Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Life Is A Beach?

Draco walked into his father's study. Lucius poured both of them a fire whiskey and they sat in the armchairs in front of the heatless fire.

"Draco, I asked you here to discuss your plans. We must be pro-active. We cannot let the Weasley's make the decisions. I will not allow Malfoy children to be raised in that pigpen they call a home. It is unfit!"

"Father, I understand your point and I have no intention of letting my sons live in anything less than the beach house. Ginny has many happy memories of us in there. Those memories and her belief that it's best for our sons to be raised by both a mother and father will bring her back before the two weeks are out."

"I don't feel you are as confident as you act, son."

"I'm confident she will come back. I am not confident she will stay. You do realize she also has a year to file for divorce?"

"Yes, which is why we need a plan. I have been talking to my friends in Bulgaria. We could get the children and live there."

"I will not run away. England is my home and will be the home of my children. I want my whole family. The boys need a mother and father," Draco stated firmly.

"Then we take Ginevra also."

"No, Father. Let me handle this my way. Ginny is a brilliant witch. She would not be an easy prisoner or sit back if her children were stolen from her."

"Maybe she is too intelligent. You would have been better off with Ms. Parkinson."

An old eagle owl flew into the study through the open window. It stopped by Draco and he removed the letter. Reading the outside he smiled at Lucius.

"If I would have married Ms. Parkinson, Thuban wouldn't have the wit to write me this letter. Cygnus, if we had had him, wouldn't be able to do magic with any wand he managed to get his hands on. And Serpens wouldn't be able to name every dragon in the world."

As Draco read the letter tears formed in his eyes. He placed it on the table and left the room. Lucius picked it up. He walked over to his desk and picked up a quill. He would not stand by and do nothing when his son and grandson were hurting so deeply.

------*****------

Draco's tear stained face glowed in the fire's light, a glass full of fire whiskey in his right hand and an empty bottle on the table beside him. He summoned a house elf and demanded another bottle. His despair turned to anger when the elf informed him Lucius would not allow another bottle to be brought. Draco was so enraged he didn't notice the fire start to stir. He turned his back on it and rounded on the elf.

"My wife and children have left me! Whiskey is the only comfort I have left in this house! I can only sleep if I pass out. I need more whiskey to achieve that!"

A soft female voice came from behind him. "Get him a dreamless sleeping draft, Sumtin." The house elf bowed at the fireplace and disappeared. Draco placed the glass on his desk, ran his fingers through his hair, wiped his face best he could and pressed on a smile. He turned around slowly and smiled at Ginny's head in the fireplace. He tried to walk slowly back to the armchair but couldn't. He also couldn't hide the shock and bliss in his voice. "It's so wonderful that you flooed, Love. How are you? How are the boys? Thuban sent a note back with my owl, did you know?"

She smiled at him. "I didn't know about the owl but I thought he was up to something when he watered and fed the bird without being asked. We're all fine, Draco. But the boys miss you terribly."

"I miss them too. I also miss you, Love," he replied sincerely.

"Draco, drink the draft when Sumtin brings it so you're well rested for tomorrow. Your sons don't need to see you in this state."

"Yes, Love. Do you want me to come to the beach house?" He asked with the excitement of a child on Christmas morning.

"Yes, but Apparate a hundred meters down the beach, we've set up wards. Around 11:00 o'clock will be fine. No sweets or presents, Draco," she ordered.

"Thanks, Gin. I really appreciate this."

"I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing it for our boys," her head disappeared with a pop.

------******------


Bill, Fred, George, Thuban, Cam and Serpens played tag in front of the house while Molly and Arthur sat on the front porch watching. Cam stopped playing and watched a cloaked man walk towards the house, moments later he ran at top speed to the man. His excited squeals stopped his brothers from playing and they joined him in his flight and screams. "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" echoed through the seaside. Draco maintained his casual pace for a few strides before he too was running at top speed. He stopped, knelt and opened his arms steps away from his two oldest boys. They lunged at him with such great force they flipped him onto his back. Thuban and Cam tickled and hugged Draco. Serpens jumped on top of the pile a short time later. The group stayed on the beach play fighting for some time.

The Weasleys watched the scene from the front porch. "Merlin's beard. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself." Bill shook his head in disbelief. "A Malfoy rolling around on the ground with his children."

"Do you think it's an act, Dad?" George questioned.

Arthur watched the scene closely. "No, the boys are attacking him too freely."

Molly gasped, "He truly does love them."

"Think Malfoy would notice if..."

"...we joined in the game..."

"...and got a couple good..."

"...whacks in too?"

Molly scolded her twins, "You will do no such thing."

"But mum..."

"...he might love our nephews..."

"...but the prat still..."

"...forced Ginny into marriage."

Molly frowned. "I know, but it would upset the boys to have their father harmed in front of them."

Fred and George grinned at each other mischievously. Their mother had just given them permission to harm Draco away from his sons.

------******------

Draco spent the day playing on the beach with the boys. Bill, Fred, George and Arthur took turns watching Draco, making sure he didn't try to take the children. Molly served tea on the front porch for the group around 3:00 p.m.. The sound of a baby crying had caught Draco's attention and he had a hard time not looking at the master bedchamber's balcony. The cries filled his heart with sadness. He desperately wanted to see Leo and Ginny but didn't dare ask.

After tea, Thuban and Cam asked to go flying and Draco invited the Weasley brothers to accompany them. Thuban sighed loudly at Draco's invitation earning himself a stern look from his father. Draco knew the Weasleys wouldn't let him fly with his sons unattended so inviting them made the situation easier for everyone to handle. While they were flying, Ginny wandered out onto the front porch with Leo in her arms. She sat next to Molly and Arthur who were watching the boys fly.

Ginny's voice was shaky when she spoke. "Mum. Dad. I've been watching them all day from my room. I want Draco to stay for dinner and tuck the boys in tonight and I'm letting him come back tomorrow."

"What are you thinking Ginny?" Molly exclaimed through gasps of breath.

Arthur placed his arm around his wife's shoulder to calm her. "Molly dear. Let's hear Ginny out."

"Thanks, Dad. Mum, no matter what I decide, Draco will get weekend visitation. So, we might as well get used to it."

"All right, Gin bug."

"Dad. I'll be going back to my room but I want to tuck the boys in with Draco. Could you hang close by in the hallway in case I need you?" Arthur nodded.

------******------

The squeals of joy that assaulted Ginny's ears when she entered Serpens' room warmed her heart. It was obvious Draco had all three of their boys bathing in Serpens' tub. It was not long before the boys and Draco came out of the bathroom. Draco's eyes brightened at the sight of her for a moment, then they became worried.

"Hello, Ginny. You look well this evening," he lied. "She looks like she hasn't slept in weeks," he thought. Serpens and Cam ran to their mother but Thuban stood fast by his father.

Ginny hugged her boys and then tugged on their bathrobes lightly. "We need to get you in pajamas and into bed." The boys were dressed in their pajamas and then Draco read them a story about a dragon.

Once the story was complete Serpens asked the question that was on all the boys minds. "Daddy, are you going to be here tomorrow?" Draco looked at Ginny and she nodded at him.

He smiled brightly. "Yes. Now Cam, Thuban, go to your rooms and your mother and I will be there shortly to tuck you in."

------******------

To Draco's displeasure Sunday had gone a lot like Saturday. He didn't see much of Ginny; he mostly played with the boys. Molly had taken him into Ginny's sitting room at 5:00 p.m. to give him some time with Leo. She also informed him that Ginny wanted to speak with him, so they could explain everything to the boys that night. The sound of Molly's voice had told him things weren't looking good for his marriage. He laid on the couch holding his newborn to his chest wondering how he could possibly build a relationship with his newest son when he would only be seeing him once a week. Tears ran unchecked down Draco's face as he thought about his life without his wife and children living with him. He felt the lack of sleep catching up to him. He placed Leo in the bassinet and closed his eyes.

Ginny entered the sitting room at 6:00 p.m.. Draco was sleeping on the couch with the bassinet on the floor next to him, his hand inside of it lightly touching his son. He'd started napping that way when Thuban was born, telling her that it kept the baby calm. She thought him a liar but never called him on it. She knew Draco was the one calmed by touching the child. She didn't have the heart to wake him. She knew that, like her, he hadn't been sleeping well and he looked so peaceful, pain free.

------******------

"Ginny. Leo's hungry." The deep voice of her husband warmed her. She didn't really wake up. She merely followed the routine they had developed with their last two babies. She rolled onto her side and exposed her breast. Draco placed the baby in her arms making sure his son latched on. He stood there watching. A smile washed across his face. He missed this. He missed seeing her, touching her, feeling her. "Don't stand there," she said. He walked away sadly. "Draco, where are you going? Lie down and cuddle us."

"Are you sure, Ginevra?" he asked excitedly.

"Yes."

Not realizing Ginny wasn't really awake or maybe not caring, Draco stripped down to his boxers and crawled into the bed. He cuddled his wife and new son. "I love this part, you know," he said caressing her arm and his son's cheek with one finger. "I should have never used the potion. He's cuter than the others. Your features look great mixed with mine."

"Draco, I'm tired. No talking, just cuddle." He pulled her closer into his body and she moaned, "Merlin, that feels good." When the baby finished nursing on the left breast, Draco burped him, Ginny rolled over and Draco placed the baby on her other breast.

Leo nursed greedily on the second breast and Draco chuckled. "He's a hungry one." When Leo finished, Draco burped him again and placed him in his cradle. Draco got back into bed; Ginny rolled onto his chest and held him tight. Sleep came to the couple very quickly.

"Mummy. Mummy." Serpens spoke very softly. He rubbed Ginny's arm, which still lay on Draco's chest. Ginny groaned and rolled over, her movements waking Draco slightly. He opened his eyes and spotted Serpens, whose hands were in front of him in an attempt to hide the wetness of his pajama bottoms. Draco gave his son a reassuring smile. "It's all right, son. Accidents happen to the biggest of boys." With a flick of his wand Draco dried the small boy. He got out of bed slowly as not to interrupt Ginny's sleep and scooped his son into his arms.

The little boy grabbed his father around the neck tightly. "I'm glad you stayed, Daddy. You didn't 'fore." Draco returned the boy's hug as they walked down the hallway.

Noises from Thuban's room had Draco check on his oldest son. Serpens pushed his face hard into Draco's chest as they entered the bedchamber. Thuban was sitting in a chair with his arms folded, pajamas different then Draco remembered putting him to bed in. The boy yelled at the house elf to finish making the bed. His mood fouler then a mother Hungarian Horntail who just had her eggs stolen.

When the five year old spotted his brother and father, he pointed and screamed, "That little baby peed on me and my bed!" Serpens started to cry and then Thuban eyes widened with delight. "You stayed the night, Daddy." The boy giggled and he pointed to his father's boxers. "Mummy's going to be mad at you. It's not polite to walk around in only your boxers."

Serpens nodded. "Your wee wee might fall out." Serpens' statement caused them to laugh heartedly. The three shared hugs before Draco tucked Thuban into the freshly made bed. Draco put on his dressing gown that a house elf had retrieved for him. He then carried Serpens to his room and tucked the 2 year old in. He had just opened the door to Ginny's sitting room when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to see a livid Ron Weasley looking at him. Draco sneered with total hatred.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing, Malfoy? Trying to force my sister into a last shag?" Ron held his wand at Draco's throat.

Draco chuckled, "Don't be asinine, Weasel. She's only 4 days postpartum. Sex won't be safe or pleasant for her for at least two more weeks." He learned forward and whispered into Ron's ear. "I do so enjoy watching your little sister quiver with pleasure beneath me as I shag her senseless."

"You FUCKING BASTARD!" Ron jumped at him; Draco was able to take Ron's wand. He noticed the bedchamber door open and instead of placing the wand at Ron's throat he handed it to Ginny, who had appeared in the doorway. Draco sat on Ron's chest. "Hex the bloody prat, Gin," Ron screamed.

"Draco, get off of him," Ginny whispered. "Ronald, be quiet you'll wake the boys."

"But, Ginny," Ron stammered. "He was trying to sneak in!"

"I knew he was here." A baby's cry inside the bedchamber had Draco on his feet and retrieving his youngest son.

"You're not going to let that Slytherin sodder in your bedchamber willingly? Are you mental?" Ron asked with astonishment in his eyes.

"Je n'ai jamais rencontré quelqu'un d'aussi bête," Thuban screamed from the sittingroom doorway.

Ginny and Ron looked at Thuban with puzzlement while Draco, who had just reappeared in the room, gave the little boy a stern look. "Thuban, I'm sure your mother doesn't approve of you addressing your uncle in such a manner."

"What are you on about, Malfoy? The boy just said he enjoys flying with me."

Draco turned his back to hide a snicker. After composing himself he turned back to glower at Thuban and then he asked, "Did you inform them of that translation?" The little boy nodded slowly. "Inform your mother of the true translation." The 5 year old stood looking at his mother with sad eyes, pleading for her help but when none was given he looked back at his father.

Thuban shuddered just a little. "But, Daddy, he is."

"Translation now, son."

Thuban looked at Ginny and whispered, "I said, I've never met anyone quite so dumb." He walked over, hugged Ginny and cried. "I'm sorry, Mummy. I was mad. He was trying to scare Daddy away again. I'm sorry."

Draco grabbed Thuban away from Ginny. "Go to your room and stay there until your mother or I come for you." Thuban scampered out of the room. "Sorry about that, Ginny." He looked at Ron. "Although, I agree with my son's opinion, he shouldn't have lied about the translation or made the statement in front of his mother."

Ginny exhaled in frustration. "He shouldn't have made the statement at all."

Draco nodded. "As you wish." He walked Ron to the door. "Excuse us, Weasley, we need to discuss the matter of our son's punishment."

Ron looked at Ginny. "It's alright, Ron. Go."

Ron looked at the closed door. "She's nutters."

-----******------

"He's hungry again, Gin," Draco said. "Would you like to go back to bed and feed him?"

"You slept in my room and took care of him last night, didn't you?"

"Yes, you asked me to and it just happened." He looked at her and smiled. "You look well rested."

She smirked back at him. "Yes, best sleep I've had in five days. I had forgotten how handy my husband was with the children at night." She led him back into the bedchamber and laid down reaching for Leo. Draco placed him in her arms and she started to nurse the baby. Draco cuddled up behind her.

"Least I can do. Nasty habit Leo has gotten himself into - wetting himself forty-five minutes after nursing and then soiling himself forty-five minutes after that. No wonder you looked like death warmed over the last two days."

She elbowed him in the ribs. "Thanks for the compliment, Malfoy." She turned her head and looked into his eyes. "I want to try and have a real marriage with you. I'm not talking about falling in love with each other. I'm talking about an equal partnership. It's best for our boys and you're not that bad to have around."

"We can be true partners. I will be a better husband, Princess. All I want is a chance. Arranged marriages have worked for centuries."

The door to the bedroom opened and Molly came in. "Draco, leave her alone."

"Mum, I asked him to join me. He's my husband."

"You've been brainwashed, it's a spell, or it's depression!" Molly exclaimed.

Leo finished nursing. Draco burped him and got out of the bed. Leo cried when he placed him in the cradle so he walked over to the rocking chair and rocked his son. "I've cast no spell on her. I've only helped her with our son tonight as I've done with our other three boys. I don't think she is depressed but she does always get a little emotional the first month after giving birth. What does mother call it again?" He paused then smiled at his son. "Oh yes, the baby blues. That's it. Nothing a lot of cuddling and reassuring words to Ginevra that she is the perfect mother, won't fix." He walked past Molly and placed a sleeping Leo in the cradle. "I guess I should thank you, Mrs. Weasley, for teaching your daughter to be an outstanding mother." Molly's mouth opened in shock. Draco looked at Ginny. "I'll be in the sitting room if you need me."

"Don't go, Draco. We need to talk," Ginny pleaded.

"Ginevra Molly Weasley. You don't know what you're doing. You can't stay with him. He raped you on your wedding night, for Merlin's sake," Molly whispered in disapproval.

"Mum, I have four children with him and I wouldn't call what he did rape." She looked at Draco.

He whispered, "I'm sorry."

Ginny looked at Molly. "I need to figure out if my husband is willing to make some changes, because, Mum, I'm happy with Draco most of the time and if he agrees to a few changes I'll be happy with him all the time."

Molly angrily left the room.

"She didn't take that well," Draco said.

"Come and cuddle me."

Draco laid down and rolled Ginny on to his chest. He sighed with contentment. "Merlin, I've missed holding you. If our marriage is to work, we need to live away from our parents. We'll stay here for a week while the elves get Black Hall ready for us."

"We're moving out of the Manor?" she was shocked.

"I don't need my parents interfering anymore. It was my mother's idea to have you stop nursing Thuban after one month. It was my father's idea not to let the children visit your family. Those were two big mistakes on my part. I need to do what I think is right, not them. Plus I'm sure your family and friends would feel more comfortable visiting you and the boys at Black Hall."

She kissed him. "Your mother has been very helpful but I have been wanting out of the Manor for ages. Thank you."

"No, thank you for giving me a second chance," he kissed her nose. "Now, what punishment do you think Thuban deserves?" Draco chuckled, "I do have to say it was brilliant cheek and a true statement. So, I think we should go easy on him."

-------*******------

After advising Thuban to apologize to his Uncle Ron for his behavior, Draco flooed Lucius who was happy to hear Ginny would not be seeking an annulment. Although Lucius didn't inform Draco of his plans, he had been working with a group of lawyers and other less then honest characters to assure the Malfoys retained sole custody of his grandsons. It would be easiest to do this without an annulment. Lucius recommended Draco spend the next two to three weeks with his family insuring Ginny's happiness. This surprised Draco and he should have realized that Lucius was mainly trying to keep Draco out of the way. Lucius would happily be rid of Ginny, she had served her purpose and the Malfoy line was strong again. But they needed to have the boys with them, not with the Weasleys. Ginny would have to be made happy until Lucius was certain that if a divorce occurred the boys remained with Draco.

Draco Apparated into the Manor around 8 a.m.. To his surprise his parents were still in the dinning room. He informed them about his plans. Narcissa started to cry uncontrollably when he informed her of his family's move to Black Hall.

"You're taking my babies away from me," she sobbed.

"It's only for a short time, Mother," he lied.

"How short Draco? Just until she can no longer file for the annulment or divorce, correct?"

"Around that time, Mother." He called the elves and sent many of them to Black Hall. He decided to pack the things his family would need for the next week himself. He hated lying to his mother, so he kept himself busy away from her. His sons had told him to bring back a number of toys, but Draco had announced he would only bring one each. Locating the toys was a problem; he had to summon a couple of elves for help. Thuban's favorite book was under his bed covered by Draco's second year Quidditch pads. Cam's junior snitch was in Serpens' room at the bottom of the toy box in a shoe box. Serpens' fire breathing dragon was in the library on the highest shelf hidden behind a number of books. Thuban must have hidden it, Cam would never climb that high. He would have to talk with his oldest son. A devilish grin crossed his face and he thought, I'll tell Ginny where I found the dragon. She'll take care of Thuban. He looked at his watch and as it was almost lunchtime he shrunk the items, placed them in a trunk and Apparated back to the beach house.

Draco ran through the house panic stricken. It was empty, not even the house elves would reply to his calls. All the clothing and the bassinet were gone from the master chambers. Thuban's room was empty except for his broom lying on the bed. Cam and Serpens' rooms were empty too. Draco thought Ginny must have changed her mind, but he couldn't understand why she'd left in this fashion. Then he saw it, the first piece of proof that Ginny hadn't left of her own free will. Serpens' blanket lay on the kitchen floor. The child couldn't sleep without it and would cry endlessly once he realized it was missing. Ginny had made a copy of it last fall, after they had spent hours searching for it in Diagon Alley.

The second piece of evidence he found was irrefutable: the house elves bound in the cellar. They were unsure of their attackers, but recalled hearing Ginny and the children screaming that they didn't want to go. Tipsy pleaded for Draco's forgiveness because she had informed the kidnappers of the charm that would remove the locator bracelets Draco had on the three older boys. The bracelets had been placed on the children after Cam and Thuban had wandered off one day.

"I is sorry, Master but the Irishman say he be cutting of the children's hands to remove the bracelet, if I not tell the charm."

Draco tried a number of other locator spells but none were working. The Fidelius Charm could have been used. He reported his family's disappearance to the Ministry, who did nothing, assuming the elves were lying for their master. Ministry officials were certain Ginny was scared and would show up to annul their marriage by week's end.

Draco went back to the manor library and looked in every book he could think of that might contain a charm that would help him locate his family. When darkness appeared in the window he looked out into the night wondering where his family was and how to set about finding them.

As he watched, two dark figures crept across the grounds, the larger figure carrying something in its arms. Without hesitating they walked over to the secret entry to Lucius' study. An entry used only by Death Eaters when Lucius didn't want Narcissa to know of a meeting. Draco ran from the library to his father's study. He kicked open the door, wand in hand. In front of him he saw Charles Avery, his father, his Uncle Rodolphus Lestrange and, in Rodolphus arms, what appeared to be the lifeless body of his second son, Cam. Draco pointed his wand at Lucius.

"What in the bloody hell have you done?"

Author's note: I came across this video the other day and thought the song fit my story. Here is the URL HYPERLINK "http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/regret/index.html"