Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

Chapter 26

The Second to the Last Promise

Hogwarts

Headmaster's Office

The Past

Ron steps up to the gargoyle and then turns to his wife, "I don't know the password," he says realizing they don't even really know why they are here.

"Neither, do we," Ginny says stepping up behind her brother.

"Ginny," Lavender asks as she embraces her sister-in-law, "you got a note too," she asks.

"Yeah," Ginny says with a small smile.

"I do hope this time it isn't a trap," Neville says to them all in a worried tone of voice.

"I don't believe we are having trouble getting along," Lavender reasons.

The four of them jump nearly out of their skins as the gargoyle starts to move and the rotating stairs start moving upwards. They exchange looks and then quickly hop on the stairs as they take them up to the headmaster's office. "Come in," a voice calls before they even get to the door way. The four push their way into the awe inspiring office of their former headmaster.

Harry turns around to look at them as they enter the room. The four of them instantly gasp at the sadness evident not only on his face but within his eyes. "Harry what is going on here," Ron demands wonderingly.

Harry stands up and joins the four of them, "please have a seat," he says pointing to table where Dumbledore, Severus, and Minerva are already sitting. "We have a lot to talk about," he continues.

The four exchange nervous glances, "Harry, where's Hermione," Ginny asks knowing if she just got engaged she would be with her fiancé.

Harry looks at her with an expression she can't place but knows there is a shadow of such pain she knows she never wants to feel it herself. "I don't know where she is," he says in an even voice. "I have a favor to ask you," he says sitting down himself.

"What's wrong Harry," Lavender says instantly concerned.

"I ask that none of you ever bring up my proposal up with Hermione, ever," Harry says looking down at his hands. "And that you not blame her, it isn't time," he says looking up at the shocked faces of his family. "Promise me," he asks them almost pleadingly.

"We promise," Ron says in shock.

"What happened," Ginny asks as she agrees with his favor, though knowing it will be hard.

Harry shakes his head, "things will be known when it is time," he says leaving them confused. "However that is not why you were asked to come here," he says to them.

"You just had your heart broken and you want to push it away," Neville asks softly.

"It's not so much as want to, Neville, it is I have to," Harry says looking at Neville. "Things have just gotten much worse and as much as it pains me it is for the best Hermione said no," he says still looking at Neville as he speaks in his normal voice. "I need all of you to watch over her, to not let this get in the way of anything between you and her. I also need you not to tell her where I am or how to find me," he asks them and they are surprised with the seriousness in his voice. "What you are about to hear will shock and even surprise you but you need to know and I need your help with it," he continues as he looks over at Dumbledore.

"We have just received word that Voldemort is increasing his efforts," Dumbledore starts saying.

"That is nothing new," Ron says to him looking confused with why this is considered important when all he wants to do is comfort his brother.

"Ah true," Dumbledore agrees with him, "however what he is increasing his efforts on is, well, new at this point in time," he says confusing them further.

"I don't understand," Ginny says looking lost.

"The prophecy," Minerva says knowing they will understand.

"The Prophecy," Ron says shaking his head.

"It was destroyed that night at the Department of Mysteries," Neville says blushing as he remembers his clumsiness.

"Stop it Neville," Harry says softly. "It wasn't your fault and it was the best thing that could have happened," he says looking the shocked Neville in the eyes. "It helped to keep him from learning it and that has been a great asset to this battle," he continues in a defeated tone. "If only I was good enough to complete it," he whispers as he leans back in his chair.

"What does this new increase in efforts have to do with a destroyed Prophecy," Ron demands looking at Dumbledore.

"He has learned there is someone who knows what it says," Severus answers. "He has just realized something about Prophecies," he continues. "He knows it must be told to someone before there can ever be a record of it," he says shocking the four of them. "He has been trying to locate this someone," he finishes.

"We need to find him," Ron almost shouts out standing up ready to go.

"Ron," Harry says, "Sit down," he asks him softly.

Ron sits down confused, "we have to locate this person before they can tell him anything," he says wondering why Harry isn't overly concerned.

"We know where he is," Harry says to him.

"What," Ginny demands.

"Where," Neville asks.

"Here," Dumbledore says easily and confusing all but himself, and Harry.

"At Hogwarts," Lavender says with a sigh of relief.

"Yes," Harry says to her.

"How long," Minerva asks wondering if she can pinpoint this person within those she knows has just arrived.

"Sir," Harry asks Dumbledore, "Just how long have you been here," he says shocking everyone within the room.

"Albus," Minerva asks shocked.

"Professor," Severus says at the same time. Ron, Lavender, Ginny and Neville however are at a loss of words.

"We will inform you of what you need to know of the Prophecy," Harry says to them. "Later," he says heading them off. "However," he continues. "It seems while he is doing this it is a perfect chance to find his weakness and learn how to rid the world of his poisonous essence," Harry says leaning back in his chair once again.

"Why was it best for Hermione to say no," Ginny suddenly bursts out.

Harry looks at her for a moment as though deciding if he wants to tell her or not. Shrugging he decides they have the right to know, "because this way she won't be forced to live with the fact I will be murdered by Voldemort or that I murdered him," he whispers. "She deserves someone that will be able to be with her for a long time, my card is running out of places to punch," he says looking sadly into Ginny's eyes. "I don't want her to suffer, and if she had said yes, what you are about to hear will kill her," he finishes as he looks down at the table.

"She should have the choice," Lavender says to him.

"She said no before I knew of this new search for my life," Harry says looking at her. "I don't want her to agree to something she doesn't want thinking," he drifts off, "I don't want her pity," he says finally. "I need you to promise not to bring any of this up with her," he asks them again.

The four of them reluctantly agree to his request. "We swear Harry," Ginny voices their agreement.

A/N: I know it's another short chapter, but I swear I am trying to go as fast as I can. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter as well as the others. Thanks again for reading and don't forget to review.