Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

Thanks go to my Beta, Sharday for her most excellent corrections and suggestions.

(7) Diagon Alley

"Thanks Ron, we'll see you soon." Harry said, "Can we use the floo?"

"Yes, Mrs. Weasley said it was okay." replied Hermione. Ron and Hermione got up and the trio went to the fireplace. Harry and Hermione took some floo powder and one at a time, tossed it in the fireplace, stepped into the fire, and said, "Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes". When they popped out of the floo seconds later at the joke shop, they greeted the twins and told George they would be back soon. As soon as they left Fred and George's they started to talk.

"Ron asked me if there was any hope of him dating me again … I had to tell him no, and he accepted it. Then he asked about you and me, he said he noticed us appearing too happy at Kings Cross."

"It certainly was a better end to the day than how it began." Harry said.

"Yes … the interesting part that followed was that he seems to be getting along with Luna and he had asked Neville to get friendly with Ginny."

"I know Neville likes Ginny, but I think he was a little scared of Ron and me, so he didn't want to get too friendly."

"And Ginny said a few times that Luna liked Ron, but Ron never paid her much attention. Ron always acted like Luna was crazy."

"I was asked not to say anything, and Luna should tell Ron herself, I think, but did you ever wonder why Luna can see Thestrals?"

"Oh Merlin, now that you mention it, Luna didn't have any trouble with the Thestrals when we went to the Ministry that night did she?"

"No, she's been able to see them since she was nine. Luna saw her Mother die from a spell she was experimenting with, or so I was told", said Harry.

"Poor girl, anybody has a right to be a little strange after something like that. Speaking of strange … Ginny told me that Luna was very good at Divination. She got the only Outstanding OWL in the subject for the last 4 or 5 years."

"I wonder if Ron knows what he's getting into?"

They went to Gringotts hand in hand, Hermione stole a few quick glances over at Harry, but he didn't look back. It was as if Harry didn't realize they were holding hands.

Harry hadn't seen his vault since the summer before Sirius died, he had no idea how much gold he had left. He remembered Dumbledore said that Sirius had left him a 'reasonable amount of gold', however, he had no idea what that meant. He prayed it would be enough to hold out until he was able to kill Voldemort.

After entering Gringotts, they walked up the aisle, along the counter until they found an available Goblin. The Goblin was writing something in a ledger and only looked up when they were in front of him.

"Hello I'm …" and that's as far as Harry got.

"Mr. Potter, how nice to see you again, one of the Bank executives wishes to talk to you, I'll see if he's free, one minute please", said the Goblin as he left.

"Oh Merlin, I wonder if I'm overdrawn?" Harry said.

"Really?", said Hermione, "Do you have any idea how much was left in there the last time you took any out?"

"I haven't seen the vault for almost two years, last year Bill got me some money and brought it to The Burrow; I would have thought he'd tell me if I was low on money … maybe he didn't know."

Two Goblins returned, "Mr. Potter, this is Griphook, he will take you to Ragnok if that's alright with you?"

"Very nice to see you again Mr. Potter, and your companion would be?" said Griphook.

"This is Hermione Granger, is it alright if she comes too?"

"Certainly, she is also expected, follow me please", and they followed Griphook across the floor and down several corridors to a very elaborate office. Griphook knocked on the door before opening it. "Sir, this is Harry Potter and Hermione Granger", he said to Ragnok, and then said "enter please and be seated", to the two teens.

"Greetings Mr. Potter, Miss Granger."

"Call me Harry, please sir."

"Harry … It is perhaps a bit early, but there are a few things you need to know. Albus Dumbledore has been looking after your finances and properties here until recently."

"I'm not overdrawn am I?"

"Heavens no Mr. Po … Harry, money is the least of your worries, unless, figuring out what to do with it all is a problem."

"Okay, lots of money, not a problem, and you wanted to see me about?"

"On your seventeenth birthday … not long from now … you will come into your full inheritance from your parents and Professor Dumbledore's estate. You already have the gold and property from Sirius Black, however, there is more from the Black estate that is being held up by the Wizengamot due to the current status of the two sisters of the Black family, Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy."

"How much do I have access to, at this time?", asked Harry.

"Do you want me to say in front of your companion?"

Harry looked at Hermione and said, "I don't have any secrets from Hermione."

"Well … ", Ragnok paused as he checked the ledger in front of him, "relatively speaking a small amount … a little under half a million galleons in your trust vault as well as two properties. Number 12 Grimmauld Place and Number 4 Privet Drive."

The teens sat there in shock for a minute until Ragnok said, "I take it that was a little more than you expected."

"I own Number 4 Privet Drive?" Harry said still in shock.

"Yes, it was being managed by Dumbledore, I think he was letting your relatives live there rent free in exchange for looking after you", said Ragnok.

"I think it's time to start charging them rent!"

"Harry, take it easy, we'll figure something out, I have a few ideas."

"Can I have some sort of paperwork that tells me what I have and what I will be getting when I turn seventeen Sir?"

"Certainly Mr. Potter, and there's no need to call me Sir … though I do appreciate it, you'll find that most wizards look down on anyone that's not entirely human.

"Yes … and many so called pure blood wizards look down on half blood and muggle born witches and wizards.

"I think I'm going to like you, your thinking is similar to Dumbledore's", said Ragnok, then he shouted, "Griphook!"

"Yes, sir", said Griphook as he entered the office.

"Make a copy of these balance sheets and the itemized inventory listings for me please", said Ragnok as he handed Griphook the large file folder he was holding.

"Miss Granger, I have heard good things about you also. Your intentions to free House Elves and your S.P.E.W. organization have impressed me. Not that I believe that most House Elves would make use of the freedom you envision, but better living and working conditions as well as some respect would go a long way to making them happier. There are many ways I can make life a little easier for those I like and I would like both of you to feel free to ask favors of me from time to time. Now I expect you came in here to get some gold from your vault, is that right?"

"Yes, sir, we did, and some Muggle money too, but I need to rethink the amount, could we have a few minutes to discuss this", Harry said indicating that 'we' meant Hermione and him.

"Yes, of course, use my office, I have a few things to do that won't take too long. Ah, here's Griphook with your papers", and he turned to Griphook, taking the loose papers and the file folder. Ragnok passed the loose papers to Harry and asked, "Griphook, would you get our guests some tea and biscuits, thank you. Harry, the top page is your trust vault and the rest I'll explain to you when I return", and he left the two teens alone in the office.

Griphook came in moments later with the refreshments and goodies.

"Thank you", said Hermione as the Goblin left. They re-arranged their chairs and Hermione conjured a small table between them as Harry poured two drinks and brought them over. "There is a lot of gold in your vault, I mean; you said your parents left you some gold for school."

"Dumbledore said that Sirius' will added a 'reasonable amount' of gold to it. At that time I wasn't concerned with that or Dumbledore's definition of 'reasonable'.

"Maybe the balance sheets will tell us, we can look at them later, what did you want to talk over?"

"I was thinking that I could help Remus and the Weasleys with some of that gold, from the sound of it, that vault is a small amount compared to the total that I'll have in a month. Even then there is still enough in there to last for several years."

"That's very generous of you, but I don't think they'll take it willingly."

"I know the Weasleys have a vault here, but I don't know if Remus or Tonks have one?"

"No idea", said Hermione, "Why, were you going to transfer it directly to their accounts?"

"That was the idea … Ragnok will know", said Harry, "I was thinking of giving the Weasleys a quarter and Remus a quarter and then add your name to my vault."

"Your vault … my name on your vault", said Hermione as it dawned on her what Harry was intending, "You can't do that!"

"Your going to be stubborn just like the others are you?"

"I'm not stubborn; I just don't need your money."

"You'd rather the Dursley's get it if I die?"

"No … of course not, but …"

"Done then!" said Harry."

She launched herself at Harry and they wrapped each other up with their arms. Hermione pulled back slightly to look him in the eyes and said, "Put my parents names on there as well, because if you die, I'll probably be dead too."

"Hmmmm … very likely we'll all be together doing something, you're right, and Ron too."

"Don't start talking like that, we'll all be fine, we'll all have to get out of this alive."

"I have every reason to want both of us to survive this fight. I'm going to count on you to keep the three us from doing anything stupid, and I promise to listen to you from now on, unlike the Department of Mysteries … deal?"

Ragnok knocked, the teens split apart and straightened themselves out before Ragnok entered the office. "Have you had time to sort out what you want to do?"

"Yes, I think so", said Harry, and he proceeded to place a quarter of the contents of his school vault into the vault of Nymphadora Tonks. Remus couldn't get a vault because of his 'furry problem'. Another quarter went into the Weasley's vault. Then he added Hermione and her parent's names to his vault.

"I will need to see you on or soon after your birthday to sign some papers so the other vaults and property can be transferred to your name", said Ragnok.

"Now, finally some money, I'd like to get one thousand galleons and five thousand pounds."

"That amount of gold is going to be heavy, I'll give you one of our special moneybags, it will all fit in your pocket and weigh little more than the bag. Do you want to go down to your vault or should I send Griphook?"

"Hermione, have you ever ridden a roller coaster?"

"Yyess", she said tentatively, "why?"

"That's what the ride down to the vault is like … if you want to go then I'll go too?"

"That's okay, I think I'd prefer not to go this time. We can use the time to go over the rest of the ledgers."

Ragnok sent Griphook to the vault with Harry's key, and the teens discussed the other ledgers and inventory sheets, asking questions of Ragnok from time to time.

"Curiosity has the better of me", Harry said, "how does all this compare with other wizards' wealth?"

"Well … The Potters, Blacks and Malfoys vaults are roughly equal. If you get the full settlement of the Black estate and I expect you will, you will then have almost double the wealth of the Malfoys. The Dumbledore estate is our largest and is considerably larger. You will get the bulk of it in his will. Ronald Weasley and Miss Granger here as well as a few others will get some of it too."

"Can you put a value to the Potter estate?"

"Page two will give you the vault balance and when you add in the properties and other items … roughly fifty million galleons. With proper management you and your descendants will never have to work."

Both Hermione and Harry were having trouble with all the numbers at this point and Ragnok thought he should leave them alone for a few minutes so he said, "I'll be back in a couple of minutes", then left again.

"Harry, did you have any idea there was that much in here?"

"Hermione, all I knew about was the vault for school and what Dumbledore said about Sirius' will. The last time I saw the vault was the summer before Sirius died, it looked like it was shrinking fast, I didn't know if it would be enough for seventh year."

Ragnok returned with Griphook and handed Harry a small money bag that looked about the same size as the one he had used for the last six years. Harry opened it and put his hand in further … and further … soon he was up to his elbow before he touched a galleon. He reached around some more and found a bundle if paper currency that must be pounds. I do love magic he thought as he remembered the tent they stayed in at the World Cup and then the trunks he and Hermione enlarged yesterday.

"Thank you", Harry and Hermione said to Ragnok and Griphook.

"Is there anything else I can or need to do while I'm here", asked Harry

"Yes there is, I hesitate to suggest this as I have the utmost confidence in you, but you should consider a will with a long list of names."

"See me as soon as you can once you turn seventeen and we'll get everything into your name. Thank you for stopping in and have a good day."

The teens left the office with something to think about and Griphook closed the door. Mr. Potter is as we have heard, modest and unassuming, it's hard to believe that everything rests on his shoulders", said Griphook.

As they were walking out of the bank Harry asked, "Are there any stops you want to make?"

"I have an idea for a couple of books to find, so Flourish and Blotts I suppose."

"Once we get to number 4 and drop off our stuff, we should go out and get some food to bring back so we don't have to starve while we're there", said Harry as they headed for the book store. We'll have to sort out your accommodations, and I expect there'll be a large explosion from Uncle Vernon about me opening his house up as a hotel for a bunch of freaks."

"You haven't told him then?"

"For some reason it never came up in the conversation. We never had much of a conversation until he realized I had done some magic. He started shouting that I'd be kicked out of the freak school, that's when I told him it probably wouldn't be open next year anyway so I didn't really care. That shut him up and he left … they all left for a show and supper. They left me with a dry old sandwich and water. Hopefully I put some fear in him. I went downstairs after they left and found some more food. I was eating when you sent Fawkes back."

"Oh Harry, that's terrible."

"What, that I was eating?"

"No silly, that they only left you with a sandwich."

"If I hadn't locked my own door, they would have done that too. Without Fawkes or wandless magic I'd still be stuck in that room."

"It makes my blood boil to think that they have been treating you that way and getting away with it."

"Now … a bedroom for me … what are my options?"

"There is a guest room, well, it's always referred to as Aunt Marge's room. She's the only one I've ever known to stay in there. It's about the same size as the room I stayed in at your parent's home and it's got a large bed. Two other options are the living room couch or stay in my room."

"Your room?" she queried, "With, or without you in it?"

"Your choice I suppose", he said quietly and she hit him on the arm with her fist.

"Ow", she said shaking her hand.

"What books are you looking for?" Harry said as they walked into Flourish and Blotts.

"I'm looking for wandless magic as well as Occlumency and Legilimency and if we happen to find something on horcruxes or the four founders that's useful, we could get that as well."

"Alright, you look for wandless magic and horcruxes, I'll look for the rest." They split up.

Hermione found 'Introduction to Wandless Magic' quite quickly, but finding anything on Dark Magic was near impossible. It looked like all the books on Dark Magic had been removed from the shelves and she didn't want to ask the sales person. Harry was having more luck, 'The Beginners Guide to Occlumency and Legilimency' didn't take too long to find and he found books titled 'The Life and Times of Rowena Ravenclaw' and one on Godric Gryffindor, both of which had a lot of drawings and pictures.

They paid for the books, Hermione shrunk them and Harry put them in his pocket before they left the shop and they headed to the Leaky Cauldron.

Hermione tapped on the bricks to open the passage to the pub and they entered through the back room. Tom, the barman, said, "Hello Harry, I haven't seen you in ages."

Harry said, "Hi Tom, it's nice to see you're still here. Can we have a couple of butterbeers?"

"Looks like business is slow, or is it always this way now?", said Harry.

"It's always like this now, most people are scared to go out and when they do, they don't stop for food or a drink. They do their shopping and go straight home."

"It's all Voldemort's fault", said Harry angrily.

Tom cringed, "Don't say his name!"

"Why … Dumbledore used his name. I've met him … and I've fought him and I'm not scared of his name."

"You kids enjoy the butterbeers, they're on the house", said Tom as Harry dropped two galleons on the counter. They found a table in the far corner.

"I have an idea and I don't know if it makes practical sense. If I rent a room here we would have a place that we could come and go from without creating suspicion. We would have access to Diagon Alley and London and someplace to stay or store stuff if we want to. Otherwise, from your house or mine we have to travel through Hogwarts, The Burrow or Fred and Georges shop. I'd prefer the Weasleys didn't see us together too much for now or know about Fawkes, which suggests the need for a Weasley free apparition point, at least for the next few weeks."

Hermione thought about the idea for a moment and replied, "If Tom or anyone sees us going up and down only once every few days, they're going to wonder what we're doing in there for the rest of the time. How often do you think we're really going to need it in the next few weeks? I probably could have found these books in the Hogwarts Library, though I'd prefer to own them."

"I knew there was something wrong with that idea. Any suggestions on giving your parents their vault keys or how to tell the Weasleys and Remus of their bonus?"

"We can do that tomorrow on our way back to Oxford."

"Is that where we were?"

"Yes, oh … I guess I never told you, did I?"

"I believe you omitted that detail."

"It didn't stop you from getting there", she snickered.

"After the butterbeers are we off to Privet Drive?"

"Yes, but two things to sort out first so we don't look like idiots in front of your Aunt and Uncle. First, which rooms?"

"If you take my room, that shouldn't create a problem. If there's trouble about me using Aunt Marge's room then it'll be my problem to deal with."

"I'll help you deal with it."

"I know", said Harry.

"We should go", and they walked hand in hand back to Diagon Alley. They separated before they were in sight of the twins shop and entered with Hermione in the lead. "Fred", said Hermione, "Can we use your back room to apparate from?"