Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

A/N: [Reminder] Chapter 20, as it is currently written is at least an "R" if not "NC17" and in case you need to know, they don't actually have s_x. I don't want to loose readers just because the rating jumps up, this is your chance to convince me to change the story and keep the rating down to PG13 for the balance of the story. If you don't want to make your preference public in a review then go to my profile page and click on the email button. I will put the results at the beginning of chapter 20 and supply a link to the R rated chapter elsewhere should the vote go to PG13.

(17) The Prophesy Revealed

"Yes dear, have a seat," Poppy answered as she pulled several potion bottles out of a drawer. "After Minerva explained your special circumstances, I did some research. In a very old book that I found in the Restricted Section of the Library was a potion to terminate a pregnancy. It has a short shelf life, about a month and must be taken within twelve hours of an intercourse that causes conception. It's tricky to make and it takes two days to brew, I asked Professor Slughorn to make it for me to be sure it was done right. You need to use the standard contraceptive potion on a regular basis as this new potion requires the other one to be in your system."

Poppy taught Hermione the charm to test herself for pregnancy, then gave her three bottles of the standard potion and three bottles of the new potion that Poppy called 'the morning after' potion. They went over the potion recipies, dosage and timing details several times. Poppy had a fourth bottle of the standard potion that she made Hermione take before she left.

<><><><><><><><>

Hermione walked into the Gryffindor Common Room just ahead of Professor McGonagall and sat in the chair opposite Harry. That left the Centre chair for the Professor. Before she sat down, Minerva stood behind the arm chair and said, "If you want … your Animagus lessons can start tonight. There is one catch however, if I actually see one of you transform, I am required to see to it that you are registered. I would prefer not to have to register you as it may be advantageous in our fight against Voldemort."

"For those who are interested, be in the Transfiguration classroom after supper." Then Minerva conjured six books for them to read before taking her seat.

Harry stood up and said, "As an introduction I was going to play back the memory of the prophesy that is causing us to be here. Hermione, the bottle please." She took a small box out of her pocket, setting it on the table beside her chair before expanding it and pulling out the vial that was requested. She levitated the vial over to Harry who opened it and poured the silver strand into the pensieve. Harry motioned with his wand as if there was a vertical column above the pensieve. The air above the pensieve began to shimmer as he sat down, then the memory began to play back. Professor Trelawney's image was almost life size and each person viewed her as if she was facing that person.

After the memory playback finished, Harry said, "The glass ball that broke in the death chamber was a record made from this memory." He then picked out the strand and put it back in the vial. After sending the vial back to Hermione they discussed all the possibilities that they could think of and Harry pointed out that up to the point that Voldemort marked him, it could have been Neville instead. They all looked at Neville for a moment as Ginny squeezed his hand and looked him straight in the eyes.

Neville could see the beginnings of tears in Ginny's eyes, but the smile on her face told him that she was his, she wanted him now, not Harry, and he smiled back giving her hand a gentle squeeze to let her know he understood.

"Now" Harry said, "Professor Dumbledore thought it was important to understand Tom Riddle and the events that turned him into Voldemort. There should be a vial with the name 'Bob Ogden' on it. This time I think we're going to have to go in and follow along with Bob as he makes an official visit to the Gaunt family. There are two things I want you to pay particular attention to … Most important, although we'll see it again in a later memory, is the locket and chain that Merope Gaunt is wearing, second is the ring Marvolo is wearing."

Ginny was startled by the name Marvolo, she recognized it from the diary in first year. Harry catching on to what triggered her response said, "Yes Ginny, Marvolo Gaunt is Voldemort's Grandfather. You will also see Tom, his muggle father and Merope his mother.

Hermione passed him the vial and he poured the contents into the pensieve and stirred it with his wand. To enter the memory, simply bow your head over the pensieve and when you touch the surface you will be drawn in. At the end of the memory you will exit, if you need to get out sooner, simply concentrate on returning to this room. We will be able to see and speak to each other, the people in the memory will not see or hear us. Since it is one person's memory, we will have to follow that person. There is a lot of Parseltongue spoken in this memory; I will translate when I recognize it.

Harry led the way and they all dropped into Bob Ogden's memory. They followed Bob onto the Gaunt property, through the altercation with Morfin and into the house. During the story Harry translated the parseltongue, pointed out the ring and as Marvolo showed Ogden the locket on Merope's neck, Ginny gasped and Hermione's face lit up. They had both seen the locket before at Grimmauld Place in the summer after fourth year. They both got Harry's attention and Hermione let Ginny tell him. Harry questioned how certain Ginny was and Hermione responded that she had seen it too.

They had both wanted to keep it, but Molly insisted that it was probably too dangerous. They all wanted to leave the memory and go to Grimmauld place to find the locket. Harry insisted that they finish the memory as it was important, the locket wasn't going anywhere, or it was long gone already.

When they popped out of the memory, McGonagall asked what the significance of the locket was. Harry remembered that the Professor didn't know about the horcruxes. Harry explained that the Diary that Ginny was given in her first year and Gaunt's ring that killed Albus' wand arm and the Slytherin locket that they hoped was at Grimmauld Place were all horcruxes and there were three more somewhere. Harry found out quickly that Minerva knew what a horcrux was, she didn't realize that Tom had made any, let alone six of them.

Professor McGonagall's mind was reeling with the enormity and complexity of the tasks ahead of these six young people. How could Albus allow these kids to deal with this horrendous problem alone. She shook her head, knowing she was going to tear a strip off Albus as soon as his picture woke up.

"I'll contact Molly and Remus to have them look through the house for the locket." Said Minerva.

They decided to stop there for the day. It would be time to see Professor Flitwick soon about the rings anyway. Professor McGonagall suggested they go outside and enjoy the good weather for a few hours before supper.

Before anyone actually left Hermione called to the girls to follow her into the girl's dorms. The Boys looked at each other and then at Harry in confusion, as the Professor left through the portrait hole.

"Guys … I really don't want to talk about this … I know you've gone off in pairs with the girls and I'm not above doing the same thing. It's a wonderful feeling to wake up with your girl wrapped around you. Talk to your girl about protection … don't wait until you're in the bedroom, Do it when we're outside, find your own private place and talk to them. Trust me, talk to them, the girls will know that you care more about them than just getting your own end wet." Stated Harry who was now almost the colour of Ron's hair.

"Harry, have you even …" asked Ron.

"No", replied Harry sheepishly, "but we've talked about it … so trust me on the talking about it part."

<><><><><><><><>

Meanwhile in the girl's dorm …

Hermione turned to the other two girls and said, "We know you've paired up somewhere and I'm not here to tell you not to do it. You know the charm and you should know how to make the potion," she said as she pulled two bottles of the standard contraceptive potion out of her pocket. "I'll feel better if you take the potion, I just got these from Madam Pomfrey so they're fresh and made correctly."

Luna responded, "I'm already using the potion." Causing a stare from Ginny. "I make my own."

Ginny reached out and took the small bottle from Hermione opening it and downing the contents immediately. "I was going to use the charm, but the potion is safer … thanks Hermione, I know I haven't always been a good friend." Ginny said the last part with trepidation, then said, "I intend to change that."

"Ginny, you're very lucky that you never slept with Harry … he has too much magical power for either the potion or charm to work properly."

Ginny starred at Hermione in shock … not knowing what to say or whether to say anything.

"No, Ginny, I'm not pregnant … we found out, now we're both too scared to have sex."

"I … Oh Merlin's Beard … you can't even be with him …" Ginny said in a soft, caring voice.

"Madam Pomfrey found an old potion recipe to terminate a pregnancy before it has a chance to really get started. It only works within the first twelve hours, and if you are already using the standard potion you just drank.

"Hermione," said Luna, "Your magic is nearly as powerful as his when you two are together. As long as the two of you stay close afterwards and you concentrate strongly for several minutes on not being pregnant, then you'll be okay."

"Luna," Hermione said in a questioning voice, "where did you come up with that information?"

"What you said would be true, if … you had a normal amount of magic." Responded Luna, "You don't … Both you and Harry are very close in magical power and very compatible in that you can give and take magical energy between you. What you have is very rare, Merlin himself might have been the last wizard to be in your situation. I've had a couple of years to research this for you. I knew you'd want to know."

"Tell Harry so he can concentrate with you, it'll help. There are a few more things I know about you two, but that information can wait. Let's get back to the boys."

<><><><><><><><>

When the girls came back to the Common Room, Ron asked Luna, "What were you girls talking about?"

"Sex and pregnancies." Replied Luna in her matter of fact voice. Not only did the guys turn beet red, the other two girls did as well.

Harry recovered first because he had asked Hermione to talk to them about that. "We've been discussing the same thing, so perhaps we should leave here in pairs to continue the discussions on more personal terms, then meet up by the lake. Take the little books McGonagall left, we can read them outside."

When Ron held out his hand for Luna, Ginny grabbed it and hauled Ron, sputtering in confusion, through the portrait and into the corridor. Once in the corridor Ginny started to laugh uncontrollably at the look on Ron's face. Luna grabbed a confused Harry's hand and followed Ginny leaving a very startled Neville and a laughing Hermione behind.

"Come on Neville, let's go, Luna and Ginny are just having fun right now." said Hermione trying to relieve Neville's confusion.

Once outside the Common Room they paired up properly and made their separate ways to the Entrance Hall and outside towards the lake.

"Did the talk with the girls go okay?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Mostly … it had its embarrassing moments." She replied. "Luna doesn't seem perturbed by anything, they're both as protected as they can be, that's the good news."

"My talk with the boys had its moments too … I told them to talk with their girls to be sure they were protected. You were more relieved once we talked about it even though there isn't much we can do."

"Ummm." Started Hermione, "There may be something we can do … maybe even two things."

"Yeessss?" Said Harry in an inquisitive voice, "Madam Pomfrey had some news?"

"She did, however, I'm still concerned, it could all go so wrong, so easily."

"Explain it to me so I know … I'll abide by your decision. It's you that's taking the chance … if the results are not guaranteed, I'd prefer … well, I'd prefer that you … we didn't take any chances."

Hermione explained about Madam Pomfrey's morning after potion, that it was from a very old book and there was likely no one alive that could confirm it works. Then she tried to explain Luna's idea, but she didn't understand the mechanics of how it was supposed to work so she didn't trust it either. She felt they were more along the lines of backup plans at the moment.

"If you're not confident with a plan, then we don't take a chance. It would hurt me more than you if we messed up about this, besides I promised your dad that we wouldn't have any babies until nine months after the wedding and I intend to keep to that promise."

"Ohh Haarrryyy." She cried happily, while wrapping him up in a hug.

Not one to miss an opportunity, he hugged her back and whispered in her ear, "I love you too."

After a short detour through a broom closet, Neville and Ginny arrived at the top of the stairs that led down to the Entrance Hall. Ginny stopped abruptly and Neville bumped her, knocking her off balance, he grabbed her to keep her from falling before he noticed the same thing below them. Harry and Hermione were slowly pirouetting in mid air. While in their embrace, they were traversing across the Entrance Hall. A few feet from the far wall, as if bouncing off something invisible they changed direction to cross the Hall again at a different angle. Ginny could actually see red and gold sparks emanating off the pair. Professor Flitwick happened by the Entrance Hall on the way to his classroom and office. He shouted, "Twenty points each from Gryffindor." With a smile followed by laughter from himself and the pair at the top of the stairs.

That broke the concentration of the floating pair and they instantly dropped the few inches to the floor as they looked around, incredulous at loosing points during the summer. They both locked their eyes on tiny Professor Flitwick and raised him off the floor making him twirl around slowly.

Ginny shouted down to them, "Forty points from Ravenclaw for dancing without a partner."

Harry let the Professor down gently an arms length away, after Hermione broke her concentration to look at Ginny and Neville who were now coming down the stairs at a run.

"I can see I'm going to have to come up with something far more advanced to keep your interest this coming year." Said Flitwick, "Come let's do your rings, do you have them with you?"

As Hermione was about to say yes, Ginny ran up to them almost breathless and squeaked out, "What, was all that flying?"

"Miss Weasley," Professor Flitwick asked, "Have you ever heard the rumours of what happens when two magically powerful people let their emotions get the better of them?"

A little startled by the Professor's response Ginny stuttered a, "Yes … but … that's not the way I heard it?"

"Yes," the professor said, "the usual story has two purebloods and small objects floating around the room … is that the way you heard it?"

"Yes … basically." She answered.

"That is the usual story told by Pure Bloods to instil in others the myth of pure blood superiority. The facts are that it simply takes unconditional love and raw magical power. The more of both, the larger the objects that will float." said Professor Flitwick

"Ginny, Neville, Professor … please don't say anything about this, we'll try to be more careful so it doesn't happen again." requested Harry.

"Hermione, is this what you meant by Harry being so powerful?" asked Ginny.

Before Hermione could respond the tiny Professor said, "That kind of display took more than one wizards magic Miss Weasley. I'd like to see you two out on a dance floor … I think I'll talk to Minerva about that later."

"Come on you two … or four, let's get those rings charmed, I don't believe you can't do them yourselves."

The four of them followed the Professor to the Charms classroom and Hermione described to him what she wanted the rings to do. Sizing the rings was an easy enough charm, keying the ring to an individual and the changes to the basic Protean charm would be very complicated. Filius explained the process and the charms to them and left them with some small rocks to practice on. When he came back he checked their work and pronounced it excellent. The final step was the actual rings, The four of them charmed one ring each then Hermione charmed the last three all at once.

Filius warned them that the first time a ring was put on a finger it would size to that finger and key to that person so only that person could use it on that finger.

The four of them put on their rings then Ginny and Neville took two rings outside for Ron and Luna while Harry and Hermione took the last ring to Minerva. Eventually they all met outside under a tree by the lake.

Harry and Hermione excused themselves to take a walk along the lakeshore. Walking hand in hand they were soon out of sight of the others. Harry slowed and stopped causing Hermione to look at him with curiosity in her eyes.

He turned to her taking both her hands in his and said, "You're going to think I'm strange, but I'd like to talk. I think it's important. To me it feels important. I'd like to get a … sense … a feeling … an understanding of what happened over the last six years that brings us to this … here … today."

She stepped closer, "You're right, that sounds strange coming from you. I would have thought I'd have to drag you kicking and screaming through a discussion like that." She spoke into his chest as she threaded her arms under his and around him and pulled him in tight.

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and placed his hands on the middle of her back, gently squeezing her to him. "I would have never thought this could feel … so amazing … so warm and wonderful." He could smell that flowery smell again, so he buried his nose in her hair to be sure it was coming from her. "You remember that first lesson with Slughorn, where he had all those cauldrons bubbling away?"

"Yeeessss," she said slowly, dreamily.

"The Amortentia … what did you smell … when Slughorn asked, you said freshly mowed grass and new parchment and then I think you blushed and it seemed like you were going to say more, but didn't?"

"You remembered that?" she murmured.

"I remember a lot of things you've said over the years. I smelled a flowery aroma that day, and I remember thinking I had smelled it before at The Burrow. I never did smell it on Ginny or I would have recognized it. I did smell it again recently."

"Oh … where?" she said in a dreamy voice.