Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

A/N: Thanks to all of you who have reviewed. It seems there are only eight more chapters to go until this one is completed. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 34

Only Twenty Some Odd People

Head Quarters:

Phoenix's Order

The Past

Harry stands up at the front of the gathered group, "thank you all for coming here today," he starts off. "I know a lot of you don't have a clue as to why this meeting has been called, I do apologize for the secrecy, but in a few minutes I believe you will come to understand," he says to them receiving nods in agreement. "I will now hand this meeting over to the man whom we all know and trust, the man who has been here from the beginning of it all, the man who gives us hope, Professor Dumbledore," Harry says stepping away from the center of the stage.

"Thank you Harry," Dumbledore says to Harry as he watches the young man walk off the stage. A heavy load settles on his heart as he realizes just exactly why they are here and what the outcome of it could mean for one young man in this group. He knows Harry understands and is prepared to do what is needed to continue. He is willing to sacrifice so many things for the sake of others, for the sake of those he calls family.

Harry sits down in the chair next to the one where Albus sits and smiles up at Dumbledore and give a reassuring nod to the older man. "We have called this meeting because we have received very important information on an attack that will happen in two weeks time. An attack we know Voldemort will be in himself," he informs the gathering. "We need to act on this and use this knowledge for our benefit," he continues. "What we need now is to bring together everything we know, every tactic, every persons input so we can defeat Voldemort," he says letting everyone know just what it is they are here for. "It is time," he says but only a small few understand exactly what he means.

Ron looks over at Harry and for the first time realizes it is time for Harry to face the most evilest of beings known and Ron swallows as he also realizes his brother may never be coming back from that confrontation. He silently vows to himself to spend more time with Harry and to tell him everything he has always pushed off until later. To tell him, thanks and that he's more of a brother than a friend.

Four hours later the meeting is settled, the groups slowly depart with heavy hearts and weary souls. They know many will be lost during this confrontation, but they all know their Commanding Officers will do all they can to protect them. For most there, the one thought on their mind being, as long as we have Harry there is still hope. Little did they know, within two weeks from this very night their worlds will be turned upside down and inside out, little did they know, for some this will be the last time they will see Harry. For when the battle is done and over with, the only causalities of the battle will be remarkably lower than they had feared, but at the cost some of them never wanted to pay, most were unwilling to pay, a cost they realized to late was required for them to survive. The only causalities being improvable, there are no remains and no one was witness to their demise. The causalities being those listed as Tom Marvolo Riddle commonly known as Lord Voldemort and The Boy-Who-Lived, mostly known as Harry James Potter.

Albus Dumbledore remains in his seat as people filter out of the meeting room, he slowly looks over at the figure beside him. A man in his own right, a man who has so much to bare and who bares it willingly and honorably, "Harry," he finally says into the quiet room.

"Sir," Harry says back to him.

Albus can't help but smile at this, "how many times do I have to tell you, you can call me Albus," he asks.

"Perhaps one more time sir," Harry says with a smile in return.

Albus shakes his head at this, "you realize what this means," he asks the question he has needed to ask since before this meeting started.

"I do," Harry answers honestly and with a small nod of his head.

"Are you ready," Albus asks.

Harry reaches into his pocket and removes an envelope, "I will do everything in my power to protect my family sir, I will succeed," he vows softly yet sternly.

Albus looks down at the envelope in Harry's hand, "if you are to win what do you need to have that for," he asks pointing at the envelope.

"I will win," Harry says, "but that doesn't mean I will survive," he answers honestly.

"Don't talk like that," Ron says as he hears this last part of their exchange.

"It is a truth I will not let go," Harry says looking over at Ron. "In this envelope is a letter to," he shrugs, "the people important to me," he says. Turning to look at Dumbledore he extends the hand with the envelope out to him, "promise me you will read this to only those we have talked about and only when the Ministry has pronounced me dead," he pauses and smiles slightly as a thought comes to him, "and read it in the library," he concludes.

Albus looks at Harry, "the library," he says wondering if he understands him correctly.

"First floor, the chairs will be there and ready," Harry answers the question, "around the center Crest of Hogwarts," he concludes.

Albus reaches out his hand and takes the envelope from his former student reluctantly, "I promise Harry," he finally agrees.

"You can't," Ron almost shouts out in anger.

"Ron," Harry says causing Ron's anger to defuse quickly. "I don't want to die," he tells his brother honestly, "I don't," he repeats.

"What do you want," Ron asks in a sad almost desperate whisper.

"To marry the woman of my dreams, to have a home, to have a couple of children who promise to make trouble for Professor's Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape. I want to have a Christmas dinner with you and your family over at Hermione's and my home, with her parents there. I want to be able to tell Hermione I love her and to hear it in return, that Ron is what I want," Harry answers truthfully. "But I know what I have to do," he continues. Ron opens his mouth, "I have to," Harry cuts him off. "I have to," he repeats softer, "if the people I have just said, my family, are to be able to have a life of their own and are to be able to live the lives they are meant to," he says.

"It won't be the same if you aren't there," Ron says in a whisper.

"No it won't, but I have complete faith in you," Harry says in return.

"Faith," Ron repeats confused.

"Yes Ron, faith," Harry confirms. "I have faith that you will continue on, that you will live your life to the fullest, that you will protect Hermione and tell her how I feel about her, I have faith that you will live on, that you will pass on our times together, our highs and lows, our ins and out's," he explains to his tearful friend and brother. "I have faith that you will walk outside in the snow and make a snowball and throw it at a target, hopefully Hermione, Ginny, Fred, George, Charles, Bill, even Minerva, Severus, or Albus here and then shout out to the sky above, 'that one's for you Harry' and then go on and have the best snow fight you know how and not worry too much about my absence. For you see Ron, you, your family, my family," he adds in a whisper, "Hermione, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Hagrid, are who I am doing this for," he continues.

"Why does it have to be you who, has to save the world," Ron asks in a child like voice.

"I am not saving the world," Harry counters with a small shake of his head.

"Your not," Ron asks confused.

Harry smiles as he shakes his head, "No I'm not. There are too many people on the earth to save, millions of them. If I was to try and save them it would be impossible, instead I am trying to save the lives of twenty some odd people, not the world Ron, never the world," Harry says in return. "Twenty some odd people are all I want to save," he says again.

"Twenty people," Ron says stunned.

Albus who has been watching this exchange suddenly understands what it is his former student means and he finds he is honored by what he is hearing, he is honored to know such a great man. "Yes Ron, twenty some odd people," Harry repeats.

"Who on earth would be worth more to us then you, who are these twenty people," Ron demands.

"You want their names," Harry asks in return.

"Yes," Ron says wondering at the look in Harry's eyes.

"Very well," Harry says with a nod. "Molly Weasley, Arthur Weasley, Charles Weasley, William Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fredrick and George Wesley, Ronald Weasley, Lavender Weasley, Ginny Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, Rubius Hagrid, Severus Snape, Remus Lupin, Hermione Granger, David Granger, Alexandra Granger, Dobby, Winky, Sirius Black, Mum and Dad," Harry lists for him. "Those are who I am fighting for, those are who I am doing everything I have been doing for, they are who matter to me, they are who I am trying to save, who I will save," he says looking at his shell shocked friend.

Turning to look at Dumbledore, "will you make sure Dobby is taken care of, if Hermione doesn't want the house, sale it or do whatever," he pauses, "Dobby is currently working for me at the Ranch, when the time of the reading of my Last Will and Testament comes Dobby will contact everyone," Harry informs his former Headmaster.

"I will do it Harry," Albus agrees.

"Thank you," Harry answers and then looks over at Ron and then back to Albus, "will you make sure he gets home okay, I have a few things I need to do that can't wait," he says as he stands up.

"I will," Albus answers.

"Thank you," Harry says knowing Ron is oblivious to all that is going on around him at the moment. He is too deep in his thoughts to notice.

"Thank you Harry, for everything," Albus says as he too stands up.

"When the time comes," he pauses for a moment, "please tell everyone I am sorry," he says.

"Sorry for what," Albus asks.

"For not being there when they need me the most," Harry says softly as he quickly walks out of the room before Dumbledore can respond.

"Oh, Harry there is nothing to be sorry for, it is us who should be sorry," Albus says as he watches the door Harry has just disappeared through.