Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

(22) The Tour

They were sleeping until Dobby woke them up in time to get ready for breakfast with the others. They showered together again, but didn't have the luxury of time to get carried away as they did the previous morning. Even then they were the last pair to arrive at The Gryffindor Common Room. When Dobby saw them arrive he snapped his fingers and breakfast appeared. During breakfast they suffered some chiding about sleeping in and endured it in good fun. Neville was looking much improved this morning even though he and Ginny still had silly grins on their faces. Ron had noticed them too and decided he should mind his manners, keep Luna happy and not feel so protective about Ginny. After all, Neville was a good guy, and so long as no one was getting hurt, he should be happy for them.

Once breakfast was over Harry said, "I think we got a lot accomplished in the last two days, I expected we'd only be half way through by now. The next time we meet, we should have a horcrux to destroy and I'd like us to tackle Legilimency and Occlumency if no one has any objections." He waited a few moments and no one spoke, so he carried on, "Hermione and I have learned some Legilimency, however, we've had no luck with Occlumency. We seem to have an open link with each others feelings, and there was a passage in the book that we read to indicate the link will not allow us to close our minds to each other, so we need you to practice with.

Everyone agreed with the plan and Ginny asked when the next meeting would be.

"Hermione wants to spend some time with her parents this summer, as I'm sure, do most of you. I suggest we leave weekends as family time and for the next few weeks I'm stuck at Privet Drive part of Mondays and Tuesdays. We can't use magic there at all, but if we needed to meet for some other reason, we could. That leaves Tuesday afternoons to Friday available to come out here and practice magic together, research and try to figure out where the last of the horcruxes are. If we meet at The Burrow on Wednesday Mornings, was ten o'clock too early … is eleven better?"

They all agreed to eleven at The Burrow on Wednesday and Harry reminded them that they still needed to get or find the locket, the cup, Nagini, Tom's snake, and find something of Gryffindor's or Ravenclaw's.

"Hermione is going to get her parents and I'm going home for a few minutes. We should be back around ten or shortly after." Said Harry. "We can always contact each other with the rings and don't forget that Professor McGonagall has a ring too, so keep the love notes to a minimum. Luna, can I steal Ron for a little while … we'll be back soon?"

"Sure … I'm going to the Library." Said Luna.

"Neville and I will come with you." Said Ginny. And the three left together.

"What did you have in mind Harry?"

"I thought you might want to get out of here for a little while Ron." Replied Harry. "Do you want me to bring back the Map dear?" He asked Hermione.

"That might be useful, I'd like to find out if it shows anything behind Rowena's portrait. We have a little time before I said I'd pick up my parents, I can drop you off if you like."

"Ron this'll be the first time she's apparated anyone else with her as a Phoenix, I'll go … do you want to come along?"

"If anyone can do it, she can." Said Ron. "Let's go."

Hermione's confidence flared as she transformed and landed on Ron's shoulder, then Harry took Ron's hand and in a flash of white flame they were gone. Hermione landed them in the back yard of number four Privet Drive, and after the boys checked themselves over they congratulated Hermione on a perfect multiple apparition. She shuffled over to Harry's shoulder and they went inside to the kitchen to talk to his aunt.

After the initial greetings and properly introducing Ron, Harry told his aunt that he and Hermione would be back on Monday before noon and would probably be leaving again on Tuesday afternoon. They headed upstairs to the room Hermione was using, Harry unlocked the door and the three of them went in. Hermione jumped and flew off Harry's shoulder, onto a chair changing back to herself. Harry searched through his trunk and found The Marauders Map in one end about half way down. He pocketed it and closed the trunk after throwing everything back in that he had tossed on the floor. Hermione scolded him for not putting his things away neatly and he promised to do it tomorrow as they were pushed for time, they were supposed to be at her parents soon. They came downstairs, and through the living room where Uncle Vernon and Dudley were watching wrestling on the tele. Vernon looked at them curiously, but didn't say a word. He was sure that only two boys went upstairs and now she was with them, his girlfriend, the tramp. Hermione made eye contact with Vernon and Vernon immediately turned to face the tele and pretended to watch the show while the trio made their way into the kitchen. Now it was Petunia's turn to be surprised, but she remembered the cat lady from earlier in the week and asked Hermione, "Were you that lovely white bird earlier?"

Hermione answered, "Yes." Then said. "Ron and Harry can now change into animals as well, we learned over the last few days. Ron is a cute little terrier and Harry is a rather large snake, would you like to see?"

"I'm not sure if I want to see a large snake, but sure … go ahead as long as it doesn't make enough noise to bring Vernon in here." She said quietly.

"No barking Ron." Said Hermione. As they both changed into their animal forms. Harry moved to the side feeling more concealed from people entering the kitchen. At that moment Dudley came into the kitchen looking for more snacks. Hermione tried to motion for Dudley to stay clear of Ron, but he wanted to pick up the little dog. Harry slipped out from around the corner, Dudley still hadn't seen him. When Dudley leaned his great bulk over to reach for the dog, Harry put his snake face in front of Dudley's face and stuck out his tongue. Dudley jumped back about four feet and promptly fell over backwards. Petunia rushed over to him as Harry and Ron changed back to themselves. Hermione said, "We're sorry Mrs. Dursley, we'd better go quickly." Hermione surreptitiously obliviated the last minute of Dudley's memory before she changed back to a Phoenix and flew up to Harry's shoulder. Dudley, in a very confused state of mind, finally got up. Before Dudley turned to look, Hermione apparated the boys to her parents home, this time arriving in the back yard.

After she changed back to herself, she led the boys in through the back door and found Emma and Dan in the living room. After introducing Ron, she asked her parents if there was anything they wanted to bring with them. When they were ready she had them hold hands in a circle as she changed and flew up onto Harry's shoulder. In a large white flash, they were at the gates of Hogwarts. Hermione brought them just outside the gates to make sure they could see the castle and so they could have a view of the grounds and castle from the outside. When they were approaching the main doors the trio's rings warmed indicating a message. They watched their rings and found a message from McGonagall saying she had the golden locket.

"Yes!" screamed Harry. Dan and Emma watched the three teens looking at each other with grins on their faces. Harry pulled out his map and opened it up as they entered the castle and said' "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good." The parents watched in amazement as the map began to fill in. Molly and Remus were with McGonagall in her office. Neville, Luna and Ginny suddenly appeared in the Restricted Section and ran through Library.

Ron knew Harry and Hermione wanted to go, but her parents knew nothing about the horcruxes, after a moments hesitation he said, "Hermione, you and Harry need to see the Headmistress right now, I'll show your parents around this area then we'll go to the dungeons if you haven't returned."

They looked at her parents for a moment until Dan and Emma nodded okay. They left Ron to show her parents around. Hermione thanked Ron and Harry nodded to him as they ran off.

Ron, Dan and Emma walked around the Entrance Hall, saw the hour glasses that kept track of the house points, watched a staircase change, toured the Great Hall and some of its adjoining rooms. Dan asked Ron if he or Harry could change into an animal, Ron said they could and that Harry was a big snake and that they shouldn't say too much about it to anyone else before he transformed into a Jack Russell Terrier with a slightly red tinge to the fur on top of his head. He then led them out of the Great Hall and into Firenze's classroom that was nearby before changing back to himself. Ron introduced Dan and Emma to Firenze and they talked for a while. The conversation grew a little one sided fairly quickly as Firenze didn't want to talk much about anything closer to home than Mars or Jupiter, but he was pleasant and the Grangers had never seen a Centaur before so it was all new to them. When they returned to the Entrance Hall they saw two ghosts chasing Peeves through it before Peeves changed direction and went straight up through the ceiling.

Ron said, "I was expecting that Hermione would be back by now, or Harry … let's head down to the dungeons. We can see the potions classroom and the dungeon where Nearly Headless Nick celebrated his 500th Death Day Party." Following that statement Ron had to explain that a Death Day Party was like a Birthday Party except celebrating the day you died. "If we're really unlucky we'll run into Mr. Filch the caretaker." He said.

<><><><><><><><>

Harry and Hermione raced to the Headmistress office getting there slightly ahead of the three from the Library. Harry spoke the password and the gargoyles opened revealing the spiral staircase. They jumped on just as it started to rise and were at McGonagall's open office door in seconds. When they went inside they found Molly and Remus talking to Minerva and seconds later Mad-Eye Moody and Arthur came through the Floo. Nobody except Minerva and the six teens knew exactly what the locket was, not even Molly and Remus, though Remus could sense it contained dark magic. Molly had floo called Arthur from Grimmauld Place when she and Remus had found the locket and told him they were going to Hogwarts to give it to McGonagall. Moody had been in Arthur's office at the time. When Moody's glass eye found the locket it fixed on it and followed it from hand to hand as it was passed along and examined.

Hermione could see Moody's expression as soon as he recognized the dark magic and knew Harry would need some authority. She slipped out of sight, changed into her White Phoenix and waited for the right moment. Surprisingly Moody's attention and that of his eye were solely on the locket and hadn't spotted Hermione hiding behind a bookcase. The locket finally made its way to Alastor and he examined it closely declaring it to posses some incredibly dark magic that he didn't immediately recognize. When Minerva asked for it back Alastor suggested that he should keep it as he felt he had the best chance of discovering what magic it possessed.

Not willing to wait for arguments and counter arguments to drag on Hermione apparated her White Phoenix form from behind the bookcase, into the middle of the room near the ceiling in a bright white flash. The 'flash in' in the middle of the room masked the 'flash out' from behind the bookcase and as both were nearly silent, no one realized from where the White Phoenix had come. Hermione flew down and scooped the locket from Mad-Eye's hand, then landed on Harry's shoulder and placed it in his waiting hand before glaring back at Moody. Harry had noticed that Alastor had started drawing his wand when he saw the flash of white light. Harry's immediate reaction was to protect Hermione and while reaching his hand out he did a wandless disarming spell followed by a summoning charm and had Moody's wand in his outstretched hand almost before Hermione had the locket in her beak. By the time Hermione landed on Harry's shoulder everyone was looking at Harry, amazed that he could disarm Alastor Moody so easily. Truth be told, Harry felt that a certain amount of it was luck and surprise. Harry had noticed that Hermione slipped away and half expected her White Phoenix form to appear. Everyone eventually settled down from both the snatching of the locket and the appearance of the White Phoenix. Until now only the teens, Minerva, Argus and Irma were aware of a new Phoenix, but Minerva had told the senior Order members at their last meeting a few days ago that a White Phoenix, when it appeared, would be or select their new leader. The white Phoenix jumped off Harry's shoulder and returned to being Hermione as her feet touched the floor.

"Wandless … impressive." Said Alastor as Harry levitated the wand back to him. "Do I understand that you two are now in charge of the Order?"

"Well … I think that was what Albus' idea was although he suggested that someone else should take charge of the day to day operation because he gave me … us … a project to complete before Voldemort can finally be defeated." Said Harry. "This locket is a small part of that project."

"It's really Harry's choice," Said Hermione, "but, who here would be willing to take over the day to day operations?"

Molly, Alastor, Remus, Arthur and Minerva looked at each other for a moment before looking back at Harry and Hermione. All five at once started to speak, then realizing they were all speaking, they stopped. Minerva held up her hand, "My office," she said. "First, since it seems we are all going to be working together, I suggest we all use first names until school is in session then we revert back to normal when other students are present." She paused for a second and there was no challenge to the suggestion. Then she continued, "Second, I will be in need of a 'Defence Against the Dark Arts' teacher as well as a full or part time Transfiguration teacher. Do I hear any volunteers?"

There were some low voices between the adults as a group and some quiet discussion amongst the teens. Harry and Hermione put their hands up as Remus cleared his throat and Alastor thumped his wooden leg for attention.

Silence reigned before Minerva spoke. "Molly … you were very good at Transfiguration and Charms if I remember correctly. Would you be interested in teaching Transfiguration to first through fourth year students while I keep the fifth through seventh years? "

Molly had a look of shock on her face as did Ginny, whose jaw dropped open. "Minerva, you can't be serious, it's been so long since I've done any of that?"

"Take a look at the first through fourth year books. For the most part it is frustrating watching them try, and then satisfying when they succeed. You can floo here in the morning for classes and Arthur can join us for meals and then return home after. You and Arthur discuss it and let me know."

"Arthur, I know I have no say in it, but I'd just as soon you stayed with the Ministry. Alastor, Remus, are either of you interested in teaching Defence … I hesitate to use the word 'again' in your case Alastor." Asked Minerva.

"Professor." Interrupted Harry. "Tom cursed that position so that no 'one person' could keep it for a whole year. Is there some way we can keep the course, but change it to get past the curse?

"Perhaps if we split it into two parts," Said Hermione, "Theoretical Defence and Practical Defence, leave out the words 'Dark Arts', then have two or more teachers?"

"Who said there was a curse?" Asked Moody and Remus together.

"Albus mentioned a curse on the DADA teaching position, but I thought he was just saying that because we can't seem to keep teachers." Replied Minerva.

Harry said, "Albus showed me his memory of his conversation with Tom Riddle, in this very room, about the position of DADA teacher." As he pulled his wand and used it to extract his recollection of Dumbledore's memory and the conversations he and Albus had both before and after viewing the memory. Minerva provided a crystal vial for him to store the silver strand as Harry said, "If there is no longer a Pensieve here, Albus's old one is currently in our Common Room. Perhaps you should view the memory before making a decision. We … that is the six of us, would be willing to help in any way we can, perhaps an official DA study group or a Duelling Club, however, I think, at the moment we should rescue Ron from Hermione's parents."

"Yes, fine, but who's to lead The Order?" Asked Minerva.

"Once you solve your staffing, then let me know which of you is available and any suggestions you may have … we'll make the choice then." Said Hermione as the five students left the office.

<><><><><><><><>

Once they were past the Gargoyles and into the hallway Harry pulled out his map and activated it. It took only moments to find Ron, Dan and Emma in the dungeon that was the Potions classroom along with Horace Slughorn.

Upon arriving, they found her parents and Ron still in the Potions Classroom, Horace was having a fabulous time explaining one potion after another to the Grangers who were quite interested as most of them were for Madam Pomfrey in the Hospital Wing. The last two cauldrons had the beginnings of Amortentia and Felix Felicis in them. They were no where near done so there wasn't much to see there, but the explanation of them intrigued Dan and Emma immensely.

After introductions and agreeing to meet for lunch in the Great Hall, Ron and Luna left as did Ginny and Neville. Hermione took over as the tour guide while Harry talked to Professor Slughorn about the possibility of helping him tend the potions this summer. Harry also confessed that his better potions grade that year had been the result of the text book he had been loaned at the beginning of last year. He explained that the book had belonged to someone calling himself 'The Half Blood Prince' and Harry finally found out, after Hermione did some extensive research that Snape's mother had been a witch named Eileen Prince who married a muggle named Tobias Snape and thus Severus referred to himself as 'The Half Blood Prince'. He had thus been following Snape's personally modified instructions."

"Regardless of the instructions you were following, your potions turned out well and that's what counts." Slughorn complimented Harry. "I suppose you stopped using that text book near the end of the year that would explain the sudden change in your potion quality. Perhaps I should teach from that book, maybe everyone would have better results."

"There are some spells and hexes in that book that you would not want to share." Said Harry with a grimace. "I cut up Draco quite badly with a nasty spell I found in there." Harry left with a list of dates when Horace thought he could use some extra help for one reason or another and finally caught up with Hermione and her parents on the second floor in McGonagall's Transfiguration Classroom.

Before noon they had met several teachers and staff, at lunch they met most of the rest with the exception of Sibyll Trelawney, the Divination Teacher. Ginny they had seen several years before at Gringotts, but Luna and Neville were new faces. Once they were seated it became obvious to Emma that the other four students were also couples.

Right after lunch Neville and Ginny suggested they should pack up and leave for home, Luna grabbed Ron and concurred with that idea. Hermione volunteered to apparate them all home, but they decided to simply all go to The Burrow. Harry continued the tour, waiting for Hermione to return before venturing into Gryffindor Tower and the Room of Requirement. Following that Hermione took them to the top of the Astronomy Tower before winding up the Castle part of the tour by having tea with Professor Trelawney in the Divination Classroom. Of course Sybil had to predict Harry's death yet again which prompted queasy feelings in both Dan and Emma until they saw Harry's smile. After leaving Sybil, Hermione explained that Professor Trelawney had been predicting Harry's death ever since the first lesson they had six years ago and Harry hadn't died yet.

They finished by touring the castle grounds, Hermione apparated them to several of her favourite spots around the lake and castle, ending at the Quidditch Pitch. Harry opened the Broom Shed and brought out two brooms, handing one to Hermione. Harry asked Dan if he wanted to double up on a broom and have a quick flight around the Quidditch Pitch. Hermione still didn't like brooms so Harry took Dan for a fly around while a certain white Phoenix we all know, had her Mother hold on to her tail feathers while they flew near Harry and Dan.

Hermione was actually enjoying flying, as a Phoenix, she still didn't like brooms. After the flights she took her parents home while Harry went to see Minerva and find out if any decisions had been made. When Hermione returned, she and Harry packed up everything except the pensieve and James Potter's trunk. Harry had said their goodbyes to Minerva, Remus and Alastor. Molly and Arthur had already left, Molly had accepted the teaching position and Remus and Mad-Eye would share the Defence post that they ended up splitting as Hermione suggested. Of course it was all assuming that the Board of Governors would approve. 'Dumbledore's Army' would be a sanctioned group and the name will remain in his honour, with the trio in control, but under the supervision of the two new Defence teachers. Minerva volunteered to oversee the daily operations of The Order of the Phoenix so long as Harry would keep her updated on the teens progress with the horcruxes and anything else they got into. She in turn would keep Harry, Ron and Hermione updated on any of the Orders' activities and plans.

<><><><><><><><>

Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville were sitting in the Weasley kitchen talking about the memories they'd seen when Molly and Arthur floo'd in. Their conversation stopped abruptly and Ginny started the chant, 'Good afternoon Professor Weasley'. The other three picked it up instantly even though the teens didn't know for sure if Mrs. Weasley had accepted the post.

Arthur chuckled and Molly went slightly pink before saying, "I may not be YOUR teacher this coming year, but that doesn't mean I can't give you detentions."

The four teens all laughed, Molly and Arthur joined in the laughing a moment later.

<><><><><><><><>