Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Lucius Shows His True Colors.

----------*********----------

Thuban wrinkled his face as he looked around the Burrow. This was an okay place to have a short visit but his parents were nutters for having them stay the night. Why couldn't his grandparents have come to Black Hall? Everything in this house is rubbish. If you could call it a house, the elves quarters at the Manor were bigger than this place. He sat on the sofa and patted a pillow. Will at least it's nice.

"I want to come with you, Daddy. I'll be good. Please, Daddy. Please!" Serpens pleaded as he cried into Draco's chest.

Cam's pleas mirrored those of his younger sibling. only he was appealing to their mother. Molly stood in between the two trying to help comfort the boys. Arthur placed a sleeping Leo in a cot and then approached his oldest grandson.

"I've been looking forward to your visit. I'm skiving off work today. What would you like to do first? Collect potion ingredients from the pond or from the field. If we're lucky we may be able to sneak off to Fred and George's shop."

The little wizard screwed up his face in disbelief.

"You'll have a wonderful visit if you give it a chance, Thuban. Haven't you always enjoyed it here?" The boy nodded. "And you've enjoyed the times your grandma and I watched you overnight at Black Hall?" The boy nodded again. "Then what is the problem?"

"You have a ghoul. I don't like them. They're best friends with Boggarts."

"Oh. I see. Well, I'm quite proficient at fighting Boggarts. Besides, our ghoul hasn't any friends."

Thuban tried to give his grandpa a smile but could not. He understood his parents needed to entertain important business clients from Spain because they had canceled their trip. However, he and his siblings didn't need to be left in this strange house. Aunt Pansy and Uncle Blaise had offered to watch them. Serpens' and Cam's tears ended when Uncle Charlie entered the house with a baby Horntail in a glass cage.

"Thuban, why don't you join your brothers outside? Your uncle is going to let the dragon out," Ginny said with great enthusiasm.

Tears flowed freely down the boy's face as he pleaded, "Please don't leave us here, Mummy. I want to go home."

Draco scooped the boy up. "Listen, mate. Try it for me, please. I promise you're safe here."

---------*********---------

Thuban sat in Ron's room looking at photo albums. He giggled when he turned the page. "You all looked so funny. Your hair is in your eyes."

"Laugh all you want little man. Your father's hair was like that too," Ron said before going to his cupboard and removing a box.

Thuban turned to the Slytherin pictures in the Hogwarts' book and laughed at his father. When he reached the section containing pictures of Quidditch teams, he watched them closely. The Slytherin and Gryffindor Seekers were racing for the Snitch. Thuban instantly saw the long red hair of his mother and smiled at her, while doing so he saw the Slytherin Seeker kick her.

"That Slytherin prat kicked my mum!" He looked up at his Uncle Ron. "I bet my daddy kicked his butt for doing that."

Ron chuckled, "Take a good look at that prat, Thuban."

He looked back down at the picture to see his father flying around with the snitch in his hand and once again pushing and kicking Ginny away.

"What a great bullying git! No wonder Mummy gets so upset when we behave like that." He gave his uncle a bewildered look. "How old were they? He's not mean to her now."

"Malfoy… I mean your dad," Ron still had a hard time spitting that out, the idea that his nephews were Malfoy's sons was still hard for him to acknowledge, "was fifteen. Your mum was fourteen." Ron looked closely into the little wizard's eyes. "So, you've never seen your daddy hit or kick your mummy? Never seen bruises on her she can't explain?"

"Nope, they don't hit each other. They've never drawn wands on each other either. Uncle Greg and Aunt Lav did that once. Both Daddy and Mummy yelled at them and we didn't visit for a long, long time." He raised his brow to his uncle. "She had bruises a couple days ago and she blushed when I asked her about them."

"Really? Where were they?"

"I think she had charmed them or something. Because I didn't see them when we first started swimming but they showed up later. She had a couple little ones on the left side of her neck and she had four on each side of the back of her hips and one on each side of the front of her hips. Like someone was holding her really tight on the side of each hip."

Ron growled and shook his head to remove the images. He knew how those marks had likely gotten on his sister. He often caused the same bruising on Luna's hips during extremely hot rides. He stammered and his face turned as red as his hair, "Well, I don't think those were anything to worry about."

Thuban shrugged his shoulders and looked back at the book. "Uncle Blaise called them love marks. But I didn't know why."

Talking about his sister's sex life was one thing Ron didn't have planned for the evening even if Thuban didn't understand the secrets he was sharing. So he handed the little wizard another album. As Thuban turned the page an old newspaper-clipping fell on the floor, he scooped it up and laughed louder. "You look really funny in Egyptian clothing." He paused, "Hey, this rat looks like the one that bit me."

Ron, who had been busy packing his things, turned to the boy. "What did you say?"

Thuban showed Ron the clipping and pointed at Scabbers. "This rat looks a lot like the one that bit me. See?" the little wizard pointed to his ear.

Fear instantly ran through Ron. Was he hearing the boy, right? Was Wormtail still alive? If he was, what was he doing around his nephew. Ginny is in danger! His fear caused him to lunge at the boy grabbing his shoulders. "Where did you see my old rat?"

His uncle's tone puzzled Thuban, scaring him.

Ron shook him slightly trying to break his state of shock. "Where did you see him?" his tone was very agitated due to his great fear for his sister's well being.

The ghoul in the attic's timing couldn't have been worse. It decided to start throwing things. Absolute terror filled Thuban's eyes. Seeing this, Ron calmed himself and released the boy. The little wizard ran to the door and then down the stairs. He rubbed the coin in his pocket screaming. "Grandfather, I need you. Help me! Help me!"

Hearing this, Molly and Arthur came to the stairway. Thuban tried to run though them but was scooped up by Arthur.

"Don't let him get me! Let me go!" Thuban screamed over and over.

Ron reached the bottom of the stairs shortly after his nephew. Chaos rang through the front room of the Burrow.

---------**********----------

The coin in Lucius' pocket vibrated. He quickly excused himself from his business dinner. Once outside the room he Apparated to a location close to Thuban and found himself standing outside the Weasley's home. The thought crossed his mind that his eldest grandson was merely displeased with being in the shack his mother's family called a home. However, the anguished screams of the boy started his feet toward the door.

Lucius quickly checked the building for wards and only found a simply one which he removed. He pointed his wand at the door and it flew open. Surprised by this, Arthur loosened his hold and Thuban fled to Lucius.

The blond boy jumped into his grandfather's arms. Lucius held his grandson on his hip and kept his wand pointed at the Weasleys.

"Put your wand down, Malfoy," Arthur calmly said.

Lucius lowered it although he watched them closely.

"What's going on, Ron?" Arthur asked.

Ron handed the old clipping to his father and spoke calmly although his fear was clear. "Thuban said he saw Pettigrew."

Molly gasped.

Lucius pocketed his wand, drew the boy closer to his chest and mumbled, "Wormtail's alive?"

"Ron?" Arthur questioned.

"He saw the picture of us in Egypt, pointed at Scabbers and said that he bit his ear." Ron pointed at the scab on Thuban's ear.

"I didn't take your pet. I didn't do anything wrong!" Thuban looked at Lucius. "Uncle Ron tried to hurt me, Grandfather. Take me home."

"I reacted wrong. I shouldn't have grabbed you or shook you. Thuban, he's not my pet. He is a very dangerous wizard."

"He's an animagus," Thuban sadly stated. "I should have known. That's why he squeaked when I talked about the poison potion." He cuddled into Lucius' chest. "I'm sorry, Grandfather."

The blond wizard hugged the boy and kissed his forehead. "You've done nothing wrong. Grown wizards are fooled by animagi all the time. When and where did you see this rat?"

"I saw him a number of times last week. He was always around Mummy and Daddy's chambers. Sunday, he bit my ear and I threw him out the window."

"Thank you, Thuban. I must get this news to your parents." Lucius tried to place the boy on the floor.

"I want to come with you." Thuban held on tight. "I don't like it here."

"Have they been unkind to you or your brothers?" Lucius asked.

"No"

"You must stay, Thuban. It is what your parents wish."

"But I want to go with you, Grandfather."

"I would like to take you with me. However, it is not possible at this time." Lucius kissed the little boy on both of his cheeks. "I love you, Thuban. Be a good boy and remain with your mother's family."

"If I must," Thuban replied and released his hold.

Charlie walked in from the kitchen with Cam and Serpens. The boys ran to Lucius. "What's going on, Dad?"

"Thuban has seen Scabbers nosing around Black Hall," Ron calmly stated.

"Damn," Charlie whispered.

"We all have some planning to do," Lucius said before he kissed the foreheads of Cam and Serpens giving them a whispered, "I love you." As he turned to the door, he spotted the cot where Leo lay and presented the same gifts to his youngest grandson before leaving the small house.

Molly's eyes watered as she watched the actions of the former Death Eater. How could a man who killed and tortured so many people feel an emotion like "LOVE"? Moreover, what possessed him to show such sentiment in front of them?

----------*********----------

"No, I will not remain locked up in this house. I'm a capable witch. Plus with the bodyguards you and Lucius have watching me, no one could get within three meters," Ginny folded her arms in front of her chest and snapped at her husband.

"Ginevra," Draco growled back. "I'm not asking you to remain locked up. I merely feel for the boys safety and your own, you should stay in here for the next couple of days. If Wormtail did come here, then there are other Death Eaters alive with whom he is working. I'm sure they are after you."

"Maybe it's you they are after, Draco. Maybe they've learned that you helped kill Voldemort and they want you," she fired back.

"Wormtail was at the final battle. He's known for years that Father and I caused his downfall. It's not me they are after, Love. It's you or it's the boys or it's all of you."

"He's right, Ginny," Charlie added before handing Molly a cup of tea and sitting next to her.

"Maybe he just found help!" Ginny spouted.

"If they are after Draco you're still in more danger than him." Ron walked over to his sister and placed his arm around her. "We're talking about Death Eaters, Ginny. The Prophet has been showing the wizarding world that Malfoy's deeply in love with you." Ron stiffened at his own words, "Death Eaters destroy what you love before kill…"

"Enough!" Draco shouted as he noticed both women starting to go pale.

The same thoughts ran through both Molly and Ginny's minds. At the end of the second war, details of how Death Eaters tortured and then killed the children and wives of wizards they viewed as traitors were very extensive. Many ex-Death Eaters remained in St. Mungo's having been driven insane by being forced to witness the suffering of their families.

Draco quickly slipped his arms around Ginny and kissed her forehead. "Don't let your mind take you there, Gin."

----------**********----------

The kitchen at number twelve Grimmauld Place was alive with noise once again. Professor McGonagall sat at the head of the table around which sat Remus, Ron, Arthur, Molly, Bill, a couple of aurors, Hermione, Ginny, Draco, Narcissa, Lucius and Snape. Behind her hang a portrait of Albus Dumbledore. All talking ceased when Charlie entered the room with a Daily Prophet in his hand.

"Alecto and Amycus Carrow were spotted outside of Godric's Hollow two days ago," Charlie said. "Professor Snape, would Pettigrew work with them?"

"We believed that they and Wormtail were consumed by the fire in the woods during the final battle. Now I'm sure they have been together all along," Lucius stated.

"Then why would they come out now?" Ron asked.

"Likely Bellatrix called them," Lucius added.

"Why would they help her with her plans?" Ron questioned.

"Because they believe in the prophecies," Snape answered.

"You can't be talking about the silly statement made at Ginny's naming?" Bill inquired.

"Ah, I remember that day well. Sybill was in good form. 'She is a special witch. She will have powers greater than most. She will be fortunate enough to marry her soul mate and her many sons will be the leaders of our world.'" Dumbledore's portrait stated ending with a wink in Ginny's direction.

"You believe it then?" Charlie questioned.

"I do not believe in prophecies. Divination is an art form not a science. Many wizards have made prophecies come true because they believed them. Tom Riddle made Harry Potter his rival by his actions at the same time giving Harry the power to defeat him twice. Tom made this mistake again after he pulled this prophecy from the memory of an auror. 'Only two can stop the rise of the Dark Lord. One is born of his enemy at the end of July. The other is born as the summer begins. He will be the only child and son of one of his closest followers and the only nephew of another.' He believed this to be about Draco and Harry and set out to kill Draco. By doing so, he turned Lucius against him, which led to his final defeat." Dumbledore's portrait smiled at the group.

"So, the Dark Lord caused his own downfall. What does that have to do with the prophecy made at Ginny's naming?" Ron asked.

"Peter, Alecto and Amycus believe prophecies and the one made at your sister's naming is only one of four that they believe is about Ginny. The second that many know is, 'She will be the seventh child and only daughter. She will be the first witch born in her family for seven generations. She will marry her soul mate and their sons will have powers like no others. They will lead our world into a thousand years of light.' For years, Tom believed both prophecies were about Ginny and Harry. These prophecies were the reason many wanted Draco and Ginny to unite, some believing they were stopping the prophecies.

Although a few knew of two other prophecies and they believed they were fulfilling them. Many years ago before the defeat of the Dark Wizard Grindelwald, Cassandra Trelawney made these prophecies: 'For seven generations, each generation of his house will have only one child, a son. His blood is the purest. His family is of nobles. He will stop a war and take no credit. He will marry below him in the eyes of many. Her family is poor but her blood as pure as his. She is the seventh child and only witch born to her family in seven generations. Their second son will be the heir of his paternal grandmother's house, he will have powers that no other wizard can equal.'

'Two rivaling families will be joined by a forced marriage. The sons of this union will rule our world.'" The portrait paused.

"Bellatrix believes those to be about Ginevra and Draco," Narcissa stated flatly. "That is why she wants Cygnus."

"She'll never get my Cam!" Ginny vowed. "He has seen her for who she really is."

"We will not lose Cygnus to anyone," Narcissa added.

"If Bellatrix and the others knew of those prophecies earlier why did they wait until now to act?" Hermione asked.

"They believed that Ginevra had little to do with raising the children and influencing their views. To put it simply, they thought the boys would deem purity of blood about all else. However, the Daily Prophet is now showing a different story. I presume they want to eliminate Ginevra from the children's lives so she does not make them…" Lucius paused searching for the right words.

"Their afraid they will become Muggle loving Malfoys," Charlie spat.

"For lack of better words, yes." Lucius nodded.

"You would like that wouldn't you? Getting us out of the way, so you could influence them again," Arthur hissed.

"I want for nothing more than my son and grandsons to be happy. Without Ginevra, they will have no happiness. I will give my life to keep her safe," Lucius replied.

"We can protect our own, thank you very much," Bill hissed.

Lucius smirked, "Well, that's a rub isn't it. Because your own are my own also."

"Thank Merlin, we agree," McGonagall interjected. "We need to keep Ginny and the boys safe until those three Death Eaters are caught. You need to change any plans you had for the week, Draco and Ginny. Pettigrew likely heard them." She turned to Lucius. "I believe you should let Bellatrix know that your son his learned about Pettigrew, Lucius. I'm sure she already knows of him and maybe helping them."

"Should we try to set a trap for Bellatrix?" Hermione asked.

"She is too wise a witch. It's best to watch her closely," McGonagall said.

"Professor McGonagall," Draco started. "I have a feeling that whoever killed Harry is behind all of this."

"I have the same feeling myself, Draco," Dumbledore's portrait replied. "I fear this is all done in hopes of creating another Dark Lord."

"My sons will never become Dark wizards," Draco intensely replied.

----------**********----------

"They started building my tree house today," Cam excitedly told his parents as they tucked him into bed. "It's going to be great but nothing I get will top Serpens' dragon," he added sadly.

"Maybe not, Cam, but one large toy dragon is enough for any house," Ginny stated.

"I know Mummy. I wouldn't want a dragon anyway. A puppy would be nice, or an Aethonon, or a Grindylow for the castle moat."

"No, to all of those, son," Draco firmly told the boy.

"What about a Griffin, Mummy?"

"What about a nice Pygmy Puff?" Ginny replied.

Cam turned up his nose. "That's a baby's pet!"

"I had one when I was fourteen."

"They're baby and girl pet. No respectable wizard would have one. Serpens' still little so it's alright for him."

Draco turned again in order to hide a laugh. Once he had control, he turned to face his son. "Showing us you can take care of a creature who needs less attention may decrease your wait for a puppy."

"What about a lizard, snake or spider?"

"What is it with wizards and creepy slimy things?" Ginny sighed

"What is it with witches and cute cuddly things like cats and kneazles?" Cam replied with a touch of distain in his voice.

Draco placed a kiss on the boy's forehead and whispered. "Taking that tone with your mother is more likely to get you a sore bottom than the pet of your choice."

Cam's eyes widened but he quickly changed his expression to one of sorrow. "I'm sorry, Mummy. I love you." When she leaned over to kiss him, he hugged her then kissed both of her cheeks.

"I love you too, baby. Sleep tight."

"Love you, mate. See you in the morning."

Draco placed his arm around Ginny's hip and guided her through the boy's chambers to the hallway. She giggled while Draco rolled his eyes at the sight in front of them. Ami, Serpens' toy dragon, was patrolling the hallway.

"Just what I need, to hear that thing walking the halls all night," Draco sighed.

She playfully patted his shoulder. "It's cute." She looked at the dragon, "Ami, lie down."

The dragon instantly went to the front of Serpens' door and lay down. Ginny giggled and cuddled into Draco's chest.

He raised his brow at her. "Your mood has changed greatly since this morning. You'd think a witch who hours ago learned that at least four Death Eaters were out to kill her would be a little less chipper."

"Hours ago I believed Death Eaters were out for revenge and were after our children."

"Good point."

"Also we have plans now and more help. Worrying about keeping myself safe, I've been through before. It's scary but familiar," Ginny sighed.

"You're one up on me then, Love." He pulled her closer. "Last time I had to keep my mother safe. This time it's my wife I have to protect. The magnitude of the difference is staggering."

He turned her to face him, "I will not lose you!" he stated before gently kissing her.

----------**********----------

Lucius strolled into Bellatrix's parlor. "I have a few things to tell, you. First, inform Wormtail if he even scratches another one of my grandsons I will kill him.

"Wormtail? Lucius, what are you talking about?"

"He bit Thuban's ear. He's been in Black Hall as a rat. Thuban pointed a picture of him out to the Weasleys."

"I know nothing of it, Lucius," she stated.

"Do you also know nothing of the Carrows?"

"Only what I read in the paper."

"Well, if you do come across any of them, inform them of two things," he gave her a pointed look, "I will kill anyone who dares to harm my grandsons or son." He then smirked at her, "However, I would like to help in the displacement of my daughter-in-law."

----------**********----------

The ballroom of Black Hall was decorated in a Quidditch theme. It was a big boy's party for sure. Draco had felt a little outdone at Serpens' party because of Lucius' gift and Charlie's bringing a couple of real dragons and some of his dragon-trainer friends. He wasn't going to have it happen again. Cam's top four favorite professional Quidditch players were at this party, guests who would impress many of the adult wizards.

Although nothing strange had happened since the Carrows and Wormtail were spotted, the family was still on alert. All of the waiters at the party were Aurors or private guards. There was also a number of guards posing as guests.

Draco stood holding Leo at the back of the room talking to Blaise and Pansy. Serpens was standing on a chair next to his father. He was trying to switch Draco's attention to him from the little red-haired demon he perceived his baby brother to be. Thuban, Greggie, Victor, Gabe and Sirius watched the group from the patio.

Thuban rolled up his left shelve showing the group a black and blue spot with teeth marks around it, "Serpens bit me there." He pulled up his right pant leg and showed another, "And there too, two days ago. So, I'm going to get him back today!"

Greggie shook his head. "Don't do it, Thuban."

"I agree. Your dad's already spanked him that's good enough," Gabe added.

"That's the problem. Daddy doesn't spank Serpens. When I told Daddy that he bit my arm, Daddy asked what I did to him first. Then that night, Serpens bit me in front of Daddy and he only sat Serpens on his lap and told him to behave."

"Oh!" the four little wizards stated.

"Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to put Serpens' blanket in the cradle. Daddy won't look at it closely when he lays Leo down and then Leo'll use it. Then I'll tell Serpens that Leo Accio'd his blanket. He'll go take it away, setting off the wards," Thuban giggled into his hands. "Daddy will spank him for sure then."

"Will the wards go off when you put the blanket in?" Sirius asked.

"Nope, they only work when the baby is in it."

The sneaking little blond walked over to the cradle to set his plan in motion. However, from across the room Lucius watched his eldest grandson. When the blanket was placed, the older wizard walked closer. He could tell by the boy's mannerisms he was up to something and it wasn't long before he watched it play out. Draco placed Leo in the cradle and covered him with the blanket, then Thuban whispered something to Serpens who ran to the cradle.

The three year old wildly pulled the blanket from around and under the baby causing Leo to roll into the side of the cradle crashing his little nose into the bars. Leo's screams drowned out the light sounds of the wards. Lucius rushed to aide. Draco turned to see Serpens holding the blanket and the cradle swinging violently. He cast a spell stopping the swinging. At the sound of Leo's cries, Thuban and his group took to hiding behind a table. Thuban hadn't thought his little brother would be so forceful in removing the blanket. He wanted to make sure Leo was fine but couldn't risk exposing himself.

"Serpens William Malfoy, what has gotten into you?" Draco hissed in a very dangerous tone as he checked the baby for injuries and comforted him.

"Was Leo harmed, Draco?" Lucius asked.

"More frightened then actually harmed, Father." He handed the infant to his father and took Serpens' hand. "Serpens and I need to have a discussion in my study. Please inform Ginevra for me."

"Leo started it!" Serpens shouted.

"Don't be ridiculous," Draco hissed.

"He had my blanket!" Serpens shouted holding up the item.

Draco eyed it. "How'd that get in…"

"You have more than one culprit in this crime, Son. I believe…" Lucius pointed to where Thuban was hiding catching the boy's eye. "Thuban set this up."

The little wizard was not foolish enough to wait to be called or to deny his actions. He was caught and would share a trip to his father's study with his brother. As he walked over to the men, he saw something that would save him. Bellatrix was talking to his mummy and brother and she wasn't looking too happy.

"Daddy, Aunt Bella's here and she's…" The rest of Thuban's words weren't needed. Seeing Bellatrix set Draco in motion.

Lucius still holding Leo, turned to his grandsons. "You two are indeed lucky. If you were still living under my roof, my cane would be gracing your bottoms now."

"You'd spank me for making him cry?" Serpens pointed at Leo. "He's more Weasley than Malfoy. He only has Daddy's eyes. I'm more important than him."

"Sit!" Lucius growled at the three year old. "Leo is a Malfoy! Anyone who dares harm a Malfoy will answer to me, even if they are family."

"But Daddy promised Mummy he…. Not… you…" Serpens tried to say.

"I will be discussing your statement and your actions with your father. He will punish you to my satisfaction. Now, both of you sit until your father returns."

Across the room, Cam backed into Ginny as Bellatrix moved forward.

"Come now, Cygnus. I merely want a hug. I have not seen you in so long."

"He's simply overtired, Bellatrix. He was too excited to sleep last night and he's a little out of sorts," Ginny replied with a smile although she refused to force the boy to hug his great aunt.

The dark haired witch knelt in front of him. "Did you receive the wizard's chess pieces I gave you for your birthday?"

Cam only nodded.

"They were your great grandfather's. I thought it was time you had them."

"I'm glad you could make it, Aunt Bella." Draco said as he stepped need to Ginny. He kissed his aunt's cheek.

"Oh Draco dear, it's wonderful to see you. Cygnus has yet to greet me properly."

With his father so close, Cam felt safe enough to give the old witch a very quick hug.

"Well, at least that's a start, Cygnus," she half hissed before sweetening her tone. "I'd love to hear what else you've received for your birthday."

"Grandfather and Grandmother had a big tree house built for me by the guest house. They loaded it was tons of different toys too. Daddy took me to a Falcon's game all by myself and we got to go into the locker room. I got lots of great new toys but the best was a Quidditch set from Uncle George and Fred."

"How exciting," Bella replied. "Would you play a game of chess with me or show me your tree house?"

"I'd rather play with my friends. Daddy can show you the tree house." Cam turned to Ginny. "May I please go play with my friends, Mummy?"

Ginny did her best to hide her smirk. Two months ago, Cam would have run to Bella. He had considered her one of his best friends and playmates. The boy was finally seeing her for what she was. However, he was being rude. She smiled at the dark haired witch.

"I'm sorry, Bella. As I said before he is overly tired." She returned her attention to the boy. "You're being rude to your aunt, Cam."

"I'm sorry, Aunt Bella. Maybe we can go to the tree house or play chess later. I have other commitments," the little wizard stated then quickly hugged the older witch before running off.

"He's outgrowing all of us. May I get you a drink?" Draco said trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"No thank you, Draco," Bella said coldly. "It's on my way to Narcissa."

She went off in a huff. About eight steps away she turned to a small voice.

"I'll play chess with you," John Lupin said.

"Why Cepheus, it's so lovely to see you. I'd enjoy a game of chess."

----------**********----------

Bellatrix stomped across the room. "That red-haired fool has turned Cygnus against me with her lies. The time to act is now."

"But how? They are guarded so closely," Alecto asked.

"Mary Goyle. They trust her."

"And for good reason, Bella. She will never help us," Amycus replied.

Bellatrix showed the group three bottles with hair in them. "She already has without even knowing. You have Polyjuice at the ready?"

"As you requested," they replied.

----------**********----------

Mary Goyle's head floated in the fireplace of Ginny's private parlor. "I really could use your help in planning Gary's birthday party. Lavender and Greg…well, they are hopeless. They were fighting over everything merely to upset each other. It's been ages since I've planned a child's party. You may bring the children over if you like. Gary and Greggie are here."

Ginny thought for a moment. It had been a month since Thuban thought he spotted Scabbers and the aurors had spotted the Carrows. No one had seen or heard a thing about them since. Surely, the Goyle estate was a safe place to go. She would floo Draco and let him know and just to be safe she would bring Preston, her bodyguard.

"I'd be glad to help, Mary. I'll be over in twenty minutes."

"Wonderful dear, I'll be waiting in the garden," the older witch replied before her head disappeared.

Draco wasn't in his office, so she sent him an owl. She thought briefly about bringing the boys but dismissed the idea. Thuban and Greggie had been fighting lately, Cam's behavior this morning didn't warrant a fun trip and, in addition, if the children went, she would have to bring two more bodyguards.

She walked into the playroom with Preston right behind her. "Mum, Preston and I are going to the Goyle estate for a couple of hours."

"I want to go too, Mummy," Serpens said as he and his brothers ran over to Ginny.

"Not this time, sweetheart."

Thuban pulled a coin out of his pocket. "Here, Mummy. Rub it if you need help."

"Thank you." She replied before kissing each of her sons goodbye.

She walked back to Preston and took his arm. Since the sighting of the Death Eaters, Draco had insisted that Ginny always use side along Apparition or a portkey. The two were quickly in the gardens at the Goyle estate where Mary poured each a cup of tea.

----------*********-----------

"Uncle Draco, do you know where Cam's uncles got that neat Quidditch set?" Gary asked from across the table.

Draco was enjoying lunch at a lovely café with Greg and his sons. "No I don't and if I did I wouldn't tell you. Don't look for it, Greg. Despite the bludgers and bats being made of foam they still do quite a bit of damage. Cam and Serpens decided to hit the bludgers around the china cupboard the other day. A number of items were well behind any Reparo charm."

Without thinking little Greggie spoke, "How dumb! Thuban and I went to the ballroom."

"Well that explains the crack in one of the glass domes," Draco replied eyeing the little wizard.

Gary shook his head. "Ami did that, Uncle Draco. Serpens had him flying around the room."

Greg smirked at his friend. "Mother told me that only children were easier to raise."

"If my three eldest don't start behaving, I may end up with only one," Draco replied with a stoney expression. It wasn't long through before the shocked looks on his godsons' faces caused him to break into laughter.

"I was only joking, mates. No one's ever died from a sore bottom."

Greggie rubbed his bottom briefly then mumbled. "I think it's possible."

"If you behave you'll never find out." Greg stated flatly to the boy.

"Yes, Sir."

Draco patted the little wizard's back and when the boy looked up, he smiled and winked at him. "Hey, mate, Thuban told me you've signed up for the cross-pitch league."

The boy smiled back. "Mummy's going to take me every day. And Grandpa Brown said he'll take me to lunch after each match too."

Ginny's eagle owl flew onto Draco's shoulder stopping the conversion. He removed the note and immediately paled. He dropped the note on the table and Disapparated.

"Daddy, what's wrong?" Gary asked.

Gregg picked up the note.

Draco,

I'm going to the Goyle estate to help Mary plan Gary's party. I'm taking Preston with me. She invited the boys seeing that she's watching Greggie and Gary, but I'm leaving them at home with my mum. I'll floo or owl you when I return home.

Love,

Gin.

Gregg grabbed his sons placing one on each hip. "Hang on tight boys. I need to get you to Aunt Pansy."

"Cool, you've never Apparated with both of us," Greggie gleefully replied.

----------**********----------

The coin in Lucius' pocket started to heat up. Instead of looking at it, he decided to floo Black Hall. Bursting in on the Weasleys once was enough; he would make sure there was a problem today.

"Black Hall," he said as he threw floo powder into the fireplace. His head appeared in the fireplace of Draco's family parlor. "Simpy!" The house elf turned to the fireplace and bowed. "I need to speak to Master Thuban, now!"

The house elf wasted no time and returned shortly with Thuban followed by Molly.

"Simpy said you wanted to speak with me, Grandfather."

Lucius looked closely at the boy. He appeared to be happy. However, he needed to make sure and with Molly so close the boy might not be able to speak freely. "I wanted to inform you that Delta jumped out of the paddock this morning." The older blond wizard hoped Thuban remembered their code. He had used it with both Narcissa and Draco during the war. If Thuban responded, "Is she hurt?" it would mean that there was a problem.

The little wizard appeared perplexed for a few moments before smiling. "Oh, she's fine, correct. Is that why you flooed?"

"I merely had a free moment and wished to speak with you. Have you been behaving yourself?"

"Yes. Serpens and Cam have been bad but not me. Did you get my birthday list?"

"Of course, although you do understand pets have to be cleared with your parents."

Thuban kicked the floor and sighed, "Rats." He looked up at Lucius with a pouted. "Well, I need new Quidditch pads then."

"Very well. Thuban, the coin I gave you. Do you keep it on you at all times?"

"Most of the time, I give it to Mummy when she goes out. Grandfather, Uncle Charlie's here and we were teaching Ami lots of new tricks. I don't want to be rude but may we talk later?"

Lucius was thankful for the boy's distraction as he was wondering how to put an end to their conversion without worrying the little boy. "We'll speak later, Thuban." As the boy ran away, Lucius cleared his throat. "I needed a moment of your time, Mrs. Weasley."

As Molly approached the fireplace, Lucius removed the coin from his pocket and made note of the location written on it before throwing it into the parlor of Black Hall. "I fear Ginevra is in danger. You should be able to locate her at the address on the coin." Before Molly could reply, the blond wizard was gone.

----------**********----------

Ginny opened her eyes. The room she was in was dark and damp. It had to be a dungeon, but where? The last thing she remembered was tea with Mary Goyle. She felt for her wand but only found the coin Thuban had given her. She assumed it was how the boy had contacted Lucius weeks ago. However, did she want to contact him? He surely wouldn't help her.

"Where are the boys?" She heard a voice ask from outside the door.

"She didn't bring them," answered the whining voice of Peter Pettigrew.

"Then torture her until she gives you the incantations to remove the wards around Black Hall," the voice growled again.

Ginny was almost sure that voice belonged to Bellatrix attempting to sound like Mary Goyle. Her thoughts went to her children. She hoped she wouldn't speak but couldn't be sure. Lucius might want her dead, but he would never allow the boys to be harmed. With little hope that he would save her, she rubbed the coin knowing he would save his grandsons. Twenty feet above her, Draco and Blaise searched the Goyle estate.

"We'll find her, mate. She'll be fine," Blaise said trying to calm his friend.

"She better be. Damned Death Eaters and their secret tunnels and dungeons," Draco cursed.

Crabbe and Goyle ran up to the two wizards.

"How's your mum, Greg?" Blaise asked.

"She'll be fine. There it is." Greg pointed to a knob on a black tree. When he pressed it, a door opened on it. The four wizards with their wands out went inside.

----------*********-----------

Lucius Apparated into the secret dungeons. This place still smelled like death to him and the screams of his old victims haunted him. He had hoped never to enter this place again. As he rounded a corner, he heard the witless voices of Wormtail and the Carrows and then Ginny's blood curdling screams.

He placed his hand on the knob and opened the door. The occupants of the room stared at him before the three Death Eaters pointed their wands at him.

"Here, here. Is that anyway to greet an old friend?" Lucius shook his head. "Torturing my lovely daughter-in-law without me, how could you?" He smirked at the group and they lowered their wands.

Ginny's robes were gone; she remained in jeans and a t-shirt and was held to the wall with chains. Her clothing showed the curves of her body well. Lucius looked at her lustfully and turned to his friends.

"She looks like a tasty little tart. I see now why my son keeps her around. Maybe I'll have a taste of her myself." He approached Ginny with a sinful smirk and to her shock ground his pelvis into hers.

"Bastard!" she screamed before spitting into his face.

"Well spotted," he replied as she felt something entering her pants. Her horror changed to hope as she felt the item he was placing go to the front of her leg. It was her old school wand. At the same time, she noticed his sexually seductive motions against her were not arousing him. She gasped. He was going to help her.

She worked her legs and lightly kicked him away, although she acted as if it was a powerful one. "Slimy Prick!"

Lucius played again and rubbed his groin. "You'll pay for that!" he yelled then mouthed scream. He raised his wand and cast a spell which caused her no pain but she screamed as he'd instructed her to do. He brushed up against her again. "Be good this time!" he stated loudly before whispering so only Ginny could hear. "Have you strength to Disapparate?"

"Yes"

"The chain will release you when you tug both hands at the same time now. I will distract them in a few moments. You will free yourself and Apparate to Black Hall."

"You'll need my…"

"Damn it, witch. Do as you are told. You will be no help to me in your state. Besides I have help coming very soon."

Ginny acted as if she kicked him again. This time Lucius walked back to the group. "Wormtail, ready the bed need door. I want some private time with my daughter-in-law."

Wormtail left the room but Alecto lifted her wand. "I can't let you take her anywhere alone until we have Cygnus. You have promised him to Bellatrix."

Amycus yelled, "Traitor" raising his wand at Lucius when he heard the Disapparation pop and stared at the place where Ginny once stood. As their curses left their wands, the door opened knocking the Carrows aside causing their spells only to graze Lucius.

"Thank you, Draco," Lucius said. "You saved this old wizard's life."

"Merely repaying a debt, Father," he replied as his friends unarmed and bound the Carrows. Draco looked around the room panicked. "Where's Gin?"

"At Black Hall, if she did as she was told."

Draco Disapparated.

A wand blast and a loud squeal from the hall drew Lucius' attention to the door. Ron walked in with a cage in his hand and his five brothers and father behind him.

"Where's Ginny?" Arthur asked.

"Home." Blaise stated.

"More Aurors will be here soon to take those two. And of course we'll have questions for everyone here," Ron said as the caged rat continued to squeal. "Well, you shut it already. I know who you are." Ron turned to the group. "Mental this one is really, trying to get by me, of all people, as a rat."