Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Author's notes:

A special thank you to Marcia for her wonderful work and outstanding beta skills. Also I'd like to thank all of my reviewers, your comments keep me writing.

The website www.geocities.com/dagforever01 has a picture of the bare chest, which Ginny loves to touch.

Turn and Face the Strange Cha Cha Changes

Mary Goyle walked into the rose garden at Malfoy Manor with her two grandsons in tow. Narcissa and her little grandsons stood and welcomed their guests. The older witches tried for a short time to calm the five little wizards down but quickly realized it has beyond their control. It had been a long time since the group had played together and they were close friends, so the witches allowed the boys to play in the garden while they enjoyed tea.

"How are you doing, Mary?" Narcissa asked.

"Oh, as well as can be expected, Narcissa. This annulment business is very wearisome. But at least it gives me more time with the boys. I miss seeing them everyday." Mary exhaled. "And I don't think Lavender is feeding them enough. You can see little Gary's ribs."

Narcissa looked at the four year old. He had always been pudgy like his father had been in his youth but the boy was thin now. "It's likely caused by the upset of all the changes, Mary. Lucius and I have seen a number of changes in our bo… Draco's boys." Narcissa smiled at the other witch. "Hopefully, Greg and Lavender work out their differences soon and establish a new routine for the boys."

"I can only hope so, Narcissa."

Thuban and Greggy ran around the garden paths as the rain fell outside. Greggy grabbed the door handle to the outside and looked back at their grandmothers. The women were busy with their conversion.

"Let's go play in the rain. They aren't watching," Greggy stated, "If we go around the corner, I'm sure we can play outside for awhile. You can order a house elf to dry our clothes when we come inside and they won't find out."

"I'd love play in the rain too. But if we get caught Grandmother will make me take Pepperup Potion and put me in bed. I'll miss my lessons with Professor Milkens. When Grandfather comes home, he'll ask why I'm in bed and then spank me for not listening to Grandmother. Also, Professor Milkens will floo my dad to reschedule my lesson." Thuban shook his head and rubbed his bottom. "It isn't worth it. My dad gets really really mad when I don't behave for Grandmother."

"Really? My grandmother would just give me a time out," Greggy said.

Thuban gave his friend a baffled look. "Only a time out?"

"Yep, Grandmother doesn't punish us much now. She thinks we're sad enough about our mum and dad getting nulled. But it's not bad. It's good really. They used to row all the time over which one of them had to watch us. Then they'd drop us off with Grandmother. Now, they are fighting over which one of them gets to spend the most time with us. That's why they're in court again."

"Really, they are fighting over you now?" Thuban was shocked. Aunt Lav was nice and everything but she thought of herself first and not her boys. Greggy's daddy was the same way.

Greggy nodded and looked at his friend. "Grandmother, Granddad, and Grandmum are always giving us things too. Granddad is teaching me to play Wizard Chess and Exploding Snap. And my dad said I could go to Quidditch trials with him and I can bring my broom too!"

"My daddy said Cam and I could watch his training," Thuban's face showed disappointment, "but he never said I could go to the trials or take my broom."

"That's because your parents aren't nulled." Greggy puffed proudly. "If they were nulled, he'd be doing anything he could to make you love him better than your mum."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, my daddy now spends a lot of time with us. He takes us lots of places like Quidditch matches. He even took us to Zabini's restaurant for dinner Friday. Aunt Pansy and Uncle Blaise played with us while we were there." Greggy took a golden Gobstone out of his pocket. "I won this from Uncle Blaise." He put it back in his pocket. "We started to ask Mum if we can go with Dad all the time. To stop us from asking, she started to take us places too," Greggy informed. "I like nulled. They row when they see each other but they don't see each other that much. And me and Gary have gotten a lot of new toys and lots more attention from them."

"I don't think I'd like nulled. I like having both Dad and Mum tucking me in at night. I wish they'd snog less. That takes up a lot of their time. Sometimes when we're flying, one of them will fly by and kiss the other. Then we have to all land so they can snoggle." The little boy shook his head. "I wish they'd stop that. Flying is more fun then kissing."

They looked over at their brothers playing with stuffed dragons. "I can't believe Cam still plays baby games," Greggy said.

"Well, you're not a big wizard until you're five and he still has two months to go." Thuban pointed to a corner of the garden far away from them. "I'll race you around the Peach Blossoms and back." The boys nodded and ran off.

"My Uncle Charlie works with dragons. He's going to give me one for my birthday," Serpens informed Gary Goyle.

"Wow, can I play with it?" Gary asked.

"He's not getting you a dragon. Uncle Charlie said, 'I'll look into it.' But if we still lived at the Manor, Daddy and Grandfather would get you a dragon cause Mummy wouldn't have a say," Cam interjected.

"Grandmother said No, too, Cam"

"That wouldn't matter. It would be two against one because Mummy doesn't have a vote here."

"You should have your parents get nulled," Gary said. "You get lots more things. They get you whatever you want and take you wherever you want to go, so you love them more." He smiled at Serpens. "And they don't talk to each other. So you can get double sickles and candy. I really like it."

"But who tucks you in at night?" Serpens asked.

"Grandmum Brown or Grandmother Goyle, the same as always."

"But Mummy and Daddy tuck me in. If they get nulled then only one can do it," the little wizard stated sadly.

"So, what!" said Cam. "You'll have a dragon and anything else you want. Think about it, loads and loads of Sugar Quills."

------******------

Ginny lay on the Healer's exam table. What's taking so long? I'm not ill. Wasn't an hour of going over the details of each of my pregnancies enough for this woman? Ginny's anger was growing steadily. She was sure Draco, that git, was behind this. He must have flooed or owled the Healer. If they run one more test, I'll hex them into next week. If I didn't get home soon, I'll have to pump. Merlin, I'm full of milk! The door opened and the Healer walked inside.

She looked at Ginny with bafflement and then handed her a potion bottle. "You're case is very puzzling, Mrs. Malfoy. Physically, you're in better shape then you were before your last son's birth. But magically there is a problem, no doubt about that. I can't find a reason for it either. Your magic is a little weaker then it was Friday at your mid-witches appointment. I'd like you to bring your husband in with you Thursday. Your magic has to be going somewhere."

"My husband hasn't cursed me to steal my powers," Ginny argued.

"I don't think he stole them, Mrs. Malfoy. But you are aware that when a witch goes into labor, her magic is conferred to the father of the child for a time." Ginny nodded. "Well, maybe something has gone wrong."

"Do you think someone has cursed me?" Ginny asked.

"There are no curses or hexes on you. The potion will prevent any more loss of your powers." She smiled at Ginny. "There isn't anything to worry about. But I do think this is related to your last pregnancy so I would advise you to keep using your birth control ring. There's no telling what would happen to your magic if you became pregnant again right now."

"I was hoping to go to Quidditch trials on Tuesday. Is that possible?" Ginny inquired.

"That would be an excellent idea, Mrs. Malfoy. I'm positive that your magical problems are not related to physical labor. You need to continue living your life as normally as possible. Your magical abilities are so strong, you'll still be able to perform all of your normal spells."

------******------

Bellatrix walked down a dark narrow hallway, her wand her only light. She touched the knob and a secret door opened. With a quick spell she lit up the room. Walking quickly, she went into Ginny's dressing room and put a bracelet with a dragon charm along with a four leaf clover pair of earrings into the jewelry box.

------******------

Ginny's mind raced as she walked out of the Healer's office. She didn't want to go back to the Manor right now but she wanted the comfort and peace that nursing the baby would bring her. She used her two way mirror to contract Draco and Apparated into the lobby of the Diagon Alley Malfoy offices just as Megan, Lucius' assistant came out of the lift. "Mrs. Malfoy, Draco has just returned with Leo. He is a beautiful baby."

"Thank you, Megan." Ginny said as she entered the lift. She whispered the password and the lift quickly made its way to the top floor. She smiled at the scene taking place outside her husband's office. A number of witches were cooing over her youngest son while Draco proudly showed off the very awake baby. No one noticed her until she touched his arm.

"Ginny, love. I have tea waiting for us in my office. Mother says he's been up for the last hour looking around."

"He is always awake for a couple of hours around three," Ginny said.

Hearing his mother's voice reminded Leo of his hunger and he started to fuss. Draco let his son suck on his little finger and headed into his office with his wife. Ginny sat on the settee and Draco handed her Leo. He started for his desk. "Draco, sit with us, please." Ginny patted the space next to her and he complied. She snuggled up against him as their son nursed. Leo looked into his mother's eyes as he fed. The sounds of his suckling calmed her and she relaxed for the first time since leaving the Healer's.

Draco sensed his wife's anxiety and allowed her to bask in the comfort that his love and Leo's brought her. He kissed her forehead and pulled her close. "He's a charmer, that one," Draco whispered.

"Yes, he's a natural. You didn't have to teach him," she giggled.

"What are you implying, witch?"

"Thuban's kissing Harriet's hand. Whose idea was that?"

"Not mine, Love. I believe it was Blaise's doing."

Ginny burped Leo and Draco took his son into his arms. The baby was still awake staring at his father. Draco talked animatedly to him. "Daddy thinks he needs to come into the office early, so he can leave at four, not five. Yes, that way he gets to play with you."

"We'd all like to see you at home by four but I think you're dreaming," Ginny sighed.

He kissed her softly on the lips. "Then it's done, at least Tuesday through Thursday. I've got about forty minutes worth of work to complete today before I can go. Would you like to stay here and wait for me?"

"Yes, I don't feel like going to the Manor without you. Honey, I do have something to tell you."

Draco placed Leo in his baby chair and then pulled Ginny close into his chest. "What is it, love?"

"Well, physically I'm fine, but for some unknown reason my magical power is decreasing. The Healer wants you to come to my appointment Thursday. She thinks maybe you're getting my powers. Something went wrong in my recovery from Leo's birth. They keep assuring me it's a minor problem and I should go ahead with normal activies. But I have a bad feeling about this." Ginny started to cry a little. "I keep thinking someone has cursed me to remove my power slowly. Without my powers how can I protect myself or our children?"

"Keeping you and the boys safe is my responsibility. Trust me, love, I won't let anything happen to you. The Healer checked for curses and hexes, correct?"

"Yes Draco, she checked." She smiled at him. "I trust you but I'd like to be able to protect myself. Do you think this is your father's doing?"

"I don't think… Ginny, did you tell the Healer about Riddle's diary?"

"Yes. It isn't anything like that. It would have shown up as a curse anyway. And well, I can tell this is different." Draco looked at her questioningly. "I'm sure, Draco."

"What do you want to tell my parents?"

Ginny thought for a minute before giggling. "I'll tell them it's a nutrition problem and I merely need to take vitamins. Our mums are always telling me I don't eat properly."

------******------

Lucius walked into the small classroom which was located next to the library. It saddened him that Thuban would not be schooled here like every Malfoy heir had been for the last five hundred years. Professor Milkens finished checking Thuban's paper and walked over to Lucius.

"Good evening, Mr. Malfoy. We've just finished for the day."

"Very good, Professor. I would like a quick word with you in my study."

"Certainly, Mr. Malfoy." Professor Milkens looked back at Thuban before leaving. "Read chapter ten for tomorrow and complete pages thirty-five through forty in your speller, Thuban."

"Yes, sir," Thuban answered. "Grandfather, how long to you plan on being? I have some things I'd like to show you before dinner."

"I'll meet you in the family parlor in twenty minutes. That will give you enough time to finish your speller."

Thuban closed the books and stood up.

"Thuban, complete your speller," Lucius instructed firmly.

"But Mummy and Daddy always let me finish it before bed."

"They are not here, so you will do as I say," Lucius flatly stated.

Thuban sat down and started on the speller. "I'm sorry for talking back, Grandfather. I'll complete my speller."

Ginny, Draco and the baby Apparated into the foyer of Malfoy Manor as Thuban came hurrying down the stairs with two house elves in tow. Tipsy was carrying his schoolbooks and an older male elf had two large backpacks.

He tried to rush past his parents. "Thuban, where are your manners?" Draco growled.

The little wizard turned and hugged Ginny. "Hello, Mummy." She knelt and he kissed her cheek. "I missed you, Mummy." Thuban offered Draco his hand. "Hi, Daddy. Can I go now? I want to show Grandfather all the things I collected yesterday."

Draco motioned with his hand and the boy walked away quickly. They followed him to the family parlor at a reduced pace. He was having the house elf unload the backpacks on the table in front of Lucius. To Thuban's annoyance, Lucius welcomed Draco and Ginny before returning his attention to his eldest grandson.

While Thuban was talking to Lucius, the other members of the family were conversing on the other side of the room.

"Grandpa Weasley spent hours with me in the pond and the fields. We collected all of these ingredients. Their field has everything and so does their pond. Uncle George and Uncle Fred get a lot of their things for their potions at the Burrow. They give Gabe a small box of fireworks for every three bottles of ingredients he collects. I decided to give you all of mine. They will last for a month so we can made all kinds of potions when I'm allowed to help again." The little boy stopped to take a breath. "I want to make a Wound-Cleaning Potion, a Shrinking Potion, a Photograph Potion, and

I have scarab beetles, ginger root and armadillo bile, so I can make a Wit-Sharpening Potion for Uncle Ron."

"Thuban!" Ginny scolded as she elbowed Draco causing him to conceal his mirth.

"But Mummy, Uncle Bill told Uncle Charlie that Uncle Ron was witless," Thuban said.

Ginny rolled her eyes and shook her hand. "They were teasing him, sweetie."

Thuban approached his mother with wide-eyed innocence. "Well, they didn't sound like they were teasing him, Mummy. Grandpa said that brothers know everything about each other. Plus, Gabe said Uncle Ron is always saying dumb things. I only want to help him."

"Giving him a potion isn't the type of help your Uncle Ron needs," Ginny stated.

He moped away. "I won't give him any, mummy, even though he needs it."

"Thuban, if you can't say anything nice about someone they don't say anything at all," Ginny scolded.

"Well, then I won't be talking about Uncle Ron much," he replied cheekily.

Lucius started coughing to hide his laughter. The boys openly laughed but to Ginny's surprise Draco barked, "Thuban, your mother told you to stop."

"I'm sorry, Mummy." Thuban returned his attention to his grandfather. "I had the best time at the Burrow. I can't wait to go back. Most of the people were really nice." He took a couple of bottles of black beetles over to Lucius. "Grandpa said I only need to put a spoonful of leftovers in here once a day and the beetles will live for months. Grandpa let me keep my frogs at his house for now. He's setting up a couple of tanks in my room Wednesday. He's going to teach me how to breed mudpuppies. Grandpa said…"

Ginny watched Lucius' face closely. She had to work very hard not to show her mirth. She never dreamed she would see the day Lucius Malfoy would be jealous of Arthur Weasley but she was seeing it now. Thuban went into a long speech about what his Grandpa Weasley and he had talked about and done while he was at the Burrow. It was very obvious that Thuban was enamored with the eldest Weasley wizard, much to the displeasure of the eldest Malfoy wizard. Ginny was keeping an ear on the conversion the two were having and shot up and over to confront Lucius instantly when she heard his statement, "Thuban, I think it is time you start learning to jump with your pony."

"Lucius, I believe that decision belongs to Draco and myself," Ginny stated firmly.

The room silenced instantly. While Ginny had stood up to Lucius before she had never been this firm with the senior wizard. Truth be told, Lucius was used to making most of the decisions about raising his grandsons. He didn't try to hide his annoyance with his daughter-in-law. "Thuban is an excellent rider, Ginevra. He placed in every show he was in last season. He is ready for show jumping."

"Really, or are you simply trying to compete with…" Ginny stopped herself. This wasn't the time or place. She knew Lucius was merely jealous and wanted to do whatever it took to become Thuban's favorite grandfather again. But her sons didn't need to hear that.

She walked back to Draco, who coxed her back onto the settee. "Ginny, I was competing in show jumping by six and a half. It's not out of line. Father will start him on the small pony first."

"I would like to discuss this with you at home first, Draco. I'm not comfortable with Thuban taking up jumping. Why can't he keep competing in standard equestrian riding?"

"But, I want to learn to jump, Mummy," Thuban said.

Ginny huffed at the men. "I will agree to discuss this with you at home, Draco. If someone doesn't put a stop to you wizards, you'll have him on the hunt when he's twelve."

Without thinking, Draco spoke, "He'll ride in his first hunt when he's ten."

Ginny bit her lower lip and hissed through her teeth. "Honey, we really need to talk at home!"

Draco smirked at her and kissed her cheek. "Father, we'll let you know our decision before we take the boys out on Friday night."

Cam folded his arms and sneered. Ginny turned to Narcissa. "Draco had forgotten, Narcissa, but we had already promised the boys dinner in the Diagon Alley Park Friday night." The boys smiled but Narcissa's face fell. "If you would like, we can drop them off for the evening around eight."

"That would be lovely, dear," Narcissa said with a smile.

A house elf come into the room and announced dinner. Ginny, Narcissa, and the children left the room first. Lucius stopped his son. "You're letting her make the decisions about your sons' upbringing?"

"I'm letting her have a say, Father. In the end, I will do what I think is best for my sons. Ginny is a reasonable witch."

------******------

Molly served boiled potatoes, chicken and ham pie and a salad to Sirius and Harriet. The children looked at their plates. "Tuck in, you two. We'll make ice cream for dessert if you do."

She walked over to the corner to retrieve pumpkin juice for the children and Sirius put a large amount of his salad into his pockets. She poured the juice and placed more salad on the little wizard's plate. "I believe your pockets are full, so you will have to eat it this time." Molly sat down and Arthur put down his newspaper with a chuckle as the little boy exhaled.

"You will learn as did Thuban, Cam and Serpens, that she can't be tricked." Arthur started to eat his dinner.

Harriet bounced in her seat. "Are the boys coming over tonight? Serpens knows lots of dragon stories and Cam was teaching me how to play Gobstones."

"I hope they don't come over. Thuban thinks he's so smart, Cam thinks he's better than us and Serpens is still a baby," Sirius spouted.

"You listen to Uncle Ron. They are nice boys." Harriet folded her arms and turned her nose up at her brother. "You never even played with Serpens."

"I don't need to," argued her brother. "They are just like their daddy. You can't trust Malfoys!"

"I couldn't agree more!" stated Ron from the backdoor of the kitchen with an ear-to-ear grin. A very happy Luna slapped his arm.

"They are Weasleys also," Arthur stated flatly.

"They're lovely children. Cam spends a little to much time with the Black sisters but Ginny is working on that," Luna added.

"I agree. Now Ronald, you will give the boys and Draco a chance. We can't change what happened in the past. We need to move forward," Molly scolded.

"Yes, Mum," Ron answered still grinning.

Arthur looked at his youngest son with great puzzlement. Why was the wizard still smiling?

Molly looked down at Luna's left hand and gasped. "Did he finally?" she started crying before the young couple answered.

"Yes, Mum. I asked Luna to marry me and she said yes."

The Weasleys congratulated the couple and sat them at the table. Sirius rolled his eyes at the goings on but Harriet was very excited about it.

"We're getting married in late August. My father is hoping for a large wedding. I'm planning on seven bridesmaids and I hope you will help me with the planning, Molly." Luna looked at Harriet. "If it's all right with your mummy, you can be my flower girl."

"Who will I be partnered with?" Harriet asked excitedly.

"I was thinking of Thuban, if Ginny agrees," Luna stated and Ron groaned.

"Thuban is so cute," Harriet replied dreamily.

Both Ron and Sirius choked on their food.

------******------

Ginny finished feeding the baby and placed him in the cradle. She walked into the sitting room where Draco was cuddling a crying Serpens.

"I so sorry, Daddy. I went before you tucked me in, but it didn't work."

Draco kissed the little wizard's forehead. "It's all right, son. I know you're trying and that's all Mummy and Daddy ask of you."

"I want to be a big boy," The preschooler whimpered as he wiped away his tears. "Will both you and Mummy tuck me back in?"

"Sure, sweetie. Are you ready to go back?" Ginny asked him gently. The little boy nodded and the three walked out of the room.

As they left Serpens' room, Draco was distracted by a noise. "Pssh, pssh, Daddy, Daddy," Thuban whispered peeping out of his sitting room door. Draco told Ginny to go back to their room and he went to his eldest son.

"You should be in bed young man."

"I know, Daddy. But I heard you in Serpens' room. Don't forget to talk to Mummy about Grandfather teaching me to jump. Tell her how well I ride and that I'll be a really good boy. I'll even be nice to Uncle Ron and the Mud…. Muggle born witch," Thuban pleaded.

Draco smiled at the boy. "I hadn't forgotten and I'll let your mother know. Now, you…"

The boy ran to his bedroom quickly. "I'm back in bed already, Daddy. Good night. I love you. Kiss mummy for me."

"I love you, too. Good night."

Draco kissed Ginny's cheek when sat next to her on their settee. "That was from Thuban. He was concerned that I had forgotten to discuss his show jumping with you."

Ginny exhaled. "I so wanted to give your father a piece of my mind. What a dirty, underhanded trick! He only offered to teach Thuban how to jump to win him over. He didn't like the fact that our son enjoyed being with my father, the jealous arse."

Draco smirked at his wife and pulled her into his chest. "And your father always spends his Sundays in the pond and the field collecting potion ingredients?"

"My father was denied access to his grandsons for years. He needs bonding time."

"Love, my father teaching Thuban to jump isn't going to impact your father's bonding time with the boys." Draco kissed her cheek, again.

"Maybe not, but he only brought it up to win Thuban back over."

"Yes, my father was very jealous. I think that fact is going to be good for our boys. Arthur is very good at the grandfather role. I'm hoping this makes Father relax his demands on Thuban and spend more time enjoying his grandsons instead of trying to father them." He turned his wife to face him. "Thuban's been ready to learn to jump for months. Father was going to wait until he was six, to make Mother happy. My father shares the love of horse riding and potion making with Thuban. He can't make potions with him for three more weeks. They both need this Gin. Thuban promises to be nice to Ron if you let him jump."

"He will be nice to Ron even if I don't let him jump. His cheek needs to stop, Draco," she demanded.

"You're right, Ginny. Now, back to Thuban's jumping. Ginny, it's very safe." Draco started to laugh.

"What are you laughing at?"

"Sorry, Love. I'm merely remembering learning to jump myself. Mother demanded to attend my training. The first time, she lined the paddock with extra large cushions." Ginny joined him in his laughter. "The second, she had charmed two king size beds to float next to my pony. The third, she merely had her wand at the ready. I never hit the ground. I'm sure she will insist on being present at Thuban's instruction."

Ginny kissed him. "What if I say, no?"

"Give me a good reason why I should tell my father not to train Thuban. I was thinking of starting him soon myself, Love. He's excellent at riding both horses and his broom."

She pouted at him. "Why do I feel that you are only pacifying me and no matter what I say you are going to do whatever you want?"

"Believe me, love. I'm not. Give me a good reason. Do you feel he is a poor rider? Do you not trust my father with Thuban's well being?"

Ginny gave him a very earnest look. "I don't want my baby to grow up. Is that a good reason?" she said pushing her bottom lip out in a pout.

"Nope, that's not a good reason. He's going to grow no matter what we do or don't do. Now, do we need to discuss anything else." He pulled her into his arms. "Or is it time to snuggle?"

"The twins birthday is Saturday. I know we have a society event but I want to at least stop by their party at the Leaky Caldron for an hour or two."

Draco groaned, he hated going to the dank pub with his own mates but to go with Ginny's brothers would be intolerable. He grimaced, "I get to keep my monthly night out with my mates, right?"

"I don't have a problem with that as long as I get to go out with my friends that night too. Your parents are going to have the boys every Friday night anyway."

He quickly ran his wife's friends through his mind. Granger was single, Lavender was now single, Luna was single, Sara was single and, as he inventoried others, he realized they were all single. He sneered at the idea.

"Is there a problem, honey?"

"Your friends are all single. They'll be looking for…," he started.

"Draco Malfoy!" she hissed. "All of your mates are now single too. And even when they weren't they acted like it."

He hugged her and kissed her forehead. "You're right. You've trusted me so I can trust you. And we will leave the ball at ten thirty Saturday to go to your brothers' party." He gave himself some hope that after an hour of dancing, if he were romantic enough, maybe she would forgo her brothers' party.