Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

And another one bites the dust.

(14) The Talk

"They're obviously more tired than they thought. If they were going to do anything that we'd object to, both bedroom doors would have been closed and locked or they would have gone somewhere else so we couldn't see or hear them."

"I suppose you're right, it just seems wrong to … I don't know … the image of her being our 'little girl' fades quicker with scenes like that."

A few hours later an uncomfortable Hermione woke up. The bedroom light, still on and Harry beside her looking just as uncomfortable. She realized her parents must have passed by and seen them on their way to bed. If they were upset they would have said something, she thought. She carefully got up, so as not to wake Harry, then remembered her room was a disaster. She levitated Harry, did a warming spell on the bed and slipped him under the covers before magically removing everything but his boxers. She then transfigured her clothes into sleepwear and slipped in on the other side of the bed, under the quilt. Before nodding off she extinguished the lights, leaving the door open.

In the morning Emma was the first one past the open bedroom door. She intended to look in quickly to check on Harry, but the scene that met her eyes … shocked her. Emma moved the door as she entered to collect her daughter. The movement of the door made enough noise to wake Hermione who rolled slowly off Harry and looked up into her mother's eyes. She was fully awake in a blink. Hermione motioned to her mother to keep quiet, then lifted the quilt enough so her mother could see the sheets separating her from Harry. She took her mothers hand and called Fawkes over, Harry didn't wake as Hermione apparated out of the bed. Fawkes took both her and Emma to the kitchen.

"Hermione Jane!" her mother started in a soft yet stern voice, so as not to attract Dan's attention until she had sorted this out.

"Mother, nothing happened, we simply slept, it just happened to be in the same bed."

"I am not impressed, we discussed the rules before Harry arrived and in my mind this was definitely on the prohibited list. Has this happened before?"

"Yes." Was the only honest answer Hermione could give.

"Is it likely to happen again?"

"Yes!" was Hermione's response.

"Hhhmmm." Her mother growled in response. "Exactly what happened?"

"We were both lying on the bed, I guess we fell asleep after you guys left. I woke up sometime during the night, all the lights were out except the bedroom light. I was going to go to my room, then I remembered it was trashed and I was still too tired to deal with that. I levitated Harry and stuffed him under all the covers and then climbed in the other side just under the quilt before I turned out the lights."

"He's so warm", she sighed, "a little lumpy … but warm."

"Hermione Jane!" her Mum exclaimed softly. "That was this time, what happened before?"

"Mum, he has nightmares … quite often. He had one at the Dursleys. His nightmare woke me up, not from noise but I could feel it in my head, I could feel something was wrong. I checked out my room and it seemed normal, in my mind, I knew it had to be Harry. I went to his bedroom door and I could hear him, it sounded like he was trying to fight someone off … to protect me. I went in … it was only when I actually touched him that he was able to calm down and sleep peacefully. Much as you found me this morning, I climbed in with him and we were both able to get a good sleep."

"I know it doesn't follow the rules, and I didn't anticipate it happening when we discussed the rules. If the intent was to make love … to have sex … we could easily disappear to somewhere and do it. Making love to him scares me … if we can trash a room while just kissing …"

"Can you tell how Harry is doing from here?"

Hermione rolled her eyes back as she searched her mind. "I'm feeling some agitation from him at the moment. He might be picking up on my feelings because I'm quite nervous about what you are going to do."

"Relax then, if it's going to happen again, I've got to tell your father or he's going to be furious at both of us … not to mention Harry, and he's going to think that Harry's taking advantage of you somehow. I'll talk to him once we get to work, he'll have some time to absorb it … I hope."

"It was my choice … both times … Harry was asleep when I slipped in beside him. When he woke up first, the last time, he actually hustled me out of the bed and back to my room."

"I know that in your Dads mind you're still the excited little eleven year old about to leave for Hogwarts. He's going to be in for a shock."

"I can't say that I'm happy with your nocturnal arrangements. It's obvious that you both love each other and he's trying his best to make us like him. If I had any thoughts that this was a casual romance or he was just in it for the sex, I'd put my foot down hard and stop it."

"Harry doesn't know you were in his bed all night, does he?"

"No Mum, not unless he woke up and I didn't know."

"He woke up first at the Dursleys?"

"Yes … he woke up before me. He said I was brave for taking the chance, and for driving off all the demons in his nightmare. Waking up in his arms was such a wonderful feeling …" The recollection of it made her quiver and tingle all the way down to her toes.

"If you want to go back up there and wake up in his arms again, I suggest you lock both bedroom doors so your father can't see in, otherwise I'll make breakfast for three and we can let Harry sleep."

"I had better not push my luck, breakfast sounds good." Said Hermione, "I was expecting you to be more … strict … more upset with me. I feel like I'm still waiting for the axe to fall … for the yelling and screaming to start."

"It very nearly came to that honey, I'm still not sure I'm dealing with you properly … with both of you. When I was your age, if I'd done something like that, my Dad would be chasing him out of here with a shotgun and I'd be grounded for life."

<><><><><><><><>

With breakfast over and the Grangers off to work, Hermione wrote a letter to Professor McGonagall about the six of them arriving Friday Morning. She went upstairs to Harry's room and asked Hedwig to deliver it. Harry was still sleeping; she decided to try to get back in bed with him and enjoy his comfortable warmth.

Hermione carefully snuck in under the quilt again and found a warm, comfortable location nestled up to Harry with one arm under the pillow and the other gently draped over him. She could feel his agitation dissipate as peace and contentment came over their mind link to her. Subconsciously he must have felt her presence and shifted around to face her wrapping his arms around her in a comfortable hug. Harry mumbled something that sounded like a contented sigh, but was otherwise unintelligible. As her arms moved to reciprocate the hug she realized that the sheets had somehow migrated down to waist level again. She knew they were up when she lifted the quilt to show her Mother … she thought … now she wasn't certain. Harry, apparently sensing her concern, moved slightly to fit her better and hugged her a little tighter before made a pleasant, reassuring moan that quelled her curiosity as she fell asleep.

A while later, Harry woke up first, or so he thought. Feeling very warm and with something snakelike wrapped around him snugly he woke with a start and smelled her scent and the aroma of her shampoo that still lingered, though almost gone. He relaxed, enjoyed and smiled, his pretty brunette had come back to her lumpy pillow. He slowly ran his hands over her back for a minute until she moaned into his neck, then he drifted off blissfully happy though not quite asleep.

Just before noon Hermione stirred, the call of nature making its demands. She hoped that what she felt was Harrys arms around her much as they were when she drifted off to sleep. She wiggled free enough to look up at his face where she found a pair of sparkling emerald green eyes looking back at her.

"Good morning love." He said.

"Morning." She said looking away, "I'd love to stay, but …" She stretched up to give him a quick kiss before saying, "Meet you downstairs in ten minutes." Harry opened his arms up to release her. She got out and up, turning away she said, "Love you." And left for the Loo.

Harry replied, "Love you too." And rolled over onto his back, closing his eyes to play back the last few minutes in his head. He woke up when she started to move, and watched her as she came out of her sleep. He would love to be able to watch her wake every day for the next hundred and fifty years or more. He heard her from the Loo asking what he was thinking about, and replied, "You love."

"What about me?" She questioned, thinking she only heard part of what he said.

"Thinking how lucky I am to be able to have you and be able to hold you, and watch you wake up in my arms." He replied, hoping it was loud enough for her to hear clearly over the sound of running water. Now he had the urge to go too, he knew there was another Loo downstairs. He threw off the covers and headed for the door, not realizing he was only in his boxers.

"I'm the lucky one." He heard her say as he passed through his bedroom door. He heard her voice no more until they met in the kitchen a short while later. In the intervening time he managed to complete his morning ritual and clothe himself without running into her.

Hermione was searching the pantry when Harry found her. He came up behind her and nuzzled her hair while putting his arms around her, then asked, "What makes you think you're the lucky one?"

"Oh, Harry, you silly boy." She moaned in reply, "With your looks, build and fame, you could have your pick of any girl in Hogwarts and I'm sure they'd all hop in bed with you … half of them would probably drag you to bed. Yet, you pick plain, Jane Granger."

"If we didn't have the mind connection, I'd be constantly wondering if this was some kind of horrible joke."

"If all those girls knew me and knew the life expectancy they'd be facing, they'd run … far and fast, in the opposite direction. All they want is 'The Boy Who Lived', the famous Harry Potter. Unlike you, they have no clue who or what, I really am."

"Now then, as far as hopping into bed with me is concerned … Unless I've had my memory modified, I think you've already managed to 'hop into my bed' twice in the last few days … for which I'm not complaining. I'd love to wake up with you in my arms every morning … I'm surprised we got away with it."

"We didn't … exactly." She replied. "Mum caught us this morning … it'll be okay. I was able to show her we were separated by the sheets. Mum wasn't impressed … but I told her it was my doing, not yours. You didn't even know I'd climbed in with you until you woke up. If it happens again, it'll need a little more planning. Dad will know by now … Mum will have told him, she thinks she can calm him by the time they get home."

"And when did this happen?"

"When Mum went past your room, the door was open, she looked in and the two of us were wrapped up together. I woke up and Fawkes apparated us out to the kitchen so you would sleep. We talked while she made breakfast. We got it sorted out … I think … she gave me the choice of going back upstairs to you or having breakfast. I thought it would look better if I stayed for breakfast … and after they left, I climbed back in with you anyway.

"We had better get your room cleaned up so you can use it tonight. Tomorrow we go to Hogwarts … we need to send a note to McGonagall."

"Done." Said Hermione, "I sent it this morning, I hope you don't mind … I used Hedwig.

"On top of things as usual, Miss Granger." Harry responded, "Now if we happen to share a bed there, it won't be as difficult to get away with … as long as we don't give everyone our password.

Hermione giggled and said, "We'd better make sure to cover the paintings in your bedroom and mine."

"Or take them down and hide them." Harry had found some leftovers and warmed them, Hermione got some drinks and they started to eat while they continued their conversation. "Speaking of sharing the same bed, Harry … there are some dangers we need to discuss."

"You're very serious about this." He said, before continuing, "Yes there are things I want to say too … and if you'll give me a minute to go first, what I say may save you clarifying things later."

"Go ahead, I'm not sure where to start anyway." Replied Hermione.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you, or hurt your feelings, so please forgive me if I mangle this … I haven't thought it through either."

"You know how much I love you … I am more than happy with the closeness we've had over the last few days. I don't want that to end. I would love to wake up with you in my arms every morning for the rest of my life, our lives. Maybe that's too much to ask of you at the moment, I don't know. The next thing is… every guy dreams of making love to his girl, and you are my fantasy, you have been for a long time. With the magic that escapes when we loose ourselves in each other, I'm scared of what that might do or cause should we make love. I'm probably going to need to take cold showers several times a day, but … I promise to try to control myself and my desires."

"Harry … as much as I love you, I want to make love to you as well, but you're right, it's too dangerous, you are too powerful to risk it. Part of the talk that I had with Professor McGonagall was about your magical power overriding the spells and potions that would normally keep me from getting pregnant. She agreed to ask Madam Pomfrey if there was anything that might be effective, though she didn't seem to have much hope.

"I suspected as much, though I didn't know for sure. I'm still getting used to us, to the feelings, this new reality. If we get carried away or you ask me to stop, I promise I will stop."

Hermione grabbed Harry and hugged him tightly while saying, "Thank you Harry, I've always trusted you with my life. Now I know that I can trust you … with me."

He put his arms around her too, and then saw the cutlery on the table do several small jumps. He said, "Dear, control your magic or we'll trash the kitchen too."

Hermione groaned, "Damn you Potter." And the cutlery became still once more.

"Don't blame me alone … it takes two to trash a room. Let's finish lunch then clean up your room." Suggested Harry. That didn't stop the exchange of affections … at least not immediately. Harry had only just realized that Hermione had been hiding her concerns, holding back her thoughts about them joining in that ultimate way. Not that he had or would ever pry into her mind. She had just opened up her mind and feelings a little more to him and he could sense the relief she felt in knowing she could trust him in every way to keep her … them … safe. He also thought he sensed something else, she had previously been thinking about them more as me and him, but now her thoughts were starting to change to us and we. He knew he would change his ways of thinking and responding eventually too. It may take a little more time … more getting comfortable with the feelings he was not used to having, and definitely not used to sharing. The dishes and cutlery on the table started to quiver again.

"Potter!" She groaned, "Control it." And he did.

"Methinks fair damsel," he said in an odd voice, "we need a place where we can let ourselves go and find out what will really happen."

"My bedroom isn't a big enough disaster for you? Not waiting for an answer, she continued, "You want to try to destroy a small village or something?"

"No …" he replied.

Tomorrow we'll be at Hogwarts for a few days, we can find some place … some time while the others are coming to terms with their new reality." Said Hermione. "I'd better clean up my room." She broke the embrace, giving him a quick kiss before waving her hand at the table and counter sending the debris to the garbage and the dishes to the sink.

He went with her to the closed door of her bedroom. She had her eyes closed when he carried her out last night so she didn't know what to expect other than a mess.

Hermione opened the door slowly revealing a little at a time. Not only were all the small items strewn around, the bed sheets, pillows and it appeared all her clothes were on the floor as well. This is going to take a while, she thought.

Harry said, "I'll pick up all the lose stuff, you arrange the furniture, then we'll sort things out." He attempted to project a series of images of the process into her mind and he could feel her mood brighten.

He then concentrated his mind and spread his magic out into the room, to pick up all the small, light items. Hermione could feel the energy gently penetrate into the room and all the loose items, a few at a time, raised up to the ceiling where Harry stuck them with a series of sticking charms." Once the floor was cleared, Hermione moved the furniture while he rearranged the items on the ceiling into what he thought were appropriate groupings. When she looked up she found all the clothes grouped into socks, underwear, tops, and etcetera. The small items were in three groups, though not the way she would have grouped them and the bed sheets were straightening themselves out and being lowered onto the bed by Harry. Harry picked up on her slight irritation and penetrated her mind to find the cause. She started cleaning, folding and putting the clothes away while Harry finished assembling the bed. Once in her mind, he realized he'd been sorting the objects by what they were rather than where they went. When she turned back for the knick knacks, cosmetics, books and other items, she found them rearranging themselves as she would have grouped them. Harry had apparently picked up on her thoughts and was taking care of the sorting, he even repaired the few broken items. A wave of happiness engulfed her that startled Harry, had it not been for the sticking charms holding the items to the ceiling he was sure they would have dropped.

Without magic all of that would have taken several hours to clean up, with magic it took only a few minutes and their teamwork.

Hermione looked at her bed, impressed with the way he had put it together. Everything was crisp, flat and tight, tucked in the way Madam Pomfrey used to have them in the Hospital wing … probably the way his Aunt made him do them, she thought.

"We should start thinking about tomorrow, now." Said Hermione, "What we're going to tell them and what memories we're going to show them. I have only your descriptions of some of the memories Dumbledore showed you."

"And we need a way for the six of us to keep in touch. Should we include Professor McGonagall in the horcrux secret?"