Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling belong to the aforementioned J. K. Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get. Beta'd by 'the_scribbler', thank you.

Recap from the end of Chapter 37:

Harry had been listening in through Hermione's mind and suggested that she not say anything about him. Since she let the kneazle out of the bag anyway, he would morph into Neville because he could do that quickly, before they could make their way back to the kitchen. "What about Harry?" asked Minerva. Fortunately Minerva wasn't looking at the clown like grin on Tonks face. Neville and Ginny were also confused, they had arrived back home as Luna and Ron were leaving for two weeks with Luna's father. No more than the briefest of pleasantries were exchanged amongst the four.

"You'll see in a minute, let's go inside and have breakfast." Said Hermione as she turned her cousin around and marched her into the kitchen. The others followed. On the way in Minerva had been speculating to herself about the meaning behind Hermione's correction to four from five. She had just about come to the unlikely conclusion that Harry might be like Tonks, a Metamorphmagus and was considering all the havoc that Tonks had created with her Metamorphmagus abilities.

38 - The Golden Egg

Harry had quickly warned the two sets of parents as he morphed. The others, excluding Hermione, stopped dead in their tracks at the kitchen door when they realized that there was an extra Neville already in the kitchen who was, for lack of a better word, orchestrating the food preparation.

The bacon continued making its own way into and out of one frying pan and in the process being cooked. Eggs were breaking themselves over a grille and some were coming off over easy, scrambled, poached or in one case a Denver Omelette. He had found the tomato, ham, green pepper and cheese in the fridge for Dan's favourite breakfast. Harry had also found a heating charm that made perfect toast; it came out an even golden brown. By the time the first three plates had hovered over to the kitchen table, Hermione's entourage from the back yard had arrived at the kitchen door. Hermione quickly expanded the table and made places for them around it. Soon Harry, still resembling Neville, was carrying the last plate of food to the table for himself while everyone complimented his cooking. The conjured pots and pans from the cooking process were banished to the magical bit bucket … or wherever banished items went. Harry did have his wand in hand and appeared to be using it as he went about making breakfast, Jeannette however did watch carefully and noticed that there were no telltale sparks or light beams being emitted from his wand. Janet and Emma, like Jeannette, could see that while Harry was waving his wand around during the making of breakfast, it wasn't actually being used.

Jeannette was the first to say, "If you are going to make the other kids in school think you still need your wands you should actually use them and not just wave them around." Hermione had realized this from watching Harry make breakfast though Harry thought he had done a convincing job of pretending to use his wand, until it was pointed out that he wasn't.

During the ensuing conversation between Tonks and Minerva, of the properties of Animagus and Metamorphmagus transformations that had Hermione's absolute attention as well as everyone else's, Harry changed back into himself.

Since the fight in Diagon Alley and the trip to Hogwarts, Jeannette had been looking through Hermione's school texts and considering the possibility of asking her parents to allow her to go to Hogwarts. Jeannette had several good arguments worked out, the Library was much bigger, the DADA course was much better, Harry and even poor Cedric had easily done twice as good as Fleur in the Tri-Wizard Tournament and of course Hermione would be there if she had any problems. She didn't think it would be in her best interests to mention that Hogwarts had more boys … well Hogwarts had more than twice as many students as Beauxbatons so naturally there would be more boys. Her parents would save some money because the tuition at Hogwarts was not as expensive as at that very elegant and pompous French Palace.

During a lull at the end of Professor McGonagall's conversation about transformations Jeannette voiced her question to the Headmistress, "What requirements would I have to meet to be able to transfer to Hogwarts for my second year?"

The question caught the Headmistress right out of position, guarding the wrong hoop so to speak, though it barely showed for the briefest moment. Minerva first looked at the astonished expressions on the parents' faces then she replied to Jeannette, "The first thing you'll need is your parent's permission and from the looks of it you need to talk to them. Next I'll need a transcript of your marks and payment of tuition fees. You'll need books of course for second year and you may need some of the first year books as well. If I remember correctly the Defence Against the Dark Arts curriculum at Beauxbatons is … how do I put this politely … much easier than the same course at Hogwarts. Harry and Hermione should be able to help you catch up with what you have missed, they are the best in the school and very good at teaching.

Harry and Tonks had scooted off into a corner and arranged for Tonks to meet Aunt Petunia when she arrived back from her cruise. Tonks had a picture of Petunia, so recognizing her wouldn't be a big problem, but he thought his Aunt may baulk at going with someone she doesn't recognize. It was decided that Tonks would morph into Hermione for the meeting.

- - - - - - - -

Thurs Aug 28th

Over the next few days the teens took Jeannette to Hogwarts and taught her some of the defensive magic that she had not been taught in her first year at Beauxbatons, however there was no convincing her parents to let her change schools. They felt it was just too dangerous in Britain right now, that and the idea that a few students were supposed to defeat this terrorist was just pushing credibility for them.

- - - - - - - -

When the teens arrived at Hogwarts, they always checked in with the Headmistress. Today they got news, both good and bad. The bad news, Draco Malfoy, for some insane reason, was being allowed to return, with some restrictions. The good news, Mad-eye and Remus would be available tonight to help retrieve Ravenclaw's Wand.

"When I mentioned that Hermione found out how to get in and out of the wand shop and where to find a copy of Rowena's wand from Mr. Ollivander, they wanted to know why they were kept in the dark about the fate of Frisel, and Florean came into the conversation as well." Said Minerva. "I told them plainly that I had only just found out and I couldn't very well trust sending those details by owl post that anyone could intercept. Naturally they agreed, and they both asked to bring Frisel along, thus simplifying the process of gaining access to the shop."

"Yes I was thinking about that too … but we don't want Mr. Ollivander to be seen, or to be in any danger." Responded Hermione.

"Mr. Ollivander is a very accomplished Wizard, had he been interested in politics or teaching he would have given Albus a run for his money. If you can bring Harry and Frisel to the Weasley's shop just after dark, Remus and Mad-eye will be waiting for you." Said Minerva. "Use Fawkes rather than give away your Animagus form."

Jeannette looked again at her cousin, she knew Harry could morph into anyone and at the house Hermione had indicated she had an Animagus, but never said what it was. Minerva caught the look in Jeannette's eyes and understood. "Miss Lamonde … it would be very dangerous to the safety of your cousin and her friends if you were to reveal the fact that they are Animagi and that Harry is a Metamorphmagus. I won't ask for a Witches Oath, but it is that important … do you understand?"

"Yes Ma'am, I won't tell a soul." She replied.

Fawkes had been on his perch having a snack and listening in on their conversation. Harry looked at the brilliant red and gold bird that used to be Godric Gryffindor and they both made eye contact. An image and message formed in Harry's mind and Fawkes understood, his mission was to relay the message to Mr. Ollivander to be ready to leave as the daylight ebbed.

They left the Headmistress's office and made their way to the Room of Requirement for Jeannette's Defence lessons. Jeannette was just as quick to learn spells as Hermione, when she wanted to concentrate, but her mind was sidetracked this morning trying to figure out what Hermione's Animagus form was. Before lunch Hermione called a halt to the training session and confronted her cousin.

It didn't take long to determine that it was the question of Hermione's Animagus form that was distracting Jeannette. Hermione transformed as she jumped into the air and took flight. After a few circuits of the room she landed on Jeannette's shoulder. Though never having seen one except in books, she recognized that the bird was a Phoenix. The lessons then moved along at a much faster pace until they stopped for lunch.

- - - - - - - -

After lunch in the Great Hall where Jeannette met some of the professors, a few had not as yet returned, they went back to the Room of Requirement where they continued the Defence lessons until mid afternoon. About three they decided they had had enough. Jeannette was just about asleep on her feet, she had been working very hard. They made their way to the Heads suite and dropped onto the sofa. Hermione made a little fire in the fireplace, mostly for looks and when they turned back to Jeannette, she was fast asleep. They had been pushing her along a steep learning curve and it was bound to take its toll, but she was picking up everything very quickly. Jeannette looked comfortable where she was so they carefully got up and went to Harry's room before removing their school robes.

They called Dobby and asked him to make sure they were up by half of five to get home for supper. They still had on their jeans and T-shirts that were under the robes when they climbed onto Harry's bed.

Harry thought better of it for a moment and set up; taking off his t-shirt. He loved feeling Hermiones' face against his chest and being naked from the waist up was just more comfortable.

Harry lay back again and Hermione climbed over him and assumed her usual position leaning on his left side with her left hand on his chest. They both had an arm around the other when her head found its niche on his shoulder.

They lay there for quite a while saying nothing and enjoying the peace and quiet. It was in moments like this that they both wondered how they managed to survive all the years until this summer ... or more to the point why they bothered to survive without each other. Hermione manoeuvred herself around so she could play with the animated Hungarian Horntail image that Harry kept morphed on his chest.

The animation was a bit jumpy still, but the image was clear and near life-like, nesting on a clutch of eggs. Every once in a while when the Dragon moved you could see a golden egg hidden in the clutch. Hermione was using her finger, dragging it along Harry's chest and distracting the Dragon. If she wasn't careful and quick enough the Dragon's head would actually become three dimensional, lifting out of Harry's chest and grabbing onto Hermione's finger. It reminded Hermione of the Alien bursting out of someone's chest in a movie of the same name. When she had moved the dragon off the nest enough, she tried to touch the egg, half the time the Dragon won by hiding the egg with a wing, a leg or by grabbing her finger with its head. This game had started last night, Harry had finally figured out a few obscure morphing secrets, with Hermione's help of course, and had been able to animate the coloured image of the Horntail.

Originally it had been a male Horntail and he called it Norbert, last night, after he animated it, Hermione suggested he change it to a female Horntail and add the clutch of eggs, she had figured out how to make a game out of it.

They were still playing when Jeannette wandered in through the loo door, rubbing the back of her neck. She had wandered into Hermione's room first and finding no one there had come through the connecting bathroom. They both heard the door open. Jeannette cautiously looked around the door and met Harry's eyes looking back at her with a grin on his face. As she took in the entire scene she was startled to realize that the pair of them appeared to be floating just above the bed … her mouth dropped open in surprise.

Jeannette had overheard some of the older girls at school talking one day about being with the right guy, with enough magic … but no … that wasn't right either, they weren't making love and there were no small items floating in the air. They were just laying on top of the bed, fully clothed … well … their school robes, as well as a t-shirt, were draped over a chair near the desk. Each one's attention was held by whatever was happening on Harry's chest, other than Harry's attention being momentarily diverted when she entered the room. She looked again … the pair of them were floating. Harry looked up and noticed the surprise and then the confusion that was apparent on Jeannette's face as she approached the bed.

He averted direct eye contact, he didn't really want to know what was going on in her mind. Hermione could see her come nearer in his mind and the look of surprise, and then the wonder in her eyes as she realized that they were still floating. During that brief span of inattention on Harry's part, Hermione had managed to touch the golden Egg twice more bringing the score in her favour by 481 to 480 at which point she quit. It was nearly time to go anyway, or so she said to Harry.

Jeannette was still more interested in the build of Harry's chest than the explanation her cousin was making until Hermione reached out with her magic and wandlessly summoned Harry's T-shirt and took away the eye candy Jeannette was enjoying. She had watched her cousin gain her last two winning points although she didn't realize it until the game was explained to her. Jeannette had never seen or heard of anything like that before except in a video game … then the name Game Boy came to mind and she giggled.

Hermione gave Harry a brief hug which he reciprocated, and then she gave a light push, rolling off his side towards the wall. They slowly settled down onto the bed before realizing they had arms trapped beneath each other. Hermione sighed and attempted to lift herself up ... Harry assisted in rolling her directly on top of himself, and in the process, lingering for a moment to kiss her as he continued the roll ... freeing her arm and helping her sit up on the edge of the bed.

- - - - - - - -

They arrived back in Hermione's bedroom, in Oxford at five thirty as promised. Their arrival had not gone unnoticed and Janet passed Harry on her way upstairs, to find the girls washing up and laughing at something. Janet knew that her daughter thought Harry was someone special and she also knew that Hermione had already staked her claim, so it was a good sign that they were getting along. "So, what news have you ... How is Jeannette doing in her defence training?"

Hermione responded, "I think if we had another two days, as far as the practical is concerned, she'll be ready."

"And I've almost finished the first year text." Jeannette said brightly, "There's a lot in there that we don't learn at Beauxbatons." Then her expression became gleeful, "Mama, you must see Harry's dragon, it's so cute!"

Hermione groaned, she knew Harry would be more embarrassed than impressed. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Mama, these two ... they float ... in the air, they have ... so much magic, I've heard stories, but never believed it to be truly possible."

"You can levitate objects too, you've told me you can?" Janet queried.

"Non, non, you meeezzunerstan ..." Jeannette was getting frustrated, her point wasn't getting across and she didn't want to revert to French. Since she was five she had made a deal with her parents to speak to her Mother in English and her Father in French, unless she was talking to both together, then she picked the language. Thus she was quite fluent in both languages until she became excited or frustrated when it all mixed together.

"Take a few minutes to calm down, and then explain it to me." Janet responded, she could see in her daughter's expression that her mind was fighting for a way to explain something uniquely magical to her, a Muggle.

During supper the explanation was attempted again and with Dan's and Emma's help by recollecting the evening that Hermione's room was trashed, the point that Jeannette was trying to make about magically powerful couples, started to become clear.