Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

I am sorry about the delay, I haven't been writing much lately. I am very disappointed in the R/Hr and H/G ending of DH and can't quite seem to get my - - - - together. The next update might be around the middle of September as I have work around the house to complete over the next few weeks.

(31) Passports

"All my information is from various historical records that were not created for this purpose … however … in the majority of cases that I am aware of, it appears that the weaker magical power changes to conform with the stronger power. There are enough exceptions to my observations to suggest that there may be more factors to take into consideration … or it could be random chance. Several couples did not change at all, however they were arranged marriages." Albus closed his eyes for a moment and yawned. "I think it's time for another nap, thank you both for coming and I promise to be bright and chipper for Monday. The Will reading will be held here at the castle in the Great Hall. I expect there to be about fifty people present. Some Aurors and certain members of the Order will also be present to provide security."

- - - - - - - -

After returning from their meeting with Dumbledore's portrait at Hogwarts the teens had been discussing how to deal with Hermione's parents. They had run through all the options from memory charms to denying everything then to only answering questions and finally deciding on full disclosure. Since Dan and Emma already knew the worst of it from Arthur, the other incidental adventures would, hopefully, seem trivial by comparison.

Part way through the afternoon's discussion, a tiny Scoop Owl tapped on the living room window. Hermione looked at the window and banished the glass, so that Pigwidgeon could deliver his Masters letter. Harry removed the letter from the owl's leg and suggested to Pigwidgeon that he should fly upstairs, there was an extra perch in Harry's bedroom for Fawkes, with food, water and treats that the little owl could have. Harry also asked Pig to try not to annoy Hedwig.

Hermione had opened the note and confirmed that the untidy scrawl was indeed from their best friend, Ron.

- - - -

Ron's note:

Hi Guys, I'm sure you're both reading this

Ginny told me that Neville usually spends a few weeks in August and again at Christmas break visiting relatives in England and Europe along with his Gran. Neville had been allowed to ask Ginny if she would like to accompany them and Mom said it was okay. Ginny's bouncing around like Pigwidgeon, trying to figure out what clothes to pack and everything. Dad gave her a bag of galleons for spending money, and of course they both asked me to thank you for that … so … thank you for that. She leaves tomorrow morning, so the house will be quiet again.

Luna and her Dad are going abroad about the time that Ginny will be back. They're looking for an Umgubular Slashkilter and some Blibbering Humdingers, both of which have been sighted somewhere in Denmark, so I'm told. Luna asked me to come with them. Like I'm going to turn Luna down, or for that matter let her out of my sight. Mom said I could go if I had my homework done before we left, I bet you've got yours done long ago. Luna said she would help me with the homework. I don't know how much help she can be since she's not taking the same year's courses. Well, other than inspiration, maybe that's enough. We'll be back at the end of August, probably just in time to dash through Diagon Alley before boarding the train. Dad said he would give me a bag of galleons too, but not before I'm heading out the door. He probably thinks I'll spend it all on junk before I leave, he might be right too.

Luna and I are together almost constantly now, either here or at her home or at The Quibbler office, which is on their property anyway. Ginny and Neville are much the same, they're either both here or both gone, and Neville's always dragging her around to see some obscure plant or another.

Don't be shy, come visit

Ron

P.S. I don't know what's got into me, Luna must be rubbing off, normally you would be lucky if you got a note from me at all.

- - - -

"Lucky people," Harry said, "They can get away for a while and see new places and meet new people, not that I'm complaining, I've had a marvellous time this summer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I should be feeling guilty considering the people that got hurt and killed for this summer to be as fantastic as it is."

"Harry!" she exclaimed in an annoyed voice, "You have nothing to feel guilty for …" she stopped speaking abruptly and her eyes opened wide as a happy face overcame the mad expression she had a moment before. "We are going away," she said, and Harry's face turned into confusion, was there something he didn't know? "Oh, Merlin, Mum told me when we were getting ready for your birthday supper, everything was so hectic then that I completely forgot to mention it. We usually take off some time in the middle of July for two weeks and go to France or Europe or somewhere warm. This year, for some reason, it's going to be the middle two weeks in August. Our booklists should come this week, we can pick up our books and have something to read on the beach. Oh … I've got to do some shopping, last years bathing suit is not going to fit!" Hermione exclaimed as she looked down at her hips and waist, "And neither are the shorts!" Then just as excitedly she added, "And I'll bet you don't even have a Passport?" she inquired.

"Uhhhhh … no," he said sheepishly, "Do I need one?"

"It's still Friday and we have a little time, we could apparate over to the Ministry and at least fill out the paperwork to get yours started. I think a magical Passport would be easier to get for you, mine is a muggle Passport and at our age, you need parents to sign, and other people that have known you for at least two years."

"Oh," Harry said, thinking for a moment, "Have you been to the Ministry apparition point before?"

"No," replied Hermione, "I don't think we should go together, it might give us away as if we were going away somewhere together … which we are, but we don't want to make it obvious. You remember what Minerva said earlier today?"

"Yes … okay, I'll pop over there and get the parchment started." Harry backed away from Hermione and with a small twist and a faint pop he was gone.

"Ha … rry," She said as he disappeared, damn you leaving like that, now I'm going to be worried sick about you until you come back. Hermione started pacing back and forth in front of the sofa, a worried frown on her lips and her eyebrows furrowed in thought. Fawkes … I'll get Fawkes to take me to Arthur's office, she thought and concentrated on Fawkes to bring the red and gold bird to her. Less than a minute later she flashed into Arthur Weasley's private office inside the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects. Fortunately only Arthur was in his office at the time.

No one was supposed to be able to apparate into the Ministry except for a room at the end of the Atrium that was provided for apparition in and out. Arthur, startled as he was, had his wand out in a wink, and a dull red stunner left its tip a moment later, before he realized that his visitor was Hermione. Hermione, expecting Arthur to be startled, threw up a strong shield charm as she arrived, which was a good plan as it was hit with Arthur's stunner a blink later. "Hello Mr. Weasley, I thought we were on better terms than that?" Hermione said in a cheeky, questioning voice.

"S … s … sorry Hermione, you scared me half to death, I thought we were being overrun by Death Eaters or something, give an old man's heart a minute to regroup." Stammered Mr. Weasley. It finally dawned on him that she didn't have her wand out … he decided not to say anything about that.

There was a quick knock on Arthur's door before it opened. Hermione moved behind the open door as she put her fingers to her lips, hoping Arthur wouldn't give her away. Alastor Gumboil stepped over the threshold before speaking. "Arthur … we have Harry Potter out here … he is quite upset that he can't get a passport by the end of next week. The girl at the Muggle Relations desk told him it takes four to six weeks to get a passport to travel internationally on Muggle modes of transportation because it has to be processed through the Muggle computer system before it will become valid."

Arthur asked, "Is there anything we can do to shorten the process Alastor?"

"If we try to 'fast track' it we might have it in three weeks, but it's risky, if it lands on the wrong desk it will be rejected, we only have a few witches in the English Passport Office and it has to make its way to their desks for the critical approvals and computer entries." Responded Alastor.

"Alright Alastor, please send Harry in here and I'll see what I can do. Thank you for trying."

Arthur could see the most disappointed look on Hermione's face, and tried to cheer her up. "I have an idea Hermione … it just might work." A moment later Alastor opened the door again and Harry walked in, surprised to find Mr. Weasley behind a desk … and Hermione standing behind the door as he closed it. She had a smile on her face and hope in her eyes.

"Harry … good to see you again so soon." Arthur said as he stood to shake Harry's hand. Alastor was just closing the office door. After the door clicked shut, Hermione drew her wand, pointed it more or less at the door and though there was no magical emission from the wand, they all heard the door lock click and clunk. No second year was going to get through that locked door short of blowing a hole in the wall, then she cast a silencing charm, for which she actually used her wand.

"Mr. Weasley … a pleasant surprise in an otherwise dismal day," Harry responded. Without looking at Hermione he said, "Hello dear, I knew you were nearby. Did you give Mr. Weasley a shock?"

Hermione, with Fawkes still on her shoulder was about to respond when Arthur interrupted, "Harry, I've heard that Ragnok can do some very amazing things … when he wants to. I take it you two are also leaving soon." Harry and Hermione both nodded their heads to indicate yes.

"We're leaving a week Saturday for Belize." Answered Hermione. Harry looked at her in surprise, not knowing where Belize was, but fairly certain it wasn't in the Mediterranean area where he was expecting to go.

"Take the forms and photos over to Gringotts, maybe Ragnok can get the Passport for you in time. Hurry now." Pleaded Arthur, "you haven't much time before Gringotts closes."

Hermione reached out and took Harry's hand, then they flashed away to Diagon Alley, near the bank, but out of sight. Fawkes was very good at finding secluded areas to apparate to. "Oops," said Hermione as she let go of Harry's hand and Fawkes flashed her back to Arthur's office. Mr.Weasley was trying every spell he could think of to open his office door … short of blowing a hole through it. Arthur stopped when he realized that Hermione was back. She pointed her finger at the door, made two quick jerks and a twist with the finger and the door swung open, then she and Fawkes flashed back to Harry.

Arthur left his office with a confused look on his face, then he found Alastor Gumboil as he made his way to the Muggle Relations desk. He asked Alastor to check his office door and try to determine what spell Harry used to lock it. Arthur didn't want to mention that Hermione was there as no one had seen her either come or go. He thought, I'll have to tell Eric in Security that I let Harry out the back way so they don't spend all night searching for him.

- - - - - - - -

In Ragnok's office

They spent about fifteen minutes explaining everything to Ragnok while he asked questions and nodded his head at their answers. "It will take some galleons to grease the wheels of the Muggle government. These things can be done faster if you do them offshore and I know just the fellow to handle this matter. You should have your Passport by Thursday … Friday at the latest. The last one I arranged cost about two thousand galleons, I trust that will be acceptable."

"Certainly," said Harry, "Take it from my Trust Vault."

"Would you like to have the Passport under the title of Lord Gryffindor instead of Harry James Potter? I could also arrange a Passport for Miss Granger under the title of Lady Gryffindor. Two Passports would only cost slightly more than yours alone." Suggested Ragnok in an attempt to increase his profit.

"With a couple of small glamour charms, no one would even know we left the country Harry," said Hermione, the thought of them being Lord and Lady Gryffindor, if only for a couple of weeks intrigued her sense of adventure.

"Whatever my good Lady wishes." Harry said, trying to think what her parents would say and trying to stifle his laughter at the same time. The secrecy was a serious consideration, but he thought the name of Gryffindor would catch the eye of any Death Eater and them trying to pass themselves off as a Lord and Lady would bring its own notoriety. If only he had the time to grow his hair longer … changing the colour is easy enough with a charm.

"Central America and the Caribbean have many different currencies, we have some offices over there, but the magical population seems to prefer using local currencies instead of the Wizard gold we use here. Might I suggest a Muggle credit card for each of you?" Asked Ragnok. "The cards should be in the same names as the Passports.

"That sounds marvellous Harry," Hermione said as she looked at Harry with a gleam in her eyes. "Will the credit card work in Muggle shops in England too."

"Yes of course and you can make cash withdrawals from almost any bank or bank machine around the world." Ragnok snapped his fingers and several Muggle looking documents appeared on his desk. A quill magically started filling in the mundane information and as soon as it was done Ragnok handed two pages each to the teens along with a quill each. The two kids signed all the indicated places and returned the forms to Ragnok.

Ragnok snapped his fingers and the documents disappeared, he snapped again and two Bank of England Visa Debit Cards appeared. As he handed a card to each teen he said, "The funds will come out of Lord Gryffindor's Vault, do not loose the cards or try to magically modify them. They will stand up to apparition as well as normal everyday spells and charms, but if you get into a magical fight with the cards on your person, they'll have to be replaced. Any Bank of England or Gringotts office can handle the replacement. If there is nothing else, thank you and I will owl you the Passports as soon as they arrive here."

"The last time we were here, we were told there were some restrictions to using the Gryffindor gold, yet these credit cards are tied to that vault. What are the restrictions that we have to abide by?" asked Hermione.

"Large or repeated expenditures such as donations or investing in a business or property must meet a set of guidelines. The amount that you two are likely to spend on a vacation would not be an issue unless you tried to buy a yacht or hotel."

As soon as the pair were outside the main doors of Gringotts, Fawkes flashed them back home. Once in the house Harry asked Fawkes to thank Arthur and let him know that everything worked out perfectly. The teens then made their way to the living room sofa where Harry brought up the topic of their holiday destination. Hermione explained that her parents usually kept their destination a secret so that she wouldn't be able to read up on everything before she was about to leave. Hermione had spotted her dad's diving manuals and a list of dive sites from which she had been able to suss out their destination.

Hermione was still sitting sideways on Harry's lap, with one arm around his neck, on the sofa, in the Grangers living room, when Dan and Emma returned home from their Dental Practice that evening. The longer two of Harry's three legs had long since gone to sleep, however, Hermione was keeping the middle one at attention with a sly smile and an occasional wiggle. Harry had rested one hand in her lap, his fingers interlaced with hers, his other hand had long ago found its way under her top and around her waist.

After rummaging in the kitchen for a few minutes, Dan and Emma made their way to the sofa in the living room and sat on either side of the teens. Her parents waited and watched the kids in silence for several long minutes before Hermione finally caved in.

"Did you find out enough from Arthur or would you like to hear our version?" Asked Hermione. "I haven't told you everything over the years because I was afraid you wouldn't let me continue school at Hogwarts if you knew what was happening. I knew I had to be there for Harry … I couldn't take the chance."

"Believe it or not, we were told about most of your adventures by your head of house, she seemed quite proud of the three of you and thought we should know. Professor McGonagall's notes to us started with the Troll, that first Halloween." Said Emma, "That scared us more than you'll ever know … when she told us of the two boys that saved your life and how the three of you became such good friends, we knew that you belonged there. Pulling you out to return to public school would only make you friendless and miserable. We never said anything, hoping you would tell us eventually, yet realizing why you didn't."

"Harry," said Dan "Professor McGonagall had only kind words and great expectations for both of you … and Ron. Your Headmaster visited us last year, we had an amazing discussion about you two and the possibilities he envisioned for your future. He was quite a character." The apprehensive looks on the teens' faces, gradually, over the course of the Granger's revelation turned into almost happy faces. "We also realize the danger that we are all in, your Headmaster told us that we should trust your judgement and that while he didn't have enough people to keep an eye on our safety all the time, he would do his best to keep us safe."

"It was quite shocking when we were told that the three of you were the best chance the world had of destroying this Voldemort person. That is a lot of faith to put into three young people."

"Six," said Harry, "It seems that Hermione and I owe you at lot for going along with all of this and not being scared out of your wits."

"We still are scared out of our wits, every time an owl shows up, other than Hedwig, your Mother freezes and I have to remove the note and read it." Said Dan. Hermione winced at the thought of what she would be feeling in her Mother's place and then she remembered.

"For the holiday that I'm not supposed to know about," Hermione paused for effect, "Will it matter if Harry's Passport is in the name of Lord Gryffindor?"

Dan and Emma looked at each other, the look on their faces appeared to say 'What Now'. Dan spoke up first, "Yes it could make a difference, I'll have to talk to the travel agent in the morning, I have to finish paying for the tickets anyway. The ticket was reserved in the name of Harry Potter. Do you have any other surprises pumpkin?"

"Only one other surprise Daddy, my new Passport is in the name of Lady Gryffindor." Emma's mouth dropped and her eyes bulged out reminding Harry of Luna's protuberant orbs. Dan simply shook his head from side to side, as if expecting nothing less from his daughter.

"And young lady, just when did you become Lady … whatsit … I mean Gryffindor?" muttered Dan.