Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Discoveries

-------------***********----------------

Ginny clung to her husband before sunrise, only in his arms did her sadness and sense of loss not cause her great anguish. She didn't want him to leave, she needed him there to keep her pain at bay. But he needed to protect his family and locate their son. She felt him relax in her embrace, if it weren't for their three other children he would bring her along.

Draco knew the other wizards were waiting downstairs, but he had to give Ginny this last moment. It amazed him that they could share such warmth at so stressful and sad a time in their lives. "I love you, Ginny. I'll Owl you every day and Floo as often as I'm able." He kissed her softly on the lips. "I have Sugar Quills for Serpens and Chocoballs for Thuban in my desk."

She returned his kiss. "I know where they are and when to give them. I love you, too, Draco. Keep yourself safe. We need you." Ginny released him.

Draco walked slowly down the hall to the staircase where he heard a number of voices from below.

"Are you sure you have all the potion ingredients you may need, Professor Snape? Daddy has lots in his lab. I can show you and help collect them," Thuban stated.

Snape patted the boy's shoulder, "I have everything I need thank you, Thuban."

Lucius knelt in front of his eldest grandson, "Thuban, your father's Potion Lab…"

The pajama clad little boy hugged his grandfather, cutting him off, "Is off limits, I know. I'm going to be very good while you and Daddy are away." Hearing someone coming down the stairs, the boy turned to see his father. He released Lucius. "Have a safe trip, Daddy," he tried to sound merry.

Draco kissed the boy's cheek. "We said our goodbyes last night. You should be in bed."

"I wanted to help make sure everything was packed."

The group's attention went to the top of the stairs where squeals and screams emanated.

"Master Serpens, comes back here, please," Tipsy screeched softly.

The bare-bottomed three-year came around the corner, raced down the stairs, jumped into his father's arms and cried loudly, "Don't go Daddy. Don't go!"

Draco was trying to calm the little boy as Bill, Charlie, Ron, and Arthur Apparated into the foyer. The Weasley wizards noticed Thuban losing his battle with his own tears.

"Can't you afford pajama bottoms for the boy, Malfoy?" Charlie teased, hoping to break the tension.

Thuban giggled, Draco took the clean bottoms from the elf, placed Serpens on the floor and helped him into them. "Step in, son." Once they were on, the little wizard grabbed his father around the neck and held on tight.

"Don't go, Daddy. Cam left and didn't come back," the boy cried into his father's shoulder.

Arthur walked over to Thuban and led him up the stairs. "Show me how your mudpuppies are doing, son." Thuban went happily with his grandpa.

"Hush now, son. We discussed this last night. I'm going on a trip for a couple of days. I'll Owl you every day." The boy continued to cry. Draco decided it was time to play dirty. "Let's go get a Sugar Quill, shall we?"

"I don't want a Sugar Quill," the little wizard screamed. "I want you to stay home."

Draco gave his father a pleading look and Lucius merely shrugged. A Sugar Quill had never failed before and both men were lost as what to do next. The thought of prying his son's hands from his neck and leaving the distraught boy at home was not appealing. He patted the little wizard's back. "Goodness knows, Serpens, I want nothing more than to stay home with you. However, I have important business to take care of. Please, son, let go. The sooner I leave, the sooner I'll return."

"You promise to come home soon?"

"I promise," Draco replied with a kiss to the boy's cheek.

"Cross your heart?"

The blond wizard crossed his heart with his finger then touched the boy's nose.

"Make an unbeak vow on it?" Serpens asked looking into his father's eye.

Ginny, dressed for the day, came down the stairs and eased Serpens from his father's arms. "Don't worry little one. Daddy vows to come back soon," she kissed his cheek. "Tell everyone goodbye, sweetie, then it's back to bed with you."

----------------****************----------------

Draco decided that he'd have to reevaluate his views of the Weasel after the trip was over. His wife's family was taking the biggest risks. They had determined it was best for a couple of them to sneak into Bulgaria. Arthur, Ron, Charlie and Lupin had decided they were the ones to do it. If caught, at the very least they would lose their jobs with the Ministry. The Bulgarian government could imprison them for life. Imprisonment was unlikely; Bellatrix and Rodolphus had proven that money could buy many things in Bulgaria. However, seeing as the Weasleys had no money, they were showing a great deal of trust in the Malfoys.

The blond wizard wondered why they were so willing to take these chances, especially for Cam. The little boy was a Black through and through. He insulted the Weasley family whenever given the opportunity, openly expressing his dislike for their home and their selection of friends. Besides, they really didn't know the boy, having little contact with him until six and a half months ago. They couldn't love him. They must be doing this for Ginny.

The Weasleys Apparated to the forest outside of Bulgaria and looked for the best place to slip into the country. Lucius, Severus and Draco used a portkey taking them to the Bulgarian Ministry. The Weasleys would sleep in tents, while the others would stay in a posh hotel.

The Malfoys and Snape had just placed their bags in their suite when there was a knock on the door. Being closest, Draco answered it.

"Mr. Malfoy, I am sorry to hear about your son," stated the wizard who had been Bellatrix's prison guard. "I have…"

"Let him in, Draco," Lucius ordered.

Draco stepped aside and the man entered the room.

"How much will your information cost?" Lucius growled.

"I'm a poorly paid government employee, sir. A wizard must feed his family. Five hundred galleons is not much to ask."

"Asking so little? You must not know where the boy is," Lucius spat. "Tell us all you know and I will decide what its worth."

The prison guard bowed his head to the ex-Death Eater, "You understand that Bellatrix and Rodolphus are alive?" Lucius nodded. "They paid a number of us guards to fake their deaths, but they made the mistake of not paying all of us. Our Ministry turned a blind eye and allowed the LeStranges to live in this house for over a month," the guard said handing Lucius a parchment with an address. "They are no longer there. I went there last night. I found this," he handed Lucius another parchment. "Someone in the British Ministry arranged a portkey for them."

"Is that all you have?" Lucius sneered.

"Yes, sir."

Snape walked over to the man and muttered a spell. The man's eyes glazed over. Severus pulled several silver memory strands from his head then installed new ones.

"Put a sack of six hundred galleons in his pocket, Draco," Lucius instructed. "Severus, drop him off near his home."

Snape Disapparated with the man and Draco turned to his father.

"What did Snape do?"

"We couldn't have him remembering us. Severus merely removed some memories and replaced them, the man is fine," Lucius flatly stated before looking up the directions to the address on the parchment.

"This house is not far. We will go there once Severus returns."

-----------------****************----------------

Ginny sat on the patio of Black Hall watching Thuban and Serpens play. She was very proud of her eldest son's behavior, but it did also worry her. He was being perfectly behaved and he made sure his younger brother was happy and entertained. What bothered the witch was while Serpens had cried over Cam's disappearance, Thuban had not. She knew the boy was distraught but he hid it behind his stone cold Malfoy facade. This was one thing she wished her son hadn't learned from Lucius. It wasn't good to bottle up one's emotions.

She sighed when a house elf brought her tea and a bowl of soup. She'd been at the Ministry most of the morning looking through book after book trying to learn all she could about the black and gold Vanishing Cabinet. She had worked through lunch and although she had learned a lot, none of it would lead them to their son.

The cabinet had been in the dangerous items area for years after the night of Dumbledore's death. Then two weeks ago, it was removed. An undisclosed official provided proof of its mate's destruction, therefore making this cabinet safe. The documentation showing which Ministry official had deemed it so was missing. The cabinet had found its way to Cam's school only yesterday. The document showing who'd ordered its delivery was also missing.

Narcissa brought a cooing Leo outside and sat down next to Ginny, "I can see by looking at you that you found nothing."

"It confirmed what we already know. Someone inside the Ministry helped Bellatrix."

The blonde witch smiled at her daughter-in-law, "We will find out who did it, people talk." She touched the younger witch's hand to comfort her, "It may take some time."

Ginny brushed away a tear, "Hopefully, Bellatrix convinced the boys she was taking them on holiday. I pray that Cam's not scared and that she is taking care of him."

"Although my sister is not well, I still believe that she won't harm him. In her own way she loves Cygnus very much."

Ginny took a steadying breath, tears pooling in her eyes, "I must keep myself busy. Every time I stop, worry steps in. I should go look at the Owls we've received."

Narcissa smiled, "Blaise is handling them. We should stay with the children. Thuban wanted to practice his Quidditch while you were out."

The society witch was not a fan of the sport but merely wanted to distract the younger woman. The wizarding world knew a large reward awaited anyone with information that aided in Cam's return. Owls had started to arrive that morning from money hungry thieves, a number of crackpots, and many hateful people. Old family alliances caused many to hold onto their contempt for the Malfoy clan.

Lucius had directed his wife to read Owls only from family members and close friends. Wanting to help, Narcissa had decided to go through a couple of letters before Blaise arrived a mistake in judgment that resulted in Blaise's finding her crying in the darker corner of the room, holding an Owl. Some sick individual had written that he and his friends took Cam because of Lucius and Draco's association with the Dark Lord. The note detailed how the little boy had been murdered and disemboweled. She wouldn't allow Ginevra to make the same mistake she had.

"I'm sure a good broom ride would clear your mind," Narcissa whispered looking more at the now sleeping babe in her arms than her daughter-in-law.

Ginny nodded. "I'll do that."

-----------------****************----------------

Did the sweet smell of the jasmine soap Ginny bathed the boys with still lingered in the air or was it merely his imagination, Draco wondered as he walked through the house. He pushed back the sofa and found a photograph of Cam with Bellatrix, Rodolphus and John Lupin. They appeared to be on a family picnic. The perplexing thing was that the boys were three years old in the photo when, in fact, Cam had meet John for the first time just four months ago.

Mystified, Draco approached his father handing him the photo, "Father, why would they do this?"

"Maybe to prove the boys are hers," Lucius answered, placing his arm around his flustered son's shoulder. "We will find him alive and healthy," he reassured.

"I believe I've found the cabinet," Snape called from another room.

Both Malfoys hurried to it, finding pieces of black and gold wood lying next to a wall. Draco approached the pile moving a couple pieces and withdrawing a chestnut colored toy horse. Turning the horse over he saw a "C" printed neatly on the bottom of each leg.

"It's Cam's," he whispered holding the toy to his chest, "he was here." Draco tried to conceal his misery but a tear dropped from his eye as he turned to the other men. "We need to find out where that portkey sent them."

-----------------****************----------------

"I sold that bloke my little boy for a couple of weeks," spat the drunken Muggle as he pointed to a picture of Rodolphus. "He never brought the lad back. Went to fetch the boy the other day or get more money. The prat had two others. My boy wasn't good enough. He took him to the orphanage. Now I can't get him back." The drunk leaned into Ron, "My son's a wizard. His mother was a witch."

"Tell that story to someone else, Thomas!" the bartender yelled before he eyed the Weasleys and Lupin. "You need to buy a drink or get out."

Charlie ordered five whiskeys and the group walked over to a booth.

"Your wife was a witch?" Lupin asked nicely.

"Didn't tell me until she was eight months along. The brat killed her in childbirth. He's been making things happen for years. I'll get him back soon. His powers will scare the shit out of them. It's happened before."

Lupin put a photo of each missing boy on the table. The drunk pointed at them, "Those were the boys with the man. Give me another drink and I'll take you to his house."

After a second round, they left the dirty old pub, which made The Hog's Head look like a palace. To their surprise, the drunk found the house easily.

Charlie took the Muggle in hand, "I'll take him back to the pub and modify his memory."

The others nodded then approached the house. Ron huffed after looking in the window, "Just knock on the door," he paused, "the bloody ferret beat us here."

Lucius welcomed the Weasley group into the house while Draco remained on the floor clutching the horse to his chest, not noticing his in-laws. Mournful he stammered, "I spent most of my sixth year fixing that cabinet's mate. Now, the bitch has used it to steal my son." Draco looked at the ceiling, "Merlin, Ginny, I'm sorry. Why did I do this to you? The crazy bitch wanted my son not yours."

Arthur placed a hand on Draco's shoulder, "Truthfully son, Molly's being a Prewitt also caused this."

"I… I… I didn't know you were here," Draco stuttered.

"Of course you didn't know. You're not that good of an actor, Draco," Ron retorted.

"Merlin's beard, did you hear that Dad? Ron just said a five letter word!" Charlie teased.

"What are you on about?" Ron hissed, "what five letter word?"

"Draco," Charlie calmly stated, "you called him Draco."

"Well, that's the prat's bloody name after all."

Draco smirked, "Yes, it is, Ron."

Ron shuddered, "I'm not ready for this yet, Malfoy. You and I being on a first name basis isn't right."

-----------------****************----------------

Ginny placed the bassinet next to her bed. She knew Draco wouldn't be happy with her for bringing Leo back into their room but she needed the boys close. It had taken a week for Leo to get used to the nursery. She went to lay the baby in his bassinet and realized that, at six and a half months old, he had grown too big.

"You are getting to be a big boy," she said and Leo clapped his hands and laughed in response. She sat him up on the floor, "Mummy will be right back, stay here."

She put the bassinet away in the nursery closet, charmed the crib small, moved it into her bedroom and enlarged it. Leo held his arms up when she turned to him. Once in her arms, he started to pull at her top so she sat in a chair and began nursing the babe. Serpens stirred in the bed and cried lightly. Still nursing Leo, she walked over and kissed and calmed the restless toddler. The fire crackled and Draco's head appeared in it.

The wizard grinned devilishly at the view of his wife's bottom up in the air as she bent over. "One of my favorite sights. Lift your gown up a little, love," he said in a husky voice.

"Watch your tongue, sir. I'm not alone," she vaguely scolded before turning around.

He never understood why, but the sight of her nursing always warmed him from head to toe. His eyes left her for only a minute when he spotted movement on their bed. "Sorry, love, you look busy," he whispered.

"A mother is always busy," she paused and then asked hopefully, "how was your day? What did you find?"

"Cam was here, they have him. Some drunken Muggle saw Rodolphus with both boys and I found Cam's toy horse. We have a couple things to check into tomorrow. I'll be home by evening. What did you find at the Ministry? "

"My search only verified our beliefs. Blaise went through two hundred Owls and got no leads." She paused and moved closer to the fireplace, "Draco, your mother read one that must have been ghastly. Pansy had to come over and calm her. Blaise sent it to the Aurors." She saw the anger in his eyes, "Don't get mad at any of them. I was snooping. I don't see why I can't read the Owls. I understand there are nutters out there."

"Of course you do. However, you don't need to read their hateful words. How'd the rest of your day go, love?"

"Thuban was wonderful, very well behaved and extremely helpful with his little brothers. Serpens keeps waking up and Leo is refusing to go to sleep. It's easier to have them in here."

The babe stopped nursing and reached for the fireplace. "Aah Aah," he babbled happily.

Draco beamed at his baby, "Hi, mate, I missed you today." He turned his eyes to his wife, "Did he say a word today?"

She couldn't help but return a radiate smile. For a moment, he'd made her forget that one of their children was missing. Draco had started asking that question everyday once Leo made his first sounds. "Still just sounds, sweets, don't get your hopes up. I don't think it's going to be 'Da' this time. Thuban's been working with him and I'm placing my bet on 'dog'."

Draco smirked and shook his head, "My sons have never let me down, it will be 'Da'." He paused and said, "Let Luna know it will be another day before Ron returns home…"

Stunned Ginny exclaimed, "Did you just say Ron?!"

Draco chucked, "Yes, I did." He lifted his brow and eyed two little lumps now moving in the bed, "I think you woke them up."

The witch sighed.

"Oh, don't be that way. I was going to ask you to anyway, love."

Serpens rubbed his tired little eyes and put his head in Ginny's lap. "I'm dreaming about Daddy."

"He's Flooing us, Serpens," Thuban said, "he's real." The eldest boy flashed a grin at his father, "I was fine sleeping in my own room, Daddy, but I thought Mummy might need help with Serpens and Leo."

--------------***************---------------

Draco entered the building alone, finding the Muggle orphanage clean but meager. The courtyard was bare there was no trace that any play equipment was ever in the yard. The building was surrounded by high railings and looked more like a prison than a place to raise children. He hadn't gotten far before the Head Matron met him.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Dobbs. Family services informed me you wish to speak with the young boy we took in yesterday."

"That is correct," Draco answered.

"He's in this room. I don't think he'll be any help. His memories are gone," the Muggle woman informed him.

Draco nodded and walked into the white room. The lack of color gave it a cold feeling, as did the appearance of the little boy. He was handsome, tall for his age with black hair and dark eyes. When the boy drummed his abnormally long fingers on the table, the blond wizard stopped dead. Those fingers reminded him of Voldemort. Draco shook off the thought. That thing couldn't breed. Besides, the boy's too young.

"Hello," Draco said with a smile. "My name's Draco." He offered the boy his hand.

The child smiled and shook hands. "I'm Max. I remember that." The boy puffed out his chest. "I can move that chair without touching it." The little wizard looked at a chair and it moved a couple of millimeters.

"That's nothing," Draco replied. Using a non-verbal spell and without using his wand, he Accioed the chair across the room.

"You're a wizard too!" the little boy stated excitedly.

"Yes, I am and I need your help." Draco took a photograph of his three oldest sons out of his wallet. "I'm looking for my son, this one. Have you seen him?"

"I don't remember." Max looked at the photo then into Draco's eyes. "Do you love them or did you have them to work for you?"

"I love them." He touched the boy's hand, "Max, if you look into my eyes, I may be able to help you remember some things." The boy nodded and Draco whispered, "Legilimens."

A memory charm had been placed on the boy, there was no doubt about it. Draco pulled out of the boy's mind quickly thinking that Rodolphus may have done Max a favor by erasing his memories. There was nothing except pain and loneliness inside the child and Draco refused to bring those memories back to him.

He hugged the boy, "I'm so sorry, Max." The child went limp in his arms not knowing how to respond. "Mate, I have an idea. I know a place much nicer than this. It's still an orphanage, but it has swings, playgrounds, colorful rooms, lots of toys and nice old witches who love to give out hugs."

"I can play there?" Max asked and when Draco nodded the little wizard said, "I'd like that."

"Hold on tight then. We're going to use magic to leave." There was a loud pop and both were gone.

---------------***************---------------

Hermione approached the sixteenth century castle which had been converted into a number of private homes. It had taken her a month to find the information that led her here. Levin was not the girl's true name, the family's last name was actually Yaxley and there was no father living with them. The sixteen-year-old girl attended Muggle School while the thirteen year old stayed at home with her mother. No one had ever heard the younger child speak. The mother was a beautiful black haired woman with a model's figure. The family had left their home by the school after getting a call from the Head Master. They'd spent many summers in this house under the name Deerfield. Hermione knew the family was running from her and she hoped to surprise them this time.

"May I help you?" asked the gardener.

Hermione smiled brightly, "I've come to visit my friends, the Deerfield family."

"Friends!" the man raised his brow. "They have no friends, nor have they ever had visitors. Strange lot, they are. You must be a thief or the law if you are looking for them."

Hermione showed her fake London police badge, "Are they home?"

"They snuck off last night," the man smiled, "I knew the police would come for them one day. They were stealing electricity for years. They never had a bill but always had lights. Odd things happened when they were around. The mother was beautiful but spooky; she could sneak up on you. One minute she was nowhere to be found and then I'd hear a 'pop' and she'd be behind me."

"May I look inside their home?" Hermione asked.

"I unlocked every door this morning but they still won't open. You may try if you like."

She started for the house followed by the Muggle. Once out of sight she charmed him to sleep and sat him on a backyard bench. Hermione then entered the house looking for clues. What she found inside only increased her desire to locate the family. They were a wizarding family hiding in the Muggle world. This was common for many who had lived through the last war. Spells were cast and not even the Hogwarts' book showed the numerous magical children hidden in this way.

When Hermione went out onto a covered patio, she was shocked by the numerous paintings of the final battle which adorned the room. She sank to her knees in front of a painting of Draco lying against a tree bleeding from his chest with Voldemort standing to his left, wand out and a green light coming out of its tip heading for Harry, her Harry.

---------------***************---------------

Ginny sat in the family parlor. The sun had set hours ago and Leo lay asleep in his playpen while Thuban and Serpens slept on the couch. The red haired witch was greatly concerned for the wellbeing of her husband who should have been home hours ago. She beamed hopefully upon hearing an Apparition pop and couldn't stop herself from running to him when she heard the house elf say, "Welcome home, Master."

Draco had just handed the elf his cloak when he found his arms full of beautiful red headed witch. Her lips came crashing down on his, knocking him back a couple of steps before he steadied himself. He happily returned her passionate embrace and pressed her into his body. Merlin, nothing felt as good as having Ginny in his arms.

When the need for air ended their kiss, Draco rested his forehead on Ginny's and smirked, "I missed you too, sorry, I'm late." He led her into the closest room, sat on a settee and pulled her onto his lap, placing a number of small kisses on her neck before getting control of himself.

"We really didn't learn much more today. Someone inside our Ministry is helping them," his voice crackled. "They bought a half-blood five year old boy from his drunken Muggle father. I think they practiced being parents to him for a month. Rodolphus used a memory charm on him."

Ginny gasped and he pulled her close. "Draco, a memory charm on a child…"

"I know, Ginny. Nevertheless, I looked in the boy's mind. Merlin, he didn't have any good memories to lose. I didn't bring any back to him. Nor did I want to chance looking to deep." He took a deep breath trying to conceal his emotions, "The Muggle Orphanage was ghastly, too. That's why I'm late. I had to get him…"

She kissed his cheek, "You snuck him out of Bulgaria?" He nodded. "Where is he now?"

"Blaise and Pansy have him." He cuddled his wife for a time before asking, "Where are our boys?"

"In the family parlor, asleep." She nestled into his chest. "I want a little more time with you before we collect them. They're not going to leave us alone once they see you."

"I could do with a good snog," her husband agreed.

-----------------***************---------------

Pansy and Padma sat by the fireplace in Draco's study taking a break and enjoying tea while Blaise, Greg and Vincent went through the new Owls. The group had come to the Malfoy home each of the last two days for the wizards to go through the Owls looking for leads while the witches wrote thank you notes to everyone who'd sent supportive words to the family.

"Vincent said Draco brought a five year old boy to your house last night," Padma said in disbelief.

"Yes, Max is his name. He's a cold child. I guess Bellatrix and Rodolphus had him for some reason. Draco couldn't stand leaving him in that sickening Muggle place. The boy is a wizard after all." Pansy took a drink of her tea, "Lucius, Snape and Draco had a horrible clash over the boy because Snape wanted to use dark magic to bring his memories back."

Padma lightly gasped, "That type of magic could kill the boy."

The other witch nodded, "Draco knows that and he couldn't allow them to kill or even to harm an innocent child, even if doing so would lead them to Cam."

"What did you do with the boy?"

"I was going to take him to the Wizarding Orphanage but the Bondad family decided to take him in. The child really needs individual attention and he'll do fine with them," Pansy poured herself a little more tea.

"You had a busy morning. How was your morning sickness?"

The dark haired witch beamed. She enjoyed being pregnant. While the pregnancy wasn't planned, she had wanted it. Pansy had taken a birth control potion before their marriage. However, since she wanted a baby now and Blaise wanted to wait, she'd made prevention his responsibility. The witch knew it was only a matter of time before he'd forget to use the charm. "I'm fine as long as I have a couple of ginger snaps before my feet touch the ground."

"And eggs aren't served for breakfast," Thuban giggled at her side before climbing into Pansy's lap and cuddling into her chest.

She kissed her godson's forehead and held him close, "How long have you been listening?"

"I came in when Aunt Padma asked about your morning," he whispered.

"Do your parents know you're here?" Padma asked.

"Tipsy or Nan will tell them. Daddy's really busy. Serpens won't let him go. Plus, the elves told him that Mummy hasn't been eating well. He's trying to get her to eat something, now." He turned his tear-filled eyes to Pansy, "It hurts so bad not having Cam here." The Slytherin witch pulled him close and rocked him. The boy's sobbing caught the attention of the wizards.

"Pans, what's wrong?" Blaise inquired worriedly.

The little wizard tried to contain his tears. "Go ahead and have a good cry, Thuban. It's alright," she assured the boy before turning to her husband, "he misses his brother and merely needs a good cry."

"Oh," the wizard responded, "I've had my share of those lately."

The boy wept for some time before wiping away his tears. "Aunt Pansy, thank you. I have to be strong for the other witches."

"Oh, Thuban. Don't worry about that. Your mummy and grandmothers could use a good weep with you."

A noise from the hall quickly had the little boy drying his face, putting on a smile and sitting in his own chair. Draco walked in the room with Serpens on his hip, the three-year-old's head resting on his father's shoulder, the boy's left thumb was in his mouth, his arm around his father's neck and his blanket held tightly in his grip. The little wizard appeared to be nodding off from time to time.

"Good afternoon, Daddy," Thuban said cheerfully. "Would you care for some tea?"

------------------***************---------------

"Miss is in her parlor. I's be getting her," the house elf informed Lucius and Snape, leaving them standing in the foyer.

"Grandfather!" Thuban exclaimed excitedly from the top of the stairs. The little boy started to slide down the banister when the clearing of Lucius' throat caused him to change his mind. "Hello, Professor Snape," Thuban said politely before returning his attention to his grandfather, "Daddy went to the Ministry. He should be back any minute." He gave the wizards a puzzled look, "Why didn't the elf show you in? Come along."

They had just entered the parlor when the doorbell rang. Thuban went to the foyer and waited for the house elf to answer it. A pretty black haired witch with two girls came into the room.

"I need to see Mr. Draco Malfoy. It concerns his son, Cygnus."

"You have information about Cam?" Ginny asked entering the foyer. Overhearing the conversation, Lucius and Severus returned.

The sixteen year old girl gasped at the sight of the Dark Wizards, two of her father's old friends. Her mother turned and faced the former Death Eaters.

"Hello, Lucius… Severus. It's been almost a decade."

Lucius walked over, took the woman's hand and kissed the back of it, "Mrs. Yaxley, it's nice to see you and your children alive and well."

She smirked in response, "No need to be so formal, Kate will do." Lucius bowed and she continued, "I believe we can help each other. You see, I can give you the name of the wizard in the Ministry who helped Bellatrix kidnap your grandson. I only ask for an Unbreakable Vow that you, Lucius, will protect my family from harm."

"Shall we go to the Manor?" Lucius offered.

Kate looked at Ginny. "No, I believe I'm safer here until you make the vow."

Lucius noticed Thuban watching this interaction with great interest. The boy smirked at the dark-haired witch's lack of trust in his grandfather. "Thuban, go to the playroom, please."

The boy turned to his mother asking, "Mummy, may I please stay?" This question caused Lucius' insides to stir; just a couple of months ago his grandson would not have disobeyed him. Discipline was definitely lacking in this home and he would speak to Draco about this later.

"It's best that you go, I'll send Tipsy in," Ginny replied.

Thuban kicked at the ground as he walked away. Few people questioned his grandfather publicly and he liked to meet those with the courage and strength to do so. Hopefully, he would see this witch again. Plus, she'd said she had information about Cam. He'd like to hear that too. A skip was added to his step when he remembered the hidden viewing port he could get to from the playroom.

The Apparition pop of his father stopped him. Draco took in the sight in foyer quickly and stared at the dark-haired witch. "Kate," he stammered, "we thought…"

"That we had died along with Ben. Draco, you know it was his cause not mine," she looked at Lucius and continued, "I have information that may help you locate your son. I merely ask for protection for my family first. Your father was about to make an Unbreakable Vow."

The blond wizard placed the boy on his hip on the floor. "Let's go into the parlor. Tipsy." The house elf appeared. "Take the boys to the playroom." He noticed Thuban's slight smirk. "Thuban," he said firmly, "if you're planning on using a passageway or a hidden viewing port, it will not be tolerated."

The little wizard turned up his nose and lip before replacing the sneer with a compliant look. "Yes, Sir."

Lucius hissed at his son, "He should be punished for that look. Defiance even the slightly bit will cause problems later."

"I'll keep that in mind, Father," Draco whispered as the group entered the parlor. He turned to the black haired witch. "Kate, I will be happy to provide safety for your family and give you my Unbreakable Vow."

Kate smiled at him in return and replied, "I respectfully decline, Draco dear. I would rather have your father's Vow."

Lucius quickly moved in front of the witch and took her hand. "Severus will be our Bonder?" Kate nodded. Snape's wand touched their hands as the pair agreed to the terms of the Vow.

Ginny clung to Draco's side as she watched. There had been no question in her mind that Lucius would put his life on the line for Thuban, the Malfoy heir. That he would do the same for Cam stunned her. He was 'the spare' after all, and they had two more to replace him. Up until this point that's how she thought Lucius viewed his other grandsons.

After the Vow had been made, Kate sat on the sofa between her daughters and said, "I guess the best thing to do is start at the beginning. Ben took us to a cabin close to the Death Eater camp the night before the final battle. He said that if things went well, pure blooded wizards would be in power again and that if he did not return, I should hide the girls in the Muggle World."

A house elf brought tea for everyone and served it. Once it had left, Kate started again.

"At ten p.m., I noticed Sara," she nodded to her thirteen year old. "was missing. I found her exhausted in the woods, not far from where the final battle had taken place. Aurors were collecting bodies only meters from her. I took her back to the cabin, collected Alisa and went into hiding."

Kate paused and drank some tea before continuing, "When Sara came around, I discovered a memory charm had been used on her. She was like a newborn again. It took me two years to get her back. Her memories of that night caused her nightmares and it was primarily through the use paintings that she explained what happened. She speaks, but only with her sister and me. As I learned what she saw, I knew we needed to go deeper into hiding. Alisa made the mistake of taking a number of Sara's paintings to her Muggle school last spring and a witch spotted them and has been catching us.

We needed help to stay hidden and articles in recent editions of the Prophet made me believe that my information would be helpful to Lucius in his search for Cygnus. Bella and Rodolphus are too smart to be killed by common prison guards. I knew she must have faked her death and for some reason kidnapped the boy. To do this she would need help from someone high up in the Ministry." Kate took another drink of her tea.

"The night of the final battle, Sara followed Ben into the woods where Bellatrix was waiting for him by a caldron. Cornelius Fudge showed up and gave Bellatrix some of Remus Lupin's hair. Fudge informed her that he had led Harry Potter to Voldemort and the Dark Lord was torturing the boy. Bella completed the Polyjuice, drank the potion and transformed into Lupin. It was her task to make sure Potter died.

Fudge Disapparated and Ben and Bella went to the final battle. Sara followed them. She saw the battle and her father's death. Once Snape had pushed Bella Polyjuiced as Lupin aside so that he could help Potter, Bella went into the woods with Rodolphus and transformed back into herself. That's when she spotted Sara and told Rodolphus to kill her. He Obliviated her instead."

------------------***************---------------

"I knew you would come for me," Cornelius Fudge stated as he sat with his back to the door. "It was only a matter of time. I told Bellatrix that. She called me a fool. She won't hurt them unless you try to take them back. It would be best to leave them with her."

"Where did the portkey send them?" Lucius asked.

"The Mauvais compound in the Nevada desert," Fudge turned and looked at the wizard. "She'll kill them before she gives them up." He took a drink of his fire whiskey. "I helped her kill Potter in order to create a new pure-blood line. It was just a side benefit to watch you squirm when your heir married a Weasley. What a great delight it was when Leo was born with red hair." The portly little wizard walked around his desk.

"I believed you and let you lead me around before the war. You, Lucius, were the reason I lost most of my power," he chuckled. "What better payback then to help steal what you treasure so much. Most wizards are fools. They believe Thuban is your weakness, but I know it's Cygnus because he is closest to Narcissa's heart. Her tears are unbearable for you, her moaning for Cygnus, her favorite grandson, must be terrible." Fudge stepped up and looked into Lucius' eyes, "Imagine how she would cry at his wake."

Fudge turned, pulled his wand and circled around pointing it at Lucius. "Avada…" was all he could say before Lucius' disarming spell hit him. The portly wizard lay on the floor, Lucius' wand to his throat.

"I would kill you, except that's what you're hoping for isn't it? I hear the Ministry's new execution charm is wonderfully painful, worse than a Dementor's kiss. You get to live all the pain you caused others before it takes you." Lucius placed a confinement charm on the man, "You are right about my weakness and will pay dearly for each of my wife's tears."

------------------***************---------------

Remus, Nympahdora, Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Professor McGonagall, two trusted Aurors and Cornelius Fudge sat in the Hogwarts headmistress's office.

"We had to do it. It was the only way," Fudge stated. "Before Snape called Lucius back, Scrimgeour, Rosier, Ogden, Marchbanks and Yaxley were planning the peace treaty. The Dark Lord was so insane that many of his followers wanted to leave him. We knew they would follow Lucius. Bellatrix learned of our plans and came to me. She persuaded me that the treaty would never pass as long as Harry Potter lived. She and I agreed that only his death would stop the fighting and ensure the passage of the pure blood marriage law. We needed pure bloods to marry other pure bloods and produce children. Too many of us were killed in the war." He paused again. "I gave Bellatrix, Lupin's hair. I told Harry where and when to find the Dark Lord. I'd hoped they'd Avada him. Instead, the Dark Lord used a painful cutting hex, one that Potter healed. Bellatrix was there Polyjuiced as Lupin. She performed the same charm and watched Harry bleed to death. Snape was too late."

Hermione placed her face into her hands. If she were given the chance, she would make Bellatrix pay for having killed Sirius and Harry. As she wept, Ginny tried to comfort her. The bushy haired witch realized her revenge would have to wait until after Cam Malfoy and John Lupin were safely at home.

"Who else was in on the plan to kill Harry Potter?" McGonagall asked.

"Only Bellatrix and myself." Fudge looked down, "That bonded me to her. Her spies informed me of her plans to get the children. I had to help her. I had the cabinet moved to the school. I gave her a portkey that sent them to the Mauvais compound in the Nevada desert."

"Damn!" Draco spat.

"It does not surprise me that you know of that Dark Wizarding group, Draco," Fudge sighed. "You understand that it is heavily warded and guarded. You will not be able to get inside."

"What is he talking about, Draco?" Ginny pleaded.

The blond wizard knelt in front of his wife readying himself to support her. "Mauvais are an American group of Dark Wizards and Witches that support Muggle destruction and Wizard world domination. It is believed they hide many Death Eaters. No one can enter the compound unless everyone agrees. Magical disguises don't work there. We'd never be able to get close."

"The American Ministry has to be able to get inside," she inquired.

"They can, however the Mauvais would hide Bella, Rodolphus and the boys."

Ginny leaned into her husband and wept, "It can't be hopeless."

"I'm sure the Americans have spies in the compound. We'll head there straight away with the boys. It may take us time but we'll convince them to help us."

------------------***************---------------

John and Cam ran laughing through a beautiful meadow as other children rode brooms in the distance. The boys each had a wand in their hand and placed spells on bugs as they went along.

"Cepheus. Cygnus. Lunch time," Bellatrix called from a picnic blanket. The boys quickly came and sat down next to her and her husband.

John turned to Rodolphus, "Papa, we'd like brooms for our birthday next month."

The dark haired wizard beamed, "I think we could get you a toy broom."

"Papa!" Cam stated, "stop joking. We want real brooms, and the best."

"Only the best for us. Pure-bloods desire only the very best," John added.

In the distance, two men watched the family of four.

"Frank, that family is new isn't it?"

Frank looked through the spyglass and answered, "They are. We need to find out where they are from."