Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Four of Hearts by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Four of Hearts

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 9

Five minutes before 1:00, Macey busted through the front door. "I'm here, I'm here," she said out of breath looking flustered. "Line at the bank was complete chaos."

The rest of the three had their suitcases out and were watching TV while they were waiting for her. Harry turned it off with the remote and they stood up waiting for instructions. "Okay, let me summon your trunks and stuff. Okay, Hermione you and I are staying in my room." She waved her wand and they disappeared. "Okay, let me think..Allyn and the kids will be in Jeanna and Karen's old room, third floor will be Karen, John and their kids so that leaves you guys in Bubba's old room."

"Bubba?" Ron asked. "You have a brother named Bubba?"

"Yep, but he won't be there. Okay, ready to go? Let's all hold hands." The four of them linked hands as they stood in the middle of the room. "Deep in the Heart of Texas."

With a loud crack the four vanished and the next thing they knew they were standing outside in a backyard facing at least twenty people of all ages, grinning back at them. Out of the bunch, a tall slender woman with short frosty blonde hair ran towards them. Macey let go of Ron's hand and ran to the woman, hugging her tight.

Harry, Ron and Hermione watched as all of her family surrounded her. A reddish golden retriever jumped up to greet her, kids ran up clinging to her legs, women hugged her, men kissed her on the cheeks. IT was a pretty touching moment. Finally, Ron leaned over to Harry. "I thought only her intermediate family was going to be here."

Smiling, Harry shrugged. "I guess she just has a big family."

"She does," Hermione explained. "Macey's mom remarried when Mace was just six, so some of these pare her stepfamily...don't know which though, they all kind of look alike, but Macey's the youngest of seven."

"Ahh!" Ron yelped when the dog leapt up on him. "Woah..big dog."

"Oh, sorry about that." A tall man with broad shoulders and dark tanned skin came up and tugged on the dog's collar. "Sugar, down!"

Harry knelt down to pet her. "Hey Sugar," he said smiling sadly, since the sight made him think of Sirius.

"I'm Michael by the way," the man said as he held out his hand. "One of Macey's brothers."

"Oh, I'm Harry, sir, Harry Potter and this is Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger."

He shook hands with both of them. "Nice to meet you....ah crap, Michael, no, don't feed the dog jelly beans." He ran off after a little boy with the same eyes and skin as the bigger Michael. Harry and Hermione both had to jump apart when another boy, along with a girl squealed as they ran between them. Kids were everywhere. "Nice family," Hermione beamed.

"Harry," Macey said as she tagged along a shorter woman with short brown hair and brown eyes. "This is my sister, Allyn, she's a witch too, she's been dying to meet you."

"Oh, well it's nice to meet you, Allyn," Harry said as he shook her hand.

"It really is great to meet you. I remember reading about you while I was in school. You're such an inspiration to us all."

Harry blushed slightly embarrassed. "Thanks."

"I thought you were the only witch in your family, Mace," Ron said right before he lifted a leg so a cute toddler in a pink dress could waddle by him.

"Nope, Allyn was the first to become a witch, then me. Our brothers though are Muggles, so maybe it's a female thing. Here, let me introduce you to everyone."

Saying that Macey Marren had a big family was an understatement. Ron had a big family, but Macey had an enormous family. They met Allyn of course, second youngest in Macey's side of the family and married to a Muggle named Jason and had two kids, Benton and Connor. They lived in a small town in Arkansas, where Jason had grown up. Michael Marren, a Muggle as well was married to Mary and they had a three year old boy and named him after Michael. He looked exactly like his father. Tim, the oldest of the Marren side of the family, lived in Dallas happily married to Shelly and had a five year old son, Timothy John, III, and a daughter named, Margot Kennedy. Then there was the Clark side of the family, Macey's step siblings. Her stepfather, Corky Clark, shared three kids with his late wife. There was Bubba Clark, the youngest, who was absent due to a once and a live trip down to Mexico where he was busy scubadiving...his all time passion. Jeanna Clark was married to Owen Williams and together they had two boys, Luke and Clark. Karen Clark was married to John Thompson and they lived in Houston with their two kids, Sara and Jack. They, like Allyn and Jason were only in town for the weekend.

As soon as they met every single member of their family, they all slowly went back inside, some lingered outside to watch their kids or sit in the patio chairs. Everyone pretty much just did their own thing while they mixed and mingled around while dinner was being cooked and prepared. Corky offered the three of them a drink, Harry and Ron accepted a bottle of Bud Lite and Hermione took a glass of white wine. The family took them in and didn't make them feel out of place, the three of them were having conversations with a different member of the family.

Hermione was talking to Karen, about how her kids were so excited when their G-Mommy had told them their Aunt Macey were bringing her friends. "Are they witches too?!" "Wizards? Cool!" Hermione just laughed and asked her which one was her kids again and she pointed them out in the crowd. "Sara's the tall blonde, she's outside right now," she said pointing through the glass windows of the backdoors leading to the yard. "They're looking for bugs, they love to do that ever since Macey showed them where all the good places were."

Harry was sitting on the couch with Allyn, talking about Quidditch and how Allyn didn't play, but loved to go to games. "One of my really close guy friends was on our House team," she told him. "He was a Seeker actually, like you. I haven't been to a game in ages, I'd love to see one again."

"Were you planning on going to the World Cup this year?" Harry asked as he took a sip of his beer.

She sighed. "I would love to go, but it's just so hard getting tickets. Macey had a pair one year and I couldn't go, I was so depressed."

"Well, we'll probably go this year, you should definitely come."

"I would love that, I've never been to the World Cup....oh, excuse me, my little angel is picking on her brother again....Benton, leave him alone!"

Ron was standing up having a conversation with Tim, about how Macey and Allyn got him and Michael back for picking on them while they were growing up. "As soon as they were allowed to do magic," he said with a shake of his head. "They got us back all right. Night before wedding, Allyn thought it would be funny to turn my hair pink while I was sleeping...woke up on my wedding day and saw it in the mirror and nearly $hit a brick."

Ron let out a laugh. "Did she turn it back before the wedding?"

He let out a harsh laugh. "She said she would if I was extra nice to her...it was so hard not to yell at her that day, drove me crazy. Finally she changed it back minutes before the ceremony. I was in the church in the groom's chambers dressed and ready, thinking I had to go out there with pink hair. But, that wasn't as bad as what Macey did to Michael....."

Harry smiled over at Hermione when she sat down next to him. "Isn't Macey's family great?" she asked with a bright smile.

"Definitely, they remind me of the Weasley's a lot...big family full of lots of love." He surveyed the room, taking in all the laughter and joy spreading around the room. "I hope I get this one day."

She placed a hand on his knee and gave it a pat. "You will....you have too much love to give for it to go to waste."

He shared a smile with her. "Same goes to you." He put a hand on top of hers and looked over to see little Margot toddling along in her pink dress. She had cute chubby cheeks, light brown feathery hair and a pink dress that was about as girly as you could get. He watched her walk over to a high table, a red piece of paper dangling off the end got her attention and he saw her put her arms up to grab it. It took him only a second to realize that there was a heavy crystal vase beneath the paper. Before he could even open his mouth he saw her tug the piece of paper hard.

"Margot!" her mom screamed when the vase was about to fall.

"Oh $hit!" Harry yelled and quickly flicked his fingers in the air and the vase stopped inches above her head and the rest of the room was still. Except, Ron, Macey, Hermione and Allyn, since it only worked for Muggles. Harry let out a shaky breath. "That was close."

"What's going on?" Allyn asked as she saw everybody frozen and then gasped when she saw the vase very near Margot's head. "Oh my god," she said as she ran over and picked up the vase from mid air and placed it back from the table.

"I can freeze Muggles," Harry explained. "It was last minute thinking."

"Good thinking," Allyn mumbled.

"Mommy?" Benton asked as she walked out from behind her frozen Dad. "What's going on?"

"Benton?" Allyn asked as she blinked and looked at Harry then her. "Why isn't she frozen?"

Harry grinned and Macey let out a shriek. "Benton! You're a witch!" she yelped as she ran to her and threw her up on her arms. "Allyn, it only works on Muggles!"

Allyn put her hand over her mouth. "Oh my Merlin!" she yelled and then ran over to grab her daughter. "Benton! Sweetie you're a witch like Mommy!"

She giggled when her Mom kissed her cheek. "Mommy, does that make Timmy a wizard too?"

"Huh?" she asked and then turned around to see Timmy, her nephew peeking out behind his mother's frozen legs.

"Timmy!" Macey shrieked and ran to him. "I can't believe it!"

"What?" the five year old boy asked in shock. "Why is my Mommy frozen...and my Daddy?"

"I had to freeze the room, your sister almost got hurt....just a little trick I can do."

"Timmy it only works on Muggles...non-magic people." She grinned and hugged him tight. "You're going to be a wizard and learn magic like me and Aunt Allie, and so is Benton. Oh, I can't believe this. Harry, unfreeze them, I'm dying to tell them!!"

Harry let out a laugh. "You got it," he said and with a flick of his wrist the room was unfrozen.

*******************

The family was thrilled that their would be a new generation of witches and wizards, especially Allyn and Macey. As the night grew on, every one started to leave and say their good byes. Ron, Macey, Harry and Hermione were exhausted due to the drastic time change and they decided to head to bed early, instead of going out.

"We can go out tomorrow night," Macey said as they trudged up the stairs. "I'll have to see what my Muggle friends will be doing and we can all go out."

"Are we going to finally meet your boyfriend, Mace?" Hermione asked while they walked down the hallway.

"Sure, I'll have to call him tomorrow. Guys, this is your room. There's two twin beds and the bathrooms over their on your right."

"All right, thanks Macey," Harry yawned.

"Night, guys," Hermione said before the two girls slipped into Macey's old room she use to share with her sister, Allyn.

It was turned into a guest bedroom a few years ago, when her mom decided to redecorate the house, but Macey had a say on what color the ceiling would be and what comforter to choose from. "This will always be your room," Macey's mom had said to her one day. "No matter where you are."

"You have a nice home, Mace," Hermione said as she started getting ready for bed. "And a wonderful family."

Macey grinned. "Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones."

They said their good nights and fell asleep, but sleeping in the next morning was out of the question. The sound of little footsteps, squeals and giggles echoed from downstairs, thanks the kids. They lingered downstairs, slowly waking up as they sipped on coffee and munched on fresh donuts, Corky had bought early that morning.

Anxious to start the day, the four of them got dressed and piled into Ann's car, while Macey drove them around the city of Dallas, Texas. They went to Northpark Mall and walked around aimlessly to all the shops and clothing stores. Macey made them go into the GAP, her favorite store. "GAP! I've missed you!" she sighed as they walked into the young hip, clothing store. "Guys clothes on the left...come on Hermione, you'll love this store!"

"Women," Ron grumbled to Harry as they watched the girls attack a shelf full of shirts. "What is it with women and shopping?"

"Don't know," Harry shrugged but then nodded his head to the guys side. "Might as well look while we're here, I need some some shirts....maybe shorts too, I'm not use to this Texas heat."

An hour later, they left the GAP bags in tow and completely shopped out. "I'm starving!" Ron moaned as they walked to their car in the parking lot. "I need a big lunch!"

Macey grinned. "Don't worry, I know just the place!"

Thirty minutes later they walked into a burrito store called Freibirds. "Best burritos you'll ever eat."

Ron scratched his head. "What's a burrito? Will it be enough? I'm really hungry."

Macey laughed. "Oh trust me," she said as they stood in the long line that zigzagged back and forth. "It's worth it, the burritos are HUGE. You just go down the line and tell them what you want on it...beef, chicken, rice and cheese....pretty simple. That's what it looks like."

She pointed to a guy carrying a tray to a table and on the tray was a huge long thick shaped log wrapped in foil. "Wow," Hermione said. "It's huge...do they come in different sizes?"

"Yes, but that's the regular....that one over there....see where that big guy is in the corner....he's eating a Monster Burrito."

Ron gaped. "Oh, I'm getting the Monster!"

"Me too!" Harry said as his mouth began to water. "I could eat a hippogriff."

Hermione giggled. "Keep it down, I don't think anyone here knows what that means."

He just winked at her and flashed her a grin. "You're up, Hermione," he told her when they reached the counter.

One by one they went down the line, telling their waiter what they wanted in their burritos. Macey and Hermione got the regular sized, but Ron and Harry stuck to their word and got the monster. "Ten Sickles says neither of them finish it," Macey mumbled quietly to Hermione.

"Oh, I don't know...Ron could probably conquer it....Harry, no...but Ron...Maybe."

Hermione might know Ron very well, but Macey knew her Freibirds. Ron could only eat half of it, while Harry ate more, but still didn't finish it. "I have never been so full in my life," Ron said as he threw down his half eaten burrito.

Macey popped in her last bite. "Should of gotten the regular."

"I didn't finish mine," Hermione sighed. "But it was really good."

"I didn't finish mine the first time I came here either," Macey said with a grin. "Have to get use to it."

"We are definitely coming back here sometime," Ron said as he rubbed his full tummy. "I don't care if we have to Apparate over here just to get one."

"Hey, it's worth Apparating for, that's the truth," she said and then leaned over to fish out her cell phone.

"Macey, I noticed you've been trying to call someone all day," Hermione said when she started dialing. "Are you trying to get a hold of anyone?"

"Yeah," she said grimly. "Jeff....I don't know where he could be, he's not answering his cell."

"Jeff?" Ron asked as casual as possible.

"My boyfriend," she said and then hung up when she got his voice mail again. "It's just not like him, I wrote him to tell him I was coming home."

"I'm sure there's some explanation for it, Mace," Harry reassured her. "Try not to let it get you down."

She gave him a small smile. "I know...thanks Harry. Let's get out of here, I'm ready for a break. We can go back to the house and chill until we head out tonight."

"What's the plans for tonight?" Ron asked as they got up from the table and disposed of their trash.

"My Muggle friends are all going out tonight, we're gonna meet up with them at the Loon."

"The Loon?" Hermione repeated.

"It's a bar," she said with a wink. "We've been going there foryears, the people who work here knows. It's sad."

"Great....more drinking," Ron grumbled. "You're a bad influence, Marren."

"Yeah," she said giving him a smile. "Ain't it great, Weasley?"