Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

Disclaimer: Alas I own nothing, but I promise to put my toys away when I finish playing with them.

Thanks to all of you for reading and reviewing this story. I hope you like this new chapter. I would like to apologize for the amount of time it has taken to update. We have just gotten our power back, I mean two days without power, over 18 inches of snow (in one day mind you) takes a lot out of, well, everything. So now that I am able and ready to post, here you go. Once again, sorry for the long wait, I hope you enjoy these two chapters. Thanks again Jade.

Chapter 30

Commander Who

The Burrow

The Past

"Are you telling me Harry, our Harry is a Commander in the new Army," Ron questions his father as everyone else at the table watches this exchange with their forks posed halfway to their mouths as though frozen in space and time, but in reality are only frozen in shock.

"You should have seen the look on his face," Arthur Weasley says instead, "Priceless," he comments with a smile.

"Arthur he's too young," Molly says once she can find her voice and actually construct a sentence.

"Mum," Bill says finally, "Harry has been on the frontlines most if not all of his life," he points out as Fred, George, Charles, Ginny, Neville and Ron nod in agreement of Bill's words.

"I'm surprised Fudge allowed it," Neville says from beside his girlfriend Ginny.

"He really didn't have a choice," Arthur says honestly. "Harry aced the exam," He informs them.

"The Placement Exam, MSVAB Test," Molly asks shocked.

"They had him redoing it because no one has ever gotten a perfect score before," Arthur agrees. He knows how difficult the MSVAB, or more accurately the Magical Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test is not an easy one to pass let alone ace. It puts enlisting into the Muggle Armed Services seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

"A perfect score," Ginny gasps.

"There's a first time for everything," again Arthur agrees.

"And he has to choose his Squadron Leaders," Ginny asks.

"Yep," Arthur says with a smile clearly showing his pride for the Boy-Who-Lived.

"I wonder who he'll choose," Ron says knowing Harry will choose people he knows he can trust.

"No one here," Molly says instantly, "the people he'll choose has to have taken the exam as well and no one here has," she says with a protective glint in her eyes. She wishes Harry hadn't even taken the exam himself; there is no way the rest of her family will do such a thing if she has anything to say about it. She looks around the table and is shocked and dismayed to find only Ginny meeting her eyes. Almost instantly her heart sinks, knowing they haven't told her something. She opens her mouth not knowing exactly what to say. Before she can utter a single sound there is a knock on the front door.

"I'll get it," Ron says beating the others to the chance to get away. He knows they all have taken the placement test, the new placement test. They all took it at the same time, they feared what their mum would say when she found out and now she has. Now they are in for it.

Ron slowly opens the door to find three official looking men standing on the other side "are you Mr. Weasley," the front one asks.

"I'm one of them," Ron answers honestly.

The one behind the first speaker speaks up, "he told us they would all be here," he says.

"Right," the first one agrees as he remembers, "I forgot that," he mumbles to himself. "Are Misters Arthur, William, Charles, Fredrick, George, and Ronald Weasley," he pauses for a moment as he looks at his list, "and hopefully a Mr. Neville Longbottom here," he re-asks.

Ron looks at them quizzically, "uh," he starts, "yeah," he answers non to smartly.

The third one who up until this point remained hidden snorts at this, "that's the Ron I know," Seamus says.

This calms Ron down, "Seamus," he asks.

"Yeah," Seamus says, "So who all are here," he asks.

"All you named, mum and Ginny,' he answers finally.

Seamus smiles at his former classmate, "what just happened, Ron, you look as though the cat has just spilled the milk," he asks.

"Mum just learned about us taking the exam," he tells Seamus which instantly explains Ron's sluggishness.

"Saved by the knock," Seamus asks.

"You could say that," Ron can't help but smile at the truth of this statement.

"Matt," Seamus says, "Just give him the letters," he says to the first one. "We have a lot more to deliver and besides trust me when I say you don't what to see Mrs. Weasley upset," he tells them honestly.

"Alright," Matt says, "be sure to give them to the person whose name is on it," Matt says looking sternly at Ron.

"Don't worry Matt, he'll give them to them," Seamus says with a shake of his head.

Matt hands over the letters to Ron who slowly and almost reluctantly takes them with complete confusion written on his face. "Welcome to the resistance," Matt says turning around.

"See you later Ron," Seamus says turning around.

"See you later Seamus," Ron whispers in reply as he watches them go. He is still confused as to what has just happened. Once they are out of view he looks down at the envelopes in his hand to read the top one, Arthur Raymond Weasley. Shrugging it off as he slowly closes the door he turns around reluctantly and heads slowly back to the kitchen. He stops instantly as he hears his mother's voice.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ALL HAVE TAKEN THE EXAM," she shouts out in question. "DO YOU REALIZE YOU COULD END UP ON THE FRONTLINES," she continues to shout out. "WHAT IF YOU GET STUCK WITH SOME FAME HUNGRY COMMANDER," she demands her voice growing impossibly louder.

Ron looks down at the envelopes in his hands realizing exactly what they are. They are their placements and their orders. Slowly walking into the room, "we don't have to worry to much about that anymore mum," he says stopping his mother's ranting instantly. Looking down at the envelopes in his hand he misses the looks of horror crossing not only his mother's face but that of everyone else as well. The moment of truth has finally come. "Dad," he says handing it to him, "Bill, Charles, Fred, George and Neville," Ron says as he hands them to the person as he says their name.

Silence reigns as everyone looks fearfully at the envelopes, either those in their hand or those of someone close to them. Ron sits down and looks at the scrawl across and wonders why it seems so familiar to him, as though he should know it. Shrugging it off on hopeful, wishful thinking he opens it. All eyes shift from their envelopes to Ron. Ron clears his throat figuring he might as well read it aloud to save questions and to prevent his mother from continuing her shouting. He pulls out the parchment within and begins to read it aloud.

Mr. Ronald Lamar Weasley

You have been selected for the Special Forces Company Battalion, Phoenix's Order. You are to report for duty on Monday October 27th. You are to report to your Commanding Officer to receive your training as Second in Command to the Commanding Officer.

If you wish to refuse this offer you will have to notify, by owl, your current Commanding Officer, Commander H.J.P. by no later than the end of this week.

Department of Magical Defense

Ministry of Magic

General Greg Owens

Silence follows this statement, "Second in Command, is he mental," Ron whispers in shock.

"Phoenix's Order," Ginny says thinking, "must be someone in the Order," she deduces. "What about the rest of you," she asks hesitantly.

Bill opens his letter, his eyes widen as he reads, "Squadron Leader, Phoenix's Order," he says in shock.

"Me too," Neville, Charles, Arthur says at the same time.

Everyone turns to look at the twins as Fred looks at his and then turns to George, "I think there must be something wrong," he says shock evident in his voice.

"Tell me about it," George agrees curiously. "Trade," he asks and then they instantly trade orders and begin to read the other's orders. "No mistake, Gred," George says.

"Must be some strange Commanding Officer," Fred agrees.

"We'll fit in perfectly," George grins only to receive one from Fred in return.

Molly looks worriedly at her twin sons, "what's wrong," she demands fearfully.

"Nothing really," Fred says.

"Just odd and unexpected," George agrees. The twins clear their throats at the same time, and hold up their letters and begin to read together.

Misters Fredrick Joseph and George Matthew Weasley

You have been selected for the Special Forces Company Battalion Phoenix's Order, blah, blah, blah and so forth. Report to your Commanding Officer to receive your training as Security, Espionage and Moral Specialists as per special request by your Commanding Officer, blah, blah, blah and what not and so forth, the rest is the same from there.

"Security, Espionage and Moral Specialists," Arthur repeats in shock.

"Who is your Commanding Officer," Ginny asks shocked her whole family and her boyfriend have been chosen for the same Company.

"Commander H.J.P.," Ron reads from his letter, "though that could be anyone," he huffs.

"Guess we have to wait until Monday," Fred says with a shrug not feeling too upset with his orders.

Molly looks at her family with horror and to be honest, rage, in her eyes. She opens her mouth to resume her words, and maybe to throw hexes, and her ranting but is stopped instantly by a snowy white owl, they all know so well, who flies into the kitchen and straight to Molly.

"Hedwig," Ron says curiously. Harry's owl usually takes his letter to the first person closest to the entrance. This time however, she flew directly to his mum who is a ways from the window.

Molly reaches out and unburdens the owl they have come to know so well over the years. Once Hedwig's burden is removed she seems to bow politely before quickly exiting the same way she came. Molly and the rest of them watch the owl leave and then instantly to envelope in her hands. "It's addressed to me," she says in surprise. Usually it's addressed to everyone or to Ron specifically.

Arthur looks at his wife with a raised eyebrow, "open it," he tells her understanding her shock.

Molly carefully breaks the wax seal on the envelope and removes the letter within.

Mrs. Weasley

I believe by the time you receive this Mr. Weasley has already informed you of my weird promotion to Commander. Which I might add still confuses me. I also believe that by the time this gets to you, you will have discovered your boys' secret. If not tell them sorry for spilling the beans. Anyway, to the reason I am writing.

As I was chosen as a Commander I was also given the choice of the name of the Company Battalion and those who enter into it. So I cheated and looked at where everyone was to be assigned. Needless to say, Whiskey Company did not seem something you would want your boys in. The jobs listed were horrid to me; I can't imagine what your boys would have thought. I pulled a few strings and called in a few favors, oh, alright a lot of strings and favors. Needless to say I was successful in getting them removed from that Company.

Ask Mr. Weasley on the history of Whiskey Company and you will be able to better understand why I did what it was I did. I do however apologize for the current Company they are in. However, Phoenix's Order Company is the only Company by which I could ensure their safety more; well, as much as humanly possible. The Commander of this Company, which I have had them transferred to, hates to place people in unnecessary danger. He doesn't want anyone to be on the battlefield and refuses to leave anyone behind.

I know this is of little condolences or relieve, but you have my word I will do anything and everything in my power to protect your family, even if it means my life. I hate to cut this short but my training must continue I will however try to write again to explain more; again you have my promise, my word, my oath, my life.

Harry.

Molly looks up to see the look of surprise on Arthur's face, "he saved us from Whiskey Company," he whispers in shock, "he just saved our lives," he whispers.

"Isn't that the Company that has the highest number of causalities," Charles asks.

Molly gasps as she hears this question, Arthur looks at Charles, "yes it is," he answers evenly and honestly.

"How about the one we're in now," Bill asks almost fearfully.

"Must be a new Company," Arthur says shaking his head, "I don't know anything about it, I haven't even heard of it before, I don't have a clue as to who the Commander is or his reputation," he answers honestly.

"How can we learn about this new Commander," Molly asks concerned.

"Harry seems to trust him," Neville reminds them.

Ron can't help but smile at this, "and we all know there are very few people who he does trust," he too reminds them of this simple yet astounding truth.

Molly thinks about this for a moment, "I don't feel so bad about this new company but," she says glaring at all those at the table, "I want to know who Commander H.J.P. is and his values," she says as her eyes come to rest on her husband.

Arthur takes the hint and goes to the front room to use the Floo Network. After about five minutes he numbly walks back into the kitchen and as he sits down he almost falls off the side. A minute goes by without any words. Finally Molly can't take the suspense anymore, "well," she demands.

Arthur looks up from his dazed study of his plate of food in front of him, "you know him," he gasps out in shock, not able to form the name, "we all know him," he whispers stunned.

"Who is he," Ginny asks concerned with how her father is acting.

"The one person who we never even considered or thought about, the one person we know will protect us with his life, and already has countless times," Arthur says still in total and complete shock.

"Who," Fred and George question their father as one.

"Who do we know with the initials of H.J.P.," Bill says thinking aloud to himself.

Ginny pauses as her mind runs through all the people she knows whose names start with the letter H. All of a sudden her mind seems to crash to a stop, "Harry," she gasps out.

Molly looks at Ginny and then to her husband, "H.J.P., Harry James Potter," Ron says in a stunned voice. Then he smacks the palm of his right hand to his forehead roughly, "duh," he spits out shocked at his own stupidity.

For the first time since she learned her boys had taken the exam, Molly smiles, "all my boys are going to make it through this war," she whispers knowing Harry will do everything in his power to ensure this truth.

"Well that explains our positions Feorge," Fred says with a knowing smirk.

"He knows us well," George agrees with an evil grin.

"We love to get paid to do mischief," Fred whispers as he rubs his hands together a plan already cooking in his impish brain.