Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer & Author's Notes

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

I would like to thank SHARDRACO for proofreading my chapters and correcting my mangled grammar and spelling.

(2) The Phoenix

After Ron had left the common room, Hermione turned to Harry, "Maybe he does have an emotional range of more than a teaspoon after all. Let's go see what Professor McGonagall wants."

They made their way out of the portrait hole and bid goodbye to the Fat Lady, who looked like she had been crying for a very long time. They hurried through several hallways and staircases to get to the gargoyles that guard the Headmaster's office. Harry spoke the password "Toffee éclairs" and the gargoyles sprang aside as the rotating circular staircase began to rise.

Hermione and Harry stepped onto the stairs and rode them to the top, then stepped off onto the landing in front of the door to the office. When Hermione was about to knock, the door suddenly opened, McGonagall must have flicked her wand to open it.

"Come in, come in. Have a seat," she said. "What I have to say involves you both

As they entered, McGonagall conjured a second chair in front of her desk. The little silver instruments that were chirping, whistling and steaming, when the office belonged to Dumbledore, were still there. Fawkes golden perch was now at the back of the office under the window. The big, red and gold coloured bird hasn't been seen since the Headmaster's death. True, they had all heard the Phoenix song, even at the funeral, but the bird was not to be seen.

McGonagall looked very tired and appeared as though she could use a quiet summer vacation to recover from the last week's problems. The portraits on the walls had been rearranged by McGonagall so that Dumbledore's portrait was now on her right side, just a little behind her. Although his portrait wasn't awake yet, it was positioned so that he could keep an eye on the faces of anyone positioned in front of Minerva's desk.

The door wherein Dumbledore's pensieve was located, was open, but only contained an empty shelf. The crystal vials containing memories were on the shelf above.

"I assume Mr. Weasley has left for the train as he isn't here," said McGonagall. "First, I am contemplating making the two of you Head Boy and Head Girl for next year." The two of them turned to look at each other. Harry could see the trace of a smile that had formed on Hermione's lips disappear as McGonagall finished, "That is assuming there is a next year. I am hoping you will both come back to school. I believe, that will have a significant effect on the decision whether to keep Hogwarts open."

McGonagall continued, "Harry, I won't ask you again what you and Albus did the night he died, but I do need to know if it is finished, or ongoing, and how long you think it may take."

After thinking for a few moments Harry replied, "The task is ongoing and the duration will be determined by luck and information."

McGonagall nodded and said, "If you accept the Headships, you will have your own quarters and common room, which will give you some privacy to carry on with your task. Unfortunately, the replacement batch of time-turners will take another 10 years to complete. However, I can adjust your course schedules to give you days of free time and even allow you to skip classes in which you have already learned the material. You will gain the relative safety of the castle, as well as unlimited access to all areas of the school and the Library's restricted section. I have already asked the other Professors and we will be more than happy to assist you in any way we can. When you need to leave the castle, all I require is that you let me know where you are going and when you expect to return. This is just in case you get into trouble and we need to send someone to look for you. I expect you might wish to use my floo to enter and leave the castle. That way your trips will be less obvious to others."

"You don't have to let me know right now, but I will need your answer within a week so that the status of the school can be determined and new staffing can be arranged."

"Albus' portrait should begin waking up for short periods of time sometime around your birthday, Harry. I expect he would want to see you. I will send an owl to let you know when he is awake. Now, Albus left a letter for me to open in your presence, should he die."

As Professor McGonagall reached down and opened a desk drawer to pull out a rather large, bulky envelope. Fawkes, Dumbledore's pet Phoenix, who had been heard but not seen over the past few days, popped into the middle of the office with a small but bright red flash as he flew to his perch and calmly watched the group.

Fawkes' sudden appearance startled everyone. Professor McGonagall recovered first and had the suspicion that Fawkes's arrival was not by chance. McGonagall opened the large envelope only to find three smaller ones. The top one was marked in his neat script 'The Last Will and Testament of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - not to be opened until my portrait awakens'. The middle one was marked 'Minerva McGonagall - open me first' and the last one was marked 'Harry Potter - personal'.

"Harry, here is your letter. As it is marked 'personal', just tuck it away for now and we'll get on with this one that's addressed to me." Professor McGonagall proceeded to read her letter aloud:

<><><><>

Dear Minerva,

You are probably more aware of my preferences than most. I trust by now you have put my physical remains to rest appropriately. My first hope is that everyone is dealing with my death as well as can be expected. I am most concerned with Harry's wellbeing. Please see to it that he is not left alone over the summer to brood over events. I am sure he thinks that he could have prevented everything.

There was an unrecorded prophecy that decreed my death by the hand of Severus Snape and the reason for it. When and where it would happen was a bit vague, so I have been prepared for a while. It also said that a young and powerful wizard would witness my death and later be my successor. Assuming my interpretation is correct, then Severus actually doing me a favour, as I was likely dying a slow, irreversible death from whatever I had been doing beforehand. I can only hope that the results of the endeavour justified my death.

Minerva, I expect that Harry, and possibly his friends, are with you now. Based on my assessment of the senior students and other factors, I expect Harry is the witness spoken of in the prophecy. You know the charm for determining raw magical power. It might be prudent to test Harry now, as that may help you both in determining the proper direction to proceed from here. For reference, at graduation I was a bright yellow and at magical maturity a bright orange. Merlin, who was an immortal, was supposed to have a blinding white aura, according to the legend.

In my bedchamber is a trunk with the name 'James Potter' engraved in the top. That trunk and my pensieve need to be given to Harry before he leaves. The letter for Harry will explain some of the contents of the trunk, as well as other information I feel he needs to know.

Someone with the Animagus form of a white Phoenix, possibly unregistered, will be found and then will lead The Order of the Phoenix. After he has taken the necessary training and given his father's skill, I am thinking it may be Harry. However, with Harry being so young, many of the older members may not easily accept him. This being the case, and since Harry has other things that I've set him to do, I think you will agree that it would be best to have someone older occupy the leadership position and work with Harry in the background to accomplish our goals. I would suggest you, Remus, or Arthur in that capacity.

Albus

<><><><>

When McGonagall finished reading, Fawkes made eye contact with Harry. Harry stared and then sighed, "Oh no … you've got to be kidding!"

Fawkes had sent him an image of Harry with a long black beard, wearing Dumbledore's robes and hat. Moments later, Fawkes flew over and perched himself gently on Harry's shoulder.

While Minerva had been reading her letter, Hermione had slid her hand over Harry's. When Harry spoke, she looked up at him, confused, then let out a gasp as something red blocked her view. "Harry …," she shrieked, "What ...?" and she faltered as the red thing came into focus and she realized it was Fawkes on Harry's shoulder.

Harry recovered after a few seconds and said, "Hedwig is not going to like this!"

McGonagall's look changed to a cautious grin and Hermione snickered softly. "But Hagrid will like it!" said Hermione.

"Fawkes has been here as long as the sorting hat," said McGonagall. "He used to belong to Godric Gryffindor … well … a phoenix never really belongs to anyone, much like a cat. They are very independent, but they would like a warm home and regular meals. A phoenix chooses whom he wants to be with. Fawkes generally chooses the next Headmaster or Headmistress of the school. Tell me please, how and what Fawkes communicated to you."

"He sent me a detailed image of me that included my face, complete with the scar and green eyes, looking quite a bit older. I was wearing Professor Dumbledore's robes and hat. In one hand was Godric's sword and in the other was the sorting hat. Fawkes was perched on my shoulder and Hermione was standing beside me with a white Phoenix on her shoulder."

"You got a complete image like that in your mind!" said McGonagall in surprise. "I don't think Albus ever got more than thoughts and impressions. Interesting! Perhaps he was right. I should test you now, perhaps both of you. If you don't mind, Miss Granger?"

"No, I don't mind. But, could you teach me the spell, Professor?"

"Certainly, the incantation is 'Energus Revelio' and watch my wand movement."

McGonagall got up and walked over to Hermione. "Hold your wand straight down over the person or object's balance point and move the wand tip in a counter clockwise circular motion while saying the charm. Energus Revelio!"

In the area circumscribed by her wand tip, a ball of mist formed that changed from black to blue through green to predominantly yellow and stopped at yellow with a slight green tinge.

"Hmmm," said McGonagall, as Hermione looked at Harry. "You could be as powerful as Albus and you've got the smarts to go with it. We don't test students in this way any more. I think it has been over a hundred years since it was common practice. It was discontinued when it caused problems between students in the past. I'll sit down and you practice on me. I'll know if you've done it right, and then you can test Harry. I should produce about the same colour as you, with a touch more green."

As McGonagall sat in her chair, Hermione walked over and stood beside her. Hermione held her wand up as McGonagall looked up and said, "That looks right dear, go ahead."

While Hermione was moving her wand tip in a circle above McGonagall, she spoke the spell 'Energus Revelio'. A ball of mist formed as before and changed through the colours to stop at yellow with a green tinge, as Professor McGonagall had predicted.

"Very good! Not that I expected any less from you, but that spell is actually trickier than it appears. If you are far too off from the balance point, or the wand movement is too fast or slow, you could lower the results enough to indicate that I am a squib or a Muggle. Alright, now try it on Mr. Potter."

Hermione walked over to Harry and did exactly the same spell. It produced the ball of mist above Harry's head that went through the colours from black to blue, through green and yellow, to orange and stopped with a slightly red tinge on the orange. McGonagall made an 'eep' sound and Hermione let out a small 'oohhh' before Harry looked up to see his colour. He was expecting a green, or maybe closer to yellow because he didn't expect to be up to the level of either of the others. Well really, Hermione is so quick to catch on to new spells and Professor McGonagall is a Professor, for Merlin's sake! How could he possibly be more powerful? Harry looked at the ball of mist in stunned disbelief; then looked at Hermione's smiling face for a moment before looking to McGonagall for some explanation.

"Harry," said McGonagall. "Your raw magical power is now stronger than Albus ever was and can only get stronger. Albus's advantage, of course, was his experience and knowledge. You will probably be fully red by your normal graduation time and likely be a bright to a dark red in your mid-20's. The Founders were in the bright to dark red range and, if the stories are correct, Godric Gryffindor had some white light in his dark red mist. Most students would be in the light blue to green range at graduation based on the level of magical abilities they display during exams.

"You both should be able to do wandless magic, with a lot of practice. Really, the only difference between using a wand and not, is that the wand enhances and focuses the spell to make it stronger. That is why having the right wand makes magic easier. The Ministry only traces improper and underage magic done with a wand. You will have to concentrate more and focus the magic with your mind; you can even point with your finger if you think it might help. I suggest you practice outdoors until you are certain of your focus."

"Now then, as for that picturesque image you received from Fawkes…" said McGonagall turning around to face the bookcase behind her desk. "There is a notebook here somewhere that should confirm my suspicions … ah, there it is …" and she opened it at the last bookmark. "Here we are. Godric's sword and the Sorting Hat indicate that you are to be first a teacher, then Headmaster here at Hogwarts. The older appearance in your face probably indicates your age when you become Headmaster."

"Okay then, I don't have to worry about that right now," said Harry.

McGonagall continued, "Fawkes on your shoulder means that he has chosen you to be his friend or host. While he generally resides in this office, he will come when you call." She found the next bookmark. "Oh … interesting."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, both thinking the same thing. The person standing beside Harry, can that mean …?

"Let me first of all say that somewhere in the first few pages of this book I remember reading that the impression you get from Fawkes is only what could be. Hermione, you and Harry standing together indicates you will be together for a long time, possibly just as friends or you may both end up teaching here. You didn't mention seeing Ron in the image. That could have several interpretations, one being a more personal relationship between the two of you."

A grin came over both their faces for a moment and they looked back at McGonagall.

"The white Phoenix on Hermione's shoulder is a puzzler." She said as she continued to skim through the notebook looking for any reference to a white Phoenix. The white Phoenix could be choosing you to look after him, or … perhaps it is a hint that you will be chosen to lead The Order. There is no one registered at The Ministry with an Animagus form of a Phoenix, white or otherwise."

"Professor, all the Animagus forms I've heard about before were non-magical animals, a stag, rat, dog and beetle. Would an Animagus Phoenix possess the same powers of a Phoenix, too?"

"Interesting question, I can't recollect anyone that has been a magical creature before. When Albus wakes up, perhaps he will have an answer."

"Albus and I have tried to keep a close eye on the three of you over the years. The castle paintings are very useful in that regard, although some of them are less than reliable. By our observations of the three of you, it seems the two of you have gotten along together better, on a personal level, something more than either one of you have achieved individually with Mr, Weasley."

"Excuse me Professor, you're not thinking we should separate ourselves from Ron?" said Harry.

"No, no, of course not. Hear me out. Mr. Weasley is an important part of your group and the three of you work surprisingly well together. I have often thought there should be an appropriate fourth person, another girl perhaps, to balance your group. There is more power in four. The school was built upon it. Although that ultimately failed, as you know. It's just a thought. I'm not suggesting you need to find a fourth."

"Good," said Hermione. "That's an interesting idea though."

"Now, as for being a teacher and Headmaster, Harry. In the normal course of events, you would have to have graduated and be out in the world for several years before we would even consider allowing you, or anyone, to teach. Even then, you would have to teach here for quite a few years before the Board of Governors would allow you to become eligible to be Headmaster."

"Yes, well, like you said, that's in the future. I'll deal with that much later," said Harry.

"As I said, in the normal course of events … you realize that I have to find two new teachers for next year. I expect I will be too busy to teach Transfiguration myself, so I need a new Transfiguration teacher. That shouldn't be a big problem. Defense Against the Dark Arts may be a problem. If I can't find anyone, I may try to bring Remus back, if the Board of Governors would let me. Another possibility is that I might be able to use the three of you, at least part time, to do what you were doing in your DA group. With Albus gone, I expect You-Know-Who to be preparing for a major battle that will likely come by the end of the next school year."

"The sooner we get our project completed, the sooner we can prepare for the final battle," said Harry.

"Until the white Phoenix makes its appearance and chooses someone, I will continue running the Order," said McGonagall. "The train has left half an hour ago. I'll give you your Head Boy and Head Girl badges now. They will give you access to the Head's quarters, this office and its floo, and the Restricted Section of the Library. Filch and the other teachers won't question you while you wear the badges. The teachers will be eating in the Great Hall at noon. You can join us if you like, or call Dobby to get you some dinner. We can use Fawkes at about six o'clock to apparate to Platform 9¾ at King's Cross."

"Fawkes?" said Harry and Hermione together.

"Yes, Fawkes. Oh, that's right. You've never apparated by Phoenix before, have you?"

"No," they both said together. "But I read about it," said Hermione. "If Harry holds onto Fawkes, or he is perched on Harry's arm or shoulder, then Harry simply tells Fawkes where to take him. Well, I think it actually said you were supposed to ask the Phoenix, but they seldom refuse their host."

"That's right. If you are holding onto Harry, then you'll go along with him. A Phoenix, like House Elves, can apparate through most anti-apparition barriers, including the school's anti-apparition wards. Since Phoenixes are so rare, the Ministry doesn't monitor apparition by Phoenix and it's a safer way to travel, especially if you are tired or injured."

"You mean we could apparate to anywhere in the school, or straight to and from the Dursleys?" said Harry.

"Even into the Chamber of Secrets?" asked Hermione.

"Yes, and probably," McGonagall said, looking grimly from Harry to Hermione, then back to Harry, "but I don't want either of you wandering around the Chamber of Secrets alone and certainly not without my knowledge. Nobody else can get in there, except You-Know-Who, if you two get into trouble and I don't think he'll come to rescue you."

"Harry, don't let anyone from the Ministry spot you using Fawkes to apparate, at least until your seventeenth birthday. If word gets back to the Magical Law Enforcement Office, or Dolores Umbridge, it could be construed as underage magic and you know what happened last time," said McGonagall. I'll send Albus's trunk and pensieve to the Head's Common Room for you."

"Thank you Professor, we've got a lot to think about. May I use Fawkes to apparate between the Dursleys, the Burrow and here this summer?" said Harry. "If I can get to the Burrow or here, then I can floo to anywhere magical."

"I think that should be safe enough, but send a note to Molly or me first, in case there are any visitors from the Ministry present. Also, Fawkes can transport your messages instantly, unlike an owl that has to fly to its destination."

Harry turned to Hermione, "Let's check out the Head's quarters and then find something to eat." Turning back to McGonagall he said, "We'll let you know if we leave the castle, or go to the Chamber." Taking hold of Hermione's hand, Harry started to say to Fawkes, "Please take us to …" and they were there in a flash of red light and only a whisper of a pop, "... the Head's Common Room."