll wait at the Burrow and I'll have Bill two-way mirror us when that's over."

"All right, we'll try it." He smirked, "Shall we seal our deal with a kiss?"

She leaned down to peck him on the lips but he seized the opportunity to pull her closer and when he ran his tongue over her lips, she allowed him to kiss her deeply. He rested his forehead on hers when they broke for air and she whispered against his lips, "I love you, Draco, thank you for coming."

"I love you, too. I had to come, I can't stand being away from you." He kissed her again and said, "We better get downstairs, it sounds like the rest of your family has arrived."

Her brothers were standing at the backdoor when the couple entered the room arm and arm. The red haired wizards growled at the blond.

"Oh, brilliant," Ron spouted sarcastically. "They've made up already."

"Shut it, Ronald!" Ginny hissed.

"Draco, be a dear and help set up the garden for dinner. We'll need table, chairs, lighting and a number of warming charms," Molly asked. "Bill will show you what to do."

"Of course, Molly," Draco replied before kissing Ginny, giving her bottom a playful pat, winking at her and smirking as he walked past the six Weasley wizards.

"Bill, I say we make the prat do all the work," Charlie said.

"I second that," added George.

"I couldn't agree more," Fred agreed.

"Just because they made up doesn't mean he won't pay for making her cry in the first place," Ron interjected.

Ginny pointed her wand at her brothers, "You lot will leave him alone. Our row was my fault as well."

"We won't hurt him, Ginny," Bill reassured.

Fred and George nodded in agreement, "Not permanently…"

"At least."

"You won't lift a wand against him!" Ginny hissed. "Or hand."

Molly shooed her sons outside, "Boys, leave Draco alone!"

"I can see you from the window, so don't try anything," Ginny added.

Once the men were outside, Molly walked over to her daughter and the two witches stood together by the window observing the wizards in the garden. Draco tried his best to hide his state of unease.

Her mother put her hand on Ginny's shoulder, "Your brothers were only thinking of talking to him because they love you."

Love, the young red headed witch thought. It's strange what people think love is and what they say they do in the name of love. Her family kidnapped her and her children out of love for her. They tried to have her declared insane too. Lucius paid a wizard to seduce her because he loved his son, wanting to test her love for Draco. Bellatrix tried to break them up, kill her and then kidnapped Cam because the crazy witch said she loved the boy. Was any of that truly love?

She watched her husband set up the garden for dinner knowing that he was being teased and taunted a little by her brothers. Draco simply smiled as the others made him do most of the work. He looked at the window as he magically placed the last chair and her heart melted as their eyes met. Draco winked then mouthed, "I love you, Ginevra." Ginny realized in that moment that love is an ever changing thing. Each day she lived she learned more and more about the nature of love, loving and being loved.

Today she'd learned that Love meant coming into enemy territory to say you're sorry and work things out even knowing that you'd likely be hexed. Love accepts the beloved without either person attempting to change the other. And most important of all, Ginny had learned that what she and Draco shared was indeed the real thing.

Finish.

Author's Notes: Avery special thank you to my beta reader, Marcia. She is wonderful! I'd also like to thank all of my readers and reviewers. I hope you have enjoyed reading this little tale of mine.

I do have a cookie about the day Thuban was born to post. I plan to post it before June 5th , seeing how it is a story about Draco's birthday too.

The first chapter of the sequel (What Love is For!) is half way done. It will have our favorite Malfoy family plus Ron and Luna, Blaise and Pansy, Vince and Padma, Greg and Diane and others.

Also, please go to my live journal and vote on the boys' new puppy's name. dagforever.livejournal.com