Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

A/N: I do apologize for the amount of time it has taken to post this chapter. I was going to do it yesterday, but I noticed some fatal errors. I won't bore you with the details, only say they are now corrected, um, hopefully. There is one more chapter after this one, so this is getting much closer to the end. Oh, and by the way this one is a cliffy, just so you know. Well, maybe not, but it sounded good. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed.

Chapter 41

Memory

Potter Ranch

The Current Day

It has been two weeks since Hagrid brought Harry home. It has been two long weeks of waiting, worrying, exhaustion and oddly enough, completion. Though things have changed greatly the world will not wait for it's savior to awake, so people are forced to leave his side at times. David and Alexandra Granger have become very capable at Floo Powder and they visit nightly and return for work the next morning. The Weasley's have more or less moved in, saying they will only stay until Harry wakes, but everyone knows they will never leave, at least permanently. For this has become another home for them, they will return to the Burrow, but they will come here often. The professors having to return to Hogwarts almost daily to complete their work there, so they worked it out so that they could visit in shifts and sometimes they even stay the night.

Everyone was more than slightly surprised to learn from Dobby that most of the rooms had in fact been furnished. It was with a shock that fateful day when Dobby had innocently asked them if they wished to stay in their quarters. To whish the only person to deny his request was Hermione. She absolutely refuses to leave Harry. She would however, like for her stuff to be brought to Harry's room because she will be staying there. Soon everyone learned there was no talking sense into her, for she had every inclination to sleep there as well.

Someone once asked Dobby why the room had been furnished, he had simply answered, 'master Harry got bored so he decided he needed something to do so he made them after all,' which sounded more like a quote than an explanation. No one has brought it up since, and no one has asked about the master bedroom.

For tonight's watch it turns out it is Dumbledore's turn. At this very moment you can find him sitting in a rocking chair beside the bed trying to read a book. You could also find Hermione on the other side of the bed on a bed Dobby brought in especially for her, snoring softly, yet not really sleeping peacefully.

Dumbledore looks up from his book to look at the determined young woman. He smiles softly knowing Harry has met his match. The young man had pushed her away from himself, while at the same time fiercely protecting her with his life. He knows when Harry awakes he will try again to push her away, fearing by being near him he will taint her soul. Just as Albus knows this, he also knows this equally protective, stubborn and loving young woman will have none of it. She now knows how he feels about her and what he was going to ask her that day, she will not allow him to leave her sights, not even when she gets what she has been denied.

His eyes twinkle a little bit brighter as he realizes this. Hermione is going to give Harry hell until he gives up and lets her love him, until he lets her make him the man he should be, happy and unconditionally loved. Their love is a special and rare one. It is a true love. One so pure and true he has never seen the likes in all his one hundred and sixty plus years of life. As he thinks of the understatement of his thoughts he finds himself smiling wider.

His gaze slowly shifts away from her sleeping form to the man laying unconscious on the bed, a man who has given so much of his life, of himself to save his family. A family he believed didn't return his love. His eyes rise slowly to see the sleeping face of the boy he calls grandson, only to find said boy looking curiously back at him. Albus gasps softly as this fact slowly enters his shocked brain.

Albus quietly closes the book he had been reading and sets it to the side. Slowly standing from his chair he makes his way over to the bed. Slowly and as softly as he can he sits on the side of the bed, being watched by two emerald green eyes. "You have given us quiet a scare young man," Albus whispers in greeting.

Harry raises his eyebrows in question, Albus chuckles softly at this. "I am not going to ask you if you know me," Albus says. "I will instead introduce myself to you, my name is Albus Dumbledore, you can call me Albus," he says as he places his hand on top of Harry's that is lying on the top of the covers.

Harry smiles softly at this, he swallows dryly, "and I am not," he whispers in a cracking voice. "Last I knew I was Harry," he tells the smiling older man.

Albus smiles brightly as he hears this, knowing that at least Harry knows who he is. The question remains who else he knows, what all he can and cannot remember and if there is any damage. "How are you feeling," Albus finally asks.

Harry closes his eyes as he tries to catalog all he is feeling, "I feel like I have been hit by a truck and dragged underneath for a while, for most of the journey to nowhere," he explains softly.

Albus reaches over for a glass of water and gently helps Harry to drink some, "then I am glad you do not look like it," he says with a smile.

Harry closes his eyes for a moment, "as am I," he responds as he reopens his eyes. Harry listens to his surroundings for a moment and a soft sound catches his attention. Slowly turning his head in the direction of the soft snoring his eyes widening in surprise as not only does he realize who is there, but he also remembers her and the last time they seen each other. He swallows nervously as he tries to sort his memories, "what is she doing here," he finally asks in a shaky voice.

Albus sigh as Harry asks this, "she is here because she is worried about you and because she loves you," he answers in return to the question.

Harry starts to shake his head at this but stops instantly as the pain courses through him, closing his eyes he fights against the darkness calling his name. As he tries to control his breathing he remembers everything that happened that day, how he knew he wasn't meant to be the one she was with, for he could never make her happy. "No," he finally whispers in a pain filled voice. "She is not meant to love me," he insists. "She is meant to love another, she is meant to love the man of her dreams," he tries to argue as he also tries to hide his pain.

"Which is you Harry," Albus says honestly hating the pain he can see in Harry's eyes and can hear in his voice.

"It can't be me," Harry argues.

"Ah but it is Harry, it is," Albus repeats. "When she wakes up and learns you are awake you will learn three things at least," he tells him.

"What things," Harry asks confused, but then again with the gap in his mind that isn't too hard.

"How glad she is to see you awake," Albus starts to explain. "Then she will more than likely be mad as hornets and tell you off for pushing her away," he pauses as Harry blushes, "then she will smoother you with her love, she will prove to you exactly how much she loves you and that she will never leave your side again," he speculates.

"She deserves someone better than me, she deserves more than I could ever offer her," Harry argues.

"She knows what you were going to ask that day," Albus says as he watches Harry go pale. "Marrying you was," he pauses, "is all she wants," he continues. "She loves you Harry, just as you love her," he tells him. "Don't lock her out, let it be her choice, for she has already chosen you," he continues to tell the pale young man, whom they all feared they would never see again and then that he would never wake.

Harry sighs as he lets these words run through his mind as he tries to ignore the darkness, "what do you suggest I should do," he finally asks.

Albus smiles, "let her in Harry, let her love you and let yourself love her," he offers sagely.

"She wasn't supposed to love me," Harry whispers as he looks over at the topic of their discussion.

"Just as I am sure you weren't supposed to love her or anyone else," he asks more than states.

Harry pauses to think about this, he knows what Albus has said is truth, but he can't remember why it is. All he knows is the feelings he feels and that it feels odd to have someone care about him. About him for him, the real him not what everyone else thinks him to be. "I have a hard time believing anyone could actually love me, for me," he finally sums up his scattered thoughts as he closes his eyes.

Albus reaches up and brushes the hair out of Harry's eyes, "everyone here loves you Harry, you are apart of their," he pauses as Harry opens his eyes. Glancing down at the young man over his half moon spectacles he makes sure Harry understands what he is saying, "our family," he corrects. "You have been for a long time, you just never noticed," he tells him.

"I get the feeling I was trying to protect them," Harry answers yet it could be taken as a question. "Therefore I have to say it is kind of hard to notice when you are too busy trying to protect them," he pauses. "Sir, can I ask a question," Harry asks.

"You just did," Albus smiles, "but go ahead," he chuckles softly.

"Did I succeed, what happened," Harry finally asks.

Albus looks down at Harry with concern, he knows Harry is having some difficulty with his memories and for him to remember what he was to have done is amazing, then again Harry is amazing. "What do you remember about that night," he asks instead.

"I remember arriving at a dark field and it was storming something terrible," he pauses slightly as he tries to remember more. "I remember a group of people with red hair and some without surrounding me as though looking to me for answers. I can't see their faces in the dark, but I feel I know them. Then the next thing I remember is waking up to find you sitting there," Harry answers truthfully wondering at the pained expression on Albus's face. Harry swallows roughly, "did I do it," he finally asks as a fear so horrid starts to seep into his soul.

Albus catches the flash of fear in Harry's eyes, "you did it Harry," he says quickly hoping to stop Harry from worrying.

Harry swallows again, "how," he pauses and then sighs softly, "how do you know," he finally asks.

This time it is Albus's turn to sigh softly, "even though it seems there are many things you can't remember. You were able to capture his soul in his wand," he starts to explain. "You were also able to ensure that Hagrid would be able to find it and your wand as he was searching for you," he answers truthfully.

Harry nods his head in acceptance of his words. There is silence for a moment, "have you taken care of it," he finally asks.

"For the moment it is in a safe place until we can find some place more permanent for it," Albus answers him.

"Red hair," Harry says confusion written clearly on his face. "A man with red hair," he pauses and shakes his head slightly. "Two men with red hair," he corrects. "I think there names start with B and C, but at this point I can't be sure," he confesses. "Anyway, I had the two of them looking for and working on curses, wards and such," he continues. "Ask them about it," he finishes in a pained whisper.

Albus can't help but smile at the young man. He also can't help the pain in his own heart when he sees the pain this man is going through, he can't help feeling prouder of him as each second passes, "thought of everything did you," he teases.

Harry smiles softly, "not at all," he counters. "Though it did seem a good place to start, even I know many things are left to be done," he pauses. "Though there seems to be a lot of gaps in my memory," he finally admits.

"There are many things left to do," Albus agrees easily. "As for your memory, give it time Harry. You have suffered quiet a blow, give it time," he encourages.

Harry nods slightly, "at least I can remember more now then when I first woke," Harry admits. "My mind couldn't or wouldn't supply me with any information. That is, until I saw you and her," he says looking over to Hermione. "I didn't remember you," he admits trying to fight the yawn and to keep his eyes open. "But I do now, though not all of it," he says looking back at Albus. "I know you are like a grandfather to me, but I can't tell you how we met," he explains.

Albus smiles softly and encouragingly, "give it time Harry, though I am honored you remember me as much as you do," he says truthfully. "You are tired, you should sleep Harry, you need your rest," Albus says with a knowing smile.

Harry slowly shakes his head and stops at the onslaught of pain. He inhales deeply and slowly tries to reopen his eyes. "I know I am tired and should sleep, but not yet," he says. Albus tilts his head in question. Harry smiles softly as he looks over at the sleeping bundle on the bed next to his. "If I remember her correctly and if she feels as you say," he starts and tries to shrug nonchalantly. "Even if not, it appears she has been here for awhile." He observes and Albus can't help but nod in agreement of this understatement. "She will be very displeased not only with you but with me if she was not immediately informed of my being awake," he finishes as he looks back to Albus. "I hate to wake her, but waking her is better than suffering the wrath of Hermione Granger," he deduces logically.

Albus can't help but laugh at this, "you remember her well Harry," he agrees still laughing. "I didn't think about that and I am grateful you have helped me not to get on her bad side," he thanks him. "Would you like to be alone with her," he finally asks as he brings his laughter under control.

"You're kidding right," Harry asks in return, "I need you here to protect me," he says in a mock whining voice which only causes Albus to laugh.

"She won't do anything, at least not until you are better able to defend yourself," Albus explains.

"I don't know," Harry admits softly.

"How about this," Albus starts, "I wait for a few minutes to make sure you will survive and if all is well I will leave the two of you alone," he offers.

"Okay," Harry agrees reluctantly.

"I'll wake her," Albus says as he gently pats Harry on the shoulder and then stands up. Making his way over to Hermione's bed he sits down on it just as he did with Harry. Placing his hand on her shoulder, "Hermione," he calls out to her trying to wake her from her slumber. She grumbles in her sleep causing Harry to chuckle at the sound of it and Albus to smile. He shakes her shoulder softly, "Hermione," he repeats in a louder voice.

"Mmm," a female voice says groggily.

"Come on there Ms. Granger," Albus chuckles at her fighting against awaking, "wake up," he says.

Slowly two brown orbs open and look up at the former Headmaster, "Professor," she says instantly sitting up, worry lacing her voice. She knows the only reason for the Professor to wake her is if something bad has happened to her Harry. "What," she gasps out tiredly, "what's wrong," she asks before he can say anything.

Albus places his hand on her tense shoulder, "relax Ms. Granger," he says softly and reassuringly. "There is nothing wrong," he says as she opens her mouth to re-ask the question. "However," he says to her, "there is someone who would like to see you," he says to her.

She looks at him confused, "who would want to see me," she asks.

"I have to go out for a minute," he says trying a different tactic, "will you watch Harry for me," he asks.

She sighs as the worry leaves her body, she had been afraid Harry had died or gotten worse and she doesn't know if she could handle it. "Of course," she says as she pushes the covers off of her. Albus stands up and she throws her legs over the side.

"Just so you know, memory is a problem, but not as much as we feared," he says cryptically as he walks out the door, leaving a confused and dazed Hermione behind.

Hermione watches him go and shakes her head at his words, wondering what they mean. Slowly she stands up and watches her feet as she makes her way up to Harry. She has stumped her toes too many times not to watch where she is going. She gently sits down on the bed and for the first time looks at the man she loves with all her heart and soul. As she looks up, she sees something she had feared she would never see again, she gasps as her brown eyes meet green. "Harry," she whispers in shock.