Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

(30) Meeting Albus

Hermione's parents didn't bring up their conversations with Arthur Weasley that night and Harry, knowing that the morning would likely bring up many of the horrors of the past, got the balance of his birthday wish that night, snuggling up to Hermione, enjoying her warmth and reciprocating her feelings of love. Having overheard most of Arthur's answers to Dan's questions, Neither Harry nor Hermione could figure out why her parents allowed him to stay, they should have been scared to even be near him, let alone allowing him to still be part of their family.

- - - - - - - -

Friday Aug 1 1997

In an effort to put off the expected confrontation the teens waited until her parents had left for work before going down to make their breakfast. Harry disagreed about putting off the confrontation, but in the end went along with Hermione's hope that her parents would have more time to mellow to the dangers that Voldemort presented.

No sooner had they finished breakfast than an unexpected knock came at the back door. Harry and Hermione looked at each other, they had thrown on pyjamas and opted to eat first and get properly dressed later. Both their wands were still upstairs, not that that mattered much. Harry dashed upstairs to collect their wands while Hermione transformed into Caledfwlch, then flashed outside and flew high over the house to see who was at the back door. Hermione recognized their Headmistress, Remus and Tonks waiting at the back door, Caledfwlch dove amongst several trees at the properties edge. The three adults had turned around at the sound of the great bird plunging through the air to see a small flash of light in the trees beyond the pool and garden. A short minute later the back door latch clicked and the door opened, Harry stood there with a smile, in a grey Dudley size sweatshirt and baggy worn blue jeans that were being held up by faded red suspenders.

Hermione could be heard from inside somewhere yelling, "I'll be there in a minute dear, let them in."

Harry stood aside and motioned them in with a wave of his arm before saying, "Please have a seat … There is some tea made and there may be some coffee left if anyone is interested." After they were all inside, Harry closed the door.

"First," said Minerva, "Number four Privet Drive is nothing but a small hole in the ground this morning." Hermione arrived wearing a white top that almost revealed some skin above her short white shorts, just in time to hear the pronouncement, looked at Harry and put both hands up to her face to hide her shocked expression. "The Muggles will think it was a gas explosion … what wasn't burned was no bigger than a toothpick. We were alerted by our wards and managed to get there in time to stun the last two Death Eaters that were about to leave. We got some information out of them. Apparently there were two rooms upstairs that they couldn't get into, they blew up the whole house hoping you were in one of those rooms. They were sent to kidnap you if possible, or kill you."

"Merlin," said Hermione, "How did you lock those rooms Harry?"

"What do you mean, I just locked them." Harry replied, "After Tonks and Remus packed up the rest of the house, they asked me to clean out my rooms. When I was done, I locked the door again … no real reason at that point … just habit."

"I asked you to do your own rooms because I couldn't get in there." Supplied Remus.

"Oh … I didn't expect them to be Wizard proof." Harry waved his hand at the back door, there was a quiet click and a clunk, then Harry said. "There, that should be easy enough to open for any second year student."

Tonks looked at Remus who looked at Minerva, Minerva pulled her wand, flicked it at the door several times and nothing happened. Remus tried it next, followed by Tonks and the door remained closed and presumably, still locked. Minerva went to the door and tried all the normal detection and revealing spells she could think of and still she couldn't determine how to open it. Minerva stepped back and looked at Harry in confusion. Harry looked at the door and blinked, there was a clunk and a click followed by the squeak of a dry hinge as the door swung open. Harry looked at Hermione, they both had a confused expression and he suggested that she try locking the door.

Hermione had seen what Harry did in the beginning, several weeks ago and was used to following the same thought pattern that Harry used. Hermione pointed her finger at the door and made two flicking motions and a twist, not that her finger really had anything to do with the magic other than a visual guide for her, the door swung closed, the hinge squeaked, and again there was a soft click and clunk. Minerva, Remus and Tonks all failed to open the door, even after examining it closely.

Harry walked over to the door and, with a look of total concentration; he followed the edge between the door and frame with his fingers as though examining it by touch. What he was doing looked similar to what Albus did in the cave to find the hidden entrance to the chamber where the false locket was hidden. Though he wasn't consciously doing it, he was able to follow the threads of magic around the perimeter of the door. Through his fingertips he was able to feel Hermione's magical interference and recognized it as if he was an animal following her scent. Harry didn't make a sound throughout the process. He wasn't mumbling any Latin sounding words as the Headmaster had done.

"Brilliant!" exclaimed Harry when he turned to face the others, "The door isn't locked so much as the door and frame are transfigured into one piece, thus an unlocking charm alone is useless. You need to transfigure the door back into a door, then unlock it." Harry chuckled thinking that was funny.

Minerva, surprised at herself for not finding the solution in the first place, though she hadn't thought to check if the door had been transfigured into something else, flicked her wand twice at the door then a third time muttering 'Alohomora' then twisted her wand to turn the door handle. The hinge squeaked when the door opened.

"Harry," McGonagall said in a curious tone of voice, "You appeared to be following Hermione's magic around the door, much like your memory of Albus in the cave, is that what you were actually doing?" Minerva's voice now questioning and serious.

"I guess so … yes … I could feel my magic had been there, but Hermione's was a fresher trail," Harry thought for a second before continuing, "Her magic is much sweeter and more delicate … if that makes any sense." Hermione looked at Harry with an expression she usually reserved for Luna and Crumple-Horned Snorkacks … at least in the past.

"That is a very rare talent Harry, something I suggest you cultivate when you have the chance … learn as many magical signatures as you can. Albus was able to do that fairly easily, sometimes I can do it too if the magic is strong.

"Yes Professor, I suppose it's just a matter of examining something magical and assigning it a flavour or a name." Said Harry. "Now what do we do Professor, do we let them think I'm dead so they'll give up on me and ignore my friends?"

The name "HARRY!" exploded out of Hermione's mouth as she stared at him, mouth agape.

"That has possibilities," said Minerva. "but … I need the two of you to be at school in September. Try to avoid being seen anywhere as a couple and that will avoid drawing undue attention to Hermione and the Grangers."

"Harry, have you found a place for your Aunt to stay yet?" inquired Minerva.

"No … I guess it's time to start looking

"I don't think that you're clear on your current feelings towards your Aunt even though you are keeping her safe. Perhaps a rental flat somewhere around here, where she might have the opportunity to get to know Hermione's parents." Suggested Minerva.

"That sounds like a marvellous idea Harry." Said Hermione sounding very excited. "There is a Real Estate Office a few blocks from here, where we could inquire." Harry looked at Hermione then at Minerva with a half smile and half smirk before nodding his head in acceptance.

"Harry, Dumbledore's portrait started waking up a few days ago," said Minerva, "At first it was only for five or ten minutes at a time, now he can stay awake for almost an hour. In a few days he should be able to stay awake long enough to deal with his will. I'll make arrangements with Gringotts for Monday afternoon. Albus mentioned that the hereditary title of Lord Gryffindor has already been transferred to you, and Remus told me that you already have Godric's sword, it is yours to keep if you want to, however you may also leave it in my office, it has been safe there for the last ten centuries. Albus wants to see you both before Monday."

"We'll make inquiries about a flat for Aunt Petunia this morning," Harry said to Minerva, then turning to Hermione, said, "If we see Albus this afternoon then our weekend is free to spend with your parents." Harry didn't see Hermione's expression of dread as he turned back to Minerva and continued, "What would be a good time to arrive this afternoon?"

Hermione's eyes rolled back, she wasn't really looking forward to the next encounter with her parents.

- - - - - - - -

During a simple lunch that Harry threw together, he and Hermione looked through the information and pictures of the available flats again. They had made several selections while in the Real Estate office talking to the rentals agent and they were scheduled to tour the flats tomorrow. Hermione hoped to bring her parents as neither she nor Harry had any experience in renting.

Fawkes flashed the two teens into Minerva's office in the early afternoon. For a change the sunshine was pouring in through the south facing windows bathing the room in a golden glow. Fawkes flew over to his perch underneath Dumbledore's portrait, then made a loud squawk to awaken the old gent. Dumbledore's head snapped up and his eyes fluttered open … a smile brightened up his face as his rich blue eyes began to twinkle. Harry had been impatiently waiting for what seemed like years to clear up the issue of Snape's actions on the Astronomy Tower.

"Mr. Potter and Miss Granger, I am most pleased to see you." Albus spoke while carefully scrutinizing the pair. "Minerva tells me that the two of you have finally recognized what most everyone else has seen for years … you should have been couple long ago."

"Sir … about Snape," Harry started to say.

"Professor Snape, Harry." Corrected Albus.

Harry sputtered for a moment in indignation, then responded, "You still want me to call that … that murderer … you want me to call him 'Professor Snape'!"

"Well … he only did what I asked him to do." Answered Albus, "The potion that I drank would have killed me in a few more hours. I could feel it doing its job. I barely had the ability to petrify you as it was, lest you do something foolish. I knew that Professor Snape had taken an Unbreakable Vow to protect Draco. Draco's unwillingness to kill me himself, speaks for his true character, he is not his Father. Had Professor Snape not completed the task, then Draco would have been tortured and killed by Voldemort and Draco's death would have caused Professor Snape's own death by way of the Unbreakable Vow. I knew I was dying anyway, and so I opened up my mind to Severus and allowed him to see my needs and wishes. Professor Snape will keep Draco safe and through his murder of me, he will remain a trusted Death Eater and perhaps be of more use to you as the spy he is."

"It is very possible that if we can convince Narcissa, and provide for her safety and Draco's from Lucius and Voldemort, that we … you … could have two very powerful allies when this is all over."

Harry was glaring at Dumbledore's portrait in complete indignation. That Dumbledore should ask him to protect a Malfoy was a ludicrous idea.

When smoke started to rise from the frame around Albus portrait, Hermione swung Harry around, determined to break his concentration. "Harry," she shouted at him with fear in her eyes, "Be reasonable! Professor McGonagall read the letter to us … it said the same thing Professor Dumbledore is telling us now. We know you don't like Malfoy or Professor Snape, and we're not asking you to like them," pleaded Hermione, trying to coax a small amount of reason out of Harry. Understand that the greasy git did what Professor Dumbledore asked him to do and he probably saved the Headmaster a slow painful death."

"Draco is not the same person that his Father is and his Mother is only trying to keep him alive."

"Alright … alright, I understand what you're saying, and I suppose it makes sense … I'm going to need some time for it to sink in. Draco was always more talk than fight, but I'm going to have a hard time forgiving him for the way he treated you. Snape never liked me and I doubt if I will ever like him … I may need to put up with him, but I don't have to like him, and it will be a frosty Friday in July before I call him Professor again!"

"That can be arranged Harry." Said Hermione with a relieved smirk on her face. Albus laughed along with Armando Dippet, Phineas Nigellus and several other dead Headmasters.

"Since this is already August and you no longer have a time turner, you're going to have to wait at least eleven months," Harry said as he stuck out his tongue towards Hermione. "So there!" Harry, Hermione and Albus all laughed again.

"Minerva did say that you were in good spirits this summer and I can see for myself that you are both doing well together. That makes me happy because I now think you will be able to handle whatever comes up. Minerva has told me about your group of six and I think that is a good idea. You have already found the locket we were looking for and destroyed it. Rowena's wand would be easier to acquire with the help of Mr. Ollivander and I think Mr. Fortescue can be of some help in locating more horcruxes." As Albus mentioned the names of the two missing shopkeepers both Harry and Hermione paid more attention to him. "Yes, you thought they were dead, so does everyone else with the exception of a few friends of mine in the Wizengamot who have been keeping their shops from being stripped and sold. I'm sure even Voldemort assumes that one of his Death Eaters killed them for whatever reason."

"You mean they are alive?" queried Hermione while watching Harry's look of shock and surprise.

"Of course they are," chuckled Albus, "There were no bodies found and no Dark Mark was seen when they disappeared. Death Eaters would have left the bodies and a Dark Mark to terrorize others into doing their bidding. Essentially they both went on an extended holiday. I have them staying at the Dumbledore Estate where no one is likely to look for them. When this is all over they'll need to be compensated for their loss of income. I promised to take care of that and I am asking you two to make good on my promise. Mr. Ollivander can teach you things about a wand that would amaze you and I have been trying to get Mr. Fortescue to teach history here for many years. They have been researching horcruxes and magical methods of locating them since before they went missing. Unfortunately they made some indiscrete inquiries and were found out, that is why I persuaded them to go into hiding."

"How do we contact them?" Asked Hermione.

"Ah, that is the question … My Estate is warded at least as well as Grimmauld Place. I suggest you ask Fawkes to take you there. Don't try it on your own Hermione! Albus stated in a commanding tone. Hermione blinked and remained wide eyed for an explanation. "Minerva has told me that you are also a Phoenix, but your Phoenix blood is not yet tied to the wards. Once you get inside, Twitchie, my House Elf, will find you, she is the secret keeper and she can tie your blood to the wards. After that you will be able to apparate in on your own."

"My brother Aberforth has been helping Twitchie look after Frisel and Florien, simply because he can get through the wards. The less people that can get through the wards by themselves, the better, that was how our parents were killed in the early part of the Grindelwald War. One of our friends brought some of his friends through the wards looking for me. Abe and I were away for a few days at the time. The traitor killed our family and friends … then found she couldn't get out through the wards by herself. By the time we got back, Twitchie had Malaspina Nott disarmed, tied up and packaged for the Aurors."

"On to the reason I asked to see you both … my Will. Other than leaving some small amounts to various people, the bulk of it is left to you Harry. The next larger sums are left to Miss Granger here and Mr. Ronald Weasley. There is a rather cheeky stipulation in the will that you two have to honestly and clearly state your feelings for each other in order to claim the inheritance quickly. If Minerva and my eyes don't deceive me, you two are now a happy couple, so that stipulation will not be required unless Ragnok insists."

"Gringots already recognizes us as a bonded couple so that shouldn't be a problem." Responded Hermione as she tugged Harry closer and wrapped her arm around his waist. Harry blushed slightly while putting his arm around her back and resting his hand on her shoulder.

"Really," Albus stated, sounding very surprised, "That is an unusual distinction in this day and age. Do you know much about the effects of bonding?"

"Well," said Hermione, "we seem to be able to share our minds and feelings and I think our magical power has somehow increased."

"Yes … and no," Albus answered, "You will be able to easily see each others thoughts and feel the others emotions … including pain. Those things you should be able to do either in close proximity or in line of sight. The impression of increased power may be correct or simply a manifestation of being able to borrow magical energy from each other. You cannot both take the excess power from the other at the same time. That reminds me … I expect that you might not be aware Harry … they haven't been used since before I became Headmaster, but … there are quarters for married or in your case, bonded students … should you wish the privacy, simply ask Minerva. You could even request a House Elf if you wanted. I am aware of your feelings regarding House Elves, Miss Granger, and you would not be required to have or make use of one, though I expect Dobby might be disappointed, should you not request him. I assume you are aware of these facilities Miss Granger, as you have a fondness for the book Hogwarts: A History."

"Yes Sir," Hermione responded, "In years long past, many people our age were already married, sometimes even with children of their own. There are small apartments set aside in the castle that have a Common Room connecting them. They aren't associated with any particular house."

"Ah … quite right Miss Granger … you never cease to amaze me." Said Albus as Harry smiled, watching her blush from the praise. "The quarters you will share as Head Boy and Girl are almost as private and much less conspicuous unless you plan on having children before the new school year is over."

At that thought they both turned a crimson shade of red and simultaneously enunciated, "SIR!"

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry." Albus responded, "It's just that Minerva told me of your magical power tests and I was concerned that the situation might, though unintentional, be unavoidable."

"We have been able to solve the problem with some help from Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. He's not as bad guy as he's made out to be. He, Godric, Rowena and Merlin seem to get along spectacularly in Rowena's portrait. By the way … Merlin is also a white Phoenix … which white Phoenix is supposed to select the leader of the Order of the Phoenix?"

"Yes … the confusion … It was always my intention that it should be Merlin, in his Animagus form as Caledfwlch, the historically 'white' wizard, but then you already know this since you've talked with him. I had no idea that your animal form would also be a Phoenix Miss Granger … I don't suppose you're quite ready to be called Missus Potter just yet … no. Most wizards and witches that manage the transformation match their Patronus form. Yours, I believe, is an Otter."

"As it turned out, Merlin and I agreed on the outcome so there was no problem." Said Hermione, "My Patronus was an Otter … it appears to have changed to a Doe to complement Harry's Stag."

"And I expect you have been wondering, since Tonks Patronus also changed under similar circumstances, if it is always the witch's Patronus that changes and not the Wizard's Patronus?" Filled in Albus.

"The thought had crossed my mind sir." Replied Hermione.