Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

A/N: Thanks to all who have reviewed. Oh here's where we learn how Harry became a Commander, we're getting there, slowly, but we are getting there. Thanks again, Jade.

Chapter 28

Okay, Why Am I Here

Ministry of Magic

The Past

"Professor Snape," a confused yet oddly excited voice calls off to the side of the walking professor.

Severus Snape stops in mid-step looking in the direction of the voice, a voice he had hoped to never hear again, "Potter," he says in his usual drawl.

Harry catches up with his former professor easily, "it's good to see you sir," Harry says as he gets even with Severus.

This confuses Severus greatly, "I highly doubt that," he says in a bored tone of voice and is surprised when his former student actually smiles at him.

"Actually sir," Harry says walking along side with someone he once never thought he would. "As it turns out," he continues, "I've been, well, needing someone to burst my bubble," he pauses for a second, "deflate my ego," he says with a smile.

"What are you going on about Potter, I have an important meeting to be getting to," Snape growls wondering if he is about to bring up the time he saved his life.

"I apologize sir," Harry says as they continue to walk, "it's just that," he drifts off.

"Out with it Potter I don't have all day," Snape snaps.

"No one here seems to make me feel," he pauses a moment, "well, more like scum than you sir and it is something I've needed for a while. It seems people here are incapable of such things," Harry rushes out. "Thank you sir, I hope you enjoy your meeting sir," he says and before Severus can react Harry quickly disappears down a hallway.

Severus stops as he watches the retreating back of one of his former students, a student who has both angered and confused him greatly. With a shake of his head he continues his walking as his mind returns again to the boy he just spoke with. A lot has happened since he first met the runt, one thing in particular has happened Severus never thought was possible, he has come to respect the great Harry Potter. Shaking his head in disgust with himself he pulls open the door to the meeting office to find some people already there. His Headmaster Professor Albus Dumbledore, the Headmistress Professor Minerva McGonagall, several other members of the Order of the Phoenix, the Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge and what seems to be a group of Magic Military Commanders. A sight he has not seen since before the murders of the Potter's, a sight he had hoped never to see again. With a nod toward his fellow coworkers and Order members Severus Snape sits down in one of the three empty chairs.

"We have two more to show before we can start this meeting," Fudge says, "and although it is against my better judgment our new Commander will also be joining us," he tells them and the disgust can be heard in his voice.

"Who is this new Commander," Mr. Weasley asks interested.

"Someone who you know," Fudge says. "Someone who has yet to hear he is the new Commander," he continues. "I gather he has brainwashed the whole lot of you," Fudge says looking towards everyone but the person to his left, namely Percy Weasley.

At hearing this Severus can't help but raise an eyebrow, "Brainwash sir," he asks wondering who besides Potter has ever upset the Minister this much and finds himself oddly excited to learn who this person is. As he hears the Minister say this he knows this person, who ever he is, will be on the side of Albus Dumbledore and not very favorable of the Minister.

"His test scores are the best this department or any other have ever seen," a General Severus doesn't know says.

"Which is the only reason I have allowed this to continue," Fudge says, "I do however want that test rewritten," he orders them.

"We are having him work on it right now," General Adams says in answer.

"Him," Fudge growls out.

"Who better," the first General asks, "he got a perfect score, something that has never happened,' he continues to inform the rest who don't know who this new person is.

"General Owens that is completely irrelevant," Fudge says angrily.

"His service record is impeccable," Admiral Ackbar says in his quiet voice. "He is the best Commanding Officer his own department has ever seen, and that sir is saying something," he continues to intrigue the others with whom this new person might be.

"And he hasn't been informed of this," Severus can't help but ask.

"Goodness no," Percy says to the group at large, "it wasn't necessary until the security check was passed," he continues in his snobby voice. Percy Weasley has yet to talk to his parents or other members of the family even though they are now in a meeting to discuss the war against Voldemort.

"Who is he," Tonks asks more than curious, "and why, isn't Harry here," she asks looking around the table. "He is after all the Head Auror," she says knowing in her heart Fudge doesn't want him there.

This however is news to not only Mr. Weasley but to Severus as well. "He's what," Mr. Weasley asks. "Why didn't I know," he asks Tonks who blushes deep red at her slip.

"Um," she says trying to buy some time.

Just then the door opens and two people walk in, General Davis and Head Auror Harry Potter, "I still don't understand what it is I am doing here," Harry says to the General.

"It will be explained momentarily," Davis says to the boy behind him while trying desperately not to smile, he likes this kid. Davis points to the free chair between Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape.

"Have a seat Mr. Potter," Fudge growls out distastefully, ignoring the surprised looks of those in the room with them.

Harry looks over at the Minister and then at his former Headmaster who covertly nods his head telling him it is okay. Harry slowly takes the seat out from under the table and sits down. Everyone there can see confusion written on his face, which oddly enough is mirrored on most of those around the large table.

Fudge decides to see how many members of the Order under Dumbledore are in this room, "you know most of these people, do you not Mr. Potter," he baits the newcomer.

"Sir," Harry questions innocently, "the only one's I know are of course, both Mr. Weasley's, my former Professors, and those who I am in the same department with," Harry answers not giving anything away. "Which amounts to very few who are present here sir," he answers though in fact the number is more than that; he knows almost all of them, all but a couple of the Military Officers.

Fudge stiffens at this, hating the fact he didn't get the answers he had wanted, "well it seems everyone here knows you," he snarls trying to catch Harry in a lie.

Harry can't help but roll his eyes at this comment, "the misfortune of being who I am, sir," he answers honestly. Some of the people can't help but snort at this comment knowing him personally, therefore knowing exactly how much he dislikes his fame.

Fudge instantly realizes his error as he glares at Harry, "right," he says snobbishly. "Then we will forgo the introductions," he continues, "Admiral Ackbar you will begin the meeting," he orders.

"Yes Minister," Ackbar says as respectfully as he can muster. "As everyone here should know, the Dark Lord has returned and has made his presence undeniable," Ackbar starts knowing full well they could have had the upper hand if Fudge had listened to Harry. "This meeting is to discuss our Military Commands and who is to be put where," he sums up.

"It seems Death Eater activity has run over into the world of Muggles," General Davis says from there. "Intelligence reports that last night thirty Muggles were killed in a raid," he informs the shocked group.

"We are going to be sectioning off different units of the Ministry," Ackbar continues where Davis left off. "We are requiring everyone to test for placement,' he informs them. "However, we are only going to suggest to the Commanders who should be their Second in Command and Squadron Leaders," he says looking around the room.

"We will have to instruct the new Commanders, but we will also give them nearly free reign with their Battalions and of who will be able to enter," Davis says.

"I hope you don't literally mean free reign," Harry asks voicing the concerns of a lot of those in the room.

"No, Mr. Potter," Davis says with a smile, "but I can understand how it may have sounded like that," he says.

"The Commanders will have to report to us, but how they run their Battalion is up to them," Ackbar clarifies.

"So let's say Professor Snape and I are Commanders," Harry says trying to understand their true meaning. "Professor Snape would run his crew," he pauses, "sorry, his Battalion as he runs his potions," he says with all honesty and no resentment can be heard in his voice, for there is none. "Though I would run it much more differently," he says wondering, if he understands their meaning.

"Exactly," Owens says with a smile. He likes this kid, he knows what he wants and knows how to do things most others are afraid to or don't know how to.

"Okay, that I can handle," Harry whispers with a nod as he sits back in his chair.

"We will send the new Commanders to their training right after this meeting and it should take a week to complete," Ackbar says. "However we will have the Commanders tell us if they already know of possible Second in Commands and Squadron leaders so we can contact them and test them if they haven't already taken the exam," he informs the group. "If they do not pass the placement exams, the Commanders must have a good reason to have them placed in their positions," he informs them.

Harry looks around the room, confusion still written on his face, "I'm sorry," he says looking over at Ackbar, Owens, and Davis, "but why exactly am I here," he finally asks.

Everyone but Fudge and Percy smile at his question, Snape however, only smirks though for him it could be called a smile. "Because you have been promoted," Fudge snaps causing even Snape to jump in surprise.

Harry looks over at the Minister unfazed, "sir," he says softly holding his temper in check, "I took the Military placement exam, thus forfeiting my former position," he reminds all who are there what the exam entailed. "Therefore how could I possibly be promoted," he finishes his question.

"I believe I can answer," Ackbar says with a smile loving how Harry so easily and yet respectfully puts the Minister in his place, "that question," he continues as Harry looks over at him and Ackbar is once again awed with how much Harry looks like James, "Commander Potter," he finishes.

Harry blinks in surprise and disbelief as he hears this last part, "you're joking right," he asks softly. Severus looks over at Harry in shock as well, however for him the shock has to do with the surprise Harry has just expressed. It is evident to him Harry never expected this and he finds himself feeling something for the brat he never thought he would, he never thought possible, pride.

"Congratulations Potter," Fudge all but snarls distastefully as he and Percy stand up, "General Owens I expect a full report on the rest of this meeting on my desk by three today," he says as he walks out of the room.

Harry looks around the room again, "okay," he whispers slowly in disbelief, "just exactly when did I step into the Twilight Zone," he asks no one with a soft whisper and not only does Dumbledore smile at the reference, Snape does as well.