Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

A/N: [Reminder] Chapter 20, as it is currently written is at least an "R" if not "NC17" and in case you need to know, they don't actually have s_x. I don't want to loose readers just because the rating jumps up, this is your chance to convince me to change the story and keep the rating down to PG13 for the balance of the story. If you don't want to make your preference public in a review then go to my profile page and click on the email button. I will put the results at the beginning of chapter 20 and supply a link to the R rated chapter elsewhere should the vote go to PG13.

(18) Reminiscing

"In the Heads' Common Room before we went with McGonagall to Kings Cross. We were relaxing on the sofa, your head on my shoulder, my face in your hair."

"Can you still smell it?" Hermione was getting curious now.

"MmmHummmm, it's a flowery aroma that's coming from you!"

"My shampoo. I started using it last summer, and it has some rose and lilac in it. That other smell I was embarrassed to mention in that class … was you Harry. I knew it was you … you almost always smell like that."

"Why didn't you say anything to me?

"If I had come up to you and told you I loved you then … what would be the difference between me and any of a hundred other girls at school?"

"There would have been a big difference … you know me … you understand me. The others only want 'The Boy who Lived', even Ginny still doesn't know 'just Harry'. If I had realized where that smell was supposed to take me … to you … I … maybe this is for the best … we wouldn't have known the dangers back then … and there'd probably be a little Hermione or Harry crawling around somewhere now.

"There's a scary thought … bringing a couple of little people into our lives."

"You don't want kids?" Harry questioned.

"That's not what I meant … I don't want to have them right now … maybe not until Voldemort is gone, we can decide that later, after Hogwarts."

"There's a good plan," said Harry.

"Let's start at the beginning, the first train ride … what were your thoughts of me?" asked Hermione.

"You mean like when you came barging into the compartment searching for Neville's toad?" he asked.

"Yes, that's the first time we set eyes on each other … You remember I laughed at Ron's attempt to turn his rat yellow?"

"Drove him right crazy, you did. I felt sorry for him, but it was fun to watch … I guess that was your first row with Ron."

"I guess." She said in a downbeat tone, then brightened up saying, "I liked you though … after reading about you … I expected that you'd be an arrogant prat … something like Malfoy … I was pleasantly surprised. You were actually quite nice compared to the kids I was used to from muggle life. I was always the by the rules, egghead, bookworm type and nobody wanted to be friends with me."

"You had the same lonely childhood I did then. Nobody wanted to be friends with me either. Dudley and his pals would beat them up.

"Oh, Harry," she sighed, "You haven't said what you thought of me … I promise I won't get upset if you didn't like me." She said in a trailing voice.

"I thought you were bossy and a 'know it all', but somehow I had an idea we'd get along alright in the end. I was right about you being a 'know it all' and you are bossy … but for the right reasons, so it's good."

"That's …" she sighed, "Alright, I can live with that … what's next." she said, "The Troll Incident."

"Yea, I guess so" he said, "You've got to admit we make a great team, even as far back as that Troll. That's where we started being a team. You loosened up and became a little more human after that."

"But, that was more you and Ron saving my skin from that Troll."

"I think we all would have been in serious trouble if you hadn't looked McGonagall in the eyes and told her that outrageous lie. I think she was so shocked, she forgot to expel us, and then we ended up getting House points as well. Let's skip ahead." He said, "… When did you want me as more than a friend?"

"Fourth year I think, I wanted you to ask me to the Yule Ball so badly … by the time you and Ron thought of me, I had already agreed to go with Victor. I was so mad at you by the time you were desperate enough to ask me that I probably would have said no anyway. I figured … after that … you didn't see me as anything other than a friend, and I mostly gave up on you. What about you, when did you figure it out?"

"At the Yule Ball … when I saw you at the top of the staircase, that image is still burned into my mind. I'll never forget the way you looked, nervous, excited and incredibly beautiful. I never would have guessed in a million years, you could be that beautiful. I couldn't keep my eyes off you … Parvati got supremely mad and left me when someone asked her to dance. Up to that point in time, I never thought of girls as, Girls! You know I had a crush on Cho before and even after that, but I never knew what to do about it. I guess I had Voldemort on my mind and the impossible task ahead of me. After the Yule Ball, I tried thinking of us, but you didn't appear interested. I was afraid 'us' would split up the team, or 'us' would go sour like so many couples. I convinced myself that it was safer if we remained just friends."

"I wish it had been different." She said. "If we'd been together since the Yule Ball, I think we both would have been a lot happier. At least Ron has Luna now and Neville's with Ginny."

Their hands had been roaming slowly around each other's backs during the last few minutes. Now that the conversation was paused, they moved their heads so they were looking into each other's eyes and moments later they were kissing.

Once they broke apart, Hermione reluctantly suggested that they return to join the others and read the books Minerva had left them.

They were about half way back when a smallish, blonde coloured Centaur wearing a bikini top galloped past them before slowing and turning around. Both Harry and Hermione watched her closely as she turned around and approached them. There was a splotchy light brown ring around her neck, reminiscent of a butterbeer cork necklace as well as dot of red below each ear … the radish earrings. Her face, as soon as she looked up was obviously Luna.

"Hello Luna." Said Harry and Hermione in unison. "Congratulations," said Harry, "I assume you are the first of us to succeed."

"Not exactly Harry … I've been able to do this for over a year now. The other Centaur's know … they allow me to join them and wander through the forest whenever I want. I was trying to help the others to see that it wasn't all that difficult … Ginny may have trouble as she doesn't know how to apparate yet and Neville may need a word of encouragement from you Harry. Ron of course is Mr. Negativity"

"What else is new?" Said Hermione. "He can be a little thick at times."

"Yeah, but that's kind of a challenge … working around that while still letting him think some of my ideas are really his. Don't get me wrong … he's a brilliant strategist as you well know and very smart and capable in other things …"

"Merlin knows, I'm far from perfect myself … as long as we can make each other happy, that's what really counts."

"Hermione … Harry … there's a lot of things I've seen," continued Luna, "and I'm never sure when or if I should say anything. For example, I knew I'd be a Centaur before I even had the inclination to want to try to be an Animagus and I know who will be a white phoenix. I know the creature forms the rest of our group could be if they wanted to, and I have some clues where to start looking for a horcrux. There are some people whose lives I might be able to save … if I tell them in time … and others I know I can't."

"There are some tough calls there Luna." Said Harry, "If you can save some lives and prevent injuries I think you should. If you know someone is going to die … I'm just not sure I'd want to know if it was me … I don't know."

Soon they were back with the other three and Luna transformed back to herself. Harry pulled out his wand and actually used it for the first time in a week. He conjured three small, plush sofas in a circle, if you can call three a circle, so they could sit in pairs and read through McGonagall's book.

Ginny snuggled into Neville's side as they shared a book and Neville tried to elaborate on the process as best he could based on his apparition training in which he hadn't been entirely successful … yet. Luna landed herself in Ron's lap and tried with limited success to coach him through the book adding more detail and explanations where she could. Harry and Hermione proceeded through the book, discussing the concepts as they came up until they figured they had the idea. The main trick was that if you knew what creature you would be then you simply concentrated on that creature as your 'destination', the three D's of apparition applied except the destination was a creature not a place.

"Luna," said Harry, "I hate to disturb your apparent comfort, but it seems it will be much easier if we were to know what animals we are going to turn into. I believe you mentioned knowing what some of us will be …"

Luna sat up and held Ron's hand. "We each have very different shapes and some of us may need to find pictures in the library. Ronald, dear, you're going to be a small dog, Neville, you're an eagle owl and Harry … you may not like this, but you're going to be a snake." Luna paused for a moment …

"What about me and Hermione?" asked Ginny.

Ginny, you're going to be a spectacular Griffin … and Hermione is a …" was as far as Luna got.

"White Phoenix." gasped Hermione, "I hate heights and flying."

"Might not be so bad if you're doing the flying dear." chided Harry, and Hermione glared at him as if it was all his fault. The other four broke out laughing but Harry could see Hermione was not impressed … in the least.

"Wait till the next Quidditch match." Said Ginny, "They won't know which end of me is more dangerous." Everyone laughed.

"You and Harry both." Said Luna as everyone looked at her, confused. "An Occamy … can fly too." Now they all looked at Harry.

"I think we need some pictures." Said Harry, let's go to the Library.

<><><><><><><><>

Five of them went looking for pictures while Hermione asked Madam Pince for access to the Restricted Section to look for 'information'. She wouldn't tell Madam Pince what information she needed. After the gate was unlocked, Madam Pince watched Hermione enter.

She was used to the background noise beyond the gates as the old tomes muttered amongst themselves. Most students didn't use the tables in this corner of the Library because of the undulating drone that migrated through the gates. Madam Pince expected this, but what she didn't expect was the near silence when Hermione crossed the threshold. Madam Pince gasped, causing everyone to look at her, and she motioned Hermione to come back. Once Hermione re-crossed the threshold the noise level picked up again.

"All of you please remain here while I fetch the Headmistress." She stated as she locked the gates.

The students talked amongst themselves trying to determine the significance of the near silence when Hermione passed through the gates. Hermione couldn't remember anything in 'Hogwarts; A History' that could help them understand what happened.

Minerva returned with Madam Pince, both out of breath. As they recovered, Irma unlocked the gates again. Minerva asked Hermione alone to pass the gates. Silence ensued, though after a few moments you could make out the odd whisper from the books. Hermione came out and Minerva had them all, one at a time, enter and leave the section. Harry was last to enter, the ensuing silence was absolute, not even the odd whisper could be heard.

Irma handed Minerva a small notebook she had just borrowed from Minerva's bookshelf titled 'The Legends of Hogwarts Castle' before sitting in a nearby chair. The notebook was started by Rowena Ravenclaw herself and had entries from all the founders as well as Merlin. One section explained some of the obscure details of the school's library. McGonagall skimmed through the chapter on the Restricted Section and noted that when any of the Founders entered, the books fell silent. Further notes from 800 years ago mentioned that any direct descendant of a founder would cause the books to silence. She found another note from 550 years ago that said that several members of a family whose magical signatures showed traces of all four founders had the same silencing effect. The note continued on to say that the husband of one of the members, even though he was a muggle, after a time, had a similar effect. Minerva read the passages out loud and then found another note in Rowena's writing that read, "Anyone who can silence the Tomes should advance to me and be recognized."

"There's a life size painting of Rowena Ravenclaw in the back corner of the Restricted Section," said Madam Pince, "Poor thing hasn't been cleaned in hundreds of years, no one ever goes in that corner. The books that are commonly used are kept near the gates as most students become spooked the further they go in."

"Well Harry … Hermione … The most recent note in this topic is 550 years old, so I expect it has been at that long since anyone has greeted her portrait. I think it's time to present yourselves to Rowena and see what happens." said Professor McGonagall.

"Are you sure this is a safe idea?" asked Harry.

"This note is in Rowena's handwriting Harry, I'm as sure as I can be that it's safe." said Minerva. "I will go in with you if you want, but I think you two need to go alone or together for the painting to respond."

"I don't like surprises like this," said Harry, "Come on dear," he said to Hermione, "Let's find out what this is all about." They entered through the gate, the entire Library became unnervingly quiet. They continued walking hand in hand to the back then turned left following the last row of shelves into a dark corner. As they reached the portrait, several wall mounted torches came alight and they could see the painting clearly. They both stood in front of the grimy painting, and waited a few moments not knowing what to expect. Hermione brought her hand across and down the portrait and it cleaned up very nicely she thought. Rowena's robes were a bright, almost iridescent blue even though the painting must have faded over the years. The trim and stitching on her robes looked silver, but in this light could easily have been bronze and her hair, a milk chocolate brown though not bushy as Hermione's. While the image of Rowena was slowly coming awake Hermione said to it, "My name is Hermione Granger and this is Harry Potter … we were told to come and greet ..." Was as far as she got before Rowena stepped out of the portrait and took their clasped hands in hers.

"A daughter of mine and the son of Merlin and Godric … it has long been foretold that we would meet during a time of crisis. Follow me." She said as she turned around and stepped back into and apparently through the portrait. The portrait was narrower than a normal door, though just as tall. Harry followed Rowena through and Hermione, still holding his hand came through last into a room about the size of the Gryffindor Common Room.

Once in the room Rowena motioned them to a round table with seating for three. A tea service trolley appeared and followed her over.

While the tea poured itself, the sugar and cream walked off the tea cart onto the table and wandered around the table on short little legs. The now full tea cups and saucers followed the cream and sugar onto the table and positioned themselves in front of each person. Both the teens had come out of their state of shock as the tea distributed itself and they were looking around the room. There was a wall of bookshelves, full to overflowing of ancient looking texts and notebooks. Harry could see that Hermione's gaze had stopped there and she appeared to be trying to read each title from here. The opposite wall had a warm fireplace and plenty of comfortable chairs as well as a large plush sofa. The wall they entered from had a painting of each founder as well as a portrait of Merlin, all life size and narrow as was Rowena's that they came through. The far wall had a collection of weapons mounted on it and two suits of armour standing between two doorways.

Harry turned to Rowena as she spoke. "Though I haven't talked with many over the centuries I do keep an eye on the school. I can wander freely from painting to painting throughout the school and there are several portraits of me elsewhere that I can travel between. Hermione dear," she said, "I was disappointed when the sorting hat placed you in the House of Gryffindor … though it has been obvious since that time that you need to be there. I see you have noticed my personal library, there is information in there that you'll need. The books can be removed from this room, but not from the castle, not even onto the grounds."

"You can't be alive … not from so long ago … and you're not an ordinary portrait." Said Harry, "What are you?"

"I", said Rowena, "Am the cleverest witch of MY age and you are inside my portrait."

Harry responded with a look of surprise and amazement.

"Can we bring others to visit with you and learn from you and your library?" Asked Hermione.

"Certainly dear, but only those you trust with your life. Anyone passing through my portrait that intends to hurt you … either of you … or do harm to the school, will never be seen again. Those you bring through once will be able to come through on their own afterwards."

<><><><><><><><>

After Harry and Hermione had been out of sight for a minute or so the noise volume began to increase to its normal level causing some concern and conversation amongst the group. Ron wanted desperately to follow his friends even though Luna was trying to calm him by telling him that Harry and Hermione were all right. All the students were getting excited and concerned until Minerva placed her firm grip on Ron's shoulder, he calmed down and looked at her with a troubled expression on his face.

"Trust Luna." Said the Headmistress and everyone calmed down once Ron's agitation was eased. Minerva conjured a tea service on a nearby table, much to the dismay of Madam Pince though she kept it to herself as there were no books out.

"They'll be out in about fifteen minutes," said Luna, "Then we can all meet Rowena. Let's have some tea while we wait, thank you Professor. Oh, and we need to find pictures of an Occamy, a Terrier and a Griffin for later today."

"I can find those for you." Said Madam Pince.

All the teens looked in startled amazement as Madam Pince got up and strolled half way down the Library before turning down an aisle. A minute later she returned from another direction with two books and placed them on the table in front of Luna. "If you're taking them away, sign them out before you leave or I'll have Argus hunt you down."

"Thank you Madam Pince." Responded Luna as she, Ginny and Ron leafed through the books looking for terrier and Griffin pictures.

"And just who, if I may ask is the Occamy?" queried McGonagall.

"Harry." Replied Neville. "I'm an Eagle Owl."

"And just how do you know this?"

"I told them." Said Luna matter of factly.

"Oh," said Minerva, "And you are?"

"A Centaur, but I thought you didn't want to know."

"I don't want to see you transform, but I suppose I should know so we don't ignore you if you're injured. I think Albus mentioned seeing an unusual Centaur around here last year, was that you?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"Albus thought it must be a student, but we were never close enough to find out. I suppose you can apparate without any problems too?"

"Yes Ma'am." Said Luna again.

"These kids shouldn't be able to do that … they're too young … they're …" said Irma.

"They're a bright bunch too." Said Minerva, "That leaves a Terrier and a White Phoenix."

"We didn't say anything about a White Phoenix." Said Ron.

"No … Albus did … he expected Harry to be the White Phoenix. Is it you, Ron?"

"No … I'm a silly dog." He said as he pushed the book towards McGonagall.

"This one?" she asked, and Luna nodded. "This is a very brave and smart animal, not unlike you, Mr. Weasley. I'm sure you'll be able to track down a certain silver pawed rat of your acquaintance, without any difficulty."

That brought Ron's attitude back as well as his smile, he eagerly took the book back and thanked the Headmistress. "That leaves Hermione as the White Phoenix … that hates to fly." Said Ron and Minerva smiled.

They continued to discuss animals and Animagus transformation until the droning background noise stopped abruptly. "They must be coming back." Said Luna.

<><><><><><><><>