Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

Chapter 7

Sacrifices Made For Love

Hogwarts

Boys Dorm 6th Years

Past

September 1

Year Six

My Dearest Grandfather and Grandmother,

Today is September first, the beginning of my sixth year here at Hogwarts, my first true home. I am writing to you today; well, to help relieve my breaking heart. Anyway, it seems as though my plan from earlier will be working better than I had thought possible. It seems as though I will not meet with resistance to my withdrawal, in fact I didn't have to do anything. On the Hogwarts Express here, Ron and Hermione informed me they are now a couple. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for them, truly I am. However, I can't help the pain in my heart knowing she will never return these feelings. I know she deserves more than I could ever give her. I love her, odd I know, I love her with all my heart and soul, and she will never know.

I refuse to put her in more danger than I already have. Being who I am and knowing me is enough trouble for anyone, but to have my heart would only increase this probability three million fold. The fact she and Ron are my friends places them in the direct line of fire. Something I will no longer stand for or do. Today, though it is killing me, both figuratively and literally, will be the beginning of my withdrawing from them. It hurts to know they won't even realize what is happening until it is far too late.

My mind keeps returning to the Department of Mysteries, to that day. I lost my godfather that day; I lost my innocence and unnecessarily placed the only family I have in danger. I also learned of the full burden placed onto my shoulders, even before my birth, I learned my destiny, I learned I played right into Voldemort's hands. This will STOP.

I have realized over the summer I am grateful Voldemort chose me rather than Neville, I would not wish this fate on my friend, I am willing to hold this burden, I am however no longer willing to share it. I also realized my love for Hermione is more powerful and all encompassing. I also realized she could and would never return these feelings.

I mean after last year and all I did, who can blame her. I know I don't. I mean who could possibly love someone who gets possessed by the darkest most evil Wizard on a daily basis. Though my behavior is my own fault and I regret every moment of it, I still understand how everyone else reacted, will react, to me.

This school year will be vastly different than ever before in my time here at Hogwarts. The famous Trio will be no more. A ghost is what I will become. Well, expect to you two, then again by the time you read this you will understand. Anyway, I have to admit one possible flaw with this plan. The only person who I will freely admit who can stop me is, that's right, Hermione Granger. However it seems Hermione will be very busy with, well, other matters.

However much them being together hurts me greatly, I will do whatever it takes to keep her happy and safe. Even if it means no longer being her friend, which is what has kept me going these five years. Right now she seems to be happy; therefore I will not interrupt or destroy her happiness. Even at the cost of my breaking heart.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I will complete my destiny, I will do everything in my power to protect my friends, who to me are my family, though once again they will never know.

I swear to live my life helping others, protecting others, helping them to be happy. Everything I am doing from this point on is not for me, but for them, I do not matter. I know now I never have. I never have. For you see I am just as always and forever will be only the Boy-Who-Lived, and the boy who will die protecting my family, hope and freedom.

These words are meant only for you Grandfather and Grandmother, though you don't know who you are, we are not related by blood or even by law, but by my heart. Thank you for doing something very few have done, thank you for caring about someone who doesn't deserve it. Thank you for caring about me.

Your, Student in many things

Love Harry