Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Belonging by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Belonging

JadeLMSkywalker

Disclaimer: I am only borrowing these characters for I own nothing.

A/N: Thanks to all of you who have read this story and a special thanks to those of you who have reviewed.

Chapter 5

Breaking the News

Hogwarts Express

Platform 9 ¾

Past

The door to the compartment slides noisily open and two figures appear in the door way looking relieved and yet highly afraid at the same time, if it were possible. "There you are," Ron says as he and Hermione come into the final compartment. They weren't able to greet Harry on the platform due to Prefect duties and they were getting worried he wasn't here.

Harry finally looks up from the book he had been reading to see the forms entering the compartment, with a twist of his wrist the book is closed, having the book mark already ready at a moments notice, living with the Dursleys prepares you well for unwanted interruptions and distractions. "Ron," he says evenly with a nod of his head, "Hermione," he greets her just as evenly and with another nod.

"Are you okay Harry," Hermione asks hearing his odd tone of voice.

Harry nods his head once again then he looks at the both of them closely, he looks deeply into Ron's eyes and then briefly into Hermione's, "congratulations," he says with a small smile.

Ron and Hermione exchange a nervous glance and then look at Harry, "how'd you know mate," Ron asks receiving a punch from Hermione.

Harry shrugs slightly and the two them know he is holding something important back, but they can't figure out what. "I can see it," he finally answers cryptically and yet they know it is honestly. They can always tell when Harry lies or tells the truth, he may not have told them everything, but he isn't lying.

Hermione rushes to assure their friend, "Harry, the fact Ron and I are dating changes nothing between us," she says as she and Ron sits down across from him, Ron instantly takes her hand in his own.

Harry tilts his head slightly as he thinks about her words and, well, knowing what he knows, his plan, "I am afraid it does Hermione," he says finally causing the both of his friends to cringe and tears to form in Hermione's eyes, "it changes the fact I am very happy for the both of you," he says causing them to breathe a sigh of relieve and to smile at their friend.

"Are you okay with this mate," Ron asks knowing for a fact Harry has loved Hermione from their first year on.

Harry looks at him, "everything is as it should be Ron, don't worry," he says knowingly and Ron can't help the relief he feels in knowing his friend doesn't hate him for dating the woman he loves dearly. Harry looks down at his watch, "I think the two of you have a meeting or something," he reminds them. He can't help but laugh as the two of them jump up from their seats, Ron cursing and Hermione telling him not to as they run out the door and down the hall.

Harry looks at the place where his two friends just were as sadness so deep and so penetrating feels his heavy soul. He closes his eyes as he tries to fight against the tears wanting to come. "I will not cry, I will not cry," he mutters to himself knowing this school year will be his hardest yet. With a deep breath and a calming exhale he decides to occupy his mind with his reading, so opening up the book he was reading before, Occlumency for the Advanced Student, by Tim Burr.