Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer:

Any characters you recognize from the books in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling belong to the aforementioned J. K. Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' By L. Frank Baum, originally printed April 1900 by the George M. Hill Company of Chicago, USA is past its copyright and is in the public domain.

Not Another Author's Note: Many thanks to the_scribbler for his kind assistance with this chapter.

51 - Pettigrew Petrified

Hermione waved her hand in front of the portrait, mumbling something under her breath that sounded vaguely familiar to Harry. It sounded like 'Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!' Those were the same words the Headmaster spoke to bring forth his … no, their, first ever feast at Hogwarts. If Harry could have scratched his head he would have, but he was holding up Pettigrew. Harry was sure those words were meaningless gibberish … like that failed spell to turn Scabbers yellow and some of the 'hocus pocus' phrases he would shout at Dudley when he got frustrated. Looking at the portrait, he saw a black speck in the background of the portrait, off to the side and above the apple tree.

Hermione had wandered off towards some bookshelves where she had seen a small collection of Muggle storybooks. It took her but a moment to spot the recognizable but tattered cover of 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz'. She opened the cover, slightly curious and scanned the printing details: Printed by The George M. Hill Company of Chicago, USA and dated April 1900. It dawned on her that this was a First Edition and one of the earlier releases. It had obviously been read a lot by someone, ahhh … Lilly Evans was penned on the inside cover.

Harry kept watching as the speck in the portrait became larger, its colour changed to scarlet and it appeared to be growing wings. Very quickly after that it could be recognized as a familiar red and gold Phoenix soaring gracefully in their direction. Fawkes dove down behind the tree and a moment later Godric Gryffindor stepped away from the trunk and began walking down the winding, grassy path between the flower garden and vegetable patch. Remus was not quite as surprised as he had been when he saw Rowena step out of her portrait in the back of Hogwarts Library. The Grangers, since this summer, were long past being surprised at anything their daughter and her friends came up with, they just assumed it was normal ... well ...Wizard and Witch normal anyway. Godric seemed to take his time walking down the path from the tree to the foot of the portrait, his image growing larger as he appeared to get closer. His last step brought him to the floor in front of the portrait, "Hello my friends," he said as he looked over the stunned, rat faced Wizard that Harry was hovering between them. "Who do you have here Harry ... I believe I've seen him before ... though it has been a few years."

"This, Godric, is Peter Pettigrew." Harry began to explain. Remus was a little taken aback with the familiarity that Harry seemed to be addressing the ancient and omnipotent Wizard, but he didn't say anything. "He is the traitor that's responsible for my parents' deaths. I caught him sneaking around and spying on us."

Godric had been looking the bedraggled and chubby Wizard over and spotted the silver hand, it was obviously a magical construct and Godric was exploring its makeup with great interest. That is until he recognized the dark magic within it. "What would you like to do with him and how can I help?"

"I need to keep him alive to testify after Voldemort is killed. I need him alive to finally clear Sirius's name. The fact that he is alive and the information he could give would clear up any lingering doubts that others may have. He will also know where Voldemort is right now, but we have to be careful, he is an unregistered Animagus ... a rat." Replied Harry.

Godric went to Peter, opened one of his eyelids and peered into it, absorbing the pertinent information that Harry had talked about. "If I take him through this portrait he will never more be seen, thus no use to you for evidence. Stunned is not a safe way to leave him, he could wake any time and if no one is there to stun him again, he would be gone. He needs to be petrified, but someone could easily release him from the standard petrificus totalus charm." Godric spoke his thoughts aloud.

"How about petrified as in by a basilisk's eye through a mirror or glass lens ... he would need a Mandrake potion to awaken?" Asked Harry. Hermione shivered at the thought ... that was exactly what had happened to her. It was a good thing that Harry didn't catch her look of horror, though he did feel her revulsion.

Godric looked at Harry, wondering just how the boy could come up with such a convoluted idea so quickly, then scratched his left ear. "Perfect," said Godric, "Now does anyone have a spare basilisk hanging around that we could use?" he asked facetiously.

"As a matter of fact," responded Harry, grinning slyly, "If someone could take this Rat off my hands for a minute." Remus and Harry looked at each other for a moment before the old Werewolf pulled out his wand and took over the levitation spell from Harry. "I happen to have ..." Said Harry as he pulled out his Staff, "The magical eyeball of a basilisk, would that do?"

This of course caught Godric completely off guard, it was so unexpected, so Slytherin of this young Gryffindor, that Godric couldn't or didn't speak for several minutes. When he did finally collect himself, he stated, "Yes, that will do splendidly ... now, first, let's get everyone out of here so that we don't risk petrifying anyone else. Everyone except Harry and the Rat, follow me to Howard's office. Harry I'll be back to help you in a minute, just drop him on the floor Mr. Lupin," Said Godric, as he helped the others into his portrait. There was a resounding THUNK as Peter dropped about four feet and hit the floor. Hermione looked at their ex Professor questioningly and Remus shrugged. They all walked the winding path up to the apple tree and as they came around the back of the tree they appeared in the portrait in Howard Bedivere's office.

Howard happened to be facing the portrait at the time, he had swivelled his chair around to face it and was contemplating that one time about a month ago that he had seen Godric Gryffindor come out of it for the young Lord and Lady. He knew of course that they were ... now isn't that funny, a couple of hours ago he could have sworn he knew exactly where the young couple were ... all he could come up with at the moment was that they were somewhere nearby and yesterday was the young woman's birthday. His eyes were glazed over as he contemplated what he could and could not remember. Seconds before the first of them stepped out of that portrait Howard realized something was wrong and jumped up out of his chair, wand drawn and pointed at the portrait. Hermione was no one's fool, she had seen Howard before she stepped out of the portrait and saw him jump up. She had her arm out in his direction and the palm of her hand facing him producing a shield as she stepped from the painting. It took Howard a moment to recognize her and withdraw his wand.

Howard bowed to Hermione and said, "My Lady Gryffindor, A thousand apologies, you and your guests, you took me by surprise. Welcome to Camelot, how may I be of service?" Remus, Dan and Emma knew of the youngsters 'Titles', but had never heard anyone address either of them as such. It was an interesting experience.

"Mr. Bedivere ... Harry and Godric will be bringing a petrified guest that will be in need of a secure place to stay for an indefinite period of time, I assume that this Castle has Dungeons or something suitable for the purpose?" inquired Hermione.

"Yes of course My Lady." Howard said as he bowed his head again. "Bring your 'petrified guest' right here and I will see to it that he has the most secure accommodations that Camelot has to offer."

Hermione nodded her head and turned to Godric, she hesitated a moment, she felt it was disrespectful to address him by his given name, but that is exactly what he asked for the last time they were here. "Godric, would you please return to Harry and help him with Peter Pettigrew?" she asked in a soft, slightly intimidated, voice. After all that she had read and heard of the four Founders of Hogwarts, to have one or more doing her bidding was to say the least a little overwhelming.

*************************

Harry had found a full length mirror in the Library and he conjured up an Albus style Chintz Armchair that he thought was a little too comfortable for Pettigrew. With Pettigrew in the chair, Harry positioned it a little to the side of the mirror so that Harry wouldn't get flashed by the basilisk eyeball at the same time. Just as Harry was getting anxious there was a red flash in the air behind him, Fawkes materialized and within view of his portrait he transformed into Godric Gryffindor.

Peter started to stir, they both heard a groan out of him, at that moment both Godric and Harry were ready for him and Peter did as expected, he pulled his wand. Harry summoned the wand and broke it in two, Godric cast a spell to keep him from transforming into a rat and bound him to the chair so that he couldn't move or apparate. Harry took the broken wand, threw it into the Library's fireplace and with a vicious glance, set it aflame. The panicked look on Peter's face was a delight to behold.

Godric made sure he was out of the line of sight and the mirrors reflection, he then told Harry to proceed. Harry had moved into position and pointed his staff at Pettigrew's reflection in the mirror then silently gave his staff the command. The eyeball blinked and grew brighter for a moment, there were no beams of coloured light or sparks or anything noticeable except the now stony expression of panic on Peter's face. The deed was done. Harry realized that he could have just as easily pointed his staff at Peter and killed him, not that Peter didn't deserve it, but Harry's stomach nearly erupted just thinking about it. Harry didn't want to be a killer ... not really. He knew of course that he would have to kill Voldemort or be killed by him. Being killed by Voldemort was no longer an option, not now that he had Hermione. Before this summer he would have gladly died if he was sure to take Voldemort with him ... not now. He would definitely have to find a way to kill Voldemort and survive; he thought he could live with that as long as he had Hermione.

It took Godric several seconds to get Harry's attention. He was almost ready to think that Harry had petrified himself too. After a brief discussion Harry grabbed onto Peter and Godric changed into Fawkes and flashed them over to Howard's office, chair and all.

Hermione and Howard had been discussing the advantages of using the top of a tower versus a lower dungeon and the tower top was starting to look good. Sealing the single entrance and making the windows unbreakable was not difficult. Adding anti-apparition and anti-portkey charms would then keep out everything except a Phoenix and a family House Elf. Voldemort, if he ever got inside Camelot, would probably look in the dungeons first … if he even bothered to look for Pettigrew.

When Harry, Fawkes and Peter arrived Hermione and Howard went over the plan with them and they all joined hands allowing Fawkes to flash them all there at once.

The decision was soon done, the North Tower was the tallest and the room at the very tip had the most difficult access unless you could travel by Phoenix. Harry and Hermione under the supervision of Fawkes beefed up the wards and filled the access stairway with large stone blocks held in place with an ancient cementing charm that Fawkes supplied. The Castle spells they had learned from Rowena were already coming in handy. When they were done the only way in was by Fawkes. Family House Elves could also get in to check up on the prisoner, not that he needed feeding or anything, but to make sure he didn't somehow come back to life unnoticed... or go missing. Magic, being magic, one never quite knows what might happen.

What with Remus' news, the fidelius charm and Wormtail showing up, neither the teens nor the adults had the opportunity for lunch. Howard had not been concerned about it at the time either, but now suggested they all follow him for a late lunch. Guinevere and Dobby were part of the entourage and at Howard's suggestion of lunch, the two Elves disapparated together with a dainty 'Crack'.

There were moving and still pictures and portraits along the hallways and stairways they traversed from the North Tower and every once in a while Howard pointed out someone that he thought was particularly noteworthy. Charlus Potter, though he didn't have any spectacles was the spitting image of James and Harry except for his eyes and messy hair which was brown. Dorea on the other hand looked very much like Narcissa Malfoy, but with James and Harry's jet black hair. Much younger versions of all four Founders of Hogwarts were in another portrait, though it was only a normal painting, they couldn't move or speak.

Once down to the Main floor, in the Entry hall, straight in from the main Castle doors were eight doors, side by side, arranged in four pairs. Howard led them to those doors and through them into Camelot's Great Hall. It was easily as big if not slightly bigger than the Great Hall at Hogwarts. The ceiling was however, not enchanted like the one at Hogwarts, it was an ornate stone ceiling. The basic layout divided the ceiling into dozens of squares each containing what, at Harry's first glance, appeared to be a unique design. It took Hermione to recognize that each square contained a Rune and she could recognize enough of them to guess that they formed at least part of the protection wards for Camelot.

In the middle of the Hall was one single table where Anna was already sitting, waiting patiently for the six of them, well actually five plus a Red and Gold Phoenix that was perched on Harry's shoulder.

During the meal, the conversation turned to what happened that fateful Halloween night almost sixteen years ago. Harry asked, "Is the house exactly the way my parents had it before they were killed?"

"What house?" was the first statement out of Howard's mouth and Remus had to let Howard and Anna into the secret.

Surprisingly enough, Anna answered him, "The house itself has been restored to the condition that your parents had it. Mister Dumbledore was allowed to remove their personal effects and store them safely in Gringotts. Some of the furniture needed to be replaced and a few ancient relics that they had borrowed from Camelot were returned here."

"Ancient relics?" queried Hermione. "Do you remember what they were?"

"Yes of course my Lady, they were rare items belonging to the original Lord Gryffindor." Stated Anna.

"A Shield, a longbow and a gauntlet?" Hermione again questioned Anna. Harry and Remus were now paying undivided attention to this conversation. Fawkes had already left to return to Hogwarts and inform the Headmistress of the location of Voldemort's hideout that Godric had taken out of Peter's mind before he was petrified.

"We retrieved the longbow and gauntlet from the Library," responded Howard, "However, Mister Dumbledore insisted on taking the shield since it was found in your Nursery for some reason. It had suffered some spell damage and Mister Dumbledore said he thought he knew someone who could repair it. It never was returned, I fear it may now be lost."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other for several minutes saying nothing but exchanging thoughts and speculations. Remus watched them both closely, having a very good idea what was going on and where it would lead he suggested, "Maybe we should look at the longbow and gauntlet first since they are here?"

After lunch Howard and Anna led them to The Armoury. One would think from the name that it was an armament warehouse and in a way it was, though it was more a museum of old and ancient weapons and memorabilia. Anna insisted on introducing the newcomers to the Gryffindor/Potter family history starting in the third century AD with a Tobias Gryffindor and his wife Aryan. There was a painting on the wall showing the pair and a bust of Tobias supported with a metal mannequin like framework that held what remained of his armour and weapons. When they arrived at Godric's portrait with his wife Gwyneth, there was only the bust with a supporting framework and a gauntlet holding a longbow. Harry immediately started to do the revealing charms to identify a Horcrux and he spoke in Parseltongue causing Howard and Anna to jump back in shock.

Howard and Anna had of course heard of Parseltongue and believed it to be a dark language as did most Witches and Wizards. They never expected to hear it spoken and certainly not by the young Lord Gryffindor of all people.

Harry's attempts to find a Horcrux were fruitless, however the two items did have some ancient charms on them that Remus helped identify. The longbow was charmed for accuracy and the gauntlet was charmed for knockout punches and impermiability. There were no dark curses at all. When Harry explained his findings to Hermione and Remus they agreed that the shield that Dumbledore took needed to be found. Harry was feeling despondent about the possibilities of finding out where Dumbledore had taken the shield until Hermione suggested it might be in the trunk of his parents' personal items that was left to him by Albus. They had only gone through part of the top layer of memories and found James and Lilly's wands and had never opened the trunk since the summer. Hermione knew that Harry had been a little apprehensive of tackling the task of sorting through his parents personal effects and she hadn't pushed him to do it. Neither of them had considered the possibility of there being a horcrux in the trunk. Then again, it had been speculated that Voldemort was at Godric's Hollow to make a Horcrux and maybe he did succeed.

After Hermione hinted strongly that they should go back to the school and search through the trunk Harry reminded her, "We are here for your birthday weekend ... with your parents ... we can look through the trunk on Monday when we return to school, I don't think it's going anywhere between now and then." He then pulled her close and kissed her pouting lips. Harry it seemed was being mister sensible and Hermione, at least on the surface, appeared to want to dash away and check out the trunk. The confusing part for Harry was that he was now sensing happy emotions from Hermione that didn't seem to be from the kiss alone. Harry metaphorically shook his head, thinking that even when you could read their thoughts and feelings, girls were still confusing. He hadn't actually read her thoughts, just her feelings, if he had he would have known that she was anticipating that he would want to search the trunk immediately and she was willing to go along with him. Whatever his reasons, Hermione was pleased that Harry wanted to stay here with her.

The group finished the Armoury tour, Howard and Anna were quite the history Professors, they would have put that old fart, Binns, to shame. They at least made it sound interesting enough to want to remember. The fact that it was the Potter family history helped too. Remus made his excuses to leave saying that he would meet up with Dan and Emma Monday morning at the house. Once in the office, Remus asked Howard to look after the kids and Hermione's parents before he slipped through Godric's portrait to Rowena's Common Room, then through the Hogwarts Library and off to the Headmistresses office.

The Potter, Granger group continued the Castle tour with Anna, a much more detailed tour than the teens had in that short afternoon about a month earlier. After a quiet supper the tour continued with the outside grounds adjacent to the Castle until the daylight started to wane. On their way back to the office, Anna invited the group to stay the night or as long as they wished in the Castle. Dan and Emma looked excited at the prospect, never having actually stayed in a Castle before.

Dobby and Guinevere returned to the house to collect the group's clothing and personal items, bringing them to the two largest bedchambers in the Castle on the third floor. While the two House Elves were moving their clothes the group talked for several hours and got better acquainted. Arrangements were made for the Grangers to be included in Camelot's wards so they could properly find the Castle and enjoy the grounds by themselves. Dan and Emma were welcomed to stay at the house or the Castle until their own house and Dental Practice were again available and safe.

That night, while Harry was using the loo, Hermione put on the pale blue Peek-a-Boo's that he had picked out the day before. She was checking her appearance out in the full length mirror and adjusting the babydoll. For all practical purposes there wasn't much point to the new knickers and cover-up other than giving her body a bluish tinge, she could see right through them. Undoubtedly Harry would like them and she guessed that was the point.

She noticed that the cooler night air was causing her exposed nipples to swell and harden. Suddenly, two recognizable hands appeared in the mirror. Seeming to come out of nowhere, the attached arms gradually becoming visible as the hands reached around her from behind. She welcomed his warm breath on the back of her neck as thumbs and forefingers gently took possession of her now diamond hard points. "Oh Harry," she moaned as his invisibility cloak fell to the floor. "What do you think?"

'Now there's a loaded question' he realized, he could sink or swim depending on his answer. His problem was he wasn't really thinking, he couldn't, he was standing there with nothing but a 'hard on', exploring her breasts with his hands and kissing the back of her neck. He shuffled even closer and pressed Prongs junior against her backside while leaning his head over to nibble at the pulse point on her neck. She groaned and leaned her head over to give him better access to her neck and ear. A smile on her face and in her heart, she could sense his excitement and enjoyment as his warm hands left her now tingling breasts and started roaming over her body producing fires and other erotic sensations in their wake.

She didn't really want a repetition of last night, her Mum had quietly mentioned about things floating around in their room and Guinevere having to come in and stick everything down. The cute little House Elf had come back in the morning and unstuck everything so they could get showered and dressed. Hermione recalled that she had to unstick things this morning too and wondered why. She had a vague recollection of Dobby popping into their room once or twice last night or early in the morning. She didn't want to start messing with the wards at the house or at Camelot until she knew what was already there, in case she damaged something she didn't understand and thus couldn't repair.

Things were already starting to get out of hand, she could see their discarded clothing begin to twitch and move. She had to slow things down even though he was causing such wonderful feelings and sensations throughout her body. She slowly turned and regretfully pushed against his well muscled chest until he was at arm's length, hoping he would understand. Hermione saw the disappointed look in his eyes and once a measure of sanity had returned to her brain she was able to explain her concerns to a now embarrassed, but understanding Harry. They both had a chuckle at the realization that her parents knew what they had been up to.

*************************

Earlier today

Emma appreciated her daughter's candour and was extremely surprised at Harry's patience. She didn't realize how well or how often they were appeasing each other's needs and desires by hand, mouth and tongue or how much disruption they had managed to cause in Gryffindor Tower. Hermione had assured her Mother that they hadn't actually gone all the way ... yet. For some reason she seemed to need to do that. She did however neglect to mention how close she had come to discarding their virginity and consuming the full carnal pleasure of having Prongs junior buried deeply inside Miss Jane.

*************************

Returning to now

Harry had to wonder at her logic ... wearing what she was wearing and expecting him to behave himself. She was testing every moral fibre of his being by just wearing those ... and then expecting him to ignore her. He desperately wanted to wrap his lips and tongue around her protruding nipples until she begged for more and then plunge his tongue and face into Miss Jane, making her scream his name until she was incapable of feeling any more pleasure.

That was what he wanted to do!

That was what she wouldn't allow tonight!

And yet she wore that silky, slippery, see through, crotch less, nipple baring nightwear. What was a fairly normal, for a Wizard, red blooded, English boy supposed to do while standing there, at arm's length from her, with Prongs junior pointed straight up at her face. He closed his eyelids tightly ... then ... in a silly move, lowered his line of sight, he could see her scroll by on the inside of his eyelids, every curve, bump and dimple, until his vision reached those pale blue knickers. He found he could count every curly brown hair in her bush through those marvellous knickers. Realizing that, that vision wasn't helping, he raised his sight again only to find a bird's eye view of her areolae and nipples. Even with his eyes closed he could visualize every pattern of lines, bumps and valleys, the exact shades and hues of pigment in that skin. He knew them better than he knew his own fingerprints. He was truly a lost cause ... lost in her magic ... the magic that was … Hermione. Harry gave up and slowly opened his eyes.

Hermione could sense his feelings of helplessness and turmoil as well as his overpowering love. As he had this summer when she knocked him off that park bench, having proclaimed their Love, he was again imitating a Muggle fireworks at Halloween, his magic radiating off his body. She looked into the depths of those emerging emerald green pools he used for eyes. Very gently, she entered his mind, curious about his thoughts. Hermione's logical side knew she wasn't supposed to be there, they had promised each other after all ... she needed to know what was making his magic erupt. She saw herself, in his mind's eye, the way He saw Her. She was quite unprepared for what she saw ... the brilliance ... the beauty ... the grace ... the composition and the Love ... the desperate Love. She started to cry, she never thought anyone could love her that much ... could see her as he saw her ... could need her ... as much as He ... needed Her. She knew deep down that she had been holding back, yes, logically she knew that Harry's love for her was no joke. Her own fears and frailties from a lifetime of heckles' and taunts by her peers had refused to allow her to release the full measure of her feelings for Him ... for Harry. That blockade had only now ... disintegrated. Somehow, from somewhere, a pair of thumbs reached her cheeks and gently swept away the tears, his hands cupped her face and they slowly drew together. For the first time Hermione's magic began to sparkle and radiate from her lithe frame. They remained that way for several minutes while maintaining eye contact. Harry shuffled them over to the bed. The covers sprang aside and somehow they found themselves lying, in bed, together, under the covers, completely consumed with each others feelings.