Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

A/N:-) What was the last paragraph is now several paragraphs. This upgrade is courtesy of 'the scribbler'. The changes are in BOLD & underlined. And should be considered 'R' rated

Visit the scribbler's story at http://fanfiction.portkey.org/7215/1

(28a) The Toad Lady

Soon there were three soft pops just outside the wards beyond Mrs. Figg's house. By the cut of their robes it was apparent that two wizards and a witch appeared dressed in unmarked black cloaks with their hoods up so they couldn't be identified. They started walking towards number four as Arabella made a floo call to Minerva.

Meanwhile:

Gawain rustled up four Aurors that were available and started cursing because he couldn't find Dawlish and Savage who should have been in the ready room. The five apparated to the other end of Privet Drive outside the wards where they were joined moments later in a flash of white light, by Kingsley Shackelbolt, Minerva and four other Order members as well as a white Phoenix. Minerva had sent Fawkes to bring Harry and Hermione to Hogwarts, Fawkes was to make sure Harry remained at Hogwarts while Hermione flashed the six Order members to a place that just happened to be right beside Gawain and his Aurors.

Gawain had spotted the three cloaked figures at the other end of Privet Drive, making their way towards the house when he heard the faint pop. He turned around to find six order members including Mad-Eye Moody and a white Phoenix. "We have to get Tonks, her boyfriend and anyone else out of that house." Gawain told Mad-eye and Minerva. Immediately the white Phoenix flashed and was gone. Ten seconds later Tonks and Remus flashed in between Gawain and the Order members. Tonks announced that they were the only ones in the house.

One of the three cloaked figures separated and made to go around the house when Minerva suggested they all form a line quickly and the white Phoenix would flash them in right behind the Death Eaters to stun them before they knew what happened. While they were forming the line, two of the presumed Death Eaters started blasting away at the front door with hexes, destroying the entranceway and several adjacent windows. Gawain had them wait until the third DE was out of sight behind the house then they flashed in and stunned the two in front of the house. Gawain left Moody, Shacklebolt, Tonks and the other Order Members guarding the DE's in front and asked the white Phoenix to take him and the Aurors to the back. Dawlish, the third cloaked figure, saw the flash reflected in a window and was turning when five stunners dropped him.

Moody was repairing the front of the house while the others levitated the two bodies and walked them around to the back. Tonks had summoned the two wands from the cloaked figures in front and snapped them. When Tonks made her way to the back she summoned Dawlish's wand and snapped it too. Tonks was sure the three were Savage, Dawlish and Umbridge, but no one had yet lifted their hoods to identify them. Tonks knew that at the very least, if there was no other punishment, it would be embarrassing for them to have to replace their wands.

Once they were identified, Gawain realized he really didn't want to know. Tonks handed over their broken wands, Gawain smiled at her and nodded his head as if to say well done. Gawain ordered that their hoods be put back on and, using a Security Portkey, sent them to a holding cell to be charged with two attempted murders, Muggle property damage, violations of the Statute of Secrecy and being Death Eaters. He figured Umbridge could probably slither her way out of those charges although he hoped something might stick if he laid it on thick enough. He then put in a call to the Obliviator squad to clean up any Muggle memories. Gawain thanked the Order members and the white Phoenix, Hermione didn't dare change back to herself and risk being caught as an unregistered Animagus. Gawain asked Minerva if the Phoenix had a name?

Minerva responded, "His name is 'Caledfwlch', and he was Merlin's Phoenix." Although that was a lie, she could at least prove that Merlin had or was a white Phoenix and the name was correct even though she had mispronounced it.

The Phoenix looked at Minerva and produced a squawk of obvious chastisement before turning its back to her. "Apparently I've made the grievous sin of mispronouncing his name." responded Minerva as Gawain looked on in astonishment. "Welsh was never my best language, I'm sorry Merlin." The large white bird turned to face Minerva and bobbed its head in acknowledgement.

Hermione's Phoenix, now believed by some to be Merlin's Phoenix eventually delivered everyone outside the wards so they could apparate away unhindered. Tonks and Remus stayed at the house to finish packing up. Hermione delivered all the order members back to the Headmistress's office in Hogwarts and from there they floo'd away leaving Minerva, Harry and Hermione once she returned to her human form.

"Mr. Potter, Miss Granger … you and your group should consider naming your Animagus forms to allow us all to be clear in our minds who and what we are talking about. It should be something that doesn't tie back to your real names. Miss Granger, it would be convenient to call you 'Caledfwlch' allowing your presence in situations like today, to be more easily explained. Should Merlin's white Phoenix show up we can simply call him Merlin as the man no longer exists outside Rowena's portrait. It will also make your presence in transporting Mr. Potter around, somewhat explainable. I'll talk to Rowena and Merlin to make sure they are agreeable and the two of you don't show up together."

"I am still working on getting Rowena's wand out of Ollivander's Wand Shoppe, it may take a while since I'm trying to reclaim it as a Hogwarts artefact. Have you started looking for a new home for your Aunt, Harry?" asked Minerva and Harry shook his head to indicate no.

- - - - - - - -

Wed July 30 1997

Harry and Hermione arrived home in Oxford in the late afternoon, before Hermione's parents had even finished work for the day, in fact her parents would be running late due to several emergencies. They flashed into Hermione's bedroom as was normal and made their way to the living room sofa without saying anything. Harry seemed to be looking anywhere else but at Hermione since she returned from Privet Drive.

Hermione spoke first asking, "Something is bothering you, something about today, you've hardly said anything since I brought everyone back to Hogwarts and your emotions are completely jumbled … talk to me Harry … tell me what's bothering you."

Harry levitated Hermione up and sat her on his lap, then wrapped his arms around her holding her close and eye to eye before answering in a whisper, "You and Minerva explained everything that happened, and I'm more than pleased that it all turned out so well. Apparating everyone through the wards like that was an inspiration that no one expected."

"I was stuck in Hogwarts, and as it turned out, it was for the best, but I was so worried about you … so worried … I was going completely spare. The only thing that kept me here was Fawkes or I'd have run out through the gates and apparated to you in an instant."

"I should have realized. We haven't been apart at all over the last month have we?" she said rhetorically as she slipped her head past his to be cheek to cheek and hugged him tighter, "I missed having a sense of your feelings in the back of my mind, it was actually distracting to not have you there."

The sound of her voice and her closeness was helping and allowing him to sort himself out. "A month ago I would have fought back at having someone in my head, though before then it was usually Snape or Voldemort. Now I too miss the comfort of your presence, you have an amazing calming effect on me." Harry sighed and took a deep breath enjoying her scent and melting between her and the sofa.

Hermione thought her next question would be an easy one when she asked, "Harry … what would you like for your birthday tomorrow?"

His emotions that had quieted down during the last conversation rose in frantic fear and confusion again. He had been taking his potion regularly and since he was at Hogwarts today he had Poppy check on the results of the potion to confirm that all was good, he was 'safe'. He hadn't told her yet, he hadn't made the opportunity or had the courage. All he could think of until today was taking the next step in their relationship, the ultimate bonding of their love. He was scared, not of making love to her, but of what he would feel after. He had to say something, so he spoke. "Hermione … all I want for my birthday is you." He could immediately sense her boost in happiness as well as a spike of concern at which point he realized that what he said could have more than one interpretation. "We need to talk … my mind is in turmoil and I don't want to make a mistake."

"I don't want you to make a mistake either," she responded in a soft voice, "I don't want us to make a mistake. I couldn't possibly have been happier these last few weeks being with you."

"Good, perhaps that eases my concerns … now let me finish and don't jump to any conclusions. What I'm about to say may not be what you expect." Said Harry.

"Not what I expect … now I'm really interested … please continue." She said.

"I saw Madam Pomfrey today … while I was waiting … and worrying. She told me that the potion was working properly and everything is good."

"That's wonderful," Hermione replied.

"Yes … and no … I admit that during the last few weeks I've been anxiously anticipating this day … and … now that it's here … I'm not so sure. Don't misunderstand … half of me wants nothing more than to make love to you right here and right now … the other half of me can't justify doing it simply because it's now safe. That half wants to wait for a more … I don't know … appropriate time … whatever that means. It doesn't necessarily mean that I want to wait until we get married, but I think that, for now, I would prefer to wait if that's alright with you?" Harry couldn't see her face, but he could feel her elation building as he clarified his feelings, he knew he was suggesting the right thing.

"Oh Harry, you're right, I certainly wasn't expecting that," she said as she held him tighter. "I was quite prepared to go along with you, and I'm sure it would have been fantastic … as far as I'm concerned you deserve all the happiness you can get … and I agree that it feels right to wait … and that's what we'll do." As she spoke she could feel the concern and confusion dissipate from his mind. They couldn't very well hug each other tighter without causing pain so Harry rotated a bit, sliding down the back of the sofa while stretching out. Hermione followed him remaining firmly attached on top of him.

It seemed like only seconds went by when they heard the unmistakable sound of Dan clearing his throat followed closely by Emma snickering.

Neither teen felt they were being chastised so they made no effort to break apart … until Emma spoke, "Alright you two, time out, sit up."

"Yes Mum," Hermione whined, in acknowledgement as she and Harry swung their legs over the edge of the sofa and helped each other to sit up.

"You two look quite pleased with yourselves, what mischief have you been up to today?" asked Emma. "And can I trust you two to be home alone?"

"Yes," said Hermione with a conviction in her voice that she only gave when restating irrevocable facts from a reliable text book. Her parents' looks and attitude immediately changed from mildly humorous to concern. "We've just been talking over some things that happened today and we came to a consensus … so, yes you can trust us to be home alone … together."

Dan and Emma looked at each other while considering Hermione's statement before Emma asked, "Would you care to confirm that we are talking about the same thing?"

The teens took turns explaining their discussion of what seemed a few moments ago, which actually was about an hour ago. The teens started snickering while her parents slowly came to terms with what they had heard. "What do you two have planned for tomorrow." Asked Emma.

"I'd like to sleep in," said Harry.

"Then after lunch we might go to The Burrow." Said Hermione

"Then Gringotts," added Harry, "And later I'll take you all out to supper … You guys select the place, money is NO problem, I'm paying, NO arguments! Would you mind if a few of our school friends came along with us?"

"The four of us plus our four good friends …" said Hermione

"and Fred, George, Molly and Arthur would make a dozen." Added Harry. "If you don't mind being outnumbered with wizards and witches?"

"Don't forget Remus and Tonks … I think Remus would be upset if you didn't include him." Added Hermione.

"We'd love to see your friends again," said Emma and Dan nodded in agreement then asked, "They wouldn't turn us into frogs … would they?"

"Some of them might, given the chance … but we should be able to turn you back without too much trouble. Don't go giving Fred and George any ideas and don't eat or drink anything they give you."

"Those are the two with the joke shop … right?" asked Dan.

"Yep, a couple of real jokers they are," said Harry, "Hey, I think I've got a canary cream and some other samples upstairs. They gave me an assortment bag last week. I'll be back in a minute." Once Harry's back was to her, Hermione shook her head sadly from side to side hoping he wasn't actually going to eat any of those things. Harry, in the mean time, rushed upstairs to his room and rummaged through the dresser for the bag of samples before remembering they were in his trunk. When he arrived in the living room again he spread the contents of the bag out on the coffee table while Hermione began explaining them to her parents.

There appeared to be one or two of everything, but Hermione recognized only the older ones. The twins had been very creative lately. There were Nosebleed Nougats, Puking Pastilles, a Canary Cream, two portable swamps, a Giant Catherine wheel and several rockets that she recognized. Harry pointed out a red Dragons Breath as he popped it in his mouth. There were black, green and silver ones of the same shape. Several seconds after he swallowed it he roared like a Chinese Fireball while letting out a blast of flame that looked threatening enough to ignite the living room.

"Harry!" Hermione shrieked, "You could have burned the house down!"

"No way," he replied, "George told me that there's no heat in that flame so it can't burn anything or start a fire, He did warn me not to breathe the flame in as it had a horrid taste."

"Are these owl treats Harry?"

"No … Fred calls them 'Owl Tweets', they work like the Canary Creams except you turn into an owl."

Hermione shook her head in exasperation, there were still at least twenty items she didn't recognize on the table. "I'm going to have to pay more attention to their new products so I can identify them," she murmured to herself.

Harry smiled, then asked, "Having trouble keeping up with the twins dear?"

"McGonagall should have them teaching Potions if they can create all of this." Said Hermione.

"McGonagall is probably scared they would be able to sell their stuff right inside the school." Answered Harry.

"Too true, however, they'd be there to cleanup the mess."

Harry ate an Owl Tweet to show Dan the effect before Dan tried one, then Emma ate the only Canary Cream. Nobody tried the Nosebleed Nougats or Puking Pastilles and Hermione was quite happy to not chance any of the twins confections.

Harry helped Emma with the supper preparations while Dan and Hermione talked in the living room. During the meal they decided on a suitable place for Harry's birthday supper and Dan made the reservations. One of their patients, over the years, kept mentioning an Indian Restaurant that he liked very much. Mr. Samuels had been in yesterday and Dan had thought to get the name and location from him. It was more expensive and elegant than most others and usually busy but not full. The food was superb and the service excellent and they had semi-private rooms for family groups.

Later that evening Harry sent the invitations out via their rings except for Remus and Tonks, he used Fawkes to deliver the hastily scribbled invitation. He ended up inviting Minerva and that made fifteen, since Bill and Fleur were staying at The Burrow he also invited them. Dan called the restaurant again and arranged for more space.

The responses came back, by way of their rings through the evening hours before Harry and Hermione went off to bed. To maintain some sense of propriety in the house the two teens went to their separate bedrooms initially, once the doors were locked and the silencing charms applied Hermione apparated over to Harry's room where they always spent the night.

Tonight they didn't simply curl up together and drift off to sleep as was their normal practice. Harry, for as long as he could remember had always stayed up past midnight to wish himself a happy birthday and tonight Hermione was very pleased to be there with him. This was going to be the big one-seven for Harry and they were both excited about Harry coming of age. There were things that would change once he was seventeen...he could apparate; he could vote.......he could marry..

They started off talking, progressed to snogging and cuddling then before midnight came they began exploring each other thoroughly.

At first, Hermione was hesitant. Yes, they had touched each other lots of times before, but this was somehow different. She found that fondling Harry was really a tremendous turn-on. Much more so than before. It made her feel like a woman. Why am I so horny tonight? is it just that he's going to be of age? Hermione dismissed the thought. She was turned on by Harry often and thought nothing more if it than how pleasant it was to be near him .

Side by side with Hermione, the two of them enjoyed letting their hands roam. Harry lifted her nightgown so that he could touch her all over. At first, his hands explored the back of her legs and her bottom. Harry's interest in repeating their lovemaking was growing with every moment. When he felt the soft silkiness of her knickers, his erection throbbed in Hermione's hands.

Hermione, with an insistence that surprised Harry, brought his hand away from her bottom and to the front of her knickers. Harry felt the lace edge and he traced it with his fingers. Not content with his touch, she pushed his hand down the front of her knickers and between her legs. The moment that his fingers made contact with her core, she groaned, loud and long. She couldn't lie....she loved Harry and wanted to be his wife and lover.

As the clock threatened midnight, they came to a point where, in their passion, they were making enough noise to drown out the midnight chimes of the Grandfather clock in the living room and moments after the chimes they both came together. Exhausted, they ignored the warm slippery mess they both had a hand in creating. They smiled at each other and Hermione whispered 'Happy Birthday Harry' as they both drifted off to a blissful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N :-) I am going away soon and won't be back for three to four weeks and the internet access is questionable. I have posted all my 'spare' chapters of this story - hopefully I will have more when I return. The reason I haven't been furiously writing on this story is because another story idea migrated from the back of my mind to the front, and I haven't been able to shake it. There may be a double bonus on my return.