Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love?

d&gforever

Author's note: For some reason chapter 18 didn't appear on the updated page nor did chapter notifications go out. Please make sure you read that chapter before this one. Thanks.

A Storm on The Horizon Part 3

Bella sat at her dining room table reading the morning Prophet. The smile on her face increased as she read.

"Has one of your hated enemies died, my darling?" Rodolphus asked in a matter-of-fact tone.

She smiled sweetly at her husband, "Better than that, my love."

"Torture and mayhem? That has always delighted you."

The dark haired witch cackled. "Oh much better than that. The Ministry has decided to overthrow parental rights. In the Goyle annulment they placed the children with the grandmother stating it was in the best interest of the children."

"And why does that news make you so happy?" Rodolphus asked.

She scoffed at him. "Rodolphus, I do love you, but you are dim. I only need to alter our plans a little now."

"What are you planning, darling?" he asked.

"It will take longer to execute but it will be worth the time. I believe this new law will enable us to become Cygnus' guardians."

Rodolphus gave his wife a meaningful look. "I beg you to rethink, my love. You do not wish to harm your own blood."

"I will not harm Narcissa, Draco or the children. Once I have caused his divorce, we will prove that Cygnus should live with us and the other children belong with Narcissa and Lucius."

------******------

"Mummy and Daddy were rowing again last night," Cam told his brothers as they waited at the table for their parents. Serpens looked at his oldest brother to confirm this statement.

"I didn't hear them rowing. Daddy was mad at Mummy for leaving us with Grandma. He's still worried she'll run off with us, but I don't think they rowed," Thuban stated.

"They were rowing alright. They charmed the room so we couldn't hear," Cam stated. "I had to knock for a long time."

"That doesn't mean anything. They could have been in the shower or something," Thuban countered.

"Their sitting room door with locked. If they were in the shower their bedchamber door would have been locked. They were rowing," Cam said with a nod.

Serpens eyes started to tear. "Don't listen to him, Serpens. Cam doesn't know what he's talking about. Mummy was sleeping on Daddy's chest when I woke them this morning."

The littlest boy wiped away the tear with his hand. "I bet they were snuggling," Serpens hissed at Cam.

"They were to rowing. Daddy even told me after he magicked away the branch."

Footsteps from the hallway stopped the boys' conversation, but the two older boys continued to make faces at each other. Thuban stuck his tongue out at Cam when Draco and Ginny entered the room arm in arm.

"Thuban!" Draco scolded. "I don't want to see that again."

"But Daddy, Cam was trying to make Serpens cry," Thuban said, defending his action.

"I was not," Cam retorted.

"He was starting to cry," Thuban stated.

"It's not my fault that hearing about Mummy and Daddy's row last night made him cry," Cam huffed.

"Stop it." Draco ordered. The boys fell silent as he helped Ginny to her chair then sat himself. He placed his napkin on his lap and took a sip of his tea before addressing his children. "Thuban, it is never proper to stick your tongue out at someone. Cygnus, it is also inappropriate to speak of things you know will upset others. In addition it is very improper to speak of conversations that you overhear."

Ginny shook her head and frowned at the boy to her left. "Cam, I'm very disappointed. We discussed this very topic yesterday."

"I'm sorry," Cam whispered. "But you did row last night."

Draco rolled his eyes at the boy.

"Okay, I won't talk about you rowing anymore."

------******------

Narcissa and Ginny sat at the patio table while the boys played outside. A large blueprint was spread out in front of the women.

"You see, Ginevra. The guesthouse is beyond the stables. It has a large parlor in the back enabling you to keep the baby inside while watching the other children. Serpens wants the castle, Cygnus the tree house, and Thuban the pirate ship. We plan on having each built for their birthdays."

"I think it would be a wonderful play area, Narcissa, but Draco won't approve." Ginny sighed.

"He gets that from Lucius. They believe children's toys are no more than clutter. I agree that the area close to the main house needs to be free for entertaining. That's why this is going by the guesthouse," Narcissa said with a smile.

"I still don't think Draco will agree."

Narcissa patted Ginny's hand. "He will see things my way. You have four active little wizards and can't be carting them off to the park in Diagon Alley all the time. They need their own place."

Ginny would love to have a playground for her boys. Cam and Thuban where only a year or two from being allowed to roam freely. The lavish playhouses which Narcissa was showing her, would keep the boys busy for hours, but she wasn't going to broach the subject with Draco. It had taken her two days before he agreed to the small swing set and slide that occupied the yard today. He only allowed that piece of equipment because it was easily transfigured into a beautiful garden swing for their adult guests.

Ginny smiled at her mother-in-law, "I'll leave that discussion to you and Draco then." Ginny opened her personal planner and removed a scroll. "This is your guest for Leo's christening. Do you have any additions?"

The blonde witch looked at the list for a short time. "No, my dear, this is fine. Are you sure you wouldn't rather use the Manor's ballroom? There are a large number of people on my list alone."

"It will be fine here, Narcissa. Draco has arranged to have a beautiful temporary enclosure added to the grounds for the christening. I followed our plans from Serpens' christening to make all of the arrangements. I have a couple of things left; the owls go out Friday, I need the family christening gown, and we need to select his godparents."

"I assumed you'd chose Blaise and Pansy again."

"I'd really like to selected my brother Bill or Charlie, but I haven't said anything to Draco yet. There hasn't been a good time."

"If it's something you feel strongly about, dear, you must discuss it. You can't set aside matters of importance in order to avoid an argument. It will only cause problems in the end," the older witch advised softly.

"I know, but it's not just Draco. Blaise has been magnificent to the boys and me. I don't want to hurt his feelings."

"Of all people, I know Blaise will understand."

"Would you have a problem with one of my brother's being Leo's godfather?"

Narcissa smiled sweetly. "It's up to you and Draco, but I have no objection with either Bill or Charlie. I believe with Bill's standing at the bank, socially he would be a better selection."

"I was leaning towards Bill."

A house elf appeared on the patio. "Misses, Miss Bellatrix is at the door."

"Show her in, Simon," Ginny said half-heartedly.

As soon as Bella's foot landed on the patio, Cam threw himself into her arms. "Auntie Bella, Mummy's ordering my birthday invitations today. It has a picture of a Seeker catching the snitch on it. The sample has the wizard dressed in blue robes but we're making the printer change them to green."

"That sounds wonderful, darling." Bella kissed the boy's cheek before turning to the witches at the table. "Good morning, Ginevra, Cissy."

------******------

Draco held the door open for Ginny as they entered the restaurant. They walked past a number of other patrons waiting to be seated. The maitre d' greeted the couple and they were quickly seated at one of the best tables. She smiled brightly as she placed her napkin on her lap.

"What thought caused that lovely smile, my love?" Draco said cheekily.

She giggled, "A silly dreamy-eyed schoolgirl thought, honey."

He raised one eyebrow in question. "What would that thought be?"

"Oh, every girl dreams of having lunch in an elegant restaurant with a handsome wizard who can obtain a good table," she stated in a quiet voice.

"I see." Draco smiled before taking a drink.

"But what truly made me smile," she leaned forward and whispered, "is that the handsome wizard I'm dining with is deeply and desperately in love with me." Her tone became seductive, "And I return that love and long to fulfill his wants, desires, and needs." Ginny sat back, calmly took a drink of her water, and opened her menu. "What do you recommend, honey? I haven't dined here in ages."

Unable to hide his shock, Draco stared at the beautiful witch in front of him. He didn't know what he had expected her to say but that wasn't it. "Merlin, witch. You've left me speechless."

She smirked at him. "Darling, I merely asked for a entrée recommendation."

He snarled at her. "Don't tease, witch."

"I love you," she whispered.

"Right oh, that's a good place to start. I love you, Ginevra," he said while taking her hand and kissing the back of it. They sat there simply gazing at each other lovingly for sometime and only stopped when the waiter asked for their orders. Despite the fact that it had taken two and a half hours, both felt the meal passed quickly. Not much was said in words at the meal, the couple spent most of their time merely enjoying each other's company.

As they walked down the street to her Healer's appointment, Draco whispered. "We're going to luncheon together weekly. We need more time like this, when it's only you and I."

------******------

Narcissa placed the book on the nightstand and kissed Cam's cheek. "You must nap now, Cygnus."

"Grandmother, I'm not tired, I'm a big boy. Thuban doesn't nap any longer." The little wizard complained.

"Cygnus, you will lie down for the next hour. I will not return a cranky child to your mother."

"But I'm a big boy, Grandmother."

"Cygnus, lie down and be quiet," Narcissa ordered putting an end to the discussion.

Cam punched his pillow and lay down his head. The Black heir waited for ten minutes before he moved. He left his chambers heading for Thuban's. Once there he went to the back of the closet and pushed on the panel, causing a small door to open. Cam removed the shoebox from its hiding place. He looked inside and saw the picture of his mother in the arms of another wizard along with a number of letters. The little boy made sure to check the hallway before leaving the room and quietly returned to his own placing the box under his bed.

He laid awake upset he still had to nap. He was a big boy after all. He wished his grandfather or his father where there, he would be outside with them flying or riding horses if they were. As his thoughts wandered, he yawned and closed his eyes.

------******------

Draco paced impatiently in the Healer's exam room while Ginny sat on the table. She couldn't take the tension he was creating, so she tried to break it by talking.

"You paced like that the first time you came to a midwitch appointment. Do you remember?"

He sat down in the chair next to her and took her hand. "Yes, I do." He smiled. "Only Merlin knows how you talked me into it, but I'm so glad you did. I'll never forget it, first Sara performed a charm so we could hear the baby's heartbeat and then the charm that showed an image of Serpens floating above your belly." He sighed lovingly and kissed her hand. "I wished I'd been there with Thuban and Cam too."

She looked at him. "I can't believe what a wonderful father you are. I would have never dreamed that..."

"That a Malfoy could be so loving?"

"Yes," she kissed his cheek. "Growing up I thought of you and your family as cold and uncaring, and that Malfoy Manor was a dark cold old mansion which was more of a prison than a home."

"Now, what do you think, my love?"

"That the Manor is bright and airy for its size, that your mother puts all her heart into the decoration of each room, and that Malfoys love their family deeply. Your father's beliefs are still very different from my own. I don't think that he or your aunt view me as family."

"You are my family, Ginevra. You are first in my heart. I love you. I don't care what my father or aunt think. I will keep you safe as will my mother. She loves you always." He stood up and gave her a very passionate kiss, which was broken by a knock at the door.

Ginny's Healer entered and smiled at the couple. "Well, Mrs. Malfoy, I have very good news for you. Your magical powers are back to normal. I want you to stay on the potion I gave you and make an appointment for the end of April."

"So, she's healthy in every way?" Draco asked with excitement in his voice.

"Your wife's fine for a witch who is one month postpartum, Mr. Malfoy. You should continue having someone help her with the children until the baby is sleeping through the night."

"Is it safe for her to play in a Quidditch league?" Draco asked.

"She just said I was healthy, Draco," Ginny hissed.

"You are healthy, Mrs. Malfoy, but… I don't think you should exert yourself for more than two hours twice a week for the next month."

Ginny smiled at Draco. "Well, league play doesn't start for a month. I can limit my practices to two hours twice a week."

------******------

Two loud Apparition pops rang out from the foyer at Black Hall. The sound carried down the hallway and into the playroom where the boys were playing and Narcissa had a wide-awake Leo in her arms. Hearing the sound, the boys jumped to their feet and headed down the hall. It was four o'clock Thursday afternoon, the day their father always took them flying. They were so excited they didn't hear their parents arguing at first. By the time they got to the entryway, their excitement had ceased and they watched in surprise.

"Damn it, Ginevra. Your Healer did not say you could play!" Draco yelled.

"She said not to over exert myself for more than two hours twice a week. The Quidditch team practices two hours twice a week, so I'm fine to do that," she hissed as she started up the stairs.

"We're not done discussing this, Ginevra."

"My Healer said it was fine. We agreed that if it was alright with my Healer…"

Draco cut her off. "I don't think she was in total agreement. I'll agree to let you train for ninety minutes at each practice."

"I'll practice the whole two hours or I'll play on Corner's team."

He smirked at her. "You'll do it my way or I'll floo your mum!"

"You wouldn't dare!" she spat.

"Try me." He smirked. "What will it be, Ginevra, ninety minute practices or a floo call to Molly?"

She went up the stairs without noticing her sons. "I'll stay with your team. I need a quiet soak."

Draco was happy with himself until he turned and saw his sons. The three had shocked expressions on their faces. His mother entered the foyer, Leo in her arms, before anyone talked. She heard Draco arguing with his wife but had not gotten to the area until Ginny had disappeared up the stairs.

"Is there a problem, Draco?" she asked with great concern.

"Not any longer, Mother. Ginny and I have come to an agreement," he said with a smile.

"They're rowing about Mummy playing Quidditch again," Cam started. "They're rowing all the time now."

"Mates, get your things ready for flying. I'll meet you out back in a couple of minutes. Go on now." The boys walked slowly down the hallway.

Once she could no longer see them, Narcissa asked, "Draco, how did Ginevra's appointment go? Is she well? What were you arguing about?"

"Her appointment went wonderfully. She's very healthy for a witch who has had a baby less than a month ago. Ginevra is simply being herself and trying to do too much at once. That is what we were arguing about." Draco greeted his mother with a kiss. "Ginny doesn't realize the increase in her workload now that we no longer live in the manor."

"Yes, running a home is not easy," Narcissa said with a smile as her son removed the baby from her arms.

"The extra workload is unavoidable, we need our own home. Gin refuses to let me hire a nanny. I'm grateful she allows you and Molly to help with the boys."

"Ginevra is a very determined young witch."

"Yes, she is, mother." Draco walked his mother to the front door. "Father informed me you are not attending the Cramer's ball?" An idea formed in his brain and he smirked as his mother talked.

"I loathe that woman. Your father came up with some excuse for us. I look forward to enjoying a peaceful evening at home."

His smirk vanished at her last words. She looked questioning at her son. "Is there a problem, Draco?"

"No, Mother, I had a thought. It appears it won't work though."

"Share, your thought, darling. Maybe it can be worked out."

"I was thinking that instead of bringing the children over for a limited visit, we could leave all four of them with you and Father from four p.m. Saturday until ten Sunday morning. It won't work, you and Father should enjoy…"

"Drop them by at four, darling. Your father and I will have are peaceful evening Friday," Narcissa said enthusiastically. "You and Ginevra will stay for lunch Sunday and then we will go looking at jumping ponies." Narcissa beamed at her son.

Draco smirked, "Shouldn't you ask father first?"

"Don't be silly, Draco. He's been complaining since Ginevra informed him of Friday's plans. He will be thrilled to have the boys for an extended time."

------******------

Ron and Luna sat on the old sofa in the living room of the Burrow, he tried to snuggle his bride to be but she wouldn't hear of it.

"Ronald, we need to finalize a couple of things before your mother, Ginny, and I meet Sunday," Luna said firmly.

"Alright," he groaned out as he sat forward and looked at the parchment with her.

"I'm going to have Lisa as my maid of order. Ginny, Hermione, Padma, Parvati, Mandy, Laura, Megan, and Diana will be my attendants. We're going to have your brothers as groomsmen, right?" Ron nodded. "We'll partner Bill with Hermione, Charlie with Padma… "

Ron stopped her. "I think we should partner Fred and George with Padma and Parvati."

She giggled, "Why, so our guests think they're seeing double?"

He chuckled, "Works for me. Maybe they won't drink so much then."

"Let's continue; Charlie with Mandy, and Percy with Laura. You need to pick four more men."

"Seamus is going to be my best man. And I planned on Neville, Dean, and Michael."

"Oh goodness," Luna sighed. "We'll have to partner Ginny with Bill then. Neville with Hermione, Dean with Megan, and Michael with Diana."

"Why couldn't we partner Ginny with one of the other blokes?" Ron questioned.

"Because, Ron, Ginny dated each one of them. Draco is jealous to no end, do you want a duel at our wedding?"

"If Malfoy ended up on the losing end it would make my day!"

Luna started to cry and headed towards the kitchen and Molly. Ron jumped up and stopped her. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I was only joking. Partner Ginny with Bill or another one of my brothers."

"We're planning the most important day of our lives and you're joking about it."

He kissed her cheek. "I'm a git alright." He took her back to the sofa. "If we're worried about jealousy we should partner Michael with Parvati they're married to each other after all."

"Oh," she smiled, "Let's partner our single bridesmaids with the groomsmen she's must likely to be fond of. We can be matchmakers."

He coughed to hide his intense dislike of the idea and forced a smile. "Whatever you wish, sweetie."

"Good. Now, Harriet is going to be a flower girl and Thuban will be the ring bearer," Luna said.

"Can we talk about that? I'd rather have Gabe or Sirius."

"Gabe always fusses in dress robes, Ron."

"What little wizard doesn't?"

"Thuban, Cam, and Serpens."

"Well, that's not normal. No little wizard likes dress robes. They're to confining and you can't play in them."

Luna sighed, " 'And all the adult witches pinch your cheeks and kiss you. They say your so cute and fawn all over you.' According to Thuban." Luna smiled at Ron. " 'Proper wizards wear them and if you fuss about being in them you'll surely get a sore bottom from Daddy or Grandfather.' Does that make Thuban sound like a normal little wizard to you?"

"Poor little chap," Ron paused. "I'd still rather have Sirius."

"Ron," she exhaled. "Ginny is one of my closest friends. I want one of her children in our wedding. Serpens is too young and Cam wasn't very nice to Harriet. Thuban won't be a problem and he'll even dance with her. Why don't you want him?"

Ron stared at Luna, "Uncle Git! He called me Uncle Git. He said I was the dumbest person he's ever meet. And he looks like Malfoy!"

Luna pushed away from him. "Well, he's always been very nice to me. You have given the boy every reason to dislike you. You're constantly insulting his father in front of him, you've kidnapped him, and you have even yelled at Ginny and caused her to cry in his presence."

"Alright, I get the point."

"Ron, let's do this. We'll go visit Ginny and the boys a couple times next week. You'll be nice to Thuban. No talking bad about Draco and we'll see how he reacts."

"Fine, love," Ron answered with a kiss.

------******------

Ginny sat on the patio refreshed after a long soak. She had decided Draco was right about her training. The sounds of her children and Draco laughing as they flew softened her heart too. "He's not trying to run my life," she thought, "He's trying to keep me safe."

Cam landed first and ran inside the house. Draco walked up to Ginny and had her assist in removing Serpens from the flying harness. He then showed his back to her. "I'm covered with mud?"

"Yes, that's why Cam ran?" She giggled and then cleaned his back with a charm.

"Yup. Thanks, love," he said before noticing her smile. "Does that smile mean I'm forgiven or are you gloating about my mud attack?"

"I've forgiven you," she said and then kissed him.

"Good," he replied and kissed her back. He moved uncomfortably in his shirt. "I still don't feel clean, love. I need a shower."

"Well, hurry up then. I'll wash the boys up for dinner."

Cam listened at his sitting room door. After hearing his father enter his own sitting room, he took the shoebox and tiptoed to his parents' door. Once he was sure Draco was in the shower he went into Ginny's bedchamber. He placed the photo of Harry and Ginny in her nightstand and left the drawer half opened. He removed a letter from its envelope and placed it under the first nappy. The remaining letters he left in the box and placed it mostly under the bed. He placed the baby wipes on Ginny's nightstand. The little wizard ran out of the room through the nursery and listened at the door to his father's bedchamber. When the shower stopped and he could hear his father in his dressing room, Cam returned to his mother's bedchamber. The boy touched a combination of places on the wall and the hidden door opened. He poured a glass of cold water on his baby brother in the nappy area. Leo screamed loudly as his brother ran to the secret passageway and closed it.

Cam heard his father come to his brother's aide and then started down the passageway. He walked out of the cupboard under the main stairway minutes later. He ran down the hall to the family parlor where Ginny sat with Thuban and Serpens. "Mummy, mummy! Leo's crying and Daddy's still in the shower."

"Thank you, sweetheart. Wait here boys. I'll be back soon."

------******------

Draco shot through the door in moments and to his distraught son.

"Hush little man, Daddy's here." He picked up the wet babe and removed the clothing. When he noticed the wipes on Ginny's nightstand, he grabbed a couple of nappies and made for the bed. He had a new nappy on the infant before he noticed the letter. Seeing the words, "To my dearest love" he believed Ginny had left him a note. He rocked the baby back to sleep, placed him in his cot and returned to the letter on the bed.

"To my dearest love;

Our argument still plays in my mind. I am sorry for all the hurtful words I said. I long to hold you in my arms again. Please forgive me, Harry."

Draco dropped the note to the ground without finishing it, his mind raced. "Why did Ginny have this note out? Was she longing for Harry? Would she always love Potter more than she loved him?" The opened drawer caught his attention. The couple in the photo moved as he was closing it, causing him to look inside. He opened the drawer to find a picture of his wife snuggling with Harry Potter. The photo Ginny couldn't keep her arms off of the photo Harry and both stared at Draco.

His heart broke instantly. He loved the fiery haired witch, his witch, his wife, but she loved another and always would. She must have been reading the letter and looking at the photo while he was flying with their boys. "Oh Merlin", he thought, "She wasn't happy because of me. It was her memories of Potter that had her so joyful." The handsome wizard's eyes teared as he bent down to retrieve the letter and he found the box. After opening and seeing the other letters, he placed everything back in it and let it rest on the bed.

"Oh, you've tended to Leo." Ginny's voice floated into the room sweetly.

He's despair turned to hatred when he heard her voice. He grabbed the box, walked over to her, and roughly pushed it into her stomach. "I can't and won't compete with your memories of Saint Potter. I thought loving you was enough but apparently it's not," he spouted. "Harry never really loved you. He was fucking Granger before he broke up with you in his sixth year."

She looked at him in disbelief. He laughed at her and focused his eyes on hers. "Let me show you."

Images of Harry snogging Hermione in a Hogwarts' classroom, where a calendar could be seen identifying the day and year, appeared in her mind. She looked away and cried, "Why are you doing this, Draco? It's painful."

"Yes, it is painful, finding out the one you love, loves another," he spat. "Your Saint Potter only replied to your love letters when he and Granger were fighting. I was there when he died. Potter asked Lupin to look after Granger, your brother, your mother, Luna, and a number of other Order members but he never mentioned you. He never loved you."

Ginny sat on her bed, her face in her hand sobbing. "Stop it, Draco. Stop it. You're breaking my heart."

He removed her hands and looked into her eyes. "We're even then, for you have broken mine. I can no long stay here and listen to you weep over Potter." He placed the box back into her hands before walking to his bedchamber. She followed him absently bring the box with her.

"I'm not crying over Harry," she said through her sobs.

He started packing his things. "Stop lying to me, Ginevra. Do you pretend I'm Potter when we make love? Do you dream that you had his children, not mine?"

"Have you gone mad? Stop packing. I can't pretend you were someone else if I wanted to. You consume me!" She grabbed his hand to stop him and he pushed her away causing her to fall and the box to open. Ginny looked at the contents in shock. "Where did you get these?"

"I told you to stop lying to me, wench! They were in your bedchamber. They're what make you happy following our argument, after all. They must mean a lot for you to hide them for almost seven years."

Ginny hurried to the fireplace, she cast a spell and started a fire. "Look, Draco. They mean nothing." She threw the box in the fire. "See, nothing! I don't know where they came from! I haven't been hiding them," she sobbed. "I'm not crying because of Harry but because of your hurtful words. Please, Draco, listen."

"It's too late, Ginevra," he said before Disapparating with his case.

Ginny threw herself onto his bed. A bed that hadn't been used since they had moved into Black Hall. She cried uncontrollably before a little hand started wiping away her tears. "It's going to be all right, Mummy," Cam whispered in her ear. "Did Daddy go away?"

"Yes, baby, he did."

"Then it will be all better, Mummy. If he's gone you won't row with him anymore," the little wizard said innocently.

"Oh, Cammy," she sobbed. "I love your daddy. I'd rather have him here rowing with me then not have him at all."

"I'm sorry, Mummy," Cam started to cry. "Please don't be so sad. It hurts me right here," the boy pointed to his chest, "when you are so sad." He hugged his mother the best he could. "I'll figure out how to get Daddy back for you, Mummy." The little boy comforted his mother.

Serpens walked into the room from the nursery doorway. He saw his mother and brother. "Did Daddy have to go on business?"

Ginny sobbed louder and Cam wiggled free of her. "Serpens, hug Mummy. She's sad 'cause Daddy nulled her."

The younger boy climbed onto the bed and hugged his mother. "It's okay, Mummy. I love you. Don't cry."

"Keep hugging her, Serpens. I'll get Thuban." Cam ran down the hall calling to his older brother.

"Thuban," Cam called between his sobs. "Thuban!" The little blue-eyed wizard ran down the stairs.

"What's wrong, Cam?" the older boy asked as they walked back up the stairs.

"I was really bad." Cam was able to get out between sobs. Thuban hugged his brother and tried to calm him.

"Did Daddy spank you?"

The younger boy shook his head and sputtered, "No, Daddy made Mummy cry and we can't stop her."

Thuban ran down the hall and into his parents' sitting room. He was puzzled to hear his mother's crying coming from his father's bedchamber. He opened the door to see Serpens hugging a crying Ginny, and his father's dressing room door opened with clothing and his case missing. The boy went to his mother. "I love you, Mummy. What's ever wrong we'll fix it."

"He wouldn't listen. I don't know where he got that photo and the letters. Oh, I love him so much. I can't believe he's gone," Ginny stated through her sobs. "He was so hurt. He doesn't think I love him, but I do." Her head remained in the pillow as she pointed to the fire. "Where'd that shoe box come from?"

Thuban looked at the fire and saw the edge of the shoebox from his hiding place burning. He jumped off the bed, grabbed Cam and pulled him into the sitting room. "What did you do, Cam?"

"I… made… Daddy… think… Mummy… didn't… love… him."

The older boy's rage got the best of him and he punched Cam breaking his nose. "You selfish brat! I hate you!"

Blood ran from the little wizard's nose unchecked. His sobbing turned to a howling. "I hate me, too. Mummy's so sad I need to make her happy again. She wants Daddy."

Thuban handed his brother a tissue box. Cam tried his best to clean his face but his nose wouldn't stop bleeding. "The only way to get Daddy back is for you to tell him what you did. He'll take his belt to your bottom for this. If I figure out a way to get us to Daddy, you won't get scared and not tell the truth?"

"I'll tell Daddy everything. I want Mummy to stop being sad even if I get a very sore bottom. I'm sorry, Thuban. Fix it for me, please." He leaned into Thuban's chest and the two embraced.

"We need to make a floo call to someone to help us. It can't be Grandfather 'cause he doesn't like Mummy," Thuban said.

"And Grandma and Grandpa don't like Daddy, so they won't help," Cam added.

Thuban sat with his chin in his hands thinking for a time. Serpens came out to the sitting room. "Mummy won't stop crying, Thuban."

"I know, Serpens. But I can't think of whom to floo. Who likes Mummy and Daddy being together besides us?"

"Uncle Blaise likes Mummy a lot," Serpens stated.

The older boy smiled and threw Floo Powder into the fireplace. "Blaise Zabini, Hopson Place."

Thuban pulled his head out of the fireplace and gazed at his brothers with disappointment. "He's not home." Moments later he smiled and summoned a house elf. "Simon, go find our godfather. Maybe his elves will tell you where he is. Once you find him, tell him I need him right now. Let him know our father has left Black Hall. Go now." The house elf disappeared. "Let's go check on Mummy," Thuban said and led his brothers out of the room.